Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 6,971 Words
  • 716 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 12. Chapter 12

A lot of political maneuvering.

Interlude 23CE - 28CE

 

In 23 CE Emperor Tiberius' son Julius Caesar Drusus dies. From that point forward, Tiberius seems to lose interest in the Empire and occupies himself with the pursuit of pleasure.

At the same time, Lucius Aelius Sejanus begins to dominate the Roman Senate and the Emperor. He expanded the Praetorian Guard 84 beyond being a bodyguard to an independent arm of government thus making him powerful - and feared.

In 24CE, the Roman war against Numidia and Mauretania 85 ends with their annexation. In the same year, Tacfarinas is defeated and killed.In 26CE, Pontius Pilate is appointed as prefect - or governor - of Judea. Also in 26CE, Emperor Tiberius retires to Capri, leaving the Praetorian Guard under Lucius Aelius Sejanus in charge of city of Rome, and the Roman

Empire.

The major issue in Jerusalem was the introduction of army legion standards bearing the image of the Roman Emperor. Under the eagle emblem was often placed the head of the reigning emperor, which was to the army, the object of adoration. The Jews considered them as graven images that trampled on their laws.

Joseph Caiaphas, commonly known simply as Caiaphas in the New Testament, was the Roman-appointed (18CE) Jewish high priest and would continue until 31CE.

IN 28CE, the Sanhedrin relinquished its power to try capital cases and such power was transferred to Rome and the Roman Governor.

 * * *

 

As Lucius Sejanus mounted the familiar stairs to Tiberius’ Villa on the Isle of Capri, he again marveled at the site chosen by the Emperor for his retreat. The view out over the Bay of Naples was magnificent. At the end of the avenue, which leads to the villa, is the place where, on the Emperor’s orders, disobedient servants and undesired guests were hurled over the cliff to their death.

The Villa Jovis was organized in sections linked by corridors, stairs, and passageways. The Emperor had a North-facing apartment with views over the Bay. To the East there was the section dedicated to official functions. The baths were to the South and to the West were located the servant’s accommodation and lavatories. Made necessary by the location, Tiberius's Villa extended over 5,500 square meters and was built up on various levels.

Sejanus, being familiar with the layout of the Villa, passed through the official staterooms onto the northern most part of the villa and Tiberius’ personal apartments. There he found Tiberius, already in his cups, watching a troop of nude girls and boys performing an erotic dance.

Where does he get these children? They are so young and already have the charms and movements of experienced whores. Still, while he is so diverted he doesn’t interfere with my running Rome – and the Empire.

The emperor was draped across an elaborate chair with his tunic open showing the ugly chest of an old man. He was now in his sixties. Plus.

“Ahh Lucius! Come, come. What do you think of my beauties, eh? They’ve pleaded with me to join them and give ‘em the benefit of my skills as an entertainer. What do you think?”

“I think not, sire. You’ll only make them feel inadequate. Your prowess as a dancer is acknowledged throughout the Empire. But if you could ask them to practice a little more outside while I have a few matters of state to bring to your attention.”

“Hmmm,” was all Tiberius managed. He was an expert in recognizing flattery. But Sejanus had been by his side for many years and was trusted to run the Empires affairs, allowing Tiberius to indulge in pleasure.

With a sigh, and a clap of his hand to dismiss the dancers, he said, “Well, what do you have for me?”

“There is trouble in the Province of Judea . . .”

“Oh, not Judea again! Why is there always trouble in that land? These troublesome Jews. What more do they want from me now? What?”

‘Well, it seems they object to your image being placed on our Standards – our Eagles. It appears that it is in contravention of their religion to place ‘graven images’ on any public institution and then have that the image worshipped.”

“By Jupiter’s cock! They cannot and will not tell me what I can or cannot do with my own legion standards! No. No. No! Who usually deals with these matters? I can’t believe it. Who do we have in Judea to control these pesky people? Who?”

“Our Prefect is Pontius Pilate and he usually liaises with Caiaphas the chief priest.”

“Well,” Tiberius thundered. “Why can’t those two worthies solve the problem? Cut off a few heads. That usually quietens things down. Is this man Pilate up to the job? Why does he need me to deal with the matter? Anyway, who is this man Pilate? Did I appoint him or did the Senate?”

Sejanus knew he had to be very careful as to how he responded to the Emperor’s question.

