Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 3,354 Words
  • 1,177 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Padrick - 4. Chapter 4

My apologies to anyone who's sqeemish

It was a beautiful sunny day, a perfect day for a BBQ. Bill Delaney (Senior Sergeant) lived in the suburb of Newtown and had a large back yard that easily allowed for a social gathering. On this occasion wives and partners were also included in the outing and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Earlier on they had gathered informally to share the latest intelligence and Paddy was congratulated on the info about the new member of Tilly's gang.

'I (from Bill Delaney) don't suppose you can tell us where your info comes from, eh Paddy? (Paddy shook no) Just so's you can vouch for it. We don't have time or resources to chase dead ends.'

'No Sarg, but I can assure you it's OK. If I told you who my snitch is then you'd appreciate that the source is good.'

'Well, at least you've come up with something; what are the rest of you doing? You've done well Paddy; c'mon, c'mon people, we need more input like Paddy's.'

'I'm (from Mary Gordon) a little confused Paddy; why would Tilly hire a gunman when she knows that guns are illegal. She's always been a careful person keeping to the fringes of the law; why would she now place herself at risk?'

'I (responding) dunno Mary; it seems a little out of character I agree. But remember crims like to give themselves labels such as 'the slasher' or 'the choirboy' or 'the greaser'. Perhaps this kid just likes the nickname 'the gunman'; who knows.'

With that they drifted into little groups; Paddy and Giles found a seat beneath a gum tree to quietly sip their beers.

'Ya (sipping his beer) done well Paddy, it's good to have some intelligence coming in. I know the Sarg's impressed.'

'Early days yet; hey it's good to chat with you mate. Seems we don't catch up as often as we used to. You're me best friend and I miss having a yarn occasionally. Remember when we was kids, we were inseparable.'

'Yeah, those were the days, eh; long time ago. You know, I never did thank your folks for taking me in on school holidays. Fact is I'd rather stay with you than go home to Dubbo during the short breaks. When me parents put me into Marist Brothers in Manly as a boarder, I thought it was the end of the world for me. Your friendship meant a lot.'

'Oh, you don't have to say thanks; we were just glad to have you stay . . . (pause) remember our footy days?'

'How can I forget; geeze you were fast Paddy. I reckon with your speed on the wing and my calling the plays as half back, we virtually won the comp for the school.'

'Yeah, I miss it even now. We were a good team weren’t we? I mean the footy team and you and me as best friends. I had some dark moments growing up, but you just being there helped me through some toughies.' (Pause, as each man dealt with memories.)

'I know ya did Paddy. (Lengthy pause; Giles took a long swig before continuing) I don't want ya to take offence mate but I've had some things on me mind; I need to clear the air, so to speak. (Paddy frowned) I . . . I, I've always known that you don't like women . . . ., no don't interrupt; this is something I've wanted to say but the time was never right. We've both had a few beers so I reckon we should be honest with each other; so here goes. I know you have feelings for me mate and that don't bother me; what does trouble me is that I can never return your feelings and make you happy. . . . ., no let me say my piece; you know me well enough that I've only got yer best interests at heart. Christ Paddy, you're me brother, and I reckon brothers should be straight with each other. Just . . . .'

'Sorry but please let me say something. Where did this come from? Have I done something to upset you? It's true that I'll never settle down like you and Linda with kids an' all, but if you think I might molest . . .'

'Shut the fuck up! I didn't say anything like that. I know you too well. Anyway, if you were into shielas, and I had you playing with me daughter I wouldn't think twice about you doing someth'n bad. No, no, no . . . I'm just worried about you. What's gonna happen to you as you get older?'

'Dunno; I mean who knows what the future will be? (Long pause; Giles gave Paddy a concerned look) Every waking moment I live dangerously; weren't so long ago that a guy was hanged for sodomy. Just be glad you don't have to live like this mate; just enjoy your family and don't worry about me. You should be grateful that Linda's such a great girl.'

'Yeah (emptying his beer), I guess; but with every marriage there's a price to pay'

What the hell does he mean by that?

'Things are OK . . . I mean between you and Linda?

