Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 8,963 Words
  • 935 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 13. Chapter 13

 

Not long after the full Sanhedrin had voted down Abir’s motion on the Temple Tax, Pilate summoned Caiaphas to Caesarea. He also required Zacchaeus, the senior ‘Publicanus’ 89 to attend. As Caiaphas was coming from Jerusalem and Zacchaeus from Jericho, several days had elapsed since the vote was taken.

 

The meeting was set to be in Pilate’s office. Zacchaeus arrived first, and was discussing tax matters with Pilate when Caiaphas, tall and aristocratic, entered the room. On seeing Zacchaeus he stopped and with unseemly anger became enraged,

“Governor, I object to being in the same room as this creature. He is an abomination in the sight of God. He abuses the position of Tax collector by lining his pockets with extra taxes imposed on our people. He appoints agents to collect his taxes and they themselves impose additional taxes on the populace. I – we – despise him and all his underlings.”

Whilst Zacchaeus was short in stature, he was also short in temper. Staring pugnaciously at Caiaphas, he retorted,

“And why do you think Abir ben Micah sought to reduce the Temple Tax? Hmmm . . . Why? Because he knows, as do many, many others, that the largest part of the tax goes to uphold your luxurious lifestyle! You hypocrite! You call me an abomination in the sight of God when you’re doing the same – ripping off our people.”

Caiaphas had seldom been spoken to in such a manner, and,

“In the eyes of God you are a sinner and God will exact full retribution on the Day of Judgment!”

“And surely God will punish you who bear false witness against Him and our people. When . . .”

“STOP THIS. Shut up both of you! I’m sick and tired of you Jews and your damn God.” Pilate paused to recover his composure.

“You know, the Roman Empire contains around 500 Gods and Goddesses and mostly they are a peaceful lot going about the business of being a God quietly with perhaps a miracle here and there. They are well behaved. But you’re God – this Yahweh – has always been trouble. All he ever does is take and demand. He never gives anything back to you – the people he supposedly represents. If he is as all- powerful as you say then why does he allow his people to be ruled by others? At first by the Aegyptians, then by the Babylonians and now – generously – by Rome . . . Hmmm?”

Both Caiaphas and Zacchaeus remained silent. Frankly, there was nothing to refute what Pilate was saying, so they sat mute and allowed Pilate to continue.

“Tell me what you get from your God in return for the onerous conditions he demands you live by? You say that you’re the Chosen people. Ok. What are you chosen for? That you have Life after death. You can’t even agree on that. No! I don’t – and will not – demean myself and the entire Roman empire by being enslaved both in body and mind, to your God.”

This last tirade by Pilate left both Jewish leaders speechless. In a sense, they were stymied. Turning now to Caiaphas, Pilate said,

“You have no right to denounce Zacchaeus for the collection of Roman taxes. You know full well, that the Publicanus contracts with Rome to remit a sum of money to the Roman Treasury. For doing this, he receives no fee from Rome by way of compensation. Therefore, he is fully entitled to any extra taxes he may collect to maintain a moderate lifestyle. And . . .” turning and addressing Zacchaeus, Pilate said heavily . . .

“I stress the emphasis on ‘moderate’ Zacchaeus. If you abuse your privilege by extorting high taxes, you will lose your position of Publicanus. Understand?”

Zacchaeus nodded his agreement, while Caiaphas simply sneered. But he was not to be spared,

“And now I come to the so called Temple Tax. I’m going to conduct a campaign to tell the people of Palestine that this tax has got nothing to do with Rome. It should be abolished. As I understand, the Tax was originally proposed by your Moses when the Jewish people occupied an independent state - when you had your own King and administration. Clearly, that has now changed. I believe I have it within my power to abolish the Temple Tax.”

Caiaphas had gone white with fear and fury. This was a direct challenge against the power of the clergy and Jewish historical traditions. It was Zacchaeus’ turn to sneer.

“If you do that,” thundered Caiaphas. “You’ll have an insurrection against Rome. I can assure you that if it comes down to a conflict between Rome and the clergy, on the Temple tax, Rome will surely lose. And what will the Emperor have to say when he hears that his Province of Palestine is in revolt?”

“He won’t say anything because I’ll not let it get that far. But I’m simply giving you notice Caiaphas, that I regard the Temple Tax as the single most dangerous issue that confronts me as Governor. Who is this Abir ben Micah and what is his agenda?”

Caiaphas answered with,

“He is a business man of moderate means from Sepphoris who is also a member of the local Sanhedrin. Of course he is a Pharisee.”

“Well, keep a close watch on him and let me know if he’s going to be a problem. But to me, it seems his only interest is in saving ordinary people from paying the Temple Tax unnecessarily. And that’s your problem not mine.”

Sitting back in his chair, Pilate placed both hands on his desk and with a smile said, “Well, this has gone well. Our little talk has been fruitful, so let’s adjourn to the garden for some refreshments - both of you.”

* * * 

 

Simon ben Judah approached Abir as he was leaving the Lishkat ha-Gazith after the vote by the Sanhedrin. For someone who had just lost an important vote, Abir seemed somewhat pleased with the outcome. As Simon joined him, he was standing in the Temple court surveying the scene. It was a sordid sight.

“I take it the vote went as you expected? How did the numbers stack up?”

“Well, of course all the Sadducees voted against, but of the Pharisees, half voted for the proposal. That is a very good springboard to start our campaign. But Simon, will you look at what’s going on in the Temple forecourt. It’s disgusting. Every time I come here I get appalled.”

