Jump to content
    Frostina
  • Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 1,287 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trying to... - 8. Trying to Familiarise

Prompt #10

Under a canopy of fluorescing stars that were all too quick to fade, Tyler kissed his daughter’s forehead. And, with a whispered, ‘Sweet Dreams, Fair Princess,’ he went to bed.

* * *

‘Good morning, honey.’ Tyler smiled at the lone figure sitting in the kitchen.

‘How? It’s raining.’ She sighed, taking a long swig of milk.

Tyler laughed at the pout on Eli’s face. It was on mornings like these that he found it hard to believe she was twelve already.

‘Cheer up, we have time.’ He walked over to the fridge, ‘What do you want for breakfast?’

‘Whatever,’ she shrugged. ‘Scott should be here any moment. What can we do on a rainy day?’

‘It’s not a rainy day, Eli,’ Tyler decided to go for simple pancakes that morning. ‘Just wait a bit, it’s not even that cloudy out.’

‘Fingers crossed, dad.’

* * *

‘What about we go to the Water Park?’

‘Yes!’

Scott’s suggestion lit up Eli’s face and they looked up at Tyler with matching grins on their faces.

‘That should be fun!’ Tyler had to agree. ‘If it stops raining, we can decide what to do for later.’

‘Cool! I’ll go get changed!’ Eli bounded away to her room.

‘Thanks for letting me tag along, Ty.’ Scott smiled at Tyler.

‘Don’t say that, I wanted to spend time with you.’ Tyler smiled at Scott, his smile trying to convey the unsaid words. ‘Besides, I thought you’d want to get to know Eli.’

‘I’d like that,’ Scott walked over to Tyler. ‘Do you have a pair of shorts I could borrow? I really don’t want to go back to the apartment to get one.’

‘I think so,’ Tyler took Scott by the hand and led him to his room.

 

* * *

‘Please give me the camera, let me take few pictures. Sheesh, I am not going to drop it, dad!’

‘I didn’t say that, Eli!’ Tyler laughed as he saw his daughter roll her eyes for added effect. ‘It’s just too complicated,’ Tyler was terrified of handing over his camera to her. There was a reason why he didn’t get it out often, and this day just reminded him why. He hated it when people wanted to “see” it; it was his baby and not many understood it; he wasn’t about to let just anyone mess it up. But, this was Eli, and today was a special day. Did he really want to spoil the perfect day worrying about his camera?

‘DAD!’ She turned and took off towards the parking lot.

Tyler flinched at the anger in her voice, as just stared at Eli’s retreating back. He looked at Scott walking beside him and shrugged.

‘I haven’t ever let anyone touch it. It’s too...’

‘Special?’ Scott offered when Tyler trailed off.

‘Expensive!’ He laughed, trying to hide the bitterness in his voice, but not quite managing it.

‘What do you say we buy a regular camera for Eli?’ Scott nudged Tyler with his shoulder.

‘You think it’s a good idea?’Tyler wondered why he hadn’t thought of that before. ‘You think she’s interested in photography?’

‘She doesn’t have to be, Ty. You know girls that age. They like to try out new things, but from what I saw today, I think she genuinely likes it. It would definitely be a good idea, and,’ Scott turned to look at Tyler before they entered the parking lot. ‘You should explain it to her why you didn’t quite hand her your camera. Something more sensible than, “complicated”.’

‘Yeah, you’re right.’ Tyler sighed and walked over to his petulant daughter, sitting over the hood of the car.

‘I’m sorry, honey.’

Silence.

‘Look, I should have explained this better.’ Tyler sat next to his daughter, their shoulders almost touching. When she didn’t move away, he took that as a good sign and carried on. ‘It’s just that, this camera is a little too expensive, and has been messed with a bit too many times. I am not saying that you’ll mess it up,’ he said hurriedly as he saw her attempt to interrupt. ‘It’s just that it’s screwed up already, and I like it that way.’

Her narrowed eyes didn’t give him much confidence, but he knew he had to go on.

‘How would you like a camera for yourself?’

Eli’s eyes widened, ‘Really?’

‘M-hmm. A simple one, of course.’ Tyler nudged her arm and smiled.

‘Of course.’ She jumped up with a smile and hugged Tyler. ‘I should thank Scott, right?’

At Tyler’s nod she ran to Scott, who was discreetly trying to stay out of hearing range, and hugged him equally enthusiastically.

‘Thank you!’

‘What for?’ Scott looked over towards Tyler.

‘The camera,’ Eli smiled, ‘we both know Dad wouldn’t have come up with that one by himself.’

‘Should we head to the shopping centre then?’ Tyler piped in, walking up to the grinning pair.

‘Yay!’ Eli bounded off to the car.

‘Do you want me to come too?’ Scott’s voice was soft near Tyler’s ear.

‘Huh?’ Tyler looked at Scott with a puzzled expression. ‘What do you mean?’

‘It’s a family moment,’ Scott shrugged, ‘I wouldn’t want to—’

The rest of Scott’s sentence was muffled in Tyler’s shirt at the taller man enveloped him in a hug.

‘The whole day was one, Scott. This would just be the perfect ending.’ Tyler led Scott to the car by the hand, where Eli was waiting a bit too patiently.

‘What’re our plans now, dad?’ Eli quipped from the back seat as they started off.

‘First we get the camera and then maybe dinner?’ Tyler replied, casting a quick glance at the rearview mirror, then at the man sitting next to him.

Scott nodded.

‘Dinner?’ Eli smiled, ‘Just the two of you, or am I also included in the date?’

Scott and Tyler looked at each other, their mouths open; Eli’s reaction to Tyler’s shocked expression was a wink when their eyes met.

 

Discuss the Story

Feedback? comments? pointers? Do leave a line or two! :) Thanks!
Copyright © 2011 Frostina; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well at least one of the three of them have some sense. Thank God for Eli or they might never do anything. I just hope she doesn't have to lock them up in the bedroom and head out of the apartment.

Link to comment
On 07/28/2011 10:47 PM, comicfan said:
Well at least one of the three of them have some sense. Thank God for Eli or they might never do anything. I just hope she doesn't have to lock them up in the bedroom and head out of the apartment.
;) lets wait and see... Shall we? :P
Link to comment

Good thing Scott is entering this family, Eli's 12y.o. and doesnt have a camera? what kid doesnt have a cheap digital camera? Ty is a little too protective sometimes so hopefully Scott will balance him out. What a fun family day! More More More! :P

 

 

Link to comment
On 07/29/2011 07:14 AM, K.C. said:
Good thing Scott is entering this family, Eli's 12y.o. and doesnt have a camera? what kid doesnt have a cheap digital camera? Ty is a little too protective sometimes so hopefully Scott will balance him out. What a fun family day! More More More! :P

 

lol, ah well. I was thinking that Eli wasn't REALLY interested in a camera! lol it was, as usual, a whimsy! :) but, it worked out well... sorta! Thanks for the review! Things get interesting with the camera! :D
Link to comment
On 07/30/2011 04:27 AM, carringtonrj said:
Sweet. Nice to see things going well. You're not going to do mean things to them now, are you?
0:) i dont know what you mean! All depends on the prompts i get to work with! ;) thanks for the R&R!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..