Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 886 Words
  • 1,051 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 15. Chapter 15

A short chapter

CHAPTER 16

Interlude 27CE – 28CE

 

Standing outside the local Synagogue in Sepphoris, Adlai began his quest. This seemed a logical place to begin as he had the enthusiastic support of Abir ben Micah. Following the dialogue he had with Zechariah in the desert he talked about the meaning of love, the power of forgiveness, and the cruelty of taxes imposed by Rome and the Temple.

At first attendances were small and some indeed hostile. Out of fear of retaliation, people shunned his gatherings because it seemed Adlai was taking on the Roman Empire and the Temple priests. It was an understandable concern for people long used to being unable to express themselves freely. The years of captivity in Aegypt and Babylon had quashed any yearning to voice their grievances. Or, at least they lived in fear of doing so.

But, as days progressed and people saw that no punitive action was taken, they began to attend his meetings. Slowly at first, they began to gather around the synagogue when it became known that Adlai was about to speak. Most Rabbis’ tried to discourage attendance but, as Adlai was outside the Synagogue itself, they could do very little. Amazingly, several Rabbis’ took Adlai aside and privately encouraged him in his zeal.

But there were detractors. There were many detractors. In Jericho, the home of the chief tax collector Zacchaeus, a voice called out from the crowd,

“Rabbi, what foolishness is this? You fill the people with empty hope. We all know that Rome will never change its tax gathering nor will the Temple priests reduce the Temple tax. Why do you inflame the people with empty speechifying?”

“You ask a good question friend. Tell me, is there any part of what I’ve said not true?”

Seeing a nod of agreement on the questioners face Adlai continued,

“What is wrong with talking about matters that beguile us? I’m not advocating revolt from Rome or depriving the Temple from necessary income. Such an action would only result in bloodshed which, to me, is repugnant.”

He fixed his eyes on the questioner and explained,

“All I’m doing, at my own peril, is to talk about grievances that have beguiled our citizens for a long, long time. But I have no power to implement change -only you, our people have that power. I say to you my friend, if more and more people come out to listen, then the very numbers attending will send a message to the authorities, be they Gentiles or Temple priests.”

And soon numbers attending began to grow. Once he’d tapped the well of discontent, people attended his meetings in increasing numbers. Scuffles did break out at some meetings between listeners who wanted to hear Adlai speak and detractors who considered his message foolish. But most meetings were peaceful.

He travelled throughout Judea, and then went back up to Galilee. At Tiberius, he was loudly welcomed and even though there was no support by the authorities, the people came to meet him enthusiastically.

And he did not travel alone. Cautiously, several of the younger novices at Qumran came to join as fear of retaliation receded. But he was overjoyed when Cephas came offering his support. They were a happy group. Whenever they visited a town, they would be made welcome by the community. Nor were they challenged by the authorities who seemed at first to regard Adlai as a passing phenomenon. Mostly local Rabbi’s withheld any adverse remarks as they could see that Adlai’s message was having wide acceptance.

And then there was Maria. So deeply in love were the two people that Abir gave his consent to their betrothal. This was quickly followed by marriage as Maria insisted on following Adlai on his quest. Mariam was ecstatic. At long last, she would have the grandchildren she wanted and fostered on Maria the same annoying mothering she would have given to Magdella.

But because there was no official reaction to Adlai, it didn’t mean that his mission went unnoticed. Far from it. Both Caiaphas and Annas viewed the growing popularity with alarm. At some stage, they would have to deal with it.

But people were listening to Adlai. The most vexing subject was his views on forgiveness and he tried to explain himself.

“When you're hurt by someone you love and trust, you might become angry, sad or confused. If you dwell on hurtful events or situations, grudges filled with resentment, vengeance and hostility can take root. If you allow negative feelings to crowd out positive feelings, you might find yourself swallowed up by your own bitterness or sense of injustice.

Forgiveness doesn't mean that you deny the other person's responsibility for hurting you, and it doesn't minimize or justify the wrong. You can forgive the person without excusing the act. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that helps you go on with life. And it is Yahweh’s wish that we get on with our lives.”

And so this groundswell of popular support grew steadily into a popular movement that completely surpassed Adlai’s expectations. Within a short period, Adlai became the most talked about person in the whole of Palestine. And adding to his satisfaction was the news that Maria was pregnant.

But the course of mankind’s progress is oft diverted by events that cannot be foreseen.

Thanx for reading
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..