Following Abir’s gaze, Simon looked into the forecourt proper. It was cluttered and overflowing with all types of people performing a range of activities. There were stalls for moneylenders, food stalls, entertainers, male and female whores, hawkers and visitors just ambling around enjoying themselves. No one was praying or undertaking any devout activities. It seemed there were more Gentiles than Jews.

“Yes, I agree,” sighed Simon. “It is a disgrace not only because of the activities going on but more importantly, there aren’t any Temple police around to stop these transgressions. Our sacred temple is being desecrated and no one cares.”

For a while, the two men watched in silence. Then Abir turned to Simon and said,

“I received a note from Brother Zechariah saying he had a young man studying with him who just might be a candidate for our cause. He’s bringing him to my home in two days time. He’s taking him to Jerusalem for his first visit but in particular, to visit the Temple. From the enthusiasm in his note I gleaned that Brother Zechariah is impressed.”

Simon placed his hand on Abir’s shoulder and gave it a comradely squeeze.

“That’s really good news. And timely. Very timely. I can feel the temperament of the people rising so it would be good to have someone out amongst them. Do you know his name?”

Abir turned to face Simon,

“No. No I don’t. I’ll find out when Zechariah brings him to my home. Have you heard from Tavi? I’ll be haunted by the devastation on his face until the day I die. He looked awful when he left so abruptly.”

With a sigh Simon admitted,

“No, he hasn’t been seen. But I’ve not gone looking for him. Best to leave him be until the trauma dissipates. It’s difficult with someone like Tavi. On one hand, you’re dealing with an adult and at the same time, he’s a child. He’s never really grown up. But let me assure you – you did the right thing. Tavi marrying your daughter would have been a disaster.”

“Well,” sighed Abir. “That’s small comfort. I just hate to see anyone in emotional pain. Please let me know when he turns up. I just want to know he’s alright.”

“I will. And Abir, I have a feeling that events are flowing to our advantage. The time has never been so favorable for us to advance our cause with the people.”

* * * 

 

Maria and Abir were sitting in the courtyard on a fine early summer’s day. For weeks now, Maria had brooded about the showdown with Tavi. She felt very guilty and responsible for Tavi’s rejection even if there really was nothing she could do about it. Maria was a gentle soul who naturally reached out to anyone in distress, so the knowledge that she was, in part, responsible for another person’s misery weighed heavily upon her. She kept going over their meetings trying to discern if she ever had led the boy astray, but in the end, she was sure that the entire ardor was in Tavi’s mind. Jessica had assured her that she was blameless in the affair.

“He’ll get over it,” advised Jessica. “Men have a short memory span when it comes to matters of the heart. Before long, he’ll be out picking fights and seducing women and won’t give you a further thought. Just you wait and see.”

All well and good for Jessica, who was a spinster. But for now her abba was talking,

“You see child, it was all in Tavi’s mind. He simply mistook friendship for love. Just to be sure, I asked Jessica and she affirmed that you never displayed any unseemly affection to the boy, so don’t fret so. He’ll get over it. Now I’m expecting two guests, so please have the kitchen staff prepare some refreshments. I’ll call when we need them. OK?”

When Maria left, Abir sat in thought,

 

Soon I’ll have to find someone suitable for her to marry. She’s too beautiful to be left without a husband. But that’s not important for the moment. There’s a strong rumor that Pilate has carpeted Caiaphas about the vote. That’s exactly what I want – to keep them off balance. But now comes the most important part of the plan – to have a suitable person out talking face to face with the people. Talking, in their homes, the markets, the village squares and yes even the synagogues.

We, the people of Judea and Israel must have change. We can’t go on like this. We’re too disunited and overtaxed. Something tells me that Simon and the Zealots are planning some action. As much as I’d love to ask, better to stay out of it for the time being. But I must admit to being curious. In the overall plan, the Zealots . . .

He was interrupted by one of the servants announcing the arrival of Brother Zechariah.

When the Essene came into the garden Abir greeted him warmly – just two old friends who enjoyed each other’s company but whose meetings were not frequent.

“Abir, Abir, cried Zechariah. “You are looking extremely well. I would have thought a prosperous man such as you would show a little paunch by now, but here you are, looking trim and relaxed.”

“Ahh Zechariah my friend, you’re too pale. Get out from your books and manuscripts and let the sun bring a little color to your cheeks. Don’t let your responsibilities rob you of the joy of living.”

“My friend, I find joy in teaching and seeing my scholars advance in knowledge and wisdom. That’s where I find happiness and joy. This brings me to this young man here. Abir ben Micah let me introduce Adlai ben Yusuf.”

 

The young man accompanying Zechariah stepped into view and extended a hand towards Abir who returned the greeting. Abir saw a young man with dark shoulder length hair and intense brown eyes. He was tall, in fact taller than both Abir and Zechariah, with the broad shoulders of a person used to manual work. And his face radiated a combination of compassion and resolve.

 

Abir suddenly felt he was in the presence of a remarkable person. And then Adlai spoke,

“Thank you for allowing me to shake your hand sir. Your name is well known and admired.”

Short, sparingly and pleasant. Abir found the tone almost musical. Adlai’s voice had a special timbre about it that made you want to listen. Abir was impressed – in fact, very impressed. At first sight, this lad was imposing.

“You don’t look like the type of person, Adlai ben . . .?”

“Yusuf sir . . . Adlai ben Yusuf.” Adlai obliged.

