Jump to content

A Soldier's Guide to Single Parenting

   (9 reviews)
Sub-genres: Drama, Non-Contemporary

After losing his wife to illness, a decorated war hero is determined to keep his family together, but his parenting skills are tested during the summer break by financial restraints, an increasing reliance on alcohol, and the discovery that his eldest son is gay.

The story is set somewhere in North America in the not too distant past. Readers are invited to guess the exact year and place and there are subtle clues in each of the ten chapters.
My thanks to TimothyM, Carlos Hazday, and Sweetlion, for their valuable help and guidance.
Copyright © 2018 Dodger; All Rights Reserved.
  • Signature Author
  • 04/15/2018 (Updated: 06/17/2018)
  • 11 Chapters
  • 48,458 Words
  • 58,091 Views
  • 402 Comments
  • Teen
  • Complete

Story Recommendations (4 members)

  • Action Packed 1
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 4
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 3
  • Unique 1
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Canuk

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

Great story, well written. Emotional, eithical and moral isues raised and dealt with in a story with beautifully crafted characters in an engaging storyline. Highly recommended.

  • Like 7
  • Love 8
Link to review
chris191070

· Edited by chris191070

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

A great story from Dodger. This story covers a lot of issues, hard reading in part’s, but it showed Jeff suffering from PTSD. He finds out his son is gay, can’t handle it, so we see the moments in his life that see him hit rock bottom, lose his family but through events he manages to turn his life round and get his family back. A highly recommend read.

  • Like 10
  • Love 5
Link to review
quokka

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

Thanks for writing this story. I enjoyed it very much, even though it has some difficult events in it. Regards Q

  • Like 8
  • Love 6
Link to review
Carlos Hazday

· Edited by Carlos Hazday

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

Jeff, a widowed Vietnam veteran, faces challenges raising his four children alone. His war experience and alcoholism influence his actions to the point we end up with a main character who's not a likable person. Throw in a religious zealot as the antagonist and conflict ensues.

The author painfully takes us through the protagonist's decline as his family falls apart. It's Jeff's story but the supporting cast is essential to the tale. Commentary on various social issues is skillfully blended into the narrative. A rough ending is somewhat satisfying.

Those snippets I give into the story may dissuade some from reading but I advise against ignoring  A Soldier's Guide to Single Parenting. It's a well-written tale worth your time.

 

 

  • Like 9
  • Love 7
Link to review
Zeke Pine

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Thanks for telling a story that should never have to be told. It is truly criminal that it is still told to this very day.

  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

A very well done and engaging story. It isn't pretty, in fact sometimes it is brutal. It will anger and frustrate you but read it all. It is worth your effort and time.

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
Howzat

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

I know I must have read this story a while ago as I've put reactions on all the chapters, but I don't remember when!

What an absolutely fantastic story - heart-rendingly tragic and knowing such things still happen today is appalling! A family ripped apart and almost destroyed before we get the HEA that this story deserved.

To know that some nations in this world believe you should be put to death just because of who you love is completely wrong.

I've read it end-to-end today and I just couldn't stop reading!

@Dodgeryou greatly deserve your promtion to Signature Author!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Mancunian

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Brutal, gritty and very true to life as it was at the time. This is not a story for the faint hearted or those expecting hearts, flowers and a 'happy ever after', it's not that type of story. It's very well written and a compelling story. Jeff is a man that is a product of his time, brought up when it was okay to be a misogynistic bigot. to make matters worse he suffers from PTSD after fighting in the Vietnamese war. Still grieving after his wife's death he has to deal with his eldest son admitting he is gay. You probably won't agree with him, but you will be drawn into his struggles and how he deals with life and brings some balance to it. It's a compelling and recommended read.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
Cane23

· Edited by Cane23

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Written from the point of view of Vietnam war veteran, widower and father of four, this unique tale brings the story of struggle, acceptance, alcoholism, PTSD, religious fundamentalism, coming out... This is story of love and family, loss and fight to survive when everything seams lost. 

Emotional story, some parts might be difficult to read, some will bring tears at your eyes, but the end will bring a real satisfaction. From ashes, through hell and remorse till redemption our hero will save himself and his family. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..