Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 5,800 Words
  • 6,310 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing and their inheritors. <br>

Tests of Blood - 22. Chapter 22

“That looks painful.” The man said as he looked down from his cart at Dalen.

“It is.” Dalen said with a grimace on his face as he held his arm in the make-shift sling he’d created. He was wearing the clothes that had been given to him by Blake’s father after the battle with the blood-mage. The clothes looked a little grimier than when he’d first worn them, and there were a few holes in them that had not been there before. Blake insisted his father wouldn’t mind though. “Whoever heard of bandits on the road this close to Haven?”

“That’s why I’ve got m’boys here with me.” The older man said from his seat on his wagon, pointing his head back to the three young men that sat on the cart behind him, their bows in hand and looking at the bushes on either side of the road. “Since things have been so unsettled, all the roads are getting dangerous.”

“Master Kendan is going to kill me when he finds out his wagon was stolen.” Dalen groaned, running his ‘uninjured’ hand through his hair, hoping the brown dye was not fading yet.

“Did your Master purchase insurance for his goods?” The farmer asked.

“Yes, I’m sure he did.” Dalen said with a nod of his head. “He’s always complaining about the cost of insurance.”

“Then there’s nothing to worry about.” The man said calmly. “Hop on up here and we’ll get you the rest of the way to Haven. You can file your report with the Guard there, and with the insurance agent, after you’ve had that arm looked at in Healer’s Hall.”

“I appreciate it, sir.” Dalen said as he moved towards the wagon and used his ‘uninjured’ hand to climb up next to the driver. “My name is Danel.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Danel.” The man said with a grin. “I’m Jak, and these back here are my boys: Tel, Abe, and Ven.”

“Hi.” Dalen said, trying to look a little shy as he did so. The three boys, ranging in age from his age to a few years younger nodded at him before turning back to looking for ‘bandits’. The truth was that he was shocked by the presence of bandits on the road this close to Haven. The Guard should have rooted them out by now, but there hadn’t been one patrol in the day since he’d started walking. He hadn’t thought this plan for slipping him in to the city would have worked, until now.

“We don’t see that much traffic on the Southern Road these days.” Jak said after they’d gone a quarter-league in silence. There was only the sound of the two-horse team pulling the wagon full of apples and cherries.

“I’m surprised that you’re taking your produce in by wagon.” Dalen said in reply and noticed the man nod slightly. “Most people just sell at the broker these days and have the locomotives ship it into the city.”

“The locomotives aren’t taking much beyond the Guard and those Black King folks around, well that and the stuff they’ve taken in taxes.” The man said with his voice going extremely sour on the last part. “Don’t tell anyone when we get there, but this stuff we managed to keep from those new Crown Inspectors and what we make from selling it will carry us through the winter. It’s going to be lean times for Valdemar, unless Prince Dalen shows up and puts things to rights.”

“You really think he can do that?” Dalen asked with a look of genuine surprise on his face. “He’s just a youngin, right? I mean I heard he was no older than me.”

“Yeah, but you see he was brought up in the palace, and with them Ashkevrons out west.” Jak said with a knowing look on his face. “You heard about them refusing to let the new Crown Inspectors and those Black King folk onto their lands or in the lands that look to them? I heard tell the Black Priests wanted to haul off a few of their folk for being magic and all that and Lord Ashkevron told them to leave his land or face the swords of his men.”

“Ashkevrons have always had the right of it.” Tel, the oldest of the man’s sons said from his spot in the wagon. He had good discipline, Dalen noted, since he spoke without taking his eyes off the side of the road. “All the stories you hear about them say how they care more for their people than themselves, and Prince Dalen’s one of them. He was raised right there at their keep according to what I’ve read.”

“You are all Royalists?” Dalen asked cautiously.

“Now I don’t know about that.” Jak said sourly and spit off the side of the wagon as he grimaced slightly. “I don’t right like the idea of Valdemarans taking sides against Valdemarans. We’re one people you know, even if we come from different places and worship different gods. Each man’s got a right to choose his own way in life as long as he doesn’t harm others. The way I see it, it’s these Black King folks that have got Prince Dalen stashed away. May the Blessed Trine watch over him, but I reckon them folks knew that his mother would be easier to manage where he’d tell them to go.”

