Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 7,213 Words
  • 998 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 9. Chapter 9

Intrigue and love

Interlude 16CE – 22CE

 

In the year 16CE, the Emperor Tiberius was 56, but the Empire was not enjoying his second year as Emperor.

Following the death of Augustus in 14CE, he seems to have wished for the Senate and the state to simply act without him. His direct orders were rather vague, inspiring debate more on what he actually meant, than on passing his legislation. In his first few years, Tiberius seemed to have wanted the Senate to act on its own, rather than as a servant to his will as it had been under Augustus.

 

But in that same year a Roman army of 50,000 under Germanicus defeated the German war Chief Arminius and retrieved the lost eagle standards of Varus.

In the preceding year – 15CE – Valerius Gratis became Governor of Judea and continued to serve in that capacity until 26 CE.

Eleazar (16-17) of the House of Annas of the Sadducee Sect is appointed the High Priest of Jerusalem. Nationalistic (Zealot) Jews at this time consider the House of Annas as being in League with the Romans.

In 16CE, Julius Valerius became Governor of Aegypt and became one of the province’s longest serving governors staying in that post until 31CE.

This was the age of Germanicus who was born in 15BC of impeccable parentage - his grandmother being the empress Livia, and his grandfather being Mark Anthony. Germanicus became immensely popular among the citizens of Rome, who enthusiastically celebrated his military victories. He was also a favorite with Augustus, his great- uncle, who for some time considered him heir to the Empire. He is recorded to have been an excellent soldier and an inspired leader.

It was no surprise then that, as a rival to Tiberius, he was eventually poisoned on the orders of Tiberius. Had he been proclaimed Emperor following the death of Augustus, the Roman Empire would have taken a different course. As it was the poisoning of Germanicus had a long ranging affect on the Roman Empire.

 

The year 17CE heralded some important events. Firstly, a rather insignificant incident occurred that could have had a devastating effect on the whole empire. A roman deserter called Tacfarinas rallied his own tribe in Ethiopia to invade the Aegyptian province. This sent alarm throughout Rome as the city was entirely dependent on Aegyptian grain to feed the city populace.

The roman garrison in Aegypt was not battle-hardened so they were initially no match for the warrior Nubians. Fortunately, the invasion was eventually defeated but the Senate was alarmed at their vulnerability for Aegyptian grain.

Early in 17CE, a major earthquake totally destroyed the city of Sardis and laid waist the region, which is now eastern Turkey. The Senate appropriated huge sums of money to rebuild Sardis and the entire region in such amounts that other parts of the empire were stripped of funds.

Also in 17CE, Herod Antipas, in the emperors’ name, completed the building of the city of Tiberius on the Sea of Galilee. The peasants considered the new settlers a promiscuous rabble. Herod built them houses and new gifts of land likely at the expense of the local people.

The year 18CE opened with both the Emperor Tiberius and Germanicus becoming joint Consuls of the Roman Empire, a move that Tiberius judged to be a threat to his own position. Germanicus subsequently was sent to Syria where, it is said, Tiberius had him poisoned by the governor, Gnaeus Piso. And in India, a tribe of Indo- Parthians ousted the Indo-Scythians from their capital at Taxila.

Joseph Caiaphas (18-36CE) son in law of High Priest Annas of the Sadducee Judaism Sect is appointed High Priest of Jerusalem

Then in 19CE, Tiberius expelled all Aegyptians and Jews from Rome. This move inflamed the Aegyptian people and created concern over the grain deliveries, upon which Rome was dependant. It was done, it was said, to placate the people of Rome who were angry at the death of Germanicus.

 

After the death of Herod in 4 BCE, the citizens of Sepphoris revolted against Roman rule and seized the city. But then the Romans reconquered, burnt the city to the ground, and sold all the populace into slavery. When Herod Antipas became ruler, he rebuilt the city and made it his capital for the whole of Galilee Province. The rebuilt city was indeed beautiful with a network of colonnaded paved streets, markets, residential districts, bathhouses, theatres, and synagogues.

The reconstructed city stood atop a hill and had a commanding view of the surrounding countryside. It was ideal as an administrative centre. And because of the city’s history, it had a special affection for the Jewish people.

 

And upon this fertile ground, the seeds of discontent and disaster would find a thriving environment to grow and prosper.

* * * 

  

Tavi strolled warily down the colonnaded Decumanus Street in Sepphoris on the way to the house of Abir ben Micah. He was vigilant - keeping watch for any unusual or threatening movement. Behind him, the Zealot leader, Simon ben Judah, was also alert.

