Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 9. Chapter 9




Hugh Despenser was introduced to King Edward the following morning. Edward was surprised to learn he had a new chamberlain. He did not remember that anybody had informed him of the change.

“What happened to Sir Gloucester?” he asked with a frown. “I was content with him. He served me well.”

“You assigned to him another position,” Sir Duffy said indifferently.

“When did I do that?” Edward asked. His voice was angry.

“A week ago, my lord,” Sir Duffy said. “I was given the scroll a week ago. The scroll was sealed. I opened it and I saw your signature.”

Edward furrowed his brows. He was thinking.

“And I promoted Hugh Despenser?” he asked. He was still feeling puzzled.

“Well, yes, you did, my lord,” Sir Duffy said. “Sir Hugh Despenser is waiting outside. Perhaps you caught sight of him yesterday, my lord. He joined us for dinner last night.”

“Did he?” Edward asked. “I do not remember his face. I did not take notice of him. Who is this man, Sir Duffy?”

“Hugh the younger Despenser, my lord. He is the son and heir of Hugh le Despenser, Earl of Winchester,” Sir Duffy said. “He came to court a few months ago. He had received an invitation. He was a secretary at court and you promoted him last week, my lord.”

Edward furrowed his brows again. He vaguely remembered that Sir Rowley, a peer, had talked to him about the various offices at court. The man had talked in a monotone voice. He had talked without interruption for at least one hour. Sir Rowley had bored Edward tremendously. Edward vaguely remembered that the man had finally stopped talking. Edward faintly remembered that he had then signed a few scrolls.

Edward straightened. He looked at Sir Duffy.

“I do remember now, Sir Duffy. Indeed, I remember I signed a few scrolls. Sir Rowley told me he had arranged a few things. I do trust in Sir Rowley’s circumspection,” the king said.

“So you wish to see the new chamberlain now, my lord?” Sir Duffy asked.

Edward shrugged resignedly.

“Show him into the parlour, Sir Duffy,” he said.

Edward sat down in a chair upright and with a majestic demeanour. He looked into the room majestically. Sir Duffy opened the door and asked Hugh Despenser in.

Hugh Despenser, to his own surprise, was feeling slightly nervous. He controlled his anxiety, however, and entered the room calmly. Hugh made a few steps towards the king. He stopped and looked at Edward. Hugh’s face was calm and free of emotions. Hugh bowed to King Edward and then straightened again.

“I am at your service, your majesty, my lord,” he said gravely.

Hugh Despenser stood upright. He looked proud and self-confident. Edward studied him for a while.

“I welcome you at court,” Edward said finally. “I heard you were invited to serve at court. You rendered great merits and you were promoted royal chamberlain. I signed your promotion myself. Sir Rowley acknowledged your merits. I trust Sir Rowley’s circumspection. And I do trust you will serve the king well,” Edward said in a measured voice.

He studied Hugh Despenser while he spoke to him. Edward had never heard of Hugh. Or at least he did not remember. But the name Despenser rang a bell. Edward had a queasy feeling. His mind was working. He was looking for the connections. He did not find any, however. But Edward felt irritated that no one had informed him in detail and in person on Hugh Despenser’s promotion. After all, the royal chamberlain was a position of trust. Edward intended to speak to Sir Rowley on this. For the time being, he intended to trust the man, but nonetheless watch him warily.

Edward gave Hugh Despenser a small smile as a welcome. Hugh Despenser smiled back. He almost beamed at the king. Edward gazed at the man. The man’s boldness took the king by surprise. He studied Hugh Despenser more closely. Hugh Despenser smiled inwardly at the king’s bewilderment. He straightened more and cast another smile at the king, well aware that he was acting boldly.

Sir Duffy stood by the door and looked at the royal chamberlain’s back. He did not see the king’s face. He was wondering why the introduction took so long. But then he remembered that no one apparently had informed King Edward in detail on the change. The royal chamberlain was a position of trust, after all. The king took his time to study the man closely and interrogate him if necessary, apparently.