“I reckon he would.” Dalen said while trying to keep his face in a neutral expression. This was proving a very informative method of getting into Haven, and not just less risky. He’d have to tell Herald Nevin that his idea had been right. Nevin would grin and just nod. Then the next time Dalen disagreed with him, Nevin would calmly remind him about this.

He’d wanted to head to Haven right away, making a Gate directly there, but Herald Nevin and Captain Helgenberger had convinced him to wait a week. There were many things that needed to be worked out, not the least of which was Dalen’s ‘status’. They had wanted two weeks, but everyone had settled on seven days waiting. All those lessons in patience from Windfire had helped him accept the compromise.

“You’re very action-oriented, Dalen.” Nevin had told him in the privacy of the workroom cavern that was still set aside for Dalen’s usage. There had been some changes, including a lot more clutter as it was used by the Herald Mages, and his cot had been replaced by a real bed that had been obtained from somewhere. The feather mattress was far more comfortable when he used it during his stay in what was now called Prince’s Retreat.

“I am more patient than I was before.” Dalen had countered.

“We’ll be better off taking the time and carefully choosing who will lead the forces to the Burnham Vale.” Nevin continued. “Not to mention, you’ve been through some fantastic experiences and should take some time to make sure everything is okay with you before heading into more danger. Then there’s Jadev to consider.”

“What about him?” Dalen had asked him with real worry.

“You are newly bonded.” Nevin’s reply was gentle. “The two of you need to spend some time together, getting to know one another and letting your bond fully develop. I agree that having him in Haven with you would be too dangerous, but going right now means your bond with him will never fully develop and that could be dangerous for both of you.”

“I can see that.” Dalen agreed albeit slightly reluctantly.

“Then there is the resolution of your status as a Herald.” Nevin had continued with even more sensitivity. “All the senior Heralds here agree that you are mature enough, and that your training in your gifts is excellent. There are concerns regarding your knowledge in certain areas that Heralds must know, especially one who is in line for the throne. If Dell dies, which all of us pray never happens, you are the next person in line for the throne.”

“I don’t want it.” Dalen stated flatly.

“But you’ll take it if you’re the best person.” Nevin replied and waited for Dalen to nod his agreement. It was a true statement, and Dalen had admitted that at last. “Good, now we’ve agreed what to do with you. Putting you into Grays would be very unwise at the moment. Frankly whatever areas you are lacking in can be taken care of quietly and with things as unsettled as they are, having you in Whites is what is necessary. No matter what though, we just don’t give them away. There have been Heralds promoted to Whites before they were fully ready, but they always had additional support from their fellow Heralds.”

“What does all this mean?” Dalen had asked with a frown.

“It means that as soon as we can get a set that fits you, we’ll put you in your Whites.” Nevin had told him. “Also, it means we’ll be testing you on your areas of knowledge and devising a training plan for the areas where we think you’re lacking. Then there’s the matter of your internship. Most Heralds on getting their Whites spend anywhere from a year to two years interning under a more senior Herald. I have been chosen to be your mentor, although you’re not going to be expected to ride Circuit anytime soon. It was generally agreed solving the problems we’re facing right now will be more than enough of an internship for you.”

“Gee thanks.” Dalen’s sarcasm had been heavy, but at the same time he was pleased. Nevin wasn’t a mage, but he was a very experienced Herald, and having him as a mentor would not be all that bad.

Or so he’d thought until he’d finished the ‘testing’ period on the second day and was mentally exhausted from all the grilling on topics he’d never even considered before. That was his first clue that he had a lot to learn still, and made for a rather anti-climatic feeling. His days were fairly regimented after that first day back, and he’d climbed into the bed every night in his workroom wondering if he might find a way to sleep in the next day.

He was up every single one of those seven mornings an hour before dawn for meetings with the ‘command staff’. Captain Helgenberger led those meetings as his ‘Chief of Staff’ and had refused the suggestion from the other Captains that she take the title of General. By the third morning, Captain Hodges, the brown-haired and scarred Captain, led a force of six hundred Guards out of the valley and towards the fighting with Menmillith. He had several sealed letters that were to be delivered to General Lofar, Dalen’s father, as soon as possible.

