Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 7,851 Words
  • 4,384 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonriders of Pern series was created by Ann McCaffrey in 1967 and spans 24+ books published by Ballantine Books, Atheneum Books, Bantam Books, and Del Rey Books.  Any recognizable content in this story is from Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey or their representatives or inheritors.  <br> Original content provided by author of this FanFiction story without monetary compensation. <br>

The Rider's Pride - 6. Chapter 6

J’shon had won his bet regarding Zoeth’s next rising, and with four more marks from K’mer had managed to send his mother a silver necklace with a good-sized sapphire surrounded by miniature green and brown dragons. She’d been so pleased by the gift that she’d managed to send a message back to the Weyr thanking them for their generosity. When they’d turned sixteen and fifteen respectively, she’d sent them several packages containing small wood carvings of their dragons.

As scarce as wood was on the plains, they were valuable gifts to both weyrlings.

From the short first flight, all the weyrlings had flown a little more each and every day the weather permitted. As the senior weyrling group was graduated from their barracks and given their own weyrs, J’shon’s group took over the duty of flying drudges from the Lower Caverns up to higher weyrs on various errands. Sometimes riders used them as well, especially when their dragons were sleeping or otherwise occupied. A few riders whose dragons had wrenched wings or other minor injuries used them as well, and bit by bit J’shon became more and more confident in flying with Liliath.

After a month of short flights, they began to take longer flights out over the desert where they practiced the formations they’d been learning in Ground Drills since the first days after their Impression. Flying on a dragon was different than he had imagined, and far different as a rider instead of a passenger. While he had to worry about his position in relation to other dragons, when they flew it was just he and Liliath up there, together.

While she couldn’t fly as far or as long as the bigger dragons, Liliath was proving to be very maneuverable, and in the few races they were allowed, she had won every single race against the other greens from her clutching. As winter turned into spring, and spring into the beginnings of summer, J’shon and his fellow weyrlings began to fly further each and every day under the careful eye of S’lag and D’kov.

When it came time to chew firestone for the first time, they could see the haunted look in the Weyrlingmaster’s face and did their best to be as careful as possible. Liliath hated the taste of the rock, but managed to produce the best flame of all the greens. Green dragons didn’t flame as much as the other colors, but often had some of the best control. Liliath wasn’t the best in their group for that, but she did well enough.

On the day they first flamed in formation flying, the same type of practice that had resulted in two weyrlings dying, S’lag was a nervous wreck, as were all the weyrlings. However, caution won out and there wasn’t even a near miss. J’shon agreed with B’rrel that the leadership being provided by A’toly had helped with that. O’lar might be jealous of how everyone automatically followed the small bronze rider, but even he didn’t fail to see the sense of A’toly’s natural leadership.

J’shon was making a private bet that one day, in ten or twenty turns, A’toly would be Weyrleader of Igen.

By the time that they marked the one turn anniversary of their clutching, most of the weyrling group’s dragons had reached seventy percent of their full growth. Not one of them had been lost in training, and even S’lag was starting to regain confidence in his abilities as Weyrlingmaster. D’kov was proving to be a good assistant, and had been assigned that position officially. He exuded a confidence that reinforced all the weyrlings in their tasks and drills, whether it was practicing tossing firestone sacks from one dragon to another, or flaming ropes from the sky, he made each weyrling certain they could accomplish the task without hurting them, their dragon, or others.

Other events on Pern were rushing forward too. Each sevenday, the Red Star, the harbinger of Thread, crept closer to the round Eye in the Star Stones. The songs said when the Red Star was framed in the Eye, Thread would fall. Even J’shon, as much as he loved his father, now believed that Thread would be falling soon. He could see the progress of the Red Star towards the Eye, and his letters home had mentioned that several times.

Whether it was because of his father, or because they couldn’t face the fact that for the next fifty turns every person on Pern would be in mortal danger, several holders had expressed disbelief that Thread was coming. At least four minor holds, and one major hold had shut their doors to dragonriders. According to the Charter, that ancient document that had set out the rights and responsibilities of all people who had crossed from their old homes to Pern, holders were autonomous. So long as they had proven that they could hold a piece of land, improve it and thrive, they could not be forced from their homes. It was this principle that allowed his father to hold in the middle of the plains, and not even the Weyrs could change that since these holders were within their rights.

Unlike his father, though, they stopped tithing to the Weyrs as was required.

That was the concern of the Weyrleaders, though, and not something J’shon could do anything about. His focus was caring for Liliath, and preparing both of them for the menace that was coming. Even though he might want to do something about it, not even he could force his father to move to a safer hold. All he could do is make sure that he and Liliath knew how to fly in formation properly, flame well, and do their duties as the most maneuverable of dragons on Pern.