Sir Duffy also trusted in Sir Rowley’s circumspection. He would only advocate the promotion of an honourable man who was loyal to the king. Sir Duffy did not know that Sir Mortimer had instructed one of the peers to praise Hugh Despenser’s merits to Sir Rowley. The man played a double game. He biased to the king or the queen, depending on his own career plans. Sir Duffy kept gazing at Hugh Despenser’s back. His thoughts slowly drifted off.

Hugh Despenser and King Edward had forgotten about Sir Duffy. They gazed at each other. Edward took in the features of his new chamberlain. Long dark hair framed Hugh’s face. His eyes were of a dark brown. Hugh Despenser’s look was fiery. Edward almost stopped breathing for a moment. He controlled himself, however. He shifted only slightly in his chair.

Hugh Despenser was an experienced man. He was able to read the signs of attraction. The king showed all of them. Hugh watched Edward attentively. His sight had definitely struck the king. Hugh, inwardly, felt enthusiastic and excited. He rejoiced. Finally, he was close to the king. However, Hugh hid his emotions.

Edward finally made a faint gesture with his hand.

“Sir Hugh Despenser, royal chamberlain, I trust you are familiar with your duties. I wrote a few letters. Please copy them,” Edward said.

Edward managed to turn his eyes away from Hugh Despenser. He made another gesture with his hand, and then he rose to his feet. Hugh Despenser watched Edward’s movements. Edward crossed the room slowly. He glanced at his chamberlain again. Hugh Despenser stood motionless. He was still smiling.

Sir Duffy took sight of Edward. He turned quickly and opened the door for the king. Edward retired to his private chamber. He sat down in a chair and gazed into the room. Edward closed his eyes briefly. He had to admit that Hugh’s sight had definitely struck him.

~~**~~


Hugh looked after the king until the door had closed. The smile on Hugh’s lips broadened. He was an experienced man and was able to read the signs of attraction. The king had shown them all. Hugh was sure his sight had definitely struck the king. Not that Hugh had had any doubt of it, but it felt good to see Edward’s reaction.

Hugh sat down at the desk and copied the letters. He would do whatever Edward wanted him to do. Hugh Despenser smiled again. Whatever the king wanted him to do. Hugh was certain the king would soon require a special service. Hugh rejoiced. He had been promoted to the highest position that he would have ever been able to achieve.

Hugh mused on the king. Edward was handsome. For some time, Hugh forgot about the letters. Finally, Hugh placed them on the desk and smiled at the opposite wall. Yes, he had to admit that the sight of Edward had definitely struck him.

~~**~~


Edward felt slightly disturbed when Roger entered the king’s parlour. Edward looked at the man in confusion. The king was absent-minded. He had thought of Hugh Despenser. Edward looked at Roger as if he was wondering who the man was.

Roger immediately knew that the inevitable had happened. Roger swallowed. He felt a lump in his throat. Roger barely managed a nod. He smiled at Edward faintly.

Edward watched Roger. The sight of the man made him feel uneasy. Edward shifted in his chair. He looked at Roger again. Roger looked scared and frightened.

“Take a seat, Roger,” Edward said finally.

Roger sat down and Edward leaned back in his chair. Roger felt uncomfortable.

Edward looked at Roger. He didn’t quite understand himself why he suddenly rejected the man. Edward tried to fight his emotions. Roger was soft. He was smart and clever. And Roger truly loved his king. Edward found no reason to reject his favourite man. There was just this sudden lack of desire. He did not feel like touching him. Edward swallowed.

‘I am unfair. I am in the wrong,’ Edward thought. ‘He is on my side. I will not find another like him.’

And yet, Edward barely managed a smile. He shifted in his chair uncomfortably.

