Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 15. Chapter 15





Edward II, King of England, stood by the window. He was alone in his room. The grand parlour was furnished and decorated splendidly. King Edward wiped his forehead. His chest heaved heavily. He was haunted by his memories.

Edward took a deep breath. He had lost a battle. He had lost his own people. The peers had turned away from him. Edward took another deep breath. He closed his eyes and bit his lip. Edward shook his head violently.

“I re-established my power,” he said aloud.

Edward paced the room.

“I am not deceiving myself,” he said. “Yes, the peers and noblemen despise me. But it is not only because of the battle I lost. No, I know all too well why they despise and why they hate their sovereign. They hate me because of my malady.”

Edward turned abruptly and hurried back to the window. He looked into the night. He thought of Piers Gaveston. Piers Gaveston and Edward had been friends, best friends, and innocent friends. Until that day that Edward would never forget.

Edward closed his eyes. Spring had come. The sun was out. It was a warm day. Gaveston had come to his room.

“What was his age then?” Edward mused. “Yes, he was seventeen. And so was I. Everything changed that day. Had you not come to my room, my beloved, your fate would have been a different one. My fate would have been a different one also. You would still be alive. And I would be a happy man. We would still be friends.”

Edward stopped breathing. He remembered the day. He remembered Piers happy smile when he had opened the door and had entered Edward’s chamber. Edward had returned the smile. He had felt a warm shiver running through his body. Something had changed. Edward had not been able to explain what had made the difference then. Meanwhile he knew. He was so well aware of it.

“Had you not entered my room that unfortunate day, my dear and beloved Gaveston,” Edward said under his breath.

He waited for the voice to return. Piers Gaveston had never ceased to be. Gaveston or what had remained of the unfortunate man had followed Edward wherever he had moved. Edward listened anxiously. But Piers Gaveston’s voice did not return.

King Edward straightened.

“I re-established my power. I am the King of England. The peers and noblemen turned back to me. From now on, this shall never cease to be.”

Edward’s thoughts drifted off. The queen came to his mind. He bit his lip and his look was stern. Isabella, the French sovereign’s sister and Edward’s spouse. Isabella, who just couldn’t cope with the facts. Isabella, who insisted on loving her husband and king.

“Why could you not just behave like any other empress and queen does?” Edward said angrily. “It’s all about politics. It’s not about husband and wife. Why did you not understand and accept it?”

Edward turned back to the window.

“She haunted me.” Edward almost spitted the words. “I could not kill nor ban her for the sake of the county. England is not strong enough to resist the French greatness and power. Isabella was just a pledge. Why had she not been able to accept her fate?”

Edward straightened. He raised his eyes and looked into the room. Things had changed. Edward II, King of England, the sovereign, was back. Edward crossed the room majestically. He undressed and went to bed. Edward soon drifted to sleep. His sleep was peaceful.

~~**~~


Isabella stood by the window. She stood upright and gazed outside. Her look was cold and her lips were compressed.

“What miserable fate I have to face. It is not worth a queen,” she said.

Her lips shivered slightly.

“What ugly fate I have to face,” she said again.

The queen tried to speak in a measured voice. But her voice was fragile and almost breaking.

Tears came to Isabella’s eyes. Her rage was gone. She had carried it too far. The king had won.

Isabella turned abruptly. She was alone in the room. Sir Duffy and Sir Roderick had left her alone. They had locked the room. Isabella shuddered slightly.

“Why was I not able to endure my fate? We took Piers Gaveston’s life. But the king has not touched me then. He turned to another man,” she said to herself.

“What was it I was looking for?” she asked. “Did I seek the love of my minions, the English people? Did I seek the king’s love? Or did I seek the love of a man?”

Isabella closed her eyes for a moment.

“I feel humiliated by him,” she said resignedly.

Isabella shrugged.

“Why did I not try to overcome this weakness of mine?” she asked, feeling despaired.

Isabella’s shoulders slumped. Her look was empty.

“I could have gained greatness. I could have become greater than Edward II, King of England, and even greater than my brother, the French sovereign and king.”

