Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 10,640 Words
  • 945 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 11. Chapter 11

A long chapter but important

 

 

The street of the silk merchants was thronged with people buying, selling, or just strolling along looking at the wares on display. Alexandria, being at the hub of trade routes both by sea and by land, was thronged with a variety of merchandise from many countries. And the babble of languages from many far-flung regions gave this part of Alexandria a flavor of mystery.

As Amenko made his way through the crowds, he found the atmosphere heady. But he wasn’t here to buy. His was a dangerous mission that would have severe consequences if he were exposed.

Even though he was focused on his current purpose, his thoughts drifted back to the departure of Farhan - two days previous.

 

It was obvious that Adlai and Farhan were very close friends. I remember how each tried to hold back manly tears at their parting. Farhan more so. He was a strange one. Even though he made it quite clear what he thought of me, I sensed he was not a vindictive person. No. On the contrary. Farhan was like a little child craving affection. And Adlai and Farhan had

indeed bonded, at first by being shipmates but certainly with the tragic death of little Hamal. What an awful way to die. Terrible.

Such friendships are never lost however, for the power of the bond established between them can never be severed. I only wish that I could have such a friendship – alas, that’s not to be. And Adlai. Since visiting the holy man, he has acquired a new intensity. It seems he has at last found a purpose in life. Again – I’m jealous. But perhaps with my life . . . aha! Here’s the shop.

 

Amenko entered the shop that was cluttered with all kinds of silk fabrics. All colors. All designs. All sizes and patterns. The aroma of incense was extremely pleasant.

“Could you tell me the way to the traders in gold, please?”

This was asked of an old man with very dark skin who had the features of a desert dweller – a Bedu. For a long moment, he didn’t reply but fussed about with some small bits and pieces of silk. Eventually,

“Today is not a good day to buy gold but will be profitable to a seller.”

“Thank you – I wish to sell.”

Again, there was silence as the merchant keenly observed Amenko and then with a toss of his head said,

“Follow me”.

The merchant ushered Amenko into a back room obviously used as a storage facility. Bales of silk materials rose from floor to ceiling and absolutely deadened all sound. Even footsteps could not be heard. The Bedu favored Amenko with a hostile look as he sat himself on a bale of silk.

“You’re overdue. I was told to expect you yesterday. I don’t like being kept waiting especially as ours is a dangerous business. What have you got for me?”

Amenko became incensed at being spoken to in such a tone and immediately bristled.

“What have I got for you? First, you can drop the arrogant attitude. I don’t work for you and I’m putting myself at great risk getting you information. It’s I who’s in danger – not you. So let’s get that straight. I’m thoroughly tired of your attitude. We both have equal roles to play. I’m the source and you’re the messenger – OK?”

A little taken aback by Amenko’s aggression, the Bedu became conciliatory and opened his arms as a peace gesture.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that I’ve got to be wary. Also, having a catamite as a source is a little disconcerting. But I must admit I do have a little respect for what you’re doing. I know Tacfarinas values highly the intelligence you supply on Roman troop movements. Can I ask you why you do this? Why are you assisting Tacfarinas to fight Rome?”

A little more relaxed Amenko replied,

“My mother is Aegyptian, my father is a Musulamii, from the same tribe as Tacfarinas, and was driven from his lands by greedy Roman landlords. He lost all his means of support, and is now reduced to managing someone else’s affairs. I hate Rome. I hate its arrogance. I hate its greed and I hate its scant regard for other humans. Romans are like a pestilence which poisons the earth.”

“Well said. Yes, I understand your motivation. My own father was dispossessed by greedy Romans.” Then with a somber gaze at Amenko, he continued.

“I assume you know the risks involved? They will show you no mercy. If you’re caught, knowing they were duped by a catamite will make your death especially grim.”

“I know the risks and will accept my fate should it come to that. Now, let me report.” With an unperceivable nod of his head, the merchant encouraged Amenko to proceed.

“I was able to intercept a message from Governor Gaius Valerius to the African province Governor Lucus Apronius.”

The merchant raised his eyebrows signaling that he was impressed and went to interrupt, but Amenko silenced him before continuing.

No – please don’t interrupt. I’ll answer your questions in due course.” Then continued,

“A legion has been sent to Governor Lucus Apronius from Valerius Gratus in Alexandria to help with the mopping up operation against Tacfarinas. Why Tacfarinas chose to face a Roman army head on is a mystery to me? In fact stupid. Very stupid. But to continue. The legion will be temporarily attached to the Third Augusta, and will be commanded by a centurion Rufus Julius Antonius. They will disembark at Sousse on the coast of Africa and then march to join Lucus Antonius at Ammaedara 79. It’s a short march but they’ll need to reach Ammaedara by way of the Kasserine pass. This is the only route they can take. As a child I travelled through this pass often and can say it is a perfect place for an ambush. An ambush – not a regular battle.”

 

Amenko paused which allowed the merchant to ask, “When did the legion sail?”

“Today. At full tide. This afternoon. It’ll take three days to reach Sousse and then another two days to reach the Kasserine pass. How quickly can you get this news to Tacfarinas?”

“Tacfarinas is at Benghazi which is two days hard riding. I’ll make sure he gets your message even before the Roman’s disembark at Souse. This is wonderful news! Tremendous news! I have long thought Tacfarinas wrong in facing a Roman army head on. If he can inflict major damage to this legion then the Romans will have to listen to our demands.”

“Hmmm, perhaps. Let’s not underestimate the Romans. They can be vicious when provoked. Remember any adverse challenge to their authority could have dire implications for their whole empire.”

The merchant was excited at Amenko’s news. This was indeed important information. But, a thought crossed his mind.

“How valid is this information? How did you come by such intelligence? How? It could be a trap. I need to know, to satisfy myself before getting word to Tacfarinas. What if it’s a trap?”

Amenko allowed himself a brief smile before replying, “Are you familiar with the name Cornelius Varro?”

“Of course. Everyone knows the Senior Legate to Valerius Gratus. But what has . . .”

Suddenly the import of Amenko’s question slammed into him. He sat with his mouth open – too stunned to continue.

Into the silence Amenko replied,

“Cornelius Varro is a client of mine. In fact, more than a client. He’s madly in love with me and offers all kinds of information in order to impress. By passing on sensitive information, he seeks only to earn my love. Poor man.”

“Does he not know that he’s endangering the Roman army by freely giving sensitive orders?”

“Of course not! Who would regard a mere catamite as being dangerous?”

