Jump to content
    DomLuka
  • Author
  • 2,812 Words
  • 14,467 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In the Fishbowl - 32. Epilogue

A/N: Thanks to Jim for editing!

9 months later--December

 

Whassup, Aiden!

I can’t pull whassup off, can I? (Michael says so.) Whatever. Pretend I can. It’s butt cold here. Who the hell created snow, anyway?

Yes, I’m still working for Gordon, why? Awesome Christmas party. That man knows how to throw a party. Besides, he’s F.W.I. (Fun while intoxicated) Came up with that all by myself. It’s true, though. Bet I can make him dress in a pink bunny suit for Easter. What do you think? Maybe you’ll be around to take pictures.

Anyway, Michael says Hi. He thinks it’s taking me too long to write you back, but he’s still cute, I swear. Sending that picture I promised. He likes the whole skateboarding thing, but notice how he can’t stay on it.

Saw Owen yesterday. He’s also cute, but in a much sexier way. You don’t get to be mad about me thinking so--you’re the one who asked. And yes, he’s very excited, and nervous. Do us all a favor and put him out of his misery.

Can’t wait to harass you at the airport, and I’d take offense if anyone else picked you up. Can you believe they gave my ass a driver’s license? Ha Ha. (Laugh will sound much evil-er in person.)
Much love,
Travis

P.S. Michael resents being called cute. (But he is)

Aiden Knightly suppressed a smile as he glanced towards the driver’s seat, finding it hard not to laugh at the way Travis Beltnick made sound effects when he drove... and then there was the way that he pointed at every police vehicle they came across, in a way that suggested he wanted to get pulled over just to show off his newly earned driver’s license--all in a nicer-than-expected Honda.

Aiden glanced back at his bags taking up the back seat, wishing for his camera. It had been a while since he was in the presence of Travis Beltnick and felt the urge to capture all of it. But he supposed he could settle for the letters.

Travis had sent him plenty of letters, starting with the first one that he’d answered for Ryan. A while back Aiden had written everyone, and Travis was one of the few people who’d responded without picking up a phone--and the mail hadn’t even been addressed to him. Aiden still remembered getting that particular letter...

Hey, Aiden, Ryan’s a lazy fuck, and this has been sitting on the table for days, so before I throw it out...

Since then, they’d exchanged almost on a weekly basis, and Aiden enjoyed the back-and-forth’s with the guy in a way that had been altogether unexpected. Travis was always entertaining, and while Aiden had known that before, they’d developed a comfortable friendship through their letters. Besides, Travis was one of the few people he knew willing to spy on Owen Dovan for him.

“Where are we going?” Aiden asked. When he’d mentioned that he would be there after Christmas to celebrate New Year’s, Travis had invited Aiden to stay with him and Ryan. Aiden had accepted, but it wasn’t Ryan and Travis’s apartment that they were turning into, but a familiar grocery store.

“Have to pick up something for dinner,” Travis replied. “Ryan’s at the club. Probably for the rest of the night. Thought we should eat before we head over there. You’re hungry, right?”

“Yeah, sure,” Aiden agreed. He wasn’t really all that hungry. His mom, who’d been making more of an effort on the rare occasions that she was sober, had been making an effort and had practically force-fed him homemade chili that was a little on the overcooked side just before he’d headed off to catch his flight. But he was okay with hanging out with just Travis for a little while. It had been a while since he’d seen everyone, and to be honest with himself, he could wait a few more hours while he worked up his nerve.

So he was content to follow Travis around the empty grocery store while the guy picked up one item after another, regarded it with curious disdain, and then replaced it right back where it had been in the first place. They’d been down three aisles before Aiden realized that Travis’s problem was that he didn’t know how to cook anything he picked up, more than he didn’t know what he wanted to eat, and Aiden had laughed out loud.

"You know, they sell fully cooked chickens here,” Aiden had pointed out.

“Really?”

“You like chicken?” Aiden asked, and then smiled at the optimistic look on Travis’s face. “We’ll get chicken.” Remembering his way around well enough, Aiden nodded for Travis to follow and led the way. “So does Ryan still work here?” Aiden asked while Travis was scrutinizing the rotisserie chicken with as much passion as he had everything else. “I’ve hardly heard from him.”

