Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 5,270 Words
  • 2,016 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heart of The Tree - 20. Part III - The Heart Revealed. Chapter 18

Bobby pulled up outside the Asters’ farmhouse.

“Here we are, back in one piece. Are you happy now, Shane?” Bobby asked, turning to grin at the guy in the back seat.

“Very, very happy. I promise never to say anything nasty about your car again... at least not until I’ve had a chance to start breathing again. As for now, I’m going inside and having a stiff drink,” Shane said, unbuckling his seat belt.

Bobby looked across at Jamie. “How about we go inside and say hello before we head off to my place?”

“Sounds good to me,” Jamie said. He didn’t move, though, until Shane was out of the car.

Bobby raised an eyebrow.

“I didn’t want to say anything while Shane could hear, but was that a red light I saw on the dash just before we stopped?” Jamie asked.

Bobby looked sheepish. “Yeah, it was. There must be a leak somewhere in the radiator system because it was beginning to overheat. Oh well, that’s one of the reasons I wanted to make a long trip – to see how she’d hold up.”

“I thought the engine was running slightly out of tune, too, but not by much.”

“You thought so? I wasn’t sure, but I was concentrating on a few other things as well. I think that can wait, though, until after I sort out the leak.”

Bobby popped the bonnet and both guys got out. Bobby started scanning the engine, but glanced to the side when Jamie didn’t head inside.

“You don’t have to stay out here. Shane and Matt are both inside and they’ll introduce you to everyone.”

“That’s okay, I don’t mind. I thought another pair of eyes might be useful to spot the problem, that’s all.”

Bobby grinned. “Thanks, mate. It’s going to be a slow leak, but let’s see what we can find while there’s still a bit of light. It’ll be dark soon.”

“I’ll get under the car, since I’ve got the old clothes on, while you check the top,” Jamie said.

“Just don’t get burnt.”

A few minutes later, Jamie called out. “I think I’ve found it. Have a look here.”

Bobby lay down next to Jamie and peered where Jamie was pointing.

“See the steam still coming off that pipe? There shouldn’t be anything there, so I think there’s a leak from the hose above it.”

“I think you’re right. Thanks, Jamie. I’ll go to the hardware store tomorrow to get a replacement.”

They both slid out and clambered to their feet.

“You’re finished, then?” Matt asked.

Jamie and Bobby both jumped at the sarcastic question. They spun around to see Matt and Vince standing nearby with wide grins on their faces.

“Matt, I didn’t see you there,” Jamie said.

“Obviously. Jamie, I’d like you to meet Vince. Vince, this is Jamie.”

Vince stepped forward and extended a hand. “G’day, Jamie.”

Jamie reached for it, and then stopped and looked at his palm. “I’m sorry, but I don’t think I should shake hands until after I’ve washed.”

Vince chuckled and grabbed Jamie’s hand. “It’s okay. This is a farm. Anyone working outside is expected to be dirty, so it’s no big deal.”

“G’day, Bobby. Thanks again for going to get Jamie,” Matt said. “Just for the record, Vince wanted to sneak up and yell ‘BOO’ but I told him that wouldn’t be nice while you were both under the car.”

Vince snapped his head around to stare at Matt. “What are you talking about? That was your idea, and I was the one to talk you out of it!”

Matt grinned. “Really? That’s not the way I remember it.”

Vince turned back to Bobby. “You believe me, don’t you?”

Bobby stared at first Vince, then Matt. “If you two think I’m going to get involved, you’ve got rocks in your heads. If you really want to fight it out, go somewhere private and have a wrestling contest.”

Vince’s eyes lit up. “Great idea!” He gave Matt an evil grin.

“Not now. We’ve got to introduce Jamie to your family, first.”

“If you need a referee, just let me know,” Jamie said.

Jamie winced when he saw that Vince glanced across at Matt, appearing shocked and uncertain. He remembered Shane saying that Vince had just come out of the closet and was still uneasy.

“Only joking!” Jamie said quickly, hoping to repair any damage he’d just done.

“Come on in, Jamie,” Matt said, grabbing Vince’s hand. “We’ll introduce you to a few people. There’ll be more later, as they aren’t all here tonight.”