Roger ignored Edward’s confused look. He pretended to read a letter that he had taken along. But Roger’s hands trembled and he was barely able to breathe. The inevitable had happened. Sadness overwhelmed Roger. He would have liked to leave. But Roger was not able to move. He wondered why he had come to see the king. He could have left the castle with an excuse. He could have sent the king a message. Roger was scarcely able to look up. He did not want to meet Edward’s eyes. Roger was scared and frightened.

Finally, Roger looked up. He saw the sadness in Edward’s eyes. But Edward seemed to be very distant. Edward, the man was unapproachable. Roger realised that not the man but the king looked at him. Roger’s heart broke that very instant.

Roger cleared his throat finally. King Edward gave him a questioning look. Roger spoke up. His voice was fragile. He struggled to control his demeanour.

“Your majesty,” Roger started, controlling his voice.

Edward lifted his chin slightly at the formal style of address.

“My lord, I have come to inform you that I will leave this afternoon. I need to attend to my uncle who fell seriously ill. I will be back in four weeks at the earliest,” Roger said.

Edward and Roger exchanged a long look. There was no need to say anymore. They both understood perfectly.

“I suspect everything is arranged for your well-being,” Edward said in a stifled voice finally.

Roger nodded, avoiding Edward’s eyes.

“Who saw to it?” Edward asked, feeling slightly shaken at the fact.

“A man I do not trust, but a man I have to rely on,” Roger said in a toneless voice.

“Sir Mortimer,” Edward said, just stating the obvious.

Roger nodded.

“He won you over then?” Edward asked, sounding disappointed.

Roger shook his head.

“No, he did not. But, as you see, his plan works out fine. You were too careless and you did not act in time,” he said.

Roger’s eyes rested on Edward’s face. Roger’s eyes showed that he was hurt.

“So it is my fault again,” Edward said in a fragile voice.

Roger looked at him seriously.

“You could stop fate right now. But you must act at once. But I know you well meanwhile, Edward. You will not do what needs to be done for you are too weak a man. You have already fallen, Edward,” Roger said.

Roger raised his hand when Edward opened his mouth to reply to Roger’s bold statement.

“I am right. You cannot deny it,” Roger said.

Roger rose to his feet.

“Those were my last words to the man I have come to know and love. From now on I will only speak to my regent and king,” he said.

Edward looked at him, feeling numb. He wanted to reply, he wanted to act, and yet he did not do anything. He did not know why, but he was just not able to. He despised himself for his weakness.

Edward’s eyelids flickered. He looked at Roger.

“Your majesty, my lord, I ask you to suspend me from office for the time being,” Roger said informally.

Edward gave him a brief nod. And then King Edward II made a gesture with his hand.

Roger d’Amory bowed deeply. He straightened and then backed out until he had reached the door. He turned and opened the door. He stepped out and closed the door behind him.

Edward gazed at the door like in a state of shock. Then he slumped in his chair. He had a lump in his throat and his heart felt like stone. Edward felt ashamed. He closed his eyes, unable to push away the lies that had always saved him from facing the truth. Now he could no longer deny it. Edward clenched his fists when he thought the thoughts that everybody else had already thought for so long:

He was Edward II, King of England, weakling and wimp.

~~**~~


“Roger d’Amory has left,” Sir Mortimer told Isabella in the evening.

Isabella looked at Sir Mortimer. She brushed back a strand of her hair.

“The man gave in quickly,” she said, raising an eyebrow. “Will he return?”

Sir Mortimer nodded.

“Yes, my lady, he will return at the end of February. Until then I will have arranged that the title of a Lord will be assigned to him,” Sir Mortimer said.

Sir Mortimer leaned back in his chair. He folded his hands and looked at the queen.

“What? Why this?” Isabella asked, straightening in her chair.

Isabella’s cheeks flushed slightly. Sir Mortimer waved his hand lazily.

“D’Amory is not a fool. He came to see me last night after dinner,” Sir Mortimer said.

He smiled at the queen. Isabella raised an eyebrow thoughtfully.