On the fourth morning it was decided that Lee Mayweather would be promoted to Major, a rank between Lieutenant and Captain. Major Mayweather would lead the detachments assigned to Burnham as Dalen’s backup. Herald-Mages Loishia and Thomas would also go, as would two Healers.

Those meetings usually lasted about an hour after sunrise, and Dalen would eat breakfast along with the others in the command tent. Then he would spend an hour going through an improvised equestrian course that had been set up outside the valley entrance. Those were under the direction of Herald Nevin, and Dalen had only thought he knew how to ride before they began.

Working with Jadev on the courses was vastly different than dealing with a horse. There was no need to use the reins or leg gestures to guide Jadev through the course. All that was needed was for him to hold on, most of the time, and on the occasions that he disagreed with Jadev on handling the course, well their mental arguments had always been stopped by a laughing Herald Nevin who thought having such strong-willed Herald and Companion was a source of amusement.

After his equitation lessons were the Heraldic lessons. The topic of these morning lessons surprised him when a rather plain-looking Herald by the name of Thorn began teaching him about disguises. Dalen had never considered the topic something that Heralds would learn.

“You need to know how to look like something other than what you are.” Herald Thorn had said simply when Dalen reported to him in the cave that had once been the war room. Now it was used by Heralds as a meeting place and school room for the half-dozen Trainees that were here. These lessons though, were just him and the Herald.

“What do you mean?” Dalen had asked with genuine curiosity.

“The way you carry yourself, the way you walk, the way you dress, all of it reflects on who you are.” Thorn had told him. “Everything about you screams that you are part of the nobility, and for those that know what to look for, your every behavior screams that you are a mage as well as nobly born. You are accustomed to power and to having people always looking at you. What I will teach you is how to move like a farmer, or an apprentice, someone that does not always draw every eye in the room, and I will teach you how to disguise yourself.”

“With my hair, skin, and eyes I think that is going to be difficult.” Dalen had countered.

“We will see.” The man replied with a smile. After seven days, Dalen knew the man was right. He’d never make a first-rate spy, but now he understood how to not draw so much attention to himself. Being outside for several hours a day had shown that his skin would tan from its ivory paleness, and experiments with hair dye had proven that his hair could turn a different color, although he had to be careful. It would bleach the color out after two or three days and his roots would turn a visible pale translucent color.

After a lunch spent with Captain Helgenberger and other ‘leaders’ of the forces in the area, he would report back to the Herald’s Cave for more training, this time in subjects he’d expected when Herald Nevin had talked to him about lessons. Still, they usually spent at least an hour going over intelligence reports of what was going on in the kingdom.

The late afternoon he spent with the weapons masters of both the Guard and the Heralds present in the valley. They only had seven days, but they made the best use of those seven days helping him to build his physical endurance and keep his weapons skills fresh. By the time they were done, he was exhausted and practically had to force himself back up the hill and into the bathing caves.

After a bath, usually spent with the company of other soldiers who grew more relaxed each day in his presence, he would have dinner. That was the most relaxing part of those days, with him taking a plate and eating it while leaning against Jadev in Companion’s Corner of the valley. After the first night, he was surprised and happy when Blake joined them, along with Radev. Their Companions were twins, and had a habit of making their comments so that both Blake and Dalen could hear them.

Following dinner he would meet once again with the Captain and her senior officers for a final discussion on strategies and anything that had happened during the day. This last meeting was usually short as everyone was busy and tired after a long day. When the Captains and officers went back to rest for the evening, Dalen went back to the work room in the caves and began the last stretch of work for the evening.

The Herald-Mages and other Heralds with gifts like Farsight spent the night hours doing their work. It was easier for them to do it while the heavily populated valley rested and enjoyed whatever entertainment was available that night. There were two Bards and two Apprentice Bards in the valley now, and they would often play in the evening hours after dinner. That relaxed atmosphere made the mage work easier to perform.