They had entered Sepphoris from Nazareth where they had stayed overnight with Yusuf and Mariam. The people of Nazareth were friendly to the Zealot cause and from there it was only an hour’s walk to Sepphoris.

When the prominent Pharisee Abir ben Micah, had proposed this meeting, Simon ben Judah was very reluctant to attend. But Abir had explained that the leader of the Essenes, Brother Zechariah would also be attending and the focus would be on the very future of the Jewish people. Unlike his father, Judah the Galilean, Simon was cautious. Unbeknown to the Pharisee, a band of Zealots was keeping careful watch on Sepphoris.

Tavi was selected to accompany Simon to the meeting. Now having survived 27 summers, Tavi had grown into a manhood molded by becoming an expert in the art of killing. He was the leader of the Sicarii 73 - Assassins. Even the bloody memories of that fateful morn, had been supplanted by more his own bloodthirsty acts of violence.

 

Tavi was not only a warrior, he was an accomplished killer - and he accentuated this by his appearance. His hair was worn long so that it flowed down around his shoulders. He also sported a trim beard that followed the contour of his jaw. He looked fierce. Even in his alertness, Tavi had to admire the colonnades that graced this thoroughfare. It was reported that Sepphoris was the most beautiful town in the whole of Galilee.

Being an administrative capital, government officials went hurriedly and importantly on their errands. In the throng of passers-by, Tavi and Simon went unnoticed

Approaching the Pharisee’s gate Tavi noticed a young man leaning languidly against the gatepost – a signal that all was secure.

On entering a courtyard through the front gate, they were escorted into the villa and received enthusiastically in the atrium by Abir ben Micah.

“Welcome. Welcome dear friends, to my humble home. Before we begin our business, please partake of my simple refreshments. Your journey must have been tiring.” Abir greeted his guests effusively. He was short with an open friendly face, sporting a full beard and moustache. And his receding hairline was now white and streaked with gray. His smile was both open and sincere.

 

“But first you must meet our honorable friend Brother Zechariah. I’m sure he is well known to you. Come – join us in the garden.”

 

By contrast, to Abir, the leader of the Essenes was a formidable person. A full beard framed a face that could only be described as powerful. It was his eyes. As they appraised you, they seemed to peer straight into your soul. This man would not tolerate foolishness and deceit. His was a commanding presence.

Greeting Simon with courtesy, he paused and affixed Tavi with a long penetrating stare.

“You are Sicarii?”

“I am Sicarii.” Acknowledged Tavi.

“Whilst applauding your ideals, I abhor your methods. Killing is against our most basic beliefs.”

“I too find no joy in killing. Only if it furthers our cause – eminence.” As Zechariah, growing angry, began to respond, Abir interrupted with, “Please. Please. We have important business before us. Please come and partake of our humble fare. Please. Let me call my daughter to serve us.” And with that he called,

“Maria. Maria! Come child and meet our honored guests.”

Even hardened males such as Simon and Zechariah could not help but gasp at the sheer beauty of Maria bat Abir as she entered the garden in response to her father’s invitation. She was indeed a beautiful woman.

Lustrous brown hair cascaded down around her shoulders and framed a face that was simply, stunning. It was soft, with clear brown eyes and a small pert nose that allowed space for her inviting but not overtly sensual lips. She wore no makeup and this accentuated her natural beauty. Adding to her charm, a small mole resided on her left cheek. This was in contrast to her satiny tan skin.

And she carried herself regally without losing any of her feminine charm.

Whilst the priest and Simon were impressed, the effect on Tavi was profound. He had known many women in his short life but had never known love – only lust. His thirst had been satiated many times with many women, of all races and color. He regarded women as chattels - almost slaves - who must succumb to his needs.

So the impact of Maria bat Abir on him was shattering. It was truly love at first sight. And following close behind was lust. Where in previous female encounters he became aggressive and forceful, now he simply lost the ability to speak. Gone was his self-confidence, assertiveness, and bluster. He was instantly in love, an emotion that was totally alien to him.

 

Aha my daughter, my beautiful daughter, as usual you have impressed my male guests with your beauty and charm. If only your mother were alive to look after you. I suspect I’m not up to the responsibility of raising such loveliness. And I don’t like the look on the sicarii’s face. He is not for you. No, not at all. Never. But I’ll have to watch him.