“Roger d’Amory came to see you?” she asked pensively. “He must have seen Hugh Despenser then. The fiery man scared the soft man, apparently. Roger d’Amory gave in that quickly?”

Sir Mortimer nodded. A smile was playing on his lips.

“In fact, he did. And he came to the right conclusion. He figured out that Hugh Despenser was not the king’s favourite but rather the queen’s loyal man,” Sir Mortimer explained.

Sir Mortimer folded his hands.

“I bribed him to silence,” he said. “Just to make sure.”

Isabella curled her lips.

“Did he threaten you?” she asked.

Sir Mortimer waved his hand.

“Some minor threats. Nothing I could not have dealt with, my lady. But a bitter man makes a dangerous foe. So I bribed him to silence. The title of a Lord and a few more manors. That will make him a peer. I doubt this will help him gain a reputation, though,” Sir Mortimer said.

He shrugged and waved his hand again.

“But who knows. He might befriend with one peer or the other. So better ease his pain a little, I thought,” Sir Mortimer said, smiling mildly.

Isabella gave a laugh. She winked at Sir Mortimer.

“You are a truly compassionate man, Mortimer,” she said.

Sir Mortimer smiled back at the queen.

“I received a note from him this morning. He wrote he would be absent until the end of February,” Sir Mortimer said.

His voice sounded bored. The queen watched him attentively.

“I guess he does not want to witness Edward and Hugh Despenser becoming friends,” Sir Mortimer said, smiling mischievously.

“Will the plan work out?” Isabella asked nervously.

“It will, my lady,” Sir Mortimer said. “Hugh Despenser was introduced to the king this morning. I heard that the king was overwhelmed by his sight.”

Sir Mortimer smiled mischievously.

“Who told you this?” Isabella asked curiously.

“A servant told me. A man I had ordered to watch attentively. He told me the king looked enamoured when he left the room after meeting Hugh Despenser. The man is an excellent observer. This is why I ordered him to do some dusting in the hallway,” Sir Mortimer said.

Isabella smiled in amusement.

“You do not forget about anything, Sir Mortimer. I highly appreciate your circumspection,” the queen said cheerfully.

Sir Mortimer slightly bowed to the queen. He smiled at Isabella.

“Since Hugh Despenser is Edward’s chamberlain, they will see each other often,” Sir Mortimer said.

“So they should easily get a bit closer,” Isabella said cheerfully.

“Yes, my lady,” Sir Mortimer said. “And Hugh Despenser is certainly eager to know the king better. Everybody talked about the way he looked at the king last night. He cast a covetous eye on the king. Many of the peers already consider Despenser the king’s new favourite. Roger d’Amory’s hasty departure corroborated the belief, of course.”

Isabella leaned back. She nodded pensively.

“So, again we have to wait until things will unfold,” she said.

Isabella shrugged. She was feeling almost bored. Sir Mortimer nodded.

“Soon after Edward has introduced Hugh Despenser as his new favourite, I will talk to the man. I will bribe him and then inform him on our plan,” Sir Mortimer said.

“Are you really sure he will accomplish the mission?” Isabella asked Sir Mortimer.

“I am, my lady,” Sir Mortimer said confidently. “Hugh Despenser has gained all he could ever hope for. He will not give it away freely. And he does not want to lose it either.”

Sir Mortimer gave the queen a reassuring smile.

“I am confident, my lady,” he said.

~~**~~


Edward retired to his room right after dinner. He sat down in a chair. Edward felt very depressed. He was sad and tired. However, he was not able to blame anybody for his feelings. He was not even able to blame Roger who had told him the truth right in the face.

Edward took a deep breath. He found it hard to breathe. No, he could not blame anybody for his faults nor could he blame anybody for his failures. He was entirely responsible for them himself.

Edward did not move when he heard a knock at the door. He sighed resignedly and then gave a response.

The door opened and Hugh Despenser stepped in. He bowed to the king.

