Jump to content

Cards on the Table

There are currently no reviews.

Kendall, at 25, puts all his cards on the table and walks away from his best friend, Michael. Being a cop hasn't prepared Michael for the hit he takes. Is there a way back for these two?

This is a story about love and the convoluted ways it sometimes takes to get there. It is also about commitment, friendship and trust, in yourself and in others. This is my first story attempt ever.  It is like plunging into ice cold water and finding out whether you have what it takes to swim to the other side before you sink....kind of like the way love sometimes works. Wish me luck. I will try not to waste your time.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

  • Like 69
  • Love 6


Select Chapter
Table of Contents


Recommended Comments

User Feedback



I like it Gary!

Michael is obviously confused and needs time as much as Kendall does so him leaving was the right thing to do. I wish he had spent a little more time reassuring Kendall things would be okay but that's just nitpicking.

Candy was perfect. What a great job you did with her. I hope you bring her back at least one more time so Ace and/or Deuce can just thoroughly humiliate her. She deserves. it!

As I told you already, you're doing well, keep breathing,,, hopefully the jitters are not bothering as much now. I look forward to the next installment!

Carlos

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 01/15/2015 11:15 PM, Carlos Hazday said:
I like it Gary!

Michael is obviously confused and needs time as much as Kendall does so him leaving was the right thing to do. I wish he had spent a little more time reassuring Kendall things would be okay but that's just nitpicking.

Candy was perfect. What a great job you did with her. I hope you bring her back at least one more time so Ace and/or Deuce can just thoroughly humiliate her. She deserves. it!

As I told you already, you're doing well, keep breathing,,, hopefully the jitters are not bothering as much now. I look forward to the next installment!

Carlos

Thanks,Carlos! Your read on things is perfect. What happened has thrown Michael for a huge loop. For the first time in their friendship, he is clued in. He is in a total state of confusion so I thought it important that he got some clarity at least, and he got that through Candy. From the first time these guys showed up in my head, Candy was there. Her impact will be felt again. I think Michael has started the process of examining his life instead of just sailing along blindly. That hits close to home for me. Kendall doesn't want reassurance. After six years of loving Ace,although torn, he wants/ needs distance. He can't think straight(no pun intended) when Michael is around. Michael didn't want to leave, but he IS thankful that he got the chance to make up for freezing up. I hope you continue the journey with me Carlos, even if I falter because your presence means much...I love being sappy with you..I can picture you squirming :)Cheers, buddy
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Gary, Gary, Gary...you have nothing to be sorry for! You've done what a good writer does: portrayed Life in all its Glory and Infamy...we can hope for one outcome, but it isn't an iron-clad guarantee we get at he start of our lives.

 

You are grounded and honest and caring--never alter those quialities to fit some other person's idea of you. Your readers are going to fret and agonize, but it is out of the quality you give them which can draw such emotions. Tell the story as you see it, no one else can do it your way. Only if you lose that will you need bodyguards. :)

 

You have shown us such Passion and Honesty and Respect that we can only give you a feeble reflection of the same.

 

You have been my beta for such a short time, and yet, I can't imagine what my writing and life would be like without your guidance. Few people earn my highest praise, one was the teacher for my second attempt at First Grade, who saw that I was havnig problems seeing the work on the boards, and took the effort to help me whereas the first teacher didn't, and I didn't know better than to keep quiet. She instilled in me my life-long love of reading and writing and regard for others...you have brought renewed vior to those endeavors.

B.G. and A.G.--that's my division of my writing, so--take us where you will, as you will--I trust you.

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 01/22/2015 12:21 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Gary, Gary, Gary...you have nothing to be sorry for! You've done what a good writer does: portrayed Life in all its Glory and Infamy...we can hope for one outcome, but it isn't an iron-clad guarantee we get at he start of our lives.

 

You are grounded and honest and caring--never alter those quialities to fit some other person's idea of you. Your readers are going to fret and agonize, but it is out of the quality you give them which can draw such emotions. Tell the story as you see it, no one else can do it your way. Only if you lose that will you need bodyguards. :)

 

You have shown us such Passion and Honesty and Respect that we can only give you a feeble reflection of the same.

 

You have been my beta for such a short time, and yet, I can't imagine what my writing and life would be like without your guidance. Few people earn my highest praise, one was the teacher for my second attempt at First Grade, who saw that I was havnig problems seeing the work on the boards, and took the effort to help me whereas the first teacher didn't, and I didn't know better than to keep quiet. She instilled in me my life-long love of reading and writing and regard for others...you have brought renewed vior to those endeavors.

B.G. and A.G.--that's my division of my writing, so--take us where you will, as you will--I trust you.

What can I say to this CG. your respect means so much to me. Being your Beta is very rewarding. You let me share J and M with you and that's a gift for me. Your passion, skill and drive for quality has inspired me. Best of all, as good as you are, there is no arrogance in you whatsoever.Working with you gave me confidence, and a little chat with Irri planted a seed, and now I have an outlet for the creativity and a home to do it in.I have a tremendous amount to learn, but with your support and others, I feel like I have found something special.So thank you for a review that has my cheeks wet gives me the fuel I need...you are the best...Cheers
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I am so angry right now. I went and wrote a whole long review. Then clicked post, and my laptop hadn't connected to the internet and I lost it. I don't have the strength to do it again. Just know I admire what you're doing and am in for the long haul. I haven't reviewed since ch 1 and 2 cos I was on my mobile and not logged in. But I've read as far as you've written and i'm a junkie. Love it man!