Isabella looked into the room for a while. Then she looked out of the window again. Isabella gave a small laugh.

“I was deceiving myself. I was blinded by arrogance and self-conceit. And I trusted the wrong man. Sir Mortimer was not a good counsellor.”

Isabella sat down in a chair. She folded her hands. They would take her to Mary’s Augustinian Abbey in Rocester the following day. Isabella decided to not go to sleep. She would spend the night awake. It was her last night as a queen.

~~**~~


Sir Mortimer had retired to his room. Sir Mortimer packed his things. Sir Mortimer was certain he would receive order to leave the castle the following morning. Sir Mortimer gazed at the opposite wall. His mind was blank. He was not able to think. And yet, he was not entirely shocked. His fate could have been worse. Secretly, he had awaited his execution. Compared to it, Ireland sounded great and his new function as an ambassador sounded almost appealing and indeed quite promising to him. Sir Mortimer suddenly looked forward to his future. He did not give a single thought to the queen.

~~**~~


Roger d’Amory was not able to go to sleep. He was lying in his bed wide awake. Roger looked into the dark of the room. He thought of the king. Roger had seen a glamorous king. He had seen a grand and impressive man with majestic demeanour. This evening, Roger had seen a true king. Roger had seen Edward II, King of England.

Roger finally drifted to sleep. He dreamed he opened the door to a chamber. He stepped in with a happy smile. His eyes met King Edward’s eyes. Roger felt warm and comfortable. A cosy feeling was running through his body. Then they stepped out on the green. The sun was out. It was a warm day. Suddenly, Roger heard a bird cry. Roger looked up. A white dove crossed the sky. Roger turned his eyes back to Edward. King Edward reached out his hand to him.

Roger awoke with a start. He gazed into the room. A faint light illuminated his chamber. Dawn was near.

~~**~~


King Edward awoke. He turned his eyes to the window. Dawn was breaking.

Edward rose to his feet stiffly. He dressed, not waiting for the servants to help him. Edward walked to the window and looked outside. He looked at the green. Edward smiled. Something had definitely changed.

King Edward opened the door and entered the hallway. He descended the stairs. He walked down the corridor. Everybody fell silent at his sight instantly. The peers gazed at him. Edward made a gesture with his hand. Everybody stepped out of his way. Edward sensed the floor under his feet. He smelled the scents in the air. Edward felt a slight breeze on his skin. He turned and spotted the door that led out on the green. Edward stepped outside. His servants surrounded him. He made a gesture with his hand. The men retreated.

“Something has definitely changed,” King Edward said. He enjoyed the new feeling.

Edward walked down the small path that led to the bathhouse. He heard a bird cry and looked at the sky.

“Just a dove,” a voice said.

Edward turned his head. He spotted Roger d’Amory. Roger made a small bow to the king. Edward smiled at Roger.

“The dove did not die,” Edward said gravely.

Roger smiled faintly and then gave Edward a nod. Edward reached out his hand to him.

“Come,” Edward said, “Let’s go for a walk on the green. The sun is not yet out. But it could be beautiful day.”

Roger looked at the king for an instant. He felt warm and his heart was filled with relief. Roger nodded at Edward. They moved down the path together.

“The dove cried, but it did not fall dead to the ground. You were mistaken, Roger,” Edward said.

“Yes, my lord, I was mistaken,” Roger replied seriously.

They walked on silently.

“Do you love your king?” Edward asked.

“I certainly do, my lord,” Roger said seriously.

“Could you love the man?” Edward asked.

“I would like to,” Roger answered quietly.

They stopped walking. Edward reached out and touched Roger’s chin.

“Your fate could be worse than Gaveston’s was,” Edward said seriously.

“I do not care,” Roger said in a calm and grave voice.

“You do not care now. You might very well care later,” Edward said.

“Who knows,” Roger said. “We cannot really anticipate our fate, can we?”

“I stepped carelessly then. I could step more carefully now,” Edward said. “I lost a battle and I lost my favourite man. I do not want to lose him again.”

