Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 8,482 Words
  • 2,826 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Hunt - 9. Chapter 9

Saturday 17th January, 2015

Ben Driscoll wasn’t sure what to think. On the one hand, he’d had a great night with Mitchell that ended with them both in bed. It was something he wanted to experience again and again.

On the other hand, the more time he spent being ‘gay’, the more likely his family would find out. He could live with being disowned—at least, he thought he could—but his father wasn’t rational when it came to homosexuality. A violent response from the family was a definite possibility. Even living in a different city might not protect him.

A heavy sigh from next to him brought his attention back to his surroundings.

“Sorry to kick you out so soon, but I need to get to work.” Mitchell gave Ben a quick kiss on the lips. “We’re still on for tonight at your place?”

Ben tensed but made himself nod and smile. Oliver had already been told that there would be an extra person for breakfast that Sunday, but the situation still made Ben nervous. He had only seen Mitchell with other people when they were at the MANdatory nightclub, and he didn’t know how Oliver, Helena, and Charlie would react to Mitchell.

Mitchell sighed again as he ran his hand across Ben’s naked chest. “I really don’t want to go, but I need the job.” He sighed again and then rolled out of bed. Mitchell stretched, stared down at the sheet that was covering Ben’s lower body, and then grinned. “And I can see I’m not the only one who doesn’t want me to go.”

Ben reddened, but rather than hide, he smiled. “We’ll pick up where we left off when you come out to Lilydale tonight.”

Mitchell laughed. “Something to keep me going through today’s tedium.” He leant over and gave Ben another kiss, this time longer than the last. Just as Ben was thinking to drag Mitchell back onto the bed, Mitchell pulled away. “I need a shower now or I’m going to be late.” He gave Ben an apologetic smile. “I’ll make it up to you tonight.”

Ben watched Mitchell’s naked bum disappear into the bathroom. Putting his hands behind his head, he frowned as he tried to work out what to do. He wanted a boyfriend—seeing Ross and Warwick together back at the house simply reinforced that viewpoint—but he wasn’t sure he was ready. Would no-strings sex be better for him in the short-term? That’s what Mitchell was providing, but Mitchell had also indicated he was willing to change that into a relationship in the future.

If there was one thing that Ben liked about Mitchell, apart from the sex, it was Mitchell’s honesty. The two of them didn’t have a relationship, and Mitchell had been upfront about where the boundaries currently lay. Those boundaries could shift—Mitchell had also made that clear—but it would take time. If Ben wanted to invest the time and effort, he could end up with a boyfriend. It was the associated dangers that made Ben hesitant.

“Your turn!”

Ben gave Mitchell a quick kiss as he headed to the shower. He knew from the previous Saturday that Mitchell would have a simple breakfast ready for him when he finished.

By the time Ben was on the train heading home to Lilydale, he was no closer to resolving matters. He loved sex, he wanted love, but he was afraid of the consequences if his family ever found out.

* * *

Daphne’s mother raised an eyebrow. “You’re up early.”

“I’ve got a hairdresser’s appointment at ten, and I need to go shopping for a new dress. I’ve got a lot to do today.” Daphne pulled a bowl out of the cupboard and headed to the pantry to get some cereal.

“Where’s Kevin taking you? And will you be coming home afterwards?”

Daphne took a deep breath to try to calm her nerves. “Do you remember Clarissa? She’s having a housewarming party tonight. A number of Kevin’s teammates will be going, as well as some of Deon’s. It’ll be the first time I’ve met most of them. I want to create a good impression.”

“Do any of them know?”

“No!” Daphne shuddered. Sooner or later Kevin’s teammates would learn she’s transgender, but she was hoping it would be later. Much later.

“Sit down, Daphne, and I’ll make you a cup of tea.” Mrs. Silverton rose and headed to the kettle. “You and Kevin are getting pretty serious. Will you be spending the night at his place?”

Daphne moved her bowl to the kitchen table and sat down. She stared at the cereal for a few seconds, her stomach not quite ready for food. “I’ll be staying with him tonight. I’ll be back sometime tomorrow.” She didn’t mention that her sister had offered her apartment again. Her mother didn’t need to know what Angelina was doing to help her and Kevin.

“Don’t get hurt.” Daphne’s mother sounded nervous. “I don’t really understand, even after all these years, but if he makes you happy, then that’s all that’s important. As long as he’s not just using you.”

“He’s not!” Daphne closed her eyes as she tried to organise her thoughts. “He’s wonderful. He’s kind; he’s careful; he accepts me for who I am.” She looked up and met her mother’s concerned gaze. “I don’t understand why, but he loves me. I know it. And I love him back.”

“You’re a beautiful person, Daphne. You’re easy to love.”

Daphne snorted. “I’m plain, but Kevin’s not looking at my appearance. He’s told me that he’s had enough of good-looking girls that had nothing else to offer.”

Daphne’s mother smiled. “Okay. So why are you getting your hair done and buying a new dress?”

“Because I want his friends to like me.” Daphne dropped her head. “It’s important that they like me. I don’t want to cause him any problems.” She silently added: at least no more problems than her being transgender was going to cause, anyway.

“Are you sure about all of this? You could get really badly hurt if things go wrong.”

“I know, but Kevin’s going to stand by me. I know he will.” While she was scared that he wouldn’t, she hoped that was just her fears speaking. That’s why she didn’t tell her mother how she truly felt.

“You’ve only been going out for a couple of months. Are you sure?”

“I am.” Daphne’s tone was firm. “If it were a passing fancy, he’d be gone by now. He’s in it for the long haul.” Her voice dropped as she whispered to herself the next part. “At least I hope he is.”