* * * 

 

Qumran was not a place for ordinary people. It was just a settlement for the Essenes to have a place for regular gatherings without being harassed by the less devout. Just south of Jericho, it was positioned near the Dead Sea. The only drinkable water came from a single spring emanating from the vast underground water table of the region. The complex consisted of a communal hall, temple, dormitories, and fields where produce was grown for food. It was a hostile place. An arid place. And ideal for the practice of religion.

 

The meeting was a simple continuance of their first gathering in Sepphoris. A re-affirmation of their long-term goals.; and disappointing in that Brother Zechariah had reported little success in finding a messenger to reach out to the people.

As the meeting broke up Abir drew Simon aside and said,

“Brother, I must speak with you on an urgent and personal matter. Let us adjourn to a room where we can talk privately. Once safely out of earshot Abir confronted Simon – but before he’d uttered a word Simon intervened,

“It’s Tavi, isn’t it? This infatuation with your daughter is destroying him. And I’m sure you’re having your own problems with him. Am I right?”

“Yes, Yes. A big problem. What was once a foolish infatuation has become almost harassment. He pesters my daughter Maria who assures me his advances are not welcome. She is becoming distressed and Tavi more confrontational. You must do something – please.”

 

Simon let out a long sigh. No point in evading the issue any more. The problem must be resolved.

 

In a voice full of concern he said softly, almost wistfully,

“From my viewpoint I can see two young people being distressed. First your daughter. She shouldn’t have to endure unwelcome advances and second, there’s Tavi. This is the first time he’s been conquered by love. He can overcome any physical challenge but this – this is a whole new world. He’s taught himself to be a killer and knows nothing of emotional issues concerning the fairer sex. Nothing. He’s become frustrated because he doesn’t know what to do. I see him . . .”

Abir interrupted with,

“I really don’t want to know his problems. It’s my daughter I’m only concerned with.” And then very sharply, “Just get him off our backs!”

Simon ignored the hostile tone and continued on with,

“. . . as a very confused young man. But he’s got a particular talent that we must nurture.” Into the silence Abir said, still aggressively, “Didn’t you say you might send him away?”

“Yes. Yes I did. But I’ve been hesitating knowing how fragile he is right now. But perhaps . . .”

Again, Abir interrupted, a little less aggressively with, “Look. I know it’s a difficult situation for you. And I suppose my hounding you doesn’t help. But the situation has reached a point when . . . no, what I mean to say is – it can’t go on like this. You’ve got to do something.”

“Alright. Allright. I had planned to send him to Alexandria. Now I’ll fast track that move. But don’t think for one moment, Abir that this will solve Maria’s problem. Has she very forcefully rejected his advances? Has she told Tavi to his face she doesn’t want him. Ever?”

This gave Abir pause for thought. “Well if she has it hasn’t discouraged him. Perhaps I should confront him myself.”

“I’ll leave that to you – to your better judgment. But, let’s approach this intelligently. Let me tell Tavi of his reassignment first and then Maria can say, well, it’s for the best. Yes, the more I think on it, it’s the right move. What do you think?”

A wave of relief washed over Abir as he replied, “Yes. Yes, that’s the best way to handle Tavi. A good solution.” And then a little more friendly he continued,

“I see why you’re such a good leader of men. That solution helps everyone. I apologize for being a little brittle before. My daughter’s welfare is important to me. If only her mother hadn’t died and left me to raise her alone. Thank You.”

* * * 

 

But nothing ever really goes to plan. When Simon told Tavi of his reassignment, his first reaction was to worry about being away from Maria. His exact words were,

“You see Simon; she’s going to miss me very much.”

Simon could do no more than impress on Tavi the importance of his reassignment. But privately he worried at Tavi’s attitude, which was completely at odds with Abir’s discussion with him.

 

Well, I’ve done all I can. The issue is now between Tavi, Abir, and Maria. But perhaps we all can share the blame for Tavi’s shortcomings on a social level. Expert in the use of weaponry, Tavi has never had any female nurturing that’s so important to the developing young male. He has never learnt how to respond to women.

 

And Tavi, when visiting Maria the next day failed to observe her obvious relief at the news. Dominating the conversation, Tavi made a promise to write every day as a reminder of his enduring love. Even when he asked for a lock of her hair and she refused, Tavi still didn’t get the message.

Having mastered all other challenges, he couldn’t comprehend that on this issue - this emotion issue - he was not going to win. Ever.

 * * * 

“Are you religious?”

The question addressed to Adlai came unexpectedly and caught him completely off guard. It was mid-morning on another mild Alexandrian day, and Ibrahim and Adlai were sitting alone in the garden of Ibrahim’s villa. The meeting had begun – as had so many – by the taking of refreshments over polite social chitchat. Ibrahim was always keen to learn what his star pupil had been doing since last they met.

Then without warning Ibrahim posed the question. Adlai could find no ready answer.

“I don’t know how to answer that. If we’re talking about life after death most religions, as you’ve taught me, believe only in reincarnation not ascension to heaven – or down to hell. It’s much too vague for me to answer. In fact, I can’t answer. Let me now ask you a question. Define what you mean by religion?”

This brought a merry twinkle to Ibrahim’s eye. Adlai was indeed a worthy student.

“Hmmm, that was well done. Not only have you turned the onus back on me but you’ve posed a very interesting question. Define Religion. Let’s see. The easy answer would be that any form of group conduct that recognizes – as supreme authority – a single, or plural, entity or entities, could be regarded as a religion. But this supreme authority must be ethereal – not of human form.”

Then Ibrahim began to nod his head as he sat in silence considering what he’d just said.

“That’s too bland. Too vague. To ambiguous. Instead, let me tell you what I dislike about religion. Maybe that’s a better way to answer the question.”

With that, he leaned forward towards Adlai who was sitting comfortably against a palm tree.

“To me, religion seeks to do three things. First to divide people. To separate Us from Them. Secondly to control its believers. To manipulate. And lastly to delude or mislead its followers. To deceive.

In a sense all religions also offer comfort to followers but only, and I stress only, if people adhere to the strict rules of behavior – to a precise code of conduct.”

Ibrahim paused to see how Adlai was digesting what had just been said. Adlai sat with a slight frown and then breaking the silence, he proposed a question.

“But what of our – my Jewish – Ten Commandments. Surely, they give a sound basis for human behavior? Do you not consider them a good set of rules?”

“Yes and No. I mean, aren’t they confusing? Should you honour a father who abuses his wife and children? Then who isn’t prepared to kill when it’s self-defense. And to me they’re inadequate. They can’t and don’t embrace all of life’s problems. They were created for a bygone people in a bygone age. At that time, they are absolutely absolute. ‘Thou shalt not steal!’ What about a father who must steal to simply feed his children. Has he really done wrong?”

