Jump to content
    FSELL
  • Author
  • 7,726 Words
  • 4,026 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jamie - The Journey Begins - 7. It's time, Sam and the BBQ

A whole world of fun at the BBQ goodbye. And some honest moments for Jamie too.

I quickly stopped at home, ran in the side door of the house and straight into the office. Breathlessly, I grabbed the folder of information - it was pretty much a brief of evidence, years of training for the old man is hard to break free of. The brief that dad had assembled for me was quite in-depth, from property prices in the area and surrounding districts thru to tax claim rates for investment properties or primary residence bought off the plan.

Dad had highlighted sections with sticky tags and ten gone to town on those pages with the highlighter pens. “Hmmm, Dad… nice.” There were substantial stamp duty and tax savings to be had, even including housing loan rates, fundable amounts for first home owners, scheme and repayment rates vs rental returns for a second property.

While driving home, Adam had messaged me the address of the lots that were being developed and asked that I meet him there. Apparently, there was a small café around the corner we could go to afterward.

Doing a double check and visual sweep almost like a ‘job size up', I checked the office desk to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Crap I needed to get a wriggle on as Adam already texted me the address and I was super late.

Hate being late for stuff - it throws me off a bit – but I’m not all OCD over it, just prefer not to be late. Ok, Jamie, you're going around in circles now. Get out the door buddy.

Bolting out the side door of the house and jumping down the steps along the pathway to my truck, I skidded to a stop, grabbing the door handle of my truck and reefing the door open.

In and seatbelt on in race car speeds, I fired up the Sat Nav on the Truck. It was way faster to use the voice command on the truck than try to type it in. Also helped me get going a fuck of a lot faster. I was offering in the instructions to it in my best parade ground voice and had the address loaded up into the Sat Nav before I’d cleared our block.

The address Adam sent me wasn’t too far from Mom and Dad’s place. I should only be 10 minutes tops, even with traffic.

I was just getting into a new song by ‘Vance Joy’ when the Sat Nav gave me the "destination reached", so I pulled over to the curb, amongst all these vacant lots and half-demolished buildings. Adam’s company must have bought the old factory that was here. It took up an entire end of a block, having three street frontages. Wow it was a massive bit of land here!

Several farms were being subdivided into housing and lots of folks were getting pissed about it. They were much happier when industrial or poorly used land was repurposed - fair enough, too, I guess.

Looking down the street thirty yards, there he was - Adam Yates (Ads) who was leaning against his car talking to someone on his cell when he spotted me and waved. Fuck me - he hasn’t aged at all! In fact, he's got hotter - damn!!

I slipped the truck into park and jumped out, walking up to Adam with a huge smile. It was great to see my favorite college buddy again.

Adam was waving to me to come over while he was finishing up his call. “Fuck, Jamie, where did all the muscles come from? You’re ripped-and-a-half now buddy, shit!” He let out a laugh.

“You’re not looking too bad at all Ads. Seems post-college has been good to us both."

“Yeah but, damn, look at you...” Adam, waved his hands up and down in front of me, then patted my chest and abs. “Whoa… abs of steel, Spence!”

We both started laughing at each other, then embraced in a hug.

“It’s been too long Jamie, too long buddy, since we caught up. You kind of dropped off the radar for a while. Was it that crazy bitch you were married to? Kept you locked up or something?”

“Yeah, something like that,” I was feeling somewhere between a deer in the headlights and very self-conscious that someone else could see what shit my ex had been doing to me on a subconscious level.

"Anyway, Ads, tell me about these townhouses and apartments you’re building.”

Looking around us, it was a beautiful location, slightly elevated so you’d get a nice sunrise, sunset depending which way you faced.

“I like the location, Ads.”

Ads smiled a huge smile. He always had a sexy smile - it got him into and out of a load to trouble at college. I tried in vain to learn the ways, but was never as smooth as Adam.

"Well, I got wind that the old stock feeds factory was closing down. The family had sold the business to some multinationals, name only, but kept the landholding. The factory’s new owners decided they wanted to build new facility over near the highway.

“So, I took a chance and called old Ma and Pa Owens, negotiated to buy the land from them for this really cool development. They liked the concept and eco-features and bang, signed the contract of sale, even gave me a few extra weeks to get the funding in place.

“I think they’re sitting pretty with the sale of this business, so I think cash is not a problem, but they made me pay a good price though - got most of my family to help fund the land purchase to keep the borrowing costs down, so a greater return and profit for all.”

“I’m impressed, Ads. So, do you have any plans or site layouts? What’s the cool development you’re thinking of? I can feel my inner engineering nerd on the rise.”

“Yeah, sure… love it, Jamie. You know the parents and family just glaze over when I start going into the details."

We both laughed at Adam’s admission of us still being engineering super-nerds.