 

With an almost imperceptible sigh, Abir addressed Maria,

 

“Please have the servants bring wine and food for our illustrious guests.” And reluctantly, he added. “Perhaps Tavi ben Yusuf would like to accompany you inside. I’m sure you young people have much to talk about.”

Standing there love- struck, Tavi almost didn’t hear Abir’s invitation but when it sank in he snapped out of his stupor and fell in behind Maria as she headed unto the house. It was so comical that both Simon and Abir had to suppress a smile.

Then an uneasy silence descended on the three men now facing each other in the garden. It was Zechariah, who addressed Abir,

“As you called this meeting I’m sure you have a good valid reason. However, I’m curious to know why you have included Zealots in your invitation. No offense to you, Simon ben Judah.”

Simon did not respond and just stared coldly at the priest.

“There is a groundswell of anger at the stupid move by Tiberius to expel Jews from Rome. As a leading member of the Pharisees, I . . .”

“I’ve also heard that over 4,000 of our people were deported from Sicily,” interrupted Zechariah. “It seems too stupid a move for even an idiot like Tiberius to make.”

“I agree. And there is much hostility to his action. By allying themselves to Rome, the Sadducees 74 have also created a groundswell of anger against them. Now, I’m a member of the local Sanhedrin 75 and I also hold a seat on the Grand Sanhedrin 76. As such, I’m admirably positioned to be informed of events that . . .”

 

Again, he was interrupted by Zechariah, “Get on with it man. I did not . . .”

 

“Stop interrupting Rabbi,” urged an impatient Simon. “You’re wasting time. Let Abir finish what he’s saying. Be quiet – please.”

“Thank you Simon. As I was saying I’m made aware of events as they occur and so I’m admirably placed for the proposition I put to you.”

Abir paused to take a sip of wine. Simon also refreshed but Zechariah abstained. To gain impact Abir stood up and extended his palms outward.

“You’ll agree with me that the Pharisees 77 are more popular with our people than the Sadducees?” Seeing both Zechariah and Simon nod their agreement, he continued,

“Here in Judea we have two basic power structures that are emerging. On one hand are the Romans and Sadducees. On the other, we have the Pharisees, Zealots, and Essenes. Both these power structures are competing for the government if not the goodwill of our people. Whilst the Romans and Sadducees are organized, we – as I’ve described – are not.”

“We Essenes have never sought power. Ours is a godly cause . . .”

"Oh please Rabbi – shut up. Let Abir finish. I start to see where this is leading and I want to hear the whole proposition. And so should you. Stop these inane interruptions - please.”

 

Abir could see that Simon was getting angry and Zechariah predictably outraged. But he needed both of these men for what he had in mind.

 

Alas, it is going to be most difficult to join these two people into a common cause. I sense that Simon the Zealot is on side, so I’ll just have to work on the Essene. Why are religious persons so stubborn and unreasonable?

 

“My objective is to neutralize the Sadducees and force the Romans to treat solely with the only power structure that has the support of the people. I propose a grand alliance. We would look to you Simon and the Zealots to provide whatever military action as may be necessary. The Pharisees would control the political issues. And most importantly Brother Zechariah the Essenes would look after our religious well being.”

He paused to let the possibilities of his proposal be considered. Simon pondered,

 

For an outwardly jovial man this Abir ben Micah has a sharp mind. What he proposes makes ultimate sense. At least an alliance such as this will give our Zealot cause purpose. Now we’re only fighting skirmishes with no long-term goal in sight. With this coalition, we can become a respected part of the Jewish peoples’ cause. I’m for it. But let’s hear what the master of gloom and doom has to say.

 

Surprisingly, Zechariah sat with a thoughtful look on his face. Now he had something for consideration. Into an expectant silence he said,

“I understand the roles of Pharisees and Zealots in your plan but what do you want from us – the Essenes?” As Abir went to interrupt, he waved a hand to silence him. And continued,

“No, let me continue, please. We have never sought to gain influence in state matters, preferring to keep to our beliefs and ourselves. That will never change. It is our nature. Perhaps a seat on the Grand Sanhedrin? Maybe. But surely, our influence, and what we can bring to this table is minimal? We cannot change our beliefs and lifestyle. Surely you ask not that!”

“Brother Zechariah, you underestimate the respect in which the people of Judea and Israel hold you. Your religious beliefs are close to mine and, I’m sure I’m not speaking out of turn – the Zealots.” At this Abir turned to Simon with a question and Simon nodded his agreement.