“My lord, your evening drink. Where do you want me to put it?” Hugh asked.

Hugh Despenser controlled his demeanour. But he was furtively watching the king out of the corner of his eye.

Edward did not reply to Hugh’s question. He just pointed at the table in front of him. Hugh approached and placed the cup on it.

“Is there any more you wish for, my lord?” the royal chamberlain asked.

Hugh looked at Edward and noticed the king’s tired look. Hugh sensed the king’s sad mood and his depression.

“Are you not feeling well, my lord?” he asked softly. “Can I help you with anything else?”

Edward looked up and studied the man. He could not help but admiring his handsome features. Edward, however, hid his emotions. He shook his head.

“It is all for today. I want to go to bed early,” Edward said in a tired voice.

“Then I will go to your bedroom and prepare everything,” Hugh said, giving Edward a small smile.

Edward just nodded and then looked to the floor. Hugh’s heart jumped at Edward’s embarrassment. Apparently, he thought, the king had cast an eye on him.

Hugh retreated and went to Edward’s bedroom. He knew what to do. The previous chamberlain had inducted him into his duties. Hugh rejoiced inwardly. He had heard of Roger d’Amory’s hasty departure, which could only mean that Edward had broken up with him. Hugh placed Edward’s nightgown on the king’s bed. He stroked the silken gown lightly.

“Patience, Hugh,” he said to himself. “Edward is depressed. He is sad and tired. Edward is hurt, but I do not think he is heartbroken. Let him take his time, and then the king will be mine.”

Edward kept gazing at the floor. Finally, he took the cup of wine from the table. He turned it in his hands slowly.

“You are right, Roger,” he said. “I did not act in time. And now it is too late. I cannot fight it. I cannot do anything about it. I feel that I am already addicted to this man.”

~~**~~


Roger d’Amory had left early in the morning. He had decided to visit his uncle. His uncle was in good health. His illness was just an excuse and a lie.

Roger rode all day long. He stopped when night fell. Roger entered a small tavern and paid for a room on his own. He lay down on the bed in the small chamber and gave in to his grief. His mind was clouded and his body was numb.

The hours passed by. Roger was not able to go to sleep. Disturbing thoughts haunted him. Roger thought of the king and his handsome features. He thought of the day when they had first met. Roger had been scared and frightened. The king had intimidated him. But soon Roger had come to know Edward better. Edward was a warm and considerate man. The king was smart and clever. Roger thought of the king’s words. Why had Edward given up on his plan?

It was way past midnight when Roger rose from the bed and moved to the small window of the room. He looked into the night.

“Edward is a wayward man,” he said bitterly. “He just caught a glimpse of Hugh Despenser and at once he has forgotten about me.”

Roger’s heart was broken. The king had discarded him. Roger wondered if perhaps he had deceived himself. Perhaps he had been mistaken. Perhaps Edward was not a warm and considerate man. Perhaps this was just a role that the king was playing in private. Perhaps the king had deceived his favourite man. Sadness overwhelmed Roger. He felt entirely hurt.

Roger closed his eyes. There was another feeling that he was not able to push aside. Roger felt ashamed. He felt guilty. He had betrayed his regent and king. Roger had changed sides just in order to save his own skin. He had run to Mortimer, the king’s arch enemy. Roger was wicked, mean, and infamous. Roger blamed himself. He pitied himself. And he suffered.

Dawn was already breaking. Roger still tossed about in his bed. He finally rose to his feet grimly.

“Enough of it, Roger,” he scolded aloud. “Enough. I feel sorry for myself. I wallow in self-pity. It makes me sick. It makes me nauseous. How can I dare to accuse Edward of his faults and failures? Take a look in the mirror, Roger d’Amory. Look at the face of a weakling and wimp.”

Feeling disgusted with his own betrayal, feeling guilty and ashamed, Roger packed his things. Despite feeling entirely tired out, Roger left and rode on early in the morning.

~~**~~



This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..