“I’ve used all that time in college, well, when I wasn’t trying to get into someone’s pants, even yours too, Jamie, to good use.”

I shot Adam a sneaky grin. "Well, you were always good at practical applications, Adam. If I remember, your solutions to friction and lubrication were... fun".

“Prac was ok, I guess,” Adams face flushed bright red. “Still remember the look on your face in the lockers the first time, huh.”

“Oh yeah, you hated class so much, Ads, didn’t you… not! I still don't know how you did so well in your grades. If you weren’t trying to get it on with someone in the lectures, you were swinging that meat bat of yours around in the lockers, trying to get me. Almost took my eye out.”

“I call bullshit, Jamie. You had the locker next to me all the way through college, huh, and a fireman now. So, you finally get to use that hose for another purpose, not just scaring people with the size of it, and you never complained, not once buddy. “Adam poked my chest with his finger in a playful way. “Damn Jamie, you’re like all muscle and hard still. Come on - give us a look with the shirt off for old time’s sakes.”

Again, with the red face, “Ads, focus on the buildings.”

“No fun.”

Tilting his head to the side and smiling, he continued, “Amazing how it happened really… the locker placement and all, you know, all the way through college.”

I just grinned back at him, holding my hands up in fake surrender. “Ok, show me your goods, and not the ones in your pants either - the plans, Adam.”

Smiling, Adam turned and opened the back door of his car. “The site recycles all its runoff water in underground tanks throughout the site, plus there will be six large solar arrays on the roof of the low-rise apartment blocks,” he said, pointing to the location of the tanks and solar sections on the plans.

The look of sheer pleasure on Adam’s face was exactly what I was feeling listening to him. This was awesome - I've missed engineering so much. Maybe I should look at getting into the systems side of things at work - can get off the fire-line…hmm…

“Oh, Jamie, you're going to love this, almost as much as looking at me, well you know, in the lockers,” he continued with a wiggle of his eyebrows. I couldn’t help but laugh. “Meat-bat, I think, was the term I gave it.”

“There will be a battery storage for the power excess generated to reduce the power drawn from the grid after sunset or cloudy days.”

“Jamie?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you getting hard, you’ve got that look in your eyes you get before…”

Now it was my turn to flush bright red. "Shut up and tell me about this solar stuff and stop looking at my crotch."

My mind flashed back to college when Adam would walk around our dorm, with just his briefs on if I was lucky, or just socks. I never got it - he could have his cock swinging around like an elephant's trunk, even in winter. But Adam had to wear socks. Didn't like having cold toes. I was forever telling him to put clothes on, but the view was fucking hot though.

“Earth to Jamie, were you thinking about me naked again, you licked your lips?”

“Adam!”

“Okay, okay. Each apartment will have solar-boosted hot water and thermal heating, living filter gardens that run through the core of the site, even the stormwater, and general runoff flows into the small lakes, here and here." Ads pointed out...

His face was all lit up like I was looking at his baby, Oh my god we are such nerds when it comes to this stuff.

“Jamie, the sweetest part is the filtration is achieved through the specially planted out beds, then into an osmosis filter system. The end result is water that is safe to drink before it goes through an ozone plant to meet world health standards, then it is stored and pumped throughout the site for secondary use, like the toilet, laundry and all garden watering, carwash etc, plus encourages native wildlife and fauna"

“With all that filtration you should be able to drink that water, Ads, yeah?” I had to admit it, I was getting hard now. Slightly adjusting myself, I continued, “This is just awesome!”

“Adam, you’ve thought of everything for all different uses and reuse of natural resources on the site. It brilliant, mate!”

I leaned in and hugged him side on. Ads looked me in the eye. He was in heaven. I think it was the first time anyone had listened to the entire workup of the site and understood it. God, I was astonished.

“I was right! You’re adjusting that hard-on you’ve got.”

I looked down at Adam’s crotch. I wasn’t the only one that was turned on. Was it the engineering or the trips we were both making down memory lane, or both?

I let out a laugh, “shut-up and keep talking.”

Adam laughed it off and pulled out drawings for the site showing the apartments and townhouse floor plans while running me through the whole engineering spec. I was impressed. They were great looking too - timeless, a modern take on a rural look, all with a slanted color-bond roofing, with the orientation to maximize natural heating and cooling, sunlight and even a common water gardens, underground parking. It was brilliant.

We chatted about the expected costs, plus the plan to meter the water and power captured and reused or made available to the individual apartments and townhouses, saving owners a bucket load on utilities just based on today’s costs. I was sold on it.

“Love it, Ads,” I commented as I put my hand across his back onto his shoulder. We packed up all the drawings and technical sheets he’d dragged out and decided to head over to the café around the corner where we could talk turkey.

A long story short, and a few coffees later. I ended up signing up three properties - a townhouse to live in and two apartments for investment rentals. Adam cut me a huge deal on the prices, so I was able to afford the third property. With the stamp duty savings as well, it was a sweet deal.

