Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 14. Chapter 14



Audley waited for Roger’s return. Apparently, Roger had found a way to speak to the king.

”Why wait? Why not go again and try to speak to Despenser?” Audley mused.

Audley left the room. The corridors were empty. Audley moved on slowly. Suddenly, he heard footsteps hurrying along. Audley hid in the shadows. Hugh Despenser ran past him with a sword in his hand. The man’s eyes were dark with rage and excitement.

Audley pressed his body against the wall. He looked after Despenser until the man was out of sight. He listened to his footsteps until they had faded. Audley moved and retreated. He was frightened. What had Despenser done with the sword? Audley winced. Whom had he murdered?

Audley hurried back to his room. He closed the door and locked it. Audley leaned against the wooden door for a while.

‘Good Lord,’ he thought. ‘I must warn Roger. He might run into that devil Despenser.’

~~**~~


Sir Mortimer rose to his feet. He lit a candle. He touched his throat, yet found no serious harm done. Then he spotted the pouch on the floor. Sir Mortimer gnashed his teeth. He picked up the pouch and threw it against the wall.

“What an idiot I am,” he called out. “I should have reckoned with Despenser waiting here for me.”

Sir Mortimer kicked a wooden stool aside.

“It was Audley’s fault,” he scolded. “The man distracted me.”

Sir Mortimer straightened and compressed his lips.

“Do not deceive yourself, Mortimer,” he said aloud. “It was your fault only. You were too careless and underestimated your foe. You lost your leverage. The queen will freak out.”

Sir Mortimer gazed into the room with a frown on his face.

“She wanted me to kill Despenser. Why did I follow her command and tried to murder the man? It was not a good plan. What has become of you? Are you getting old, Mortimer?” he asked himself.

A distant voice in his head agreed. Sir Mortimer shook it off, however. He preferred to ignore the faint warning.

Sir Mortimer took off his doublet. He would talk to the queen the following day. Why disturb the woman’s dreams of power and greatness right now? Sir Mortimer yawned. He felt he was tired. The thought of speaking to the queen almost made him feel nauseous.

~~**~~


Audley made up his mind. The look on his face was determined. He opened the door and instantly jumped at the sight of a man who reached out his hand to the door. Roger looked at Audley confused. Audley made a step back. Roger entered the room and closed the door.

“What happened?” Roger asked feeling startled.

Audley’s face was pale. Roger looked at him. Audley appeared to be utterly frightened. Then Audley recounted the story. Audley and Roger speculated.

“I can only imagine Despenser threatened Sir Mortimer,” Roger said. “Despenser’s life was at stake. Or his fate was, at least, if Sir Mortimer had something on him.”

Audley nodded.

“If Sir Duffy had not managed to arrange a compromise, the peers would have revolted against their king. Then Sir Mortimer would not have needed Hugh Despenser and his service any longer.”

Audley gave another nod.

“Perhaps Hugh Despenser seized the day, or rather he seized the night, and threatened Sir Mortimer with his sword,” he said.

They looked at each other, their eyes revealing their thoughts.

“Do you think he killed Sir Mortimer?” Roger asked finally.

“He looked like a terminator when he passed me by. Yes, I could imagine he killed him,” Audley said in a serious voice.

“We will find out about it tomorrow,” Roger said in a toneless voice. “I do not want to leave the room again tonight.”

“Neither do I,” Audley said firmly.

He paused for a moment before he continued.

“I saw Sir Duffy and the peers in the hall. I listened to them. Yes, Sir Duffy calmed the peers down. Sir Mortimer witnessed the meeting also,” he said.

“Then Sir Mortimer knows he has not won the battle,” Roger replied. “In case he is still alive,” he added.

Silence fell. Roger watched Audley. Audley looked at the wall pensively. Finally, Audley turned his eyes back to Roger.

“How is Edward doing?” Audley asked.

“He is distressed and shaken,” Roger replied. “I managed to speak to him. The incident shook him deeply. Edward is broken.”

Audley looked up.

“And so is the king’s power?” he asked.

“I left when Sir Duffy came to inform Edward. The king’s power has diminished. But I think King Edward will seek to re-establish it,” Roger replied.

“Sir Mortimer and the queen will never stop trying to diminish his power,” Audley said sadly.

Roger shrugged.

“After all, Edward is the king, the sovereign, the regent, the ruler,” he said.

Audley gave Roger a small smile.

