Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 9,600 Words
  • 2,375 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Mature story contains dark themes involving graphic violence and taboo topics that may contain triggers for sensitive readers. Please do not read further if this bothers you.

Dawn of Tears - 21. Dinner and Discovery

Note to Readers: We all make mistakes in life. Sometimes they are little mistakes, other times they are big mistakes. The difference between mistakes made by leaders and by regular people are usually measured by body bags and lives ruined. That's something I learned the hard way.

 


"Deacon Roberts, let me introduce you to Major Daniel Unger, US Army and the Chief of Staff, Dylan Jacobs, Lieutenant Martha Ellington of the US Navy, and Captain Camus of the United States Marine Corps. Last but not least, this young man is Jimmy Connolly, a close friend of Dylan's." Paul Holt spoke as he led the Utah delegation into the conference room. The officers were all dressed in their dress uniforms and shook hands with the man as they were introduced. I was wearing the suit that had been laid out for and shook his hand as well, resisting the urge to sweep a control into him. I didn't want to risk something like that if it wasn't needed. There was always too much risk of being noticed.

"It's a pleasure to meet all of you." Deacon Roberts said. He was a tall, patrician looking man with gray showing at the edges of otherwise dark hair. He was wearing a finely tailored dark suit that was as nice as the one I was wearing. "These men with me are Deacon Timms, who bears responsibility for our Agriculture and Transportation programs. Next to him is Deacon Davidson who works with our Defense programs. Deacon Mangum works in my Foreign Relations group. We've also brought two of our younger citizens, Ms. Tina Rothschild and Jeremy Young.

"I'd like to welcome all of you." I said when he finished the introductions. "I hope that this dinner will be satisfactory. Please, have a seat."

The table seating arrangement had already been faxed to them before they had come aboard, so they all knew where their seats were. The air crew had covered the conference table with a crimson table cloth that was very finely textured. Fine china and crystal were set on the table as well and water was already poured in the glasses. As people lined up at their chairs, Roberts stood at the seat closest to the door and waited for me to reach mine, sitting at the same time as I did, followed by everyone else. I had Holt sitting on my left and Deacon Timms on my right. Holt had Deacon Davidson on this other side, with Captain Camus next to him. The girl, Tina Rothschild sat next Camus and Martha Ellington. Martha, a PR professional and consummate conversationalist would have no problems sitting next to Deacon Roberts. On Roberts's other side sat Deacon Mangum, a stern looking man with fading blond hair and a growing bald spot. Jimmy got to sit between Deacon Mangum and the Jeremy Young boy. Both Jeremy Young and Tina Rothschild were close to me in age, and I guessed they might be a year younger at the most. That meant they were possible dangers, as Paul had suggested, but I really thought he was wrong. Besides, if they tried anything with Jimmy, the most likely target, we'd all know in a heartbeat, and he was well protected by his bond with me. Major Unger completed the seating arrangement, sitting between Jeremy Young and Deacon Timms who was on my right.

"A fine table setting." Deacon Roberts said as the three female air crew members came in, also dressed in the full dress uniforms and setting salads down gently before each person. A dumbbell service hoisted full trays to a port just outside the cabin and they had commandeered one of the other air force crew members who normally worked on Communications to help them by loading the service from the kitchen. "One would almost think we were in a fine hotel or home instead of an airplane."

"The plane itself was ordered by the last administration." I responded very politely. "It was modified a bit to make it fit our use more, but most of the décor was already chosen and we decided changing it to more utilitarian designs would have just been a further waste of resources."

"Ah, being forced to accept luxuries instead of wasting them." Roberts said with a huge hint of irony in his voice. "Such a tragedy when we're forced to accept such things."

"I'm sure they'll find some way to get me back for it." I said and he smiled, taking a bite of his salad after pouring a bit of dressing on it.

"I trust you aren't too uncomfortable here then?" He asked after chewing the bite he'd taken.

"No, but the Professors seem to think they can monopolize my time more now that we're away from the hustle of Alabama." I answered, getting a polite chuckle from several people

"So you are continuing your education despite your duties?" Deacon Timms asked from next to me.

"The two do not have to be mutually exclusive." I answered him. "The Professors travel with me. Their cabins are just on the other side of the passageway and my schedule is blocked off for several hours each day while they give me my lessons."

"What subjects do you study?" Deacon Davidson asked.

"A full spectrum of the usual subjects." I explained. "English, politics, physical and life sciences, mathematics, history, and sociology are the areas we currently focused on. I was even informed today that I have m calculus final in two days and my history and sociology finals sometime next week."

"Maybe we should let you go study instead of keeping you for dinner." Deacon Roberts joked, getting several laughs.

"Thanks for the concern, but I should find plenty of time to study tonight and tomorrow night." My voice almost broke slightly and I blushed. I thought I'd gotten past that point. I must be more nervous than I thought.

"You don't have religious studies?" Jeremy Young asked in a slightly nervous voice. "I thought that with your dad being a minister that religious studies would be included."

"My religious studies are primarily with my father." I temporized, lying only slightly. "I do any religious studies he assigns on my own time, as a family."

"Family and faith are always closely interconnected, and form the strongest of ties between parents and children." Deacon Roberts said firmly, briefly glancing in the direction of our two guards, one of whom was Roger Killmer, his nephew. Of course he didn't know I knew that, or that Killmer was far more loyal to me than he would believe possible.

"Yes, they are." Major Unger agreed immediately. "I've noticed a welcome trend among our men that many of them are actually reading bibles in their spare time. I think Dylan's example has been a good one for them. I even saw one or two reading the Book of Mormon the other day."