'There are moments but . . . . , hey, let's not go there; I'm more concerned about you. I don't know how or what you do to relieve yer sex drives . . . but just be careful, OK. If you have any problems talk to me first and I'll try to fix it'

'Thanks mate . . . ; dunno about you but I need another beer.'

 

***

Driving home from the BBQ, Giles kept glancing over at his wife Linda, who had anger written all over her features; the silence in the car was thunderous. Unable to stand it any longer he asked,

'OK what is it this time? What have I done to bring this foul mood on? Sometimes Linda, I just don't understand you.'

'Don't bullshit me; you know very well what's upset me.'

'NO, (exasperated) no I don't! What am I a mind reader now? I don't know what gets into your pretty head; your mood swings are really pissing me off. You could've tried to be a bit more pleasant, if only to keep up appearances; but what do you care eh. Those were my work mates today and they'll certainly have questions about our marriage in general and you in particular.'

Silence,

'Well for Christs sake say something!'

'OK, did you enjoy your little snuggly up with your boyfriend Paddy?'

'What (staring aggressively) the fuck do you mean 'snuggle' and 'boyfriend'. Paddy's me best mate; has been for twenty odd years and he's my friend not boyfriend, one word. Shit! (Anger); if you start rumours like that, someone, somewhere, sometime will believe it. Anyway, what's got into you? You've never had any reason to believe that Paddy and I are anything more than friends. How about all the times he's been home playing with the kids and helping out. You never objected before until now. You're talking crap . . . dangerous crap!'

'Oh yeah, I'm talking crap am I? You should see the way he looks at you sometimes; he's got lust dripping out his eyes, and I'm supposed to sit back and enjoy it. (Loudly) HE'S a POOFTER, a QUEER and he should be thrown in jail and left there to rot. I don't want him around anymore!'

'Well, you can just piss off then; he's not only me best mate, he's also a damned good copper and if I want to ask him over I will; if you want to piss off then do it . . . .,please.'

'(Shouting) So that bloody creature is more important to you than me or the kids. He makes me want to vomit, he disgusts me; both of you disgust me. Just keep him away from the kids . . . , and by the way, sleep on the couch, I don't want you near me OK.'

'OH for Christ sake woman!'

 

***

When Paddy woke up next morning he couldn't help but think about his conversation with Giles.

He's right of course; I'll have to be careful about my sex adventures. It would be a disaster if I was found out . . . a bloody disaster. The police force is probably the most conservative institution in the state and they won't abide poofs. (Sigh) I reckon I'm safe with Ken but I'll have to stop any further involvement with Billy. But if I do, what's the kid gonna do; go back to sleazy toilet blocks and bushland? It's a hell of a risk; at some stage he's gonna be caught and bashed . . . and probably killed. No, I can't have that on me conscience. Better check the warehouse t'see if there are any messages from the lad.

Geeze Giles looked great yesterday. . , (sigh) if only . . .

 

***

The phone call had left Emilee mystified but excited and aroused. The unknown caller asked if she would tryst with a wealthy client in one of Sydney's top class hotels, offering a large fee for her services. The client was well known and the caller demanded her utmost discretion; this, of course she gave her pledge willingly. Whatever questions or doubts she had were swept away in the excitement of becoming a high priced call girl. The appointment was for tonight and she needed to prepare herself with visits to a hairdresser, pedicurist and shopping for a new slinky dress. One thing for certain, she was not going to tell Katie about the job; it was time she started to branch out and earn a little money for herself.

Now, dressed alluringly in a designer off-the-shoulder red dress, which showed her ample bosom, she caressed her hair for the thousandth time and knocked on the door to suite 782 of this well-known hotel. It was opened by an attractive young man who carefully carried out a full body check to ensure she was not carrying any weapons; as he felt around her tits he gave an approving leer. When he was finished, he nodded to the middle aged paunchy man sitting expectantly on a settee.

'Come (panting) here (patting a spot beside him) lovely girl and let me enjoy your beauty. Why don't you tease me by taking off all your clothes except your underwear; the aroma of a young woman always drives me crazy.'

'Ummm sir, before I do you must pay me; that's the usual custom and then I'm free to service you in any way you like.'

'Of course, of course; Nathan will you give this delightful creature her money, please.'