* * *

It was mid-morning before Mason woke up. Despite an offer to spend the night with a hot blond not too much older than himself, he had returned to his hotel room in the early hours. The guy he’d left the Sportsman Bar with had been good in bed, but there was something about him that had fired Mason’s distrust. Rather than fall asleep in his fuck buddy’s apartment, Mason had caught a taxi back to the hotel.

Mason sighed and then rolled out of bed. In two days’ time he would need to check out and move into the short-term rental he had found. It was time to start packing so he wouldn’t be leaving it all for the last day.

He checked both his phone and his email, but there was no word from his parents. He still didn’t know if they would buy that apartment for him, and it was only a week until the auction. He thought about sending a message to his father but decided against it. Nothing he could do or say would sway his parents, so he needed to be patient.

Mason was happy that he, Deon and Kevin had come to an in-principle arrangement to share a place. He chuckled at the memory of how embarrassed Deon had been when Mason had discussed the possibility of bringing guys home.

“I’m not sure about this,” Deon had said. “We’re not supposed to do anything that will make the club look bad.”

Kevin shook his head. “It’s his life, Deon.” He smiled at Mason. “It wouldn’t be any worse than the one-night stands I had last year. I’m also planning on having Daphne around a lot, so I’d be a hypocrite if I objected to you having sex.”

Mason smirked. “Actually, I thought you were planning on having her move in with you.”

“True, but I don’t know how quickly that will happen.” Kevin grinned. “That’ll be up to her.”

“So, will it be okay for me to bring guys back to spend the night?”

Deon grimaced before nodding.

Kevin shrugged his shoulders. “As long as our privacy is respected, what you do in your own bedroom is your business.”

Mason stared at Deon. “You’re not sure. I was told you shared a house with a gay guy for all of last year. What’s the problem?”

“Jim didn’t bring guys home. He brought one guy home: his boyfriend. I got to know Tony, and he became a good friend. I’m not comfortable with strangers coming and going.” Deon made a face. “It’s your life, though, and you can do what you want. All I’m saying is that having strangers in the house will make me nervous.”

The eventual result of the discussion was that Mason agreed to keep the number of guys down to a reasonable level. Deon wanted to know how many that would be, but Kevin sided with Mason and said that they’d have to trust Mason to do the right thing. If they didn’t trust him, they shouldn’t agree to share a place with him. That comment was why Mason resolved to be careful. If it was going to be a one-night stand—like he’d had that Friday night—he’d try to go to the other guy’s place rather than bring him home.

As he took the elevator to the ground floor for breakfast, Mason mentally planned his day. He was picking up Dexter at six that night so they could have dinner before heading to Liam’s and Clarissa’s party, but otherwise his day was empty. He could ask Dexter if he could hang out with him—he suspected Dexter would be spending the day at Bondi Beach—but he thought that would seem too clingy.

He decided against talking to Shri—the young Indian would probably want to know his plans for the night—and Mason didn’t want to tell him about the party. For some reason he hadn’t bothered to examine, he wanted to keep his sex network separate from his social network. Dexter was the only one who belonged to both.

He contemplated heading over early to help Liam and Clarissa prepare for the party, but it would be a pain to head back to the hotel to get changed and then take a taxi to pick up Dexter.

He was just reaching the point of considering wandering the streets of Sydney to see if there was anything interesting happening when an idea struck him. He had to wait until he was seated for a late breakfast before he could do anything about it, but once he was free, he sent off a text.

Fifteen minutes later, he had a positive reply. Mason grinned as he put his phone away. He had an hour to kill before he would need to leave. That gave him enough time to finish eating and still find something to take with him on his date. He didn’t want to disappoint the young woman he was going to see.

* * *

“Mason, you shouldn’t have!” Veronica’s expression was one of surprise mixed with thanks.

“Hey, if I’m going to have a chance to be Shelley’s babysitter in the future, I need to treat her right.” Mason grinned. “That means bringing her presents.”

Veronica shook her head as she placed the overly large mobile on a side table. “If you spoil her, you won’t be allowed to see her.” She smiled to show she wasn’t serious. “But we’ll excuse it this once.”

Mason wiped a hand across his brow in a theatrical motion. “That’s a relief. I thought I was in trouble.”

“You are, but I’ll let you get away with it if you promise not to do it again.”

Mason shook his head. “No deal. She’s a little girl, and being spoiled is her right. I’m going to treat her exactly the same as if she was my little sister.”

Veronica’s smile slipped. “You miss your family?”

Mason looked away. It was his friends back home that he missed, not his family, but he didn’t want to tell Veronica that.

“Sorry.” Veronica put a hand on Mason’s shoulder for a moment. “But it’s time to take Shelley to the park, so let’s get going.”

“Okay!” Mason pasted on a big smile as he looked around. “And where’s the young lady?”

Mason’s discussions earlier in the week with Deon and Kevin made him realise that he needed a wider circle of friends. He couldn’t rely on his sex network for a social life. Veronica had helped him during his first week in Sydney, and he didn’t want to lose that friendship. Spending a couple of hours in the park playing with Shelley was, in his mind, just part of that friendship. He had often wondered what it would be like to have a younger brother or sister, and Shelley allowed him to find out.

He was looking forward to spending time with the little girl.

* * *

“Will you please calm down?” Clarissa’s tone told Neil it was more an order than a request. “This is Liam’s and my party, not yours. It’s our responsibility if it doesn’t come off, so stop worrying about everything.”

“Sorry.”

“And stop apologising for things that you’re not responsible for.”

“Sorry…er…okay.”

Liam chuckled and pulled Neil into an embrace. “Don’t listen to her. She’s just as worried as you are; she just shows it differently.” He glanced past Neil to Clarissa. “I think everything’s ready. We just have to wait for some people to show up.”

“I know.” Clarissa’s glare swept the room. “Considering we don’t know most of the people coming, I hope everything works out.”