While the Herald-Mages worked on making the valley more livable, Dalen had other priorities. Ever since they had picked this valley, he had been struggling with a definite lack of power. Before his sojourn with Windfire, he couldn’t do much about that lack. Now, though, after all the training Windfire had given him in order to free them of the trapped Gate, Dalen could manipulate the energy lines with ease.

The first two nights he focused on moving the two regular ley-lines closer to the valley. On the third night, he moved the third ley-line, the one that flowed out of the distant node he still couldn’t reach. When he was done in the early hours of the morning, all three ley-lines now converged on a point just at the northern edge of the valley. He had spent the remaining time in the camp sculpting those three lines so they flowed into a new node that he created.

“You’re an Adept.” Herald-Mage Thomas, the ranking Master mage among the Heralds said after Dalen had finished. “No one I know has created a node in forever, and no mere Master could accomplish that.”

“I had some good training recently.” Dalen had said simply, letting himself experience the grief that came with the thought of Windfire’s teachings. The old Tayledras would have been very proud of Dalen’s accomplishment. While it would never be very strong, the new node was far stronger than the three lines had been separately.

“What do you think?” Jak’s words pulled Dalen out of his reverie and he realized he had missed part of what the man had been saying.

“I’m sorry; I was drifting off a bit.” Dalen said to the man. “This arm hurts.”

“We can take a look at in when we stop for mid-day.” Jak offered.

“It’ll be okay until we get to Haven.” Dalen said. “I don’t think we’re that far.”

“No, we’ll be getting there in the early evening, near enough.” Jak said with a grin.

“So what were we talking about?” Dalen asked.

“These elections.” Jak replied. “I was wondering what your Master had been saying about them. The Guilds stand to lose a lot of power with the new Council being elected directly by people.”

“I think it might be a good thing, if we can trust the people we pick.” Dalen said truthfully. That was what made it so difficult in this situation. Many of the things his mother was pushing he didn’t have that much of a problem with, although some of the things were completely unacceptable.

“Aye.” Jak agreed. “Now, if we could count on them like we could the Heralds, well that would be just fine, but I don’t like the fact that in order to get your name in the hat, you have to get approval from those plebiscites. Imagine having to take some test before your fellows can pick you. Who cares if someone knows what date this or that happened when what matters is if they can understand if people are paying too much in taxes or if we need more Guards.”

“You have a point.” Dalen agreed. “Maybe you should put your name in the hat for your area.”

“I’ve got a farm to run, boy.” Jak growled.

“Da wouldn’t take their tests.” Tel supplied from his position. “He took one look at some of their questions, tore it up and threw it back at them. They weren’t too happy with him.”

“I bet not.” Dalen said and smiled at the man. It sounded like this man had his head on right about things, and Dalen decided to use this opportunity to pick his brain. It would be good for him to know what the regular people of Valdemar were thinking. “So, you think that having a Council elected by the people and really running the kingdom would be a good thing?”

“It could be, if it was the right people and they could be trusted.” Jak answered after thinking for a moment. “Now what I don’t take with is this disbanding the Heralds. There is no way they were responsible for the bomb that killed good King Rothar. Heralds just don’t do that sort of thing. They’ve always been there for the people.”

“You think getting rid of the Heralds is a bad thing?” Dalen asked with happy surprise.

“Lad, I don’t know who you’ve been talking too, but getting rid of the Heralds will be the worst thing to ever happen to Valdemar.” Jak growled. “If you think differently, I’ll just remind you of that arm of yours and how it got hurt. Heralds stop that sort of thing, and they keep people honest. I, for one, think that is why those folks in Haven right now are so dead set against them. They wouldn’t be able to get away with the taxes and other things they’re doing, like working with those Black King people and their Priests. Did you know they took the local priest of the Blessed Trine and sent him to one of those camps of theirs? That’s downright wrong.”

“But Prince Dalen’s not even a Herald.” Dalen retorted. “If you only trust Heralds, well how could you trust him to set things right when he returns?”