To Adlai it was as if his mind had been cleansed of impurities. It was strange, but to hear Ibrahim talk this way he began to see things differently.

 

As Ibrahim said – I’ve been brainwashed from the moment of my birth. I know implicitly that to provide answers to questions I must first clear my own mind. Never, ever, have I ever challenged what the Rabbi taught. Never. Because when you’re young, you trust what grown-ups tell you as being the absolute truth. But then it’s insidious. They - my parents and the Rabbi’s parents - were all probably brainwashed themselves. It’s dangerous. Sinister.

 

“You look as if you’ve been trampled by a camel Adlai. You’re face indicates deep concern. Have I offended you?”

“No. No, not in the least. It’s as if a light has come to illuminate my soul. I realize now I can’t go out and teach people without first cleansing my own mind of impurities. I’m going to challenge all that I’ve been taught, and then find more questions that are not based on past erroneous learning. Only then can I consider answers to these new questions. I can only thank you Ibrahim. Really thank you. I’m on the threshold of a new beginning.”

“It’s wonderful to be able to teach you Adlai. I’ve never had such an enquiring mind to pass on my teachings. You are now making a brand new start. But there is much more to discuss."

* * *

 

The intelligence from Amenko reached Tacfarinas within two days. As soon as he’d digested the importance of the news, he called the tribal chiefs into conference.

Tacfarinas was a man scarred by battle, originally fighting for Rome and then against. He was a Berber of the Musulamii tribe and had recently had the worst in a head- to-head conflict with the Romans. Scars on his face and arms attested to his many encounters. Although he hadn’t led his men into any successful conflict with the Romans, his men would follow wherever he ordered.

In this atmosphere, they gathered around a rough terrain outline on the ground showing where the roman legion would approach Ammaedara.

“They must advance through the Kassarini pass. It’s the only direct way from Sousse to Ammaedara. Do any of you know the pass and surrounding countryside? This is a situation totally to our benefit so we must exploit the advantage relentlessly. Speak up!”

“I know the area and I’m familiar with the pass itself.” This from a young Berber chieftain who was standing at the back. On Tacfarinas’ beckoning, he was pushed to the front.

“Speak.” Commanded Tacfarinas.

“The pass is approached by a wide plain and then narrows – here -to the pass itself. Once through the pass the ground climbs uphill – here - for a short distance . . . Umm. . Two thousand paces and then levels off into a wide valley”

Addressing the young chief, Tacfarinas asked, “If we place someone on the heights would they command a good view of the pass and surroundings?”

“Yes. Yes indeed. I’ve been there and not only can you view the entrance and exit to the pass but you have an excellent view of the pass itself.”

“Thank you.” Then after a moment, “How long is the pass itself?”

“About one thousand paces.”

All eyes turned to Tacfarinas who stood thoughtfully gazing at the ground layout before him. Silence continued for several moments.

Suddenly, making a decision, he turned to face the assemblage and said confidently,

“Gather round. Here - this is what we’ll do.”

* * * 

 

Rufus glanced again at the rough terrain map given him before they set out from Sousse. The sea voyage had been one of the worst experiences he’d ever lived through. As soon as they left Alexandria, he was hopelessly seasick and was miserable for the whole voyage. The only redeeming factor was that most of the legionaries were no better. How anyone would go to sea for a living was unfathomable. Crazy!

 

He could see the pass now as it was indicated on the map. It looked peaceful enough. Why wouldn’t it?

Riding at the front, with the legion 80 stretched out behind he felt secure. Confident. The recent defeat of that puny rebel Tacfarinas had finally brought peace to this vital province.

 

My arse it’s hot. Once we’re through the damn pass I’ll make a decision to either push on to Ammaedara or perhaps encamp for the night. It’ll be an easy march then to the township.

What I wouldn’t do for a cold beer or better still a whole jug of wine. I wonder what the Berber women are like. I’ve heard that they’re ugly so they won’t mind someone ugly like me. Ha-ha! When it comes down to it, for a soldier, what’s important is to get some relief for your loins rather than gazing on a pretty face.

But wait till they find out what a stud I am and they’ll come begging for more. Delicious. Ahh, but there’s nothing like having a juicy Jewess for a fuck!

 

Focused, as he was on the terrain in front, he didn’t see the flash of light from the mountaintop. And the legionaries failed to see the flash of light. And, if they had, it would have been ignored. Then, from over the rim of the valley ahead which then drops down to the pass, came a group of horsemen – clearly Berbers. Their sudden appearance, riding hard and brandishing their peculiar curved swords alarmed the legion as it entered the pass.

“Hold. Hold your ranks. They’re only skirmishers, probably sent to make mischief.” And to his leading centurions he said,

“Just in case, keep a close watch on them and also watch the sides of the pass. I’m not going to take any chances however minimal the threat is.”

And so they watched as they marched. They watched the Berbers up ahead and they carefully scrutinized the walls of the pass. There was no danger, in fact, the Romans started to laugh and taunt the puny Berber force.

But they didn’t watch behind the column. The rear.

As soon as the last Romans had entered the pass, Tacfarinas’ main force of two thousand tribesmen swept down on the marching column from behind. He had divided his force in two and they had lain unseen on either side of the entrance to the defile.

Now the full strength of the Berber force fell upon the Romans from behind. The first the Romans knew was the sound of drumming hooves and the wild shrieks of the enemy. In the rear, they turned at the sound but it was too late. Tacfarinas fell on them with animal savagery. His men, having endured cruel defeat at the hands of these invaders needed no urging. They lusted to kill Romans.

The momentum of the charge ploughed into the Romans, trampling men and animals, to death. Swinging their wicked curved swords they chopped, cut, stabbed, and beheaded in a frenzy of killing.

As the charge of death progressed, the Romans at the rear trampled on their fellows ahead to try and escape death. The whole Roman line began to crumble.

Onward swept the Berbers. Onward swept the killing machine. All the frustration of defeat was released. They spared no one. The noise was incredible. The pass was filled with the shrieks of the Berbers, the cries of men terrorized, the braying of pack animals and the screams of the dying.

Then the smell of spilt blood, voided bowels, and bladders, the stench of human viscera added to the scene of carnage. The ground became a kaleidoscope of color – predominately red.

Some Romans, including Rufus, tried to escape onto the plain beyond the pass. But they were easily cut down by the small force that had initially teased the Romans.

