Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 8. Chapter 8




Hugh Despenser arrived at court at the end of September 1315. Sir Mortimer had arranged his invitation. Hugh Despenser was assigned to a position of quite a low rank.

“I make sure a higher position will be assigned to him soon. But first, he needs to be introduced at court,” Sir Mortimer said to Isabella.

The queen and Sir Mortimer were having tea in the queen’s parlour.

“When will this be?” Isabella asked curiously.

“In just a few months,” Sir Mortimer said. “We must step more carefully this time. Hugh Despenser is not yet introduced into our plan. I will watch the man in order to make sure that we will trust the right man.”

“What if Edward crosses his way before we have infiltrated the man?” Isabella asked.

“This will not happen, my lady. Hugh Despenser will work at a place far away from Edward’s paths,” Sir Mortimer said.

“He might meet him on the green under my window,” Isabella said in despise.

“He will not step on the green,” Sir Mortimer said soberly.

Isabella put down her cup on the table. She looked at Sir Mortimer seriously.

“Roger d’Amory stepped on the green,” she said.

“He stepped on the green because I made him step on the green,” Sir Mortimer said in a slightly impatient voice.

Isabella frowned at him. Sir Mortimer shrugged.

“That was part of our original plan, my lady. The initial part, in fact. It would have worked out well, had not Edward given away power to the peers. It would have worked well, if Roger d’Amory was a more open man,” Sir Mortimer said.

Isabella raised an eyebrow. Sir Mortimer examined his fingernails. He looked up.

“Roger d’Amory is loyal to the king. A different man would perhaps have sold his intimate knowledge,” he said soberly.

Isabella smiled. She nodded.

“I hope this time you have better knowledge of the chosen man’s character,” she said.

Sir Mortimer nodded at the queen.

“Hugh Despenser is corrupt. We will take advantage of his corruption. And yet we must be careful for a corrupt agent could very well ruin his principal,” he said.

Isabella nodded in understanding.

“Make sure this will not happen, Mortimer,” she said sharply.

“I will make sure of it, my lady,” Sir Mortimer replied. “I will bribe him to silence before he learns of his mission. A corrupt man has many things to hide. I will unveil them all.”

“Make sure of it,” Isabella repeated. Her voice was serious with a dangerous undertone.

They exchanged a look for an instant. Then Sir Mortimer smiled politely.

“Any more tea, my lady?” he asked.

~~**~~


Roger was in his own chamber. He paced the room. He was feeling nervous and restless.

“How can Edward be so ignorant?” he said to himself. “Yes, a dream is just a dream. But I feel truly worried. Sir Mortimer won the queen over. He is more dangerous than ever. Now he just needs to win the peers over. Sir Mortimer made progress, definitely.”

Roger continued pacing the room. His thoughts were running.

“I do not understand. Does Edward give in? He saw through Sir Mortimer’s plan instantly. Edward’s plan to counteract was brilliant. Has he given up on his plan?”

Roger stopped at the window and looked out of it. He bit his lip.

“They say Edward is weak, not interested in politics. Yes, he gave away power. I understood his reasons. He lost the Battle of Bannockburn. It was a crushing defeat. It weakened his position as a legitimate regent and king.”

Roger turned abruptly and crossed the room again.

“Nonetheless, he is King of England. The peers have not yet revolted against him. But Sir Mortimer and the queen have united forces. Together they are strong. They could easily win. Is Edward blind? Or is he just lazy? Does he not know what to do? Or does he not dare to make a bold move?”

Roger stopped walking and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“I sometimes think he has no interest in England, his country. He is only interested in his private affairs.”

Roger flushed. He realised that he himself was part of the king’s private affairs. The major part of the private affairs, so to speak.

“As long as I bear him company and do not complain, Edward is content and satisfied. He doesn’t take me seriously. I’m his toy. I’m his puppet. Not that I do not love him, but this attitude of his is slowly getting on my nerves,” Roger said to himself. He sounded unnerved.

Roger moved back to the window. He took a deep breath.

“It will be getting on the peers’ nerves also. There is no doubt that Sir Mortimer will see to that.”

Roger stood motionless for a while, dwelling on his disturbing thoughts.

“I ought to be cautious. I must not get drowsy. I must not doze and sleep. Thus I cannot be suddenly roused from my slumber. If Edward decides to comfortably sleep, well, why wake him up? It is his purely personal matter. I must not interfere. After all, I am just a minion, safe only as long as the king favours me.”