We chatted on for about an hour, Adam’s phone just kept ringing. He’d ignored it for a while, but clearly he was wanted. I kept telling him to answer his cell, but no, we hadn't seen each other for years, so a little time off was ok he kept saying, but clearly he was getting uncomfortable with the number of missed calls.

Adam paid the check at the café and we ducked back out towards our cars.

I was a little taken back when Adam stopped and wrapped me up in a huge hug.

“It’s so nice to see you again buddy. I hope we can catch up soon, not years ok?”

"Sure, Ads. I'm going away for a holiday soon. Am going to have a BBQ at Mom and Dad’s. I'll send you an invite so you can catch up. The folks would love to see you again."

“Sure, love to, Jamie.”

I walked back to my truck and jumped in. Adam had his cell stuck to his head. Deep in conversation, as he was about to get into his car, he stopped for a second, and waved to me, flashing that huge smile. He's a fantastic guy.

When I told Mom and Dad later that night about the project and the infrastructure they were building in, the old man’s face lit up too. He was a bit of an engineering nut, not as bad as me. “Dad, even the water recycled onsite will be to a standard that it could be used for normal domestic use, a long-term reduction in town’s main use for domestic water supply. He's not using it for that, as they want to trial the systems in the real world, and then possibly include this in future development sites planned."

Dad called Adam and arranged for him and Steph to meet him the following day. Steph wanted in, after she had found out from Mom that I was banging on about the project. Steph knew I was a nerd with this stuff, so actually followed my advice - go figure.

The Spence family ended up buying seven properties in all - my three, Stephanie bought one with an option for a second and Mom and Dad bought three. Although not at the same cost as what I had secured, it was still a sweet deal for them.

I’d never seen the old man so quick to sign a contract and hand over a deposit. He said they were set for retirement now. Once they sold the family home and moved into their townhouse, they’d be set.

Mom, Dad, Steph and I were discussing how Adam’s plan was to make these developments low impact on utilities and the environment over a sustained period using engineering and renewable energies to reduce the ongoing costs. This turned out to be a winner later: he scored a massive contract to build another six sites over the following years. The original site sold out in several weeks. The Moms at the CWA made sure everyone knew about it. Adam even sold off one apartment on the next build, donating it back to the CWA as a thank you.

The CWA used the money as a high school support fund for kids that were in financial need - just a great outcome for everyone. That was so typical of Adam - a really nice guy, a fool like me at times, but a really nice guy when it counted.

..o0o..

Since all hell had broken loose at Julie's place while Mom and Dad where there, Mason showed up and tried to deny the affair, then blame me somehow, then it was Julie’s fault.

At that, the old man lost it apparently, told him to go back to their house and wait for them to come home. When Mason tried to stand his ground with Dad, saying it was his house, he was a grown man and couldn’t be ordered around, saying, according to Mom, who was pissed at this comment on top of what he’d done with Jules, ‘I’m not a man-child like Jamie,’ was just the icing on the cake.

The old man just lost it at him. They returned home with all of Mason’s crap in the tub of Dad’s truck a few hours later. I decided that it was just safer for all if I didn’t stay at Mom and Dad’s tonight with Mason thundering around the house like a child. I was slowly losing the battle not to have a go at the dickhead. God, he's such a dick at times!

Mason could be the best and brightest at things if he only lost that chip off his shoulder and stopped treating all those that loved him like crap.

So, after getting the property stuff all squared away at home, I grabbed a change of clothes, much to Mom protesting, and asked Sam if I could crash at his place tonight, explaining all that was going on at home. He was cool with it and that he had a way for me to earn my keep for the night... As I walked out the door, I walked straight up to Mason. Dad was eyeing me from the kitchen counter - I think he fully expected me to clock Mason one, but no, I resisted. I leaned in and said, "Life's too short to be an ass all the time, Mase. Time for you to grow up."

He just snorted, "That's funny, coming from you." I clenched my fists beside me - oh my god, I so wanted to clock him one, but that was just what he wants, then shift the focus onto me. No, not this time Mason, enjoy the spotlight. Gonna keep it trained on you for a long-time, buddy.

Turning away, I said, “Bye Mom, Dad. Have a great night,” and I slipped out the door.

..o0o..

The next morning was all about organizing the BBQ, Sam came back to Mom and Dad’s with me, as did all the guys, and even Jeff and Sam’s sister Safi. We had the backyard set up in a few hours - party lights strung up between the house and the three huge lemon ghost gums that towered over the skyline. The slow cookers and BBQ's were all warming up. Mom and a working army of women in the kitchen were busy talking and laughing. I think a few bottles of wine may have been opened, too. They were having a good time. It was pure Mom driven military precision going on in there.