“Both Deon and Kevin gave us advice on food, and we’ve used Ollie’s recipe collection to enhance what’s available. The music is set to go as soon as we switch it on, and hopefully we have enough places around the unit for people to sit and chat. There’s not enough room for dancing, so we’re safe there, and there should be very few, if any, smokers. Ice and drinks are in the laundry tub, so we’re ready to go.”

“Yeah, and we have football players from two rival teams showing up at the same time.” Clarissa rolled her eyes. “What could possibly go wrong?”

“They’re all friends of either Deon or Kevin. Those two will set the expectations. And just in case, I’ve hidden all the knives.” When Clarissa spun around to glare at him, Liam laughed. “Relax! They’re professional sportsmen. If it were the fans being invited, you might have a reason to worry, but at worst we’ll see a professional rivalry, not fighting.”

Clarissa lost the attitude and collapsed into the nearest chair. “I know, but I can’t help worrying.” Her lips twisted upwards into a smirk. “That’s your boyfriend’s fault. It’s contagious.”

Liam’s response was cut short by the sound of the doorbell. The three occupants gave each other a puzzled look before Liam headed to the door. The party wasn’t due to start for another couple of hours.

“Mrs. Provan! How are you?”

The elderly neighbour with the dark red hair smiled as she held out a cake tin. “I heard you were having a party tonight, so I thought I’d bring over something sweet to finish the night off with, if it’s appropriate. If not, keep it in the fridge and you can have it tomorrow night.”

“Thank you,” Liam said as he accepted the gift, “but you shouldn’t’ve. We’ve got more than enough food here.” He stepped back. “Would you like to come in and have a cup of tea or coffee?”

She shook her head. “Not today. I’m sure you’ve more than enough on your plates.” She nodded towards the cake tin. “Just be aware, it’s very rich, so a small slice each will be more than enough. If you need extra dishes, let me know and I’ll bring them around.”

“I think we’ll be fine, but thanks!” Liam glanced at the container, wondering what exactly was inside, before looking back up. “We'll get the tin back to you when we’ve finished.”

She waved a hand to dismiss the idea. “Don’t bother. Consider the tin as our housewarming gift to you and Clarissa.” She winked. “You can never have too many containers for food.”

Liam wasn’t sure what was going on, but he smiled his thanks anyway. “How did you know we were having a party?”

She grinned. “You can blame your boyfriend. He told my husband earlier in the week as he passed him in the street.”

“Neil?” Liam looked over his shoulder to see a red-faced Neil avoiding eye contact.

“Anyway, time for me to go.” Mrs. Provan turned away and then looked back. “Oh, one more thing. My husband and I are going a little deaf in our old age, so don’t worry about noise.” She winked before waving and heading next door to the unit she and her husband owned.

Liam carefully carried the gift to the kitchen bench. “We’ll need to do something for them sometime soon.” He raised an eyebrow at Clarissa who had walked over to join him. “Should we invite them to dinner one night?”

“If you can think of something nice to cook for them.”

“We could do a roast,” Neil said. “Liam and I have cooked one once before, and it turned out okay.”

“That’s a good idea.” Liam grinned as he carefully levered the lid off the cake tin. The delicious and distinctive aroma hit them all at the same time.

“Lemon cheesecake!” Neil took a deep and contented breath. “Homemade, too.”

Clarissa took immediate charge. “Okay, mister, put the lid back on and hide it somewhere in the fridge where we can forget it until the party is over.”

Liam laughed. “Yes, sir!” He continued as he followed instructions, “But I think we should do as Mrs. Provan suggested and serve it at the end of the night just before people leave.”

“I’ll think about it.” Clarissa smiled at both Neil and Liam. “But if we forget, there’s more for us.”

When the doorbell rang a second time, Neil was the one to answer the door. “Deon! We didn’t expect you for another hour.”

Deon grinned, though his gaze skipped past Neil towards Clarissa. “I finished early and came straight here.” His steps faltered slightly when he was halfway across the room. “What smells so good?”

Clarissa, Liam and Neil shared a guilty look. “Our neighbour dropped off a cheesecake as a present,” Clarissa said. “We’ve just put it in the fridge.”

Deon gave his girlfriend a hug and a kiss. “You’ve got a good neighbour.” He looked around. “Anything you need me to do?”

Clarissa shook her head. “We’re all set. Once people start showing up, we’ll unwrap the first lot of food and put the oven on. Otherwise, it’s all done.”

“In that case, why don’t you relax?” Deon gave her another kiss before picking her up and moving towards the couch.

“Put me down, you big lug!” Clarissa’s pouting was spoilt by a giggle.

Liam grinned and took Neil’s hand. He tilted his head towards his bedroom. “I think they want to be left alone,” he whispered.

Neil answered with a grin. Clarissa wasn’t the only one who wanted some alone time with a boyfriend.

* * *

Mason whistled when Dexter appeared. “You’re looking good!” The dark-purple polo shirt was just tight enough to show off his muscles, and the beige dress shorts provided hints of the treasures Mason knew were within.

Dexter grinned as he gave Mason a quick visual onceover. “You’re not bad, yourself.”

Mason laughed as he climbed back into the taxi. He was wearing a tight, white T-shirt and cream pants that highlighted his dark skin. “Come on. Let’s get something to eat.” He turned to the driver and gave instructions for a place not far from where the party would be. His thought was if they finished dinner early, they could walk to Liam’s and Clarissa’s apartment.

“Do you know who’s going to be there tonight?” Dexter asked once they were on their way.

“Nope. The only ones I know are pretty much the same people you met last weekend. I’ve been told most of the people will be Deon’s and Kevin’s teammates and their dates.”

Dexter sighed and then smiled. “All of them off-limits, though I expect there will be lots of eye candy.” He winked.

“Hey, not all of the eye candy will be off-limits.” Mason waved a hand at himself. “I’m not taken.”