“Yes . . . ben Yusuf. Come – indulge an old man. You don’t look like the usual person who’d want to become a rabbi. You look as someone who is used to manual labor. Not immersed in books like my learned friend here. Come sit both of you.”

At Abir’s invitation, Adlai and Zechariah sat down as Adlai responded,

“That’s because I’ve spent some time at sea. It was a wonderful experience and helped develop my body as well as my mind.”

“Ahh the sea, the sea! I know very little of sea voyages except that they can be fraught with danger.”

And then Abir being remindful of his duties as host said,

“Ohh manners, manners, please forgive me. Let me call for refreshments. You must have something to eat and drink after your long journey.” And then called out,

“Maria, Maria – please bring us some food and drink.”

But that young woman was experiencing difficulty. When the guests arrived she, out of curiosity, sneaked a look behind a drapery. When she looked upon the young man accompanying Brother Zechariah something happened – to both her body and mind. Her heart started to beat fast and her breathing became difficult. She continued watching as he moved into the garden.

Now she lost all her poise and confidence. She felt awkward and found it suddenly necessary to check that her hair was still combed properly and that her makeup was subtle. In the mirror, she saw that her cheeks were flushed and a little crimson.

She became annoyed with herself for not controlling her emotions and, at the same time, dreaded the moment she would have to go into the garden carrying refreshments.

What if I trip? What if I start to stutter like an idiot? What if I say something stupid? What if he ignores me?

And now as she heard her abba call to bring refreshments she became terrified. What on earth was happening? She began to have difficulty breathing and her heart was pounding loudly. This was silly! All the refreshments were neatly arraigned on a tray by Jessica ready to be taken into the garden. Jessica nodded to her to take the tray out.

So she carefully picked up the tray, made sure it was balanced evenly and stepping out for the garden - tripped over a low footstool that she hadn’t seen.

In her effort to stop falling, she dropped the tray, so with a terrible din, drinking cups, wine jugs, honey cakes, and other edibles promptly crashed to the floor with a noise that could be heard throughout the house – and garden. The floor was awash with wine, soggy cakes and broken pottery.

Maria just stared at the mess in horror. That is until Jessica came to her rescue and lifted her to her feet. With effortless grace, Jessica cleaned the tray and arranged for new cups and more honey cakes to be placed on the tray – along with a new jug of wine.

Picking up the tray, Jessica said to a still mortified Maria,

“Come child, I’ll take the tray out and you follow. You can then serve your abba’s guests as he intended. A foolish young man doesn’t frighten me!”

Out in the garden, they all heard the crash but Adlai and Brother Zechariah politely said nothing “I wonder what that was?” managed Abir. “It sounds like something was dropped. Well, I have excellent servants and I’m sure they’ll attend to the matter.”

Recovering himself Abir asked Adlai,

“How long were you at sea? Whilst we await our refreshments perhaps, you can tell me about being at sea. What was it like?”

So Adlai gave an abridged version of the trip from Barbarikon to Berenike but leaving out some of the ghoulish parts such as Hamal’s death. Just as he was finishing he saw an older woman come out of the house carrying a tray of refreshments followed by Somi. Followed by Somya?

Somi! This young girl has the same heart-shaped face, dark – almost black - flowing hair, and deep brown eyes - the same beautiful features that endeared me to Somi. And yet she is not Somi. But the resemblance is astonishing. Her lips are not as wide and her nose is a little smaller than Somi’s. I must be careful not to show my amazement. This young, beautiful girl must be Abir’s daughter, Maria.

“Aha,” cried Abir. “Here are our offerings for you to satisfy your thirst and hunger. Thank you Jessica.” Abir gave Jessica an enquiring glance, but she refused to respond. He then introduced Maria.

“And this is my daughter, Maria who fills my waning years with joy and pleasure. Maria, you have met Brother Zechariah before and now let me introduce Adlai ben Yusuf.”

Both Maria and Adlai responded politely although both were struggling with their churning emotions.

Closer to Adlai, Maria became aware of his gentle face and eyes that appeared to look deep into your soul. His small but neatly trimmed beard did not detract from his youthful features, and his skin, a natural brown, gleamed with good health.

“Well met Maria bat Abir. I am indeed honored to meet you.” The sound of his voice thrilled Maria and she found herself, again, gasping for breath. To hide her extreme discomfort she lowered her eyes and demurely whispered,

“Thank you, Adlai ben Yusuf.”

 

Ben Yusuf? It has a familiar sound. Have I heard that name before? I can’t really remember. Perhaps it will come to me. Right now, I have to leave his company before I do something foolish.

 

“I wonder Abba if you’ll excuse me. I must get back to my weaving loom. We all need warm clothing for the coming winter.”

“Arr . . . yes, of course child. We shan’t detain you.”

 

What on earth is going on? Maria hasn’t touched the loom in years. Not since she was a little child. And I know she hates working the loom, so why lie about it now?

 

And Adlai suddenly felt a twinge of anxiety. He wanted desperately for Maria to stay.

 

I want to feast my eyes on her. It . . . it’s as if Somi has come back into my life again. But this Maria is different in subtle ways. Her makeup is less extenuating than Somi’s. She doesn’t use kohl to highlight her eyes and lips and she carries herself in a maidenly fashion. I do so want to talk to her. To find out more about her – what she likes, what she dislikes, what she thinks about and what she cares about.

And I’m getting that familiar but welcome tingling in my lions again. I must see more of her.

 

Back in the land of reality, Maria swiftly excused herself, leaving three males to watch her very feminine departure.