Travis shrugged. “Don’t think so. Last I heard his mom didn’t want him doing anything since he started up school full-time again.”

Aiden raised an eyebrow. “Last you heard?”

Travis smiled sheepishly. “Haven’t been home much.”

Aiden rolled his eyes, thinking that maybe not so much had changed, after all. Travis finally picked a chicken and they turned into another aisle when Aiden suggested a small container of potato salad--Travis had seemed pleased over the input--and quickly started chatting him up about how things had been at the club as they were on their way, dropping hints about Owen acting like a loner whenever the chance presented itself.

They reached the coolers, and Travis took his time debating over potato salad vs. pasta salad when Aiden finally picked one up, claiming his selection was the best there was, and then they’d both looked up to find Dennis Gordon scowling at them.

Home for fifteen minutes and old habits still died hard. According to Reilly’s letters, Dennis had moved out of their house some time ago, but they still had dinners together every so often. But still, Aiden couldn’t quite figure out what anyone saw in the guy. Even Owen. Dennis had never liked Aiden, so in return, Aiden had never liked Dennis. But then, Aiden had to admit that if it wasn’t for this particular asshole, it might have taken him much longer to ever befriend Owen Dovan, so even Dennis seemed to have his purposes. Dennis picking a fight with him back in high school was what first brought Owen into his life, and Aiden wouldn’t want to trade that for anything. But still...

Aiden frowned at the way Travis frowned at Dennis--how Dennis lifted an almost challenging eyebrow--and when Travis lifted himself onto his toes...well, it kind of looked like he was attempting to snoop out the contents of Dennis’s grocery basket,and even stranger, Dennis purposely blocked his view and demanded, “What are you doing here?”

“Free country,” Travis said defensively, shoving his basket into Aiden’s hands and stepping in front of it, as if they had something to hide.

Aiden frowned, looking between them. “Aren’t you two friends?”

Travis gave Aiden a shove ahead, past Dennis. “He’s not friendly with anyone. I think people with that kind of problem seriously need something up their ass, not out of it.”

Aiden rolled his eyes and found it hard not to laugh at the perplexed and not altogether un-offended look on Dennis’s face as they passed by him. “What’s going on with him?” Aiden asked when they were past earshot, but just as quickly said, “What are you doing?” around the time Travis started emptying out their basket, leaving everything in the cereal aisle.

“I think maybe we should get something like bacon instead. Orange juice... you like bacon?”

Aiden raised an eyebrow. “For breakfast. What...?”

“Bacon it is,” Travis insisted, turning the cart around.

Aiden shook his head, deciding not to complain as they went shopping all over again. Once they were in the car and on their way again, he listened to Travis update him on the people who he still considered to be his closest friends, but he was only half paying attention as he closed his eyes sleepily and felt a small, cool metal object against the palm of his hand. Aiden lifted the silver-colored key, his mind wandering despite how hard Travis could be to ignore.

Aiden,

He could almost hear Owen saying his name. Every time he read a letter from the blond. Repeatedly. Just like the last one.

I told Tony you’d be back in town. Don’t freak out when he starts stalking you. I guess he’s still mad about you leaving without seeing him first, but he’ll get over it. Will you be here for New Year’s, too? That would be cool. Wish you would have been here for Christmas. I could have used someone around for moral support. You know how Tony and Jake are disgusting? Multiply that by the biggest number that comes to mind and you have Lacy and Chris. It’s like they think no one knows they’re together and I can’t figure out if they’re trying to hide it or rub it in everyone’s face. No wonder I moved out.

Surprise, huh? I wanted to tell you the last time we talked on the phone. I found a townhouse over by the park. You know the ugly blue ones we always thought were apartments? They’re not so bad inside. Two rooms, two bathrooms... you know, two bathrooms doesn’t make a lot of sense when you live by yourself, a whole lot more to clean. But I like it. I installed a fire alarm today, and Jake is helping me rip out the carpet in the master bedroom tomorrow. You really don’t want to know why.

Anyways, Ryan’s mom just adopted this kitten she’s allergic to. It’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. You’d probably think it’s cute. You’re still into cats, right? I’m asking because Ryan wants me to adopt it. They’re calling it Powder Puff. That name has to go. So I was thinking that you could think of something... if you want to. Notice I sent you a key?