Dexter laughed. “You don’t have a low opinion of yourself, do you? Okay, just to stroke your ego, yes, you’re nice eye candy, and maybe I’ll be taking you home, but let’s see how the night pans out first.”

“Actually, I thought you could come home with me. I’ve only got two more nights in the hotel, so it’ll be our last chance for a bit of luxury before I move.”

Dexter smiled. “Speaking of moving. How’s the apartment hunting going? Find anything today?”

Mason hesitated as he thought about how much he should reveal. He trusted Dexter, but he wasn’t sure his parents would buy that apartment for him. “I didn’t look today. There’s a place I’m keeping an eye on, but it doesn’t become available until next weekend. That’s when I’ll see if I can grab it.”

“Oh?” Dexter raised an eyebrow. “Then what did you get up to today? I would’ve invited you to hang with me at the beach if I’d known.”

Mason grinned. “I went on a date.”

Dexter blinked. “Do I know him?”

“Her, and no. I doubt you’ve ever met.”

“Her?” Dexter frowned. “You’re bi?”

“Nope. One hundred percent gay, but she’s so sweet I couldn’t resist her. She’s the daughter of one of the professors at the university.”

Dexter’s frown deepened. “You’re using her to get on the good side of one of your lecturers?”

“Nope. He’s in the Business School, not Engineering.” Mason decided he didn’t want to mess with Dexter any longer. “Shelley is almost one year old, and her mom gave me some help last week soon after I arrived. I was just paying back a debt by taking Shelley out to the park on a play date. Plus, I never had a sibling, and I can pretend that she’s my little sister.”

Dexter stared for a moment before a soft smile appeared on his face. “You’re building a family since you’re away from your own.”

Mason hadn’t expected that insight. He thought about it and then slowly nodded. “You may be right. I’m also working to pick up a couple of brothers, too.” He grinned. “I’m hoping to share a place with Deon and Kevin. They’ve agreed if I can find somewhere suitable.”

“Deon? Deon Bradshaw? And Kevin from last weekend?” Dexter shook his head. “Unbelievable! You’ve been in the country for two weeks and you’ve already found a couple of hot football players to live with. Why can’t I have your life? I’ll never find anyone like those two.”

Mason turned away. The life he wanted was back home in the USA. He would do his best to make a life in Australia, but it wasn’t his choice.

When he felt a hand on his shoulder, Mason looked back to see a distraught-looking Dexter. “Mason, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I think you’re great. I’m not really looking for a boyfriend, but if I were, you’d be up at the top of the list. You’re a great guy who’s going through some tough times at the moment. If that offer to go back to your hotel after the party is still open, I’d like to accept.”

Mason started to feel better. There were people in Australia who cared for him. He could build a new life with them until he was able to return home. “Okay, but if I find out that one of those players tonight is open to trying something, all bets are off.”

Dexter smirked. “How about we make it a threesome if that’s the case?” He shrugged. “After all, I might be the lucky one.”

Mason laughed as the last of his sour mood disappeared. “Deal!”

* * *

“So, you’re George,” Oliver said. “Come in!”

Mitchell hesitated and gave Ben a worried glance. “George?”

“Ollie, what are you doing?”

Oliver looked innocent. “If it’s not George, it must be Sam. Either way, make yourself at home.”

“Ollie!” Ben tried to fix the disaster Oliver was causing. “There is no George. There is no Sam. You’re the only one I’m seeing, Mitchell.”

“Ah…Mitchell. Got it.” Oliver’s grin morphed into an expression of shock as he suddenly leant forward. He glanced back. “What did you do that for?” It was clear he’d just been hit across the back of his head.

“For playing around.” Helena smiled at Mitchell. “Ben hasn’t mentioned any George or Sam, and Ollie’s in trouble for implying he has. Ignore my boyfriend.”

Oliver narrowed his eyes at Helena. “Hey, no ignoring the chef. If you want dinner tonight, you have to be nice to me.”

She smiled back sweetly. “And if you want dessert, you have to be nice to not only me, but also to Ben and Mitchell.”

Oliver grinned. “I’ll be nice.” He turned to Mitchell. “There is no George or Sam. I was making that up.” He gave Mitchell a couple of exaggerated winks.

“Ollie!”

“Hey, you’re no fun.” He lifted a hand in greeting to Mitchell. “I’ll see you soon, but it’s time I got back to cooking, or dinner will be spoilt.”

Helena wrapped an arm around one of Mitchell’s and pulled him into the house. “Ben’s been talking a lot about this computer entrepreneur he’s been seeing. He says you own a business that produces computer games.”

Mitchell gave her a nervous chuckle while flashing Ben a distressed look. “I’ve written a couple of games, but I don’t have my own business. Not yet.”

“Helena, can I have Mitchell back? If you want to manhandle someone, Ollie will volunteer.”

“Always!” a voice from the kitchen called out.

Helena chuckled. “But he’s too easy. Gay boys are much more fun.”

“Helena…”

“Oh, okay.” She reached up to give Mitchell a kiss on the cheek before letting him go. “Look after Ben for me. He’s one of the good guys.”

Despite the awkward start, dinner turned out to be a great success. The food was up to Oliver’s usual excellent standard, and the discussion at the table, while more risqué than Ben wanted, was lively and interesting.

As usual, Oliver and Helena retired for the night immediately after dinner. When Mitchell seemed surprised, Ben chuckled. “Ollie’s view is that since he cooked, everyone else can clean up. Also, if Helena is here—which is most of the time—his bedtime is as soon as dinner is finished. That’s his bedtime; his sleeping time is usually sometime after midnight.”

Mitchell laughed. “And what’s your bedtime?”

Ben blushed while giving Mitchell a shy smile. “When do you want it to be?”

* * *

“I was told that you’re going to Sydney Uni. What are you studying?” Brenda asked.