We are to gear up for a long flight. Liliath told him as he returned to their barracks after breakfast. Months ago the barracks had seemed spacious, but now with nearly grown dragons trying to fit in, it was feeling far too crowded. Liliath was waiting rather impatiently for him as he got out his flying gear, including the brand-new goggles that he’d gotten just last week as a gift from his grandfather, Crivan. These had some of the best glass produced on Pern, and not even the slightest tinge of green in them like the goggles he’d used originally.

“Well, come on.” J’shon said with a nod of his head as he finished checking over his gear and dragon. Liliath hopped and skipped outside, and stood near the doorway so he could put the riding straps on her. Now that they could fly without having to be monitored every wing beat of the way, most weyrlings took to putting on the riding straps at the entrance to the Barracks and flew from there to wherever they needed to go. With practice of long months, J’shon quickly had the straps in place, tightened and adjusted perfectly, and was clambering up Liliath’s side to his perch.

At seventy-percent of her full growth, Liliath wasn’t the biggest of greens, but neither was she particularly small. She fell right into the middle range of green dragons as far as size and maneuverability, although she was proving to be particularly fast. He took as much pride in her normal size as he did her speed.

We form up in the bowl near the lake. She told him and he nodded before giving the order to take off. Fortunately for K’mer and A’toly who were still fixing their straps on their larger dragons, Liliath’s take off didn’t stir up nearly as much dust and debris as the larger dragons. J’shon’s head snapped back as it always did when Liliath took to the air, and he felt that now familiar exhilaration of flying above the ground with just Liliath under him. They didn’t have far to go, and she barely beat her wings six times before locking them into glide position. She backwinged with minimal effort and came to a perfect landing on the sandy beach by the lake.

“Perfect as always, love.” J’shon said as he slid down her side and removed his helmet and goggles. It was already a bright, and hot day, so he took off his jacket as well, putting it near her feet while he took the time to look her over carefully in the brighter light. Her dark green hide glistened with health from the constant bathing and oiling, and he took a great deal of pride in the fact that she looked particularly healthy today. She’d just eaten the day before, so it would be another five or six days before she grew hungry again.

That was another nice change with her maturing. She hunted her own food now, either from a hunting flight or from the Weyr’s own pens. He hadn’t had to cut up a herdbeast in many sevendays for her. Some non-weyrfolk were put off by the voracious way a dragon hunted and then consumed its prey, but J’shon had felt a quiet predatory glee as he watched her hunt through her eyes.

“Watch it!” J’shon called out as the dust of a dragon landing swirled around him and got into his eyes. He’d been feeling a bit touchy all morning and his anger rose when he saw that it was green Sortath with N’sor on her back. J’shon liked N’sor well enough, but yesterday Sortath had been rude to Liliath, and that had upset him a bit. To be showered with dirt by the pair, and from the dragon snort Sortath gave Liliath before turning her head to watch K’mer and Sharth land upset J’shon even more, until he took a good look at Sortath.

“Oh my.” J’shon said aloud, and wished he could take back the look. Their dragons were a turn old now, and he saw the familiar signs in Sortath. She’d rise in three days, early afternoon from the look of her. It wasn’t the thought of a green dragon rising that made him uncomfortable anymore. Over the last turn he’d grown use to that aspect of weyr life. No, it was that Sortath was from the same clutch as Liliath, and that would mean that sooner or later Liliath would rise as well.

You do not wish me to rise? Liliath’s voice was filled with concern and as she turned to look at her rider, her eyes were tinged with yellow.

“No, it’s not that.” J’shon said softly, taking her head in his hands and rubbing her head ridges the way she liked. “I’m just nervous about it. You know, I don’t really like to think about the human side of it, but I wouldn’t want you to hold yourself back. Have you given thought to it?”

A little. She replied. I like Sharth a lot. But I like Ojeth too. Both are nice to lean against. Then I do like Flanth, but I know you do not like his rider.

“No, I don’t.” J’shon agreed with her and tried to keep the uncomfortable feelings from being felt by her. The mere mentioned of his brother’s dragon made him want to puke when connected to Liliath rising.

“Are you two making fun of us again?” N’sor’s protest dragged J’shon’s attention away from his green darling and back to the smaller weyrling who was glaring at him while sweat beaded his forehead. He knew by now that green riders got testy in the days before their dragons rose. That was one of the signs taught to all weyrlings in their eleventh month of their training.

“No.” J’shon snapped as his own temper rose a bit. “Just because Sortath’s going to rise in three days doesn’t mean you can snap at me all you want.”

“She’s what?” N’sor’s voice squeaked on the last word and he looked at J’shon with wide eyes before continuing. “Just who do you think you are to know so much about when my dragon’s going to rise?”

