Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 7,506 Words
  • 3,827 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 17. Chapter 17

From market place to village square, like an all-consuming forest fire the news of Adlai’s arrest spread rapidly. It seemed the whole Jewish nation was outraged. His was the voice of freedom, the voice of reason, and the voice of hope. Led by the Zealots and Pharisees the people started to fight back – with civil disobedience.

Plans were put in place for supplies to Roman garrisons to arrive late, or not at all. Wines were to be spoiled with vinegar, statues and official buildings defaced. Scribes feigned illness. Roman roads, so essential for the movement of supplies and troops – dug up. Tax collectors were afraid to venture out and small bands of Zealots roamed the countryside looking for unguarded soldiers.

Throughout Judea and Israel, the focus came to be on the trial and punishment of Adlai ben Yusuf.

Having obtained a donkey, Cephas and Maria arrived in Nazareth later that same night. Mariam was distraught but with Maria to fuss over, she became rational. When Cephas could see that Maria was settled and in safe hands, he took Yusuf aside. Yusuf spoke first.

“I don’t understand, you tell me it was a safe house, but how then was it compromised?”

“I don’t know uncle, I really don’t know. Simon assured me that the location was only known to a few trusted people. I haven’t had a chance to talk to him so I’ll leave early on the morrow to speak with him. I know where he should be but if there is a traitor then perhaps Simon will move elsewhere.”

“Yes, I’m sure he will. I mean that would be the safest thing to do. If I could offer a suggestion, why don’t you go to your abba in Sepphoris and let Simon – or Tavi - contact you?”

“Hmmmm . . . yes, I’m sure you’re right. There isn’t a lot I can do now except to see that Maria’s safe. But I hate just waiting around.”

“Where do you think they’ve taken Adlai?”

“Oh . . . undoubtedly to Jerusalem – to the Temple prison. I assume he’ll be tried by the Grand Sanhedrin. At least that’s my hope ‘cause we have friends on the council.”

There was silence as the two men considered the ramifications of a trial. Then Yusuf spoke – almost to himself, with a sigh,

“I must speak with Tavi, because his wild nature may come in handy this time. I don’t want any punitive action but there must be something Tavi can do to help his brother. Surely?

“I don’t know where he is uncle. Neither does Simon. Tavi’s been a law unto himself of late and we can’t contact him. But I promise, as soon as I hear from him or know of his whereabouts, I’ll let you know.”

Yusuf was silent for a moment and seemed to stare at something in the distance.

“We must go to Jerusalem on the morrow if that’s where they’ve taken Adlai. Only, of course, if Maria’s able to travel. I suspect she’ll want to be near Adlai regardless.”

Cephas nodded in silent agreement and then added, “Do you need any help for the women?”

“No – but thank you for the offer. I can borrow two mules for the journey. But it would be appreciated if Simon could arrange for a safe residence in Jerusalem. We should be there in two days time.”

“Well, nothing will happen for at least three days as it will take at least that for the Grand Sanhedrin to convene.”

* * * 

 

It was towards evening when Annas called on his son-in- law Caiaphas. There was no mistaking the glee written all over the old man’s face. But there was also no mistaking the pall that seemed to hover over the city of Jerusalem. But Annas seemed ignorant of any menace, so happy he was with the news of Adlai’s capture.

Caiaphas remarked as his father-in-law entered the ornate study–

“I see by the look of malicious glee on your face that benYusuf’s capture sits well with you.”

“As it should also with you. Now we can nip this silliness in the bud and, at the same time, show Rome what loyal subjects we are. But we have to move fast. There are rumours about that we’re going to be subject to a campaign of civil disobedience. This young man has certainly stirred up a nest of vipers.”

“Oh . . . I don’t think he should get all the credit. We have enemies . . . important enemies and I’m sure they’re using ben Yusuf for their own sinister purposes. We have to remain vigilant. Yes, I’ve heard talk of civil disobedience also. I’d say our problems will not end by executing ben Yusuf.”

“Hmmmm . . . Yes, I think you’re right. But the fact he was betrayed by someone close to him suggests that not everybody thinks this young man is the new Messiah. He wasn’t captured – he was betrayed.”

Caiaphas looked at his father-in-law with astonishment.

“How did you find that out? I’ve only just received the intelligence report giving details of the betrayal!”

With an amused canny look, Annas just smiled.

* * * 

 

He had been pushed, punched, and rough handled all the way to Jerusalem. Now Adlai sat alone in a small cell under heavy guard by Temple police. There was no opportunity for escape, nor did Adlai have the mental and physical strength to resist. He’d been in shock following his dawn arrest and events just seemed a blur. Neither had he given any thought as to how he’d been captured, for all he could feel now was a numbness of spirit. No – not true. He just felt empty!