Clarissa smiled at her guest. Brenda was the girlfriend of one of Deon’s teammates. When the guys started discussing football, she and a couple of the other girls had joined Clarissa in the kitchen. Mason and Neil were also there, retrieving a tray of chicken wings from the oven.

“I’ve applied for Economics, but offers don’t come out until Wednesday night next week. That’s when I find out if I got in.” Clarissa gave them a sheepish smile. “I’m confident I did well enough, but I’m still nervous. Until I get the offer, there’s the chance that something has gone wrong and I’ve missed out.”

“What’s your backup plan?”

“I’ve got a few other courses as lower preferences, including a couple at the university, so I’m confident I’ll get in somewhere, but my second preference isn’t at Sydney Uni, which means I won’t have my friends with me if I get that one.”

Mason glanced over from where Neil was transferring the wings onto a couple of serving trays. “Why not make a decision after seeing who offers you a place? If you prefer to be at Sydney Uni, accept that offer and reject the others.”

“It doesn’t work that way, Mason,” Neil said without looking up. “In Australia, you only get one offer. When you apply, you put the list of courses you want in preference order, no matter which university is offering the course. The offer you get is the highest on your preference list. For example, I’ve applied for six engineering courses across four different universities here in Sydney, with Sydney Uni being my first preference. That’s the one I hope to get.” He paused. “Actually, that’s not quite right. I think you get one for each state, since they all have their own university-admission systems, but since most people only apply for courses in their home state, that wouldn’t crop up very often.”

“You don’t get to see which college applications are successful?”

“Nope. Only the top one. So, you need to work out your preferred courses ahead of time.”

Mason frowned. “I’m going to have to think about that. I’m used to the idea of getting all the offers and then deciding which one to accept.” He chuckled. “Of course, it works out the same in the end, but our way has some people getting boasting rights to how many Ivy League college acceptances they received.”

Brenda smiled at the guys. “Hi, I’m Brenda. I don’t think we’ve been introduced.”

“Brenda, this is Neil and Mason.” Clarissa waved a hand at the two of them. “The tall, black guy is Mason, and if you couldn’t tell from the accent, he’s American. Neil’s Liam’s boyfriend, which means he also lives here. At least it seems that way at times, though that may be because school hasn’t started yet.” She grinned at Neil’s red-faced response before looking at the other guy. “Mason’s going to be doing engineering at Sydney Uni, and Neil’s applied for the same.”

Brenda chuckled. “You didn’t need to introduce Neil. I recognise him from the current-affairs program he was in last year.” She winked at Neil. “I’m good with remembering faces.”

Neil’s blush deepened, and he muttered something about needing to serve the food. He rushed out of the kitchen, taking one of the trays of chicken wings with him.

Mason grinned as he picked up the other tray and offered it to the girls. “Would you like something to eat?”

The girls all accepted his offer. As Clarissa took her piece of chicken, she frowned up at Mason. “What are you doing serving food? You’re a guest. Put it down somewhere and enjoy yourself.” She glanced around. “And where’s Dexter?”

“I am enjoying myself,” Mason said as he put the tray on the bench behind Clarissa. “Dexter’s talking Australian Rules football with Liam and the other guys, and while I love sports, I don’t understand a word of what they’re talking about, so I thought I’d mingle. Carrying food is a great way to make people talk to you.”

“As long as you don’t mind.” Clarissa nearly grimaced at the realisation that Mason’s helpful behaviour was putting her to shame. “But I think it’s my turn to do a circuit.” She picked up the tray and smiled an apology to the girls. “I’ll be back soon.”

Clarissa paused when she entered the living room. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Several different groups had formed, discussing different things. Not surprisingly, Deon was in the largest group that consisted of a mix of Sydney Swans and Greater Western Sydney players, and Clarissa didn’t need to overhear them to know they were discussing football.

She was intrigued, though, that Kevin and Daphne were in a different group, along with two other couples. She decided to head over there and offer them the food first. As she approached, she heard enough to hear them discussing some sort of parade.

“Anyone for some chicken wings?”

As everyone took a piece of food, Clarissa looked at Daphne. “You were talking about marching in a parade?”

“Not me. Kevin and maybe some of his teammates. The Mardi Gras parade is early March, and Kevin wants to march as part of the PFLAG group.”

Kevin nodded. “That is, unless the AFL or AFL Players’ Association organise a group, in which case I’ll march with them.” He glanced across at where Deon was in a vigorous discussion with a number of other players. “Deon’s already said he’ll march, and he thinks Jim Henderson will be in Sydney for the parade, too. That’ll be three, but I’m hoping I can find a few more.” He finished by staring at the other two football players in the group. “Maybe a couple of my teammates may want to join me.”

One of the guys shrugged his shoulders. “Hey, I said I’ll think about it. I didn’t say no.”

“Me, too,” the other player said. “Though the more you can get, the more likely I’ll march. No offense, but I’m concerned that if I’m in the Mardi Gras parade, people may think I’m gay.”

The girl at his side chuckled. “If they do, send them my way, and I’ll make sure they know the truth.”

Kevin rolled his eyes. “I don’t think anyone will assume we’re gay just because we’re marching. We’ll be in a group supporting those who are gay, like Liam, Neil, and Deon’s father.”

The two other couples both stiffened. “Wait, are you saying Deon’s dad is gay?”

“You didn’t know?” Kevin glanced at Clarissa. “I thought he was telling people.”

She snorted. “He is. Ask his teammates and I think you’ll find they all know. These guys,” she said, indicating the other players, “aren’t Deon’s teammates. They probably just haven’t heard the news yet.” She smiled at the guys in question. “And now they have.”

“That doesn’t bother you?” one of the girls asked.