Emilee watched in fascination as the man called Nathan counted out $100 pounds[1] in notes. This was more money than she'd earn in six months with Kate Leigh.

After Nathan passed the money to her she placed it in her purse and then started to undress, slowly and seductively. The older man watched her hungrily and started to play with himself. When she was down to just panties, stockings and bra, he got up sporting a full erection and motioned her to follow him into the bedroom. Then her nightmare began.

She never saw Nathan come up behind her; suddenly he pulled her head back and gagged her. Next, while she silently screamed and struggled, he threw her onto the bed and knocked her unconscious. When she came to, she was bound hands and feet to the bedposts. Desperately, she tried to free herself but to no avail; she was fully restrained.

Then into her limited range of vision Nathan (if that was his name) approached her holding a razor that gleamed with sharpness. Horrified, panic engulfed her; she tried to scream, and then started to thrash against her bindings as she became crushed by the full horror of her situation. The force of her convulsions caused bleeding where the ligatures binding her wrists cut into her skin; but the worst was still to come.

'It's (sounding soft but menacing) not personal you know; you're just unlucky . . . I'll be quick.'

With that he sliced open her right cheek, cutting deep into the tissue; blood began to run down her face and then seep into the bedclothes. When he was satisfied, Nathan then repeated the cut on Emilee's left cheek.

The pain, the horror, the fear, the terror and the panic was too much for Emilee's conscious mind to deal with; she went into shock and then slipped into the abyss of oblivion. She never felt the cut to her throat.

***

Emilee's body was found next morning by the housekeeping staff. It was a horrible sight; her lifeless body lay bound to the bed amid a great pool of her blood which had slowly drained from her, rendering her skin deathly white. There were few clues left at the scene. It was obvious that she'd been sliced open by a razor but the instrument itself was nowhere to be scene. Emilee's eyes were staring and fixed as if rendering a silent scream.

Paddy and Giles were the first coppers to view the scene and even they were affected by the callousness and viciousness of the attack; the bed was covered in blood as was Emilee's body. Suddenly, Giles froze; a look of horror writ all over his handsome features. Paddy was stunned by the look on Giles's face.

'What's up mate? You look terrible; I know it’s a bad scene but you've seen worse . . . . what's going on?'

'I . . . I . . . I (choke) know her. I . . . knew her.'

'You knew her? C'mon Giles, how would you come to know a working girl . . . a prostitute? Have you been playing up? Oh shit, oh shit, what if Linda finds out; finds out you’ve been seeing a pro. She'll make your life wretched; C'mon, level with me.'

(long pause) No, no, nothing like that, no . . . I went to visit Kate Leigh to take a message that her mother was very ill. This . . . this pretty young girl was introduced to me . . ., just days ago; god look at her now.'

'You say, introduced; did you have sex with her, did you fuck her? You'd better tell me Giles so's I can work out how we deal with this.'

'No (angrily) no, of course I didn't; what do you take me for. Sure, it was offered but I refused. Mrs Leigh will confirm that . . . must confirm that. Oh shit what a mess.'

'Yeah, it sure is mate; you know how these things get twisted, especially by the press. Then there's Linda, she won't believe ya. Look, don't say nuthin'; let's just concentrate on finding the mongrel that did this. They musta left some evidence; crim's ain't that smart.'

But there was nothing to give any idea who killed the girl. The room booking was in a false name and the room itself had thoroughly been scoured of anything incriminating; a complete dead end.

 

***

. On the day that Emilee's body was discovered Paddy and Mary Gordon knocked tentatively on Kate Leigh's door; he was less concerned with carrying bad news as he was anxious to see if Kate Leigh mentioned Giles' recent visit.

Kate and Wally were drinking a late morning tea when another young girl announced that two coppers were outside wanting to talk.

'Yeah, show 'em in; by the way have you seen Emilee this morning?'

'No, I haven't Kate, I was wondering meself. Usually she's down 'ere early. Nope, I 'aven't seen her; why?'

'She was to come and model a dress I'm makin' for her. She asked me and I said I'd make time this mornin. Well, it's her loss; dunno what's goin' on with young’uns today. 'spect it's too much booze and fun like. Anyway, show the coppers in, wouldya.'