They looked at each other.

“Until you have lost your reputation, you never realise what a burden it was or what freedom really is. This is what I have discovered,” Edward said. “I feel free to move wherever I want to and in company of whoever favourite companion I choose.”

They exchanged a long look. Roger nodded.

“I saw my king at the announcement yesterday. But I also have come to know and love the man. I cannot forget about that look in your eyes when I first met you, Edward,” Roger said.

Edward smiled. He reached out his hand and pointed at the castle.

“Let’s go back, Roger. I left the castle as a man without love. I will enter it as a man in love,” he said.

Roger smiled. They turned around and walked back the path.

“I want you by my side, Roger,” Edward said.

They looked at each other.

“Always,” Roger replied seriously.

They returned to the castle. Edward ascended the stairs and entered his private parlour. Roger went back to his room.

~~**~~


Sir Mortimer received order to leave for Ireland right after breakfast. Sir Mortimer was prepared. He left instantly. He did not stay to witness the queen’s departure.

The queen was led away at noon. Her carriage was escorted by Sir Duffy, Sir Roderick, and six guards. The peers, the noblemen, and the servants watched the queen’s departure furtively from the windows of the castle. King Edward’s minions sneaked about in the castle. They did not dare to assemble and gossip. A threatening silence still lasted over the house.

Two of Edward’s confidants left the castle the same day. They were headed for France to inform Isabella’s brother, the French sovereign, on the queen’s fate. The two men were under instructions to immediately enter into negotiations with the French sovereign. The negotiators were highly reputable peers, experienced and versed in diplomatic negotiations.

The peers, noblemen and servants relaxed. The king and his counsellors had gathered again. But things slowly went back to normal.

~~**~~


Edward sat down in his chair upright and with a majestic demeanour. He looked into the room majestically. Edward was thinking.

The door opened and Hugh Despenser stepped in. He was feeling slightly nervous, to his own surprise. He controlled his anxiety, however, and entered the room calmly. Hugh Despenser made a few steps towards the king. Hugh Despenser stood upright. He looked proud and self-confident.

“I am at your service, your majesty, my lord,” he said gravely.

Edward had a queasy feeling. His mind was working. The name Despenser rang a bell. Edward watched Hugh Despenser warily.

Hugh Despenser flashed the king a smile. Edward gazed at his chamberlain. The man’s boldness bewildered the king. Hugh Despenser smiled inwardly at the king’s bewilderment. Hugh was an experienced man. He was able to read the signs of attraction. Hugh watched Edward attentively. Something had changed about him. Hugh Despenser was suddenly feeling insecure.

Edward made a faint gesture with his hand.

“Sir Hugh Despenser, I wrote a few letters. Would you please copy them,” Edward said calmly.

Edward rose to his feet and crossed the room. Edward left the parlour and retired to his private chamber. He sat down in a chair and gazed into the room. The name Despenser rang a bell. Edward straightened. He had found the connections.

~~**~~


Hugh looked after the king until the door had closed. A puzzled look appeared on his face. He was an experienced man and he was able to read the signs of attraction. Something had changed about the king.

Hugh Despenser was self-confident and ambitious. He liked to be the centre of interest and, in a sense, he was sure the world revolved around him. A thought occurred to him suddenly. Had Edward turned his heart to another man? The name Roger d’Amory crossed Hugh’s mind. A shiver ran down Hugh’s spine. Hugh rose to his feet with a frown on his face. His senses were keen. He sensed the truth. The name d’Amory rang a bell. Hugh bit his lip. He straightened.

“Roger d’Amory must not win,” Hugh Despenser said grimly.

Hugh Despenser left the king’s parlour.

~~**~~


Hugh Audley went down a corridor. Hugh Despenser passed him and cast him a furious look. Audley turned and looked after Hugh. Hugh Despenser walked down the hallway in a hurry. Audley found the royal chamberlain had looked like a terminator again. Audley shuddered. He remembered the nightly incident. Audley hurried to talk to Roger.