"Truly?" Deacon Davidson said in apparent surprise. "I'm surprised you'd allow members of our faith as part of your mission. Aren't you worried they'll throw off their uniform and come home?"

"The United States is a place of welcome for all people of faith." I said immediately, before anyone else can react. "We're here to bring about an end to the confusion that lies between the federal government and the State of Utah. We are not here to tell you to submit or die, we are not here to deliver ultimatums, but we are to resolve the differences between us. People of your faith are as welcome in the United States, and as valuable to us as the members of my father's own church."

"A refreshing attitude considering the anger and hostility we have so often experienced from the United States." Deacon Timms said sourly. "I only wish we could be certain such attitudes would remain in the future."

"History shows just how rare such an attitude truly is." Deacon Roberts said sadly. "History shows we are not always welcome, and the blood of our people has soaked into too many lands for us to ever forget."

"History is something to be learned from, not a justification for unreasoned action." I said firmly, and there was silence as people ate some more. I realized we'd headed too quickly into the issues between us. Fortunately Holt changed the topic by turning to Davidson and asking him a question at the same time that Timms asked me a question about research on new hybrid engines.

The rest of the meal passed relatively pleasantly as people spoke to the people next to them and stayed off of any topics related to the status of Utah and the federal government. Timms was quite interested in technology research on fuel substitutes and alternative energy sources, and had some ideas I found quite interesting.

Mary Collins and her staff had really outdone themselves with dinner. It was quite possibly one of the best I'd had in a long time and the compliments from our guests were quite effusive. I noticed that both of the kids my age were eating very hungrily, earning a disapproving glance from Deacon Roberts that stopped the boy, Jeremy Young from taking a third helping of the roast beef. The dessert was equally impressive, a cream pudding that was glazed over and tasted very sweet.

"I must thank you for an excellent meal, and excellent conversation." Deacon Roberts said as he wiped his mouth and placed the red cloth napkin on the table beside his plate.

"I am happy we had this chance to get to know one another better." I replied and he nodded.

"I believe it is customary for small tokens to be exchanged at such diplomatic events." Roberts said in a pleasant tone. "Tina, would you please?"

The girl, with her long blond hair falling off her shoulders smiled pleasantly and stood up from her seat. I moved slightly in my chair as she approached, holding out an ornately covered book as she approached. The pleasant dinner had relaxed me somewhat and I was already congratulating myself that things had gone so well.

"This is the Book of Mormon." She said when she stood near my chair. "The President himself gave it to me as a gift for you."

"Thank you." I said carefully, thanking Holt for suggesting we have something ready. Like Roberts, we'd chosen to have Jimmy be the one to present it, a copy of the new constitution that was to be voted on in April (yes, another delay). It was set in a red leather binder and was elegantly drawn up on parchment style paper.

"I hope this might lead you to a new insight of faith." Tina said as I took the ornately covered book in hand, her fingers moving just a fraction so they brushed over mine, and the instant she was speaking, I felt a power reaching into me from her. It was blocked of course, by my own power that roared to life within me at the attempted intrusion, but my mind was stunned into inactivity by the shock that Paul had been right after all. Unfortunately, my body and the defensive training I'd been ingrained with the past few months weren't paralyzed by my total shock. The book went flying across the room and my hand gripped her wrist in a crushing grip. Surprise filled the room as the book went flying and the girl gasped in pain. My officers were all surprised at what they saw to be an attack by me on a defenseless girl, and the Utah delegation was also surprised.

"Now." Deacon Roberts yelled, throwing something from his hand that he'd taken out while everyone watched the girl moving towards me. A bang and cloud of smoke filled the room suddenly as whatever he threw exploded. Pandemonium filled the room as several things happened at once. All of my people reached for the guns under the table as the Utah delegation reached inside their suites and pulled out small masks that they covered their faces with. Davidson threw one of the masks towards Killmer who was drawing his weapon. My last sight before passing out was him catching it and pressing it to his mouth.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Listen to me Roger, you have to know something about how the boy resisted Tina's Holy Touch." Roberts's voice was distant, as if I was hearing it through a tunnel, and I knew that we'd made a vital mistake in our planning. We'd never expected use of some sort of sleeping gas. That one vital flaw had caused disaster, but it wasn't complete at least. I could feel my hands were tied behind my back, handcuffed actually and I was resting on my side, obviously on the floor.

"Tina, any luck with those soldiers?" Roberts's voice was clearer now, and I had to resist the urge to moan or open my eyes.

"No Deacon." The girl's voice was sounding stronger as well. "They all resist when I try to put God's Will on them. The other officers are all under God's control, but I can't seem to break through these others."

"Jeremy?" Roberts's voice sounded again.

"No sir, the boy resists as well. I don't understand it at all." Jeremy Young's voice was ragged like he was breathing hard.

"What's the situation outside?" Roberts asked.

"Our man got the outer door open in time." Davidson's voice answered. "I can't change any of the camera views, but we gassed the people in the galley before they could come up. The guards back of the cabin collapsed but more appeared with gas masks on before they could get us out of here. Your nephew's code can open the door, but they've got people stationed there."

"Roger, they won't shoot us if try to leave will they?" Roberts's voice was concerned now.

"Their orders are to not let anyone off this plane with Dylan." Roger Killmer's voice was firm. I was glad that he was holding onto his orders. I'd been very clear, and thought it was just overkill when Paul suggested that I tell Killmer to play along if we ended up in a hostage situation. "What is this stuff that Tina and Jeremy are talking about?"