“Well then, what do you want of me – us?”

“What we’re lacking is a way to get a message across to our people. We need to reach out and give our community hope and a fresh beginning. I cannot do this because the citizens would suspect my motives and it certainly cannot come from our Zealot friends. No, you the Essenes have the respect of all our people. We need a person from within your ranks who is willing to carry our message.” Sitting down he managed another sip of wine and continued,

“We need a person, a respected religious person, to go out amongst the people and spread a message of hope and deliverance. To reach the poor, the uneducated and the workers - whether they are in the field or working for masters. We want to put an end to divisions in our society. We want a society where the wealth is shared, not squirreled away to be available only to a select few.”

Simon leant forward with his elbows upon his knees and addressed Abir, “Yes. Yes, I see. I understand what you are saying. Someone to prepare the ground for political change in our entire country. But what of Antipas? He will not sit happily aside and let his power disintegrate. If you were he, would you not fight to retain power?”

“Of course. No, of course I wouldn’t agree to diminished authority. Nobody would. But if the power changes slowly – I’m talking here of a time frame of say, ten summers – we can ease Antipas into a titular role as head of the Jewish state. After that . . .”

“You’re digressing,” interrupted Zechariah. “Let’s get back to the role of this messenger - as you put it – what would be his function? What are you asking the Essenes to do?” Then as an afterthought hit him, “I hope you’re not talking about a Messiah?”

“No, no, no!” Abir rushed to counter Zechariah’s statement. “That would be blasphemy! No, we just need a genuine respectable person to reach out to people and, in a subtle way, carry a message of change, and hope for the future.”

Simon observed, “A simple but intelligent man. A man who has popular appeal.”

“And you would want him to emerge from the ranks of our Essene brothers?” This was said with just a hint of delicious anticipation. Zechariah was coming round.

 

Well, (thought Simon) the rabbi is becoming human. Isn’t it true that religious people don’t want power as such but crave influence? Rabbi Zechariah is now warming to the possibilities. Within his soul, he’s excited by the potential that Abir has outlined. But watch now as he presents a righteously indignant face outwardly to the proceedings.

 

And, as if on cue, Zechariah stood up and paced around, his face set in a thoughtful mode.

“Your plan has great appeal. We will need to discuss the matter further in some detail. But – I’m convinced. You have my blessing. I will have to go away to think on this further. Obviously, I don’t want to see our brotherhood drawn into an ugly military uprising.”

“A good point, Rabbi,” said Abir. Then, turning to address Simon, “We will have to be careful of your future military role and actions. I think you should limit yourself to guerrilla actions. I mean localized reprisals and such. Do you agree?”

“Of course. Anyway, we don’t have the resources for a full military campaign. We will continue to simply harass the Romans and any other people who we deem to be enemies of our people.”

A silence descended on the three people as they considered the overall strategy and their respective roles in the endeavor.

 

It is done. (Thought Abir) I’ll not pursue the matter any further. After all, it’s best to quit while you’re ahead.

 

But, to his chagrin, Rabbi Zechariah had one more arrow in his bow. “What of your Sicarii? We cannot and will not condone willful bloodshed. Your friend - he who accompanied you – does not strike me as one who takes orders readily. Can I have your assurance that he and his kind are kept under control?” Pausing now, he summoned up a full measure of righteous indignation,

“It would be painful to us if we became associated with killing. In fact, I would immediately withdraw my support. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes Rabbi, you have. I agree with you wholeheartedly. In fact, the Sicarii cannot exist without my support. I’ll keep them in line. But I have another plan. You’ve no doubt heard that the Nubian prince Tacfarinas is harassing Roman Aegypt with plans to fully invade the province? I intend to send about half our warriors to help him. I’ve made contact and Tacfarinas welcomes the help. I’m sure from a political viewpoints it will be a good move”

 

“Excellent!” said Abir. “I suggest we each give thought to how we can carry out our roles in detail and then meet in, say, one month’s time. At Qumran, Rabbi?”

* * * 

  

Tavi had never been more uncomfortable. He sat, ramrod straight, in a chair holding onto a cup of wine – his third cup. Never at a loss for words, he now struggled to make simple conversation. And he knew he sounded like an idiot. Confronted by this beautiful creature, his mind refused to function properly. He was in emotional pain.

Again the vision spoke. “It must be a great comfort to be able to visit your parents frequently. Tell me Tavi, do you have any siblings?”