“Umm . . . He is of Equestrian rank from the Pontii clan. He impressed me so much that, in your name, I appointed him Prefect of Judea following the deposing of Herod Archelaus. So far he has proved to be an able administrator.”

“Well, on your recommendation, and on your head, so be it. Now, getting back to the problem at hand, if it’s my authority they need to act, tell them they have it!”

“Thank you sire. I only brought it to your attention to keep you informed. In fact I’ve already drawn up a missive to send to Pilate to act, and act swiftly, in your name”

“Hmmm, wait” Tiberius became thoughtful and with his brow slightly furrowed, he stared at Sejanus. “Surely it’s time to look again at how that whole country is governed. Seems to me we have a patchwork of compromises giving the local people what they want, which is not necessarily in our own best interests. Remind me again. Where do we stand?”

“Err, yes Sire. I mean no. When Herod Magnus died, he’d ruled over two basic ancient kingdoms. The northern being Israel and the southern called Judea. On his death we gave the northern kingdom, Israel to his son Herod Antipas, and the southern, Judea, to his other son Herod Archelaus Then, at the request of his subjects, this Archelaus was disposed because of misrule and we appointed a governor in his place. The present governor is Pontius Pilate.

“Ahh yes, of course. And my good friend Herod err. . .” “Antipas, Sire.” “Yes, yes, Herod Antipas - he built a whole new city besides some inland sea, in my name?”

“Yes, that’s correct. Beside the Sea of Galilee. His kingdom, Israel is well managed and he governs properly – in our name, of course. It’s the other kingdom, Judea that has always been a problem. Even as a Roman protectorate it has been troublesome.”

There was a silence as Tiberius gathered his thoughts.

 

Best not to treat him as an old lecher – sometimes he surprises so it’s best I say nothing.

 

“And where do the religious busybodies stand in all this complexity? Who do they represent?”

Sejanus had to think for a minute. To be sure, he didn’t really understand all the complexities of these Jews and particularly their religion.

“I have to confess Sire; I don’t have a detailed understanding of their religious people except to say that there is no separation between religion and state. Their religion governs their daily lives – from dawn to dusk. All Jews must pay a tax – called a Temple Tax – for the upkeep of the main temple in Jerusalem and the priests living style. And I’m very well informed that the priests – Rabbis – live in luxury.”

“Well, you know a lot more than I.” After a moment’s pause, Tiberius reflected, “Who then is the leader of these Jews?”

“Now there I can give you more information Sire. Joseph Caiaphas is the high priest of the Temple in Jerusalem. As high priest and chief religious authority in the land, Caiaphas has many important responsibilities, including controlling the Temple treasury, managing the Temple police and, performing religious rituals. He often serves as president of the Sanhedrin, the highest Jewish council and court.”

Sejanus hesitated as Tiberius leaned forward in obvious interest in what he was saying. After a moment’s pause he continued,

“The high priest serves as a sort of liaison between our authority and the Jewish population. High priests, drawn from the Sadducean aristocracy, receive their appointment from Rome. We look to high priests to keep the Jewish populace in line.” He now looked expectantly at Tiberius.

“Thank you Sejanus. Thank you. Once again, you have demonstrated my good judgment in having you look after the running of our Empire.”

There was a pause before Tiberius continued,

“It would seem then that a source of future conflict could be between the people and the – Rabbis – over this Temple Tax. Am I right?”

“Yes Sire. That could be a future problem. You’re right.”

“Well then, have this Pilate give me a full report on the problem with his recommendations as to how Rome’s best interests can be advanced. Now stay Lucius and watch the young girl at the back dance alone just for us. She’s delightful.”

* * * 

 

Caesarea was enjoying a beautiful sunny day with light winds and high clouds. But the atmosphere inside the Governors’ mansion was anything but pleasant. Pontius Pilate was furious. He leaned forward and glared at his guest.

“How dare you! How dare you. You parsimonious old . . .” He stopped himself before he insulted Caiaphas any further.

“Here let me read from the missive . . .” Picking up the official document bearing the Emperors seal he read,

“. . . and the Emperor commands that any attempt to remove His image from His legion’s standards will be regarded as a revolt against His authority and punishable by death."

“By death Caiaphas, by death! So don’t come in here and demand – yes demand – that the Emperor must yield to the whim of your stupid religion and your stupid God!”

“Blasphemy! Blasphemy! May God in his heaven strike you down for reviling Him. You . . . you jumped up little upstart. You poor excuse for a Governor. You insensitive little creature. You . . .”