"God's given us a gift beyond measure, nephew." Roberts's voice was filled with pride now. "About five years ago we found out that some of our children were blessed by God with his power. They can channel his will through their touch render sinners subservient to any command God chooses to give through them. We've made great works here at home with their touch. We've also found that through God's kiss they can bring someone born and raised in the outside world to God's cause as thoroughly as you have been by being raised with us, Roger."

"Amazing." Roger Killmer's voice held just the right amount of awe to it, I thought.

"But somehow, this Dylan Jacobs seems to have a similar power." Roberts's voice filled with worry now. "Tina was supposed to put a simple thought into him that the Book of Mormon would show him the way and then he could be brought to the Prophet's side willingly. We'd have sent him back to his father, after he'd been Sealed to Tina through God's Kiss. She would have returned with him, to make sure he followed what we wanted, keeping our people free from his government. If it had worked, we'd have continued these useless talks until we were able to bring him before the Prophet alone. A few more meetings with Tina touching him would have done God's work and we'd have been free from any threat."

"What now, Deacon?" Roger Killmer asked quietly.

"We'd planned for this too." Roberts said slowly. "But this isn't working out right after all. There's still some of their people awake outside. At least we got all the ones in here. Tina and Jeremy can put God's Touch on them, make them forget anything but the dinner, and we'd have taken the boy with us Sealed to Tina and things would still have worked. We have to figure out why it won't on them. They can't resist God's work like this."

"Maybe you should have Jeremy try on Dylan instead." Roger said. "If Dylan can do things like they can, Jeremy might work better."

"What makes you think that?" Roberts asked him.

"The people that God's Touch isn't working on makes me think that maybe he's done something with them." Roger Killmer said cautiously.

"It's possible he's Sealed them to him, disgusting as the idea may be." Roberts admitted.

"Why is it so disgusting?" Roger Killmer asked.

"The Seal contains a level of…intimacy to it." Roberts's voice was low now.

"Then I think that's why Tina and Jeremy can't do anything with them." Killmer said with a note of disgust in his voice. He was a good actor after all. "There are rumors about why that kid, Jimmy, is with him. I heard some of the other soldiers saying that they were homosexual lovers. These other guards all spend a lot of time alone with Dylan as well."

"Jeremy, try to Seal the Jacobs boy." Roberts said in an angry tone.

"But, Deacon, you said I was to never…" Jeremy's voice sounded frightened now.

"I know what I said!" Roberts shouted. "I know after we killed the Smith boy we never planned to create such an abomination again, but if this is what is needed, you'll do it. Don't worry; we won't kill him until we're done with him. You'll just have to go with him back to his home."

"Yes, Deacon." Jeremy's voice was resigned now, and I could hear his footsteps approach.

"Will it work with him still asleep?" Killmer asked, sounding slightly worried.

"Yes, it will." Roberts said in a very certain tone. I started worrying right then and decided to let out a low moan. Killmer might think I was being threatened beyond the level where my orders held his hand. If he reacted with violence now, the situation was likely to escalate too far out of control.

"He's waking up." Killmer's voice almost sounded relieved and I cursed how protective the bond made my circle.

"Hurry boy." Roberts's voice was loud, and a hint of panic was in it as he spoke. The footsteps of Jeremy quickened and I could feel someone next to me. A hand landed on my shoulder, pushing me onto my back and crushing my hands a little. A mouth descended on mine just as I opened my eyes, looking into a set of ice blue eyes. Those eyes widened as, when our lips touched, his power and mine met each other like two tidal waves crashing into each other.

I could feel so many things as the waves of our powers crashed into each other. There was pain, sadness, loneliness, all mixed in with a reticence to be there, to be doing this. The kissed deepened just a little, and our powers changed subtly, no longer crashing against each other, but flowing in around each other, as if tasting each other cautiously, and I could feel something new from him…hope.

"Deacon, I think it might be working." I heard Jeremy's voice again as his lips pulled off of mine. "He's not really fighting anymore, but, I…uh…ah…"

"Spit it out, boy." Roberts was impatient now.

"I think he's going to require more…work than anyone ever before." Jeremy's voice said softly. "He won't fight me, but the pain from the handcuffs…and well you might not want to see what happens because it's going to take a lot of work."

"Roger, can you take him into that cabin?" Roberts asked with a strong hint of revulsion in his voice. Jeremy was lying; he knew I was no where near to being beaten, which meant he wanted privacy. "I hate to ask this son, especially so soon after you've come home, but make sure the Jacobs boy doesn't hurt Jeremy. It's disgusting what's going to happen and he's right, I don't ever want to see it again."

"If it's necessary for God's work, I can withstand a lot of things." Roger Killmer said determinedly.

"You always were a good boy." Roberts now spoke in a voice filled with pride. "Pick up the Jacobs boy and you can take the handcuffs off in there. Be sure not to come into contact with his skin and you'll be protected."

Moments later I could feel Killmer pick me up and carry me into my cabin, placing me gently on the bed. He also told the Jeremy boy to wait by the door in case I did fight back. After laying me on my side, Killmer leaned forward and whispered in my ear, asking me if I was alright and what I wanted him to do.

"Wait by the door, Roger." I whispered back. "We're…negotiating right now. There's no way he'll harm me. Just make sure no one watches. You're doing great."

"He's not moving at all." Roger said as he stood up straight.

"I told you he wouldn't." Jeremy said indignantly. I lifted my head just a bit to see Jeremy's hand brush Roger, and he recoiled violently. He stared from Roger to me while Roger's hand went for his pistol. When Jeremy spoke next, it was in a very harsh but quiet whisper. "No, sorry."

