Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 12. Chapter 12



Roger knocked at Hugh Audley’s door. Finally, the door opened. Audley looked at Roger. He held a candle in his hand. Audley was dressed in a nightgown.

“D’Amory?” Audley asked with a puzzled look on his face. “It is way past midnight. I had already gone to sleep.”

“Forgive me for disturbing you,” Roger said in a low voice. “But I was thinking. We are about to take the wrong step.”

Audley gazed at him, but then he stepped aside and waved his hand.

“Come in,” he said and opened the door more.

Roger entered the room. Hugh Audley closed the door. Audley pointed at two chairs. He placed the candle on a table in front of them.

“Take a seat, Roger,” he said.

Roger and Audley sat down. Audley looked at Roger curiously.

“So tell me why we are about to take the wrong step?” Audley asked.

Roger looked at the man. Audley’s silken nightgown distracted him slightly. Roger cleared his throat.

“We need not know what Despenser tries to conceal,” he said. “This knowledge would not help us. We just could try to extort him also. But we would not be able to win him over. He would inform Sir Mortimer at once. I am fairly sure we would not outlive the day then.”

Audley leaned back and looked at Roger. He nodded slowly.

“You are very right, d’Amory,” he said in a stifled voice. “I did not consider this.”

Silence fell. The two men looked at each other.

“So we cannot do anything,” Audley said in a resigned voice.

Roger leaned forward.

“We could try to speak to Edward and make him aware of what is going on,” he suggested.

“Edward is enamoured of Hugh Despenser. He feels far less enthusiastic about seeing you or me,” Audley said.

They looked at each other for another while.

“Nonetheless, we must try,” Roger insisted. “At least, I feel that I ought to. I owe this to the king.”

“To the king or to the man?” Audley asked curiously.

Roger shrugged.

“To the king,” he said finally.

Audley nodded slowly.

“Yes, I agree, d’Amory. We owe it to the king,” he said. “So be it, then. Let us try and save the king from his possible doom and destruction.”

Audley leaned back. Roger studied his face.

“I just think we will not have a chance. But we must left nothing untried,” Audley said.

Silence fell. Finally, Roger straightened. He was about to rise to his feet when Audley raised his arm and made a gesture with his hand.

“Wait,” Audley said.

Roger stopped within the movement. He gave Audley a questioning look.

“You have come here late at night. You could as well stay for the night,” Audley said.

Hugh Audley just looked at Roger. His face was entirely free of emotion. His eyes were fixed on Roger’s face. Roger looked back. His eyes rested on Audley’s nightgown for a second. Then he looked up and looked into Audley’s eyes.

“What if I reject your offer?” Roger asked.

Audley shrugged and waved his hand lazily.

“Then you reject it,” he simply said.

Audley shrugged again. He studied Roger’s face. And then he gave Roger an encouraging look.

“But you could as well accept it,” Hugh Audley said.

Hugh Audley smiled at Roger. Roger blinked. His eyes briefly roamed over Audley’s body. Audley’s smile broadened.

“You are considering accepting it, aren’t you?” Audley said with a smirk.

Audley rose to his feet and moved to Roger. He stopped behind Roger’s chair. Hugh Audley bent down. Roger felt Audley’s lips on his ear. A shiver ran through Roger’s body. He turned his head slightly. Audley smirked at him. Roger gave him a small smile, and then he leaned in to Roger.

Dawn was breaking when Roger awoke. The room was unfamiliar to him. Roger was feeling confused. But then it dawned on him slowly. He turned on his side and saw Hugh Audley lying next to him. Audley was still fast asleep. Roger watched Audley’s face until the man moved slightly and opened his eyes. Audley looked confused also for a moment, but then he recognized Roger and smiled.

~~**~~


Hugh Despenser awoke. He heard Edward’s steady breathing. Hugh looked at the sleeping king briefly. Hugh turned his eyes away and gazed at the ceiling. Hugh Despenser was thinking. He still had not found a way out of the trap. So far, one idea only had come to his mind. He could entrust the matter to the king and ask him to silence Sir Mortimer. Hugh was certain that Edward would leave his chamberlain his birthright, his titles and ranks, provided...

Hugh sat up in the bed.

“Provided Sir Mortimer hands over the letter, which he will only do when forced to do so by the king. This means I must unveil the secret to the king. One question remains, though,’ Hugh whispered. “Will Edward be brave enough to silence Sir Mortimer and also the queen?”

Hugh looked at the sleeping king. Edward was not a stupid man. He was clever. He was even bold and passionate sometimes. But Edward was also weak. He gave in too often. He gave away too much.

Hugh touched Edward’s temple lightly.

“You ought to stand up and act like a king,” he said quietly.

Edward opened his eyes and looked at Hugh in confusion.

“What did you say?” he asked in a muffled voice.