“Why should it? I’m dating Deon, not his father.” She paused. “Sam and Marcus, Deon’s father and his partner, are nice guys. There’s nothing wrong with them as far as I’m concerned. Deon’s more than happy to march with his dad to show his support, and that’s fine with me.”

“But aren’t you worried that he’ll turn out to be gay, too?”

Clarissa chuckled. “Let’s just say that I’m not worried about that at all.”

She knew she was leaving a false impression that they’d been having sex, but she wasn’t concerned about her boyfriend. She knew what turned Deon on, and it wasn’t guys. Her concern was that football may turn him on even more than girls.

* * *

Dexter had dragged Mason back into the living room, saying he was needed. That was when Mason learnt that a number of the AFL players also followed American football and wanted his views. They were more interested in the NFL, while Mason preferred college football, but he still enjoyed himself as they discussed the different styles of play and who were the best quarterbacks.

When the topic turned to Australians playing in the NFL, Mason decided to turn the subject around. “Are there any American football players playing in the AFL?”

“I don’t believe so,” Deon said. He looked at the other players in the small group. “Do any of you guys know?”

“Not football players, but there are a few ex-college-basketball players.” Deon’s teammate Caleb smiled at Mason. “A namesake of yours was at the induction camp earlier this week. Mason Cox was drafted by Collingwood last year.”

“And Jason Holmes was drafted by St. Kilda the year before,” another player said. “There were also a couple of American-born players back in the late 80s and early 90s, but they were raised here in Australia, so I don’t think they count.”

“Patrick Mitchell was with us for a year before he decided to return home at the end of last year, but he only played for our reserves team in the NEAFL,” one of the Sydney Swans players said. “He may not have made it in the AFL, but he could certainly play basketball.”

“Basketball players?” Mason was surprised.

“They’re a better fit for Aussie Rules football than your football players. Jumping, coordination, speed; they’re the core skills for an AFL player, and there are a lot of roles where height is an advantage, too.”

Deon rolled his eyes. “Tell me about it. Mason Cox is a giant. He makes everyone around him look small. I heard he’s officially the tallest player in the AFL.”

Any further conversation on the topic was interrupted by a commotion at the front door. Mason looked over and saw two guys and a girl entering the apartment. The reaction from everyone else told him that there was something special about them, but he didn’t know what.

“Oh, my God!” Dexter appeared to be in shock. “That’s Jim Henderson!”

“Who?”

“We talked about him last Friday. You know, the gay football player.”

Deon approached the group, a broad grin on his face. “Brat, what the hell are you doing here?”

“Hey, I heard there was a party, and I wasn’t going to miss it,” the taller of the two guys said. “What I want to know is why I had to hear about it from Ollie.” He scanned the room and then pointed. “Neil, you’re supposed to keep me informed about important things like this!”

Neil chuckled before yelling back across the room. “Brat, this wasn’t my party. If you’ve got a complaint, speak to Clarissa.”

Clarissa, who was in the midst of greeting the new girl, glared back at Neil. “Leave me out of it. I wasn’t responsible for invites.”

“Who is that?” Mason asked Caleb.

“Ty Flanders, but he’s becoming better known as the brat. He’s a good friend of Jim Henderson. He, Deon and Jim played football together last year.” Caleb had a faint frown on his face. “Assuming they had training today like we did, they must have flown up from Melbourne soon after they finished.”

Mason nodded as he recalled Neil mentioning Ty and his nickname previously. “Training?”

“Both of them are with the Carlton Football Club back in Melbourne. Ty was drafted in the first round while Jim was drafted during the rookie draft a week later. Deon and I got drafted by GWS.”

Dexter gave Mason a sheepish smile. “Excuse me, but I need to see if I can get a selfie with Jim. The guys at the bar won’t believe me otherwise.”

Mason snickered. He recognised hero-worship when he saw it. He watched Dexter head over to Jim and then turned back to the others. The frown on Caleb’s face had become more prominent. “Is something wrong?”

Caleb shook his head as if to clear it and then smiled at Mason. “No. It’s just some things are becoming clearer.” He nodded to where Deon was introducing Ty to a few people, while Jim was talking with Neil. “They played together last season for the Lilydale Leopards. I’d heard rumours about how tight the guys were, but I hadn’t realised exactly how tight that was until now. If Ty and Jim flew up here because of Deon, then that says something. I’m guessing they’ll probably have an early flight back tomorrow unless they’ve got the day off from training.”

Mason stared for a moment and then shrugged. It wasn’t any of his business.

* * *

“Where’s Tony?” Neil asked Jim. Since Karen had accompanied Ty, Neil was surprised that Jim’s boyfriend wasn’t also there.

“He couldn’t make it. He’s got a commitment tomorrow morning that he couldn’t get out of.” Jim rolled his eyes. “I’m only here because the brat wore me down. Flying to Sydney for a party is excessive in my book, but once he got the idea in his head…”

Neil chuckled. “He’s like that, but his intentions are good.” He stared for a moment. “You’ve really just flown up here just for the party?”

“Almost. The brat’s got something he wants to discuss with Deon in private that he didn’t want to do by phone. I’m not sure what it is, but he told me it was important.” He glanced around and then lowered his voice. “I’m guessing it’s got something to do with Dave.”

Neil nodded but kept his mouth shut. He knew the trial was coming up and had been asked if he could be back in Melbourne during the week starting the Australia Day long weekend. Neil wasn’t sure that it would make a difference, but since Ty had asked, he’d said yes.

Their conversation was ended by Dexter’s arrival. “Excuse me, but can I get a picture with you?”

Neil chuckled. “Jim, this is Dexter. He works at a gay bar we went to last weekend. He’s a friend of ours, though more Mason’s than the rest of us.”

“G’day, Dexter.” Jim smiled. “Sure, go ahead. Would you like Neil to take the photo for you?”