The only hiccup was when Mason came out the back door. I couldn’t help myself, the rage just took over. He walked straight past me not even seeing me behind him. It was like I’d just been possessed by something - I was in remote control, almost. Leaping out of my spot on the side veranda, I tackled him to the ground, pinned him good and proper. Mike and a few of the guys dropped everything and ran over. Kelvin went to pull us apart but Gavin stopped him.

“Let 'em go. This is going to happen anyways, right? At least we can stop it before it goes too far or Mrs. Spence sees them.”

I held Mason down. Thoughts of what he'd done to Jules were rushing through my mind like lightning. She was one of my oldest friends, and he did this to her. Through gritted teeth I growled into his ear, “You’re lucky I don’t beat the shit out of you, fuck-wad, but you’re not worth it. She was always too good for you.”

Dave ran over, grabbing me. “Guys, Mrs. Spence is on her way out. Think she heard the commotion. I heard her saying, ‘If those boys are pitching a fit out back, I’m gonna tan their hides no matter how old they are.’”

I pushed off Mason with some extra force just as Mom came out the back door. We all were trying to look innocent, but in truth, looked guiltier than sin.

“What’s been happening out here, boys? Y'all got plenty of work to do, or you want me to find you some? Mom surveyed around us all. Poor Sam didn’t know which way to look.

“Mason! Get off the ground! This is no time to be lying about, damn it!” she chastised, turning around and walking back inside.

The relief was thick in the air. We all burst out laughing. But the joke was on us. Safi came out to say that they’d been watching inside also. Mom waited for it to get a bit out of hand before stopping it.

Loui and Lachlan arrived with a keg of beer in hand. They'd called Check Point Charlie's and ordered a keg of what we were drinking the other night. They were more than happy to help. So, the boys carried the keg in and set in an old plastic barrel that had been filled with ice. It would be nice and chilled in an hour or two.

The rest of the set up was pretty much a blur. Everyone had put in a stellar effort, plus Dad had done loads the day before too. I grabbed Sam and suggested we get cleaned up before everyone arrives, with a wink.

Taking Sam’s hand we headed into the house, dragging Sam along through the kitchen and into the hallway. We both just smiled at everyone and slipped into the hallway quickly, but not quickly enough.

“You boys should get cleaned up. Use the ensuite, as the company would need the main bathroom. You take longer in the shower than your sisters, Jamie. Don’t be all afternoon.”

“Jeez Mom, you really know how to make a guy feel like a five-year-old, don’t you?”

Mom didn’t even think that comment warranted a response. All I got was a wave of her hands and mouthing ‘go-go’.

Sam and I quietly disappeared into their bathroom. I pushed the door closed behind me, grabbing Sam and pulling him back towards me. I slipped a hand under his T with the other pressed lightly against his chest. We were standing in almost full-body contact. I was only an inch or so taller than Sam, but we fit together like this quite well.

Slowly I nipped and licked at his exposed neck. With a groan, Sam tilted his head back against me. I couldn’t get enough of this guy.

I wondered how far Sam would let me go at my parents’ place before stopping me. Ok, I know we're not kids, but still, it's your folks' place and all. Well, there's only one way to see, right? And what the hell, I’m game if nothing else. A cheeky smile crossed my face.

Sam picked up on it pretty quickly. “What, Jamie, what are you up to?”

While I was distracting Sam with my ministrations on his neck and jawline, like a ninja, I snaked my hand from his abs south ever so slowly, slipping my hand inside the top of his jeans. The tips of my fingers were pushing past his pubic bone. I could feel the small stubble of his neat trim, using the seam of the jeans as a guide south, although I didn’t really need much of a guide.

“Hmm… commando, Sam… I like it.”

All I heard from Sam was single syllable sounds. He was - well we both were - hard enough to smash steel. Slowly I slipped my other hand down the outside of his T, past his midriff. With a single flick of my thumb and finger, I had his jeans unbuttoned and while feeling him up with one hand, I was popping the studs open with Swiss precision.

As the last stud gave way, he just let his jeans fall to the floor now that they had been fully unbuttoned and that monster of his was out of its denim cage, I spun Sam around to face me.

Quickly, Sam grabbed my T, ripping it clear off my body. I heard a few stitches let go in the process… oops, that’s probably ripped now, but I don’t care.

In moments, the last of our clothes were now flung all over the bathroom. As Sam pinned me against the shower door, a whole, more dominant, side of him came out. I let out a little growl. He just smiled.

And I kinda liked it, too.

“Jamie,” Sam called my name breathlessly. “Tell me you have a condom stashed in here somewhere, else you're walking out of here to get one. I want you… I want you so bad right now, Jamie.”

Sam's nipping along my neck and collarbone was getting more frantic and deeper. I'm sure I am going to have marks all over me by the time we’re done. A small moan escaped my mouth. I could feel my eyes rolling back in my head, but what the fuck, I didn't care.

