Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 5. Chapter 5




“Tell me about yourself, Roger,” Edward said, smiling at Roger.

“I am Sir Roger d’Amory, Baron of Armoy in Ireland. I am twenty-four years old. Armoy is a small village in Northern Ireland. You most likely have never heard of the place,” Roger said, returning the smile.

“I am afraid I have not,” Edward admitted. “Although I am fairly sure that I have heard the name Amory before.”

“You may have heard of my uncle, Patrick d’Amory. He came to England many years ago. He lived in London for a few years. He lives in the South of England now,” Roger said.

Edward mused.

“I may have heard of him,” he said, “Although I do not know anything about him. But your uncle took you here. He most likely did so because Sir Mortimer asked him to do so,” Edward said.

Roger leaned back. His face turned pale.

“You mean my uncle was into Sir Mortimer’s plan, my lord?” Roger asked.

Edward nodded.

“This is what I think, Roger d’Amory. You closely resemble Piers Gaveston. Sir Mortimer must have known this.”

Edward leaned back. Roger looked into the room. He was feeling startled.

“I came to England in order to fight in the Battle of Bannockburn. I did not face the fate of death like so many of my comrades did. I was invited to court in order to take part in the banquet. And, yes, my uncle received an invitation also, although he did not fight in the battle. He is an old man,” Roger said.

“You did not wonder as to why your uncle received an invitation?” Edward asked.

Roger shook his head pensively.

“No, I did not. I am not familiar in detail with the English etiquette. I am a nobleman, yes. But those peers sitting at the king’s table would consider my house a shack. They do not consider me a nobleman. They consider me an illiterate peasant, my king,” Roger said.

“They also considered Piers Gaveston a peasant, unworthy of my favour. They were mistaken, though,” Edward said seriously.

He leaned forward.

“Sir Mortimer arranged the meeting on the green. So he must have talked to your uncle before. When did they meet?” he asked.

“At the banquet probably,” Roger said thoughtfully.

He straightened.

“Sir Mortimer must have met my uncle at the banquet and he then must have spotted me and made up his devilish plan,” Roger said.

Edward’s eyes rested on Roger.

“You don’t believe in those words of yours yourself, do you?” Edward asked in a sober voice.

Roger flushed. He lowered his eyes for an instant. Then he looked back at Edward.

“No, I do not believe this. You are right, my lord. I was invited for one reason only,” he said.

Edward nodded thoughtfully.

“The Baron of Armoy in Ireland would not have received an invitation, Roger. Many men died in the battle. Many noblemen also. But those who survived are still many. We would have not been able to invite them all. Only those of the highest ranks have received an invitation. Did you look closely at the men at the banquet?” Edward asked.

Roger flushed again. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

“Yes, I did. Those men all looked like kings. My uncle and I looked like peasants dressed up for Christmas mass,” Roger said.

Roger swallowed. He felt humiliated.

Edward rose to his feet and approached Roger. He stood behind Roger’s chair and touched Roger’s shoulder softly. Roger tensed slightly.

“You look far more beautiful than all those men,” Edward said. “Their elegant clothes cannot hide their dark hearts and souls.”

Edward ran his hand down Roger’s upper arm. His hand rested on Roger’s arm for an instant. Then the king withdrew his hand. Edward went back to the chaise longue and sat down again.

“Sir Mortimer sent out men to find a nobleman resembling Piers Gaveston. His search was crowned with success,” Edward said.

Edward looked into the room pensively.

“They started devising their plan immediately after the battle. One of the men probably remembered your face and your name,” Edward said.

He crossed his arms in front of his chest. Roger felt flustered.

“So my uncle played into their hands,” he said finally.

Silence fell for a while. Then Roger straightened again.

“I believed he was a good man. He was kind. He welcomed me, and then he sold me to the man who plans to bring down the English king. My uncle shall go to hell,” Roger said in a bitter voice.

“I have no doubt he will and he will be in good company,” Edward said drily.

He looked Roger straight in the eyes.

“Forget about him,” he said. His voice sounded like a command.

Roger gazed at Edward for a moment. And then he nodded. His nod was a bow to his king.

“Your wish is my command, my king,” he said in a distinct and informal voice.

Edward raised his hand slightly. Roger was about to rise to his feet, retreat and leave the king alone. He was all in a fluster. Edward lowered his hand and rose to his feet. He approached Roger and stood behind Roger’s chair. Edward bowed and whispered into Roger’s ear. Roger looked straight ahead, and then he nodded. Edward gave a laugh. He touched Roger’s shoulder. This time, Roger relaxed.

~~**~~


Three days passed.

Isabella stood by the window, looking out on the green.

“There they are,” she said to Sir Mortimer who stood next to her.