“Ahhhh . . .” Abir indulged in a long sigh. “When she was a little girl I was able to understand what she was thinking about. Now . . . now all I have is confusion. Perhaps, Adlai ben Yusuf being young yourself, perhaps you understand the female species more than do I?”

“No,” Adlai indulged in a small laugh. “I must admit to finding the entire female species confusing.”

“Do you not have sisters in your family?” asked Abir innocently. Adlai looked towards the ground and in a sad voice replied,

“Yes. I had a sister once. Younger than I. But she was raped and killed by the Romans.”

There was an awkward silence as Abir and Zechariah absorbed this.

Then,

“I’m sorry Adlai. That must have been a terrible burden to bear. I take it she was quite young?”

“Yes, she was only nine.” Adlai said this in such a way to indicate he wanted to close the matter. Changing the subject, Abir enquired,

‘So, Brother Zechariah is taking you up to Jerusalem. I’ve recently come from there, and I must say that every time I visit I come home a little disheartened.” With a sigh he continued,

“There is much wrong in our country these days. More than being protected by Roman rule I fear we have simply become slaves and our religion becomes a burden. I’m more concerned by our religious shortcomings than Roman occupation. Rome is a world power these days so it’s an obligation we must live with. But our own religion offers no succor to our people. In a sense they’ve been betrayed by those who should have their well-being at heart.”

Adlai, listening to Abir, felt a surge of enthusiasm. It was helpful to hear a complete stranger reveal his own concerns about their religion.

“I must agree with you sir. In fact, I have concluded that our religion is a yolk around our people’s neck and is in need of drastic change. I commend your recent attempt to lower the Temple tax. It was a bold and courageous attempt at reform. You have my wholehearted support. I say this in earnest.”

“Well thank you young man, thank you. I could use some help from younger people. We, the elders, are large on talk but very short on action. And, please call me Abir. It seems we’re of similar minds so there is no need to be formal – even though I appreciate your respect.”

“Adlai has absorbed much wisdom in his life,” interjected Zechariah. “He spent a long time in Hindustan and then Aegypt, where he studied with a very good friend of mine, Ibrahim the Teacher. In fact, Ibrahim recommended Adlai to me. He’s been a welcome addition to our brotherhood at Qumran.”

“Is it your plan to become a Rabbi, Adlai?”

“No . . . umm, Abir. No, I don’t want to go that path. I want to become a teacher. To help the poor . . . in fact to help all people regardless of their station in life, to live a happy and rewarding existence.”

“That is indeed a lofty ambition in one so young. How are you going to accomplish this?”

“When the time is right, I want to go out and talk to people. Not only talk – but also listen to them. Their cares, their worries, their questions and most of all – their complaints. I’ve made this my life’s objective. My resolve.”

“You are a rare young man indeed,” complimented Abir with a look that encompassed both Adlai and Zechariah. Yes, a rare young man. If Brother Zechariah agrees, we will talk more.” Abir saw Zechariah acknowledge with a slight nod of his head.

‘Now, you are probably anxious to continue your journey. I’ll be interested to learn what you think of Jerusalem upon your return.”

 

Adlai’s departure left Maria in a mess. She wanted him to spend more time, particularly with her, but all Adlai did was to utter a very curt and formal, “It’s been nice to meet you, Maria. I hope to see more of you soon.”

That was all! All he said was ‘nice to meet you’. She had to know more about this young man who had invaded her sheltered existence. And why was the name ‘ben Yusuf’ so tantalizingly familiar. But for the first time in her young life, she felt unfamiliar stirrings in her lions. She was very confused.

More than confused, she was also a little frightened. In the past, she had made a game of overtures by young men, and was able to almost make them bend to her bidding - like Tavi. Because she felt no emotion, she could almost pitilessly deal with their feelings. But now the tables were turned.

She was the one who yearned to touch him, to laugh with him, to be caressed by him, to drink in his aroma and, yes, perhaps to sleep with him. Although she knew very little about making love, she just felt a terrible yearning for him.

 

Adlai! Adlai! What a beautiful name. And how can it be that I’m so happy but at the same time so miserable. I can’t talk to Jessica because she’s too old to understand what I’m feeling and my sister Ruth is too young. If only Emma was alive to help me. I don’t know how to conduct myself, so I’m sure to make a fool of myself.

I do know that I’ve never had such feelings for a young man. Deep down I know that he’s the one for me. How strange that in only a few short hours, my life’s future has changed.(with a sigh) Maybe I’ll talk to Jessica – I’ve got to talk to another woman about what’s happening to me.

 

Adlai departed from Abir’s home captivated with the image of Maria. She was so like Somi in looks but so unlike in manner. He couldn’t get her image out of his mind. Her sweet smile, the sway of her maidenly hips, the softness of her voice, the way she held her head, and the gentle femininity she radiated. When she had served him his wine, he caught her essential aroma - like the scent of vanilla.

But he determined to let any relationship develop gradually. Falling in love with Somi had taught him a valuable lesson - to hasten slowly.

He must keep focused on the visit to Jerusalem. He must learn, and learn, and then learn more. The focus in his life now, was to help his people. Romantic entanglements could wait.

* * * 

 

Abir was enjoying the early afternoon sunshine when Simon the Zealot was announced.

“Welcome, welcome my friend. It was good of you to come so quickly.”

“By the tone of your message I assumed that your meeting with Brother Zachariah went well. You sounded very positive so I was keen to talk with you as soon as possible. I gather you liked this err . . .”

“Adlai, Adlai is his name.”

“Yes – Adlai. Tell me about him.”