“Umm, yes. Ahh . . . umm, I have a brother and, err . . . had a sister who wa . . . was killed by the Romans.”

“Oh how awful! How old was she when she was killed?”

 

Her voice is so soft and alluring. I could just sit and listen to her talk all day. And she has such a pretty mouth. And I love that little mole on her left cheek. It moves whenever she speaks or smiles. I’m destitute!

 

“Tavi . . . how old was your little sister when she was killed?”

“Sorry . . . Umm, she was nine.”

“Oh, that’s terrible! She was so young. It must have been very painful for you and your parents. Did you see what happened? Ahh . . . sorry, let me refill your cup.”

When she moved closer to refill his cup, Tavi could smell her femininity. It was a clean heady aroma with just a hint of scent. Jasmine? And the warmth of her proximity engulfed him. Whilst fully clothed, he sensed her alluring female body within. He wanted to reach out and just simply touch – but he could find no excuse.

 

My manhood has taken a mind and will of its own. I cannot stand up. This is terrible – down, down boy! Her movement and presence is overpowering me. But how can I arrange to see her again.

“Tavi! . . . did you see your sister get killed? What was her name?”

“Umm no. I was away with the Zealots before it occurred. No, I didn’t see what happened. I was told next day.”

“I’m really sorry. What was your sister’s name?”

“Magdella.”

“Ohh, such a pretty name. What about your brother? How old is he?"

“He was thirteen when Magdella was killed.”

“Do you see him often? Are you close?”

 

Why does she keep asking questions? I have to reply but I don’t want to talk. I’m making a fool of myself. Her eyes – they are so soft and alluring. Brown. They seem to dance with laughter. I suppose she’s amused by my clumsiness and is making fun of me. I wish I was in a fight somewhere putting my life on the line. Anywhere but here. And yet I don’t want to leave.

 

“Tavi . . . Are you and your brother close?”

“Umm, Err . . . in a way. But I haven’t seen him for a long time. He’s in Hindustan with our uncle.”

At that moment, Tavi was saved by the arrival of Simon and Abir.

“If you’re ready Tavi, we will away. Perhaps you could scout ahead to make sure it’s safe?”

Into the ensuing silence, Tavi took all his courage in his hands and asked of Maria,

“May I possibly call on you again? We could resume our conversation – properly chaperoned of course?”

Abir bathed his daughter with a look of displeasure. He was about to say no on Maria’s behalf, but that young lady, having a strong mind of her own, replied coquettishly,

“Of course Tavi. I would be honored. Please call on me any time you’re free.”

And all Abir could do was scowl his annoyance.

* * * 

 

Abir was furious. As she grew older, Maria had developed a trenchant for disobeying him with a single- mindedness that was close to outright disobedience. Now this. As soon as Tavi and Simon had departed, he turned on her,

“How dare you! How dare you disobey me! I’m your abba and you will abide by my counsel. This man . . .”

“And how dare you!” she blazed back. “How dare you presume to run my life! I have dutifully followed your tyrannical directives in the past but now I’m a grown woman and will do . . .”

“A grown woman? Eiveh! A grown woman indeed! At eighteen summers, all you have achieved is the ability to fall pregnant. You know nothing of the world. Nothing. You are but a child . . .”

Maria started to interrupt but Abir was not to be sidetracked.

“No! Don’t interrupt me! I have wanted to have this talk for some time now as I’ve had to suffer your increasing disobedience. You know nothing of the male sex. Without guidance, you’ll quickly fall pregnant and where will that take you? What will happen to you then? Disgrace? Shame? Dishonor certainly! Not only to you but also for all of us. Is that what you want?”

“Of course not!” she retorted. “You must think I’m a simpleton. Do you think so little of me that I cannot conduct myself appropriately? Do you? If you do then it doesn’t say much for my upbringing. Does it?”

In exasperation, Abir just stared at his daughter.

Oh yes, she was indeed beautiful. When she was angry, her mother had a way of pointing her chin and affixing him with a withering stare. And she has her mother’s deep brown eyes that I love.

Rather than confrontation, he decided on another approach.

“Do you know that this man is a killer? What future is there for you with such a man? He will break your heart and leave you without any remorse. He is a cold man – a killer.”

“Abba, Abba. I know this and I would certainly not entertain any desire for marriage with Tavi. Please, give me some credit for, at least, having some commonsense. I could only ever have a friendship with Tavi, so please don’t worry about me. I’m only angry because you seek to dominate my life and don’t understand that I’m an independent person. Abba, please have confidence in me. I won’t let you down.”