“It feels like an act of deliberation,” Isabella said. “As if he meets the man deliberately under my window.”

Sir Mortimer smiled.

“My lady, you should consider yourself lucky. Thus you will witness his sinful behaviour. And so will the peers. No doubt will be left then,” Sir Mortimer said.

Isabella turned to Sir Mortimer. They exchanged a look.

“The peers gossip and tattle. The atmosphere is tensed. The peers feel humiliated. Edward ignores them. He is entirely absorbed in his new play. Sir Remington was enraged last night. He talked of shame and disgrace that should be erased quickly. Our plan works out well, my lady,” Sir Mortimer said.

He smiled playfully at Isabella. Isabella turned back to the window and took a deep breath.

“Look, he placed his hand on the man’s shoulder,” the queen said.

Sir Mortimer leaned forward and looked outside.

Edward and Roger were standing on the green. Edward stood in front of Roger, his hand placed on the man’s shoulder. A few servants and a few noblemen stood watching them from the distance.

“It is if they are acting on a stage,” Isabella said. “The spectators are watching them. We are watching them from the gallery. It seems to me as if Edward is enjoying this play. He probably expects the audience to cheer and applaud.” Isabella’s voice sounded bitter.

Sir Mortimer gave a laugh.

“Exceeded expectations, my lady. False expectations,” Sir Mortimer said.

Isabella turned to Sir Mortimer. She narrowed her eyes.

“Do you really think Edward is that stupid, Sir Mortimer? He must know that he is taking a risk when acting in public the way he does,” she said.

Sir Mortimer shrugged.

“We must not neglect this possibility. However, I rather think he wants to provoke you. Vengeance, my lady,” he said.

Isabella’s eyes widened. She nodded slowly.

“Yes, Sir Mortimer,” she said. “We killed Gaveston. Edward pays back. He wants me to fly into a rage.”

“Is he having success, my lady?” Sir Mortimer asked attentively.

Isabella flushed. She took another deep breath.

“He wants me to fly into a rage and make a fool of myself,” she said in a suppressed voice. “He wants me to act like a fool under the peers and noblemen’s eyes. Then he can get rid of me finally.”

Sir Mortimer nodded mildly.

“Yes, my lady, exactly,” he said softly. “He wants you to panic and act irrationally. It should be easy then to claim the queen has gone insane.”

Sir Mortimer paused, giving the queen a meaningful look. Isabella’s face turned pale. She wiped back a strand of her hair nervously. Sir Mortimer watched her, feeling utterly pleased.

‘Silly French goose,’ he thought in despise. However, he controlled his emotions. He gave the queen a pitiful look.

Isabella backed away.

“Sir Mortimer,” she almost called out. “You are wrong. I am not to be pitied. I have set myself a goal and I will achieve it.”

She compressed her lips and turned back to the window.

“I hate this man,” she hissed. “But he will not beat me. He will not. He cannot. He must not.”

Sir Mortimer did not respond. He smiled inwardly. He almost purred inwardly. His plan worked out well. Sir Mortimer reached out his hand and softly touched Isabella’s upper arm. The queen tensed slightly. She turned her eyes to Sir Mortimer. Sir Mortimer smiled. He did not withdraw his hand until Isabella gave him a faint smile. Then, Sir Mortimer made a step back and bowed to the queen.

“My lady, your loyal servant always,” he purred, placing his hand on his chest.

Sir Mortimer straightened and retreated. He backed out, still looking at the queen. He bowed again at the door, and then he left the room quickly. Sir Mortimer closed the door behind him.

Isabella gazed at the closed door. Her mind was blank. After a while, she turned back to the window and looked outside. She saw Edward and Roger. Edward was leaning in to Roger. He placed his fingers on the man’s cheek. Isabella made a step back and then drew the curtain shut forcefully.

~~**~~


Edward looked up to the queen’s chamber. The curtain was drawn shut. A smile played on Edward’s lips. He turned his eyes back to Roger and withdrew his fingers from the man’s cheek.

“My plan works out just fine,” the king said in a pleased voice.

Roger blinked. Edward looked at him. He gave Roger a questioning look.

“You are not feeling comfortable, Roger d’Amory, are you?” Edward asked.

Roger shook his head.

“No, my lord, I am feeling that I am just a pawn,” he said.

Edward raised an eyebrow.

“A pawn is often underestimated,” Edward said. “Do not sacrifice a pawn carelessly. Do not endanger your king carelessly. Many do not know how to play a game of chess properly.”

“You are an expert in playing chess?” Roger asked attentively.

“No, I am not. But I am the king,” Edward said soberly.

Edward turned away and started crossing the green. Roger looked after him. He felt intimidated again for an instant. But then he followed Edward. They stopped at a bed of flowers. Edward looked at the flowers thoughtfully.