So Abir retold the meeting with Zechariah and Adlai and summed up with a very impressive character analysis.

“So you believe this Adlai ummm . . . what is his family name?” “Ohh . . . I’m sorry. I think it is ‘ben Yusuf’. Yes – Adlai ben Yusuf.

Forgive me for not telling you before.”

Simon didn’t react but his immediate thought was,

 

‘Ben Yusuf’! He surely is a relation to Tavi who bears the same family name. Best I not say anything right now, until I find out. Knowing how Abir regards Tavi, I’d best be discreet. Hmmm – suddenly my subconscious is telling me to be careful.

 

As if reading Simon’s mind, Abir asked in a soft voice, “Do you have any news of Tavi? Has he been in touch? I can’t shake off the feeling of guilt.”

“Yes, he returned four days ago. But he seems changed. Colder perhaps. Certainly less devoid of any natural emotions. But look you Abir; Tavi was heading towards a big fall emotionally. It would have happened with any young female he desired. It was just unfortunate it was your beautiful young daughter with whom he became devoted. You – and Maria – should not feel guilt.”

“Ahh,” sighed Abir.”All well and good to say. But at night the weight of guilt weighs heavy.”

“That’s only because you’re a decent man, Abir. Your own gentleness is punishing you. Now, enough of that. How do you intend to move our cause forward?”

“Well, I must await Adlai’s reaction to Jerusalem and visiting the Temple before involving our young candidate further. I’m expecting a message from Zechariah upon his return. I’m preparing to make a speech in the local Sanhedrin tomorrow to keep applying political pressure. What about you and your Zealots?”

“I have something big in the planning. I’m not ready to confide just yet. I will, just as soon as the planning is advanced. I don’t want any leaks. I’m going to use Tavi. What I have in mind requires the services of a skilled Sicarii.”

Abir gave a small laugh while saying, “Just the fact that you’re using a Sicarii tells me more than I should know.”

* * * 

Jerusalem! At last! Jerusalem!

The focus of every Jew was to visit David’s holy city at least once in their lifetime. The city has suffered besiegement, attack, capture and recapture many times but still had withstood the onslaught of history. Founded by King David, it was then ruled by his son King Solomon, who built the First Temple to house the Ark of the Covenant – containing the tablets that Moses used to inscribe the Ten Commandments.

Jerusalem! It is situated on the southern spur of a plateau in the Judean Mountains, which include – in the east - the Mount of Olives and Mount Scopus in the northeast. The elevation of the City is only slightly above sea level 90. The whole of Jerusalem is surrounded by valleys and dry riverbeds. The Kidron, Hinnom, and Tyropoeon Valleys intersect in an area just south of the city. The Kidron Valley runs to the east and separates the Mount of Olives from the city proper. The city is surrounded by forests of almond, olive and pine trees.

 

Adlai was consumed by a gentle delight at being in the city that symbolized his nation and its people. Entering by the Water Gate, they passed through parts of the lower city and approached the steps that led to the Royal portico and the Court of the Gentiles. As they got closer, they began to hear loud noises and the shouts of people coming from the Temple precincts. Adlai asked of Zechariah,

“I had assumed the Temple would be a place of quiet worship. Is it always this noisy?”

“I have never known it so. Perhaps we’re to behold some festival of which I’m not aware.”

They hurried on and upon entering the Court of the Gentiles beheld a terrible sight. Bad enough that the area looked like a bazaar with stalls everywhere. That was bad enough, but there was a fierce battle being raged between a group who were obviously Temple Guards and others.

And it was more than a simple fight. The battle had turned ugly and degenerated into a killing frenzy. Some unfortunate stallholders had been slain and lay, with Temple guards, in a ghastly embrace of death.

Adlai and Zechariah looked on with mounting horror.

This scene of death and blood lust shouldn’t be happening in the confines of the sacred Temple. The air was rancid with the scent of blood, voided bowels and bladders and - fear. Cries of mercy were being futilely cut short by fatal thrusts. Who were these intruders? They were obviously well trained and disciplined fighting men, because they went about their terrible trade meticulously.

Adlai found his voice and asked roughly, “Who are they? Who are these dreadful murderers who desecrate our Temple? Who are they?”

And Zechariah answered with a long sigh,

“They are Sicarii”. “Sicarii! How do you know they are Sicarii?”

“Because I’ve met their leader. The one over there (pointing) near the Temple treasury about to slit that guards throat.”

Adlai followed Zechariah’s direction and froze in horror. It was Tavi! And at that moment Tavi choose to plunge his dagger deep into the guard’s throat. Blood spurted all over the guard and Tavi - who seemed heedless of the carnage.

Tavi. His big brother Tavi. Whom he had looked up to and admired. Who seemed so full of the joy of life. Who was the eldest son of loving parents. Who was now killing senselessly. And Adlai couldn’t speak – only look on helplessly.

Then a small lump of anger began to develop deep within him. This anger grew until it became rage. An all- consuming rage that was an unwelcome and totally new experience. He didn’t know what to do. Except that the killing had to stop. It was appalling. Senseless. Atrocious and – disgusting. Without thinking he shouted,

“STOP! TAVI – STOP THIS!”

And stop they did. The sound of Adlai’s raised voice acted as a circuit breaker and everyone froze.

Zechariah said softly with a sob, “Forgive them, Lord. Forgive them. We are become beasts.”

For one appalling moment, it became a frozen tableau of death. The only sounds were the whimpers of dying men. Then Tavi carelessly wiped his dagger on the dead victim’s tunic and strode towards Adlai calling out to his men to resume the slaughter.

