Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Dawn of Day - 9. Chapter 9 - The Dawn of Day


A moving walkway took them into the spaceport hall. A crew, maybe twenty individuals, possibly the crew of the giant ship, went to a door. They were tall beings with prolonged heads and olive skin, all dressed in navy blue space suits. One after the other went through a double door system. Each individual placed a hand on the wall before the entrance door to the cabin closed behind them. Shesha had explained the procedure to them.

All space-faring crew had finger implants with their personal data saved to them. The sensor in the double door system read the data and compared it to the data sent from the ship and the data saved to the central database and other archives in space. The door on the other side of the system opened when the data matched and the individual could be identified. Security waited on the other side for the individuals who didn’t pass the identification check.

This was the critical point. The humans had no finger implants. The Aryaka implants were deactivated but the finger implants could be passively read. The Aryaka, however, had no interest in the check and wanted to avoid identification. The system could be bypassed, but it was difficult and very expensive. The finger implants could be reconfigured and there was a black market for false identities that hackers had registered to the databases and archives in space. Most illegal crews, however, avoided the cost of the fraud and preferred to operate on shady planets and platforms where security controls were lax. Nahusha had bought false identities in the past when they had made plans for gaining more independence for the Aryaka space hub near the galactic center. They had been captured before using the identities because their communication lines had been overheard.

The Dragon computer had saved the file with the false identities to a protected location. The Izanami squad had removed the gravitational drive from the ship, deactivated the Aryaka’s implants and cut the connections to the databases in space. The squad was efficient but not thorough enough. They had not detected and deleted the protected file from the Dragon computer. The Dragon had sent the file to the Child.

The Child randomly picked three false identities from the file. It was an incalculable risk. The Aryaka had spent a few months in hibernation. The false identities could have been detected and canceled from the archives meanwhile. The Aryaka didn’t have access to the space archives without the implants and the Child’s rudimentary communication system was fragile and consuming a lot of energy. Any log-on attempts to the central database would be easily detected by Izanami. The Aryaka therefore needed temporary data cards, like the humans who didn’t have finger implants at all.

They went to a manned check-in counter. Shesha had prepared six data sets and had saved them to a portable device. Eric seized the gadget firmly in one hand. He held a pile of paper, the printed cargo list, in his other. No space-faring crew printed lists in these days, but Eric was from a backwater planet and didn’t know better. That was what Nahusha had instructed him to say to the person behind the check-in counter.

A yawning individual waited for them, a warm-blooded individual of Ektari origin. The Ektari rubbed his eyes tiredly. The Aryaka exchanged brief looks. Their chances of passing the identification check had increased tremendously.

Eric placed the device and the pile of papers on the counter. The Ektari looked at the papers with obvious disgust. Eric talked to the spaceport employee and pointed at the gadget and the papers. The Ektari, not understanding a single word, gazed at him impatiently.

Nahusha interrupted Eric, turned to the Ektari and explained the situation. He told the employee that the human crew was from a backwater world that was registered in the archives as not operating in space. He said it was the crews’ first flight to a trading place in space and he asked for patience. The humans naturally didn’t know the procedures. They had to be registered to the space archives first. Nahusha told the employee that the identification data sets were saved to the gadget Eric had placed on the counter. The papers were the printed cargo list. The Ektari sighed and looked at the papers and the device tiredly.

“And what about you?” he asked Nahusha sulkily. “You can go through the security gate. Have your finger implants checked and wait for them in the front hall.”

“Is this really what you want?” Nahusha asked. “They don’t speak the language and don’t know what to do. We could save you a lot of time by helping with the procedures.”

The Ektari looked at the humans. Every first-time arrival from a backwater planet meant a lot of work to do. It was late at night, he was tired and he was not in the mood for long and complicated procedures.

“Sure,” he said. “It’s all saved to the gadget? Does it have a wireless connection?”

“Yes,” Nahusha said. “You have to run a more complex reading tool, of course. The gadget is from the backwater world.”

The Ektari frowned at Eric. Eric pushed the papers to the man.

“Not the papers, good man,” the Ektari said, sounding unnerved. He took the device and placed it on a crystal tile. Long minutes went by, but then the man’s eyes lit up. “Done,” he said cheerfully. “The spaceport computer has received the data sets. These backwater people are now being registered with the various databases and archives in space. The computer found the saved cargo list, too, luckily.” He pushed the papers back to Eric with an artificial smile. “You can discharge the shipment after receiving your temporary data cards. I strongly recommend you finger implants, good man.”