“I wouldn’t bet against him, not after he’s gotten so many other risings down pat.” A’toly laughed, moving between the two green riders who were starting to look like they might come to blows. Both of their greens were starting to rumble slightly in displeasure, and were actually glaring at each other with slightly agitated eyes.

Her rider upsets you so I tell her to tell him to stop. Liliath told J’shon in an irritated voice. I do not understand why he is so upset, but she says it is your fault, which I know is not true so I tell her to concern herself with her rider, not mine.

“It’s okay, Liliath.” J’shon said reassuringly. Green dragons weren’t territorial or possessive even close to rising like Sortath was. What had them upset now was that their riders were upset with each other. J’shon took another deep breath and tried to calm down a bit more as both B’rrel and K’mer joined A’toly in moving between the two green riders.

“What does he know about matings?” N’sor asked with sarcasm. “Every time he even sees a green rising he turns white and all three times the queens have risen he’s curled up on a cot with that sad…”

“Enough.” D’kov’s voice ended the tirade from N’sor who groused at the older rider. “A’toly, what’s going on here?”

“Just… proddiness.” A’toly said with a significant look at first N’sor and then J’shon. Why did he give J’shon the same look? J’shon knew he wasn’t being proddy.

“I see.” D’kov said with a knowing smile. “So it’s started already? Has J’shon made a bet yet?”

“That’s part of what set N’sor off.” A’toly replied and N’sor bristled but didn’t say anything. He just glared at J’shon.

“When’s she going to rise?” D’kov addressed the question directly to J’shon. How did he know about J’shon’s understanding of when dragons would rise? Did the entire Weyr know?

“I… uh…” J’shon temporized as he tried to understand.

“Sorry, J’shon, but after the last two times, everyone put their heads together and realized you never lost a bet on a rising.” D’kov actually laughed!

“Three days, early afternoon.” J’shon spat out each word individually.

“How about Liliath?” D’kov asked and J’shon bristled this time, but he looked at his green carefully, the way he had Sortath and ended up shrugging while holding in a sigh of relief.

“Don’t know.” He answered shortly. “More than five days.”

“Is that when you can start to tell?” D’kov asked as the rest of their weyrlings group walked up the beach and listened to the discussion. “Five days out from the rising?”

“Usually around five days I can start to tell.” J’shon admitted.

“How accurately?” D’kov asked.

“Within a few hours.” J’shon admitted sourly.

“That’s good enough then.” D’kov said with a smile. “Now, N’sor, you know the rules, if your dragon’s due to rise in a few days, you can’t leave the weyr. Go find K’tor and talk with him about what to expect in the next few days.”

“That’s not fair!” N’sor protested, but he settled down under the glare of his leader while blue Aliarth settled his dragon who had started to bugle her own protests. The pair took off with a great shower of dirt and headed towards the weyr of the older green rider who usually ‘mentored’ new green riders through their first experience rising. When they were gone, D’kov gave J’shon a firm look.

“You aren’t lying to me about Liliath, are you?” D’kov demanded and J’shon suppressed the squawk of outrage he wanted to express and just shook his head. “Good, you won’t like it if I found out you did lie to me.”

“I wouldn’t.” J’shon said, offended and hurt that the blue rider he looked up to would think so little of him.

Aliarth says he doesn’t mean to hurt you love. Liliath said softly. He is just making a show for the others.

“Good, now as soon as S’flin, M’bel and S’lag get here, we’ll be going on a long flight today.” D’kov told the assembled weyrlings. “After take off we’ll be flying southeast for at least an hour, and landing on the Koppa Plateau. Along the way we will be conducting formation flying and standard maneuvers. Remember the hand signals you’ve been taught, and fly right. It’s been a few days since we last flamed. Is anyone’s dragon still burning residual flame?”

Everyone shook his head. Even after dragons regurgitated the firestone mash from their second stomach, a little bit of gas remained in the stomach and would escape as little bits of flame for a day or two. It made an impressive sight for holders, and was being used whenever the Weyrleaders of Pern visited the recalcitrant holders refusing to tithe any longer or prepare their holds for the imminent arrival of Thread. No dragon would purposely flame a human being, except possibly in defense of his or her rider, but the reminder that dragons did flame was an important tool in dealing with some holders.

“Are we ready?” S’lag asked as he landed and dismounted a few minutes later. He looked over the assembled weyrlings and frowned. “Where are Sortath and her rider?”

“Up talking to K’tor.” D’kov answered.

“I see.” S’lag answered with a shake of his head. “They grow so fast. Alright, everyone mount! We start in an inverted-V formation!”