“Oh Jesus, Sam, you’re driving me wild.” With that I pushed against Sam, turning him around with his sweet tight ass against me. My cock was wedged in the cleft of his butt.

Sam had braced himself against the tiled wall. His hands were just above his head. This position made his back arch, pushing his butt back on me. Quietly, but deeply, moaning, his head was hanging down like a rag doll almost.

“Oh fuck Jamie, fu..c..k..k..k! I need you so bad. I need you in me now, right now Jamie… fuck me, fuck me now!” His voice was starting to rise.

Like a lightning bolt, I remembered that a couple of condoms had fallen out of my bag when I dropped it in my old room earlier, and I’d just stuffed them in my jeans pocket.

I pulled back from Sam to grab my jeans. He let out another breathless moan when our bodies were no longer pressed hard against each other.

“No, Jamie, come back. I need you.”

It only took me a few seconds to find my jeans and the condoms. “I gotcha, Sam,” I replied, holding up the condoms. Sam was looking over his shoulder to see what the hell I was doing.

“Yesss, that’s my fireman - always be prepared.”

I laughed a little. “That’s scouts, Sam.”

“Whoa?”

“Be prepared was… oh never mind.” I had the packet open and was about to roll it on, as Sam turned side on and snatched the condom out of my hand.

“I love getting my hands on that hose of yours, Jamie.”

Before I knew what was happening, Sam had me all dressed and ready to play. He quickly opened the shower door and turned on a tap, just enough for the water to flow and make some cover noise. ‘I like that way he thinks,’ I thought, grinning at him.

“Oh, damn it, shit, Sam! Sorry, no lube. I didn’t think of that, I can’t...”

Suddenly the thought of ducking out of Mom and Dad’s room, running down the hallway and into my room and grabbing lube, whilst all wrapped in a towel, with a raging hard-on … well, nah, that's not going to work. More, it will probably scar me mentally for life and any number of people I'm likely to run into in the hallway too!

With a wiggle of his eyebrows, he grabbed the shower gel from the rack and proceeded to lube us both up. I wasn’t sure if it was because it was forbidden fruit - fucking in my parents’ bathroom while the house and yard were filling with guests…

..o0o..

Wiping the mirror clean so we both could finish getting ready, I turned to Sam who was stepping out of the shower with a lovey shade of ‘I’ve just been thoroughly fucked’ look about him.

“Oh Sam, that was one of the best sex sessions I’ve had. I’m sure they heard us. We were trying, well I thought we were trying, to be quiet.”

I smiled at Sam. “I did hear a few voices outside ask what the noise was, then music surprisingly got louder.”

Sam’s face had just turned a beautiful shade of red, and not from the shower either.

“Oops… my bad, Jamie.”

I must remember to find out who turned up the music and thank them for that.

We finished our shower eventually, dried, dressed and, both having that freshly fucked look about us, wandered out to the meals area. It was a sea of people and voices with loads of laughter and some instructions being shouted too, but loads of fussing about.

Mom came up to Sam and me and shoved two huge platters of antipasto and cold cuts into our hands.

“Come on you two. Help me take this out into the yard.”

We followed diligently, passing through the back door to see Gav and Ty practicing the fireman’s carry on some of my younger cousins. Amongst the sea of people and laughter going on outside, I've loved these parties since I was a kid: the smell of the BBQ smoke, table cloths covered with mountains of food… it's just the stuff of fond memories… the string lights between the house and the massive old eucalypt gums back and forth across the yard… it looked amazing.

Sam and I headed over to the nearest trestle table, putting out platters down. I heard a few squeals and excited voices. Looking around, I saw my other sister, Kate, and family coming through the side gate. Mason was talking to a few of my crazy uncles down the yard a bit - we’ve all got those, right? And Steph was shouting instructions when she stopped mid-way, pointing at someone to do something.

Mom had seen Kate arrive with Jake struggling to carry two coolers of food, plus shooing their two kids, Jet and Daisy, along. Mom just froze in place, her hand raised to her mouth, and started to cry. It suddenly dawned on me what was going on. It was the first time in two years that all four Spence siblings were in the same place at the same time. Mom loved it when we were all back at the house, and with the grandbabies too, well, it was the lottery for her.

Jet and Daisy saw me and screamed ‘Jamieeee,’ as they ran across the yard with arms outstretched. I swept them both up in one grab and spun them around and around. I love seeing my little niece and nephew, but with my shift work and the busy lives that Kate and Jake live, it had been a long time.

Ok, plus my bitch-ex made family gatherings tough. Kate and Jake did not want the kids exposed that crap. So, they kept away when she was about, but ding-dong, she’s gone. It had been almost nine months since I’d seem them last and they’d grown so much.

“Uncle Jamie, do you have your fire truck here?”