Audley spoke to Roger, and then he left. Roger dwelled on his thoughts. He closed his eyes for a moment and instantly saw the face of Hugh Despenser. Roger swallowed. He bit his lip for an instant.

“This man does not hold back. He does not feel ashamed to come on to the king. Has he already enamoured Edward again? I need to act quickly.”

Roger headed for the door. He left the room and hurried down the hallway.

~~**~~


The two men ran into each other in the corridor that led to the grand hall. Hugh Despenser’s face flushed when he caught sight of Roger. He gazed furiously at the man. Roger stopped short when he caught sight of Despenser. His face turned pale. He stared at the royal chamberlain.

Hugh Despenser approached Roger slowly. He did not turn his eyes away from him. Hugh looked dangerous. He flashed furious looks. He walked upright. He approached his opponent.

Roger was not able to move. He was certain Hugh Despenser was up to murder him. He made a step back which only encouraged Despenser. Hugh fastened his steps as he approached the hated man.

The peers in the hall meanwhile had noticed what was going on in the hallway. They gathered in the corridor and watched the two men. They did not interfere, however. They had assembled to just witness the showdown.

Hugh Despenser raised his arm. He pointed at Roger.

“You,” he called out. “Get out of my way. You must not steal the king’s heart.”

Roger swallowed. He felt scared and frightened. But he did not move. He did not turn away his eyes from his foe.

The peers looked from one to the other.

Hugh Despenser made another two steps. He stopped in front of Roger.

“You,” he called out. “You are a weakling and wimp. You are a seducer and traitor.”

Hugh shot furious looks at Roger. His senses were keen. Hugh sensed that Roger was frightened. Hugh triumphed. A wave of adrenaline ran through his body. Hugh started to grin. He sneered at Roger.

“You,” he said in a lower voice, his voice filled with scorn and despise. “You are a miserable coward.”

Roger straightened in defence.

The peers held their breath. They watched with breathless attention. The air was thick, the atmosphere dense.

“You are arrogant and self-conceited. You act selfishly and not in favour of your king,” Roger said.

His voice was cold. He narrowed his eyes. Roger’s muscles tensed as he watched Hugh Despenser.

Hugh Despenser grimaced. He gave a laugh.

“Hypocrite,” he hissed. “You ran to Mortimer when you felt you were at a loss. You changed sides quickly. How can you think you are loyal to the king?”

Hugh grinned triumphantly. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. He looked his opponent up and down. How weak a man d’Amory was. How he despised this man.

Roger’s cheeks flushed. He gnashed his teeth. Hugh’s words had enraged him.

“How can you dare to accuse me of betrayal?” Roger said coldly. His voice had a threatening undertone. “You played into Sir Mortimer hands. It is a matter of fact and it is obvious to everybody.”

“You are a liar,” Hugh spit the words. “I was loyal to the king. The queen tried to remove me with an infamous lie. Don’t you see the outcome? The queen is banned. Not I am banned. I am still the king’s favourite man.”

Hugh grimaced again. He shot Roger a threatening look.

The peers watched the two men with widened eyes.

“No, you are not,” Roger spit the words also.

His face was now red with rage and fury. He made a step towards Hugh Despenser.

“You are not, arrogant bastard,” Roger shouted in Despenser’s face.

The word ‘bastard’ made Hugh freak out eventually. He raised his arm and knocked Roger in the face. Roger tumbled backwards. Hugh Despenser followed him.

A muffled cry had escaped the peers’ mouths. They watched the showdown with excitement.

Roger touched his face briefly. Blood covered his hand. His nose had started to bleed.

Hugh watched Roger. Hugh was feeling pleased.

Roger straightened. The blow had humiliated him. Adrenaline suddenly flushed Roger’s body. He was no longer scared by the fiery man. Roger was determined to defend his honour. And he was determined to defend his position as the king’s favourite man. Roger knocked back with full force.

Hugh Despenser made a step back. He had not expected the blow. He kind of gazed at Roger with surprise. What had happened to the weak man?