All, except Rufus. Tacfarinas had given strict instructions to save the commander. With what was to follow, death would have been more preferable.

At last, the killing stopped because there was no one left to kill. It was a nightmare. Nearly 5000 men had been slaughtered in so short a time.

Carnage. Carnage everywhere. Some of the younger Berbers, not having been involved in mass killing before, simply vomited. This added to the awful smell that assaulted Rufus’ nostrils as he was led before Tacfarinas.

Rufus was in shock. The sounds of battle had ceased. The sounds of the dying were diminishing but the awful smell of death thrived in the warm sunshine. His command was gone. A whole legion – slaughtered. Except him. Except Rufus.

A group of Berbers surrounded him but did not attack.

Ohh – how he longed for death. He made a feeble attempt to fight, but was quickly overcome by three tribesmen. And then Tacfarinas strode into the circle.

And what a sight. He was covered in blood and human remains. His sword still oozed blood from his last killing. The killing rage was still within him but he was determined to keep Rufus alive.

Curtly, “You are the Senior Tribune? What is your name?”

Softly – “Rufus Julius Antonius. Please kill me.”

There was a silence – sort of, as Tacfarinas stared at Rufus.

“You’re an ugly little runt aren’t you? No – I won’t kill you. You’ll be escorted by two of my men to within sight of Ammaedara where you’ll give the governor Lucus Apronius this message.” And he thrust a piece of parchment into Rufus’ tunic.

“Go – tell your masters that Tacfarinas is alive and ready to carry the fight to Rome until the last Roman is driven from our shores. Now, get out of my sight you pathetic, ugly, little creature!”

* * * 

 

Governor Valerius Gratus in Alexandria read and re-read the parchment before him. Utter disbelief. There were rumours of a massacre in the African province but they had been dismissed as fanciful. The last time an entire Roman legion had been annihilated was when Tiberius Quintilius Varro was defeated by Germanic tribes at the battle of Teutoburg forest, in 9CE. Now this. The loss of the legion temporarily attached to the Third Augusta in Ammaedara was his loss.

No blame could be attached to disaster on Lucas Apronius. No, that worthy gentleman was making it quite clear that there had been a terrible security breach – in Alexandria. Under the command of Gratus.

And, what made it much the worse – he had to agree. Somehow, the rebel Tacfarinas had been told of the mission from a source within Alexandria. That was irrefutable. He must share the good news with Cornelius. After all, it was his decision to put that idiot Rufus Julius Antonius in command. And he was the only survivor of the massacre.

Thrusting open the door to his office he stopped a scribe who was passing and enquired,

“What is your name, lad?”

“Amenko sir.”

“Ahh Amenko. Please find the Senior Legate, Cornelius Varro and ask him to come to my office directly. Make haste lad.”

And so upon entering Apronius’ office, Cornelius had the message parchment thrust into his hands.

All Gratus said was – “Read!”

Cornelius was stunned. He too had heard the rumours of a massacre but like everyone else, gave no credence to the rumor. None at all. When he finished reading, he looked up stunned into Gratus’ face.

“Coitus! 81 It’s true then.” He managed in a choked voice. “Coitus!” “Yes – a whole legion. A whole damn legion. My legion. Given to me by Tiberius to manage. Tiberius the Emperor. And now their gone! Gone! This is the worst news I’ve ever received. And to make it worse Cornelius - my dear friend Cornelius - I’m very sure the information came from here. From within my office. My office!”

Gratus had tried to keep his voice under control but he couldn’t control himself any longer.

“Stercus Caput 82! Lupa 83! Apronius is holding me responsible. Me, Valerius Gratus. If the leak is from this office, I want you to find who it was. You’re not to attend to any other business until the culprit – no, spy – is found. And I will want you to account for your movements as part of this investigation. No one, and I repeat, No one! is to be left out of the investigation. Every one’s movements from before the legion’s departure to the date of the massacre will be scrutinized minutely.”

Drawing breath, he shouted,

“FIND HIM CORNELIUS! . . . FIND HIM AND BRING HIM

BEFORE ME IMMEDIATELY! YOU HEAR!”

“Yes . . . Err . . . Yes Governor,” Cornelius stammered. “I’ll start right now. Right Now!”

Cornelius Varro was devastated. When he arrived back at his villa, his wife sensed that something bad had happened. She knew from experience not to ask – she would only get abused. So she let Cornelius retire to his study, where he now sat, in the dark, mulling over what had just happened.

As soon as Gaius Valeria mentioned espionage, a cold shiver had gone through him. Was it possible? It’s unthinkable. There was no need to conduct extensive investigations as to the source of the leak – he knew where the leak had come from. And he was involved completely. Amenko!

 

I can still remember the night when, under very soft probing, I mentioned – almost boasted – sending a legion to Apronius to help stamp out any trace of the rebel Tacfarinas. Without thinking, I gave details, not considering for one moment that the information would be passed on. Never. Amenko was a catamite. Catamites weren’t spies. Catamites were male whores who provided pleasure to lonely soldiers. Weren’t they?

But now I face two problems. Firstly that I’ve lain with a male prostitute and secondly – more importantly – I’ve passed on vital intelligence which has led to the destruction of over four thousand men.

I can bear the shame that will attach to my wife and children on the first issue. Many men in my situation have taken male lovers so the trauma will pass eventually. But being a traitor will only earn me a very long and painful death. And my family will have the burden of two shameful acts.

 

Cornelius paused while he considered the awful predicament he was in. He idly played with the short knife used to break open official wax seals. With a sigh, he came to a decision.

Amenko must die. I’ll find some way to prove that he’s the spy and then have him killed before he implicates me under torture. I need someone I can trust. Someone who is so beholding to me that he’ll do anything to gain and retain my favor. Rufus Julius Antonius!

He’ll be back tomorrow, in disgrace, and will jump at the chance to carry out any of my instructions. I’ll ask Rufus to get me proof and then order Amenko’s execution. Quietly. Good. Yes, very good. Brilliant! All I have to do is wait ‘till Rufus comes back and then give him the assignment. I’m sure he’ll jump at the chance. It’ll all work out well. Won’t it?

Cornelius pursued his fake enquiry with a vengeance. Staff were interviewed – even scribes like Amenko – but the investigation continued without result. From time to time, the Governor demanded a progress report and Cornelius was able to mollify him by claiming that they were closing in on the traitor. But he sensed that Valeria was becoming impatient.