"Be careful." Roger said after a moment, relaxing his hand from his pistol as Jeremy looked at him in fear. Jeremy saw me looking up from the bed and sat down on the edge cautiously.

"Get up here; you're supposed to be bonding me." I whispered forcefully and he crawled up on the bed. I turned on my side, and he turned on his, wrapping an arm over my waist. I did the same and we were soon nose to nose. I noticed his was long and thin, and his longer bangs hung nearly to his pale eyebrows.

"I can't believe you're really like me." Jeremy whispered.

"There are more of us." I told him just as quietly. "Jeremy, what do you want?"

"Is this why they sent you, so you could do this to us and get what you want?" He asked me instead.

"No." I said softly, lying just a little since dad had indeed suggested that if it was necessary. "I use it to defend myself. My guards are bonded to me, what Roberts called 'Sealed'. Once I figured out what it was, I asked them before I did bond them to me. They're part of my circle willingly. There's another one like us on board, Tim. He's here because he was being used by a bastard up in Idaho like you're being used here. He's with me so I can keep an eye on him, so no one tries to use him. My dad, the President knows about me, and about Tim. He doesn't really like it, but let's me do certain things to protect myself."

"He doesn't use you to force others to do things?" Jeremy asked with wide eyes.

"No, and he won't use you either." I said.

"I'm gay." Jeremy whispered. "He won't want a gay boy around you."

"Kiss me." I said softly and his eyes widened. Changing my mind I moved forward an inch and covered his lips with mine. This time it wasn't fear, anger, or a desire to defend myself that brought my powers up, but a feeling of sympathy for Jeremy, and a very real desire. He was cute, and his body was warm against mine though our clothes. I could feel an answering passion rising through his power as they met again, crashing in waves once more, but in an exciting way.

I felt something else as the kiss deepened and I hardened my grip against his waist. There was innocence to him, an innocence that reminded me oddly of Tim. What was it about boys who'd been used like they had that let them somehow remain so innocent? He hated how he was forced to do things, and as our powers flowed more deeply into each other I began to see some of those things.

I saw another boy with brown hair, looking like he was maybe eight years old, and an innocent kiss that turned into something more, and I knew that it was an eight year old Jeremy that had bonded the boy to him, not knowing what he was doing so young. That surprised me tremendously. I had thought maybe our powers didn't being until puberty, but here was proof that they began far younger.

I knew that the next scene was a year later, and an angry father walking in on two boys in the garage, doing things they shouldn't. The father, a deacon in the church, then reacting to a panicked control by the little Jeremy to leave them alone, and the instant obedience. Unfortunately the father realized what had happened, and after that never came close enough to touch Jeremy again. A week later the experimenting began, first on family members but then on others. Then a stranger came, an older man with silver hair who laughed when he saw what Jeremy could do, and told Jeremy's father that great things were happening for God's people.

Then there was the image of ten-year old Matthew Smith being shot in the head because Jeremy had refused to kiss a girl and do to her what he did to Matt. They had made Jeremy himself bury the boy on the back of the farm. There was no fear of the local sheriff in this small town. He was a member of the church, and followed the will of God over the will of man.

Images came then, faster and faster, and I saw the rise to power of the Prophet in the days before and after the beginning of the crisis. I saw the work Jeremy did, and he'd heard there was a girl who could do what he did. Jeremy was kept in a stark room most of the time, isolated from most people, only allowed to see the girls and women he'd bonded on rare occasions, just enough to keep them certain he was safe. Then came the days of the rebellion, the assumption of power and the coup within the church itself when Jeremy was led in and met Tina for the first time as they exerted controls over the church leaders so they would establish this new man as their Prophet, their President.

Jeremy might have followed them willingly, but they had made one vital mistake when they killed Matthew Smith. I also learned first hand what happened when someone you knew, cared about and had been bonded to for a long time died, and that was you felt that moment of their death. You could feel the life passing from their body, passing into the unknown, and there was both a sense of loss and a sense of joy at that moment.

I learned even more about the bond, and what to expect as time would pass for me and the people of my circle. I would grow more aware of them as time passed, sense their feelings and the mine when we were close enough. Distance would reduce that sensitivity, but it would become a more emotional connection, melding us closer and closer together. I wondered if distance would lessen or change the effects of the bond and if that was why neither Tim nor I had felt it when a bonded died in the past, but I didn't want to experiment for the answer to that question.

We pulled back from the kiss then, and I looked into those ice blue eyes and felt something I'd felt before, but never as strongly before. I felt a connection to this handsome person across from me. I knew, from what he'd shown me that we were very close in age. He'd just turned fourteen a week after me, but our upbringing had been vastly different. He had been a tool for years, but didn't want to be a tool ever again.

This time it was my turn as he moved to touch his lips to mine. I called up memories of growing up with my first family, lessons from my dad about thinking for myself, of using my intelligence correctly. Then I showed images through our connected power of my becoming friends with Henry, and our first days in the crisis, and our bond of friendship and brotherhood that formed. Then I showed him Jimmy, and that first innocent bonding, and I could feel his surprise and envy. Then I showed my attempted bonding with Henry and how it had become so different than either of us expected. I could feel his intense envy then of my having a brother who shared our abilities, and his desire to meet Henry and be friends with him too.

I was careful in what I showed him of my memories of my interactions with dad. Only the supportive memories were shown to him, and I realized he couldn't tell I was holding anything back. He was weaker than me, I realized suddenly. He was stronger than Henry had been last time I'd seen him, but he was still weaker. Then I showed him memories of my bonding the people in my circle, and how we'd become close and I felt a slight jealousy in him at that. Then it was over, and our powers were drawing away from each other.

