Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 4. Chapter 4




The peers and servants looked after them when Edward and Roger entered the hall for lunch. Roger felt uncomfortable. He sensed the eyes of the peers and noblemen resting on his face. But Roger walked upright and avoided the curious eyes. It was obvious that rumours had spread quickly. Everybody seemed already to be informed on his meeting with the king in the king’s private chamber.

Edward walked majestically to the top of the table. A slight smile was playing on his lips. He made a gesture with his hand and pointed at the chair to his right on the long side of the table. Roger stood behind the chair and looked at the opposite wall.

Edward looked from one to the other. His smile broadened. He noticed that Isabella had not come to the hall.

“Sirs,” Edward said in a sober voice. “May I introduce to you Roger d’Amory, Baron of Armoy in Ireland. He came here with his Uncle Patrick d’Amory. I learned that his uncle departed this morning. Roger d’Amory, on the contrary, will stay at court and stay by my side.”

Edward smiled again. He looked from one man to the other. The peers and noblemen gazed at the king. One or two men cleared their throats. The others remained silent. They kept their faces blank and motionless and they kept gazing at Edward.

Finally, Edward lifted his arm.

“Welcome, Sirs. Enjoy your lunch,” he said.

Edward sat down slowly, however with grand demeanour. He leaned back in his chair and studied the table. Roger stood motionless. He still gazed at the opposite wall. The peers kept waiting. Edward turned his head slightly and looked at Roger.

“Roger d’Amory, please take a seat,” he said.

One of the noblemen coughed loudly. Edward gave him a piercing look. The man fell silent at once. Roger looked at Edward out of the corner of his eye. Edward gave him a faint and encouraging nod. Roger moved around the chair and sat down. He sat upright and motionless.

The peers remained standing. They kept gazing at Edward. The tension in the hall grew. Edward sighed slightly. He pointed at the table again.

“Enjoy your lunch, sirs,” he repeated in an almost bored voice.

The noblemen sat down. They ate in silence. Now and then, one of the peers cast a curious look at Edward or Roger. King Edward ate with appetite. Roger forced himself to finish the various meals that were served to him.

Finally, Edward had finished. He looked at Roger who had already put aside the silverware. Edward rose to his feet. The peers stopped eating and stood.

“Sirs,” Edward said. “Please forgive me for leaving before you have finished. I need to attend to some urgent matters now.”

The peers gazed at him in disbelief. Edward smiled at them mildly.

“Please follow me, Roger d’Amory,” Edward said. “I do need your assistance.”

One of the peers fell into a fit of coughing. The others murmured and whispered. Edward crossed the room slowly. Roger followed him. The peers and noblemen looked after them. As soon as Edward and Roger had left the hall, they started to whisper and tattle. One man rose to his feet stiffly. Sir Hugh Audley left the hall and retired to his room quickly.

“Poor man,” a nobleman said as soon as Hugh Audley was out of sight. “Yesterday he was the king’s favourite, today he is just a discarded man.”

The men nodded and exchanged mocking looks. They continued to whisper and tattle.

~~**~~


Edward walked down the corridor. Roger followed him close behind. The servants gazed at them curiously, yet they instantly lowered their eyes when Edward or Roger looked at them. Edward and Roger climbed the stairs and entered Edward’s parlour. Edward burst into laughter.

“Hypocrites,” he said laughing aloud. “I can see them huddling together in the hall and gossip and tattle.”

Edward sat down on a chaise longue. He smiled at Roger and pointed at a chair opposite. Roger sat down. Edward studied his face.

“This was your first time in the hall at the side of your king. You are not feeling comfortable, are you, Roger d’Amory?” Edward asked.

“No,” Roger said, shaking his head. “I had no idea those men were so sneaky and devious.”

“Now you know,” Edward said, leaning back against the rear of the chaise longue. “Do you think you can cope with it?” he asked curiously.

“I cannot say, my lord,” Roger admitted. “But I gave you my word.”

Edward nodded, and then he smiled.

“You will get used to it, Roger.”

He paused for an instant.

“I found it very interesting that the queen had not come to the hall. Neither did I spot Sir Mortimer,” Edward said.

Roger did not respond. Edward’s eyes rested on his face.

“You fear you will not be able to stand the pressure. But you will, Roger. Isabella and Sir Mortimer will not gossip with the noblemen and peers. They will not spread rumours. The queen and Sir Mortimer will not participate,” Edward said.

He bowed forward.

“They won’t participate directly. They will stir the fire, however, staying on the sideline. So they will not be accused of the plot because there is no evidence of them devising it or taking advantage of the unfortunate gossip. Sir Mortimer is an honourable man and Isabella, the queen, is a betrayed spouse. They’ll make a nice couple for a future queen and king,” Edward said drily.

He leaned back again, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

“Would you be able to stop them?” Roger asked.