A plate of rough gruel had been given to him but he had no appetite. When night came and with it quietness, thoughts ran unbidden through his brain.

Now my world has become four walls. Four walls and no windows. And it’s dark and I’m alone and frightened, truly frightened. If only Tavi was here with me now. If only you could hear me brother, what I need now is your strength. I believe they’re going to kill me Tavi and I don’t want to die. Not just yet. I want to see my child born and lie with my wife on cold winter nights. Yahweh! Please make me brave. Please help me though this ordeal so at least I can look brave. I’m terrified of being a coward. Would that my Emma was here now, to hold me in her arms and tell me that it’s all right. I feel so alone – so abandoned. All I ever tried to do was teach people that there is a better way. That’s not a crime – is it? I don’t know, because nothing makes sense anymore! What will the morrow bring?

* * * 

 

All the color had drained from Simon’s face as he digested the news as told by the young Sicarii now standing before him. Feelings of disbelief and disgust raged through him. The young man shifted his feet nervously afraid of Simon’s reaction. Simon could taste bile rising up and he made an effort to control his physical reaction to the news.

“Are you sure . . . ahh . . .?”

“Ummm . . . Jacob . . . Aluf 100.”

“Yes . . . Jacob. Are you sure?”

 

When the young Sicarii nodded miserably Simon, in a hollow voice, said,

“I can see by your face that this news is as unpleasant to you as it is to me, your Aluf. Surely, this is just campfire banter. If it is then I’ll punish those involved.”

“No Aluf. He was drunk and boasting about his deed. But we all knew it wasn’t just the wine talking because he often rambled on about his brother and the way he’d been betrayed. I’ve been appointed to ask you to banish him. We won’t follow him anymore. He’s gone too far now. We can’t follow a man who’s betrayed his own brother!”

“Nor will you. As your Aluf Jacob, I’ve seen much bloodshed but this is not something I’ve ever had to deal with.”

After a pause, and with a note of sadness, Simon ordered,

“Go now, arrest Tavi ben Yusuf and bring him before me – soonest.” After Jacob left, Simon sat alone trying to reconcile respect for Tavi as a warrior with disgust for him as a person.

At least that solves the problem of the security breach.

* * * 

 

Yusuf, escorting Mariam and Maria, reached Jerusalem after two days of travelling. As it was on the eve of Passover, the city was crowded with pilgrims preparing for this, the most holiest of days. They were guided to a safe house by a Zealot who was able to bring Yusuf up to date with Adlai’s whereabouts. The young man – Aaron – informed Yusuf that Adlai was still being held in the Temple prison and the Grand Sanhedrin was scheduled to meet the next day.

“I must see my son,” cried Mariam. “And he must see his wife. He needs all our love and care. Eiiiivehh! How he must be lonely and frightened. Please, can we see him?”

Aaron was very uncomfortable dealing with emotional females and didn’t know how to respond. All he could say was,

“I don’t think so respected Emma, but I’ll ask Aluf Simon if it can be arranged.” Then taking Yusuf aside out of hearing, he confided,

“They mean to kill him Sir! He’ll not get a fair trial, as he’s become a scapegoat for the unrest throughout the land. Pilate wants him dead so he can tell the Emperor he’s got the situation under control. Apparently, Pilate is on his way here from Casuarina. Aluf Simon will be with you soon and he’ll explain more fully. I’m sorry! Really sorry Sir . . . Your son Adlai, is an inspiration to us all. We will all grieve his passing. He is well loved. Well loved.”

“Thank you Aaron. Those are very kind thoughts. Do you have any news of the whereabouts of my eldest son Tavi?”

A little abruptly, Aaron answered, “No sir – I do not”.

* * * 

Since the ugly scene with Simon where he admitted betraying his brother, Tavi had taken refuge in alehouses where he stayed drunk but remarkably sober. As forcefully as he could, Simon had vented his disgust and revulsion for what Tavi had done. In short order he had him stripped of any weapons and banished him. Not only was he no longer a Sicarii but he was cast off from the entire Zealot cause. So Tavi was no longer a warrior, a leader, a brother, a friend, and presumably – a son. He was a completely empty human being.

But instead of feeling shame and remorse, Tavi continued to dwell on his betrayal and dismissal, as if the world had turned against him and treated him unjustly.

So the hours went by and he drank himself into a catatonic stupor. Such was his pain.

And that was how Cephas eventually found him.