Paddy and Mary entered Kate's kitchen with almost dread. This was the first time Paddy had to deliver news of a death to anyone and he wasn't sure how to proceed; hopefully having Mary would be a good support. Kate was sitting at the kitchen table and mending what looked to be a dress. Wally, as usual was engrossed in the morning paper.

'Well, what's the law got for me this morning? Oh, sorry but would you'se like a cuppa?'

'No (Paddy) thanks Mrs Leigh. Ummm . . . are you acquainted with an Emilee Harrington?'

'Yeah, of course, she's like to be a daughter t'me; struth, what's she gone and done now?'

(Pause) I'm sorry (pause) to tell you that Emilee Harrington . . . was found dead this morning in a room at the (well-known hotel).'

For a moment there was silence only broken by the sound of Wally's newspaper falling to the ground.

'(Softly and disbelieving) What . . . what did you say? It can't be Emilee 'cause she wouldn't go near a posh pub like that. No, no you've got the wrong person; whatya say Wally, Emilee would never go to a snob place like that, never, would she?'

(Wally addressing Paddy) 'Are you sure? I mean how do you know it's our Emilee?'

'We found her purse with an ID under the bed; no, there's no mistake it's Emilee Harrington; anyway, we have a mug shot taken when she was arrested for prostitution. I'm . . . we're sorry Mrs Leigh for your loss.'

'DON'T SAY THAT! DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT. SHE'S ALIVE; I'LL COME AND SEE THE BODY WHICH SURE AS HELL WON'T BE EMILEE.'

Wally got up and went to stand beside a now hysterical Kate.

'Calm down Katie, calm down. (Turning to Paddy) You mentioned something about a bed; can you give me details?'

'You won't like what I've got to tell you.'

(from Mary) Best if you don't know details Mr Leigh. Just that Emilee was brutally murdered by someone using a razor.'

At that Kate Leigh lost it and started yelling;

'NO, NO, NO, NOT MY SWEET EMILEE. OH, OH, OH, NO, NO, NO!'

Wally hugged Katie as she surrendered to inconsolable grief. He himself was gutted; Emilee was a favourite in a world that was sometime unemotional and cruel. He managed;

'Thank you for your kindness; can I see her body?'

'Yes, tell me when it's convenient and I'll arrange a viewing for you and . . . ?'

'No, just me; Mrs Leigh is, as you can see, grief-stricken. I assume it's not a pretty sight; I've seen razor mutilations before.'

'Yes Mr Leigh (softly) she was sliced up badly.'

With that, and being considerate to the anguish and torment their message had left behind, Paddy and Mary left the couple to their bereavement. Paddy was secretly relieved that Giles's name wasn't mentioned . . . yet!'

 

***

It didn't take long for the news of Emilee's death to spread. Initially, Kate's mob were informed and soon after the news circulated throughout Woolloomooloo. The suburbs outlined as 'Razorhurst' were on a knife edge. Kate's mob blamed Tilly's mob as retaliation to Mickey Grainger's attack which was vehemently denied by Tilly and her followers. All through this dangerous period Kate was inconsolable; Wally worried about her sanity.

Pockets of violence flared up wherever the two sides met and nobody knew how to diffuse the grave situation. The day of Emilee's funeral was calm out of respect for her untimely death but no one was fooled by the quiet. It was as if the pressure was rising but without any release valve to defuse the situation. People waited, watched, avoided meeting in groups and stayed at home after nightfall.

 

 

[1] Pounds were the legal NSW currency at the time. One pound was probably equal to 5 US dollars.

Thanx for reading. I welcome any comments both good and bad
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

For some reason, this was easier to read (technically) than earlier chapters – even though the subject matter was difficult.

Link to comment

I feel this book is going to have more twists and turns than a road rally course..who is the police and political person behind this gang set up? Food for thought! Must tell you the romantic in me wants Giles to come to his senses and realize it is Paddy who truly loves and cares for him. I do hope that eventually happens.

i am enjoying you multiple plot lines. Thanks for keeping me on edge.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This story is great fun! And as they say, the plot thickens! Thanks for more good story. Jeff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..