“Silence! Silence, you overstuffed pompous, poor excuse for a religious leader. Silence. I’ve listened to you, and given in to you, for far too long. Let’s get this straight. I rule in the Emperor’s name – over all Judea. You look after the internal politicking of your troublesome people. It’s not the Emperor’s image that is stoking the fires of rebellion. It’s you and your parasitical followers that are causing the anger of the people by your lavish – should I say sinful – lifestyle and the burdensome taxes you extort from rich and poor alike!”

Caiaphas’ eyes blazed with fury but he shut up. Only because what Pilate was saying was indeed true. If the Temple priests hadn’t raised the anger and ire of the Jewish people, the issue of ‘graven images’ may not have arisen.

Caiaphas stared hard at Pilate seeing in him the eternal bureaucrat. A short little man – the scion of the Pontii clan - with a heavy, overindulged and knarled face. On the other hand, Pilate faced a heavily bearded, pompous, overweight, and arrogant priest.

In fact, the only trait both these men shared was their arrogance. And yet, they were forced to get along for mutual benefit. They just continued to glare balefully at each other until a servant entered with a tray of watered wine and honey cakes. The tension eased.

With a sigh, Pilate supposed, “We will have to tell the populace something now, won’t we, to try and ease the ill feeling?”

“Yes,” replied Caiaphas quietly. “Something, anything to mitigate the hostility.”

There was a silence as each considered what could be done. Not what ought to be done. After taking a sip of wine Pilate said softly,

“You know Joseph, remove the Emperor, the Roman Senate, the Sanhedrin, the Temple priests and the Sadducees and what you have left is just you and I exercising the power in this troubled land. Just you and I.”

Caiaphas, becoming curious as to where this was leading remained silent. Pilate continued – watching Caiaphas intently,

“And I for one don’t want trouble. I don’t want an unruly province against my name and reputation. I’ll sup with anyone who will deliver peace and normalcy. Anyone.”

 

Curious, I wonder what’s in his mind. It would be foolish to write Pilate off as a boring bureaucrat. His slovenly looks hide a sharp mind.

 

Out aloud he said, “What is on your mind Pilate? Don’t be so evasive.” There was a moment’s pause while Pilate keenly observed Caiaphas.

Then,

“Do you know of an alliance formed between the Pharisees, Zealots and the Essenes? No? Well here is what I’ve heard. They first intend to wrest control of Judea from you Sadducees and the Sanhedrin. Having done this they will then proceed to demand more freedom from Rome.”

It was a bombshell. Caiaphas was just about to take a bite out of a honey cake and he stopped, comically, in mid- bite.

“Preposterous! Ridiculous! Where do you get such absurd notions? Where?”

“We have our sources – our spies – which are obviously better than yours. Have you not heard anything? Rumours, gossip, idle talk?”

Now Caiaphas was concerned. He leaned forward and fixed Pilate with a stare. Gone was any interest in honey cakes.

“How reliable is this . . . this – are these – rumours?”

“Very. Very reliable.” And then leaning forward towards Caiaphas he pointed his finger at the Rabbi and admonished him in a hard voice,

“Go get your house in order Priest. You and your fellow priests are part of the problem - not part of the solution. My duty is to keep the peace. And to do so I’ll deal with anyone – anyone – who can guarantee that peace. Do I make myself clear?”

Leaving Caiaphas with nothing to say except to return to Jerusalem as quickly as possible, try and get confirmation of the information just given him.

And there was only one person who he wanted to talk to seek council – his father -in-law Annas. The previous high priest was now regarded as the Patriarch of the Sanhedrin Council.

* * * 

 

“. . . Abir ben Micah! I knew it. It’s as I suspected. He’s been acting very confidently and his tone has been almost derogatory. If you’ve noticed, he’s been challenging my authority in the Sanhedrin of late. Think on it.”

 

Caiaphas looked at his father-in-law Annas as he almost jumped out of his chair and strode angrily around the small room he used for official purposes.

“Well, you may be right. But I have to say that I’ve not noticed anything unusual at council meetings. But there again, I do find proceedings boring and tedious. Anyway, what can he do? We Sadducees control the Temple police, all legal matters, and the dispersal of the Temple tax. He can berate, censure, criticize, and rebuke all he wants. But we have the numbers to control council decisions.”

 

“Don’t be a fool Caiaphas! You’re not thinking. Whilst we do control council decisions and have the ear of the Roman Governor, we don’t control the people. We aristocrats have always assumed the populace will yield to our control. An alliance between the Pharisees and Zealots is extremely dangerous – to us. To our whole way of life. To our very existence.”