* * * 

 

During his time in the cell, Adlai had been treated harshly, particularly when the guards found out that he was the brother of the murderer Tavi ben Yusuf. Most had lost friends in the massacre so they vented their anger on Adlai. He’d been punched, kicked, and abused so that his face and body were covered with bruises. He bled from many wounds.

But somehow, the physical abuse had strengthened his mental resolve and he now prepared to meet his destiny less fearfully. In a sense, the cruelty had focused his mind on the coming ordeal.

Was it the third day? He couldn’t be sure. But early that morning he was told to prepare himself for trial. Given a little water and cloth, he managed to remove most of the evidence of abuse. Then around mid-morning, he was escorted out of the cell and into the Chamber of Cut Stones.

The Grand Council had assembled with Caiaphas, being ‘Nasi’ 101 of the court sitting on the extreme right with Annas alongside him. The court formed a semi-circle of all 71 members so that each member could see each other, the accused, and any witnesses called.

There was silence as Adlai entered but some gasps were heard when it became obvious he’d been mistreated. A strange solemn quiet descended on the council. All eyes were on Adlai.

 

He looks so composed (thought Abir) Even though he must be aware of his fate he doesn’t betray any sign of fear. Would that I face my demise with such courage.

 

“Are you Adlai ben Yusuf, son of Yusuf ben Toshe?” This from Caiaphas.

“I am.”

“You are brought before this court charged with Blasphemy which, as you know, is a capital offense. Do you understand the charge against you?”

“No. I do not!” (forcefully) . . . and then affixing Caiaphas with a challenging stare,

“Tell me how I have blasphemed. In what way have I Blasphemed?”

There was a rustle of movement accompanied by a low murmur from the assemblage.

“Let me put to you how the term ‘Blasphemy’ is defined.” Reading from a small scroll, Caiaphas pronounced in plain words,

“Being contemptuous of Yahweh or claiming to be God, and being irreverent in regard to anything considered inviolable or sacrosanct.”

Looking up Caiaphas asked of Adlai, “Are you the Messiah?”

“No I’m not! I have never called myself Messiah. That is outrageous!”

“We have witnesses to say you have represented yourself as the Messiah. Do you not admit that people are calling you the Messiah?”

“It is true that I’ve been asked if I’m the Messiah and on every occasion I have denied strongly that I’m anything more than a simple person trying to give help to people. No – I’m not the Messiah! I resent your question!”

“Resent all you will, but people are calling you the Messiah and, by your silent acquiescence, you are implying that you are the Messiah.” Before Adlai could respond, Caiaphas moved on.

“We have witnesses to say that you regard the laws as laid down in the Torah are too rigid and do not provide succor to our people.” And then looking up from the scroll, said reasonably,

“Is this not true? Is this not a proper representation of your teachings?”

“No. It is not a fair interpretation but basically yes, I do say that the laws as laid down in the Torah should be less rigid.”

“Ahh . . . so you are irreverent in regard to the Torah which is considered to be inviolable or sacrosanct.”

Adlai allowed a small smile to himself at the clumsy attempt by Caiaphas to trap him. In a stern and confidant (which he certainly didn’t feel) voice he replied,

“All I have said is that the Laws, as written down in the Torah, are subject to oral interpretation, and should be changed to provide more relief for our people. This is not new. In fact it is the strong belief of many here that oral interpretation of the Torah must be allowed.”

Once again, there was a louder murmur and nodding of heads to signify assent. Abir caught Adlai’s eye and smiled his encouragement. Caiaphas suddenly realized that his prosecution was not going well. So then,

“Do you deny that you are inciting our citizens to revolt over paying taxes?”

“What has that got to do with the charge of Blasphemy?” Once again, there was a loud murmur and nodding of heads, which surprisingly included several Sadducees who were expected to be sympathetic to Caiaphas.

“Just answer my question. You seem to forget who’s on trial here.”

“I don’t mind answering your question. But I fail to understand how this relates to the charge of Blasphemy. Have you finished questioning me on the charge?”

Caiaphas, clearly angry, confronted Adlai again,

“Why are you inciting our people to rebel over paying their taxes?”

“I object to your use of the term ‘rebel’. I only ask that the way taxes are paid be changed. We all know that tax collectors make a handsome living out of our people collecting Rome’s taxes.”

Like talking to a child, Caiaphas reasoned,

“Surely you understand that we cannot alter Rome’s taxes. They are set by the Senate in Rome and cannot be changed. We pay these taxes to Rome to keep the peace.”

“Yes, we must pay rightful taxes to Rome but why do we have to pay additional taxes to tax collectors to keep them in lavish lifestyles. I’m surprised that the Chief Priest doesn’t feel angry at paying unnecessary taxes . . . Or are you exempt from all taxes?”