“Can we go for a ride?” asked Daisy, with Jet nodding in total agreement.

“Aww, no - sorry guys I don’t. I’m not working today.” The sad looks on their little faces were not lost on their Granddad, who had finished comforting Mom.

"Uncle Jamie, why is grandma crying? Mommy said grandma thinks you're running away? Are you Uncle Jamie?"

The sweet little look of concern on Daisy’s face almost broke my heart.

Jet piped up, “You gonna join the circus, Uncle Jamie? Daddy says you’re a clown sometimes, but I haven’t seen you in your clown clothes. Do you have clown clothes? Can we see them?”

My brother-in-law almost choked on the spot. The mouthful of drink he had just tried to swallow was being ejected all over the lawn in front of him.

Karma Jake, karma, ha-ha, I thought to myself.

Daisy is such a sweetie, but nothing gets past her. “Daddy are you ok? You shouldn’t gulp your soda. You tell us not to.” Little miss was standing with hands on hips. We all laughed but tried to hide it, else we would feel her wrath next.

Both Jet and Daisy were now chanting, “Can we see them,” over and over till Kate came and calmed them down a bit. A plate of food Mom had prepared for them seemed to do the trick. All was quiet in a few moments.

Even Mason and Steph declared a truce for a few hours. It was like the Christmas exchange on the western front during World War One. For a few hours, it was quiet - no fighting, loads of extended family just having fun and enjoying our company.

Some familiar raised voices grabbed my attention: a friendly argument broke out between Gav, Ty, Dave, Mark, and Louis. Jack and Kelvin were just standing back laughing. I think they'd already sorted out their rescues. They had just handed Jet and Daisy some sweets of some description. But the ‘who was carrying whom’ in the race between the rest of the guys was in full flight. Sam and I just stood there riveted in place, taking in all the goings-on around us.

“Shit Jamie, your family certainly throws a good garden party!” Sam offered with a confused smile.

“Wait till Dad really gets going buddy, then you’ll see shit go off." I leaned over and kissed Sam gently on the cheek. "Come on let me introduce you around. They're not as scary as they all look, I promise." We both laughed a little nervous laugh and weaved our way slowly around the yard.

I was holding Sam’s hand. A few times initially, he squeezed it a little harder when meeting my family. My god, they are loud, but a loving family too.

After the third or fourth, “Oh don’t you boys just look so handsome together” from one of my aunties, or “Oh my, James, you look so happy. Is it this handsome young man you’re with here?”

Sam even scored a few auntie kisses, poor bastard. I couldn’t help but chuckle inside. I think one might have escaped as he did shoot me a ‘do it and die’ look a couple of times.

“Oops, my bad,” I chuckled to myself.

This must have been the biggest way to do the ‘meet the family' anyone has ever done. I owe him.

Sam took it all in his stride, even firm but welcoming ‘Pleased to meet you, Sam’ from my uncles didn't ruffle him. It was going well.

A distant commotion started up again over in one of the corners of the yard. Obviously, Dad had started rolling out some party games. The adult-sized Jenga sets made from lengths of 2x4’s were always a crowd pleaser.

Although, and I’m not proud of it now, Mason and I used those sets in fierce mortal combat as kids, okay? And Christmas dinner a couple of years ago landed us both in the ER. Wow, more than once or twice we were grounded for school break when we were younger. Even Gav was in the bad book with Mom, too, when we were kids. He and Mason didn’t get on either, and were busted a few times using the Jenga set not as it was intended, well, by Dad anyways.

Looking across to where dad was, smiling and laughing away having the time of his life, arranging stuff of everyone to in participate, I'm guessing it will end in the obligatory water fight. When you get the Spence family around and all our friends that are in the job, they kind of just happen, like cops and donuts. Shit, better not let Mark hear me say that - he'll have a fit. He is your modern, stereotypical 6'3", 195lb cop. No donuts eaten by him - just protein bars.

Adam walked in the gateway to a cheer from the boys. He'd finally turned up with his parents in tow. I turned to Sam. “I’d like to introduce you to Adam, one of my oldest buddies from high school and college, if that’s okay.”

“Sure, I’d love to, Jamie," Sam replied brightly.

We walked over to Adam and his folks.

I momentarily let Sam's hand go, pulling Adam into a hug, and his parents, too. I hadn't seen them in years - Mr. and Mrs. Yates were such nice people.

"Mr. Yates, Mrs. Yates, Adam, I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Sam Lowe. Sam Mr. and Mrs. Yates and Adam. Adam just fleeced me for all my money on tin sheds he’s going build.”

"Piss off, idiot," Adam replied while smiling and rolling his eyes.

"Hi, Adam. Nice to meet you. Jamie hasn't stopped talking about you or your project for the last sixteen hours. You'll have to use him as a walking, talking advertisement."