Jamie stared sideways at Matt as they walked towards the house. “How many people are you talking about?”

“There’s Rhys, Mark, Padma, Karen, Mia, plus Vince’s parents and his brother Warren.. Most of them you’ll meet later in the week,” Matt said.

“I was thinking we could meet here tomorrow afternoon, since that’s my last day off before I have to go back to work,” Bobby said.

“Padma won’t come, but maybe we can go out for dinner tomorrow night,” Vince said.

“Why won’t Padma come?” Matt asked.

Vince smiled. “She’s a staunch vegetarian. She won’t come out to a place that raises cattle to be slaughtered for meat. We’ve agreed not to discuss the topic, but she can’t bring herself to visit. We’ll have to see her in town.”

“That’s not true, Vince,” Bobby said.

Vince turned to look at him. “What do you mean?”

“Padma’s been out here a lot over the last couple of weeks. Your mum needed help and Padma stepped in. Yeah, I know she won’t normally come here, but when she was needed she came.”

Vince’s mouth dropped open. He didn’t know what to say. Matt pulled him in close and gave him a reassuring hug.

“How about Nacho Nirvana for dinner, then?” Matt asked.

“If we can get a table, that sounds good. I’ll ring Mia tonight to see if I can arrange it,” Vince said, sounding distracted. It was obvious his mind was only half on the conversation.

While Matt opened the door, Jamie looked at Bobby. “What’s Nacho Nirvana?”

Bobby grinned. “The best Chinese Mexican in the area.”

Jamie stared for a moment and then shook his head. “I’m sorry I asked.”

Bobby laughed and gently pushed Jamie forward. “Go on, it’s time to meet some people.”

Jamie went into what appeared to be the kitchen. He spotted Shane sitting at the table with a glass of beer in front of him. There was an older couple that Jamie assumed were Vince’s parents, and a young man who appeared to be a few years older than Jamie.

“Everyone, this is Jamie,” Matt said.

Vince’s mum stood up and stepped over to give Jamie a hug. He felt very self-conscious, but managed to give her a polite squeeze in reply.

“I’m glad you’re okay,” she said.

Jamie gave her an uncertain grin, not sure what to make of her welcome. The smile she gave him in response made him relax as he sensed that she was honestly pleased for him.

He turned from her and found her husband standing there with an outstretched arm.

“Pleased to meet you, sir,” Jamie said as he shook hands. Vince’s dad had a strong, firm grip. The handshake was accompanied by a piercing stare and ended with a wry smile.

“Likewise, Jamie. I suppose I should start getting used to having your sort dropping in.”

Vince winced and Matt looked at Mr. Aster in surprise.

“DAD!” Warren yelled.

Tony Aster turned to face his eldest son. He crossed his arms.

“And they’ll have to start getting used to me. I’m too old to change my ways much. Vince is who he is, and his friends will probably be the same. Just because they aren’t what I’m used to doesn’t make them any less his friends, or any less worthwhile, but I’m not going to change the way I talk just because they might get offended. If they’re that thin-skinned, they can learn to grow some hide.”

Warren looked a little mollified, but he was still frowning. “I don’t think you understand, but okay.” He looked over at Jamie, smiled, and raised a hand. “Hi! I’m Warren, Vince’s brother.”

“Would you like to stay for dinner?” Kirstie Aster asked. “You must be hungry after the drive from Dubbo.”

“I still need some time to recover before I’m capable of eating,” Shane said, taking a sip of his beer.

Kirstie smiled at Shane. “I wasn’t asking you, since I already know you’ll be staying. I was asking Jamie and Bobby. I still have to cook, so don’t worry – you’ll have time.”

“When did you start drinking beer, anyway?” Matt asked.

“Since I’ve spent four hours in that car with Bobby,” Shane replied. “I would’ve preferred something stronger, but this was the first thing I saw.”

“I’m crushed!” Bobby said, grinning. “I’m not that bad a company, am I?”

Jamie felt like jumping in to say he was definitely not, but he wasn’t sure how it would go down. He’d already put his foot in it with Vince, and he was trying to be careful.

“You were great company. It was that thing masquerading as a car that stressed me out.”