Roger sat down in a chair. He swallowed hard.

“It’s not that I do not love him. He won my heart. This is for sure. But I know that my dream was a warning. I should have listened to it when I was given this same warning the very first time.”

Roger shrugged.

“What could I have done? Sir Mortimer arranged the meeting on the green. And Edward cast an eye on me. He himself said I must not reject the command of a king. My fate would have been sealed before it would have even unfolded. And now I am doomed, if I do not find a safe way out and soon.”

Roger rose to his feet and left the room. He left the castle and went for a walk on his own.

~~**~~


Hugh the younger Despenser was eager to catch a glimpse of the king. He was proud he had received an invitation to work at court, which could only mean that the king had heard of him.

Hugh Despenser was self-confident and ambitious. He liked to be the centre of interest and, in a sense, he was sure the world revolved around him.

Hugh Despenser was disappointed when he learned that he would not dine with the peers and the king. He lost interest in his work quickly. He soon made plans on how to ascend to a higher position and rank.

Hugh Despenser had heard of Edward’s malady. He was highly interested to meet the king. Hugh had also heard of Edward’s favourite Roger d’Amory. Hugh envied the man.

The months passed by. Hugh grew increasingly restless. He did not make progress. On the contrary, he felt he was stuck.

In the beginning of January 1316, however, a lucky incident turned his fate for the better. Sir Mortimer, a nobleman and a peer of very high rank, asked Hugh a favour in a minor matter and then, for no obvious reason, started prattling with him.

~~**~~


“It is time I talk to Hugh Despenser,” Sir Mortimer had said to the queen in the morning. “The man is discontent and very impatient. He is ambitious and self-confident. However, his self-confidence meanwhile is shaken for he does not make progress, which highly humiliates the proud and conceited man.”

“Then talk to him,” Isabella said. “I heard Edward sees Roger less often. Perhaps he is finally tired of him.”

She waved her hand.

“I have heard this also,” Sir Mortimer said. “Nothing else, however, indicates a change. They still make a merry couple when seen together at dinner.”

Isabella curled her lips. Sir Mortimer gave her a playful smile.

“Roger d’Amory is a serious man. Too serious perhaps for a king who gets easily depressed,” Sir Mortimer said. “However, I think choosing d’Amory as a prey perhaps was not a wrong decision. Edward starts feeling bored. He will welcome Hugh Despenser with open arms for Hugh Despenser certainly is more passionate and fiery than Roger d’Amory is.”

Isabella curled her lips again. Sir Mortimer shrugged and waved his hand.

“Push aside any scruples and moral concerns, my lady. We must act on the king’s weakness,” Sir Mortimer said.

“Certainly,” Isabella replied. “I pushed those scruples aside a long time ago. Nonetheless, I do not want to know any intimate details.”

Sir Mortimer gave her a faint nod.

“My lady, I am going to talk with the man. Hugh Despenser will hang on my lips. He will not reject my offer,” he said.

Isabella gave Sir Mortimer a small smile.

“So be it,” she said.

~~**~~


Hugh Despenser was made royal chamberlain at the end of January 1316. Sir Mortimer had arranged it. Edward had signed the protocol that announced Hugh Despenser’s promotion without even reading the scroll.

Edward was feeling slightly depressed. But he was not sure where the feeling came from. Edward found no reason to blame Roger. He could not blame the peers also. They were content and let him live in peace. He also could not blame his spouse Isabella whom he saw only in the hall every once in a while. The queen ignored him and was eager to not cross his way. Neither could Edward blame Sir Mortimer who was quiet and, according to Edward’s informants, did not prepare a move. So, finally, Edward assigned his depression to the darkness and the cold of the winter. He looked forward to the spring when the sun was out again and the days were warm and tender.

Roger was aware of the king’s depression. He did not further it with disturbing thoughts and demands. But he also did not seek to pamper the king. Edward’s depression was another warning to Roger. He knew that the king, though not yet aware of it himself, was fed up with his favourite man. Roger tried to think and act rationally. But the king’s growing disinterest gnawed on him. Roger felt humiliated and he found it increasingly difficult to hide his feelings. He was close to depression also. The winter went by only slowly.