J’shon loved flying. Even while in formation, each dragon an entire dragonlength from the next, it was like only he and Liliath were up there. The passage of wind made it all but impossible to talk from one dragon-back to another, so communication was always by hand signal, or from dragon to dragon. S’lag’s brown would call out orders for one weyrling or another to conduct a maneuver they had been drilling while the wing headed south. Occasionally they would get a glimpse of traders or runners along the different roads below them, and they could see the winds over the desert whipping up sand dunes. It was a stunning sight altogether, and while they kept a careful eye on their airspace, it was when he was in formation that he allowed himself to just soak in the images of the ground around the Weyr.

When they had reached and settled on the Plateau an hour’s ride south of the Weyr, J’shon was glad for the warm day. Flying up in the air was cold, and the warm sun melted the cold that had started to form in his veins despite the warm clothing he’d warn. Liliath, and several of the other greens were breathing a little heavier than their larger counterparts. At full growth, a green could easily last two or three hours of flight, but many had to push it to last the six or seven hours of Threadfall. Liliath could have flown for another hour or two before she got too tired, but J’shon appreciated the Weyrlingmaster’s decision to stop for a rest here.

“Gather around, everyone.” S’lag called as they all dismounted, opening up their riding jackets and removing their goggles and helmets. J’shon smiled at the clean flesh around K’mer’s eyes where the goggles had protected them and the ring of dirt along his nose and cheeks where his riding jacket didn’t quite cover the skin. B’rrel had talked J’shon into using a wide scarf wrapped around his nose and mouth that protected him more from the chill, and the dirt, but K’mer thought the scarf was too close to what a woman might wear. As the weyrlings all gathered around the Weyrlingmaster and the other three experienced riders, J’shon started to quiver with anticipation. D’kov had a twinkle in his eyes. “How’s everyone feeling?”

“Good.” Most of the weyrlings answered, while the others used similar words.

“Your dragons?” This time S’lag pointed out each rider and had them answer specifically as to the state of his dragon.

“Glad for the rest, but ready to move on at the signal.” J’shon answered honestly, getting a nod of approval that made him feel better. S’lag’s approval meant a lot to him after answering to the man for the past turn.

“Good, now let’s talk about between.” S’lag said and paused as the weyrlings all cheered. Poor N’sor was going to be upset with him for a sevenday because of missed this. “You’ve all been through the lectures on going between. Today we are going to put those lessons to use.”

Why didn’t they tell us beforehand! J’shon complained to Liliath in the privacy of his mind. There was a pause before she answered.

Aliarth says it is because the junior weyrlings are taking their flights today and the lessons would be a distraction. Jerth’s wing will also be flying practice against H’mal’s wing so space above the Weyr will be crowded. Moeth says that you riders would be very nervous if you knew too much beforehand and being nervous is bad when going between.

“If all of you will stop talking to your dragons and asking why you weren’t told beforehand, we can get along with this exercise.” S’lag’s voice held an edge of reproach, and J’shon settled down to pay close attention to the brown rider, after sharing a smile with his brother. Going between was one of the last steps before riders were judged fit enough to travel on their own.

“Sorry, Weyrlingmaster.” A’toly spoke for all of them.

“Good.” S’lag said firmly. “This is one of the most dangerous phases of your training. Just two weeks ago Fort Weyr lost a weyrlings during this same training. The pair was so nervous that they went between and never returned. I will not have that happen today!”

That last was spoken fiercely, and J’shon shifted in place, suddenly uncomfortable and very determined that both he and Liliath would not make any mistakes.

“Now, we’re going to start with going to Red Butte in the Keroon plains.” S’lag continued. “I know some of you have seen the unique rock formation, and all of you have seen detailed drawings, in color, of the Butte. It’s the most common starting point for weyrlings on Pern, and we’ve checked to make sure no other Weyr is using it today for training. D’kov will go first and wait for you there. S’flin will circle us in the air here. You should begin practicing the visualization of Red Butte now. Visualize it in your head, and make sure your dragon sees it perfectly. Your dragon must know exactly where it is that you want him or her to go.”

“Don’t visualize animals, people, or individual plants, even trees.” D’kov added from behind the Weyrlingmaster. They all move, even trees fall down in windstorms. Rock formations, or stone buildings are the best visualizations. Permanent things, things that rarely change are necessary for a good jump between.”

“After Moeth has guaranteed you have a good visualization, you will take off and circle once with S’flin.” S’lag continued. “You will memorize this plateau for your return trip. When he feels you are ready, you will head over to M’bel who will give your dragon the actual visualization for your first jump. You’ll land at Red Butte, and when D’kov feels you are ready, you will take off again, getting your visualization from M’bel once again. He and I will switch off so our dragons don’t tire out as much. Any questions?”

“Will we actually go between on our own visualization?” O’lar asked with a frown.