And then Rufus arrived back – in disgrace. A pitiful shell compared to his usual repugnant arrogance. Part of him – the lesser part – wished that he’d been killed that terrible day, but the other part was simply glad to be alive.

So when he was called to Cornelius’s office soon after, he was prepared to be thoroughly dressed down. His defense was to be that anyone in charge that day, anyone, would have suffered the same defeat as the Berbers were lying in wait. Who then was responsible for passing on information? Who?

To his amazement, Cornelius was almost conciliatory. He actually asked for Rufus’ help. By the time Cornelius had finished outlining his plan, Rufus was a very relieved man. And prepared to go to any lengths to earn Cornelius’ good favor.

Rufus was to first follow Amenko and, once he was sure of the evidence, report immediately back to Cornelius.

A catamite! Who would ever suspect a catamite? But then Cornelius must have good reason. He, Rufus was not going to challenge Cornelius. If that’s what Cornelius wants – that’s what he’ll get!

* * * 

 

Amenko knew that something was amiss when he received word from Tacfarinas’ man the silk merchant, to meet before the lunchtime break in the great library. Amenko arrived early but only had to wait a short time before the messenger arrived. With a furtive look around, he quickly got down to business.

“I’m being watched and assume you are too. I’m closing down my shop this afternoon and will flee Alexandria by morning. I suggest you make similar arrangements”

“What makes you think you’re being watched?”

“I’ve noticed one fellow who seems to have parked himself outside another fabric shop across the way. He’s been there every day for three days now. He’s trying to be inconspicuous but he stands out from the passing crowd. He’s probably the ugliest spy I’ve ever seen”

“A short little hairy man?”

“Yes, the same. You’ve seen him too?”

“Only this morning. I remember thinking if he wanted my favors I would refuse. Absolutely. He’s just incredibly ugly. No amount of money could persuade me.”

“Well, what are you going to do? The massacre was on the end of February and it’s now approaching the middle of March. We knew it would only be a matter of time before we were exposed. We must flee. Oh, and Tacfarinas sends his congratulations. Your information has given the Romans a huge setback. In fact, he intends to pursue guerrilla tactics from here on. But look to yourself young man. Remember what I told you. The Romans will impose a terrible death for you if you fall into their hands. I must go now. Peace to you.”

With that parting gesture, the merchant quickly exited the library. Amenko watched him leave and then turned towards home filled with anxiety.

 

Well, it’s come at last. This day. It couldn’t be avoided. I’ve always known that my mission would end badly. I knew yesterday that I was exposed, when Cornelius gave me a passing look, which proclaimed his fury. What is he waiting for? Proof. Yes, proof. He can’t do anything until he has the proof and then I’ll be killed before I can be tortured. He can’t let me live. It simply boils down to my life or his and that’s a no-brainer.

Cephas will be distraught. Adlai strangely is worldlier than his cousin, and will be practical. And sympathetic! He’s a good man. So, the big question is, will Cephas and Adlai be adjudged also guilty because we share a friendship?

Perhaps. Yes, almost certainly. At least they will be tortured to garner information of my contacts. But first, I must talk to them and tell them what’s happening. They must make their own decisions.

Amenko didn’t see an ugly hairy little man come from behind a pillar and start to follow him. It was to be a race against time now.

* * * 

 

After trailing Amenko home, Rufus went to Cornelius’ home, and was ushered into his study. Being late in the day, the family meal was being prepared and the smells and aromas issuing forth made his stomach rumble.

“And he met with whom?”

“A silk merchant that I’ve been watching. He does not go by any name and even if he did, I’m sure it would be a false one. I’m also sure sir that under investigation – torture– both men will break and give you the proof you want.”

“Excellent! Excellent. You say that they are both in their respective homes right now?”

“Yes. And I’m sure they suspect nothing. I’ve been very discreet.”

“Hmmm. I can’t authorize any action until after I’ve seen the Governor first thing tomorrow. Then I’ll move to arrest both spies. You’ve done well Rufus. Very well. Hold yourself to be at call tomorrow morning. You can plan the arrests. And I don’t want any fuck-up’s Ok!”

“Yes sir. You can depend on me. A favor sir?” When Cornelius nodded to continue, Rufus asked.

“Will you please put in a good word for me with the Governor?”

“Yes, I will. Now go now.” Stupid idiot!

* * * 

 

Amenko was relieved to find Adlai and Cephas at home preparing the evening meal.

“Please, I have something of vital importance to discuss. Come, let’s go up to the roof – and bring some wine.”

Mystified, Adlai and Cephas followed Amenko up to the roof and eagerly awaited to hear what he had to say. Adlai noticed that Amenko was so distressed to being on the verge of panic. What could be so dire that would affect Amenko so? Taking a deep swallow of wine Amenko started,

“For some time now I have been deceitful and, for reasons which will become obvious, have not been able to take you into my confidence. Now the situation has reached a point where I must consider not only my own peril but yours too. Events have escalated beyond my control and I feel it only . . .”

Cephas interrupted with,

“Cut the crap, Amenko. You’re giving me the shits. Just tell it. Don’t ramble on like an old woman. Tell us now!”

And so he told his two friends everything. Slowly at first then becoming more agitated as his story came to its conclusion. When he’d finished he was almost weeping. But there was also relief to be able to tell his friends of his predicament. Their predicament.

All through Amenko’s discourse Adlai and Cephas listened, at first with disbelief, but then with mounting horror at the implications before them.

When Amenko finished with the worrying news that he thought their house was being watched both men became distressed. There was complete silence when Amenko completed his story. Cephas took a long drink – his third – of wine and putting his cup down, just stared at Amenko. Several emotions passed through him. Concern for his friend, then anger and then fear.

The silence grew until Adlai,

“You think that the Governor will come to arrest all of us?”

“If not the Governor, then certainly Cornelius. If I’m taken, my life is forfeit. A cruel and perhaps not so speedy death awaits me. Cornelius cannot allow that I’ll denounce him as the leak. He’ll kill me first and then present the proof to Gaius Valerius.”

Cephas then exploded.

“How can you just sit there and calmly announce that you’ve been spying on the Romans and in so doing have put us all on the Governor’s shit list. Why did you do it? Why? You’ve never expressed any interest in politics. People like you . . .”

‘You mean because I’m a catamite and catamites are such low pieces of shit that we can’t have beliefs. Causes. Sometimes, Cephas you can be an arrogant prick!”

There was silence as Amenko and Cephas stared balefully at each other. Then Adlai said softly,

“Why Amenko? Cephas asked the right question but not with his usual tact. Why would you spy for a man such as Tacfarinas?”