“Oh, he’ll set things right, you mark my words.” Jak half-growled. “He might not have been a Herald but everyone says he got on well with them and was friends with them all his life. I even heard tell that he might have been Chosen himself if he wasn’t so dead set against it. Father Laird, he was a travelling priest that came through a week or so back and used to be priest at Forst Reach with the Ashkevrons. He said he knows Prince Dalen and the only reason Prince Dalen was never Chosen was because the boy wanted to do other things with his magic and that Valdemar didn’t need him as a Herald. The good Father, he says that when Prince Dalen returns he might just be coming back astride a Companion since Valdemar needs him so bad and that would be a damn good thing to happen.”

“You got that right, Da.” Tel said from his position. “It’s all well enough for the likes of him to not be Chosen when we don’t need him. I s’pose as many Heralds end up dead at a young age I wouldn’t necessarily want to join ‘em if I had a choice. But, things are bad now and we need him, so if he’s half the leader folks say he is, he’ll have himself a Companion when he comes back. Heralds are good for Valdemar.”

“Now, if he comes back with a Companion and all and tells us that what his mother’s doing is right, then I guess we’ll just have to learn to accept it all.” Jak said with a shrug.

“How would you make this whole thing work?” Dalen asked the man and was surprised at how Jak laughed.

“Lad, that’s not my concern, is it?” Jak asked him with amusement. “Figuring out how to make the kingdom work, that’s the job of Prince Dalen and the Heralds and Regent Selenay. All I know is, I want to be able to work my farm in peace without having to give all my best crops as taxes – and maybe a few fripperies for the wife.”

“Ma hates it when you call her things ‘fripperies’.” Tel reminded his father who chuckled even louder. That seemed to be the call for a change in topic, and Dalen listened to the man talk with his son about home, and how they expected the winter season to go. There was a bunch of talk about people and things Dalen didn’t know, but he was reassured by the normality of the conversation.

No matter what else, he had to remember that what he did would always affect real people like these, and that it was his duty to do his best for them. For the past few centuries Valdemar had insisted that all of its people learn how to read, write, and complete basic math. As a result, they had a well-educated public that didn’t always panic at the slightest rumor. They often waited for the written word, usually published by Bards before they made their own judgments.

Men like Jak could sit and discuss the governance of the land and have a good opinion even if they had no interest in being part of that government. Local cities and towns had chosen their own mayors and councils by popular vote for centuries, and it worked for the most part. Occasionally there would be a corrupt mayor or council member, but they were usually caught by Heralds or local Watch officers. The last few cases of major corruption, on the High Council itself had been a pair of corrupt Guildsmen that had been uncovered by the Heralds, and both those men had spent several years in prison.

Travelling with Jak and his boys was an enjoyable experience, and Dalen began to understand why Heralds would often go in disguise amongst the general populace. It was possible to find out many things you would never hear if these folk knew who you were. As Herald Thorn had explained, it wasn’t that they feared retribution so much as that they would consider it ‘improper’ to be so blunt and forthcoming.

Seeing Haven as they crested a hill and began to make the final stretch of the trip to the capitol was impressive. Dalen had never seen it from this angle, on the road heading north into the city. It was just possible to see the Palace amidst the sprawl and clutter of buildings in the new and old cities. In the far distance he could see the Alliance headquarters section, which Jak informed him in a whisper was now the home of the Black Kings ambassadors and priests. Even at this distance it was possible to see that there was construction going on there.

“That’s where they’re building their new temple.” Jak said while spitting over the side of the wagon again. He did it every time he talked about the religion of the people from the far south. “They’ve got temples going up all over, or they’re taking over other temples and using them. I heard tell last time I was here that they’re putting them in every neighborhood.”

“They try to make us go to their temple back home, but we don’t.” Tel added as he was now relaxing with the other boys. This close to Haven it was extremely unlikely any bandits would be about.

“Papers and cargo, please!” A bored looking Valdemar Guard said as they approached a hastily built inspection station just outside the edge of the City. It hadn’t been there before, and now was a low hut with a large pole stretching across the roadway. Dalen had gotten nervous when he saw them, and was still on edge. This post had six Guards in Valdemar blue, and two dark-skinned men standing stiffly by the hut wearing burnished gold and scarlet armor.