“I’ll tell him,” Nahusha said. “Could you produce cards for me and my crew too, please?” he asked.

“Why?” the Ektari asked in bewilderment. “Your data sets are good. Do you have problems with the finger implants?”

“Yes,” Nahusha said. “We traveled on a ship with a crude gravitational drive. The simple ship experienced deviations in space and time, as is often the case with ships from backwater planets. The deviations had an unwanted effect on our finger implants. They must be reconfigured, I fear,” he lied.

The Ektari frowned again at Eric. “Backwater species should not be permitted long-range flights and the use of gravitational drives,” he said. “Alas, I cannot change it. I’m not Izanami security.”

“But you are of great help and you are handling this unpleasant situation professionally,” Nahusha said.

His words produced the wanted effect. The Ektari felt flattered. He produced six data cards and handed them to Nahusha professionally, smiling a professional smile.

Nahusha bowed his head politely. Eric grabbed the papers and the device from the counter and thanked the man several times. Nahusha pointed at the double door system. It had sensors for the finger implants and also a slit for the data cards.

They went through the controls one after the other and then left the spaceport hall quickly.

Nahusha went to a metallic pole, took a card from a pocket and pushed it into a slit. An air car arrived a few moments later, a side door slid open and the group climbed into the cab. Shesha entered the destination.

“Dharana,” he said.

The word sounded like a short hiss to the humans, but they understood the sound meanwhile. They were going to the Aryaka center in the heart of the continent.

The car ascended into the air and then hovered above the ground and along an invisible airway. It moved through the suburbs of Patha, a large and densely populated town, and finally left the city. The car moved fast. The men saw only shadows outside, the schemes of tall trees and thick shrubs. The drive was monotonous and the scenery never changed. The humans soon fell asleep in their seats. The Aryaka took turns in watching their ride on the automated car. While one of them kept watch, the other Aryaka slept for a while.

The car reached Aryaka territory at dawn and stopped near a metallic pole. It was the last stop on the way to Dharana and was located outside the city. The group climbed out and moved on by foot. They followed a road that led into a tropical forest. The thick vegetation looked grayish at twilight, but the color changed to a deep and saturated green when the sun was rising higher.

They walked through thick and lush vegetation, tall trees with huge leaves, high ferns and bushes with big red, blue and yellow blossoms. Garlands of white flowers crept around the trees and the fragrance of flowers and blooms wafted through the air everywhere. Animals, some with scaly skin, others with feathers and plumes, scurried about on the ground, jumped between the bushes and flew between the trees. The men heard squeaking, croaking and cooing everywhere in the forest.

The temperature was rising quickly and the men soon started to sweat and breathe heavily. The Aryaka coped better with the rising temperature. They were agile and advanced with great strides. The humans struggled to keep up with the alien crew.

They entered a place. Buildings, huge step pyramids, were erected between the trees, bushes and ferns. A few pyramids looked old and decayed. The stone was crumbled and weeds and thistles grew from every crack and hole in the walls. Other pyramids were newly built. The stone blocks were smoothed and the walls were painted in bright colors, red, blue and yellow, the colors of the jungle flowers. A few small white cubes were erected between the pyramids. Their function didn’t reveal to the humans.

The sight was surreal, totally unlike what the humans had expected to find. They passed a building that was currently under construction. The building blocks were clearly modules that had been produced by machines. The Aryaka stopped in front of a blue pyramid. It was the biggest pyramid of all. The sides were covered with blue scales that reflected the light. The ruby-colored top was made of a shining material.

Nahusha spoke to the others, gestured at the humans, and then entered the pyramid. The Pyramid of the Elder, Shesha explained by typing a few words into the translation gadget. He handed the tablet to Eric. Nahusha was going to talk with the Elder. Eric wiped his forehead. The sun was still low, but the temperature was rising rapidly. The air was moist and hot. Vasuki leaned against a nearby tree. He closed his eyes. The morning sun was warming his face.