Hugh Despenser felt almost nervous. For the first time, he would take part in the royal dinner. Hugh felt highly pleased. Sir Mortimer had arranged his promotion. Hugh was aware he owed the man a favour. To be exact, Sir Mortimer had left no doubt of it. Hugh shrugged. Whatever the man wanted, he would learn it in time. One hand washed the other. Hugh Despenser found Sir Mortimer was a shrewd and clever man who he could negotiate with on many things. Hugh smiled contently while he dressed up for dinner. Apparently, he had found a high noble favourer. So why annoy the man?

~~**~~


Isabella entered the dining hall. The peers looked up with surprise. The queen had been absent for many weeks. So her presence was a true surprise to them.

Isabella sat down next to the king. However, she ignored him and she also ignored his favourite man. Isabella nodded at the peers and gave them a smile. The peers whispered and wondered what had made the change. They fell silent when Edward spoke up in a loud voice.

Sir Mortimer sat at the long side of the table. He nodded briefly at Isabella and made a faint sign with his hand. Isabella turned her eyes and then she spotted the man. She studied his face thoroughly. In fact, she found, Hugh Despenser was an attractive and handsome man.

Isabella glanced at Roger d’Amory. No doubt, she thought, Roger d’Amory was a handsome man also. But he was soft and tender compared to Hugh Despenser who cast fiery looks at the king. Isabella smiled inwardly. Hugh Despenser was already working on the plan that Sir Mortimer had not yet entrusted to him. Isabella furtively watched Hugh Despenser. The king had not yet taken notice of him.

Isabella finished her dinner. Then she gave Sir Mortimer a faint nod. She rose to her feet and left the hall, content with what she had seen. The queen retired to her rooms. There was no need to endure the king’s company any longer.

Sir Mortimer joined her in her room later that evening.

“Hugh Despenser will win the king’s heart,” Isabella said. “Roger d’Amory has lost already.”

Sir Mortimer nodded his agreement.

“It will not be difficult, my lady. I watched Edward and Roger. They barely talked and scarcely exchanged looks. Roger’s time is over and Hugh Despenser’s has begun,” Sir Mortimer said with a content smile. He rubbed his hands.

“Our time has just begun,” Isabella said softly.

Sir Mortimer’s smile broadened.

“Our time, yes, my lady, has finally begun,” he said. “We now will rise to greater power.”

Isabella smiled back at Sir Mortimer. ‘I will rise and you will fall. You’re just not yet aware of it,’ she thought.

~~**~~


Roger spent another night in his own room. Edward had not asked him to join him. Roger stood by the window and looked out into the night.

“I need not dream of the dove,” he said bitterly. “I know that it has fallen dead to the ground.”

Roger closed his eyes for a moment. He instantly saw the face of the man. Roger compressed his lips. He had spotted him during dinner. A new face. A new nobleman at the king’s table. A handsome man who had cast a covetous eye on the king.

Roger swallowed. He bit his lip for an instant.

“Edward has not yet noticed him. But he will do so, sooner or later. This man does not hold back. He does not feel ashamed to come on to the king. Who is this man?” Roger asked himself.

Roger pressed his head against the cold windowpane.

“I need not know his name,” he said under his breath.

Roger straightened. Irrational fear took hold of him. He felt threatened and he sensed that his downfall was near.

“I will learn his name soon, no doubt. But I should not bother myself with his name or his face. I need to act. I need to make up a smart and clever plan. And, above all, I need to act quickly.”

Roger’s thoughts were running wild. His fate was sealed. He was certain of it. The king would discard him soon. Roger sensed his ruin was near. And he was certain his ruin would be a complete one.

“The dove fell dead to the ground,” Roger whispered. Why did I ignore this warning?

Roger turned away from the window.

“I need not speak to Edward. I have already lost him. There is only one thing I can do that will save me from my total destruction,” he said anxiously.

Roger put on his doublet and headed for the door.

“It is late in the evening. But hopefully not too late to speak with the man who can stop my complete ruin and downfall. I must talk to Sir Mortimer. I must speak to him at once.”

Roger left the room and hurried down the corridor.

~~**~~


Roger hurried down the hallways until he found Sir Mortimer’s chamber. He knocked several times, yet there was no response.

‘He is not in his room,’ Roger thought in almost despair.

He leaned against the wall of the corridor. The stones were cold. Roger’s body tensed.

Finally, Roger heard footsteps. They came closer. A man turned around the corner He stopped in front of Roger. Sir Mortimer studied Roger’s face, and then he smiled.

“Ah, Roger d’Amory,” Sir Mortimer said almost casually.

Sir Mortimer made a step back and smiled again. Then he pointed at the door of his chamber.