Roger looked at Hugh Despenser grimly. His hand was still clenched. He raised his fist again.

Hugh tasted blood. He touched his lips and looked at his fingers. The sight of the blood fuelled his rage again. Hugh fixed his eyes on Roger. He stared at him in cold blood. And then, with a loud yell, Hugh Despenser threw himself at the man. Hugh Despenser was out of his senses.

The peers pressed their bodies against the walls. They were excited. They liked the thrill of the chase.

Roger d’Amory fell to the floor. Hugh Despenser threw himself at him. He pressed Roger’s body against the floor. He straddled him and placed his hands around Roger’s neck.

Roger flailed his arms in order to free himself. Roger spit his foe in the face.

Hugh Despenser removed one hand from Roger’s neck and knocked Roger hard in the face.

Roger spit again. He struggled and finally freed his hand. He punched back violently.

Hugh Despenser yelled. His nose started to bleed. His was distracted for an instant.

Roger took the opportunity and punched in Hugh’s back. The forceful blow hit hard Hugh’s kidney.

Hugh yelled again. He shifted his weight.

Roger struggled and pushed Hugh’s body back forcefully. He managed to free his legs and he rolled on his side quickly.

Hugh was on his hands and knees. He crouched quickly in order to throw himself at Roger again.

Roger turned on his back and drew up one knee.

Hugh jumped at Roger.

Roger kicked him in the balls forcefully.

Hugh yelled like a maniac.

Roger lay on his back. He lifted his head and watched Hugh tossing about on the floor.

The peers uttered words of acknowledgement and excitement.

Suddenly, however, the peers fell silent. They retreated into the hall quickly.

King Edward II stood in the corridor and looked from Hugh to Roger.

Hugh saw the king. He stopped tossing about. He lay still, but he whimpered. Roger, still lying on his back, gazed at the king. He did not move either.

“Get up from the floor, sirs, and retire to your chambers,” King Edward said in a measured voice.

He walked on slowly and with royal demeanour. King Edward II entered the hall. The door was closed behind him.

Roger got to his feet and hurried down the corridor. Hugh rose to his feet stiffly and limped down the hallway.

The two men retired to their chambers. They nervously waited for Edward’s command.

~~**~~


Edward made a quick decision. He deposed Hugh Despenser from his duties and gave him order to leave the castle at once. Edward smiled at the image of Hugh tossing about on the floor. Hugh Despenser’s career had ended with a whimper.

Edward summoned Roger to go for a walk with him. They left the castle and walked down the path to the bathhouse.

“His name rang a bell,” Edward said. “I found out Hugh Despenser was the son and heir of Hugh le Despenser, Earl of Winchester, and Isabella de Beauchamp, daughter of William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick. Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, was one of the men who made sure Piers Gaveston was executed. Hugh Despenser is related to him,” Edward said. “Of course, this would not have disqualified Hugh. It is not his fault that he is related to a man who I hate and despise with all my heart,” Edward continued.

They looked at each other.

“He has traits I do admire. He is self-confident and strong. But he is also arrogant and conceited. Hugh Despenser is selfish. And he is ruthless. He is a lot like Sir Mortimer. Not my favourite man,” Edward said.

“Playing favourites is a dangerous play,” Roger said, smiling at Edward.

Edward placed his hand on Roger’s shoulder.

“But you do enjoy it anyway, don’t you, Roger?” he asked.

Roger gave a laugh.

“In fact, I do enjoy it. But sometimes it scares the hell out of me,” he said.

Edward joined in his laughter.

“I almost laughed aloud, Roger, when I saw you and Hugh lying on the floor. I was almost sad that I had not witnessed the fight. The peers told me of it. They were thrilled with excitement. And I must admit it made me proud to hear that two men fought violently for the king’s heart,” Edward said.

Roger smirked.

“I brought him down, that arrogant bastard,” Roger said excitedly.

His cheeks flushed and he shot Edward fiery looks. Edward studied Roger’s face with surprise. He gave a laugh.