“Yes, once you’ve gone under guidance once, each of you will go again.” S’lag answered. It took about an hour before it was J’shon’s turn with Liliath. So far, everyone had made a perfect jump between and back. Even S’lag was relaxing as J’shon’s turn came up last of the weyrlings. While he wanted to crow for joy as he took off, he stayed as serious as he could while he passed S’flin’s test and then followed S’lag himself between. When he came out of the cold blackness of between, it was to see Red Butte below them. This time he did let out a whoop of victory, and saw the hand signal of congratulations from his Weyrlingmaster as he landed.

“Everything go smoothly?” D’kov asked when they landed, and carefully looked over both weyrling and young dragon.

“Liliath was perfect!” J’shon nearly shouted.

I can do this! Liliath crowed in his mind. Your picture was as clear as S’lag’s! No difference at all and even Moeth agrees. He says S’lag is impressed with how clearly you pictured Red Butte.

“That’s nice.” J’shon said aloud with a big smile. D’kov just smiled in return, not bothering to ask about the private conversation of another rider and his dragon.

“You’re just about done now.” D’kov said with a fond smile as S’lag and Moeth circled around the Butte. “Pretty soon you’ll have your own weyr and you’ll be ready to join a fighting wing just in time for Thread.”

“Yes.” J’shon said softly. He was fond of the blue rider, and he had to admit, of the blue rider’s weyrmate as well. “I think even my father is starting to accept that Thread will fall soon.”

“He is.” D’kov said softly. “H’mal has sent me out to talk to your father a few times.”

“I didn’t know that.” J’shon said softly.

“We didn’t want you to be tempted to go between too early.” D’kov said with a smile. “You weyrlings do leap before you look sometimes. Anyway, Kapian’s thinking about relocating to one of the deserted holds along the northern rim of the plains. There are several up there that have been uninhabited since the plague of Moreta’s time, and Lord Bisal has promised him any that Kapian felt he could hold with the people he has now. H’mal offered a dragon to fly him out to look at the most promising.”

“Did he pick one?” J’shon asked anxiously. He’d been growing more and more worried lately, and had even had a nightmare or two about his family being devoured by Thread.

“Yes, and a fine hold it is too.” D’kov said with a smile. “He’s offered to pay for dragon riders to carry him and a few of his people over the next few sevendays to start clearing the deserted hold of vegetation and making it habitable again. He insists he won’t move until it is confirmed that Thread is falling, but he plans to be ready.”

“That’s good to hear.” J’shon said with real relief.

“You know, since he’s waiting a sevenday or two there won’t be a need for him to pay for dragonriders to carry him up there.” D’kov said. “Your free time is your own, and we usually give weyrlings a few days off after they’ve mastered between. Kapian has given two fine riders to the Weyr, and H’mal won’t object to those sons returning to help their father.”

“I’ll talk to K’mer.” J’shon said with a smile as D’kov nodded and stepped back before giving him the signal to lift off. With a motion swift enough to whip his head back again, Liliath leaped into the air and let out a trumpeting bugle of joy as they formed up with the Weyrlingmaster to take their coordinates from him again.

Going between back to the plateau was almost anti-climatic, but he enjoyed the hugs and slaps on the back from the weyrlings he had grown closest to: his brother, B’rrel, and A’toly. In some ways it was more momentous than their first flight, because it heralded their real freedom in being able to go anywhere on Pern, but he still treasured the memories of Impressing Liliath above all others, and their first flight was a close second. Going between would have to be a distant third.

“I know, D’kov told me as well.” K’mer said with a bright smile a little while later. A’toly was making his first flight between on his own, and they were waiting for him to return. “I talked to B’rrel while we waited for you to come back and he said he’d go as well when we got permission. A’toly heard us talking and said he’ll go as well. That’s a bronze, two browns, and your beautiful green going so we should be able to carry Father, whoever else he wants to go, and any supplies they’ll need as well.”

“That’ll be good.” J’shon said with a smile. His father would be pleased at all the help from the Weyr! Even if it was just the weyrlings, they were still his sons and it was only proper the Weyr gave back to him a little of what he lost when two of his sons Impressed.

J’shon was nervous when his turn came to go between on his own visualizations. S’lag was still nervous as well, but had relaxed a little at all the successful flights. When he and Liliath broke out of the cold darkness of between into the warm air above the Butte, the plains rang with his and Liliath’s shouts of triumph. They landed and D’kov gave them a quick look over before ordering them back into the air. J’shon waved to M’bel who had followed them before imagining the Plateau as clearly as he could and signaling Liliath to take them there.

It is a good picture. She said calmly before the coldness of between chilled his bones of the warmth provided by their time at the Butte.

“Let’s head home for lunch.” S’lag said as the weyrlings celebrated their achievement. The Weyrlingmaster smiled at a thought. “It’s already past mid-day, so we’ll go home via between. I’m sure all of you can picture Igen Weyr easily, but have your dragon double-check with one of the older dragons now.”