“Here you go, sir.” Jak said neutrally as he handed over a stack of papers. “My tax papers are on top and below that’s the manifest. This here’s all after-tax crop we’re selling to get enough supplies to last through the winter. Times are hard.”

“Times are hard all over.” The Guard said gruffly, but Dalen noticed how he barely even looked at the papers. His back was to the two Black Kings men, and his head was down like he was looking at the papers in his hand, but the man’s gaze was directed at his feet. “These look to be in order. What happened to the boy next to you?”

“He was set on by bandits.” Jak said with anger in his voice. “Can you imagine that? Bandits less than a day’s travel. I hope some of those new taxes I paid are being used to do something about them.”

“The Royalists are getting bold and raiding wherever they can.” The Guardsman mumbled while handing over the paperwork. He looked over at Dalen with some concern. “You head up to Healer’s Hall. They’re still accepting people through the Healer’s gate, but be careful. All the other approaches to the Palace are closely watched by the mage sniffers, my lord.”

“Huh?” Jak asked with surprised as he grunted. Dalen looked at the Guard for a moment and tried to suppress a grin. He recognized the Guardsman.

“How did you end up out here, Erik?” Dalen asked him in a very quiet tone.

“Better me than some bastard who doesn’t understand times are hard, my lord.” Erik, who had once guarded the entrance to the family wing of the Palace said stiffly. “I hope you’re here to set things straight.”

“I’m here to find out what’s really going on, Erik.” Dalen said softly as Jak’s eyes widened and he quickly looked down at the reins in his hands. Tel bit off a curse from behind them and sushed his two brothers who were trying to ask questions. “My mother has a lot to explain – like your two minders over there.”

“They just stand there and watch.” Erik said. “We’ve got a long list of people we’re supposed to watch for and apprehend on sight. Your description doesn’t fit the way you look right now though. I figure I’m the only one here who would have recognized you on sight.”

“Well good for me it was you then.” Dalen said with a sigh. “What was your warning about the Palace?”

“Healer’s entrance isn’t guarded except by us, and if anyone there recognizes you, well they won’t say a word.” Erik answered. “They’re good Valdemar men. The other entrances though, well a couple of their Priests are stationed near them and can sense when anyone with Mage-gift comes through. I heard they caught two Heralds that way, trying to sneak in to help some of their own.”

“What about the Heralds here?” Dalen asked.

“There’s some different stories about them.” Erik shuffled his feet uneasily as he looked up at Dalen. “Some say they’re all okay, or at least that is what they say. I know a group of them tried to break out and reach Prince Dellinar, but they were beat back. Word was a few of them died, and that the Priests are trying some experiments on them, trying to break the bond with their Companions. A few might have died from that, from what I hear.”

“Damn.” Dalen murmured as Jak stared at him.

“You better get moving before our talking draws their attention.” Erik said quickly without looking back over his shoulder. “If you need to find me, I’ll be spending my nights at the Frog and Scorpion. It’s in the inner city…”

“I know where it is.” Dalen said firmly. “Erik, thank you.”

“I serve Valdemar, my Prince.” Erik said as he stepped back and Jak gently jingled the reins, putting his wagon into motion. They were a fair distance from the guard post before Jak spoke again.

“I hope I didna say anything to offend your highness.” Jak’s voice was barely above a whisper.

“You told me what I needed to hear, Jak.” Dalen said gently. “Whether I like it or not is irrelevant, the truth is always important. I do know one thing though.”

“What is that, my lord?” Jak whispered again.

“As long as Valdemar has men like you, we’ll survive.” Dalen complimented the man, and he could see how Jak’s shoulders straightened. Behind them the boys shifted slightly, also sitting up straighter at the compliment just given to their father.

“You really are Prince Dalen?” Tel asked quietly after they’d traveled two more blocks.

“I am.” Dalen answered.

“You weren’t really set on by bandits, were you?” Tel asked.

“No.” Dalen said. “I apologize for the deception, but I wanted to enter Haven without drawing too much attention. Truth to tell, this is more than I wanted.”

“Where were you?” Jak asked him and Dalen could tell by the way the man said it the answer would be important. “What have you been doing all this time?”