This was delivered as an entreaty with Maria bringing the full force of her lovely femininity to bear. Abir had lost – again.

“All right then,” he sighed. “Just make sure that you are never alone with him. I sense that Tavi can be very charming and hides the real killer within. Promise me!”

 

Eeiiyah! I find it so hard now that she has grown up. Why did my beautiful Sarah have to die in childbirth having our baby Ruth. Sarah, Sarah, I miss you. I don’t know how to control our Maria. She is growing so like you in every way. And I so miss you on those cold winter nights when the warmth of your comfort always sustained me. Sarah, please tell God that I’m not pleased with him. He needs a good talking to!

 

Maria, still incensed after the showdown with her father, stormed into the room she shared with her younger sister, Ruth.

 

Now that was a showdown I had to have. It wasn’t about Tavi. No, not at all. I like Tavi and I find his company exciting. But I’ll only ever be friends with him and I’m sure he understands that any deeper liaison is just impossible. Tavi is a man who’ll never marry but will console himself with loose women. No, I have no worries about Tavi. He knows the bounds of any relationship. But at least Abba understands that he cannot continue to control my life. Oh Emma, if only you were alive to help me, or should I say – both Abba and me.

 

“I heard it all. Oh Maria, you were so brave to stand up to abba like that. I could never say what you said. You were very brave.”

Maria, engrossed in her thoughts, did not hear her young sister at first, but soon snapped out of her solitary reflections and looked at her sister.

“Perhaps not brave, but foolhardy and wicked. Abba is just a man, trying to understand me. It was unfair to address him defiantly. He is our abba Ruth, and we must respect him. I’m not sorry I took him to task but I’m troubled that I should cause him any unhappiness".

“Well I’m glad you stood up to him. I can only hope that it’ll make it easier for me. But tell me, what is Tavi the assassin like? He is good looking isn’t he – and fierce.” This last came with a giggle.

Maria sat down on a chair and, without a word being said, Ruth began to comb her hair.

“He’s just a boy really. I don’t believe he’s as fierce as he wants people to believe. He wants to make you think he’s dangerous but deep inside I suspect he’s just a little boy.”

“A little boy with a big . . .”

“Stop there Ruthie! Stop right there. You shouldn’t entertain such thoughts let alone voice them! You’re a naughty child. Ouch! – that hurt!”

Undeterred and unchastened, Ruth sniggered on. “Will you go walking with him if he comes to visit? And I assume that I’ll be you chaperone?”

“With such naughty thoughts in your head, I doubt if you’ll make a suitable chaperone. I think abba will insist on one of the servants. Yes, I’ll see him if he calls. I’m intrigued by the boy. It’ll be a challenge to connect with the real Tavi.”

Ruth paused brushing her sister’s hair and said in a wistful voice. “I wish I had known our Emma. Sometimes I get very distressed to think that I caused her death. Tell me again, what was she like?”

Maria turned around and embraced her little sister and said “Oh Ruthie, don’t blame yourself, it wasn’t your fault. These things happen all the time and I’m just so glad to have you as my sister. I love you, Ruthie. Please don’t distress yourself. Please.” Seeing Ruth still upset Maria continued,

“Emma was a wonderfully soft person and very beautiful. We’re very lucky to have inherited her good looks and calm demeanor. Abba loved her very much, and still does. She was a good person – and shrewd.”

The two sisters fell silent for a moment, lost in their own thoughts. Then Ruth broke the silence with a question,

“Maria, I know how you feel about Tavi, but what if he thinks differently. What if he wants more than you’re prepared to give?”

* * * 

 

And that was the same question on Simon’s mind as they departed Sepphoris. He had witnessed the painfully obvious attraction that Tavi held for Maria, at first in the garden and then as they took their leave. Tavi, in Simon’s eyes, was totally unprepared for any serious encounter with the opposite sex. Let alone Maria bat Abir. Definitely not Maria bat Abir. Unable to constrain his thoughts any longer, he steered Tavi to a secluded part of Decumanus street and broached the subject.

“Tavi, tell me you’re not serious about any relationship with Maria bat Abir. Out with it! I need to know. Please.”

Suddenly on the defensive, Tavi shrank against a pillar and stammered, “I don’t know. I’ve only just met the girl and I’m not sure how I feel – Yet. Anyway, what business is it of yours?”

