Jump to content

The House of Storms

   (5 reviews)

It's 1948. Teens Frank and Joe Dane, sons of nationally famous private detective Ben Dane, are enjoying their summer vacation. But then their dad asks them to come along on a little trip up the coast, to a tourist town where strange things have been happening...and the boys are off on a mysterious case with two friends in tow.

Events take an immediate turn for the worse as it soon becomes obvious that someone is out to stop the investigation...someone willing to use any means at his disposal to win!

An homage to the Hardy Boys adventures that some of us read as kids, except that in this one, the boys are...um, well...you'll see.

 

This story contains mild descriptions of sex between teen characters.
Copyright © 2017 Geron Kees; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (4 members)

  • Action Packed 4
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 4
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 3
  • Humor 2
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 2
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 56,882 Words
    • 7,773 Views
    • 101 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

ReaderPaul

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

This story reminds me of the original Hardy Boys stories (from the 1920s to the 1950s) in many of the ways it is arranged, but with gay twists.  There are multiple levels to the story, ranging from detective story to suspense to tribute.  The use of logical deductions (and sometime misdirection) by the characters in the story.  There are some 1940s stereotypes used in the story for effect.  

The story is quite reasonable from the initial premises.  "Accidents," attempted murder, rare snakes, illusionists, best friends, and more-- all play parts in the story.  Different characters reveal their strengths and weaknesses as the story unfolds.  All in all, a good story, invoking nostalgia for some of us, and yet the story is logically constructed with plenty of the element of surprise.  Should the author write an eventually sequel short story, I would certainly read it.

Paul

  • Like 7
  • Love 5
Link to review
Carlos Hazday

· Edited by Carlos Hazday

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I'll preface my review by saying I've never read any Hardy Boys stories.

Mr. Kees has created a wonderfully intriguing and fast-paced story I found hard to put down. It would have benefited from being broken into chapters the way a publisher would have done had the book been printed on paper instead of being published electronically. The advice given to the author not to create distinct chapters did him a disservice.

I'm glad I didn't abandon it when I struggled to find a stopping point; The House of Storms is a wonderful read. The nostalgic look at an earlier time, the careful use of language, and the stringing together of minor events and clues is masterful. I felt transported to a simpler era. Detective Ben Dane, his sons Frank and Joe, and their friends Chip and Tony deserve better than to be abandoned. The sleuths should make further appearances in future installments.

There are minor technical issues, but the strength of the writing makes them irrelevant. In spite of them, I rate The House of Storms the highest possible at five stars.

  • Like 5
  • Love 3
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Very well written. As Geron knows, i'm not a huge fan of 'teen' stories. However, these are not the usual, angst ridden 40 year old 'teens' adults so often write about. They felt honest and real to me.  Wonderfully crafted story. Well worth reading ... with a nice coffee and a box of chocolates!!

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to review
KrisK

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

I never read The Hardy Boys as a kid, or as an adult either come to that. But if they are anything like this story then it makes me feel like I really missed something! Geron has once again put together a very engaging and satisfying story. I'm so impressed with the attention to detail and his ability to bring me right into the setting as if I'm part of everything going on. 

This is the longest story of his I've read so far and I was completely engaged throughout. There were moments of gripping suspense, tender affection and romance, dangerous adventure, heroic action, and it was all put together with an endearing and engaging cast of characters. It was a great story, and I highly recommend it. 

I think I've been saying this on all my reviews of Geron's stories, but I would definitely be interested in a sequel to this wonderful tale.

Response from the author:

Thank you. I always planned another story in this series. Maybe it's time? :)

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to review
raven1

   3 of 4 members found this review helpful 3 / 4 members

The House of Storms  is a very well written novella filled with danger and suspense.  It is also a time capsule of post WWII life in the USA.  Ben Dane, his sons and their friends are off to a vacation that turns into a case for the famous detective.  His boys Frank and Joe are very like the Hardy Boys, who with their friends are caught up in the case and help Ben gather information.  It is an action packed adventure with a little romance for seasoning.  It has an amazing plot with a deadly car chase, a Dark Magician, a Seer from India, a waking dead man, and a slithering assassin.  Geron is a great storyteller and this is a great book to read on a dark, stormy night reading in bed with a flashlight.  I highly recommend you read this book. 

Response from the author:

Wow. Wonderful review, and thank you! :)

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..