"Will you take me away from here?" He asked me quietly.

"Yes." I answered instantly. "But, you know, I can't leave until things are fixed here, and we'll have to fix a lot of things."

"I don't understand, why can't we just leave things here?" He stated in a whisper. "Who cares what happens here?"

"A lot of people do." I answered. "It's a long, complicated answer."

"Give it to me after." Jeremy whispered. "For now, let's just work on getting out of here."

"Jeremy, I wasn't going to use my powers here before." I whispered softly. "Now, though, I've seen what's going on and I will have to, not because I'm told to, but because it's necessary."

"I don't…I don't feel as bad if it's me who chooses to do that." He whispered after a moment. "I trust you. What you showed me…you're smarter than me, you understand things so much better. If you tell me we have to do it, then I'll do whatever it is you want."

"You don't have to do anything." I said instantly. I knew now that if he thought he was being forced to do something, he'd react badly. "I can do it on my own, but it will be easier if you choose to help."

"I like you, Dylan." He whispered and leaned in to kiss me again. This time the kiss was different, and so was his power as it met mine. It was filled with pure passion and had a desperate quality to it, as if he was desperate for something to cling to, and I felt an answering passion rise up in me to meet his. This time our tongues met as I pushed mine into his mouth. I felt something rising up in him as we kissed, a rising hope and I moved my arm towards his pants. A moan escaped his lips as I unzipped him and took him in my hand. It wasn't another few moments before he exploded in an orgasm, and I almost joined him, but didn't quite reach that point. Instead I felt our powers, merging softly, but his were now wrapped inside of mine.

Something now connected us, almost but not like when I bonded someone. I couldn't control him, I knew instinctively. He still had his own will, but he was now connected to me and I felt a wave of pure emotion from him that I recognized instantly. It was love.

Not the brotherly love I felt for Henry or Paul, but a pure and passionate love. Lust was intermingled and a part of it, a desire to explore every part of me, to entwine himself in me so tightly that he'd never leave. I may not be able to control him with a simple command, but I realized in that moment he'd handed his heart and soul to me. I felt an answering love to him, and an answering lust as well, although not as powerful as the one he felt for me. Still, it was my first experience with an actual romantic feeling for someone and it felt so damn good I wanted to shout..

"Your turn." He whispered fiercely, unzipping my slacks quickly and pulling my still pounding erection out. I started to protest, we had work to do, but I knew that bonding required the bondee to reach orgasm, and I really wanted this. His hand was soft, silky smooth and it wasn't long before I was experiencing my own orgasm, and exhaling harshly. Oh yes, I definitely liked this Jeremy. I was tempted to lock us in here and damn the consequences of it just so we could explore each other some more, but duty was a stronger force inside of me.

"Okay, you've just bonded me." I said when I had caught my breath a moment later and he'd zipped both of us back up. The bedspread was a mess between us, and I strongly suspected there were drops on us. "Tell them that it finally worked, but it exhausted you, that you won't be able to do much for a while. You've never faced this before so it shouldn't be too suspicious. Tell them I've 'sealed', I think that is the term they use to describe it, most of the crew so that all you have to do is tell me to tell them what to do and they'll obey. Tell them we can just order the crew bonded to me to stand aside, and they will."

"Okay, just make sure you act the right way, and tell them you're dedicated to the work of the Prophet and God now." Jeremy responded. "Oh, and you better change your clothes. You're kind of messy and the sight of that will freak them out big time."

"Okay, love." I whispered, pecking him on the lips and grinning foolishly. He was grinning too and we paused to stare at each other. Did he find my eyes as beautiful as his were?

"Get moving." Jeremy whispered. "The longer this take the more suspicious they'll get."

"You got it." I said, jumping off the bed excitedly and heading over to my wardrobe as I kicked off the civilian clothes. Killmer was watching me carefully, with a worried expression. My smile calmed him down though.

"You okay Dylan?" He asked me carefully as I finished stripping down and started to put on another set of civilian slacks and dress shirt.

"Perfect." I whispered back. "Jeremy and I talked. He didn't like being forced to the things he was doing. He's with me now."

"He's part of the circle?" Killmer was surprised. "But I thought that couldn't happen"

"Touch him." I said and Killmer crossed to where Jeremy was now standing by the bed and hesitantly touched him. He looked surprised as he came towards me.

"He feels more like you now." Killmer said. "It's not the same as the others in the circle. I can still feel him from when he touched me before, but now he's different. I can feel you in him, and I can feel that he's almost yours, but it's not like you're his if that makes sense."

"Somehow it does." I said with a smile as I finished buttoning up the shirt. I nodded at Jeremy who led the way out, Killmer following closely behind. I noticed as I entered the conference room that Holt was standing behind the Tina girl, and realized that Paul had been right about him as well. From now on I would listen to Paul about these things. The four 'Deacons' were standing in a knot, talking to each other in hushed tones, but they stopped when Jeremy returned to the room with me behind him. I did my best to look at the back of Jeremy's head and look as lovingly at him as I could. It really wasn't too hard as I felt my feelings towards him bubbling inside. They felt nice, like that warm sunny day in Tucson had.

"It worked, Deacon." Jeremy said immediately, sounding tired. "It wasn't easy, and he fought, mentally at least, very hard before I was able to beat him, but God's power is always greater, isn't it, sir?"

"It is." Roberts said smugly, looking me over like a man looks over a new car he'd just bought. "So, Mr. Jacobs, you thought you'd do to me what we've done to you?"