Bobby stretched himself up to his full height and frowned down at Shane. “Are you talking about my girlfriend?”

Shane blinked. “Your girlfriend? In that case, I apologise. She’s a nice bucket of rust and I didn’t mean it when I said she deserved to be crushed nice and slow under a ten-tonne truck.”

Bobby grinned. “Apology accepted.” He turned to Jamie. “It’s your decision, but dinner at my place will be whatever I can find in the freezer, so I’d take Mrs. Aster’s offer, if I was you.”

“Dinner sounds fine. Thank you, Mrs. Aster,” Jamie said.

* * *

“This is another wonderful dinner, Ken,” Aunt Cynthia said.

“It’s nothing special, but I’m experimenting with using Asian herbs when making the pasta,” Ken Lo Chou replied, though he was smiling at the compliment.

Mia agreed with Aunt Cynthia, but since she thought that about all of her father’s cooking, she’d long ago stopped making too much of a fuss about it.

“Is there more?” Paul asked. “I’ve almost finished this bowl.”

Mia grinned at her younger brother. The fifteen-year-old had the typical teenage male appetite and could never get enough of his dad’s cooking.

“There’s more on the stove,” Ken said, “but you have to wait until someone else has finished, first. You know the rules.”

“Ah, man! But you’re all slow eaters! Come on, Mia, stop smiling and start eating.”

Mia laughed, and then followed Paul’s suggestion.

“It’s been a few weeks since we’ve had you around, Mum. I have to say that I was starting to get worried about you,” Alisha Chou said.

“What do you mean, dear?” Aunt Cynthia asked, looking quizzically across the table at her daughter.

“You haven’t been yourself, though you’re looking better tonight. Have you been to see the doctor?”

Aunt Cynthia poked her fork in Alisha’s direction. “Now don’t you start trying to tell me what to do, Alisha. I’ve been looking after myself for a long time now, and I’m more than capable of knowing if I need to see the doctor or not.”

Ken grinned. “You sound perfectly fine and healthy to me!”

“You shouldn’t wave your fork around like that. It sets a bad example for the kids,” Alisha said.

Aunt Cynthia winked at Mia and Paul, and then raised an eyebrow at Alisha.

“What kids? Everyone here is grown up. Anyway, I know you, dear. If you were using a fork instead of chopsticks, you’d’ve poked it in my direction to make your point. You’ve never been the sort to worry about convention, so why are you trying to start now?”

Mia grinned. Her family used chopsticks for most meals, but her grandmother always claimed she was too old to learn. Aunt Cynthia had confided in Mia once that she really did it as mild revenge for how stubborn Alisha had been when she was growing up. She also said that she’d told Ken that, too, and made him promise not to tell his wife.

“Now that that conversation is over, Mia, how’s Vince?” Aunt Cynthia asked.

“He’s happy. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this happy. It makes me realise how depressed he must’ve been beforehand, but I’d just assumed that was his personality.”

“I’m glad to hear that, dear. You young folk have done a great job.”

Mia giggled. “It’s so funny to see the two of them together. Vince is so head-over-heels in love that he rarely stops grinning.”

“What’s this about Vincent?” Alisha asked. “Has he gotten himself a girlfriend? I though you and he...”

Mia bit her lip and stared wide-eyed at Aunt Cynthia. She didn’t know what to say without risking outing Vince.

Her grandmother reached over and patted Mia on the hand. “It’s okay, dear. You can trust your parents. Your father has done a great job in taming your mother. Your brother will be fine, too.”

“MUM!”

“What is it, dear? Are you trying to tell me that you don’t love Ken anymore?” Aunt Cynthia asked, deadpanned.

“Don’t you try to change the topic! Mia, what’s this about Vincent and why is your grandmother talking about trusting us?”

Mia glanced once more at Aunt Cynthia and took the encouraging nod to heart.

“You promise not to repeat any of this to anyone else?” Mia asked both her parents. She fixed Paul with a stern gaze until he nodded his head.

“Of course, Mia,” Ken said, his expression dropping into one of seriousness as he sensed the mood altering around the table.

“I promise. Now start talking,” Alisha said, her eyes narrowing as she stared at her daughter.