“You still trust that the king will stand up. Or do you just not give up hope that he will?” he asked.

“I am the loyal servant of my king,” Roger said. “Despite what he has done to me.”

“Will you forgive him?” Audley asked. “I mean, will you forgive the man who treated you badly?”

Roger mused, and then looked at Audley.

“I must. Else my life would be bitter,” he said.

They fell silent for a while.

“Life is not a merry-go-round,” Audley said wisely.

Roger nodded.

“Maybe it is just play. Perhaps the world is just a stage and all the men and women are merely players,” he said.

Audley looked at Roger with surprise.

“You are a philosopher, Roger?” he asked curiously.

Roger shook his head.

“No, I am not,” he said. “Those are the words that Edward said to me a long time ago when we had just met.”

“The king’s words then,” Audley said pensively.

“The man’s words,” Roger responded. “The words of a man who is not the fool that many think he is.”

~~**~~


Isabella had finally drifted to sleep. She woke up the following morning, refreshed and filled with excitement and joy. The queen was looking forward to the day. She dressed elegantly. She intended to join the peers for breakfast. Isabella was curious to hear the news. And she was eager to see the wretched king. Isabella took a deep breath and straightened. A knock at the door distracted her.

Sir Mortimer stepped in. He looked like a ghost. Isabella was puzzled. She gazed at him. Sir Mortimer told her the news. Isabella’s hands trembled and her lips shivered. Her face flushed. Isabella grimaced and waved her hands. The queen flew into a terrible rage.

Sir Mortimer retreated. The queen cast him dark looks. She was filled with despise and hatred.

Isabella pointed a finger at him.

“It is your fault only, Sir Mortimer,” she called out. The queen almost shrieked.

“Your fault only,” Isabella called out again.

She approached Sir Mortimer who backed out until he had reached the door. The queen’s chest heaved heavily. She scowled at Sir Mortimer. She shot angry looks at the man. Sir Mortimer opened his mouth in an attempt to speak to the queen. But Isabella interrupted him with a gesture of his hand. She flung her long dark hair back. Her cheeks were flushed.

‘This woman has gone insane,’ Sir Mortimer thought.

Sir Mortimer watched the scene in a state of shock. He watched the scene that was unfolding in front of his eyes. Sir Mortimer was worried. His worries turned into utter concern. His heart jumped faster. He felt the urge to escape.

The queen paced the room. She was still scolding. She stopped when she spotted Sir Mortimer by the door. Isabella scowled at him. And she almost growled. She approached Sir Mortimer slowly. Sir Mortimer gazed at her for a second. And then Sir Mortimer bowed quickly and left the room.

Sir Mortimer hurried down the corridor. He was afraid. He was scared and frightened. His life was at stake. His fate, at least. The earth shook under Sir Mortimer’s feet. His world tumbled down and with it his future, his goals, and his beliefs. Sir Mortimer had not yet reached the hall, when he had thrown over all the determined and purposeful plans that he had worked on for so many years.

Sir Mortimer entered the hall. The king and the peers had already gathered. Sir Mortimer stepped forward. He placed his hand on his chest. And then he bowed deeply to Edward II, King of England.

“Long live the King,” Sir Mortimer said gravely.

~~**~~


Hugh Despenser gave a brief and scornful laugh at the sight of Sir Mortimer bowing to Edward. Edward just looked at Sir Mortimer. The king showed no emotions. He just looked at the traitorous man. The peers also watched Sir Mortimer. A few of them grimaced whereas others smirked mockingly.

Edward made a sign with his hand. The king sat down. The peers followed his example. Edward was about to speak up when Isabella suddenly rushed into the room. The queen’s hair hung loose. Her cheeks were flushed. The peers looked at her with surprise. Then they moved their chairs and rose to their feet in order to stand in front of their queen.

Edward remained motionless. He watched his spouse. Edward’s eyes were cold. Sir Mortimer winced slightly at the sight of the queen. Sir Mortimer was sure that now the inevitable would happen. The course of history would change.

Isabella raised her hand. She pointed at Hugh Despenser. Everybody turned his eyes to the man. The royal chamberlain stiffened. He gazed at the queen in fearful anticipation.

“Hugh Despenser,” Isabella called out. “You are the illegitimate son of a whore.”