Suddenly all eyes were on Caiaphas who looked distinctly uncomfortable. This was something that no one had considered. A low murmur swiftly became a babble of voices. Even the scribes taking notes of proceedings looked up from their tablets. Annas leaned over and whispered angrily in Caiaphas’ ear,

“Answer him you fool. Do it quickly! Don’t you see the Mamzer 102 is making a target out of you? Answer him or I will!”

“Of course no one is exempt from paying taxes. No one! Not even tax collectors are exempt from their responsibility.” A good response but the damage had been done. Trying to regain the initiative, Caiaphas attacked,

“You are advocating removal of the Temple tax which is an ancient requirement of all Jews laid down by Moses. Does that not fall under the definition of Blasphemy? Moses considered it sacrosanct in that all Jews are required to contribute to the Temple.”

“No – I do regard the Temple tax as inviolate, but originally the tax was only levied every five years at the census. You and your predecessors have corrupted this so that now the tax is collected every year.”

“Yes, and when Moses made that law the temple was a tent! They all lived in tents. When Solomon built the temple, it was deemed necessary to raise the Temple tax to pay for necessary maintenance. Now you want to deny the Temple essential funds for proper maintenance. It is a sacred duty and to deny it would be blasphemous.”

“What a hypocrite you are! You know, as most others do, that the proceeds of the tax go firstly to maintain Temple priests, such as yourself, in luxury and only any balance left over is applied to Temple upkeep – including paying Temple police.”

Now Adlai became angry and raised his voice.

“And our people know this! The whole nation knows this! You know this! You are a parasite financially denying our poor of money that should be used for buying food and educating our youngsters. Shame on you! Shame! You . . .”

Annas leaned over and whispered harshly through clenched teeth,

“Why are you letting him attack us?” Replying Caiaphas whispered,

“Because I want it to be known that ben Yusuf had every opportunity to defend himself. Don’t worry Annas – we have the numbers to convict him. It’s a formality.” Adlai was continuing,

“. . . are offending Yahweh by oppressing his people. It’s you who should be on trial here - not me.”

“Enough!” Interjected Annas. “I’ve had enough of this. Let’s put the issue to a vote!”

Immediately, Abir ben Micah rose and demanded,

“It is customary, before any vote is taken, for the accused to address the council. I demand that ben Yusuf heard.”

Caiaphas nodded ungraciously allowing Adlai to begin,

“Our people have endured much pain in our history. First by enslavement in Aegypt and then as prisoners of the Babylonians and now living under the rule of Rome. For a brief moment under the Maccabees, we became a free nation but it was all too short. Even the holy and festive days remember only our traumatic past.

As a young man I was able to travel to distant lands, and observe how their religious observances relate to day - to- day living. Other beliefs are so different to ours. Most foreign religions are focused on the individual and not the entire nation.

These creeds teach that there is hope to the lowest individual to have a happy and satisfactory life. There is great stress on loving one another and practicing forgiveness. After reading about these practices and talking to learned sages, I came away with the desire to help our people to look beyond our teachings and willingly, to start loving and forgiving.

These are not new ideas but they are simply not stressed enough in our religion. All I have sought to do then is ask our citizens to love one another, try and forgive transgressions. I will die satisfied that I have tried to demonstrate my beliefs.

This has been the focus of my address to people. Whether I’ll be judged, a success is for others to determine. And I have never, ever blasphemed Yahweh. No – never!”

There was a silence that was very hard to interpret. Eventually Annas whispered to Caiaphas,

“Get the role call started now!”

So Caiaphas ordered the scribes to start registering votes. According to custom Caiaphas was the first to vote and while the scribes were going about recording votes there was a low hum of conversation. During this Annas asked of his son-in-law,

“As soon as a guilty vote is recorded, do you plan to hand him over immediately to Pilate?”

“As the Governor probably has agents amongst the scribes, it would seem prudent to expedite his arrest by Rome as soon as possible.”

With a sigh Annas complained, “Caiaphas, how you do like to mangle your words– why not just respond ‘immediately’. Frankly, I want to see the last of this man. He’s . . .”

Whilst Annas was talking Caiaphas was watching the scribes, as they seemed confused at the vote tally. The senior scribe was seen to order a recount.

“. . . been a problem that should have been resolved long ago. Look what he’s done. First stirring up the people almost to the point of revolt and now about to initiate civil disobedience. Then . . .”

Annas was cut short when Caiaphas called to the chief scribe,

“Have you finished your count?”

“Yes, we have,” came the tentative reply.

“Well advance into the centre and read out the tally.”