"Yeah,” Adam chimed in. “I've got a monkey suit he can wear and dance around on High Street, if he likes."

They both laughed at that. I just watched on, trying not laugh, but it was funny, even at my own expense. I ignored the smartass comments and continued introducing Sam around.

"Mr. Yates, Mrs. Yates, this is a very good friend of mine, Sam Lowe.”

Taking Mr. Yates’ hand and kissing Mrs. Yates in turn, Sam said, “I am pleased to meet you both. I guess you have known Jamie since childhood. I’ll have to catch up with you and get some embarrassing stories about Jamie from you."

“Pleased to meet you too, Sam,” Mrs. Yates laughingly replied. “Only too happy to, Sam. There are quite a few stories to be told.”

I shot Adam a look of ‘They had better not’. He just smiled back like the cat that had eaten the canary.

There were handshakes going around when Mom dived in and hugged Adam. I think she almost broke his neck at one point.

"Oh my, Adam Yates! I haven't seen you for years! You were always here with Jamie and those boys," Mom pointed in the general direction of Gav, Dave and the rest of the group. "Then gone! You almost broke my heart.”

“So, tell me Adam, are you married yet, or are you playing the field?"

Adam looked at me with a, ‘oh god please help me.’ I smiled and walked off with Sam.

“He’s a gonner. Mom’s going to get him married off before the night’s out.” Sam and I almost wet ourselves laughing, knowing it was true.

As we were walking back across the yard, Sam ducked off to the bathroom for a moment. I headed across the yard, as I'd spotted Amanda from HR and her hubby. I walked up to Amanda and Steve, sweeping Amanda into a huge hug while reaching past and shaking Steve's hand.

"Thanks, Amanda," I said, looking straight at her, "for everything."

“No problem, Jamie. Wouldn’t have missed this party for the world.”

She smiled, acknowledging what I was really saying, but without breaking her HR/Work rules.

“My god, Jamie! Is that guy you were walking around with the ‘new’ man? Sam, yeah?”

“Yep, it is. When he comes back, I’ll introduce you guys.”

At that moment, music had just been changed up. Someone had put stuff on that we could dance to, thank god. The deck in the middle of the yard became an instant dance floor.

“Jamie?”

Sam appeared, walking over with Ty and Dave.

“Sam,” I grabbed him by the hand and pulled him over. “You want to dance?” Sam nodded, but with a slightly confused look on his face. “But real quick, before we do, I have to introduce you to these guys. This is Amanda from work and her husband Steve. Amanda and I go way-way back?”

And with that the four of us chatted till the music got the better of me, which felt like hours but was probably more like five minutes. “Amanda, Steve.” Grabbing Sam’s and Amanda’s hands, I implored, “Let’s dance.” I started dragging them towards the dance floor with loads of guests doing the same. Steve tried to escape, but Amanda grabbed him too, much to his disgust.

The party was starting to get rolling now. People had eaten mountains of food, and the first keg from Check Point Charlies had been tossed, and the second tapped. From the look of it, a third might be needed, but Laughlin and Dave had that all in hand.

There were more and more people turning up from work too. I was really pleased to see a few on shift arrive. I’m sure I saw Uber Vince too, walking out the gate with a pile of food in his hands.

We finally came off the dance floor and made a beeline for a drink. Mike and Kelvin came over and were chatting with Sam. The guys had really taken to him. Sam was fitting in well with everyone. It looked like, well I hoped, that Sam has made a bunch of friends here too. There were loads of smiles and laughs going ‘round.

I am really blessed with my circle of friends - a broad church of people, but all them were great and would do anything to help you. I was just getting lost in my thoughts when suddenly, I was getting soaked. One of the guys from my shift at work was hanging over the fence with a live brushfire line from one of the trucks, turning it on me.

‘Oh my god, really?’ was all I could get out. Next minute there was water squirting everywhere. Luckily it was a warm evening. My niece and nephew worked out what was happening pretty quickly and were running out the side gate with Dad in hot pursuit. The children worked out there were fire trucks present and they wanted in them. My god, those kids are the best.

Hmm, I think I’d like to have kids one day. Wow! Where did that thought come from, I thought, snapping myself back to the here and now.

The water fight lasted about fifteen minutes. By now the beers I'd been slowly drinking had started to take effect. I was soaked, standing there looking down at my wet body. Well, I couldn't take my jeans off as I didn't have underwear on, but thought what the hell and pulled my shirt off with loads of whistles and cat calls. Mike and most of the other guys did the same, Aunty Nancy yelled out.

“Thanks for the dinner and show, Robert.”

Dad just waved at his sister, like the water off a duck’s back to him.

Even Dad’s crazy party games were a hit, although I still call no fair in being made to give everyone else a five-yard head start in the fireman carry. Sam and I kicked their butts, and for the first time apparently, I kissed a boy in front of the entire extended family. It just kind of happened.