Everybody stopped breathing. The peers looked at Hugh Despenser in a state of shock. The queen stood motionless, still pointing at the chamberlain. Edward glanced at Hugh Despenser, and then he looked back at the enraged queen. Hugh’s chest heaved heavily. Edward made a sign to Despenser.

“Speak, Sir Despenser,” the king said gravely.

“The queen lies,” Hugh Despenser said in a loud and distinct voice. He looked at the queen coldly.

Everybody turned their eyes back to the queen. The peers gazed at her in shock. Sir Mortimer forced himself to sit upright. He felt the earth shake under his feat.

“A flagrant statement, my lady,” Edward said in a measured voice. “Do you have proof of it?”

Isabella gave a triumphant laugh. She pointed at Sir Mortimer.

“Sir Mortimer has proof of it,” she said loudly.

The peers turned their eyes to Sir Mortimer. Hugh Despenser narrowed his eyes. Edward studied Sir Mortimer’s face. He thought of the deep bow that the man had given to him.

“Sir Mortimer,” Edward said.

Sir Mortimer glanced up and down the table nervously. He had a lump in his throat. He looked back at the king and met his cold look. Sir Mortimer cleared his throat.

“I am afraid, my lady, I have no such proof,” Sir Mortimer said in a measured voice.

Hugh Despenser grinned inwardly. After all, the man did not tell a lie.

“It is the first time I hear this statement,” Sir Mortimer continued.

He cleared his throat in an attempt to hide his indignation.

‘Hypocrite,’ Hugh Despenser thought. He watched Sir Mortimer with compressed lips.

Isabella gazed at Sir Mortimer in disbelief. She made a step forward. She was still pointing at him.

“Does anybody else of the peers and noblemen claim to speak up?” Edward asked in a stern voice.

Most of the men lowered their eyes. Sir Mortimer also gazed at the table. The king’s confidants looked at their king. Only two or three men glanced at the queen furtively. An awful silence fell. The men scarcely dared to breathe.

It slowly dawned on Isabella that she had carried it too far. She turned to Edward. Her hand was still reached out. She lowered her arm slowly. Edward’s cold eyes rested on her face.

Finally, Edward spoke up.

“Sit down, sirs,” he commanded.

The noblemen and peers sat down, thus showing their disrespect for the queen. Isabella felt numb.

“This is what we have decided,” Edward said, his voice the voice of a king.

“The queen shall retire to her chambers instantly. Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick shall see her there. The queen shall wait in her chambers for Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick who will come to see her tomorrow morning. Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick shall accompany the queen to St. Mary’s Augustinian Abbey in Rocester where she shall live a secluded life.”

Edward made a sign with his hand. Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick approached the queen. Isabella looked wildly between them. She made a step back. Her mouth opened and her eyes widened. Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick stopped right and left of her.

“Nooo,” Isabella cried out in fear and despair.

Sir Duffy placed his hand on the queen’s right arm. Sir Roderick put his hand on her left arm. Isabella was about to collapse. Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick urged her to turn around and move on. They led the queen out of the hall.

Sir Mortimer watched the scene from under his lashes. He felt shattered. His life was shattered. He awaited his trial as well. The king’s confidants still looked at their king. The others still looked at the table. Slowly, though, the man dared to look up. Hugh Despenser gazed at the opposite wall. His face was pale and his lips were compressed.

Edward rose to his feet. The men stood quickly.

“We decided to summon a gathering,” King Edward said. “The king’s counsellors shall come to the king’s private parlour at once.”

King Edward left the hall. The man gazed after him.

Hugh Despenser moved slowly. He was the royal chamberlain. He had to attend to the king. Despenser left the hall. And so did the king’s confidants and his loyal men.

~~**~~


The king and his counsellors had assembled in the king’s parlour. It was afternoon meanwhile. The consultations still lasted. Now and then a counsellor left the room and hurried down the corridors with a grim face. The man disappeared into a room, spoke to one of the peers in private and then hurried back to the king’s parlour.

King Edward’s minions were tensed. Roger and Audley had retired to Audley’s room. Every once and a while they sneaked about in the castle to find out what was going on. Sir Mortimer also went to the hall every hour or two. But only few men had gathered there. They did not speak to each other. They were sitting at the table, waiting quietly for the outcome of the consultations. Sir Mortimer retired to his room. For an instant, he had considered leaving the castle secretly. He had refrained from it for this had only proven his compliancy. Sir Mortimer, nonetheless, awaited his trial.