Tabath confirmed that J’shon’s visualization was good and they took off with the others in formation, waiting for the hand signal to travel between. Igen Weyr had very distinct spires all along its rim where the desert wind and sand had carved the rock into stunningly beautiful shapes. In the middle of summer, with the sun reflecting off the lake in shimmers that could blind a man, J’shon had no problem picturing his new home. He even included the exact angle of the sun in the sky, an important step of the process. One had to be careful with time, especially when crossing time zones like they had in their travel to the Butte. The Butte was a time zone ahead of them here, so the sun had been higher each time they’d gone there, and they had to imagine the sun lower in the sky when they returned to the plateau.

At S’lag’s direction, they appeared above and to the west of the volcanic crater. The fighting wings were practicing off to the east, over the desert, and they had to be careful to stay high enough from the bowl to not collide with any other dragon that might be taking off or landing. The watchdragon, a brown sitting near the Star Stones, gave them a bugle of triumph at their return, and J’shon found his face stretched by a massive smile as they landed in the bowl.

“Form up, lads.” S’lag called as they slid off their dragons. Everyone was excited, and it took them a moment to calm down under the stern gaze of their Weyrlingmaster. “You’ve all done well today, lads. I’m proud of you. You’re almost ready to end your training, but I want to warn you. This is the most dangerous part for each of you. Your lives change from today on into the future. You will have more freedom, and more responsibility than any other person on Pern except another dragon rider. Some out there may dismiss you green riders easily, but you will know freedom and responsibility like no other person on Pern.

“Zoeth will be laying her eggs any day now, and your barracks need to be scoured and prepared for the next group of weyrlings.” S’lag continued and J’shon’s heart leaped into this throat at the words and their portent. “Delonna says it will take weeks to get your barracks properly clean, so we’ll give her that time and more. You are to tend to your dragons and then head into the Lower Caverns where you’ll find the drudges have saved you some food. Delonna will attend you when you’re done eating and work out your weyr assignments with you.”

The cheering that rose at that prevented the Weyrlingmaster from continuing, and J’shon was nearly hammered to the ground as K’mer and B’rrel both slapped him on the back. Several of their dragons bugled their own happiness at finally having their own weyrs. No one had mentioned it much, but it had been the dragons who’d been suffering most from the crowded barracks space.

“Calm down.” The Weyrlingmaster barked after a few minutes and the weyrlings snapped back into their places from the habit of their training. “You’re still weyrlings, not Wing Riders. Tomorrow T’thog who leads the Weyrling Wing’ll meet you. He will give you your wing assignments. T’thog answers to me, and until you leave the Weyrling Wing, so will each of you. Don’t grow careless now. We’ve lost none of you so far because you have been careful. Don’t let the freedom you’re about to have go to your heard, or the dragons will be keening over losing you and your dragon, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes Weyrlingmaster!” They all shouted as one.

“Good, tend to your dragons and then yourselves.” S’lag said with pride before turning to walk away.

I can see our weyr. Liliath said excitedly, her eyes whirling blue and green so rapidly that they almost made J’shon dizzy. J’shon smiled as he removed her riding straps and patted her flank

“Do you need a scrubbing, love?” He asked her and she shook her long neck in the negative.

I will go relax in the water with Ojeth and Sharth. She told him. Once we have moved into our weyr, you can bathe me properly, and oil me in our new home.

“Alright, love, off with you then.” He said affectionately as he carefully wound the riding straps into a loop and put them over his shoulder and through one arm. They crossed his chest like a bandolier and he smiled as he saw his brother and most of the others doing the same thing before they headed into the Caverns as a group.

Seeing N’sor sitting at their table, alone, and with a frown on his face made J’shon feel a little guilty. J’shon pushed it away though, because it was not his fault that Sortath was going into heat. Weyr tradition was very firm that greens and golds that were close to rising did not leave the weyr except under great need. Their increased sexuality had a negative effect on stolid holders and created problems for the Weyr in those situations.

“So you all got to go between, eh, while I got a lecture about how to care for a dragon about to rise?” N’sor was bitter.

“Oh back off you proddy green.” B’rrel said with a hint of contempt. “You know damn well after she rises you’ll be getting personal instruction from S’lag. We had to stand around and wait for our turn and until each and every one of us was done before doing it again. You’ll get to do it as soon as you’re ready and you won’t have to stand around for hours waiting for the rest of us.”