Dexter looked across at Neil. “If you don’t mind?”

Neil grinned. He knew Jim well enough that he didn’t really want his picture taken, but he also knew Jim wasn’t going to say no when asked. Jim didn’t like his celebrity status, but he wasn’t going to be obnoxious to his fans.

* * *

“Brat, this is Mason. Mason, this is Ty, but he prefers to be called the brat.” Deon grinned. “Brat, you need to be nice to this guy if you want to stay with me and Kevin for the Mardi Gras. It looks like we may be sharing a place with him since he’s actively looking for somewhere to live. Kevin and I still haven’t gotten around to checking out places, so we’re letting Mason look for all of us.”

Ty stuck out his hand. “Pleased to meet you.” He cocked his head while they shook. “You don’t look insane, so why did you agree to live with this big baby?”

Deon glared. “Brat!”

Ty winked at Mason. “Deon’s a good guy. I lived with him for all of last year, so I know all his bad habits. Let me know if you want to discuss them in detail. After you get the gory details, you may not want to share with him.”

“Brat!” This time Deon sounded more plaintive than angry.

Mason chuckled. “I might take you up on that offer, but so far I’ve collected most of the gossip from Clarissa and Neil. They seem to know him well, too.”

Ty shrugged. “Not as well as me.” He paused. “Though I’m sure there’s things that Clarissa knows that I don’t, and I think it should stay that way.”

Mason laughed. He already felt relaxed with Ty, which wasn’t common for Mason. He sensed there was more to Ty than met the eye, but what he could see, he liked. “So, you’re looking for a place to stay for the Mardi Gras. What’s in it for me?” He took the time to give Ty’s body a visual once-over while licking his lips.

Ty grinned. “Not that. I’m taken.” He caught Mason’s eye and a hint of something appeared in his expression. “You’re gay?”

“One hundred percent. I’ve suggested to Deon and Kevin that we should make a rule that they should be naked at all times when we’re in the apartment, but for some reason they’re not keen on the idea.” He leant forward and whispered loudly enough for Deon to hear him. “I really don’t understand why.”

“You’re dreaming if you think I’m going to parade around without clothes.” Deon chuckled. “Now, the brat you could probably convince. He’s got no sense of modesty at all.”

“Hey, I’m modest! It’s not my fault that I’m perfect.” Ty turned to Mason and narrowed his eyes. “But it’ll be all looking and no touching. Touching is reserved for Karen.”

“Brat, ease up or I’ll tell Karen you’re flirting with my future flatmate.” Deon smirked. “And we both know what happens if she finds out.”

Ty gave a large and obvious shudder. He then grinned. “By the way, Deon, I need a private word with you before I fly back home. Which will work out better for you: tonight or early tomorrow morning?”

Deon frowned. “Probably tonight. I’m not sure I’ll be able to make it back here tomorrow morning before you’re gone.”

“Okay. Come and grab me when you’re free.” Ty looked around. “Time for me to mingle some more. I need to educate all these guys that Carlton are the best football team in the league.”

Deon rolled his eyes. “And you accused Mason of being insane?”

* * *

Karen gave Clarissa a hug. “How are you doing?”

“I’m fine.” Clarissa narrowed her eyes. “Why?”

“Because you’re effectively up here by yourself. Yeah, I know Deon is here, and so are Liam and Neil, but none of your girlfriends are in Sydney.”

Clarissa let go of the belligerent response she was going to give. She knew Karen was simply looking out for her. “I’m doing okay. Daphne’s helping a lot, and while he’s a guy, Mason is going out of his way to be nice to me, too.”

“I didn’t get to see much of Daphne when she was in Melbourne, but Kevin seems smitten with her. He’s barely left her side the whole time I’ve been here.”

Clarissa snickered. “I think it’s a step or two beyond smitten. He treats her as if she’s made of glass and could break at any time.”

“She is…” Karen said slowly while staring across the room at where Kevin and Daphne were standing. “There’s something about her that has me concerned.” She glanced at Clarissa. “That’s concerned for her, not about her. Maybe I’m wrong, but I really do think she’s fragile. If she’s hit the wrong way, I think she’ll shatter.”

“Hit how?”

“That’s what I don’t know.” Karen ground her teeth. “I can sense it, but I don’t understand the what or the why. And I won’t be around long enough to try to find out.”

“Do you want me to try to find out?”

Karen shook her head. “I might be wrong, and if you start digging, you may alienate her. You’re getting along well with her at the moment, aren’t you?” When Clarissa nodded, Karen continued. “Then just keep doing what you’re doing. Friendship may be all the strength she needs to avoid breaking.”

“You’re really serious about this.” Clarissa turned to stare across the room, but she couldn’t see what Karen was seeing. “Any chance that you’re wrong?”

“Lots of chances, but I don’t like taking risks with the wellbeing of my friends. That’s why Ty didn’t have to argue very long before I agreed to fly up with him today. I wanted to check that you were okay.” Karen grimaced. “I really couldn’t afford the trip, but Ty agreed to pay for it. He had his own reasons for wanting to be here.”

Clarissa didn’t ask what those reasons were. Karen was a good friend, but as someone training to be a psychologist, she could also be very tight-lipped when it came to other people’s secrets.

* * *

Deon sat down on the edge of Clarissa’s bed. “What did you want to talk to me about?” The party was beginning to wind down, and he’d taken the opportunity for the private chat that Ty wanted.

Ty stayed standing by the closed bedroom door. “I haven’t heard whether you’re coming to Melbourne to support Dave. He really needs your support. He needs all of our support.”

Deon sighed. “The club gave me the okay today. I’ve emailed Hawthorn so they can organise flights for me, but I was waiting to hear back from them before I called you.”

Ty smiled. “Thanks. Okay, let’s go back to the party.”