Reading from a parchment on which the votes were tallied, he stated, On the charge of Blasphemy levied against Adlai ben Yusuf the votes are

- for guilty 36 and acquittal 35.”

There began a low murmur of approval amongst the Sadducees which was cut short when Caiaphas demanded,

“Are you sure? Have you checked the count twice? There is no mistake?”

“No rabbi – there is no mistake. 36 guilty and 35 not guilty.”

Slowly the impact of the vote began to sink in. Under Sanhedrin rules, in a capital charge, a two-vote majority is required to impose a guilty verdict. Even then, the judgment is suspended for one day to allow the Sanhedrin members to think on their vote. They reconvene the next day and a new vote is taken prior to sentencing.

But whereas a guilty vote can be changed to ‘not guilty’ a ‘not guilty’ vote cannot be changed to guilty.

So with Adlai being found guilty by only one vote – he was acquitted! Annas starred at Caiaphas who was utterly speechless.

It simply meant that some of the Sadducees had voted for acquittal – a direct affront to the Chief Priest. The noise level increased, as there were accusations levied, insults made and in several instances, it almost came to physical assault. Arguments spilt out into the Temple court, so the result of the vote was known by all. And no one noticed one of the scribes sneak away quietly.

Standing still in the centre surrounded by Temple guards, Adlai was thoroughly confused. He’d heard the vote called and was not surprised at the guilty verdict. But why was Abir so happy? And it was shameful how the council members treated with each other. The whole chamber was in an uproar and the Chief Priest still sat in his chair with a confused look on his face. One of the guards asked a question of the senior guard but he simply shrugged as if to signify ‘I don’t know’.

Eventually, Abir came to Adlai and explained what had happened.

“If nothing else Adlai it is a great moral victory. What you have achieved is unbelievable. When I entered the chamber this morning I believed that, whatever latitude you may be given, you would be found guilty by force of numbers. But now! Now you have made many a cold heart warm again and the Chief Priest has been given a slap in the face. You should be proud of yourself.”

Whilst they were talking the senior guard was called over to Caiaphas and now he came back and said, almost apologetically,

“I’ve orders to return you to your cell, immediately.”

* * *

 

Pilate was beginning his midday meal when he received the news. He stared at his head steward in grim silence. Then in a voice full of exasperation he commanded,

“Arrest this Adlai ben Yusuf immediately and have him transferred to the city jail. Have the Chief priest Caiaphas attend me at once.”

And then said, almost to himself,

“How do these Jews manage to complicate what surely is a very simple matter.”

* * *

 

The news of Adlai’s unexpected acquittal spread quickly throughout the city. At the house where Yusuf and Mariam were staying, it was brought to them by a jubilant Cephas. It was simply unbelievable. Maria and Mariam hugged each other and each shed tears of joy. Even Yusuf, who bore his manhood stoically, had moist eyes. Moving outside with Cephas, Yusuf inquired,

“What happened Cephas? I thought the court was stacked against him. This is incredible. Does it mean that Caiaphas is losing support amongst the Sadducees?”

“I believe there are a couple of factors working for us. I know there is resentment that Annas has too much influence in Caiaphas’ decisions. They see him as a weak Chief Priest, and in a way, the vote reflects this. But we must give Adlai credit. Abir says he made an impressive defense of the charge against him and won the battle over Caiaphas’ prosecution. You – we all – should be proud of him.”

Calling to Mariam to bring some wine he Yusuf suggested,

“Perhaps we can allow ourselves a small celebration. I feel as if this day my son has made history.”

They were silent while Mariam brought them refreshments. Whilst Mariam served the wine Yusuf had a faraway look on his face. When they were alone again he said,

“And what’s happened to Tavi? Where is he? I suspect you’re not telling me everything Cephas. I’m no fool. We haven’t heard from Tavi for some time now and you are avoiding the mention of his name. I need to know the truth! Has he done something dishonorable?”

 

How can I tell this principled man the truth? Is he not enduring enough pain now? Is the truth necessary at a time like this? No – I’ll not add to my uncles’ pain!

 

“I don’t believe Tavi has ever adjusted to being rejected by Maria and then her subsequent betrothal and marriage to Adlai. He’s been wounded; like any animal has taken himself away to heal his wounds. I’m sure he’ll return when he’s come to terms with the matter.”

 

Why did Cephas avoid my question?

 

“Yes, he told me he was very keen on a girl but didn’t say it was Maria until just before her marriage to Adlai. Events were moving too quickly. Maria assures me that she never gave Tavi cause to believe that their friendship would ever progress to marriage. And I believe her. Sadly, Tavi could never handle any kind of rebuke. As a child he would sulk for days whenever I had to chastise him.”