Ben H

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 03:58 AM, Ben Highlander said:
I am so angry right now. I went and wrote a whole long review. Then clicked post, and my laptop hadn't connected to the internet and I lost it. I don't have the strength to do it again. Just know I admire what you're doing and am in for the long haul. I haven't reviewed since ch 1 and 2 cos I was on my mobile and not logged in. But I've read as far as you've written and i'm a junkie. Love it man!

Ben H

I feel your pain, man. It's happened to me. It's too bad...I would have loved to read what you wrote, but this is great too.Junkie? Very cool. thanks for the great supportive words and the review. I have chapter 8 finished so it shouldn't be too long now.
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Damn fine staging...from the hot as hell shower to the sack to breakfast...they make a great couple now that they've got the dance steps in sync! And the beauty of it is that they started out as "Friends in Love". (Yeah, it reminds me of an old Dionne Warrwick song!)

Good job with this!

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 02/12/2015 12:31 PM, Robert Rex said:
Damn fine staging...from the hot as hell shower to the sack to breakfast...they make a great couple now that they've got the dance steps in sync! And the beauty of it is that they started out as "Friends in Love". (Yeah, it reminds me of an old Dionne Warrwick song!)

Good job with this!

Hey Robert, thanks for the great review. They are definitely getting the dance steps in sync...they are both looking at the world through the same lens now, and it's looking better all the time. Glad you liked this. the quickest way to get over the fear of writing a sex scene, was to write another one right after :) Cheers, my friend
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 minutes ago, TRegss said:

Love the Story. Just wish you finish it. I'd prefer a Happy-End:*).

 

Don't worry, he will. Right now Gary's busy writing his Morningstar story.

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
Just now, TRegss said:

Yes, but not fast enough:*)

 

LOL, welcome to the hungry bird club. Cheep, cheep. :lol:  Have you read the spin-off story (Song and Dance) ?

  • Like 5

Share this comment


Link to comment

I am saving it for a rainy day and to combat withdrawal symptons, in case of interruptions.

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment

I have no Finnish bullets, but I have honed the tines on the pitchfork to hypodermic sharpness, one slow stroke at a time :P.  I am painfully waiting for the return of COTT with all the others.

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

You mean you don’t want to pull a Timmy and juggle 3+ concurrent stories while dodging pitchforks and Finnish bullets?  ;-)

No... Morningstar is, for me, a very complex story, with a lot of thought required... and making sure I cover all the details that are woven throughout... COTT is demanding in a different way... I need to keep the characters compartmentalized in my mind to do the best job... even writing the four anthology stories while writing Morningstar, taxed my old brain :). Some writers can juggle easily... I can do it, but I prefer not to... and I'm not kidding myself.... it will be difficult re-immersing myself  in COTT because of the time that has passed... truthfully, I'm a little apprehensive....

  • Like 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 minute ago, wenmale64 said:

one slow stroke at a time :P.

<must resist making naughty comment!> :X 

 

Hehe, while we all miss COTT, I won't be part of the mob with the pitchforks. Instead, I'll be Gary's bodyguard! ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

<must resist making naughty comment!> :X 

 

Hehe, while we all miss COTT, I won't be part of the mob with the pitchforks. Instead, I'll be Gary's bodyguard! ;) 

 

biting guarding his backside :rofl: 

  • Like 4

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

<must resist making naughty comment!> :X

 

Hehe, while we all miss COTT, I won't be part of the mob with the pitchforks. Instead, I'll be Gary's bodyguard! ;)

 

No fair Drew.   I like your comments and you know I could never poke you with the pitchfork and Gary is safe, I just hone while dreaming of the return.  I will admit, I have not started Morningstar, as I am poor person to wait. With that in mind, I am holding off until it is complete....I think :P.

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 minutes ago, wenmale64 said:

I just hone while dreaming of the return. 

I also hone while dreaming, at night... 0:) Well, my resistance didn't last that long. :P

 

7 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

biting guarding his backside :rofl: 

:whistle: 

  • Like 3

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hmm, pitchforks?  Bodyguards?  G-Man isn't a monster to be hunted--there's something FUNDAMENTally wrong with that scenario.  I'll be a torch-bearer lighting the way to a safe haven in my hay mow.  :P   Maybe Jay and Miles will give him some of their special blend of care to help him along?

  • Like 5

Share this comment


Link to comment
16 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Hmm, pitchforks?  Bodyguards?  G-Man isn't a monster to be hunted--there's something FUNDAMENTally wrong with that scenario.  I'll be a torch-bearer lighting the way to a safe haven in my hay mow.  :P   Maybe Jay and Miles will give him some of their special blend of care to help him along?

Yeah... what CG said :P 

 

9 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

If you're looking for back up, I'm right there with you CG. ;)

And Reader :P 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..