“What are you doing here Adlai? And I should ask you the same question, priest?”

For a long moment, the brothers stared at each other.

In contrast – Adlai clean and comfortably dressed and Tavi, covered in gore, carrying the smell and sight of death on his body and tunic. They continued to stare at each other until Tavi asked again,

“What are you doing here little brother? This is no place for a soft soul such as you.”

“I came with Brother Zechariah to visit the holy Temple. The temple that is sacred and, until this day, undefiled by bloodshed. What I witness now before my eyes, is a sight I’ll long remember with sadness. And then I find my own brother leading the slaughter. You! Tavi! You. My own brother!”

“Oh spare me your sanctimonious weeping. You, brother know nothing of life, or of hardship. If our people are to regain their freedom, it will be because of people like me who prefer action to sanctified mumblings. If you find me disgusting I find you and your kind pathetic.”

As it so often happens in life, an unbridgeable gap opened up between the two brothers. In a way, they had taken the first step to becoming enemies. Looking Tavi squarely in the eye, Adlai said,

“I don’t know you Tavi. How can I still call you brother?”

“I don’t really care what you call me. And I don’t really care what you think about me. Right now, I just have to get you and the priest out of harm’s way.”

Then, still looking directly at Adlai, he called, over his shoulder to,

“Benjamin! Here please”.

And a man about Tavi’s age came running over to where they stood. He was a little short of breath but the detritus and smell of carnage was all over him.

“Yes?’

“Take these two to our encampment in the garden of Gethsemane and make sure they are kept out of harm’s way until I can join you. We’re nearly finished here, so we won’t be long. Now - please”.

With that, Benjamin gestured to Adlai and Zechariah to follow him. Without a glance back, Tavi returned to the slaughter.

* * * 

Not a word was spoken on the way to Gethsemane. Adlai was too numb to speak and Benjamin concerned only to get his charges to safety. By now the alarm would’ve been sounded. The garden had been transformed into a temporary armed camp with piles of weapons, water ampoules, and food. Other warriors who were designated for medical activities awaited the arrival of the main troop. Adlai and Zechariah sat side by side amidst all the paraphernalia of war.

“You’ve met my brother before?” Adlai asked of Zechariah.

He responded

“Yes. I was introduced to him by Simon ben Judah, the Zealot leader. I cannot tell you young Adlai about the pain I bear, and will forever bear, at the sight of all those dead. Jews killing other Jews! What are we becoming? – have become?”

Sadly, Adlai responded,

“Well, you talk of pain. I talk of betrayal – by my own brother. My abba and emma would be inconsolable to learn what has become of their oldest son. And not only being a Sicarii, but to be their leader! When young, he was always a little boisterous but to know that he’s degenerated to this . . . this . . . evil, I really can’t bear the thought.”

At that moment, Tavi and the rest of the Sicarii arrived back. In spite of the slaughter they’d just finished, they were in a good mood – laughing and re-telling how many Temple guards they had killed. Tavi went amongst his warriors issuing compliments, slapping backs, sharing moments and occasionally offering advice.

Eventually he made his way to where Adlai and Zechariah sat sullenly in a corner of the garden. He stood silently gazing down at his brother.

“We’re at war, little brother and in war there can only be casualties. If we’re to win, we must become more vicious than our enemies. Frankly, I don’t care what you and the priest think of me. I’m not after your approval or support. Winning is everything.”

“No it’s not!” cried Zechariah. “It certainly is not. By debasing ourselves with actions such as I have just witnessed, you debase our cause. Are we to become beasts?”

“Your words don’t mean anything to me priest. Not a thing. You go and fight for our cause in your own pious way and I’ll fight our cause my way.”

“Is it our cause or is it Tavi’s cause?” wondered Adlai aloud. “I believe you’re just using ‘our cause’ to justify your murderous actions. I don’t know you any more Tavi. I don’t know you. I don’t want to know you!”

“Whatever!” Tavi said dismissively. “Whatever. Now you must be on your way and quickly. There is bound to be reprisals and I don’t want civilians complicating matters. Although I dare say many more civilians will die this day!” He called, “Benjamin!”

When Benjamin arrived, Tavi ordered,

“Clean yourself quickly. I don’t want you travelling through Jerusalem with gore all over you. Do it quickly. Then escort my brother and this priest to the Water gate and then onto the road to the salty sea. Rejoin us at Golgotha. Go now.”

“I’ll take my leave Adlai. Be careful.” And turned to leave. And then stopped.

“I forgot to tell you about Cephas. His friend Amenko was killed in the same battle that took the life of Tacfarinas. Cephas has obtained employment with Herod Antipas doing translations or suchlike. He is well and sends his regards.”

* * * 

 

Despondency was their constant companion on the way back to Qumran. In Adlai’s case, it was despondency bordering on despair. The scene in the Temple never left his thoughts – even at night. Was Tavi the sole instigator? It would probably lessen the blow if someone else had planned and organized the atrocity, leaving his brother to simply implement the attack. He probably would never know.

It seems we are to travel on different paths now. How did this streak of malevolence arise in you Tavi? What has caused you to choose the direction now taken? I don’t know the person you’ve become – and I don’t like it!

And so they continued their troubled journey home. There were long moments of silence and Zechariah could almost feel Adlai grappling with his misery. Talking always helped.

“I know you weep for your brother. I know you wonder what has happened to change him into the cruel warrior he has become. And it is well you should weep. Don’t try and hold back your tears. In a sense, you are grieving for a loved one who has un-expectantly been killed. Try to remember then, the loved brother of your youth.”