“Yes uncle, I remember times when the slightest setback would enrage Tavi and then cause him to withdraw within himself. But I still loved him. Take away all his bluster and bravado and he’s a good person. Anyway, how is Maria? Is she so distressed that the child could be in danger?”

 

I need to end this conversation before Yusuf endures anymore hurt. I don’t want to be the person to tell him that Tavi betrayed Adlai. No! - at this time it’s best to avoid the truth.

 

“No. But it’s been distressing on all of us. Now that he’s been acquitted, life can resume. When do you think we’ll see him? Why has he not been freed now?”

“I don’t know uncle. I don’t really know. This is a very unusual state of affairs. Politics are influencing proceedings so it’s hard to read the situation properly.” And hesitantly he said, perhaps a little too quickly,

“If you don’t mind there’s something I need to talk to Maria about.” Cephas left leaving Yusuf was alone with his thoughts.

 

Something’s not right! . . . No, something’s very wrong. Cephas is being evasive and I get the feeling that Maria, Adlai, and Tavi are linked in some way

. . . some horrible way. I must stop my thoughts going down this path. . . But . . . did Tavi betray his own brother? Would Tavi do that? Is he so demented that he would place his own brother in harm’s way? Over a girl! What a dreadful dilemma for any father to be in! As a father, have I failed with Tavi?

 

Yusuf could not get rid of his terrible suspicions. He sat alone and immobile while around him the birds and other chattered and chirped.

 

How can I deal with my appalling suspicions if I don’t know the truth? If Cephas is sheltering me, he’s not doing me any favors - even though his reasons are honorable. I must know the truth! At first chance, I’ll confront my nephew.

 

He was jolted out of his black mood by a loud scream from indoors. Dropping his wine cup on the ground, he raced inside to see Simon confronting a hysterical Mariam and Cephas supporting a sobbing Maria. It was a bizarre tabloid for what should have been a happy house.

“What’s happened?” he asked of Simon.

“The Romans have arrested Adlai and transferred him from the Temple jail to the city jail. He is to appear before Pilate this evening. It looks very bad for Adlai. I have to tell you sir, to prepare you and your family for the worst.”

* * *

 

Pilate was furious. His eyes had narrowed to mere slits and his reddened face reflected his innermost feelings. His rage was building and threatening to consume him. Before him stood Caiaphas – without Annas – and alarmed by the vision of outrage that sat before him. He hadn’t been invited to sit but stood, like a naughty schoolboy before his teacher and expecting some punitive punishment. Pilate surprisingly started in a low voice,

“You let this upstart peasant outwit you so that by the Council’s arcane rules he was found ‘not guilty’. I can’t believe it!”

“It was a shock Pilate . . .”

“You may address me as ‘Governor’. Is that clear?”

“Err . . . Governor. The criminal is very clever. Either that or our members are very naive. It has placed me in an awkward position . . .”

Pilate exploded. “You’ve been placed in an awkward position! You! All you’ve got to worry about is being a bit on the nose with your Sadducee rabbi cronies. Look at the position I’m now in – that you’ve put me in. If I go ahead and execute this peasant, you Jews will damn me for executing an innocent man. If I don’t . . . If I don’t stop this rebellion, the Emperor will have my head. And, my dear Caiaphas I like my head being attached to my body.” Then fixing the Chief Priest with a penetrating stare, said,

“I’m damned if I do . . . and damned if I don’t!”

By now, Caiaphas was scared. Pilate was like a trapped animal and in this mood was extremely dangerous.

“Your problems are insignificant compared to the onerous position you and your colleagues have placed me in. To the world, it would seem that I’m executing an innocent man. Maybe I am. Maybe I am. But I have to make an example to you Jews that rebellion against Rome – including civil disobedience – will not be tolerated.”

Pilate seemed to deflate and then said, softly,

“I have issued an order for ben Yusuf’s crucifixion at noon tomorrow. I’m sure history will treat me badly, but I have no choice.” He sighed and then looking at Caiaphas’ pathetic figure said,

“When this is over Caiaphas on the morrow, I suggest you resign and let your colleagues elect someone who is more sympathetic to Rome’s needs. Make no mistake; I’ll be reporting to the Emperor that I’ve lost all confidence in you. It would be wise for you to resign before the Emperor gets my report. Now - get out of my sight! Go now!”

* * *

 

Back at their house, Cephas and Simon were trying to console Maria and Mariam. Yusuf looked on desolately and felt hopeless. For his son to appear before Pilate was a formality - the verdict would be death by crucifixion. Although by now the news had spread around the city and while there were cries of outrage, Adlai’s fate was sealed. Cephas came and placed his arm around Yusuf.