“I… I hadn’t thought of that.” N’sor said with a guilty look, and a slight smile. He looked at J’shon then, and his grin turned vicious, like he’d done something J’shon wouldn’t like and would take pleasure from that. J’shon shook off the look, imagining it was just his imagination. Several drudges carried out a big pot of good wherry stew, filled with greens and tubers that tasted wonderful, as did the fresh bread. The Weyr now had nearly three hundred riders, including weyrlings, but it also had twice that number in support staff doing everything from slaughtering their meat to cooking, and cleaning. J’shon would be expected to clean his own weyr for the most part, but every other part of the weyr was usually cleaned by the support staff who lived in the dormitories near the Lower Cavern. Most were the children of rider who were raised in the Weyr and never Impressed. Others were crafters assigned to the Weyr by their Halls to help support the dragonriders. Still others were holders and crafters who had been Searched and either not Impressed but chose to stay, or were waiting for their chance to Impress. A small group of them had sought protection in the Weyr from abusive families, or had just not fit in at home and found the Weyr a fit for their lives.

“Are all of you ready to choose your new weyrs?” Delonna asked with a rare smile as she came out of the kitchens. They’d just finished a fine desert of fruit pastries, and two drudges carrying a large map of the weyr, carved and decorated on rare sky-broom wood followed her. It was the most beautiful map that J’shon had ever seen. He noted how every individual weyr was marked with a wax tab that had the names of the rider and dragon occupying that weyr. “I know each of you have had time to look over the available weyrs and pick which one suits you. Once we’ve assigned the weyrs, I’m going to open up storage and you can pick up what you need to furnish your weyr from there. We’ve got just about all the rugs you’ll need, tapestries, and furniture. Some drudges will be more than happy to help you move the heavier stuff outside where your dragon can help you carry it up to your new weyr. If you need help moving things up there, get a few of your fellow weyrlings to help, or give a drudge a ride up to your weyr.

“While you’re picking out your furnishings, I’ll have a team of drudges going up and giving your new weyr a quick cleaning.” She continued after taking a deep breath and waved an admonishing finger at them. “Don’t you be thinking you’ll get free cleaning after that. You can either clean your weyrs yourself, or you can hire someone to do it with your own marks or whatever they’ll accept as barter. If I find any one of you have tricked or intimidated someone into cleaning your weyr without compensation, you’ll wish you’d never crossed me!”

“Now, bronzes go first.” She said and J’shon leaned back to wait. Bronzes always went first in the weyr, well, they went first after the queens. Some might think it unfair, but he understood by now that bronzes and browns really did lead better and earned the privileges they were given, just as all dragonriders earned the privileges given them by the rest of Pern.

“That’s not right!” B’rrel bellowed angrily when his turn came. “That was not supposed to be N’sor’s weyr! How did he already pick?”

“He was stuck here while the rest of you learned between.” Delonna’s voice was sharp, and J’shon was reminded that she had fostered B’rrel for most of his life until he Impressed. “I felt it was only fair and he assured me that the weyr he picked wasn’t one someone else would want.”

“Well, it has that connection sanitary to the weyr that I want.” B’rrel snarled. “J’shon was going to pick that weyr because we didn’t mind sharing facilities and most of these other weyrs don’t have facilities. I don’t want to share with N’sor!”

“What, I’m not good enough for you, high and mighty brown rider?” N’sor sneered.

“I don’t want to hear one word out of you!” Delonna said angrily to the green rider who widened his eyes in disbelief. “You tricked me and I won’t forget that anytime soon. You better keep your nose clean because if you get on punishment detail now, you end up coming to me and I will make you wish for the warmness of between before I’m done with you! Now, let me think for a moment, B’rrel. You’ve been wronged here, and it seems like it was done on purpose. There’s nothing to do about it now.”

“Make N’sor move.” B’rrel growled and got a stern look from Delonna.

“You know me better than that young man.” She said with real vehemence. “I told the boy he could pick first, and he did. The fact that he lied about his choice not being desired by anyone else won’t make me go back on my word. You weyrlings need to remember how important keeping your word is in life! Now, if you’re willing, I have an alternative for you. His weyr is still empty since he passed on, you know, and he had a double ledge for his and his weyrmate’s dragon. His weyrmate passed on turns ago. It’s been a few months, but most of the couples already have their own double or connected weyrs. This one’s got two bedrooms so you wouldn’t have to share with J’shon if he’s also willing. I doubt anyone will complain.”

“I will.” O’lar said fiercely. “I’m a bronze rider, I should get the best choice of weyrs.”

“You got your choice already and I’ll remind you that I asked if you were sure and you said you were.” Delonna retorted.

“But I didn’t know there was one on the lower levels I could choose!” He fumed angrily. “It’s not fair.”

“You’ve got another rider to share it with?” She asked him and he shook his head after giving a guilty look at all the green riders around him. Bronze riders always preferred women in their bed, but there were only three gold dragons in the weyr, and it would be turns before he had a chance of flying one of them with his Potath, if ever. Until then, now that he was having his own weyr, J’shon and everyone else in their group were guessing he’d bring that drudge he’d been dating up to his weyr.

“No.” He said sullenly before staring off at the entrance of the Cavern so he wouldn’t have to meet her gaze.