Caiaphas observed his father-in-law and saw an old man of very stern countenance who looked every inch the Patriarch he was.

 

Why is it when I’m in his presence I feel like a little child? He intimidates all of us in the council - especially me. He’s a violent man who has no hesitation in executing people who don’t agree with him. No wonder Governor Valerius Gratus deposed him. He’s a tyrant. If anyone could be responsible for a revolution of the people it would be this pumped up, aging old aristocrat who unfortunately is my father- in-law.

 

“Well, do you recommend a course of action?” Lame! But I’ll let him think I’m deferring to him.

Annas stopped and looked down at his son-in-law contemptuously. “What do I think? There you go ‘what do I think’ Why do I have to make all your decisions for you? Why? Aren’t you the Chief Priest now? Can’t you make up your own mind? Now I have to do your thinking for you! What my daughter saw in you I don’t know. I always thought you to be a lazy, over-indulged bureaucrat with poor breeding.”

This was too much for Caiaphas.

“Your daughter. Don’t you talk about ‘your’ daughter. All she does is laze around all day stuffing herself with honey-cakes. She’s fat! She’s gross! She revolts me! That’s ‘your’ daughter!”

Caiaphas watched, as Annas seemed to expand with rage. His face became red and white at the same time. Caiaphas thought he might have a stroke. Hopefully.

After a while, Annas calmed down and, still glaring at Caiaphas managed,

“Arguing like this will get us nowhere. You and I shouldn’t be enemies. Abir ben Micah and the Zealots are our enemies. We have to neutralize them and head off any rebellion they might start amongst the people. Remember, we have one big advantage. We can recommend execution of anyone we deem to be a threat to Rome. Agreed?” With a sigh, Caiaphas relented,

“Yes. Agreed. But we must be careful. Remember you were deposed by Gratus for ordering executions too readily. Let’s be careful.”

“Alright, we’ll tread softly. But Caiaphas, I think you lack the ability to use killing as a political tool. At some stage, it may become necessary. Ok?”

“Yes Ok. How about we drop a bombshell at tomorrow’s council meeting, saying that we have evidence of a plot against the security of the Jewish people. That should spook Abir and any other malcontent who is secretly siding with Abir.”

Annas looked coldly at Caiaphas and said in a stony voice.

“That is exactly what we shouldn’t do. Why send a signal to Abir and his gang. Let’s wait and get more information from our spies, who, I might add, have not endeared themselves to me. They’ve let us down – badly. Make sure they understand we’re requiring better service than what they’ve delivered so far.”

As Caiaphas turned to leave – or was it having been dismissed – he faced Annas again and,

“What about the Essenes? Pilate also mentioned that they were involved. Do you think we should interrogate their leader?”

“No! Leave Brother Zechariah to me.”

* * * 

 

Adlai sat comfortably on a rock overlooking the desert and the salty sea. It was warm here and the profound silence was a luxury he’d come to enjoy during the afternoon hours when the Essene brotherhood took their leisure. Occasionally, came the ‘sqwark’ of an eagle and then soft rustlings told of the small creatures that inhabited this inhospitable land. A strange conundrum – while the sea and land were barren, creatures still managed to survive.

 

Adlai had at last found a degree of peace. Memories of that momentous time in Alexandria were still fresh in his mind as well as a little sadness in being parted from Cephas and Amenko – and Ibrahim. Especially Ibrahim. It had all happened in a daze of activity. Tavi found him passage in a ship going to Gaza and from there Adlai had made his way to Qumran – and Brother Zechariah. His thoughts turned to the time spent at Qumran.

 

I’m curious as to why Brother Zechariah lets me continue with my own studies, in fact to continue with the teachings of Ibrahim. I can sense a certain amount of resentment from my fellow young novitiates at the special treatment I receive. Behind my back I‘ve heard them call me ‘Teacher’. When Brother Zechariah first questioned me, he was obviously impressed with the accompanying letter from Ibrahim. (How I longed to open the missive on my journey to Qumran and learn its contents. But that would indeed be churlish)

I did not believe at first that life here could be so peaceful. Nothing interrupts the rhythm of the existence here at Qumran. Nothing. And we’re free to study anything that interests us. In a way, it’s a continuance of the lectures that Ibrahim used to make in Alexandria. Except that now we live-in. Tolerance rules here.