“Time to get up, my king,” Hugh Despenser said with a small smile.

Hugh got off the bed and picked up a gown. Edward watched him from the bed.

“So be it, my royal chamberlain,” Edward said cheerfully while sitting up in the bed.

Hugh opened the curtains and picked up Edward’s gown.

“Do you wish to visit the bathhouse this morning?” he asked.

“I do,” Edward said, rising to his feet.

He took the gown Hugh held out to him.

“I want you to come with me,” Edward said.

Hugh gave the king a smile.

“I must,” he said. “I am the royal chamberlain. I must follow the commands of my king.”

Edward smiled at Hugh.

“Luckily, you are my chamberlain. Sir Rowley made a good decision,” Edward said, turning to the door.

‘Not so much Sir Rowley’s decision. Rather Sir Mortimer’s decision,’ Hugh thought. He straightened. ‘I must find a way to make him stand up and silence Sir Mortimer.’

~~**~~


Isabella stood by the window. Dawn was breaking. The queen had already dressed. She had sent a servant to Sir Mortimer. She wanted to speak to him in her parlour.

Sir Mortimer knocked at the door. He looked tired and slightly dishevelled. Isabella looked at Sir Mortimer.

“Three weeks have passed and no more signs of affection,” the queen said angrily.

Isabella curled her lips slightly.

“Patience, my lady,” Sir Mortimer said.

He suppressed a yawn. He was still feeling tired. He watched the queen who stood by the window. Isabella turned to Sir Mortimer abruptly.

“Three weeks have passed,” she said impatiently.

Sir Mortimer gave her a nod.

“I know that Sir Duffy spoke to the king,” Sir Mortimer said. “Sir Duffy asked the king to act with more reserve. The king agreed. I suppose the king has instructed his chamberlain. Hugh Despenser must step carefully, my lady.”

Isabella shrugged angrily. She brushed back a strand of her hair.

“I find it hard to wait,” she said angrily.

The queen frowned at Sir Mortimer. Sir Mortimer shrugged.

“Oh, my lady,” he said. “We have been waiting for so long. A week more or less, or even a month more or less...it does not really matter, don’t you think so?”

Isabella gazed at Sir Mortimer with widened eyes. The queen was speechless. She looked at Sir Mortimer in disbelief.

“I cannot believe. Are you giving in, Mortimer?” she asked with a frown.

Isabella curled her lips. She cast Sir Mortimer an angry look.

‘Silly French goose,’ Sir Mortimer thought.

He was tired. He was feeling unnerved. He was impatient also. However, Sir Mortimer controlled his demeanour. He hid his emotions from the queen.

“I will talk to the chamberlain today or tomorrow,” Sir Mortimer said in a measured voice.

“Today. You must talk to Despenser today,” Isabella commanded. “I will not accept any delay.”

Isabella furrowed her brows. She curled her lips and scowled at Sir Mortimer.

Sir Mortimer studied the queen’s face.

‘She grows uglier every day,’ he thought.

Sir Mortimer hid his thought from the queen. He gave the queen a bow instead.

“Today,” Sir Mortimer said resignedly. “I will speak to him today. I will see to it, my lady.”

Isabella nodded and flashed Sir Mortimer another angry look. Then she waved her hand impatiently. Sir Mortimer retreated and left the queen’s parlour.

~~**~~


Roger d’Amory and Hugh Audley walked down the path that led to the bathhouse. They were not expecting the king there at dawn. They arrived just when the door opened and the king and his chamberlain stepped out of the bathhouse. Edward and Hugh Despenser were properly dressed while Roger and Audley were dressed only in nightgowns.

Edward gazed at Roger and Audley in disbelief. Hugh Despenser also gazed at them for a moment, but then the chamberlain started to smirk. Roger and Audley gazed at Edward in almost horror. They did not dare to move.

Edward’s cheeks flushed and an enraged look crossed his face. Hugh Despenser placed his hand on the king’s arm lightly.

“We must hurry, my lord,” he said to the king softly. “Sir Duffy and a visitor will arrive in order to speak to you right after breakfast. I understood it was a matter of urgency.”

Edward calmed down. He gave Hugh a brief nod. Hugh Despenser smirked and then winked at Roger and Audley. Roger and Audley still did not move. But Roger finally blinked and straightened. He bowed to the king.

“Good morning, my lord,” Roger said stiffly.

Audley followed Roger’s example. Hugh Despenser found it hard to not burst into laughter. Edward did not respond. He gazed at the two men for another second or two. Then he turned his eyes away and moved on quickly. His chamberlain followed him. Audley and Roger turned around and looked after them.

“Let’s go inside,” Roger said finally.

Audley nodded. They entered the bathhouse.

“For heaven’s sake,” Audley said. “This definitely brought our plan to naught.”

The man was all in a fluster.

“Did you see Despenser’s face?” Roger asked.