“Vince is madly in love with his new boyfriend.”

Mia’s mum flicked her eyes to Aunt Cynthia and then back to Mia. She lifted her hand and opened her mouth to say something, but then just shook her head. Paul appeared unsure, but not disturbed. Mia’s dad’s eyes opened wide and then he smiled.

“What happened to the old one?” Ken asked.

“What do you mean?” Mia asked.

He grinned. “Sorry. Bad joke. I’m very pleased for him; he’s a nice kid. Is it anyone we know?”

“You’ve met him a couple of times. It’s the guy I told you about, that I met up at the cemetery: Matt.”

“Just a second,” Alisha said, frowning as she stabbed her chopsticks in Mia’s direction. “Is that the one you thought was going to marry The Heart of The Tree?”

“Don’t wave your chopsticks around like that, dear. It sets a bad example for the children,” Aunt Cynthia said as she speared another piece of pasta onto her fork.

“You stay out of this, Mum. I want to know what’s going on!”

“Yes, dear. You always have, and I don’t expect you to change now, but don’t you think you should give poor Mia a chance to eat something during the conversation?”

Alisha threw her mum a disgruntled glare, which had no effect on the affable old lady.

“Okay, Mum. This is what’s been going on for the last few weeks...” Mia started.

She talked for the next thirty minutes, assisted at times by Aunt Cynthia. Mia’s mum interrupted to get clarification on a number of points. Her dad was silent, but she could tell he wasn’t missing a word. Paul appeared to ignore the conversation as he snuck away to get a second helping of pasta.

“...and they’ve made a booking at the restaurant for tomorrow night, so you’ll be able to meet everyone. But you’re not to say anything – you promised!”

Alisha rose to her feet. “I’m going to clear the table and make some tea.”

Mia stood up to help, but her mum waved for her to sit back down.

“No, I’ll do it all. I want some time to think about this, and I can’t do that with people breathing down my neck,” Alisha Chou said, and picked up some bowls to take to the kitchen.

Ken Lo Chou smiled at his daughter. “So, what about Bobby?”

“Bobby? He’s not gay, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“That’s good. So he’s still on the prospective son-in-law list, then? I’ve crossed Vincent off, but it sounds like he wouldn’t have made a good husband for you, so that’s just as well.”

“DAD!”

Ken shook his head sadly. “It appears you’ve inherited your mother’s sense of humour. Oh, dear. I thought I’d fixed that by now.”

Mia opened her mouth, but couldn’t come up with a retort. She couldn’t pick when her dad was being serious or not, even after years of exposure. Paul just laughed.

“If I can change the topic, there’s something I’d like to discuss,” Aunt Cynthia said.

“Certainly, dearest mother-in-law. Words of wisdom are always welcome.”

“Stop it, Ken,” Aunt Cynthia said. Her face had gone a light pink.

“What is it you want to talk about?”

“I’d like to wait for Alisha to get back, as this involves all of you.”

Mia and her dad exchanged glances. Mia wondered what it was about but couldn’t think of anything that seemed remotely reasonable. They continued with small chitchat until Mia’s mum returned with a teapot and five cups. They waited until she had poured the Chinese tea and sat down.

“Now, there’s something I want to talk about. As Alisha so kindly pointed out earlier, I’m not getting any younger, and so I’ve been reviewing my will.”

“I didn’t mean it like that!” Alisha said, horrified.

Aunt Cynthia smiled. “Of course not, love, but over the last few weeks I’ve been feeling my age, and I think I should resolve some matters that are outstanding.” She looked around the table, her kind gaze resting longest on Mia.

“I need to make a decision on what to do with the shop, and I wanted to ask you, Alisha, if you’d be willing to take it on, and – if she wants it – pass it on to Mia when she’s ready.”

“Me? Why me?”

“Because, dear, you’re the only one of my grandchildren who’s shown any interest in the store. You don’t have to take it, but it’s there if you want it. Your father knows what’s required to run a small business and he’ll help you if you need it.”

“Go for it, Mia! I think it’ll be great. I certainly don’t want to see the place close down, or go to a stranger who’ll ruin it,” Paul said.

“What about Bruce, Rod, Keith and Stu? Aren’t they going to think we’re getting too big a share?” Alisha asked.