"No sir." I replied, ducking my head and trying to look down. "I'm not supposed to use it without direct permission and I didn't have permission here to use it, but now I'm dedicated to doing the work of the Prophet and of God."

"Yes, you are." He said with a note of triumph and a glow of satisfaction to his face. "I want you to tell me how you can make sure we get off this plane and take you to the Prophet without any of your people trying to radio their leaders."

"Most of the crew was sealed to me to ensure their loyalty." I said immediately. "Killmer and the officers were the only ones I hadn't sealed besides the Professors and two boys in the other cabin. When they wake, they'll do whatever you and Jeremy wants me to tell them. They can either keep watch on the officers or we can control the officers. Make them think it as a big misunderstanding because I'd panicked over nothing and that I'm going to the Prophet to apologize in person."

"That's a decent idea." Roberts said after whispering with his people for a moment.

The two soldiers they'd brought with them moved at that point to one of the prone figures that I realized was Paul. Paul was staring at me with a look of utter pain on his face and I realized they were all awake. I scanned the other prone figures and realized the officers were looking at us in total confusion and shock, not understanding a thing of what happened. No matter what happened now, they were a problem that would have to be dealt with.

"Do we alter their memories now or later, Deacon?" Tina asked from where she stood in front of Holt, another problem to deal with. I didn't need Jeremy to tell me Tina was dedicated to the cause of this Prophet. It showed in her eyes and her body posture. She loved the power over others that she got to exert, and she looked at Jeremy with jealousy after she glanced at me in disgust.

It was obvious she'd wanted me badly.

"It takes too long." Roberts said. "Jeremy's also said he's tired. We'll go to the Temple and stay the night there after the Prophet has interrogated the Jacobs boy for everything he knows and given us orders on how he wants things done. Jeremy, have the servant order his men to secure the plane and wait for his return."

"Dylan, tell them to keep the plane secure and wait for you to come back tomorrow." Jeremy said in a stern voice and I almost laughed, but managed to keep my face neutral.

"Anything you want Jeremy." I said softly, and then turned to Paul who was still lying on the floor, struggling to stand up against the boot of one of the Mormon guards against his neck. It took me a moment to figure out how phrase this, and that it would have to be an order, an order based on the bond that he couldn't disobey but that wouldn't raise too much suspicion.

"Paul, there's nothing to worry about." I said in a strong voice. "Jeremy would never hurt me just like I'd never hurt you. This is an order. When they release you, you will not attempt to struggle or fight back. I'm going with them of my own will and you will do nothing to interfere. This is an order, Paul. You will lock the officers in the Guest cabin and lock it down so they exit the plane or use any of the electronic equipment to call for help or tell anyone of our situation. This is an order to everyone, you will wait for my return tomorrow. You will not worry, because I'm safe. You will make sure no one transmits anything about this situation. Keep the Professors and the boys in their cabin and tell them we are on security lockdown until I return. No transmissions from this plane are to be made except for acknowledgement and status reports. You will do nothing that will hint, or otherwise intimate that there's anything wrong."

"Tell them to obey Killmer if there's any doubts or questions." Roberts added and Jeremy nodded at me.

"Paul, this is an order, you will ask Killmer any questions." I said, and paused so he'd be able to tell the next part was not an order. "If Killmer tells you to do something, you should do it like you do when I tell you to do something."

"Okay, let that one up and release him." Roberts said, and then made Paul repeat everything I'd said. Paul was more relaxed, but I could see the doubt on his face. Major Unger was turning purple behind his gag and I realized that he was going to be particularly hard to deal with when this was over. "Now, Jeremy, have the servant get on the plane's announcing system to say this has been a misunderstanding and tell his people to stand down. Then the soldier goes out and keeps them in line while we leave. Once we're gone, this plane gets sealed until we return."

"Do it." Jeremy said and I nodded, making the announcement. Paul went out a moment later and returned saying they were ready. Roberts led the way down the plane's ladder and were surrounded by their troops as a large SUV pulled out from the terminal and headed towards us, followed by a large limousine. I realized I was about to head into the enemy's home, unarmed, surrounded by thousands of his followers, alone except for the new friend I'd just made, or was he a boyfriend? It didn't matter, I was going alone. The fact that Holt sat in the limousine across from me didn't matter, he was bonded to the girl, who was a willing follower of this prophet and Roberts.

The strangest thing was I felt no fear, only an exhilaration that practically tingled without any of my power behind it at all.

Maybe I was crazy.

During the drive towards the center of Salt Lake City it was all I could do to maintain the act of staring adoringly at Jeremy while Roberts gave a long spiel about how great the power of God was and how his state would thrive, and then send out teams of Missionaries to their neighbors. How useful I would be to their cause with Jeremy and I in the center of government and how soon the whole United States would be a LDS state when we 'converted' its leaders to his cause.

I had expected we'd be taken to the Temple in the heart of the city, but we weren't. Instead we were taken to a large compound, surrounded by a large garden and a large building surrounded by several dozen soldiers. We waited in a large sitting room for nearly an hour before another man came out and led us into another room. This room was stark, with a bare floor and one large desk in it. The same silver haired man, a little thicker around the waist than he had been in Jeremy's memory, sat behind the table and smiled when he saw me with the group walking inside. The three other Deacons flanked Roberts while Tina followed behind them with Holt walking just behind her. There were about six very young guards in the room, who looked at everyone suspiciously. Jeremy and I entered with me slightly behind him, just in front of Roberts.

"What took you long?" The silver haired man said when we stood within a short distance of his desk. "Why'd you bring the boy now?"