Amenko hesitated a little before answering, “He’s my Uncle.” Adlai and Cephas just stared at him. Unbelieving. Cephas broke the silence.

“He’s your father’s brother or on your mother’s side?”

“No, my father.”

“But you told me your father was a Bedu – at least that’s what my father thinks.”

“Bedu or Berber, it's all much the same. Not that it matters. Your father won’t be drawn into the conflict.”

“How can you say that? What if I’m captured and tortured. My father certainly will be drawn into your sordid little family actions.”

“Alright. Alright.” Adlai said. “Let’s not argue because we won’t get anywhere and we have some important decisions to make. Let’s be practical and stop accusing each other. Ok?” And when the other two fell into silence, he thought aloud,

“We can’t take any chances. I only wish you had confided to us before this Amenko. We simply don’t have enough time for any elaborate plans. We must leave . . .”

Adlai paused and three pairs of eyes stared at the access ladder where they heard the sound of someone climbing up to the roof. A moment of dread swamped them. Their fear was palpable. And then a head and body heaved itself onto the roof. For a moment everyone stared until,

“Don’t you recognize me little brother. It’s Tavi.”

Adlai could not believe his eyes. Tavi. Tavi – here! Cephas also shared a moment of disbelief with Adlai. And then Tavi marched over to a near speechless Adlai and gave him a long brotherly hug.

“Look at you - look how you’ve grown. Man, can I not see our dear mother in your features. How grand you look, matured but with eyes that reflect a little sadness”. And turning towards Cephas he continued,

“Well cousin, well met. You’ve changed somewhat, eh! I see a little evidence of soft living around your waist. Umm – too much bread and wine perhaps?”

Even though he was still in shock, Adlai eventually managed,

“Brother - Tavi – where did you come from? How did you know where to find me? What brings you here? Ohh, forget all that. It’s so good to see you. After all this time. I’m overjoyed. I’m so . . . .” Adlai couldn’t say anymore as he became choked with emotion.

With a gentle squeeze, Tavi disengaged from Adlai and turned towards Amenko saying briskly, “And this is Amenko who is presently the source of all our troubles. Hmm?”

“Wha . . . what do you know of our troubles? Cephas almost demanded. “How can you know of the peril this stupid boy has placed us in? We’ve only just found out ourselves. Just now. In fact as you were climbing up to us. How come?”

“Because, dear cousin I’ve been monitoring your home for several days now. And we have contacts within the Governor’s office. I have a good idea of the peril, as you say, that you’re all in.” Adlai eventually conquering his emotions said,

“Who’s we?” “Zealots.”

At this, they all became quiet. Perhaps it was good news in that they now they had friends to help. They waited for Tavi to continue,

“You’ve been followed by a very ugly little Roman for at least three days now.” And turning to Amenko said, “And they know about your messenger the silk merchant. They know everything. I believe Cornelius – yes Amenko, we know enough – Cornelius is only waiting to get the Governor's’ approval before moving in. Our judgment is that they will take action early tomorrow morning. That’s why we must take action this night.”

And with a tone full of menace and hatred he said,

“This Roman, this ugly little Roman, this Rufus Julius Antonius, is the same man Adlai who butchered our little sister Magdalena. Raped and then killed her. Raped and murdered her.”

Adlai stared at Tavi and saw a man full- bent on revenge. The need for retribution was evident in the tone of his voice. The years of fighting and being wanted as an outlaw had hardened Tavi and stole his innocence. Adlai shuddered at what was going to befall Rufus, probably this very night.

Tavi stood with his hands on hips and addressed the group.

“Leave everything you have and follow me to a safe house that we use for such emergencies. Take anything you consider might be incriminating – we don’t want to give the Romans any ammunition.” And then added as an afterthought, “We know what we’re doing.”

To Amenko he turned with iron in his tone,

“You’re most at risk, Amenko. They want your blood. They want you dead in the worst possible way. The information you were able to supply Tacfarinas has caused the Romans a major loss of face. Questions are being raised in the Senate as to how this massacre could occur. The price of grain has also gone up so the Senate has to deal with civil unrest. If caught – well, it won’t be pleasant for you. My task is to make sure you’re not caught.”

Meekly Amenko replied,

“Thank you. I’ll do whatever you want.”

“What I want is to get you all to the safe house – NOW!”

* * * 

 

The secure house turned out to be close to Ibrahim’s villa. Being less populated, the area could be vigilantly guarded. It was well past the midnight hour when they all settled down to find whatever rest they could after the trauma of the past few hours. Adlai was eager to talk with his brother and catch up on the missing years. But before he could take Tavi aside, a messenger came and whispered something to Tavi. He nodded his thanks and turned to Adlai,

“Little brother, I must go out for a few hours. Be assured you are safe here. My men will guard you with their lives. You don’t realize it but the blow you’ve struck against Rome has made you heroes. In your case – and Cephas - not directly of course, but indirectly.”

And then he was gone.

Adlai was too restless to sleep. Perhaps it was the strange surroundings or, more probably an excess of adrenalin in his system.

 

Somehow, I must get a message to Ibrahim. Whilst I've learned a lot, I know I need more time as I’m just beginning to understand the subtleties of religious and moral teachings. I must find a way to perhaps stay with Ibrahim until such time he considers me adequately knowledgeable.

But then there’s Amenko! Were he to be captured – and tortured – like as not, in his agony he’ll implicate Cephas and me. And even if I escape Alexandria, and go back home, I would still be under the jurisdiction of Rome as would Cephas. No, Amenko is the key. If he survives – we’ll all survive. If he gets captured . . .

Tavi! How good it was to see him again. Alas, I wish it were under better circumstances. In a way, I feel sorry for him. The years have not been happy for big brother. He’s cold – his soul is cold and hard. He hasn’t known the wonderful essence that is woman. Oh Somi, I wish you were with me now. Just being with you would make these harsh times livable. Poor Tavi – I wonder if you’ve ever experienced real love. I can’t wait to tell you about you Somi.

Alas . . . tomorrow is going to be a traumatic day.

* * *  

Rufus was a happy man. Well, a very drunk happy man. Perhaps a very happy man because he was both drunk and satiated. He stopped fondling the young girl sitting on his lap and reached over for another swig of beer. Besides his physical contentment, was the knowledge that tomorrow he was going to be rewarded by the Senior Legate for his work in tracking down the spy.

He had his own personal reasons to punish this traitor. Had not the information given the rebel Tacfarinas enabled him to ambush and annihilate his command? He could still remember riding alone into Ammaedara and having to report the loss of a whole Roman legion. A whole legion! The Governor Lucas Apronius had stared at him in utter disbelief.