Aunt Cynthia nodded her head to acknowledge the point. “I’ve spoken or written to your brothers. Keith isn’t interested in the shop, and neither are Bruce or his two girls. Rod and Stuart are happy in Queensland and America, and aren’t going to come back here to look after the shop. No, it’s either you or I’ll have to sell the place.

“You do have a point, though, and so I was going to alter my will to reduce your share of the rest of my estate to compensate. I know you’ll have to think about it, but I wanted to let you know about the offer now, rather than later.”

“I.... I just don’t know what to say, Mum. It’s going to be years before it matters, anyway, but it’s a lot to take in.”

“Take your time, but if you’re happy, I’m willing to transfer the title as soon as you agree.”

Alisha looked at Ken, who smiled and nodded. She turned back to Aunt Cynthia. “We’ll talk about it and get back to you as soon as we can. Even if it doesn’t work out, we really appreciate the offer.”

Aunt Cynthia smiled. “Thank you, Alisha.”

After dinner, Paul caught up with Mia. “Sis, can you let Vince know that I’d like to talk to him?”

She stared for a moment, and then frowned. “You promised you wouldn’t say anything about what I said. I don’t want you harassing him!”

“It’s nothing like that. There’s a girl at school that I like and I want Vince’s advice on what I should do to get her attention, that’s all.”

“Why are you asking Vince, of all people?” Mia asked, surprised and perplexed by her brother.

He looked at her as if she were stupid. “He’s the new Heart. Who else am I supposed to ask?”

* * *

“I’m home!” Bobby yelled out.

“I’m in the lounge room, honey,” his mum called back.

Bobby turned and gave Jamie an encouraging smile. “Come on. I’ll introduce you and then we’ll put your gear in my room.”

Jamie noticed a number of what appeared to be antique ornaments on expensive tables along the hall. The carpet was pristine, as were the walls, and a large, sombre portrait of an elderly gentleman faced a hat stand next to the entrance. Jamie wanted to stop to examine the portrait, but instead moved to catch up to Bobby.

“Hi, Mum, Dad, I’d like you to meet Jamie,” Bobby said, beckoning Jamie to stand next to him in the doorway.

Jamie moved up next to Bobby and peered in. The lounge room was in the same pristine condition as the hall, but the furniture was arranged oddly. He saw Bobby’s parents in chairs at opposite ends of the room, where they would have to twist to see each other. Bobby’s mother was sitting neatly in a large upholstered armchair that was decorated with floral patterns, and she had just put an embroidery hoop in her lap to look up at her son. His father was slouched in a tattered brown seat that was covered with numerous stains. One leg was hanging over an arm of the chair. He had a can of beer in one hand and a shooting magazine in the other.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Elkington,” Jamie said, trying to project a polite image.

“Jamie needs a place to stay for a couple of weeks, so I’ve told him he can stay with me,” Bobby said before his parents could say anything.

“That’s very kind of you, dear, but why haven’t you mentioned Jamie before? I’m not comfortable with someone I don’t know staying in the house,” Penny Elkington said.

“Leave him alone! He practically never brings anyone over, and it’s because of attitudes like that,” Lawrie Elkington said, rolling his eyes.

“You may not care who Bobby hangs around with, but I don’t want him associating with the wrong sort of people. There are a lot of bad influences around nowadays,” Penny told her husband before turning her attention back to Bobby. “Tell me a bit about yourself, Jamie. Why do you need a place to stay, and where did you get that black eye?”

Lawrie scoffed. “He’s a kid! He probably got it playing rugby, or got a hit in the eye from a cricket ball. Why do you have to make everything so melodramatic?”

Jamie looked at Bobby uncertainly. He wasn’t sure what to say and didn’t want to put Bobby’s parents offside. Bobby gave him a smile, but when Jamie didn’t say anything, Bobby turned to his mum.

“Jamie got the black eye from his dad, which is why he needs a place to stay until his mum comes home.”

“I knew it! He’s into drugs, and his father, who sounds like a proper sort of parent, unlike someone I could think of, took him to task for it. I’m sorry, Bobby, he can’t stay here,” Penny Elkington said, using her needle to emphasise her words.