“That’s it?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“Did you fly up here just to ask me about this?” Deon gave Ty a hard stare.

Ty made a face and then nodded. “It’s that important. I thought it’d be better to do this face-to-face just in case I needed to persuade you. I was prepared to go to GWS tomorrow and plead if necessary.”

“Brat, I said I would go if I was allowed. You didn’t need to persuade me.”

“I know. It’s what would happen if they didn’t allow it that made me come here tonight.” Ty dropped his head. “I was prepared to ask you to go, anyway, even if I couldn’t convince your club to say yes.” He looked up. “I’m glad I didn’t have to do that to you.”

Deon stayed silent. He wasn’t sure what he would’ve done if that had occurred. Defying his club would’ve risked damaging his career before it had even started. Ty knew that. After missing out on the draft when they were eighteen, they were both fully aware of how fragile their football futures could be. Deon would probably only be disciplined for a first-time offense, but it would be a significant negative on his player profile to make up for over the two years of his contract.

“Let me know when you’ll be showing up and I’ll make sure either myself or someone else picks you up from the airport.” Ty smiled. “I owe you that much and more.”

“Sure thing, brat.”

“Then that’s it. Only the flights to organise.” Ty reached for the doorknob.

“Not quite.” When Ty stopped and gave him a quizzical look, Deon explained. “I still have to tell Clarissa that I’m going to be away again. She’s expecting me to be in Sydney for the next couple of months.”

Ty chuckled while giving Deon a sympathetic smile. “I’ll leave that one to you. If I tried to tell her, she’d probably castrate me.”

Deon laughed. “I know. Hopefully, she won’t go that far with me.”

Copyright © 2018 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kevin and I still haven’t gotten around to checking out places, so we’re letting Kevin look for all of us

quick edit needed on the second Kevin, should be Mason.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Following right along with the boys again, but I still don't know what to make of Mason.  I don't know if it's something in his upbringing, or his character that gives me pause, but I hope things will work out for him.  Some people it just takes longer to warm up to, while the others are already old friends.

I got the feeling that some of the guests weren't comfortable with others being gay...and if that's true, then they won't be friends of the core group for long, knowing how protective Clarissa can be for her friends.  I'm thinking of the Caleb guy, and the girl who seemed to be put off at Jim's appearance.

More please Graeme!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
57 minutes ago, Paqman said:

Kevin and I still haven’t gotten around to checking out places, so we’re letting Kevin look for all of us

quick edit needed on the second Kevin, should be Mason.

 

Yes, someone else pointed that out to me. I'll fix that soon :)

27 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Following right along with the boys again, but I still don't know what to make of Mason.  I don't know if it's something in his upbringing, or his character that gives me pause, but I hope things will work out for him.  Some people it just takes longer to warm up to, while the others are already old friends.

I got the feeling that some of the guests weren't comfortable with others being gay...and if that's true, then they won't be friends of the core group for long, knowing how protective Clarissa can be for her friends.  I'm thinking of the Caleb guy, and the girl who seemed to be put off at Jim's appearance.

More please Graeme!

I think Caleb was more surprised than uncomfortable. It's a minor celebrity who lives in another state dropping in to a small party...not exactly something to be expected :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 I googled Mason Cox as well, good interview on player's voice. I think I may have spotted one man taller a few years ago, about 40cm taller than anyone else in the pub. Unless he was wearing platform boots but it wasn't the 1970s.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
18 hours ago, Paqman said:

 I googled Mason Cox as well, good interview on player's voice. I think I may have spotted one man taller a few years ago, about 40cm taller than anyone else in the pub. Unless he was wearing platform boots but it wasn't the 1970s.

Mason Cox is the inspiration for Mason's name in this story :) He's an exceptional athlete. 

Link to comment

Poor Ben, he's not having an easy time, even if he's enjoying Mitchell's company. I'm glad Helena smacked Ollie, who should have known better than to tease Ben like that. I'm hoping Ben's wrong about the potential reaction of his father, but maybe not. :pinch: In which case his reluctance to get a boyfriend is perfectly understandable. However, it's one thing to react violently to the news when Ben is present and another for his father to sustain the anger enough to travel all the way to Melbourne to take it out on his son. Puts the crime into 'premeditated' too.

Karen has great instincts. Daphne is indeed very fragile, but we know Kevin is both besotted and protective. Clarissa will make an extra effort to befriend Daphne after the talk with Karen and she'll be better prepared when Daphne comes out to her. I hope it happens soon, because it will also mean Daphne has come to trust Clarissa. They could become great friends if that happens.

Mason and Dexter have good instincts too. It's good for Mason to find a surrogate family and new friends, and I have the feeling he might decide to stay in Sydney, if he also manages to find a serious boyfriend before his four years are over. In that case his parents have lost him for good, but they might be relieved, especially if his mom continues in politics. I found it a bit funny how Deon was worried about the consequences for him and Kevin, when Mason should be worried about the possibility of him getting publicity from associating with football players. But wait, he doesn't know about the need to keep a low profile, since his parents foolishly didn't tell him - and on the other hand, it's no harm done, since the bad guys already know where he is, and are probably planning to drug-kill the guy who shot Robbie, rather than kill Mason to protect him.

I should have guessed Ty would find a way to gatecrash the party. :lol: But I can't fault him for wanting to help Dave. If Clarissa hasn't started university yet, I'm sure she'll be happy to let Deon pay for her to accompany him to Melbourne. She can visit friends and family while he  trains with Ty and Jim at Carlton. 

 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Thanks, @Timothy M.! As usual, I can't comment on too much, but regarding your last comment, Clarissa would be travelling back to Melbourne (from Sydney) to visit family and friends.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Graeme said:

Clarissa would be travelling back to Melbourne (from Sydney) to visit family and friends.

 

:facepalm: of course - and I've edited my comment accordingly.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..