Adlai nodded, slightly interested in Zechariah’s words – who continued, “During our nurtured years we’re protected from the evils of the real world. Our parents shelter us from reality. So the abrupt change from being cosseted to the harshness of the real world is, in some, too much to bear. In time we . . .”

“Rabbi, I’ve been prepared. In Hindustan . . .”

“No, please let me finish. I’m not referring to you. I’m talking about your brother. He is the one who has been troubled. His early years ended too quickly.”

“But he never had to suffer any real hardship. He wasn’t there when our little sister was murdered. All he knows is killing – being aggressive.”

“Exactly, Adlai. Exactly. As you tell it, he went from being a boisterous youth to a warrior of death – in a short span of time. Am I correct?”

“Yes,” replied Adlai cautiously. “Yes – I guess that’s correct. Is there some point to this?”

“I’m simply saying that his childhood emotions have never had a chance to mature. They have not been strengthened gradually by life’s experiences. You, on the other hand, are like a fine blade that has been toughened by physical and emotional trauma. You have matured Adlai – whereas your brother has not.”

Adlai looked at Zechariah with surprise. He had never considered himself superior to Tavi. But Zechariah was right. He no longer viewed Tavi as being better in any way.

Adlai didn’t respond straight away. Zechariah could see him churning over what had just been said. Then another thought occurred to Zechariah,

 

Maria ben Abir! Being rejected must’ve been brutal for someone like Tavi ben Yusuf. I doubt if he could cope. Resorting to violence is the only way for a child like Tavi ben Yusuf to deal with adversity.

Is that what we witnessed in the Temple – ben Yusuf reacting to being discarded? I fear so. I fear so. So how would he react if that young lady falls in love with his younger brother? Hmmm. Her behavior at meeting Adlai was certainly that of a love-struck maiden. Yet he didn’t show any sign of returning her interest. (sigh) Not like the first time the Sicarii met the girl. He was like a little puppy. But if a relationship develops between the girl and Adlai, I fear the Sicarii will lose his sanity.

And I cannot mention any of this to Adlai. Also, I must warn Simon not to tell the Sicarii about his brother – just keep a close watch for any abnormal behavior by ben Yusuf.

 

“You’re right Brother. I’m having difficulty trying to erase the sights and sounds of the massacre and my brother’s involvement. Yes – choosing violence, he’s crossed an invisible line and . . . and . . . I want no part of it.”

So they journeyed on and were now only a few sha'ah 91 from Qumran. Zechariah was eagerly looking forward to resting, saying prayers, and refreshing himself with food and drink.

They topped a slight rise and saw, before them, the salty sea and, over towards the right their destination, Qumran. Adlai stopped and sitting on a rock, beheld the vista before him. It was a barren sight, with a mountain ridge off to the left tapering down to the flats that surrounded the salty sea. Only rocks could be seen – no trees or other vegetation. The air, propelled by a gentle breeze, smelt dry and earthy. Zechariah joined him and something about Adlai’s demeanor counseled him to silence. For several moments, they stayed quiet. Zechariah was sure however, by the look on his face, that Adlai’s mind was in conflict. Something about the moment caused Zechariah a twinge of anxiety. Eventually Adlai, still looking into the distance said softly,

“I believe my time has come. Whereas my brother chooses to spend his days fighting and killing, I intend to travel amongst our people giving a message of peace – of love for each other. I want to instill hope. The time has come Rabbi, to refresh our daily lives and look to the future - not be engulfed in our past. We need to challenge the ways we worship Yahweh. I believe Yahweh is a gentle god, a forgiving god – not a rapacious god.”

Zechariah looked closely at Adlai and could see that he was in earnest about what he was proposing. So softly, he encouraged,

“If indeed you are determined on this course, then perhaps you should make your thoughts clear, to me, before seeking a wider audience.”

Adlai paused and with a slight nod of agreement continued,

“Firstly, let me talk about love. It is the single most powerful emotion we have. If I were to say to you ‘brother, I love you’, it would be extremely hard for you to hate me in turn. If you say that you love someone, then our response as human beings can only be positive. Love is the reason we make lifetime commitments to each other. Love is the binding force between family members. Love sometimes causes us to die for another person, or die for a cause.”

Zechariah slowly nodded his head in agreement.

“And then there is forgiveness. When somebody or something crosses us and causes grief, we’re consumed by rage and the need for revenge. To right the wrong. To balance the scales. But this only leads to an escalation of the original offence. It’s like building a wall of bricks. First, you put up your brick and then I add mine. And so on until the wall is too high for us to see each other. Or to listen to each other. But, on the other hand, were I to say to you right at the start ‘I forgive you’ then – there’s no need for any bricks.”

“Ahhhh, young man. What you say is true. But it’s easy to ask for forgiveness, but very hard to forgive. I’m afraid our fundamental nature precludes us from dispensing forgiveness.”

“And you’re right. But all I’ll ask of each person is to find an incident where they have been wronged, and then forgive that one transgression. Just one incident.”

“Hmmm. An interesting concept. Perhaps you could start with yourself – now?”

Adlai smiled at Zechariah’s challenge and then said,

“The father of my beloved Somya, arraigned for me to be abducted without a chance to say goodbye and I’ve always harbored a grudge for what he did. No, it’s more than a grudge – I’m embittered. I’m also angry with my uncle Idra for his part in my abduction. Now, please witness Brother – I completely forgive them both.”