“I’m not into drugs!” Jamie blurted out. He turned to leave, not willing to stay at a place where people were so quick to judge him, but Bobby reached out and pulled him close.

“It’s okay. Just be honest and I’ll back you up,” Bobby whispered, his arm resting across Jamie’s shoulders in a way that sent a tingle through Jamie.

“Then why did your dad hit you?” Bobby’s mum asked, staring down her nose at Jamie.

When Jamie hesitated, Bobby squeezed his shoulders encouragingly. Jamie glanced to the side to see Bobby smiling faintly.

Jamie took a deep breath and turned to face Bobby’s mum. While he didn’t like hiding anymore, Jamie appreciated the support from Bobby. It made being truthful that much easier.

“He hit me immediately after I told him I’m gay.”

Both parents’ jaws dropped.

“Okay, so now you know why he needs a place to stay. I thought he could stay with me in my room.” Bobby turned and started to lead Jamie away.

“Just you wait a second, young man!” Lawrie rose to his feet, his face red.

Bobby turned back, keeping an arm draped across Jamie. “What is it, Dad?” he asked, the perfect image of placidity.

“You’re not having some poof sleep in your room with you!”

“What’s the problem? You were just saying I don’t have enough people over. Jamie’s a friend, and he’s staying with me until his mum gets home. I don’t understand what your issue is with that.”

Lawrie spun around to glare at his wife. “This is all your fault. If you hadn’t mollycoddled the boy when he was younger, he wouldn’t have turned out this way. Now look what you’ve done to him!”

My fault? Who failed to provided a good role model in the first place by never being around when he needed a man to show him what to do?” She snorted. “What am I saying? How could I even imply you’re a real man?”

Jamie stared wide-eyed as the two flung barbs at each other. The animosity made him want to back away and then run. It was only Bobby’s arm on his shoulders that stopped him.

“Come on, Jamie. We’ll leave them alone and I’ll show you to my room,” Bobby muttered.

“Robert Peter Elkington! Where do you think you’re going?” his mother asked.

“I’m going to show my friend the way to my room.”

“You will do nothing of the sort! He is not staying here!”

“Much as I hate to admit it, for once I agree with your mother. You can’t have him stay here. I want him out of the house immediately,” Lawrie said.

Bobby stared at his parents for a second, his expression unreadable. He then crossed his arms.

“If he goes, I’m going with him. We’re going to my room now. I’ll come back in thirty minutes to find out if I need to pack a suitcase.”

In the stunned silence that followed his ultimatum, Bobby turned, put his arm back across Jamie’s shoulders and pulled him around. “Come on, mate. We’ll leave them alone.”

They heard a heated argument starting up behind them, but Bobby moved Jamie too quickly for either of them to overhear what was being said. After they entered his room, Bobby rested his head against the wall.

“You’ve given them the impression that you’re gay,” Jamie said, shaking his head.

Bobby nodded, his back still to his guest.

“Look, I think it’s great for you to offer to put me up, but it’s obviously not going to work out. I’ll go now and you’ll be fine,” Jamie said, making up his mind.

Bobby turned. “Please don’t go. I didn’t expect all of that, but I really do want you to stay here.”

Jamie struggled to work out what was going on. He took a couple of steps forward and put his hands on Bobby’s shoulders.

Staring into the other guy’s eyes, Jamie said, “Don’t stuff me around; I need an honest answer. Are you gay or bi? You said you weren’t, but now you’re acting like you are, and like I’m your boyfriend.”

Bobby blinked rapidly for a second and then sighed and shook his head. “I’m straight, and I’m sorry if I’m messing you around. It’s just that’s the first time in years that my parents have agreed on anything. I was just so surprised that I played along.”

Jamie let him go, but didn’t move away. “You were ready for some of that, though, weren’t you?”

Bobby nodded, his eyes downcast. “I knew they’d fight, but I’d already decided I wasn’t going to let them kick you out. I really want you here, but I hadn’t expected them to think I’m gay, too.”

Jamie crossed his arms. There was too much going on that he didn’t understand, and it was making him worried.

“Why do you want me here, Bobby? It’s obviously not for sex, mores the pity.”