I know we haven’t talked about it in a while. But I need you to know something. Remember the last time you called? When your mom was passed out on your couch? I was on a date. Sad, right? We talked for over two hours. Yes, obviously I got ditched. I don’t care, either, because I would have rather listened to your problems than get laid. See where I’m going here?

When you come home, I want you to use the key. But here’s the catch. I don’t want you to use it just once. I want you to pack up and move home. Seriously, I’m talking about if you use that key you’re not going back. You’ll have to deal with me driving all the way back to your place with you to pack up your stuff, or you’ll just have to abandon it and deal with mine. If you’re back, you have to stay back. You can’t leave. You don’t get to do that again. And I don’t get to make you want to. I never should have in the first place.

I know it’s a little too late for us to start over, but I want to try for where we left off, with me being less of an asshole about things. I do trust you. I think you’ve been waiting to hear that. I love you, too, but I guess that was never the problem.

I want you to use that key.

I understand if you don’t. I won’t hold it against you, but it’ll hurt like hell. So there, I said it. I want you back. Up to you. If you have something to say about it I’m at the club just about every night these days, but I hope to see you at home.

Love, Owen

“Travis?”Aiden cut him off mid-sentence as he said something about Ryan wanting to grow tomatoes and other things in his mom’s back yard.

“Yeah?”

Aiden looked out the window, his hand on the key as he sat up. “Is that building new?”

Travis smiled. “No... actually, I wasn’t going to take you back home to eat... I was sort of thinking we could stop in on a friend of mine.”

Aiden smiled, seemingly unconcerned, but he let out a breath. “Actually, I was wondering if you knew where Owen lived. He moved, right?”

“Yeah,” Travis replied, pointing with his thumb in the opposite direction. “Helped him move. He told you, huh? Nice place.”

Aiden smiled. “Really? He’s happy with it?”

Travis cut Aiden a sly look. “Bet I know what would make him even happier.”

Aiden blushed, a reaction he hadn’t experienced since the last time he’d been around Travis Beltnick. “You know, you’re my favorite pen pal.”

Travis grinned, boyish features coming into full effect. “Really? Pen pal. Cool.”

Aiden laughed. “But I don’t write people I see on a daily basis.”

Travis grew serious. “You could live next door and not see me on a daily basis. Swear it.”

“That works... So do you mind if I skip this dinner?”

Travis raised an eyebrow. “What did you have in mind?”

“I was thinking... you could show me where Owen lives.”
..................

Annoyed by the way the plastic grocery bag was already tearing, Travis scooped the contents up out of his arm and forced the door to the apartment open half with his hip, half with his knee, and less than gracefully stumbled inside. The scent of bacon and waffles instantly assaulted his nostrils and perturbed, he scrambled to the kitchen, his eyes narrowing on the meat in the frying pan. “Asshole!” he remarked. “You got bacon? I got bacon!” he insistently held up the torn bag and all but growled when the contents fell and scattered at his feet, drawing a small black dog’s attention.

Moving past him with a spatula to stir the food, Dennis laughed. “I figured you’d be thinking sausage.”

“I was thinking chicken,” Travis complained, no longer sounding bitter. “Didn’t I tell you I was picking up dinner?”

Dennis cut a glance at him. “You were late. I was hungry.”

“I’m sure you think that makes sense, but I said....”

Dennis cut Travis off when his mouth moved over his. Pulling back, his green eyes passed Travis, moving cautiously over the apartment. “We’re having breakfast for dinner. Deal with it... I thought you said you were bringing Aiden with you. What happened?”

Travis smiled, wanting to go back to the way Dennis had kissed him as he wrapped his arms casually around Dennis’s waist. “He had a better offer. Breakfast for dinner?”

“Good. And yes.”

Travis rolled his eyes as he released him to check on the goldfish on the kitchen table, drifting in its small bowl. He dropped it a few flakes of food, amused by how eager the thing was for it. Someone had finally trusted Travis with a pet. At least, it seemed that way when Kyle had shown up with the thing floating in a glass, ranting about how Ryan and Nicky were drunk when they knocked over his tank and this was the only survivor. He’d found it fitting to give it to Travis. Not understanding, Travis had rolled his eyes, accepted the gift, and had brought it straight to Dennis.