“Good, now J’shon, I know it’s not your turn, but since I’ll only give this one to B’rrel if he shares, I’ll have your opinion now.” She said as she looked at J’shon. “I know it’s not the same as just having your own weyr, but it is twice as large as normal weyrs, and it does have two bedrooms. You’ll just have to share decorating of the main living area and the dragon perches with B’rrel.”

I like the weyr. I can share with Ojeth. He can keep me warm at night. Liliath told him immediately, giving him her vote.

“More like I’ll decorate and he’ll have to live with it.” J’shon muttered loud enough for everyone to hear and laugh. B’rrel had no sense of what colors matched and which clashed, as he’d proven with several badly matched outfits.

“Fine by me, but my room is mine, and I choose what goes there.” B’rrel retorted and they both smiled before nodding at the Weyr’s Headwoman.

“Good, now K’mer, what about you?” She asked and J’shon felt his heart drop. B’rrel had won the toss with K’mer over who would share the connecting weyr, but K’mer was still supposed to have occupied the weyr on the other side of J’shon, even if it didn’t connect.

“How about the weyr two levels above theirs?” K’mer asked. The weyr was also offset to the left, so his dragon would be able to lean over the ledge and see them, and it would be just a short hop away.

“That’s a good weyr, that one.” Delonna said with delight. “Brown rider H’loth took that weyr until he became the first brown rider to be made Wing Leader in the history of Igen. That was in the Fifth Pass, you know.”

“No, I didn’t.” K’mer said with a pleased smile at the history of his pick. That may have been half a millennium ago, but for a brown rider to lead a wing was a rare occurrence.

Sharing a weyr with B’rrel wasn’t quite what he had been intending, but as they picked out several pieces of furniture from stores, J’shon thought it wouldn’t be too bad. He’d never lived alone in his life, and while Liliath would be there, he liked the idea of having human company in his weyr as well. B’rrel followed him as he went through the stores when it was their turn. As it ended up working out, J’shon picked out all the furniture, tapestries, and rugs for their weyr as well as their beds.

B’rrel did pick out two hammocks they could string up on the hottest of nights when even a down-filled bed would be too hot. He looked oddly as J’shon picked out well-used but still thick rugs, and passed over the newest tapestries for some in the back that were obviously done by apprentices, not journeyman or masters. When he asked, J’shon explained that the apprentice tapestries were thicker, and thus warmer, while the carpets were still thick, but worn enough that they wouldn’t have to worry about damaging them. For their dragons’ couches, he picked out two very thick blankets that would both keep the chill of the stone off of them, and that were soft enough as to not injure their skin.

Four male drudges helped them out with their furniture and rugs. Ojeth was waiting for them, and waited longer while J’shon fetched their longer cargo straps. In the barracks, he noticed that all the personal items of the weyrlings, except for their riding gear, had already been removed. Grabbing straps for both dragons, he ran back to the Lower Cavern entrance and they began to secure the heavier wood furniture to Ojeth’s back while Liliath was happily loaded down with tapestries and rugs. The down mattresses for their two beds (already in the weyr having been left there by the previous occupants) would come last.

It took four trips by dragonback for them to get everything into their weyr, and both young riders gave lifts to the drudges helping them so they could also help move things around the weyr. It took until suppertime before they had everything in place. There were still several tapestries to place, and they would need glow globes to light the place when they returned, but it was clean, well organized, and both their dragons were already stretching out on their new ledges.

“Welcome home, dragonrider.” B’rrel said smugly before they headed down to supper. J’shon’s smile just wouldn’t quit.

©1967-2022 Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey; All Rights Reserved; Dragonriders of Pern is Copyrighted by Ann McCaffrey and her fine folks. This story belongs to dkstories.
  • Like 26
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dragonriders of Pern series was created by Ann McCaffrey in 1967 and spans 24+ books published by Ballantine Books, Atheneum Books, Bantam Books, and Del Rey Books.  Any recognizable content in this story is from Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey or their representatives or inheritors.  <br> Original content provided by author of this FanFiction story without monetary compensation. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I see N'sor's plan backfired on him once again. Hopefully he learns first time around but I doubt it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/20/2013 06:46 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
J'shon and B'rell forever!
Why be so limited? J'shon, B'rell and K'mer forever!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/20/2013 07:55 AM, Daithi said:
I see N'sor's plan backfired on him once again. Hopefully he learns first time around but I doubt it.
N'Sor better hope his dragon doesn't backfire while chewing firestone the way his plans happen to backfire.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow! An incestuous poly amorous relationship with two browns and one green? Somebody is gonna be sore until he's well broken in! LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, the best laid plans sometimes go by the wayside.  I like how the Headwoman handled all of this, silly children and their silly games; well maybe not children but young men but still...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..