The teachings of Buddha are quite different from our own Jewish beliefs. Buddhism does not recognize a god who is omnipotent and overrides the universe, but talks of god being within each person. And then there’s resurrection. We Jews cannot agree on whether resurrection occurs but Buddhists believe that each person’s soul is reincarnated into another form. That’s a pleasant prospect. Imagine Tavi as a lady butterfly.

But it’s Buddhists teachings on how we should relate to each other that I find refreshing. If only we can become more tolerant, less judgmental, more open-minded, and understanding of our love for each other, this world could become a better place.

Impossible? Unattainable? Ridiculous? Perhaps, and then again – perhaps not.

 

Adlai paused to watch a small lizard catch a passing insect with its tongue and swallow it. He suspected that all around him the rhythm of life was being played out with the struggle for survival.

 

What a difference between nature and us humans. Nature’s creatures only kill for food to survive. Even if they kill to defend their territory there is only one objective – to eat and survive. Whereas we humans not only kill for food, we kill to acquire territory and wealth. But this wealth is never distributed. No, it’s hoarded and therefore becomes the source of self-indulgence and greed, gluttony – and envy.

Some of us become wealthy and a lot of us remain poor. The poor are not unlike the creatures of nature, they must struggle to find food simply to survive. It’s the poor and those just struggling to survive that I must reach with a message of hope.

 

With a sigh of contentment, he adjusted his position and luxuriated in the renewed heat of the rock. The afternoon was ending and the sun was lowering in the west.

 

I must go and visit my Abba and Emma soon. They are growing old now and because they are poor, life will be becoming difficult. I must find a way to help. Tavi? I wonder what he’s doing now. It’s strange, I never worry about Tavi. He seems to have an ability to survive all of life’s dilemmas. But it’s good to share friendship with a brother. I really owe him my life for what he did for us in Alexandria. I wonder if he’s married that girl yet – he was obviously in love with her. What was her name? Uummm . . . I don’t believe he mentioned her name.

Ohh . . . Somi! Where are you now? What are you doing? Please don’t forget me. I suppose right now you’re married to Naarad and enjoying life as his wife and the mother of his children. I’ll never forget you. Even though my loins become painful at your memory, in my heart my remembrance is pure. I doubt I’ll ever love another as much as I love you dearest. Your eyes will haunt me to me dying day – as will those sweet little breasts.

Not a word from Cephas or Amenko. I just hope they’re Ok.

 

At the sound of the evening bell, Adlai stirred himself and watched as the sun began to sink behind the Judean hills. It was time for prayer and the evening meal. Tomorrow heralded another peaceful day such as this. Nothing ever disturbed the pulse of life here at Qumran.

Not even the gathering tensions between Rome, the Sanhedrin, Sadducees, Pharisees, and Zealots. The quiet that precedes a storm.

* * * 

 

After leaving Alexandria, Tavi travelled to Tacfarinas’ camp where his experience was sought on Roman military strategy. On returning to Judea, he became determined to resolve the issue of Maria by asking for her hand in marriage. He was totally beguiled now. Somehow, her image seemed to invade his subconscious with memories of her heart-like face, raven hair, and alluring eyes. When she smiled, it was as if a sunbeam fell from the sky to illuminate her and embrace all around her.

With so much time spent in male company, Tavi always enjoyed the refreshing scent of the female. But with Maria, his senses were assaulted by the soft jasmine aroma she preferred and always managed to wear for him.

On arriving back in Judea he settled his affairs and set out for Sepphoris. For some reason he did not tell Simon of his quest. On the way, he visited with his parents who were delighted to learn that he was proposing marriage – and to such a well-bred family. But the closer he got to Sepphoris his apprehension increased. How would Abir receive his proposal?

 

Even though she has rejected his previous advances, I’m sure that it’s just the normal gambit of a young girl not wanting to appear too willing. Hadn’t all the women he’d had not almost swooned when confronted with his member. What young woman wouldn’t want to spend a lifetime as the wife of a famous warrior? Anyway, the issue of marriage was solely between a father and the prospective groom. Certainly, Abir would be pleased to have his daughter betrothed to a famous warrior who fights for the freedom of the Jewish people.

But coming unannounced was a risk. What if Abir was not at home?

 

But he was. And suddenly alarmed when told that Tavi ben Yusuf had asked for a private meeting. For Tavi to ask for a personal meeting must mean that something important had occurred. And when Tavi entered Abir’s study, he looked a little apprehensive – almost deferential. Gone was the swagger of a seasoned soldier.