“That’s very commendable. But suppose I ask you several days hence how you feel.”

Nodding in acceptance, Adlai returned to his main thoughts. “Taxation has become too burdensome. First, we must pay taxes to Rome for them to keep the peace, and then in addition, our people must pay a half-shekel annually for the temple upkeep. But all the Temple tax does is maintain the Temple priests in lavish lifestyles.”

Zechariah nodded in agreement, while Adlai continued,

“I would have the Temple tax abolished and replaced with the original levy of a half-shekel every five years at the census. This was proposed by Abir ben Micah just recently and the vote indicated some agreement for this proposal. But very few of our people know about Abir’s proposition. I would carry this message to the common people.”

Zechariah looked on Adlai with a frown. What he was proposing would cause trouble with powerful men. The Temple rabbis’ would resist violently. Adlai’s life could be at stake. No, not could be – would be!

“This proposition of yours will be popular with ordinary folk, but would be bitterly resisted by our so called religious leaders. I hope you know what you’re in for?”

“Change is always fiercely resisted because when there is major change some win, while others lose.”

Zechariah was about to comment, but Adlai stopped him with, “Please Brother, let me continue. I want to get all my thoughts out into the open. To stir the air in this dry arid place with hope and optimism. I see no reason for Rome to have Tax gatherers. We know they are corrupt and place an intolerable burden on the people of this land. I would replace them with local rabbis, in each village or settlement. They alone should be the only ones to collect taxes. Rome doesn’t care who collects taxes, only that they are received promptly.”

Zechariah continued to stare at Adlai. When he didn’t offer any rebuttal Adlai paused and looking down at the ground traced some lazy patterns with his foot upon the earth. He continued talking,

“In my few short years I’ve had the opportunity to study several religions or systems of worship. In all cases, they offer some reward to the believer. Some give hope that believer’s lives will be better for being an adherent. Ours does not. I’m particularly interested in the Buddhist teachings, particularly the four noble truths and the eight- fold path. In fact Buddhism says that you’ll find an end to suffering if you adopt the eight-fold path.”

Whilst Adlai was talking, Zechariah stood up and watched an eagle float lazily over the barren landscape.

Ahhhh. To be like a bird and soar above life’s problems and dilemma’s. To be young again fired with the enthusiasm of youth. Perhaps I’m like our religion – too old to accept change.

“Yes,” he said out loud. “I have studied Buddhist teachings and am impressed with the message they convey. I also commend you on your knowledge of Ibrahim’s teachings.” This was said with a hint of laughter. But then he turned serious and asked,

“Have you considered that by stirring up trouble with the people, you may incur Rome’s displeasure? Rome desires nothing less than keep the peace and collect their taxes.”

“You are asking whether I’m prepared to lay down my own life to deliver my message.”

Still standing, Zechariah looked down on Adlai and said in a soft voice. “Yes. Yes I am.”

“Well,” Adlai replied. “We shall just have to wait and see. Won’t we?”

 

But lofty thoughts and noble sentiments were not the only issues occupying Adlai’s mind. More and more, Maria ben Abir occupied his conscious thoughts. Even in the dark of night, her face would appear to him and he would let himself surrender to pleasurable fantasies. On the first night back in Qumran, he lay awake drifting in and out of consciousness.

She’s so like Somi in many ways and yet in many ways she is different. I would love to gently take that beautiful face in my hands and kiss her softly. I can imagine the taste of her mouth and the softness of her tongue. Just to smell the fragrance of her hair and let my tongue trace the outline of her neck.

When can I see her again? It has to be soon. The longer the wait, the greater the longing. Does she have any regard for me? We only met for a short time so it would be too much to hope she might feel about me the way I feel about her. I want to know more about her. What she likes. What she dislikes.

And alone in my room I cannot disguise the stirring in my loins as I hold her image in my mind. I can only seek relief from the pain.

 

APPENDIX NOTES:

89: Chief Roman Tax collector

90: About 760 m or 2500 ft

91: Hours

CAST OF CHARACTERS:

. . . In PALESTINE

 

Abir ben Micah >>> A leader of the Pharisees living in Sepphoris

Adlai ben Yusuf >>> Son of Yusuf and Mariam, brother to Tavi and Magdella

Annus >>> Formerly Chief Priest and Father-in-Law to Caiaphas

Brother Zechariah >>> Leader of the ‘Essenes’ based on Qumran

Cephas >>> Son of Idra and cousin to Tavi and Adlai

Herod Antipas >>> Son of Herod the Great and ruler of the Provence of Israel

Idra >>> Father of Cephas and Uncle to Adlai and Tavi

Jessica >>> senior housekeeper to Idra ben Micah

Joseph Caiaphas >>> Chief Priest of the temple and son-in-law to Annus

Judah the Galilean >>> Founder of the Sicarii with Zadok

Magdella >>> Sister to Tavi and Adlai

Maria bat Idra >>> Daughter of Abir ben Micah

Mariam >>> Wife of Yusuf

Martha >>> Wife of Idra

Rufus Julius Antonius >>> Roman centurion

Ruth bat Idra>>> Youngest daughter of Abir and sister to Maria

Simon ben Judah>>> Son of Judah the Galilean who had been killed

Tavi >>> Elder brother to Adlai and Magdella

Valerius Gratis >>> Governor of Judea until 26CE

Varus >>> Optio or second in command to Rufus Yusuf ben Toshe >>> Husband to Mariam

Zacchaeus >>> Chief Roman Tax Collector residing in Jericho

 

Thanx for reading
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..