“It could endanger all that we’re striving to achieve. That’s what. Maria is a virtuous girl from a highly respected family, while you are a trained killer. We all live perilous lives – the comforts of domestic life are not for us. How could you settle down to a humble life with a wife and children? How Tavi? - How?”

Suddenly Tavi was both angry and confused. He pushed back against Simon.

“Lay off me! Back off! I may be a warrior, a killer as you say, but I’m still a human being and I’ve found a woman to love. Nobody can run my life - Nobody. Not you. Not Abir and not my own abba. No one can tell me who to love and who not to love. Understand?”

Suddenly Simon stopped being aggressive and looked at his friend with pity. He was right. No one could control his life and protect him from making disastrous decisions. He knew then he couldn’t and shouldn’t interfere.

“I’m sorry my friend, you’re right. I apologize for interfering with your personal life. Forgive me.” And then as they resumed walking Simon enquired tentatively,

“Do you feel something special for Maria? She is indeed an attractive woman but very different from the women you’ve had before. Tell me, as a friend, how do you feel about her?”

 

Tavi walked on a little way before responding. He was trying to answer Simon’s question as best he could.

“I don’t know. I’ve never had such an instantaneous reaction to any female as I had to Maria. Something deep within me stirred and I became suddenly aware feelings that I’ve never before experienced. Every time I looked at her, I could feel my heart pounding. And when she leaned close to refill my cup her nearness made me shamefully aroused.”

 

As they walked on together in silence, Simon was thinking, Mamzer! Shit! He has really been afflicted by this woman. And I can’t tell him how vital Abir ben Micah is to our cause. Not that it would matter. He’s actually falling in love with Maria. And there’s nothing, no nothing I can do about it. All I can do is keep a watch to see how this potential disaster develops. Poor Tavi – he is going to be hurt badly.

 

So the matter was dropped for the time being, for when they reached the outskirts of Sepphoris they went separate ways – Tavi to his parents and Simon to rejoin the Zealot band.

* * * 

 

Valerius Gratus, the Governor of Judea, sat back from his desk and, in deep thought, subconsciously rubbed his chin. Being a tall man, his long legs gently propelled the chair backwards. Valerius was the very image of a Roman aristocrat. A longish face with an almost scholarly brow. His forebears had defended the Republic time and time again both in oratory and action.

In private, Valerius yearned for the restoration of his beloved Republic but was careful to whom he spoke. Such a yearning, if known, would end his political career and perhaps place his life in jeopardy.

Now, on this warm July day, he picked up the dispatch that had come this morning and re-read the contents. Suddenly making up his mind, he called for his senior Legate Aeneas Cornelius Varro to join him.

After inviting Cornelius to sit Valerius picked up the dispatch before him.

“Without boring you with flowery statecraft prose, I have received from Gaius Valerius, the Governor of Aegypt a request to send soldiers to help put down the Nubian insurrection. There being no direct threat to our peace here, I’m disposed to agree with the request. Can we spare, say, a legion?”

Cornelius hesitated before answering. It was true that the province was peaceful and the loss of one legion would not be a problem.

“Yes Governor, I agree. We could commit one legion without difficulty. The Jews who call themselves Zealots can be annoying at times but they don’t pose, and never will, any threat to the peace. I can have the legion transshipped within 14 days.”

“Excellent! Excellent. I’ll reply to that effect. Let me know when you’re ready.” Then Valerius noticed that Cornelius was vainly trying to suppress a smile. Odd, he thought but then understood and, smiling himself, he wondered out loud,

“I assume then that the senior Tribune will be our good friend Rufus Julius Antonius?”

* * * 

 

Tavi had visited Maria twice before and it seemed that each time he visited, he fell more desperately in love. She was like a fragile blossom, beautiful to gaze upon but never to touch for fear of tarnishing her beauty. On this day, he was accompanying her to the forum to buy a present for Ruth’s birthday. Also accompanying was Jessica the senior housekeeper.

Tavi, by nature a blunt person, at the first opportunity, interrupted Maria’s inane chatter with,

“Your abba is not happy at my seeing you. It’s all he can do to acknowledge me. Am I such an ogre?” Jessica went to interrupt but Tavi silenced her with, “Please Tanta Jessica, I must be able to talk with the Lady Maria. Let us be – we’re not children.”

Maria was inspecting a finely crafted mirror and putting it down she turned towards Tavi astonished,

“Of course not. You are not an ogre. But it is not of you that my abba disproves. It is more your profession.”