Tavi approached Abir slowly and had trouble looking Abir in the eye. His hands were clenched nervously at his side.

“Well young man what brings you to my home? Since your return from Aegypt, we’ve heard little from you but I must compliment you on the help given to Tacfarinas. I’ve also heard you took time to clear up a few other loose ends in Alexandria. Well done. Well done indeed. What is your news?”

A short silence ensued as Tavi mustered up the courage to petition Abir. “I’ve come on another matter – a personal matter. Could you spare me some time?”

“Well of course, of course. If it’s in my power to help, then you shall have help gladly. What is it?”

“I wish to marry your daughter. I ask for Maria’s hand in marriage.”

 

Abir’s look of quiet geniality masked a personality that could be both hard and brittle. On hearing Tavi’s words, and once their import had sank in, Abir’s jaw dropped and with it all semblance of geniality.

For what seemed a long time there was silence, until Abir,

“Say again. What did you just say?”

“I love your daughter sir. I love her with every fiber of my being. Each time I‘ve visited with her my love has increased until I cannot envisage life without her at my side. I cannot rest until she becomes my wife and the mother . . ."

“STOP! . . . Stop right there. Say no more! I’ll hear no more . . . are you mad?”

“No, of course not. I’m not mad. Why do you ask if I’m mad? I’m asking you for your daughter's hand in marriage. That’s not being mad. Is it?”

“I’ll hear no more on this subject. In fact, I will not discuss this any further. Go now and I’ll forget you raised such . . . such, ahh . . . foolishness.”

By now, both men were red faced and the level of hostility has escalated to the level of impending physical force.

“I will discuss this matter and you will listen. Again – I want to marry your daughter. If I don’t get your agreement I’ll pursue the matter directly with my beloved.”

“YOUR BELOVED! Your beloved! How dare you use that word for someone who has only expressed friendship for you. Yes, she admires you and your effort for our cause, but that is all. That is all!”

Always carrying a short fuse Tavi began loose his cool. No one. No one was going to interfere with his plans to marry Maria. So then, he did a very foolish thing.

“Old man. Please be kind enough to ask your daughter to attend so she can convince you of her love for me. Please – ask her to attend. Now.”

“With pleasure – young . . . Boy. With pleasure.” And he asked one of the servants to find Maria and bring her to him. Quickly!

Maria entered the room with reticence. By now, the whole house was agog with the drama being played out in her father’s study. All had heard the raised voices so everyone knew that there was a problem between Abir and Tavi.

As usual, she looked radiant. Her hair, freshly washed and combed, glistened in the sunlight. And her eyes sparkled with curiosity. Tavi’s heart missed a beat – she was adorable.

The spell was broken by Abir, who announced very gruffly,

“Daughter, Tavi ben Yusuf has asked for your hand in marriage. What have you to say to that?”

A surge of fear spread through Maria on hearing her father’s words. Subconsciously she had known that this moment might arise for nothing she seemed to say or imply had ever lessened his ardor. And now she was faced with a dreadful moment of truth. In a way, she was almost glad. At least it was now in the open and she had her father as a witness. But she was diplomatic.

“Oh Tavi, Tavi. You do me honour in asking for my hand. I hold you always in the highest esteem. But I value you only as a friend Tavi. Nothing more. I‘ve told you before that my feelings for you have never escalated to anything more than enjoyable friendship. Thank you again dearest Tavi.”

With a dreadful sinking feeling Tavi said,

“What does that mean? You use words that confuse me.”

“What it means young man,” Interjected Abir harshly. “Is that she wants to remain a friend but will not marry you. Clear?”

“You . . . ahh . . . err . . . you don’t want to marry me? You don’t want to marry me? Why? Why? . . . Why?”

“Because she doesn’t love you. Can’t you understand Tavi? She doesn’t want to marry you because she doesn’t love you.”

“STAY OUT OF THIS OLD MAN! I want Maria to speak for herself. Maria?”

Abir let out a huge sigh of frustration as Maria softly said, “I can’t marry you Tavi because I don’t love you.”

When fighting, Tavi always steeled and prepared his body to ward off unexpected blows. But nothing had prepared him for the emotional abyss that now opened before him. Emotions that should have been resolved by rite of passage from childhood to maturity, now overwhelmed him, and – he started to cry.

To cover his shame and to hide his embarrassment, he turned on his heel and fled Abir’s house - and Sepphoris.