"There was a problem with our plan, Elder." Roberts said softly from behind me. "The boy has the same ability as our two here. He resisted. Tina was unable to Seal him with the Kiss, so we were forced to use Jeremy. He succeeded, although he says the boy's mind fought hard against God's Will."

"You let the boy Seal him?" The Prophet spat with disgust.

"It was the only way short of killing him." Roberts said.

"We should shoot them both now." The Prophet said and I felt a moment of fear.

"Sir, his father…" Roberts began but he was cut off.

"Silence, Roberts." The silver-haired man ordered. "Boy, you, Dylan, who do you serve?"

"I serve the Prophet and God." I said immediately, looking to Jeremy as if for approval. The Prophet smiled at that.

"That's right, you do serve me now." He said in a pleased tone. "I want you to know you are never to lie to me. Now tell me, what would that man you call a father do if you were killed here?"

"He'd…" I hesitated as if looking to Jeremy to speak.

"Tell him the truth." Jeremy ordered me firmly. I swallowed, looking at the Prophet before looking down at the floor.

"He'd launch so many nukes that not one inch of this state would be left untouched by a direct blast." I said in a horrified voice. "I…he'd kill everyone here!"

"No man would be that insane." The Prophet said in a whisper.

"Sir, the pictures of all those bodies from Idaho?" I whispered in a horrified tone still and I saw I had their attention. "Those weren't people killed by Jefferson. They were killed by our soldiers because Jefferson had almost hurt me. That man that took prisoner, he didn't kill himself. Dad tortured him to death."

"Roberts, did you know this?" The Prophet asked sharply.

"No, I didn't." Roberts's voice was weak. I tried not to smirk at that. My lies were having the desired effect on them.

"Perhaps it's a good thing you allowed the boy to Seal him, but you two boys listen to me, you will not touch either in a perverted way again. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir." Jeremy said immediately and I added my own voice to that. The man rose from his desk and stood in front of me, studying me closely. I kept on looking at the floor, praying that he'd make a mistake.

"Is he safe to touch?" The Prophet asked, looking over my shoulder at Roberts.

"Jeremy?" Roberts asked.

"Absolutely." Jeremy answered immediately and with confidence. "The first order I gave him after telling him he'd serve was that he'd never use his abilities without permission from you, the Prophet, or Deacon Roberts."

"Then I will bless you into God's service." The Prophet said, placing his hand on the top of my head, and I felt my heart surge with joy. My power surged at the same time as it leaped through my head and into him. There was no chance for subtlety here, where even a whisper could be heard. Instead, as I'd learned from Major Unger during a lesson on military tactics, this was a time for a bold, daring strike at the heart of the enemy. The Prophet gasped loudly as my power moved into him, and my hand reached up to grasp his wrist.

"KNEEL!" I commanded him loudly, and he dropped to his knees, and my next command was ringing through the room before anyone had more than a moment to stare in total shock. "If anything happens to me here, you will kill yourself immediately!"

"Stop…" Roberts started to yell, but as he realized the effect my command would have his voice dropped off.

"Everyone will move to where I can see them." I commanded as the guards finally drew their pistols and pointed them at me, looking to the Prophet and the Deacons with uncertainty.

"Do it." Roberts said in a weak voice as the Prophet continued to stare up at me with a blank expression. My power was flowing into him from where I held his wrist. I'd never used this much of it before when controlling someone. Everyone moved to where I could see them, forming a loose half-circle in front of me. The girl, Tina was glaring at me in hatred.

"Give me your guns." Jeremy said firmly, moving forward towards the guards. When Roberts nodded they handed the guns over to Jeremy who took them. He set them down on the floor near us, but I motioned for him to give me one. I switched the hand holding the Prophet's wrist so that I could hold the gun in my gun hand. The safety was already off, so I was ready. It felt good to be armed again.

"How…" Roberts voiced aloud in a soft, horrified whisper.

"I'm not controlled." Jeremy said immediately.

"You made one mistake." I told Roberts firmly. "You win loyalty through love and trust, not by killing people others care about."

"You won't get away with this." Tina spat, her eyes angry and a look of pure fury on her face. "You're surrounded by thousands of people who will tear you apart for touching the Prophet. You'll be burned in the Square for heresy like the others!"

She stood there, panting after her ranting, her eyes still shining with that anger. I could see Holt behind her, alarm and worry on his face and I could see a calculating look, trying to figure out how to get to me, to satisfy her desires regarding me. I knew he'd do something heedless of the Prophet's safety. I also knew that the girl would be a huge problem. She wasn't a Tim or a Jeremy, a safer risk. She wanted to use her powers for these people, and left alone she would. She'd either have to be guarded constantly by bonded people or locked away where she'd never touch someone, and there was always a risk of her escaping. Didn't they use to show television shows with plots like that all the time? Evil bitch escapes and creates havoc until she's killed by the good guys.

The sound of the gun firing in my hand made almost every jump. Everyone except me and the Prophet, who was heedless to anything but my voice at that point. Tina's eyes didn't even have time to widen in surprise as the bullet entered her head. I noted with satisfaction that my aim had not suffered from a recent lack of practice. A second after her body slumped to the floor, Paul Holt collapsed.

That answers one question. If I didn't want my bonded to die the moment I did, I'd have to stay alive.

"What…what did you do that for?" Jeremy's voice was filled with horror as he looked at me in fear.