He was lucky his life had been spared. And now – soon – the traitor would die horribly for his actions.

He needed to piss. This gypo beer went straight to his bladder so he roughly shoved the little girl away and made his exit. He was so drunk he didn’t notice the angry stares of other drinkers nor the group sitting quietly at a nearby table. Outside Rufus began to relieve himself,

Ahhhh . . . by Jupiter’s’ prick, I needed this. Ahhhh . . . what a relief. I was nearly busting for a piss. Mmmmmmm. . . the little gypo girl was sweet and juicy. I’m going to enjoy giving her the benefit of my spear this night. By now Cornelius . . .

“Rufus Julius Antonius?”

Turning at the direction of the voice, Rufus was just enjoying the last droplets of his piss.

“Yezzz,” He slurred. “Who wants to know?”

Before he could re- dress himself, he was roughly restrained by two pairs of arms, one on each side, so that he was trapped and couldn’t use his arms.

“I do! My name is Tavi ben Yusuf and this is in revenge for the rape and murder of my little sister Magdella, back in Nazareth.”

With that, Tavi brandished a wickedly curved dagger in front of Rufus. Rufus became terrified and managed to gurgle,

“Please . . . Pl . . .ease don’t kill me! Please (sob) don’t. I don’t know . . . (sob) any girl by that . . . that name! Heeellllpppp"!

“No one can hear you, animal. Filth. Coward. I’ll give you the same mercy that you gave my sister. No – I’m not going to kill you.”

Something - some horror registered in Rufus’ brain and he began to scream,

“Nooo! Nooo! Heeellllpppp!” And he struggled desperately to get free. Away from this horror.

But to no avail. With one delicate sweep of the dagger, Tavi severed Rufus’ genitals and then shoved the loathsome things into Rufus’ mouth. He began to bleed badly. He began to moan. The depth of his anguish was heard inside and those patrons still able to walk came rushing outside. And then,

“You know Scum, we Jews practice circumcision. And with that, Tavi sliced off the head of Rufus’ penis and again shoved that disgusting item into his mouth.

The job done, revenge attained, Tavi and his two helpers vanished into the night but not before shouting,

“Death to all Romans!”

And left Rufus moaning, crying, and lying in a pathetic heap in front of the alehouse. All the patrons could do was stem the flow of blood and after that, they left Rufus moaning in pain and despair.

For the rest of his life he became a beggar on the streets of Alexandria, eventually dying because of the maiming. No one mourned his passing. No one.

* * * 

 

By dawn’s first blush, Cornelius had assembled his troops at either end of the street that supposedly housed the spy Amenko. Briefly, he wondered why that wretch Rufus was not on hand for the arrest but as swift, as the thought crossed his mind it vanished. Rufus had the proof and that was all Cornelius needed. With Amenko in his hands, he’d let the torturers do their work.

At his command then, the legionaries stormed the house – only to find it empty. Very empty. There were signs of the occupants leaving in a hurry. But no indication of where they had fled. Cornelius was furious. Thwarted. He’d convinced the Governor that he would make an arrest this morn and now had to face that worthy soul with his utter failure. He’d been outwitted.

All the occupants on either side of the street were interrogated for several hours but no one knew anything. Several had noticed an ugly little man hanging around but, beside that, it was a blank. But they were able to give descriptions of the other occupants.

Then came the news of the attack on Rufus, but at that instant Cornelius was too angry to give a moment’s thought to the wretch. He probably deserved his fate, anyway.

To his senior Centurion he snapped,

“Turn the city inside out. I want any or all of the occupants of that house. Post descriptions everywhere. Ale houses, temples, whorehouses and barracks. Find them!”

 * * * 

There was an uncomfortable silence. The two men stared at each other – one sitting the other standing. The governor leaned forward and pointed his finger at Cornelius growling,

“You’re telling me that you’ve failed. That whoever is responsible for the leak has slipped through your fingers. That I have to tell the Senate the person responsible for the slaughter of an entire legion has escaped. Instead of me, how about YOU tell the Emperor that one of his legions has been massacred and we can’t find the culprit. Or culprits!"

“Governor I . . .”

“Silence! You miserable excuse for a man! Silence!” “And what about how the leak originated? I gather your feeble investigations have turned up nothing. Nothing! So it could’ve been anyone – Yes? Anyone. Even You! Well I’m taking charge now. My men will investigate and will report their findings direct to me. ME! You’re dismissed. Go. Get out of my sight!”

A wave of fear and panic gripped Cornelius as he stumbled out of the Governor's’ office.

* * * 

 

It was well past daybreak and the three friends – now wanted men – sat in silence around a rough table. They ate little – no one had an appetite.

And it was early in the forenoon when Tavi came back to the house. Three pairs of expectant eyes hungrily waited for news.

“Well, as expected, the Romans are scouring the city looking for you – any one of you. You must not go out this day, or for that matter, several days. Here, you are safe. My men are keeping continual watch and will alert you in good time if you need to move on. We have other safe houses in Alexandria.”

Whilst Amenko and Adlai digested this Cephas spoke, with some agitation,

“But we can’t stay here forever. I’ve got unfinished work that is waiting for completion. I need the money.” He finished lamely.

Then Amenko said, mainly to Cephas,

“Our existence here in Alexandria is over Cephas. It’s my fault that you’ve been dragged into my perils. I’m so sorry. Please, forgive me. But there’s no going back. We’re marked men and if caught – any one of us – we’ll be savagely and brutally tortured. Sorry!”

It was Adlai, who then spoke up,

“Amenko’s right. We have to accept that we must leave. Much as I like Alexandria, we can’t throw our lives away uselessly. I’ve no wish to be tortured” And turning to Tavi,

“Brother. How long must we stay in hiding? How long before we can leave? And how will we accomplish our departure?”

“Well, as first priority we must get Amenko away and safe. What are your thoughts, Amenko? You must have made some contingency plans. At least you should have. Let’s deal with you first.”

“Umm. Not a plan as such but I feel I should go to my father in Berenike. He knows that I’m helping Tacfarinas . . .”

Cephas went to interrupt but Tavi silenced him with,

“Your turn next Cephas. Let Amenko continue.”

“. . . and will understand my predicament. And I think Berenike is far enough away to be out of the Roman’s reach. What . . .” to Tavi, “. . . do you think?”

“Don’t be too sure” mumbled Tavi. “It’s a risk. A big risk. But I agree. It’ll give you time to straighten your life out. I can have two of my men accompany you. We need more information on that part of the world anyway. Cephas?”