Audley shook his head.

“I only saw that Edward’s cheek had blushed,” he said.

“Hugh Despenser smirked,” Roger said soberly.

Audley turned his head to him.

“Perhaps Hugh Despenser is not our foe,” Roger said. “We could try to win him over first before we speak to Edward.”

Hugh Audley looked at Roger pensively.

“I cannot say,” he said.

Audley was frustrated. Roger gave him a reassuring look.

~~**~~


“What an affront,” Edward said in a sharp voice as he moved on. “How could they dare to come to the bathhouse? How could they dare to come there in nightgowns?”

Edward was enraged, although he himself had gone to the bathhouse dressed only in a nightgown.

‘But, after all, I am the king, am I not?’ Edward thought.

Hugh Despenser watched the king. He smiled inwardly.

“What an affront,” Edward said again.

Edward looked ahead and walked on grimly. He suddenly turned his eyes to Hugh.

“You do not utter a word, why?” Edward asked the chamberlain.

Hugh gave Edward a small smile.

“I was just thinking. It seems that d’Amory and Audley are amusing themselves. They apparently had a nice day...,” Hugh said drily.

Edward narrowed his eyes for a moment.

“Night, you mean. Are you making a fool of me also, Hugh Despenser, royal chamberlain?” Edward asked warily.

Hugh shook his head.

“Not at all, my lord. You asked me to tell you my thoughts. I told you I thought d’Amory and Audley were amusing themselves,” Hugh said soberly. He still smiled inwardly.

“Apparently,” Edward said angrily. “They can do whatever they want to. But I don’t want them to demonstrate their amusement to the king.”

Hugh Despenser nodded. He started talking about the duties of the day in order to distract the king from his disturbing thoughts. Hugh still smirked inwardly. The discarded favourites were entirely right in demonstrating their amusement, he thought. Hugh changed his attitude towards Audley and d’Amory. He had considered them wimps. But, apparently, the two men were bolder than he had thought.

~~**~~


The sight of Audley and Roger still gnawed on Edward. The king scowled at them at dinner. Roger and Audley ignored Edward’s looks, which enraged the king even more. Suddenly, Edward reached out and placed his hand on Hugh Despenser’s. He stroked the man’s hand and then he leaned in. Edward’s lips touched Hugh’s cheek for an instant. Then Edward withdrew. He sat upright again. He looked at Audley and Roger triumphantly.

The peers fell silent and stared at the king. A cold shiver ran down Hugh Despenser’s spine. The damage was done. But Hugh Despenser had done no wrong. The king himself had failed spectacularly.

Hugh Despenser looked at the peers and noblemen. They did not look at the chamberlain. Their eyes were fixed on the king. One man only looked at Hugh. Sir Mortimer had straightened. He sat upright. And his face showed a mixture of surprise and satisfaction.

‘Now you don’t need me any longer, you devil and bastard,’ Hugh Despenser thought. ‘The king himself caused the affront. The king himself played in your hands.’

Edward leaned back and gazed into the room. It dawned on him slowly.

‘I must act quickly now,’ he thought with utter concern. ‘I must act tonight in order to prevent my downfall.’

Edward rose to his feet. The peers stood. They looked after him when he left the hall. Hugh Despenser, the chamberlain, followed the king. Sir Mortimer excused himself shortly afterwards and hurried to inform the queen.

Roger and Audley sat in a state of shock.

“There is nothing we can do now,” Audley whispered to Roger who sat next to him.

Roger shook his head.

“But I am certain Edward knows that he has to act quickly now,” Roger said in a stern voice.

The two men left together and retired to Audley’s room.

~~**~~


The queen rejoiced when she learned the news. She smiled at Sir Mortimer cheerfully.

“Finally, Mortimer,” the queen said with joy. “Leave it to the peers now. I am fairly sure that Sir Lancaster will be informed on the affront this very night.”

Sir Mortimer nodded. He moved to the window and straightened. He felt like a door had opened to him. He felt like he had found a treasure or maybe even the Promised Land.

Isabella joined Sir Mortimer by the window.

“We had been waiting for so long,” she said. “Now only one thing needs to be done. It needs to be done this very night.”

Sir Mortimer turned to her and gave her a questioning look.

“We must get rid of Hugh Despenser,” Isabella said coldly. “The man could unveil our plot. He must attend to the king now and cannot act at once. But he certainly comes to the right conclusion. He will be thinking on how to escape.”

Sir Mortimer’s face turned pale. Isabella leaned in to him. Her look was intense and her voice was like steel.

“Murder him, Mortimer, or you will never be king,” she said. “Hugh Despenser must not outlive the night.”

Sir Mortimer swallowed. He nodded slowly.

“You are right, my lady,” he said in a stifled voice. “You are right. I will see to it. I will see to it at once.”

~~**~~


This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..