“Seven weeks ago, when all this started, I was down south investigating attacks against our people there.” Dalen said quietly. Haven seemed much more subdued than he remembered. There was less noise, and fewer people on the streets. “When I found out about the explosion, I Gated back to Burnham.”

“What’s a Gate?” Tel asked.

“It’s a magical portal that allows a mage to cross great distances very quickly.” Dalen answered. “The mage has to be very strong to make one, and the portal I made, well there was a complication.”

“What sort of complication?” Jak asked quietly.

“Magic doesn’t always work the way we wish it would.” Dalen said with a sigh, trying to figure out a simple explanation. “The Gate didn’t take me where it should have, and it took me six weeks to get back.”

“Doesn’t sound like too reliable a way to travel.” Jak said gruffly and Dalen got the sense he was laughing inside.

“Burnham was first created by Tayledras.” Dalen explained. “Something one of them did meant that a Gate going there would end up somewhere else. I had to figure out how to reset it before I could come back through.”

“What happened when you did?” Jak asked.

“That was a week ago.” Dalen said gently. “When I did come back through, I found a Companion waiting for me and a hornet’s nest of trouble. For the past week I’ve been with people on one side trying to understand things there. Now I’m going to try and find out what really happened here and find out why my mother has done the things she’s done. When I’ve got all the answers, then I have to decide what to do.”

“Is there anything my boys and I can do to help you out, my lord?” Jak asked him in a serious tone.

“You’ve done all I can ask for, sir.” Dalen said gently. “If you’d be kind enough to drop me off closer to Healer’s, I’d appreciate it even more.”

“That we can definitely do.” Jak said, and Dalen let out a sigh of relief. He’d have to get back to the valley if for no reason other than to tell Thorn that one week of lessons weren’t quite enough after all.

© 1987 - 2022 Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing; All Rights Reserved; Valedmar and its world belong to Mercedes Lackey. Everything else belongs to dkstories. Copyright ©2013; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing and their inheritors. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Things are looking up but I'm really worried for Bart now. I'm on team Bart all the way and if the Black Kings are experimenting on the Companions then he's in danger.

 

There wasn't any mention of the Heartstone here. I'm still nervous that its been tampered with somehow but if its okay than Dalen will have the power he needs. I also remember that it was getting restless without a "proper" owner and I wonder if it's gone rogue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

i am so anxious i really wanted this chapter to be where he met his mother, can't wait for more. I wonder how his mother could sit and let things decay foreigners in the capital running things what is wrong with her does she have no sense of patriotism is power all she care about, how can she be so narrow minded and greedy. Is it because she has no gifts and was never chosen that she is so bitter and doing the us versus them game. I hope he can free his friends and drive the enemies out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm very glad I found this story. At first I had a few problems to get into it due to the complexity of the setting, but after I understood all the interrelations it became much easier. Dalen is a very interesting character, I can almost feel him struggle with his dreams vs/and responsibilities.

So now I can hardly wait to see him finally at the castle, and hear something about Bart. You really managed to drag this part out and now I just wanna know... :)

~A.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ah, a variation on the King Incognito device! Erik's welcome portends a good reception for Dalen when he reveals himself. But what of the heartstone? I expected some excitation (or a headache) when Dalen entered Haven ... Or is Dalen shielding himself? But the fact that Dalen didn't notice anything awry perhaps means that I'm jumping the gun! If he's going to Healers Hall, I wonder if he'll be able to sense Dell or communicate with him in his comatose state. It's sad that some heralds or their companions might have been killed or injured. I wonder if the companions can sense hs presence. The attempt to get rid of heralds but erect temples and coerce religious beliefs demonstrates the failures at attempts to destroy the narratives of modernism in an effort to become a postmodern state ... It always happens that modernism persists but it is only the narratives that are changed. Looking forward to the next chapter, Dan! Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2013 11:34 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
Things are looking up but I'm really worried for Bart now. I'm on team Bart all the way and if the Black Kings are experimenting on the Companions then he's in danger.

