Jump to content
    Don H
  • Author
  • 629 Words
  • 12,245 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Working It Out Part 1 - 13. Epilogue

The following school year was a blur for Matt, beleaguered with his studies and with the constant care of his boys. It hadn't been much easier for Mike, who made sure that the few spare hours he had were filled so that he wouldn't have to dwell on the fact that he was very much alone.

Matt called Mike at least once a week to talk, and although their relationship had healed to some extent and their conversations were easier, Mike still resisted Matt's requests to come to Chicago for a visit. Mike just didn't feel he was ready at this juncture for Matt in person, one-on-one.

That May, one week to the day after Matt and Mike had last talked on the phone, Mike was leaving his condo at 8 a.m. on a Saturday to take Breakers for a walk. Just as he emerged from the building's front door, a black airport limo pulled into the circular driveway, and a back door popped open.

Matt stepped out with a two-year old twin boy attached to each hand and a diaper bag around his neck. He started up the walk, the boys toddling along and looking around curiously at new surroundings. They were little blond Matts, dressed in matching playsuits.

Mike halted in his tracks. Without warning, tears began pouring from his eyes, almost blinding him.

The three of them stood in front of Mike, and Matt said to the boys, "Matt and Mike, this is your Uncle Michael."

Mike slowly knelt to look at his nephews, and seeing them, felt the protective covering he had so carefully molded around his heart tear open a bit. It hurt. He hurt, and he was fearful of his own emotions.

Mike stood and looked Matt in the eye.

"You really are a prick, coming here with the boys like this."

"'Manipulative prick' may be more accurate, but I can't help it," Matt said.

"What do you want from me?"

"Long story short? I want you to help me raise these boys. I want to be with you. And if you make me pay every day of my life for the rest of my life for the decisions I've made, I still want those days to be with you, because I love you."

Everything seemed frozen in time. Thought and movement only slowly resumed their course.

Contemplating the little boys' beautiful faces, and taking a painful first step to fully re-engaging with life as he knew it could be, Mike remembered again Matt's laughing comment years ago as they had wrestled with each other in their parents' laundry room: "Mike, it's supposed to hurt."

Finally, Mike sighed deeply in acquiescence as the last vestiges of his anger and resistance melted, and handing Breakers' leash to Matt, he bent down and scooped the two boys up into his arms.

"Let's go inside," he said quietly. "We have a lot to work out."

END

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank those of you who have followed Working It Out from the beginning, and particularly for the several thousand commendatory emails I have received since first starting to post this effort on Nifty. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing this story, and have grown very fond of the characters. I apologize to those who asked to be notified by email as new parts were posted, and heard nothing. I'm writing from a new computer due to having incurred a nasty virus on the old machine, and unfortunately, your addresses were lost. Thanks as well to the Nifty Archivist for his patience in posting revisions to each part as I've made them. After a suitable vacation from the keyboard, I hope to do some additional writing in the future.
© 2000 Don Hanratty. Contact me at dhan@elnet.com.

©Copyright 1999-2000 Don Hanratty; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 46
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WoW...

 

Loved this story! I have never cried so much reading a masterful piece of fiction,

excellent work, well written, well thought out concept, five stars all the way...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Sorry to say this, but there is no emotion in this story.

The story in words may/could be interesting, but i could not feel the characters.

After chapter 3 i lost interest and the reading of the story took longer and longer.

The story could be better .... it is not a "must read".

