Jump to content

Desert Dropping An Ordinary World

   (11 reviews)

Rory's mom just died and soon after the funeral his life is turned upside down when he finds out that his mom has contacted the father that he never knew. Now, he's forced to live in the desert with a family he doesn't know, a father he doesn't want to know, and to top it all off, Rory's gay and no longer has anyone to confide in. Friends will be made and the meaning of family will be found as Rory discovers that everything isn't so bad in the desert.

Copyright © 2010 DomLuka; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (29 members)

  • Action Packed 11
  • Addictive/Pacing 21
  • Characters 29
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 8
  • Compelling 4
  • Feel-Good 4
  • Humor 3
  • Smoldering 8
  • Tearjerker 18
  • Unique 13
  • World Building 5

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

quokka

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Great Story, I really enjoyed it…

Q

  • Love 1
Link to review
Albert1434

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This was a very enjoyable story it made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made very happy!

I am sure you will in enjoy it! I plan on reading more of  DomLuka story's:2thumbs::thankyou:

  • Like 4
Link to review
Pascal

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members
This story is a real rollercoaster. While following Rory feels very frustrating at times, I feel this is one of the very few coming of age stories that actually feels like we’re following a teenager instead of an adult brain inside a teenage body. I enjoyed every single chapter, and every single character, no matter if I liked them or not. Even the "bad guy" was written in a way that made his actions believable! One of the best stories on GA for sure! Thank you DomLuka.
  • Like 4
Link to review
ChillFire

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Desert Dropping is a classic coming-of-age story. And to be bold for a moment: DomLuka's best.

The premise is simple - Rory's mom dies of cancer, and her last wish is for him to be sent to Arizona to live with his dad, whom he has never met before. Plenty of plot twists, surprises, and emotional rollercoasters await.

Admittedly, the lead character, Rory, can be quite infuriating at times (especially in the first half and the penultimate arc). Sometimes you just want to grab him by the shoulders, shake him, and scream "what the hell are you doing!?"... But he does get better, and ends up being quite memorable. The same goes for the other leads - they are all memorable in their own right and I like them all.

Speaking of characters: I felt that Jase ended up a bit underused, though he does get some good screen time during the final arc. While the focus is primarily Rory and Eddie's relationship, I still would've loved to see more scenes with him.

There are some minor formatting errors (particularly around italicized phrases), though I suspect this might be a result of the multiple CMS changes that have occurred since Desert Dropping was first published.

Some thoughts that contain spoilers:

Spoiler

I know a bunch of readers were rooting for Rory and Luke to get together, but I think Dom made the correct choice pairing him with Seth. Rory ending up with Luke would've been quite predictable, and I agree with Luke when he told Rory it would've been weird "because they're supposed to be a family" (paraphrased). At least in my opinion, the story benefitted from the fact that it didn't go down this path. And I'm not just saying that because Seth is my favourite character. *cough*

The chapter Mom in a Box made me tear up. I don't cry often when reading, so that's saying something. Rory's mom left him some amazing gifts.

I really liked how the ending tied up most plot lines. Eddie's car accident was a shock, though! (Can't Rory be happy for a bit first? haha) Seth's support of Rory and his family throughout the entire ordeal was quite admirable. Aaron's tragic character arc made me feel quite bad for him, despite how much of an ass he was throughout the rest of the story. The scene where Eddie/Jase/Luke/Rory confront Mr. Keslin/Aaron in the hospital hallway was especially powerful.

A must read. 5 stars.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Christopher

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

AMAZING! DomLuka does a superb job with character development, storyline, emotional connection, and so much more. Definitely a must read on Gay Authors. 

  • Like 3
Link to review
Polar234

   0 of 14 members found this review helpful 0 / 14 members

All the characters are so unlikable 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 3
Link to review
Higster

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This story was great, the way it starts has you hooked. The continuous changes and developments in both the story and characters will have you wanting to read more and more. The story overall is thoroughly interesting and definitely deserves a read

  • Like 4
Link to review
Sweetlion

   6 of 7 members found this review helpful 6 / 7 members

Good story, but you will need steel nerves in the beginning, some characters are exasperating.

  • Haha 4
Link to review
Azorf

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Twists, turns, pulls at your emotions from all sides. Rollercoaster? Switchback more like! As you exhaustedly crawl through the last sentences of the last chapter you feel like you could do with ...... more.

  • Like 5
Link to review
seaturtleboi

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Out of all of DomLuca's stories (at least that I've read) this one is my favorite. The read was an emotional rollercoaster, and it had me giggling to myself at some moments and crying at others. Beautifully written, and definitely worth reading <3

  • Like 6
Link to review
Dodger

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

This is a wonderful story from a great author. A classic must-read that will have you hooked from the first chapter. The main character, although frustratingly obstinate, has enough quality to keep the reader on his side. One of my favourites.

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..