 

There wasn't any mention of the Heartstone here. I'm still nervous that its been tampered with somehow but if its okay than Dalen will have the power he needs. I also remember that it was getting restless without a "proper" owner and I wonder if it's gone rogue.

Haven is a large city. By this time, it would be several hundred thousand, maybe even a half-million in population. Think of it similar to Paris around 1800 (the city proper). We've only seen small portions of the city, and smack dab in the middle is the Old City. Inside the old city is the Palace, Bardic Collegium, Herald Collegium, Mage Collegium, Artificer Collegium, Healer's Hall and Healer's collegium. There's also a huge (think New York's Central Park) field where the companions live. The Heartstone is in a basement level of the Palace, in the heart of the Old City a the center of the city.

 

So...the impact of the Heartstone is felt closer to the middle of the city, not just when you enter the outer city gates.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/01/2013 12:22 AM, itachibones said:
i am so anxious i really wanted this chapter to be where he met his mother, can't wait for more. I wonder how his mother could sit and let things decay foreigners in the capital running things what is wrong with her does she have no sense of patriotism is power all she care about, how can she be so narrow minded and greedy. Is it because she has no gifts and was never chosen that she is so bitter and doing the us versus them game. I hope he can free his friends and drive the enemies out.
Imagine what must be going on in Dalen's mind as he prepares to meet his mother. Lucky for you, the next chapter will be posted later today (or should be depending on the GA techs).
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/01/2013 02:19 AM, aditus said:
I'm very glad I found this story. At first I had a few problems to get into it due to the complexity of the setting, but after I understood all the interrelations it became much easier. Dalen is a very interesting character, I can almost feel him struggle with his dreams vs/and responsibilities.

So now I can hardly wait to see him finally at the castle, and hear something about Bart. You really managed to drag this part out and now I just wanna know... :)

~A.

Thanks for the compliments!

 

When writing this stretch of the story I too wanted to rush forward with the confrontation, but there were some parts of the bigger picture that needed to be seen before that confrontation. It's so easy to lose focus on the fact that there are literally hundreds of thousands of people out there who are involved in this and whose opinions can have some impact on the primary characters. With Dalen and those around him we're seeing the viewpoints of the elite of Valdemar, the leaders. This chapter was important to give us a viewpoint on what is going on with everyone else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/01/2013 03:27 AM, Rosicky said:
Ah, a variation on the King Incognito device! Erik's welcome portends a good reception for Dalen when he reveals himself. But what of the heartstone? I expected some excitation (or a headache) when Dalen entered Haven ... Or is Dalen shielding himself? But the fact that Dalen didn't notice anything awry perhaps means that I'm jumping the gun! If he's going to Healers Hall, I wonder if he'll be able to sense Dell or communicate with him in his comatose state. It's sad that some heralds or their companions might have been killed or injured. I wonder if the companions can sense hs presence. The attempt to get rid of heralds but erect temples and coerce religious beliefs demonstrates the failures at attempts to destroy the narratives of modernism in an effort to become a postmodern state ... It always happens that modernism persists but it is only the narratives that are changed. Looking forward to the next chapter, Dan! Thanks!
Dalen's intentions were more towards getting inside unnoticed than going amongst the people - but he got that too. I'll refer you to my earlier reply to itchabones review as to the size of Haven. If there's something to feel, he'll likely feel it once he's inside the palace grounds.

 

Reading your review I realized I probably didn't present Valdemar's law on religion. It's actually quite simple and I love it: There is no 'one true way'. Their laws stress a freedom of religion - but also a protection from religion. If you look at the Holderkin, they are a very strict religious society - but the law protects their children and adult members as well. If you want to leave their society, the law says you must be allowed to leave and Valdemar has charities that will help these kids get back on their feet. Not only that, the law says the Holderkin have to tell their kids about these charities so they KNOW they have options. There are other religious organizations like the Holderkin in different parts of Valdemar, but since much of this story takes place in the south, we see the Holderkin. If I ever get the sequel going beyond chapter 4 we'll see another of the more conservative groups in the country (the western border is the focus of that story).

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Dalen got lucky that the guard was someone that knew him and could be trusted.  And he got lucky that he travelled with a family that was good honest folks that spoke their mind.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..