Hugh Despenser attended to the king and the counsellors. He heard the major part of the consultations. The chamberlain, however, had sworn to not reveal a single word that he heard. The peers had asked Despenser to comment in more detail on the queen’s accusation. But Edward, wisely, had stopped them from interrogating the chamberlain. Hugh Despenser, however, was aware that the king would question him later.

At about eight in the evening, King Edward went to the hall again. The peers assembled in fearful anticipation. King Edward announced his decisions. Executive, legislative and judicial functions were concentrated on the king. King Edward appointed and promoted various men. He deposed others from their position and duty. Sir Mortimer was amongst the latter. He was sent as a diplomatic negotiator to Ireland. Edward announced his decision without even looking at Sir Mortimer. He did not even take a breath before uttering his next sentence and addressing another man.

Sir Mortimer stood motionless. His face had turned pale. He gazed at the opposite wall. His mind was blank. He was not able to think. And yet, he was not entirely shocked. His fate could have been worse. Secretly, he had awaited his execution.

King Edward ended the meeting. He rose to his feet and then looked at the peers and noblemen.

“The battle is lost. Long live England,” he said in a forceful voice, looking from one to the other.

The peers and noblemen stood quickly when their king rose to his feet. For an instant they just gazed at the king. Then the men straightened and they responded.

“Long live the King,” they responded loudly and like one voice.

Edward left the hall and retired to his parlour. His confidants followed him. The peers and noblemen left the hall. Small groups headed for private rooms to talk over the outcome in secret. While some of the men felt the need to settle their thoughts, others already made schemes and planned their future manoeuvres.

It was about midnight when the counsellors left. Edward slumped in his chair. He was dead tired. Hugh Despenser moved silently. He did not dare to disturb King Edward.

~~**~~

Edward wiped his face. He sat silently for another while. Then he spoke up without looking at Despenser.

“Let me know the truth now,” he said. “Comment on the queen’s accusation.”

Edward turned his head. His eyes rested on the chamberlain. The man stood in the room without moving. Edward measured him. Hugh Despenser swallowed.

Edward raised his hand almost casually.

“You do not respond. So be it. I will not punish you for that. I see through you, though. You are in a predicament. You can either lie to your king or you can tell him the truth which could very well mean disgrace,” Edward said.

He measured Despenser again. Hugh stood motionless and gazed at the king. Edward gave him a small smile. He waved his hand.

“So be it. I am occupied with far more important matters and concerns. I must not worry about my chamberlain,” he said.

Hugh Despenser relaxed.

“Is there anything else you want me to do, my lord?” Hugh asked in an informal voice.

Edward shook his head.

“I will rest now. Wake me at dawn,” he said. “The consultations are not yet finished. The counsellors will assemble again after breakfast.”

Hugh Despenser nodded. Edward rose to his feet and crossed the room. Hugh Despenser opened the door of the parlour. Edward walked down the corridor. Hugh opened the door to Edward’s bedroom. Edward entered. He turned back to his chamberlain in the doorway.

“I believe the queen spoke the truth and Sir Mortimer had the proof of it. For some reason, Sir Mortimer refused to speak in favour of the queen. I can only imagine the leverage was lost,” Edward said.

Edward looked Despenser straight in the eyes. Hugh Despenser looked back. He did not lower his eyes.

“What was it? A document?” Edward asked.

“A letter my grandfather sent to my father,” Hugh said in a sober voice.

Edward gave him a small smile.

“The addressee was not a Despenser, right?” Edward asked.

“You are right, my king,” Hugh said, still looking at the king.

Edward smiled again at the chamberlain.

“Did you already know of it when you were promoted chamberlain?” Edward asked.

“I learned of it only a short time ago,” Hugh replied.

Edward nodded in understanding.

“Now that the matter is cleared and settled...do you still feel the need to attend to your king?” he asked.

“I am the royal chamberlain,” Hugh said in a measured voice.

Edward nodded again.

“I do not need the royal chamberlain’s service tonight,” Edward said.

Hugh bowed slightly. Edward smiled again and made a sign with his hand. He turned away and moved into the room. The royal chamberlain closed the door. Hugh Despenser stood in the corridor and gazed down the hallway absent-mindedly. Finally, he moved down the corridor.

Edward had clarified his position. But he had not sent him away. Hugh was still the royal chamberlain. Hugh Despenser was thinking while he went to his own room. There was still a chance that the king had not discarded him.

~~**~~




This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..