“We must step carefully, Roger d’Amory. My foes are eager to win this game. However, I think they do not know how to play the game well. They are keen to win fast. They are impatient,” he said.

He turned to Roger and looked at him.

“The queen is an important figure, Roger,” he said. “Lose the queen and you are almost certainly bound to lose the whole game.”

“The queen is your foe,” Roger reminded the king.

Edward nodded.

“Indeed, she is,” he said. “And that is why we must break her power.”

He looked at Roger with a smile. Roger just looked back at the king.

“Let’s go back, Roger,” Edward said. “I will be thinking about my next move. But now let’s go back and get rid of those thoughts for a while.”

Edward gave Roger another smile. Then he turned and moved back to the house. He walked upright and majestically. Roger followed him.

~~**~~


The peers gave them piercing looks when they entered the house. The king and his new favourite ignored them. They walked down the hallway and climbed the stairs to the first floor.

“They are watching us,” Edward said drily.

“I feel like acting on a stage,” Roger said.

“All the world’s a stage and all the men and women merely players,” Edward replied.

“If so, why can’t we stop the play then?” Roger asked.

Edward turned his head to him. They walked to Edward’s room slowly.

“Good question, Roger d’Amory,” Edward said. He gave Roger a curious look.

A servant opened the door for them. Edward and Roger entered the king’s parlour. The servant closed the door. Edward pointed at the chaise longue.

“Good question, Roger d’Amory,” Edward repeated when they had sat down.

Edward leaned back against the rear of the chaise longue and looked into the room thoughtfully.

“I could have saved Piers Gaveston’s life if I had been able to stop the play. I was not able to, though. Yes, good question, Roger d’Amory. Perhaps I am wrong and the world is not a stage. The world rather is a den of iniquity, isn’t it?” Edward asked.

He looked at Roger out of the corner of his eye. Roger tilted his head slightly.

“Perhaps this is the title of the play,” he replied.

“Why would we want to play an ugly game?” Edward asked curiously.

Roger shrugged.

“Because we are bound to play it?” he asked back.

“Damned to play it, you mean,” Edward said.

He looked at the ceiling for a moment before turning his eyes back to Roger.

“Paradise is lost. We are banned from it and thus we are damned to play this ugly game. Is this what you are thinking, Roger d’Amory?” he asked.

Roger shrugged.

“This is what the priests teach us, at least,” he said.

“In fact,” Edward said thoughtfully. “But perhaps the priests are wrong?” he asked.

“Uttering this thought is dangerous, my king,” Roger said.

“Uttering this thought would lead to my immediate downfall, in fact,” Edward said drily. “This is why I will not utter it. But I can very well act on it.”

Roger gave him a questioning look. Edward looked back, smiling slightly.

“My malady is a bone of contention. It could very well lead to my downfall and destruction. But heresy is an immediate death sentence,” Edward explained.

Roger measured Edward.

“You mean you want to accuse the queen of heresy?” he asked warily.

Edward shook his head briefly.

“Not so much the queen. Rather the figure that is protecting her. The man who is to her service. He claims to be the queen’s confidant. But his loyalty is a lie,” he said.

Edward crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“Sir Mortimer is working on my destruction and at the same time he is working on the queen’s downfall as well. He plays a double game. But he knows that he cannot win without the queen.”

Edward smiled.

“Sir Mortimer will be working on gaining the queen. But he must weaken her power. We need not do anything. We just need to watch his moves. However, once he has taken over control, we must act very quickly,” he said.

“How would you be able to accuse Sir Mortimer of heresy if there is no evidence of it?” Roger asked.

“I am working on this,” Edward said with a smile.

He looked at Roger for an instant.

“But now let us drop these dark and disturbing thoughts,” Edward said.

He leaned back more and looked at Roger. Then Edward reached out his hand and placed his fingers on Roger’s cheek. Roger leaned in to the king.

~~**~~


Roger awoke with a start. He had dreamed of the white dove again. He had heard the dove cry, yet he did not remember if it had fallen dead to the ground. Roger shifted uncomfortably. Edward, lying next to him, moved and turned on his side. Roger turned his head to him.

“What?” Edward asked tiredly.

Roger did not respond. Edward lifted his head.

“What is going on, Roger?” he asked.

“Nothing,” Roger replied in a low voice. “I just woke with a start.”

Edward reached out and placed his arm around Roger.

“Go back to sleep,” he murmured.

Edward moved closer. Soon, Roger heard Edward’s steady breathing. Edward had fallen asleep again. Roger closed his eyes. He relaxed. But a distant worry remained and it was faintly troubling his mind.

~~**~~



This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..