The loud hoots and hollers started up again, with my buddies running up to us and pestering Sam and me to kiss them too - booze hounds. We all ended up falling over and laughing our butts off.

Even Aunty Nancy came back saying she wanted in on the action.

“All these sexy young men with no shirts on. I want some loving too.”
Aunty Nancy, she's Dad’s older sister and has always been a total joker for as long and I can remember. Maybe it's a family trait?

I was looking around the place: Sam was off chatting to the guys, and one of my uncles and Mom and Dad were talking and smiling while watching Jet and Daisy run through the crowd. They’d obviously had their fill of trucks for the moment.

Mom and Dad always seem to be there for us - our parents lock step behind us all. Mom was doing her best to have a great time, and I think when Gavin and the guys dragged her up dancing a few times, it helped her forget that in 13 hours’ time, I would be gone for three months.

I sat down for a moment and took it all in.

I was getting lost in my thoughts about how truly blessed with great friends and family I am.

But Sam... What am I going to say to him?

What is he expecting from me?

What do I expect or want from him?

‘Oh my god, how do I get myself into these situations?’ I thought, when a voice snapped me out of it.

"Hey, Jamie."

“Oh, hey Mason.”

“Nice party the folks and your friends have put on for you. Dad even dragged out the big Jenga. Thought he was going to burn that after Christmas two years ago.”

I was about to say something smartass.

“You deserve the celebration, Jamie, you really do, little brother.”

I was floored. For once in my life, I was speechless for a few seconds.

“Thanks, Mase. I appreciate it, and for you sticking around. It means a lot to the oldies, so thanks.” I held out my hand to shake his. He looked at me for a moment. Then Mason shook my hand pulling me toward him into a not-all-that-awkward side hug.

"You're still a man-child, Jamie. But I love ya.”

“You’re still a dick Mase, but I love you too,”


I spotted Mom and Dad out the corner of my eye. It was like they’d just seen a ghost or something, stunned.

“Hey, Spence.” Mike came running up, now only in his boxer briefs. “Come on. Quick - Sam, Kelvin and Louis are all trying to outdo each other in standing backflips.”

“Oh, my money is on Sam. Let’s go.” Standing up, I turned to Mason. “Come on, this should be funny.”

Thank you T, for you. I can't thank everyone enough for the support and feedback, super appreciate it, really do. I hope y'all enjoy, have a great week all John.
Copyright © 2018 FSELL; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 21
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mason is a twat. I’m wondering why Sam made the face at Jamie. It seemed to grab his attention. Good chapter.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great yarn and seriously good story.Yes Mason has a manor problem but I think his comments about Jamie are correct  too. I hope he doesn't hurt Sam .  His last comment about not knowing what Sam's expectations are a bit of a concern especially with hot ads back in the picture.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Jamie and Sam make a cute couple. I still think Mason’s a dick.

I’m with you @chris191070 on both counts. Thanks for following along and your comments too, have an awesome day. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Mason sucks! 

Yes @Wesley8890 he does, total tool of a man. But Jamie is so much better, if they all didn’t look so similar you’d think Mason is the mailman’s kid, haha. Thanks for the feedback and following along too. Really appreciate it, hope you have an awesome day.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bushman60 said:

Great yarn and seriously good story.Yes Mason has a manor problem but I think his comments about Jamie are correct  too. I hope he doesn't hurt Sam .  His last comment about not knowing what Sam's expectations are a bit of a concern especially with hot ads back in the picture.

Aww thanks so much @Bushman60 glad you’re enjoying the story, and I agree on some levels Mason is right, but he’s still a dick. I think Jamie’s conflicted over how to deal with his feelings with Sam, and not being in tune enough to read the situation clearly. Let’s hope he gets his head in the game soon. Thanks for the feedback and following the story along, really appreciate it. Hope you have an awesome day too. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I think the author is an engineering nerd too! Such incredibly detailed descriptions of an eco-friendly development that could fit in California too! I love how they weren’t sure if it was the engineering or the memories that gave them hard-ons!  ;-)

Link to comment
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I think the author is an engineering nerd too! Such incredibly detailed descriptions of an eco-friendly development that could fit in California too! I love how they weren’t sure if it was the engineering or the memories that gave them hard-ons!  ;-)

Your bang on there, oops busted🙃😀

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Be prepared! That's the Boy Scout's marching song
Be prepared! As through life, you march along
Be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well
Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell

 

Be prepared! That's the Boy Scouts' solemn creed
Be prepared! And be clean in word and deed
Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice
Unless you get a good percentage of her price

 

Be prepared! And be careful not to do
Your good deeds when there's no one watching you
If you're looking for an adventure of a
new and different kind
And you come across a Girl Scout who is
similarly inclined
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared
Be prepared!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..