Maria and Abir were left in dismay at the turn of events. Maria sought consolation in her father’s arms and Abir realizing that the situation could turn ugly, called a servant to get Simon ben Judah - urgently.

* * *

 

There was the unmistakable air of tension as members of the Lesser Sanhedrin 86 filed stately into the Lishkat ha-Gazith .87

Caiaphas had called the meeting as soon as was practical after his visit with Pilate. Abir ben Micah took his usual place and watched as the other members arraigned themselves into a semi-circle with the seat of President at the end.

 

Interesting, thought Abir. Annas has taken the Presidents chair with Caiaphas to his right. If the old man attends then we’re in for a lively time.

 

When all were seated, Annas opened proceedings.

“You have been summoned here on a matter of great import. At any time should it become obvious that the matter at hand becomes one which should require the full Sanhedrin, and then any one of you has the right to call a vote for deferral to the Sanhedrin.”

There was a murmur of curiosity amongst the assembled participants. When there was no response, Annas said,

“I invite the Chief Priest to give you the reason why we have called this meeting.”

 

Interesting, Abir thought, that he uses the term ‘we’ rather than ‘I’.

 

Caiaphas rose and addressed the group.

“I was summoned into the Governors presence where he proceeded to instruct me on how the Emperor has reacted to the recent hostilities about his image being placed on Roman Standards. Instruct is perhaps too mild a word. Berate is more descriptive. I shall read you a part of the missive received by Pilate.”

Picking up a small scroll, he read,

". . . and the Emperor commands that any attempt to remove His image from His legion’s standards will be regarded as a revolt against His authority and punishable by death."

 

There was absolute silence from the group as they each digested the dire warning contained in the Emperors words. They correctly understood that any one of them who did not take any action to quell the demonstrations could be deemed guilty. It was Amarya of Tiberius, who first spoke,

“But how are we to quell the hostilities when we teach that it is very wrong to worship ‘graven images’?” Surely it is for the Rabbi in each location to explain to our people that it is acceptable for the Emperors image be placed on his own standards?”

Then old Dekel from Ashkelon rose painfully to his feet and thundered, “NO! We cannot change, or dilute, said in most unequivocal terms that there shall be no ‘Graven Images’.”

“Is the Torah so rigid,” replied Amarya harshly “That we cannot bend it a little to save innocent lives? Is it so, my friend?”

“Yes, it is so,” replied Dekel. “And I’m not your friend.” At this point Betzalel from Caesarea spoke up,

“Don’t we now have an impasse? We incur either God’s wrath or alternatively the Emperors’ wrath? How on earth are we supposed to choose between?”

Rabbi Yitzchak of Arimataea next to Abir rose to his feet and barked in Betzalel’s direction - “There is no choice! How can you talk of choice between the Emperor and Yahweh? That is almost certain blasphemy. The truth is we have no choice. We can only obey God’s will as handed down to us in the Torah!”

At this point, there was bedlam as each person tried to inject his interpretation of the Torah. Shouts of ‘Blasphemy’! ‘Idiot’s! ‘Collaborators’! ‘Traitor’! ‘Sacrilege’! added to the verbal onslaught. The chamber descended into sheer chaos.

Only three people stayed silent throughout the frenzied hysteria. Annas, Caiaphas, and Abir – the latter being sickened at the sight of his Pharisee colleagues degrading themselves.

Eventually order began to return and then Abir rose and addressed the gathering silence. Annas and Caiaphas exchanged a questioning glance.

“My friends, my learned friends,” Abir said. “I believe there is a way to resolve this matter.” He paused until he had their complete attention.

“We need to placate the people and draw their attention away from the ‘graven images’ issue. I propose we abolish the annual temple tax and in its place revert to the Law of Moses wherein he decreed that a tax of one half of one shekel 88 be levied at time of each Census.”

Silence. Absolute silence. Then,

“Never! Ridiculous! Impossible! Absurd! Silly”. At least those were some of the reactions that were audible.

Abir knew that his proposal would be unpopular.

Originally, Moses had created the tax simply to maintain the Temple and as such, the tax was supported by Pharisees and Sadducees alike.

But in reality the tax, now levied annually, went to support the opulent lifestyle of the temple priests. They lived in undeniable luxury with mosaic floored reception rooms and dining rooms. Elaborate painted and carved stucco wall decorations and an abundance of fine tableware, glassware, carved stone tabletops, and other interior furnishings and elegant peri-styles.