A group of Aryaka entered the place. An Aryaka female, dressed in trousers and a loose yellow blouse, led a group of children to a green pyramid in the sun. She was beautiful in an alien way, tempting in a sense, like a siren or a mermaid. The men stared after her. The female and the children sat down on the pyramid steps and started a lively chatter.

School. Warming up on the blocks, Shesha typed on the keyboard.

Eric looked at the group sitting on the steps of the pyramid. The Aryaka were cold-blooded beings. The children warmed up in the sun.

Nahusha returned with the Elder. The skin of the old Aryaka was of a leathery texture and brownish scales were scattered on his face and on his bald head. His almond eyes were narrowed to slits. Eric felt taken aback. The Elder actually reminded him of an old serpent god. The old Aryaka mustered him. Eric pushed his feeling aside and read the text that Shesha had typed into the gadget. The old Aryaka was the king or the mayor of the city. The translation tool underlined the word because the proper translation was unknown. The Elder’s name was Varyuka.

Varyuka studied Eric long, without a sign of emotion, then made a gesture with his hand and said a few words to Nahusha. Nahusha took the translation tablet from Shesha and told Eric that the Elder invited him inside the pyramid. The Elder, Nahusha and Eric entered the building.

Vasuki opened his eyes and spoke to Shesha. The two Aryaka went to the green pyramid and sat down on a step not far from the children and their teacher. They both closed their eyes. Brandon watched the female and the children. He went over too and sat down next to Vasuki. Vasuki didn’t react and Shesha opened his eyes only briefly.

Dave watched them for a while but then turned away to see more of the surroundings. A smaller red pyramid attracted his attention. A sign above the entrance showed a white egg surrounded by a flower garland. Dave entered the building and stared in shock. Eggs were arranged on shelves on the walls. Each egg was warmed by a lamp above it. The room was clean and sterile. A female sat on a chair next to an egg. The egg was cracking open. The female jumped up and screamed at his sight. She hurried towards Dave, hissing at him in her language. Dave retreated and the female shoved him out of the pyramid.

Shesha and Vasuki came running, followed by Brandon, the teacher and the children. Vasuki seized Dave by the shoulders, dragged him away and threw him to the ground. He shouted at Dave in rage and raised his fist for a blow. Shesha pushed Vasuki aside. The Elder hurried towards them. Nahusha and Eric followed him, both of them shouting. There was quite a commotion. Dave finally rose to his feet. The teacher and the children gazed at him with widened eyes. The other female scolded him and then went back into the red pyramid.

Shesha typed into the gadget and held it in front of Eric’s eyes. Eric took a deep breath, embarrassed and not knowing how to cope with the situation. The red pyramid was the birth house where the eggs were brooded and the young ones were born. Eric explained it to Dave and Brandon. The men stared in shock.

Varyuka watched the scene, then stepped forward, placed his hand on Eric’s arm and spoke to his people. The Aryaka calmed down. The female reappeared from the red pyramid, holding a bundle in her arms. Varyuka spoke to her and she came closer. She showed Eric the baby she was carrying, a small naked creature, eyes firmly closed, thin arms and legs stretched from a small body. The skin was pale and the scales were tiny. They had a faint opalescent shimmer. Eric smiled at the female. She made a step back, then turned around and went back into the birth house.

“I apologize on behalf of my crew. I’m very sorry for this unpleasant situation,” Eric said and also typed the words into the gadget.

Shesha read the words to the Aryaka. The Aryaka frowned at Eric but then turned away and left the place. Varyuka, Nahusha and Eric went back into the blue pyramid. Shesha and Vasuki returned to the green pyramid in the sun. Bandon and Dave sat down on a step of a small decayed pyramid that had no apparent function. They waited quietly for Eric’s return.

The sun was already high when the Elder, Nahusha and Eric left the pyramid. The Aryaka left the place and Eric joined Dave and Brandon.

“What did Nahusha tell the Elder and what did the old Aryaka say?” Brandon asked.

“Why did it take so long anyway?” Dave added.

“The talk was difficult because we had to use the translation gadget,” Eric said. “Nahusha asked for the Elder’s help. The Aryaka crew plans to fly to a space hub that is located close to the galactic center. That’s the place where they lived before they were arrested a couple of months ago.”

“Criminals,” Dave snorted. “Exactly what I have thought.”

“Who arrested them and why?” Brandon asked.