“Are you alright uncle?” he asked pointlessly. That this beloved and decent old man had to endure such pain was a tragedy in itself. With Adlai about to be executed and Tavi lost forever, his whole family was being taken from him. It was cruel, and yet he carried himself with dignity.

Over in a corner Maria and Mariam were trying to console each other. It was a scene of heart-breaking tragedy.

Yusuf gently disentangled himself from Cephas and placed both his hands on Cephas’ shoulders,

“Is there nothing that can be done? Have you talked with Tavi? Please nephew, if your cousin has done some terrible wrong he may, at least, be able to do something to help his brother. Perhaps some tincture to ease his suffering. I’ve heard it is often done for the condemned. Please Cephas will you go find Tavi for me. We need him now.”

With tears welling up Yusuf turned away to continue his private grieving. He joined Maria and Mariam and the three people closest to Adlai joined in a heartbreaking tabloid of grief. Simon, who had overheard Yusuf nodded to Cephas and said,

“Go find him Cephas. His abba and emma need him now.”

* * *

 

Cephas knew where to start looking for Tavi and after visiting several taverns, came across him at a tavern near the fish gate. He was hard to recognize at first. The ravages of continual inebriation were engraved on his face. He was slumped over a bench and a wine cup had spilled its contents over the tabletop. When Cephas walked over to his cousin, the tavern keeper called,

“Do me a favor and get that drunken wretch home – or to wherever he calls home. He stinks, and his drunken ramblings are turning away my customers.”

Cephas nodded that he understood and sat across the bench from Tavi. (Phew! – He really did smell. Cephas almost gagged.)

“Tavi, Tavi – c’mon wake up. It’s me Cephas.” Getting no response Cephas shook Tavi violently and almost yelling, “Tavi, Tavi wake up! Wake up Tavi! I’ve got to get you out of here. C’mon Tavi, help me!”

Slowly Tavi raised his disheveled head and regarded his cousin through bloodshot eyes.

“It’s alright cousin – I’m awake. I’m awake and . . . and . . . feeling sorry for myself.”

“You’re feeling sorry for yourself? You? It’s Adlai, your brother who facing execution on the morrow and all you can say is that you’re feeling sorry for yourself. I don’t believe it!”

“In fact, I was trying to sober up to go see Simon. I think there is something we can do but it’ll require Simon’s help. I’m still the best warrior to have served our cause, so I can’t imagine he’d refuse my help. Do you know where Simon is?”

“Well I last saw him at your parents’ house but he should be easy to find.” Then, as an afterthought, “Are you talking about drugging Adlai and so avoid the horror of execution?”

“Yes – something like that. But we’ll need help from the Zealots to reach him. When I’ve talked with Simon and put the plan in motion, I’ll visit with my parents.”

“Well. Your Abba suggested something like that. All he wants now is for Adlai be spared the terror and pain of crucifixion.”

“Hmmm . . . he’s a tough one isn’t he? Do me a favor and ask the landlord to throw a bucket of cold water over me. I must stink!”

* * *

 

During the transfer from the Temple to the fortress of Antonius, Adlai had been treated roughly. He’d been chained and prodded along the way to the fortress’ jail. It was there that he was informed of his fate. He would die by being crucified on the morrow. Choosing to crucify Adlai, Pilate sought revenge on the cruel death of Zacchaeus and he would make such a spectacle that all the people of Palestine would be left in no doubt as to who was in charge.

Rome was in charge – not priests, not Sadducees, not Pharisees, and definitely not Zealots!

Having prepared himself for death when facing the Sanhedrin, Adlai was able to face his demise now with less terror. But he was still very frightened. He tried not to think of the pain as nails were driven into his body. An old centurion had enjoyed explaining to him how he would be scourged early in the morning so that blood would be flowing as they nailed him to the crossbeam.

But first his hands and feet would be tied to the apparatus so that, when the nails went in the pain wouldn’t cause him to flay around.

“You’ll die soon enough lad, so make sure to put on a pretty spectacle for us.” He laughed. After that, a meal was brought for him, but he had no appetite. They continued to taunt him with threats and descriptions of what was in store for him on the morrow. Strangely, it was the younger centurions who were the most vicious. Adlai surmised that it was a show put on for the benefit of the older soldiers to show them how tough the younger – and less senior – warriors were.

Left alone at last Adlai tried to find sense in his predicament.

 

Why am I to die? Why me? I’m terribly afraid but not sure what I’m afraid of. Is it the fear of pain, or the fear of just dying or perhaps, the fear of being a coward? I must die with dignity! Must I die with dignity? Who says that our last breaths be so admired that they will say of me ‘he died courageously’. There is no courage when facing death. Only an acceptance of the inevitable.