“I knew you were a smart and clever man,” Edward said. “But now I see you are a passionate man also. I ought to convey my thanks to Hugh Despenser. The arrogant bastard brought you out of your shell.”

Roger joined in the laughter. Edward clapped him on the shoulder.

“Well done, Roger,” Edward said with a smile. “Let’s go back and devise a passionate plan.”

Roger gave a laugh. He smiled impishly.

THE END

~~**~~

Author’s note: This story is a work of fiction. The developments in this story deviate from what really happened in the year 1314 and the years that followed.

In reality, Queen Isabella and Sir Mortimer gained might and power. Mortimer and the queen controlled the game until their downfall in 1330.

Being Edward's favourite was a dangerous occupation. Hugh Audley was the only favourite of Edward II to survive the reign. He also enjoyed the trust of Edward III, who raised him to comital rank.

Roger d’Amory was King Edward’s favourite until he was displaced by Hugh the younger Despenser. Roger was captured on 11 March 1322. He was quickly tried and condemned to death. It appears, however, that his illness beat the executioner as he died there "of illness" two days later.

Hugh Despenser was brought to trial in 1326 before Mortimer and the Queen. Hugh Despenser was judged a traitor and a thief, and sentenced to public execution by hanging, as a thief, and drawing and quartering, as a traitor. Additionally, he was sentenced to be disembowelled for having procured discord between the King and Queen, and to be beheaded, for returning to England after having been banished. Mortimer and Isabella feasted with their chief supporters, as they watched the execution. The manner of Despenser's death was rich in symbolism. As Despenser was dragged to his place of execution, the crowd was able to jeer at him, proving that he had lost his power. Hanging was a shameful death, the punishment for a common thief. Castration showed to the crowd that he had ceased to be a man; his evil desires were thought to reside in his heart and entrails. His disembowelment and the burning of his innards showed that the land was being purged of evil. Finally, the quartering and beheading of his corpse was considered to jeopardise his chances of Salvation after death. The man once known as Sir Hugh Le Despenser, Lord of Glamorgan, was thus physically and spiritually obliterated.

King Edward II was captured and imprisoned in Monmouth Castle on 16 November 1326. He was forced to abdicate in favour of his son Edward who became King Edward III. The deposed Edward II was imprisoned in Berkeley Castle. King Edward II died on September 21, 1327. He suffered a terrible death. Edward was held down and a red-hot poker was pushed into his anus through a drenching-horn.

In 1330 the young Edward III seized power.

Sir Roger Mortimer was arrested in Nottingham Castle on 19 October 1330, in the hastily planned and executed seizure of power by Edward III. Mortimer was not permitted to speak in his own defence when he was taken before Parliament at Westminster. The outcome of the 'trial' was never in doubt. Roger was found guilty of all the crimes he was charged with. On 29 November 1330, Roger was taken from the Tower. He was forced to wear the black tunic he had worn to Edward II's funeral three years earlier, a pointed reference to his hypocrisy. He was dragged behind two horses to Tyburn, where he would be hanged. Sir Mortimer was allowed to speak a few words to the crowd. He admitted his role in the judicial murder of the Earl of Kent. But he did not mention Edward II or his mistress Queen Isabella.

Isabella was taken to Berkhamsted Castle shortly after the seizure of Mortimer. She was placed under house arrest. She was treated with respect and consideration, and her household remained with her. Isabella surrendered her vast estates into the hands of her son. Edward III granted her an income of £3000 a year. In 1337, Edward III gave Isabella permission to make her will, leaving her possessions to anyone she chose. Queen Isabella died on 22 August 1358, aged sixty-two or sixty-three.

~~**~~



This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was a delightful read. In a perfect world we would have you rewriting all of English history.

Link to comment
On 07/14/2014 04:21 AM, stanollie said:
This was a delightful read. In a perfect world we would have you rewriting all of English history.
Thank you! I'm happy you liked the story. In a perfect world the words would flow more easily and the worlds in my head would shape themselves on paper (or on the screen). :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..