Bobby looked up with a pleading expression. “Your parents divorced a few years ago. Didn’t you do anything you could to keep them together?”

Jamie’s mouth opened wide and he dropped onto the bed. He kept his gaze on Bobby’s face.

“They’ve been fighting for years, but I overheard Mum say that now that I’ve finished school, it’s time Dad moved out. I love both of them, and I don’t want to lose either one. How can I stop them?”

Jamie shook his head. “Don’t you think it might be the kinder thing to do to let them go their separate ways?”

“They loved each other once. If they just spend more time together, I’m sure they’ll remember why, and everything will be okay again.”

Bobby walked over and sat on the bed, resting his forearms on his legs and dropping his head to his chest. Jamie shuffled over and put his arm around the bigger, younger guy. Bobby leant against him.

“I just want them to be happy again,” Bobby whispered.

“You might need to let them go for that to happen.” Jamie kissed the top of Bobby’s head.

A noise made Jamie look up. Bobby’s mum was in the doorway, a hand over her mouth. Before Jamie could react, she turned and disappeared. He turned back to see Bobby staring after his mum. He was biting his lower lip.

“I’ll go and explain...” Jamie said.

“No. There’s no point. It doesn’t matter what they think, as long as they let you stay. I didn’t expect it, but maybe if they think I’m gay, they just might start talking with each other instead of at each other. Whatever it takes, then that’s what I’ll do,” Bobby said.

Bobby stood up and closed the door. He then turned to Jamie and took a deep breath. “Will you be my boyfriend?”

Jamie looked away to help himself resist temptation. “No.”

“Why not?” Bobby asked, more puzzled than hurt.

Jamie turned back. “Because it wouldn’t be right. If you were gay or bi, I’d jump at the chance, but you’re straight. You’re really asking me to pretend to be your boyfriend just to deceive your parents, and I just can’t do that. I hate lying and I’m no good at it. I’m sorry, Bobby, but the answer’s no.”

Bobby’s head dropped as he accepted Jamie’s response.

“Would you accept not telling my parents the truth? I won’t ask you to lie, but please don’t tell them that you’re only a friend.”

Jamie nodded. “I can do that, but I’m telling you I think it’s a mistake. I honestly don’t think you’ll be able to keep your parents together if they’ve been like that for years.”

“But I have to try,” Bobby whispered.

Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There's a nice spectrum of parental contrasts. I suppose small towns just seem to

condense things. Poor Bobby, and Jamie especially.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/06/2013 04:03 PM, Stephen said:
There's a nice spectrum of parental contrasts. I suppose small towns just seem to

condense things. Poor Bobby, and Jamie especially.

A favourite saying of mine, that I keep repeating to my sons, is "Everyone's different". I try to keep to that in my stories, too, though I don't always succeed :)
Link to comment

I think what Bobbie's doing with his parents is hilarious. It takes a lot of balls to do so, and since he's told Jamie the truth nobody is going to get hurt. Vince's father is ok in my books as well. He's been honest, and while I might not agree with his argument, I don't take any offence by it, and I don't think Vince does either.

Another great chapter! Thanks.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/07/2013 12:47 AM, Terry P said:
I think what Bobbie's doing with his parents is hilarious. It takes a lot of balls to do so, and since he's told Jamie the truth nobody is going to get hurt. Vince's father is ok in my books as well. He's been honest, and while I might not agree with his argument, I don't take any offence by it, and I don't think Vince does either.

Another great chapter! Thanks.

Thanks, Terry! Bobby has a lot of self-confidence, and he's desperate. The combination can result in some strange results :) Vince's father isn't very politically correct, but that's just the way he is. :D
Link to comment

Bobby´s parents are horrible and I agree with Jamie, it´d be kinder to let them go their own ways. It´s very unlikely that they´ll change their ways.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/05/2014 06:31 AM, Suvitar said:
Bobby´s parents are horrible and I agree with Jamie, it´d be kinder to let them go their own ways. It´s very unlikely that they´ll change their ways.
They're still his parents, and Bobby wants what he thinks is best for everyone. Jamie has pointed out that he thinks Bobby is wrong, but we'll have to wait and see which one is right.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..