Why has fate been so cruel! I will never see the daughter I have back in Hindustan or the child conceived with my beautiful Maria. Oh, Maria, Maria my sweet love. Whilst I long to see your face please, please don’t come to watch my end. Were I to see your face in the crowd I surely would give in to cowardice. I want you to remember me as your husband lying beside you on winter nights – not the condemned wretch who is going to be pinned to a block of wood.

How fear multiplies when all is quiet. I must spend my last hours warding off the fear that threatens to engulf me. Tavi! If only I had you by my side – to share these empty final hours of my life.

 

And then the guard changed as tomorrow became today.

A soft voice broke into his reverie and disturbed the catatonic trance he’d fallen into.

“Rabbi, Rabbi. Are you awake?”

Adlai was sitting in a fetal position against a wall of the cell and, looking up, saw a young centurion addressing him. “I’m sorry Rabbi for intruding into your thoughts. I was hoping you ‘d like some company.”

“Thank you. Yes I would”, was Adlai’s dispirited reply."But do you not chance a rebuke by talking to me?”

“I could care less! I want to talk with you before . . . before . . .”

“That’s alright. You mean before they kill me. Yes?”

“Yes. . . . I’m angry at what they’re doing to you Rabbi. I attended some of your meetings, firstly as a guard but then as a bystander. Your words have had a great impact on me . . .”

The young man struggled to get control of his emotions. Adlai could see that he was a soul in distress.

“. . . I lost both my parents when I was just a babe and then left to be raised by the state. As soon as I was old enough I joined the Roman army in the belief I could at last have some semblance of family. . . . Spurii! 103 They are a cruel mean bunch. I’m going to get out as soon as I can – unless I’m killed.”

“Where do you come from . . . err?”

“Umm. . . Demetris! My name is Demetris rabbi, and I come from Thrace.” After a moment he continued,

“I’ve been struggling with anger, grief and depression of the spirit it seems for most of my life. I’ve never really known happiness. And then when I heard you talk about forgiveness and love I realized that I should cast off all my negatives and restart my life. I started to understand that being bitter and hating was a poison that was killing me slowly. I’m sorry rabbi for burdening you with my problems.”

“No, no, no – please don’t be sorry. I should be thanking you. Here I sit in the last hours of my life wondering if it’s all been in vain. And then you come along and tell me that because of my teaching, you’re going to restart your life over. No! Demetris you’ve given me much more than I’ve ever given you. I can go to my end with a weight lifted from my soul.”

Moving over to Demetris, Adlai sat with him, side-by- side with only the prison bars separating them.

“Come Demetris tell me about your life. Have you ever been in love . . . ?”

And so they talked through the night until the mornings’ early hours - until the guard changed again, and Adlai’s torment began.

 

 

ANNEXURE NOTES

 

 

100: Duke or Chieftain

101: President

102: Bastard

103: bastards

104: Passover

105: Wooden crossbeam

106: Roman ‘Calvary’

107: About 1 kilometre

 

CAST OF CHARACTERS

 

 

Abir ben Micah >>> A leader of the Pharisees living in Sepphoris

Adlai ben Yusuf >>> Son of Yusuf and Mariam, brother to Tavi and Magdella

Annus >>> Formerly Chief Priest and Father-in-Law to Caiaphas

Brother Zechariah >>> Leader of the ‘Essenes’ based on Qumran

Cephas >>> Son of Idra and cousin to Tavi and Adlai

Herod Antipas >>> Son of Herod the Great and ruler of the Provence of Israel

Idra >>> Father of Cephas and Uncle to Adlai and Tavi

Jessica >>> senior housekeeper to Idra ben Micah

Joseph Caiaphas >>> Chief Priest of the temple and son-in-law to Annus

Judah the Galilean >>> Founder of the Sicarii with Zadok

Magdella >>> Sister to Tavi and Adlai

Maria bat Idra >>> Daughter of Abir ben Micah

Mariam >>> Wife of Yusuf

Martha >>> Wife of Idra

Rufus Julius Antonius >>> Roman centurion

Ruth bat Idra>>> Youngest daughter of Abir and sister to Maria

Simon ben Judah>>> Son of Judah the Galilean who had been killed

Tavi >>> Elder brother to Adlai and Magdella

Valerius Gratis >>> Governor of Judea until 26CE

Varus >>> Optio or second in command to Rufus

Yusuf ben Toshe >>> Husband to Mariam

Zacchaeus >>> Chief Roman Tax Collector residing

 

 

 

 

Thnx for reading
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..