  • Like 1
  • Angry 3
Link to comment

Ignore the hater. They quit before they got to the meat of this story. This is my absolute FAVORITE family story in all of the internet. Thank you for sharing it with us. It absolutely deserves to be sticky'd.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Absolutely beautiful story. Loved the mixture of faith, love,sex, and above all the friendship that all the characters cultivated. Can't wait to read the next part. Thank u for such a wonderful story.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thank you for the beautiful story. It wasn't a mushy goody goody happy story. There was a lot of heartbreak in it , some surprising turns. Other than the breakup and yes in the long run it did turn out maybe not for the best since Sarah did lose her life and both men had to deal with a lot of pain. But there is now another Matt and Mike in the family and hopefully the two men can overcome pains do get and stay together. Am really looking forward to book 2.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Such a wonderful story. Matt and Mike both go through so much. And I cried so many times while reading and laughed too.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I loved this story and the second read was even better. The way the two mc's overcame challenges was amazing and the family life promoted by the parents was an inspiration. Well done. Definitely five stars!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I just finished reading the whole wonderful story. It's a pity you haven't gone with it much longer... Anyway, thank you very much for it!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm so frustrated with Matt I don't even want him and Mike back together. It's not fair for Mike, he suddenly becomes Matt's backup plan. Why did Matt choose Sarah? Why did Sarah have to die? The last two chapters seem like a different story.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I couldn't be  anyone's second choice. He chose Sarah over Mike. There would have been no coming back from that, at least for me.

Edited by Mike00
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Had Matt talked with Mike and expressed his desire for kids surely they could have found a surrogate or adopted. I can't imagine how poor Mike is going to cope with the possibility of rebuilding his life in these circumstances. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Matt comes across as a self-absorbed, self-centered arrogant prick. In fact this character is perfect being an attorney. He goes after what he wants to the exclusion of everyone else even if that includes having a couple of boys to carry on his family name.

What would it take for me to go back to him?

It would start with Matt agreeing to lock his dick in a chastity cage 24x7 with Mike retaining sole possession of the keys.

I'm not sure if I could ever trust him with my heart again so there would have to be some major personal concessions and I'm not even sure what those could be to satisfy me.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is my fourth round reading your series! I love the development, characters, and the bonds you've created!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Chuckle, chuckle, on one side of the coin it is a small victory to have been right in my prediction for the outcome of this story -- on the obverse, it makes me sad to have been right. I have over the years authored many stories based on my worldwide travels and the people I have met. Unfortunately, all these do is sit in the memory of my computer because I am too lazy, old or disillusioned to take them any further. I am very much of a hack writer, preferring, as I have said elsewhere in GA to be the troll that hides under the bridge nipping at the bare toes of the writers as they cross over. I suppose after I die -- which at my present age of 85, might not be many more years -- someone may find these tales in my computer and do something with editing, combining and publishing them. I can only hope that will come about. OK, enough hand-wringing and sniveling, I am sorry to see this series end, but cannot express loudly enough nor often enough my congratulations on your writing skills.

Will H.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was a great story and shows the grand scope of human emotions and the ability of humans to hurt the ones they love and help and love the ones they love and ultimately forgive and let love triumph over sadness and hurt. Love never hurts nor is it puffed up,pridefull or arrogant.

   There is one paragraph towards the end where you mix up Matt and Mike in the same paragraph.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

After reading this story again many years later, I don't think it had the same impact on me as when it was first serialized on Nifty.  The jokes still made me groan, but this time around it seemed the plot was a bit shop worn.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is a wonder filled story with many emotional twists and turns much like a roller coaster ride. The are many side issues addressed as well which act out as if it is real life..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was recommended in the recent email. It was a fun read but the ending is quite disappointing. It basically killed both characters twice. Like a double jeopardy, chap 12 and the epilogue 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Reed1101 said:

This was recommended in the recent email. It was a fun read but the ending is quite disappointing. It basically killed both characters twice. Like a double jeopardy, chap 12 and the epilogue 

If you search by author there are two other stories in the series. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, mfa607 said:

If you search by author there are two other stories in the series. 

I wasn’t expecting there’s book 2 and 3. If anyone wants to read them it’s probably those who wanted the relationship to really worked out and there are those who thinks book 1 (epilogue) is suffice to point that out. I’m with the latter.

The only thing I appreciate on book 2 (only read upto few chapters ahead a think and skipped book 3 almost entirely only to scan through on the last chapter) was the first chapter where Mike shared about how much Matt had hurt him. And even then felt frustrated that the author decided to force the relationship as it is. There’s no beauty in that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..