Edward looked into the room for a while before turning back to Roger.

“Isabella and Sir Mortimer would not make such a fine couple, if the queen was a proven adulteress and Sir Mortimer was her seducer,” Edward said.

He leaned forward again, looking closely at Roger.

“My lovely spouse would not be any better than I am. But I am the king already, whereas she would be a whore claiming my throne,” he said.

A smile played on Edward’s lips. Roger opened his lips, yet he did not say a word. Edward looked at him. Roger’s face turned pale.

“Just a...” Roger started.

He fell silent. Edward measured him.

“I know what you just wanted to say,” Edward said seriously. “Yes, your reputation is doubtlessly ruined for being the king’s favourite. But you cannot reject the king, can you? And you do not claim to take my throne, do you? You are most content with being my favourite, aren’t you? A king must play favourites all the time, unfortunately,” Edward said.

Roger nodded faintly.

“I can see your plan,” he said finally.

Edward looked at him.

“We must make sure it works out. It won’t be difficult, however, I think,” Edward said.

Roger gave him a questioning look.

“Sir Mortimer wants to be king. This means he must marry the queen...” Edward paused for a moment. “He will marry her after my downfall and death. Sir Mortimer must make sure he will be the chosen one. He must work on gaining Isabella’s favour...as a confidant, as a lover and friend. We need not do anything, Roger. Sir Mortimer will eagerly work on this plan himself.”

Edward looked into the room for a while. Then he turned his eyes back to Roger.

“We just need to make sure they become more careless. So, let’s demonstrate our affection. Thus they will think that their plan will work out,” Edward said.

Edward and Roger looked at each other.

“You told me I was smart and clever. But you are way smarter and more clever than I am, my lord,” Roger said finally.

Edward gave a brief laugh.

“No, Roger d’Amory, I am not. Scheming, however, is the only talent you need to survive at court. Do not forget, Roger. I was born and raised to be a king. I am used to scheming and I’m versed at scheming plans,” Edward said.

~~**~~


Sir Mortimer was about to leave the queen’s parlour. He turned back to her in the doorway.

“The king stepped faster than I thought he would do, my lady,” Sir Mortimer said. “I am sure that everything will work out according to our plan.”

Isabella approached him with a smile.

“My husband is an imbecile,” she whispered to Sir Mortimer.

Sir Mortimer smiled back, and then, hesitantly, he reached out his hand and touched Isabella’s shoulder lightly. Isabella looked up and almost invisibly narrowed her eyes. Sir Mortimer drew back his hand instantly.

“Pardon me, my lady,” he said in a guilty voice. He lowered his eyes quickly.

Isabella gave a laugh.

“Sir Mortimer, don’t play a submissive servant. It doesn’t fit you well,” she said.

Sir Mortimer gave her another smile and then he left the room quickly. His smile disappeared as soon as he had closed the door behind him.

~~**~~


The queen crossed the room. She sat down in a chair and gazed at the carpet on the floor.

“Do not think I am an imbecile also, Sir Mortimer,” she said to herself in a low voice. “I know your motives very well and I also do know your intentions.”

Isabella stood again and moved to the window.

“I do not like what he has in mind. Unfortunately, I need his help. I cannot bring Edward down without him,” she said angrily.

Isabella looked out of the window with a frown.

“As soon as Edward is dead, you will fall down as well, Sir Mortimer, for there is one thing you have not yet seen through.”

Isabella smiled maliciously.

“I will be a loyal servant to the Sovereign of France. I won’t marry an English man. My husband will be a Frenchman,” she said in a cold voice.

Isabella curled her lips.

“Those Englishmen are all miserable imbeciles,” she said in disdain.

Isabella turned around and straightened. She narrowed her eyes and raised her chin.

“Vive le Roi de France!” she said aloud.

~~**~~


Sir Mortimer was sitting at the desk in his room. He sealed a letter that he had written. He leaned back in his chair and looked into the room.

“The queen is driven by vengeance. This is her weakness. I must control this weakness of hers,” he said to himself. “She is wayward and capricious. I can make her stumble and then I will extort her.”

Sir Mortimer smiled confidently. He rubbed his hands contentedly.

“I just need to make sure she sees her miserable husband and his lover again and again. But this should be easy enough, I think. Edward will demonstrate his affection. What an imbecile man, what an imbecile king.”

Sir Mortimer stood and put on his doublet.

“The queen will fling herself in my arms. Silly French goose,” he said to himself with a mocking grin.

Upright and self-assured, Sir Mortimer left his room and moved to the dining hall where the peers were still gossiping and tattling. A startled and dismayed look appeared on Sir Mortimer’s face when a nobleman told him of the new favourite that the king had chosen. Inwardly, however, Sir Mortimer smiled. He was utterly pleased to learn that things worked out just fine.

~~**~~


This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..