“Come in, Sir d’Amory. I did not expect you to come and see me tonight. But I thought you would come and see me tomorrow,” he said.

He smiled at Roger while opening the door for him.

“I consider you a smart and clever man,” Sir Mortimer continued. “Yet, I have to admit, I did not think you would act that quickly.”

Sir Mortimer pointed at a chair.

“Take a seat, please, Sir d’Amory. Let me know...can I help you?”

Roger sat down. He shifted uncomfortably. His body felt numb. He felt like a traitor. Roger looked at Sir Mortimer. The man smiled at him playfully.

“You planned it all, didn’t you?” Roger asked in a sober voice.

Sir Mortimer pressed his hands together. He gave Roger a questioning look.

“What are you talking about exactly, Sir d’Amory?” he asked

“The new man at the table who casts a covetous eye on the king,” Roger said.

Sir Mortimer’s smile broadened.

“You have noticed him. I knew you would. King Edward, however, was not that quick,” he said.

Sir Mortimer leaned back and curled his lips. Roger frowned at him.

“Indeed,” Sir Mortimer said. “I arranged it. His name is Hugh Despenser. He is the royal chamberlain.”

Sir Mortimer leaned forward.

“King Edward signed his promotion. You will not be able to do anything about it, Sir d’Amory,” he said with a cold look.

Roger felt humiliated. But he suppressed his feelings. He forced himself to think coherently. Roger leaned forward too and narrowed his eyes.

“So help me now and for once, and I will leave you and the queen in peace,” he said in a cold voice.

“I cannot imagine you can ruin my plans. Can you imagine it?” Sir Mortimer asked, showing no emotions.

“I could inform the peers who are still loyal to the king. I could seek a way to get rid of Despenser. Not much I could do, in fact. But I still have influence on Edward. And believe me, I will be working on disturbing your plans while I still have influence on the king,” Roger said.

Sir Mortimer leaned back and studied Roger.

“You sound bitter, d’Amory. And a bitter man is a dangerous foe. In fact, there is little you could do. But you might stir an upheaval that is most redundant and would only unsettle the peers. Not that this would stop my plans altogether. But I could live without a riot at court that would not help me at all,” Sir Mortimer said.

They gazed at each other.

“A riot that would not lead to the king’s downfall would indeed not help you much, Sir Mortimer,” Roger said coldly.

Sir Mortimer just waved his hand.

“Listen, d’Amory,” Sir Mortimer said finally. “I can arrange that Edward vests you with a title that once and for all makes you one of the peers. He already assigned to you various manors. A few more will be assigned to you,” Sir Mortimer said.

Roger kept gazing at him.

“I doubt your influence on Edward is that big,” Roger said finally.

Sir Mortimer smiled.

“I will not talk to Edward on this matter personally, of course. But I know how to arrange it, believe me, d’Amory. Lord d’Amory...how does this sound to you?” Sir Mortimer asked.

Roger kept gazing at Sir Mortimer for a while. He felt cold. He felt like a traitor. Roger swallowed. And then, he nodded.

“This is alright with me,” he said finally.

Sir Mortimer leaned back and looked at Roger. He did not really pity the man. He did not really care. But, to his own surprise, he felt for him a little.

Sir Mortimer gave Roger a small and sincere smile.

“So be it, then, Sir d’Amory,” Sir Mortimer said.

He nodded at Roger. Roger rose to his feet. He gave Sir Mortimer a small nod and then left the room. Sir Mortimer looked at the closed door.

“You could not have done a lot, d’Amory. But who knows what you would have been up to? You’re smart and clever. And you were quick. That took me by surprise. I do not want you to take me by surprise again. Why take that risk?”

Sir Mortimer sighed and rose to his feet.

“You’re clever and smart, d’Amory. But you were not so clever now. You could have found a better solution,” Sir Mortimer said to himself in a mocking voice. “I smelled your fear. Fortunately, your fear seized control of you. Before you are able to think coherently again, everything will be arranged to my advantage.”

Sir Mortimer straightened.

“Better I bribed him to silence. Good he agreed to my offer,” he said with a yawn.

Sir Mortimer sat down at his desk with a sigh.

“I’ll better right now write the letters that will seal his fate. I’ll hand them in tomorrow early in the morning. D’Amory has lost. His game is over,” Sir Mortimer said contentedly.

He took a quill and with a pleased smile wrote a few letters.

~~**~~


This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..