"Jeremy, you know she did what she was told to willingly." I told him. "She would have continued to do those things, or been kept a prisoner so she couldn't. She'd eventually kill people when she did escape using her abilities, and she'd have to be hunted down and killed then. She's a fanatic, Jeremy, the most dangerous type of person. She Sealed Holt to her and he was about to do something, I could see it in his eyes, and she was about to do something as well. I want you and I to leave here alive. As long as she was alive, that wouldn't happen. I'm a soldier. I'm trained to read these types of situations, and to deal with them. Holt didn't care about keeping the Prophet alive, only about making her happy, and she'd always be a danger in the future. None of these others are like that, so as long as they continue to do what they are told, no one else will die."

"If you say so, Dylan." Jeremy said after a deep breath. "I…I just hate seeing people die."

"So do I, love." I said softly and he relaxed slightly. Roberts was looking at me with a mix of fear and disgust. "All of you will remain silent unless I ask you a question. You will answer honestly and truthfully. If I suspect you are hesitating, Jeremy here will use his abilities to command the truth. I prefer people to give it of their own free will. You will not attempt to escape, or warn anyone outside of this room. Is anyone unclear about my directions?"

"Jeremy, keep an eye on the door in case someone heard the gunshot." I asked and he nodded, turning slightly so he could see the doorway. I looked down the Prophet wondering what the hell I should do now. I looked around the room, and my eyes rested on Tina's body. How many others of us were there out there?"

"Prophet, tell me how many other people are there that you know with abilities like mine and Jeremy's." I demanded angrily.

"Five that I am aware of." He answered from where he knelt and my grip on him tightened.

"Where are they?" I demanded.

"Here, in this compound." He answered. "We keep them at the reprogramming center."

"Why?" I hissed in anger. "How?"

"They are not children of the faithful." He answered quickly. "We found that the Rothschild and Young children were from a clinical fertility study. The Rothschild's knew of another family in the study that lived here. That family knew the others. We took the boy from that family and burned the rest of them because they were heretics. When we called the Faithful home after our independence, we had those near the others take the children and kill the families when they returned. The last arrived last week. The first two are making good progress. I was told they would be ready for use in a few weeks."

"What was your plan for them?" I asked in a neutral tone. My anger was too hot now. Jeremy was no longer looking at the door but at the Prophet kneeling before him.

"When they were ready, we could get rid of the Young boy." The Prophet said. "We'd already eliminated all those he had Sealed. We didn't need them anymore, and with more true believers like Tina, we didn't need the faggot anymore. Then we'd send them out with our Missionaries, Sealing leaders of people where they went and with Tina controlling you and your family, we would have spread the Word to the entire nation within a few years."

"Dylan, can I kill him?" Jeremy asked me in a quiet voice while I absorbed this information. It shocked me he'd ask that after just having seen Tina killed, but as our eyes met, he touched my neck briefly and our powers caressed each other lovingly. I felt the horror, the anger, and the humiliation he was feeling at how he'd been used. Apparently distance did make much of a difference in the feeling of your bonded's death. Another important lesson for me to learn.

"Keep on eye on the door, Jeremy." I said softly. "If anyone is to die, let me do it, please? I love you the way you are."

"Okay, Dylan." He said just as softly.

I turned to look down at the man kneeling before me. He deserved to die, and I had to admit that I wanted him to die and I wanted to be the one who killed him. Still, we had to get out of here, and we had to get to the other kids like us. The question I faced was do I kill them or rescue them? Would they be like Tina or like Jeremy and Tim? What would we do with them? How would he handle so many? What was right and what was wrong?

Jeremy didn't have these answers, I knew. If the pattern held true and he had the same basic potential intelligence as me, it wasn't trained like Henry and I had been. Tim had the same potential, but except for his Chemistry, it had never been nurtured and grown. I couldn't talk to dad, no matter how much I desperately wanted to, and even Paul and the others were out of reach.

When I'd faced Jefferson down in Idaho, I had my friends, my guards, and the first members of my circle with me, but here I was essentially alone inside the enemy's base with a pistol, my powers, my mind, and one ally of unknown strength and an unclear mission to accomplish.

Next time Dad can send Henry on his little errands.

©Copyright 2008; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 15
  • Love 5
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Outstanding chapter! Okay dinner was a complete disaster, the Prophet’s forces were better prepared and Dylan was taken hostage. He’s now taken the prophet prisoner and is trying to decide how to proceed on his own and whether to rescue the other children like him. I’m certain that the circle has sprung into action to get Dylan back safely. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I also think this was a Great chapter. The dinner was a disaster only because the Deacons group was more prepared than Dylan thought as they had Holt under their control which Dylan was warned about only he didn’t think that was possible. They were able to kidnap Dylan to force him to be a pawn to get rid of his family only that didn’t work the way they thought it would. Their first mistake was thinking that Tina would be able to get him under her spell when he was able to resist her they changed the way they had to do what they wanted so they told Jeremy that he was to get Dylan to go along with the plan. When Jeremy went to Dylan he was able to get Dylan to see his desire to be free, Jeremy was able to convince Deacon Roberts that he was going to have to go deeper than he was supposed to and that he was told that Deacon Roberts didn’t want to see it again. That statement was all it took for Deacon Roberts to get Roger Killmer, who is Deacon Roberts nephew to pick Dylan up and take him to his room where he laid Dylan on the bed and took his handcuffs off so that he could be bonded to Jeremy. Dylan told Roger that he was fine and that Jeremy was in need of help and the way to get the help is to form a bond with Dylan and they were able to show each other their own history and they came up with a plan to get out of Utah. The Deacon made Dylan tell Paul that he was to let them off the plane and he was to listen to Killmer and that he would be back tomorrow.🤨

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..