At last, thought Tavi. At last, she has given me an opening to discuss matters other than idle female chatter.

“Come Maria; let us sit in the shade of those elm trees over there. You go over there and sit down while I buy some cool refreshments.” And looking at Jessica he continued. “For all of us.”

As Tavi departed, Jessica went to scold but Maria simply said.

“It is time we had a talk. Please leave us alone so we can have a private conversation.”

 

So when Tavi returned Jessica accepted the refreshment and moved away out of hearing but still keeping an eye out for any improprieties.

“You must know that I care for you very much Maria. No, if I’m to be honest – I love you. The first time I saw you I realized you were very special and with each time we’ve met my feelings have only grown stronger. My heart, my body, my very essence is yours to command. At some point, when it is appropriate, I’ll ask for you to marry me.”

“Oh Tavi, know that I care for you very much. I know that you’re not the evil person that people - including my abba – say of you. You're not! I’ve come to understand, and like, the real Tavi. You’re extremely good looking with a very comely form. But I have to be honest and say that right now I don’t love you enough for marriage. In time . . .”

 

“I understand and I don’t want to force you to betray your own feelings. I just had to be honest and tell you how I felt. I had to. I just couldn’t go on pretending and ignoring my feelings for you. I just wanted to be honest.”

 

“And I’m grateful and flattered. I don’t want to lose your friendship. I really look forward to meeting with you – ask Jessica.”

 

Eiveh! Ask that old crone? She hates me! Every time our eyes meet, I can see the hatred there. What she needs is a good fuck! But who would want to damage himself on that dried up old pussy!

 

“No I won’t do that. She’s a very kind and respectful person. I hold her in nothing but the highest regard. I don’t want to trouble her.”

They fell silent and Tavi was thinking,

 

That blue tunic does nothing to hide her gorgeous body. I love the way her breasts soar upwards almost flinging their nipples into my mouth. They are so firm and succulent. Tavi, Tavi. Lad, you’ve got to control yourself. This is not doing any good. But her eyes when she looks at me are so innocent and alluring. I just want to take her in my arms - to kiss deeply and feel her warm young body close to me. I’m scared that one day I’ll lose control and really stuff up!

 

“You know Tavi there is another problem that I have to talk about.”

“Ok, talk to me.”

Maria hesitated before saying softly, “What you do”.

“Oh.”

Silence.

Breaking the silence Maria said very intensely,

“I know that you kill people and are the leader of the Sicarii. I’m not a child and know that such activities are necessary at times. As a woman, I also know I shouldn’t be concerned about male activities. But I simply couldn’t allow any man into my bed when he has just killed another human being – no matter how justified it may be. I just couldn’t.”

The light dawned slowly on Tavi that Maria was saying a very large gap existed between them over his profession. Killing, to him, came naturally and when such actions were deemed necessary, he had a clear conscience. But others may not see it that way. And perhaps the problem was wider than just Maria. Perhaps no woman would wed a man whose sole profession was killing others. Perhaps he could never marry and sire children.

Without any warning Tavi was confronted with a basic crisis in his life and he didn’t know what to do. Fighting and killing being physical actions came easy to him – and he was good at his profession. Very good.

Just then, a little bird up in the tree began to chirp and roused Tavi out of his dark thoughts. All he could offer to Maria was,

“Perhaps the strength of my love for you will overcome and erase all your fears.”

Lame. But it was all he could think of responding.

 

Annexure Notes

 

73: Assassin. The name comes from the shape of the dagger they carried.

74: Wealthy citizens and priests

75: A town court of 23 members

76: Supreme court of Israel

77: Lower and middle classes

 

Characters:

 

Abir ben Micah Senior Pharisee

Simon ben Judah Leader of Zealots; boos of Tavi

Brother Zechariah Leader of Essenes

Sicarii Band of Assassins using a 'Sicari' knife

Maria bat Abir Daughter of Abir

Tavi ben Yusuf Brother of Adlai; leader of the Sicarii

Pharisees Jewish Political; Party, non secular

Magdella Sister of Adlai

Sarah Wife of Abir and mother of Maria

Ruth Sister of Maria

Valerius Gratus Roman Military Commander

Aeneas Cornelius Varro Second ion charge to Valarius Gratus

Rufus Julius Antonius Unpleasant minor Centurion

Jessica Chaperone to Maria and Tavi

Thanx for reading. Tavi has 'blue balls'
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..