Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 2,444 Words
  • 1,013 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 14. Chapter 14

 

Hanukkah! 92 This being the time of year given over to handing out presents to children and so it was also the time to visit family to celebrate the occasion. But this year Adlai had an ulterior reason to go home – Nazareth being so close to Sepphoris – and Maria.

He was concerned at how Yusuf had deteriorated. Still able to work at his trade but he was more stooped and his full head of hair was now streaked with grey.

And Mariam. Her tongue seemed to sharpen with age. She scolded Yusuf continually, but deep down Adlai knew she still loved him. How lonely and painful had been past Hanukkah for his parents. With Adlai in Hindustan and Tavi – who knows where – and the memory of little Magdella being an open wound that would never heal.

When the subject of Magdella came up Adlai was able to say that her death had been avenged by Tavi. The punishment was equal to the crime and that seemed to ease the pain for Mariam.

“And what do you hear from your brother?” enquired Yusuf. “We . . . err . . . get visits from him from time to time. But he never says very much. I fear he’s hiding things from me. Things to do with his activities.”

They were out of earshot of Mariam, so Yusuf decided to be frank with his younger son.

“I know he’s joined the Zealots and has to do terrible things. He still believes he’s responsible for Magdella’s death and I fear he carries that guilt heavily. Do you have any more information? Please tell me the truth - I can bear it.”

Adlai thought for a moment about the last time he’d seen Tavi. Should he tell his abba? Could Yusuf handle the awful truth about Tavi? Adlai decided to tell only a part of what he’d seen at the temple. He minimized Tavi’s role in the attack that now the whole of Israel was talking about.

And he retold what he knew about the retribution handed out to Rufus Antonius. Then to change the subject he told his abba about Maria.

* * * 

 

Hanukkah! As a child, Maria loved the festive occasion with the presents and symbolic lighting of candles. There was always happiness in the home even though Maria’s emma was no longer with them. But as far as the children were concerned, Jessica played the role of mother.

Now Maria and Ruth were sitting in the garden and Ruth was combing Maria’s long, lustrous hair.

“Oh, I hope I grow up to be as beautiful as you, Maria. I know our abba is very proud of you even though at times he can become a little cross.”

“Don’t be silly Ruthie. You’re very young and when you reach my age you’ll be very beautiful - even more than I.”

“Anyway I don’t know if I want to grow up beautiful if it creates unhappiness. When you think people aren’t watching, you’ve been looking desolate lately. What’s the problem? Can I help?”

Maria thought about Ruth’s question. Yes, she was feeling miserable and perhaps it may help to share her gloom with her younger sister.

“It’s that young man Brother Zechariah introduced us to recently. I can’t get him out of my mind, Ruthie. I can’t. I think about him during the day and dream about him at night. He . . . . He has such a powerful presence. I feel as if he’s a . . . magnet, drawing me to him and there’s nothing I can do about it. Yes that’s it – I feel helpless.”

“Wow big sister! Have you ever felt like this before? What about that fearsome boy . . . err. . Tavi?”

“No, definitely not! I liked Tavi as company . . . as a friend. But never anything more. No – definitely nothing more!”

“What is the boy’s name?” asked Ruth. “What do you know about him?”

“I know very little. No – In fact, I really don’t know anything about him except that our abba and Brother Zechariah seem to hold him in high regard. I’m desperate to know more about him. Oh Ruthie! – What if I never see him again. I’ve just got to see him again. Do you think I’m being silly?”

“I don’t know big sister – I’m too young, but why don’t you ask abba to invite . . . you didn’t tell me his name. . .”

“Oh . . . sorry. Adlai.”

“. . . Adlai, to visit. Where does he live?”

“As far as I know he’s living with Brother Zechariah at Qumran.” “Does that mean he’s never going to marry? Does it? If he’s one of those, then you’re worrying over nothing. No point pinning for a boy who doesn’t like women. Even I know that. Before you destroy yourself, you’d better find out if he’s available. Yuk! Going all your life without sex is unthinkable.”

Maria was about to admonish Ruth for knowing about sex when a servant interrupted. It was Jessica,

“Maria child, there’s a young man come to see you. He came unexpected and I told him it’s highly unusual to just call when you’re not expecting a visit. His name is Adlai ben Yusuf. What shall I tell him? Should I just send him away and come back . . . .”

“No! Please don’t send him away. Don’t you dare! I’ll see him now. Shoo Ruthie - I want to talk with him privately.”

“Alright, alright. Just don’t make a fool of yourself. And find out if he likes women.”

But Maria’s heart was pounding so loud she didn’t want to chance talking.

Then Jessica showed Adlai into the garden. His eyes feasted on Maria as she sat on a bench with her long dark hair arranged around her shoulders. There was a hint of annoyance on her face, so he hastened to apologize,

“I’m sorry for calling in unexpected. I’m visiting my parents during Hanukkah, so being in the neighborhood, I thought I would chance calling on you. If I’ve come at an awkward time please tell me.”

“No, of course not . . . err . . . Adlai. It’s very good of you to call in. I know my abba will be pleased. Shall I call him?”

“No. No, not yet. Ummm . . . Actually, I came to see you. Even though our last meeting was very short, I felt I had to get to know you better . . . ummm

. . . Can we talk – just you and . . .err . . . I?”

 

I can feel his clear blue eyes looking right into me. I can’t play at being remote much longer. I’m losing control. I just want him to put his arms around me and kiss me.

 

“Well, of course. But I don’t know why you’re interested in talking with me. I thought all the men at Qumran only enjoyed male company.”

 

That absolutely did not come out right. He’ll be offended and perhaps get angry. Oh, I’m such a brainless fool. I’ve ruined any relationship before it ever started.