“What do you have against Aiden, anyway?” Travis asked, returning to him to look over his shoulder and scowl when Dennis didn’t allow him to pick food out of the pan.

Dennis narrowed his eyes. “I don’t have anything against him. Except, he breathes.” Dennis passed Travis the spatula. “Here. Take over. I want a shower.”

Travis took the utensil before he registered those words, and found himself suddenly torn between food and Dennis, who was already taking off his shirt, halfway through the kitchen.

“Did I mention you’re an asshole?” Travis called after him.

Dennis smirked over his shoulder. “I said take over. I didn’t say keep cooking.”

“Dinner can wait?” Travis asked, optimistic.

Travis was already reaching to turn off the burners. Dennis laughed. “Like I’d trust you to cook.”

Good point, Travis mused, already following Dennis. “I hope you’re not working tomorrow. You’re about to be very tired.”

“Don’t threaten me.”

“I always make good on my threats,” Travis reminded.

Dennis raised an eyebrow. “And when you said you were going to get the rest of your stuff over here?”

“Hey, I was trying not to skip out on a friend. And I don’t have anything left over at Ryan’s. Nicky’s using my bed, and my toothbrush is in my backpack.”

“You gave your bed to Nicky?”

Travis grinned. “So? I like sleeping in yours a lot better.”

Copyright © 2010 DomLuka; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Must be the umpteenth time i'm reading this and still love it.Love the approach you took on writing out the romance between Dennis and Travis-you gave just the basic details but it was representative of their relationship and how it was no ones business but their own and you still had me hooked on every single word :worship: .Loved it all!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

WOW! What a great story. Excellent writing. I have never reread anything on this site, but I will read this again. Thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Way up there guy. This will definitely be a re-read. Loved Dennis and Travis's story, but have to be sappy and say that I held my breath about Aiden and Owen's ending, and you did not disappoint. Your emotion in your writing keeps me coming back for more. Thank you for sharing a great story!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This your only story that I read for more than one month. I've been reading this story for close to three months now, not because the story is bad, but because it demands thorough reading to read between the lines and really understand. I was scared for Owen's relationship, but somehow I understood because I see it happening with me...

Anyway, this is another good work. Not my best (The Other Side of Me is still my best), but still up there with the others:)

P.S. I don't know why I'm writing this, you obviously don't care about it. But I just wanted to get it out there...*shrug*

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Once the first chapters were out of the way (it took a while for me to warm up, since it's been a long while since I read the first part), this story kept me in its hold till the very end. I was especially surprised by the way the hopeless Gordon family started to make some sense, even John Gordon seeming sympathetic at times. Dennis, the horror guy of part 1, became one of the favourites in part 2. But I suppose out of all these guys, I'd date Travis, that guy has lots of appeal. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment

after every story I've read from you I kept thinking this can't get any better. Well I was wrong. This has been a blast =)

Loved every word of it.

Maybe someday there will be a book 3 in this series ;-) I sure as hell would read it!!

 

Thanks so much for all the effort this must have taken! I appreciate it big times!!!

 

bye =)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I mentioned in another chapter review that this is the second time I have read this series. I love everything you have posted here, by the way. I just want to thank you for this excellent work. This is PRIME material! . . . Just excellent!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Dancing around in glee now that all my guys have happy endings. This was a perfect way to wrap up an awesome story, playful and hopeful. Thank you for righting the universe and brining Aiden back to Owen.

You rock DomLuka!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Sigh. Im kind of sad its over. That was an amazing story and I loved every chapter. Travis was it for me, but I did appreciate Owen and Aiden reuniting. Thanks for this awesome story, sadly its the last of your stuff so far having already read everything else. Im hoping you will get back into it and write more, you have a gift that shouldnt be wasted. 

Link to comment

Read this years ago, back when the Long Way was posted as the Log Way. By far my favorite story on this site. Never liked Owen and Aiden as the protagonists, so I was very happy that the story centered on Travis and Dennis. Travis is one of the best written characters with a ton of faults but enjoyable to read. Not sure why DomLuka vanished, hopefully he's making a living writing under his real name. At least thats my version of events.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..