“Nahusha didn’t go into the details,” Eric said. “There’s much we don’t know. There are many space stations close to the galactic center. The hubs are gigantic. Many are very old. The central space station is named Izanami. Earth has absolutely no idea of what’s going on in the galaxy. Earth is just a backwater planet. There are many civilizations in space, old civilizations, advanced already when the Earth was a trilobite place. I understood that several parties waged war thousands of years ago. Izanami won and now dominates the galaxy. The Aryaka are a very old species. They never really accepted Izanami’s dominion. Several Aryaka parties joined the enemy force during the war in the past. Smaller groups stand up against Izanami every so often and struggle for more independence.”

“Like Nahusha and his crew?” Brandon asked.

“They planned a fight for more independence but got caught early on, after leaving the hub with their ship. They were taken to the 55 Cancri system,” Eric said. “The Izanami squad threw them out on the planet. They also got rid of the Aryaka ship.”

“They left them there to die on the planet? This is absolutely cruel,” Dave said in shock.

“Why didn’t the Aryaka leave with their ship?” Brandon asked.

“The squad removed the gravitational drive from the ship and deactivated the Aryaka’s neural implants. The Aryaka were left behind on the planet, their implants not working and their ship not capable of warp flight. That’s quite a punishment,” Eric said. “Captives are usually taken to a prison in space. The Aryaka don’t know why, or maybe they didn’t tell me why the squad threw them out on the planet.”

“I see,” Brandon said “Our arrival was a stroke of luck. Our ship is equipped with a gravitational drive. It meant escape for them from the planet. That’s why they’ve captured our ship.”

Eric nodded. “They want a sophisticated ship now in order to get back to their hub close to the galactic center. They asked the Elder for support. Kunjara is an Aryaka dominated planet and there are many more Aryaka outposts in space. The Elder promised to help them. He has wide-spread connections on Kunjara and in space.”

“Help criminals,” Dave said, disgusted.

“They don’t see it this way,” Eric said. “It’s all about balancing scales, whatever this concept really means to them. The Elder promised to help us, too. Another way of balancing scales, he said.”

Dave straightened. “He’ll get a ship for us?” he asked. “He’ll help us get back to Earth?”

“He promised support,” Eric said. “It could simply mean he’ll help us to start a new life on Kunjara.”

Dave’s shoulders slumped.

Eric rose to his feet. “We’re free to move around,” he said. “Let’s see more of this place. Tonight is special. It’s a celebration night or a holiday. The Aryaka sing the Serpent Songs.”

“They sing songs?” Brandon asked. “Strange creatures. Just imagine reptile beings singing songs. Weird picture, isn’t it?”

“Culture,” Eric said. “The Aryaka evolved from reptile beings. They’re an intelligent species. They know music and lore. I understood the Serpent Songs were passed down orally for thousands of years. The history of their species is recorded in the form of verse and song. The songs have long been digitized, but they still add verses to their songs.”

He brushed the dust from his suit. “Humanity also descended from predators and prey. It was all about the daily struggle for survival in the beginning and it hasn’t changed much to the present day. Humanity has developed culture over thousands of years. We don’t descend from singing weasels and bush rats painting a work of art.”

Eric turned around and left the place. Dave and Brandon exchanged a look.

“Patience,” Brandon said. “We need to learn more. We better watch out and keep an eye on everything. It’s good we have the Elder’s support. I’m confident we’ll find a way to arrange a flight back to Earth.”

 

***
Copyright © 2018 Dolores Esteban; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Really enjoyed this chapter; feel as if I understand both groups more after it.  I admire the way that Nahusha handled gaining entrance through the security area.  Eric is adapting to this situation with increasing ease; but I am having issues with Dave, he is really starting to get on my nerves.  Most Americans were considered nothing more than common criminals when they broke away from England by most of the world, the French not withstanding. 

 

Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/23/2018 at 1:55 AM, centexhairysub said:

Really enjoyed this chapter; feel as if I understand both groups more after it.  I admire the way that Nahusha handled gaining entrance through the security area.  Eric is adapting to this situation with increasing ease; but I am having issues with Dave, he is really starting to get on my nerves.  Most Americans were considered nothing more than common criminals when they broke away from England by most of the world, the French not withstanding. 

 

Can't wait to see what happens next.

 

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the chapter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..