 

Instead Adlai just laughed.

“No, not all of the men folk at Qumran abstain from marriage. It is optional. Wives are allowed. And I do prefer female company to males. Very much so.”

She’s so fragile! If I were to take her in my arms, I’d crush her. Yes, she is beautiful and yes, she has a very desirable figure. But she appeals to me in a much deeper way. As well as being a lover, I want her to be my friend.

 

And so the two young people talked, questioned, explored, and just enjoyed each other’s company. A little restrained at first, as they talked they both relaxed and were able to speak openly and frankly. Soon they were laughing and teasing each other. Something very deep stirred within Adlai and he soon longed to hold her in his arms and kiss those taunting lips.

Then, breaking the spell, Abir strolled into the garden and embracing Adlai admonished him,

“Adlai, Adlai. You should have told me about your visit. I fear we have neglected our duty as hosts.” This with a glance of mild displeasure towards Maria.

“Please child, go and arrange some refreshments for our young friend. Go on. Now!”

Adlai watched her go wistfully. Then was brought out of his youthful musings by Abir,

“I talked with Brother Zechariah the other day and he told me about your plans. Adlai, what you propose is very commendable but exceedingly risky. For you I mean. You may incur the wrath of Rome but certainly will suffer the ire and indeed opposition of the Chief Rabbi. Do you understand this?”

“I’ve faced many dangers in my short life. I’m no stranger to peril. To answer your question. I’m not advocating a change to the amount Rome collects as Taxes, just how the taxes are collected. As to innovating our religion – I’ll let the people decide who is right.”

Abir looked on Adlai thoughtfully. We couldn’t ask for a better candidate. He’s motivated and his message will be popular. And it reflects our political aspirations. Brother Zechariah is convinced as am I. Simon I’m sure will also agree.

“You’re a young man Adlai – have you thought about your future? How will you make a living? I know this is crass of me to ask this of you but you must have given some thought to your future – to your trade.”

“I can always return to my father’s trade of carpentry but, for the moment, I’ll just see where my crusade will take me.”

“Hmmm. Perhaps I should tell you where I could help with your crusade, as you say. I have a great deal of influence in the political affairs of this country and so I can be very supportive of you in the Grand Sanhedrin. Remember the Chief Priest is appointed by Rome on our recommendation, so if all goes well you could become Chief Rabbi.”

When Adlai went to interrupt Abir admonished,

“No, please hear me out. The best way to change any institution is from within. The Romans have long recognized that disturbances and civil war are not fruitful and have made major changes to their government from within their Senate.”

“Are you saying I should become a rabbi and yield to many of the strictures I abhor? I could not do that. No definitely not. It would make a mockery of all that I will advocate to the people.”

“Well yes, being honest with you. Yes, I would like to see you become a rabbi just to qualify to take a seat on the council. Think Adlai. Think! If we can muster the numbers on the Sanhedrin and have you installed eventually as Chief Rabbi then we can exercise that power for the good and make changes for the benefit of our people that are long overdue . . . Hmmm?

After a long moment of silence, Adlai stood and walked around in a small circle. Eventually,

“You are very persuasive Abir. Perhaps you should preach - not me”

“And a right holy mess I’d make of it. No Adlai, it must be you. You have the mark of greatness upon you. If the people support you, as I believe they will, you could become the first Chief Rabbi with popular appeal. I have a strong feeling that you’ll be making great changes and your name will be recognized alongside heroes such as David and Judah Maccabaeus.

Both men became quiet. Adlai resumed his seat and reflected on what Abir had said and proposed. There was something grandly dangerous in what Abir was proposing. It was a clear path – an objective that he’d not considered before.

 

Am I equal to the task? Or will I just be laughed at as a clown. I know I’m not great but to have the chance to make a better life for all our people is a challenge that I cannot refuse. No, I’ll do it.

 

Then he at looked Abir directly and with a stern voice,

“I’ll not countenance violence of any kind, Abir. You know of course that Brother Zechariah and I witnessed the massacre in the Temple grounds. I’ll not forget that sight. It makes a mockery of my peaceful approach if violence were to be committed in my name or the name of the cause. I’ll simply not have it.”

“You have my word Adlai. I too want no part of violence. The massacre was not done as part of any ongoing strategy – it was Sicarii who instituted that awful event without any authority and I can assure you that they have been castigated. As you say, violence is not the way to achieve change. From my experience bloodshed only leads to more bloodshed, and then to an escalation of the problem that gets completely out of hand. No. We will not resort to bloodshed! Ever!”

“It is gratifying to hear you say that Abir. I abhor bloodshed.” Abir rose up and embraced Adlai. Looking him in the eye, he said,

“Well, Adlai it seems you’re now free to begin your . . . how would you call your mission? Are you preaching or giving sermons? What is the basis of your crusade? It would help to understand.”

“I’m not sure Abir; not sure. I don’t even know how I’ll begin to talk to our people. As I go amongst them I’ll just let the message I carry develop.” And then Adlai stopped and facing Abir said, with some uncertainty,

“May I ask one personal thing?” Seeing Abir nod he continued,

“I’ve come to admire your daughter Maria. In fact, I believe I’m falling in love with her. Do I have your permission to see more of her? Properly chaperoned of course.”

“With my blessing Adlai. With all my blessing. Were you to become my son-in-law, I would be delighted.

And at that moment, Maria came bringing a tray of food and drink. Abir excused himself to leave Adlai and Maria together. Sometimes great love develops slowly and sometimes it just happens in a moment.

Adlai and Maria fell deeply in love at the start of their relationship. Maria was sure of her feelings. Even with little exposure to the male sex, she knew instinctively that Adlai was her man. She knew that her life and his life were entwined together

Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..