They lived in lavish mansions while the average Jewish peasant struggled to survive having to pay Roman taxes as well as the Temple tax. The people of the land were carrying a burden they could scarcely bear or tolerate. Palestine was a powder keg waiting to ignite.

And Abir ben Micah was very aware of this. He knew that if relieved of the Temple tax, the people would rejoice and forget their enmity to the Roman standards. But he’d forced the Sanhedrin to reduce their income. They – the temple priests and all Sadducees – could never agree to this, but now he had them compromised.

It was Annas who stood up to speak into the turmoil. He waited until relative quiet returned and then addressed the gathering.

“Our colleague Abir ben Micah has indeed proposed a radical solution to the people’s unrest. I for one don’t believe that such an approach will allay the populace but we must be seen to take action. I therefore propose to call a meeting of the full Sanhedrin within a week – or earlier – to debate the suggestion and then vote. Does anyone disagree with this?”

As there were no objections to the proposition the meeting closed with angry mutterings.

 

* * * 

 

Caiaphas turned to Annas and asked,

“What kind of fool is Abir ben Micah? Surely, he knows that such a proposal will never get passed by the full Sanhedrin. It’s a complete waste of time. Why did you call a meeting of the full Sanhedrin?”

They had remained in the Lishkat ha-Gazith and now sat alone in the chamber. In response to Caiaphas, Annas turned to look on him with barely concealed contempt.

“Sometimes Caiaphas I really do despair for you. But then I feel sorry for you because the truth is that you’re not very intelligent. If only my daughter had married Abir ben Micah then I could go to my grave a happy man.”

With an exasperated sigh he looked towards the ceiling and continued, “It is a political gambit. Abir knows he will lose any such vote at the full Sanhedrin but he’s not concerned with that. He wants to win the acclaim of the populace so even if he loses – he still wins. In short, he’s compromised us!”

By now Caiaphas had learned to ignore his father-in- law’s insults and mused - to himself,

“I wonder then, what his hidden objective is. Right now, we can only speculate because we don’t have enough information. We’ll just have to wait until his strategy becomes clear. All we can do now is formally allow the full Sanhedrin to vote his proposition down and see what he does next.”

Annas turned to look at Caiaphas and said, less cruelly,

“Yes, that’s right. That’s right. Once he has declared himself then we can take appropriate action.” Then added a little wistfully,

“But it would be nice if he were to disappear – permanently.”

 

ANNEXURE NOTES

 

 

80: About 4800 men

81: Fuck!

82: Shithead!

83: Whore

84: Around 12,000 men

85: Now Libya and Tunisia

86: 23 members compared with the Greater Sanhedrin of 71 members The Sanhedrin was a court of justice

87: Hall of Hewn Stones

88: About $US60

89: Chief Roman Tax collector

 

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Abir ben Micah >>> A leader of the Pharisees living in Sepphoris Adlai ben Yusuf >>> Son of Yusuf and Mariam, brother to Tavi and Magdella

Annus >>> Formerly Chief Priest and Father-in-Law to Caiaphas

Brother Zechariah >>> Leader of the ‘Essenes’ based on Qumran Cephas >>> Son of Idra and cousin to Tavi and Adlai

Herod Antipas >>> Son of Herod the Great and ruler of the Provence of Israel

Idra >>> Father of Cephas and Uncle to Adlai and Tavi

Jessica >>> senior housekeeper to Idra ben Micah

Joseph Caiaphas >>> Chief Priest of the temple and son-in-law to Annus

Judah the Galilean >>> Founder of the Sicarii with Zadok

Magdella >>> Sister to Tavi and Adlai

Maria bat Idra >>> Daughter of Abir ben Micah

Mariam >>> Wife of Yusuf

Martha >>> Wife of Idra

Rufus Julius Antonius >>> Roman centurion

Ruth bat Idra>>> Youngest daughter of Abir and sister to Maria Simon ben Judah>>> Son of Judah the Galilean who had been killed

Tavi >>> Elder brother to Adlai and Magdella

Valerius Gratis >>> Governor of Judea until 26CE

Varus >>> Optio or second in command to Rufus

Yusuf ben Toshe >>> Husband to Mariam

Lucius Sejanus >>>>> Praetorian Guard leader and ruler in the Emperor's name

 

 

Zacchaeus >>> Chief Roman Tax Collector residing in Jericho

 

 

Thanx for reading
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..