Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 4. # 23 Mariah

# 23
Write a short story that includes each of the following:
A black hat; a torn blanket; an angry librarian; a green sports car; a lonely girl; a happy young man; a silver watch; a crisp slice of toast

Mariah

 

He had watched her for six weeks. She came to the library every Monday and Wednesday afternoon. She spent two or three hours reading there. Julian had changed his schedule according to hers. He came to the library every Monday and Wednesday. He always sat at a certain distance from her. He usually just saw her back. He saw her face only now and then when she stood and went to and from one of the shelves.

Julian didn’t know her name. She was not a beauty. But there was something about her that intrigued him. She had long, dark hair. And a small smile played on her lips always. Was she a happy or was she a lonely girl? Julian was wondering.

It was Wednesday again. Julian was waiting in the library for his dream girl. She was late. Julian looked at his silver watch. He was worrying. What if she would not come to the library today? What if she would never come to it again?

Julian glanced around. He didn’t spot the angry librarian. So he took a crisp slice of toast from a box and ate it. Absentmindedly, he watched a man with a black hat enter the library and cross the room. There was something weird about him. Julian gazed after him, wondering who the man was. He had already seen him on Monday. The man had climbed off a green sports car. Julian was pondering.

He startled when he sensed a hand on his shoulder. Julian turned around instantly and looked in the eyes of his dream girl. She smiled at him and her eyes sparkled. Her dark hair perfectly matched the tone of her skin. Julian blushed deeply.

The girl smiled impishly.

"I have seen you here every Monday and Wednesday," she said. "It’s a sunny day. How about we have picnic in the park? Unfortunately, I have only a torn blanket to sit on. But I guess it will do," she said.

Julian was overwhelmed with her flood of words.

"What?" he asked insecurely.

The girl smiled.

"Listen," she said, "my name is Mariah. And you’re name is Julian. I have found out about that. I was waiting four weeks for you to come and speak to me. I adjusted my schedule to yours. I spent every Monday and Wednesday afternoon in the library just because those are the times you are here."

"Adjusted your schedule…," Julian mumbled.

"Yes," Mariah said. "I spent hours in this library although I’d rather prefer to sit in the park. So, will you come with me now?"

Julian nodded and rose from his chair. Mariah smiled at him and pointed at the entrance.

"This way," she said.

Julian nodded. He followed her silently. He almost felt like in a state of shock. His dream girl had actually spoken to him. He was about to having picnic with her. Was it real or was it just a dream? Julian didn’t know. He was not able to think coherently. He just felt he was a happy young man.

 

  

Dolores Esteban
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/01/2011 08:31 PM, carringtonrj said:
Sweet. Why did this sort of thing never happen to me? I do like these little tales of yours.
Thank you very much for your nice and encouraging comments! :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..