“I’ll go with Amenko. I can discuss my abba’s affairs with Fakhir and sort something out. But I’m not going to rot away in Berenike as a trader.” This was said with a glare at Amenko.”

“Ok – that’s something settled. We’ll disguise you both as Bedu. Amenko, do you think you can disguise yourself as Cephas’ wife?”

This brought some relieving laughter.

Before Tavi could address him Adlai said, “Brother, to discuss my plans I wonder if you and I can have a private talk? Apart from escaping Alexandria, we also have a lot of catching up as regards our family.” When Cephas went to object Adlai simply said,

“Sorry Cephas, I don’t mean to be secretive but I’ll talk with you both after Tavi and I have had time to ourselves.”

“That’s fair enough Cephas,” said Amenko. “They haven’t seen each other for nearly ten years. Of course they need time alone” And then to Adlai, “Take as much time as you want. I never had a brother – I envy you both.”

* * *

 

“What are you smiling for?”

The two brothers were sitting on stools in the courtyard of the safe house. It was now early in the afternoon and they had sought the shade of a tree, escaping the full blast of heat from the sun.

“You. Me. At us. It’s been so long, and we’ve both changed and yet – nothing’s changed. You’re still my big brother and you can be ferocious with others but I still know you as the brother I’ve always, and always will, adore.”

With a gentle nod of his head Tavi acknowledged Adlai’s kind words and replied,

“And little brother you’ve grown up. Abba will be proud of you. So will Emma. I know you disagree with what I do but we each fight our battles in different ways. We both fight for our country. But I can’t . . .” Adlai interrupted with,

“Stop right there. I don’t and cannot sit in judgment of you and what you do. I simply don’t have the right. As your brother, I know the coldness you project to others has a purpose. Only you can decide what’s right or wrong.”

“Well, thanks for that.” And then with a comradely sigh Tavi continued. “You were spared the horror of Magdella’s death. I’ve always carried the burden that it was because of me she was murdered. It’s been a lonely burden. Awful. And made worse by knowing that Abba and Emma had to watch the whole thing. Our Emma was devastated and, I’m sure, never recovered. Who would?”

“Yes – who would? And I’ve always felt guilty that I escaped and could never help our parents recover from that horror. Sometimes I feel that justice never . . .”

“Adlai. Know that this day justice has prevailed. The slate is clean. Let’s move on. Now what have you been doing?”

So Adlai sat, facing his brother, and told him all that had happened during the time he was away. After he finished Tavi said,

“And this ravishing creature, this Somya, really fell in love with you? Really? Would you have married her, given the differing cultures of you both? To me it sounds like our Uncle did the right thing.”

“Being in love doesn’t mean everything’s logical. You fall in love and then work out the problems. Being in love with another person is an experience that should befall all of us.”

“Yes, I’m beginning to understand. I’ve also fallen in love. Hopelessly. She is the daughter of one of our prominent citizens. I really love her, little brother. Every time I look at her, I feel weak. The killing frenzy flees and I’m left totally defenseless. It’s a good feeling - and a bad feeling.”

Then Tavi told his Adlai about his love – with an enthusiasm that Adlai had seldom seen in his brother.

All Adlai could do was be impressed at the way events had progressed since his enforced exile. Then getting down to current matters Tavi said,

“But what about now. You are marked being associated with Amenko. I’ve got to get you away – somewhere, somehow?”

“I must see my teacher one last time.” Then Adlai explained what he was doing with Ibrahim and how important it was to him – to Adlai.

“Alright,” Tavi acknowledged. “I’ll have two of my men guard you – there and back. Best you leave soonest.”

* * *

 

It was cool and with the sun descending behind the hills, Ibrahim and Adlai sat inside beside a fire that projected a little warmth. Adlai had quickly summed up the situation but stressing that his involvement was only because he lived in the same house as Amenko.

Ibrahim leaned back and surveyed Adlai with a look of concern. “Yes, I’ve heard the rumours. In fact, the whole city is alive with rumours. The Romans are determined to bring anyone - and I mean anyone - to account. You are right to flee Alexandria.”

“I don’t want to. I want to stay. I’ve treasured the time spent with you. When I came to you, I was thirsting for knowledge and my mind was cloudy. I know I’ve yet a lot to learn . . .”

“We never stop learning. There’s too much knowledge awaiting us but so short a time to absorb it.”

“Yes. Yes, I understand.” Ibrahim looked at Adlai who was sitting in the lotus position with open palms on his knees.”

“But let me continue. Adlai looked up at Ibrahim with a slight frown and,

“But what you have done is show me where my vocation leads. Before, I had no direction. Now – I have. And I give my profound thanks to you. I don’t know how to really express my appreciation.”

“Say no more. You’re the best student I’ve ever had. There is greatness in you, Adlai. Embrace your fate fearlessly.”

“But how and where can I continue my studies. I don’t want to stop learning.”

“And you won’t. Do you know of the Essenes who are part of the religious culture of your homeland?”

“Yes, of course. I know of them by name but I’m not familiar with their teachings. Why do you ask?”

“Hmmm. I know Brother Zechariah well. We are good friends and correspond regularly. At their settlement in Qumran near the bitter sea, they have a secluded learning centre that will be ideal for you. If you agree, I’ll write to Zechariah and tell him of your coming. Would that be acceptable?”

“Oh yes, yes. Thank you. That’s excellent. Excellent” They said their goodbyes with an emotion usually held in reserve for father and son. Both disengaged with damp cheeks.

 

 

APPENDIX NOTES

79: Modern day Haydrah in Tunisia

80: About 4800 men

81: Fuck!

82: Shithead!

83: Whore

CAST OF CHARACTERS

...in Aegypt

 

Fakir >>> Father of Amenko and Idra’s agent in Berenike

Tacfarinas >>> Leader of the rebellion against Rome in Aegypt and North Africa

Aeneas Cornelius Varro >>> Second in command TO Governor Valerius Gratis

Ibrahim al Hadi >>> an Aegyptian holy man referred to as ‘Master’

Lucus Apronius >>> Governor of North Africa

Amenko >>> Son of Idra’s Aegyptian manager in Berenike

Gaius Valerius >>> Governor of Aegypt

Rufus Julius Antonius >>> Roman centurion

Ruth bat Idra>>> Youngest daughter of Abir and sister to Maria Simon ben Judah>>> Son of Judah the Galilean who had been killed

Thanx for reading. Please let me have your comments
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..