Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 5,357 Words
  • 7,832 Views
  • 46 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 54. Chapter 54 Respecting the Rules of the Game

It's smart to play carefully.

Cards on the Table

 

 

Chapter 54

 

 

Big Mike had been right. Bodie found the antics of Michael and Kendall very entertaining. Even on skates, gliding like professionals, they were attuned to one another. It was as if they were all that existed in the world, although you could easily see the awareness they had for their surroundings. Little skating demons of varying ages, vying to prove they were the next Gretzky, buzzed around the rink getting in everyone’s way; yet the two men never came remotely close to looking awkward or being caught off guard. They skated around and through every challenging situation with confident grace, all the while linked with each other in some way. Their constant touches seem natural without drawing any attention. Bodie almost expected them to hold hands but, watching them, he saw it wasn’t a requirement for staying connected. It wasn’t just a lesson in skating… it was also a lesson in love.

Bodie turned around to see his boyfriend returning from the truck, a new skate lace dangling from his hand, and sat back down to wait. Nate needed to replace the one that must have been sheared, unnoticed, by a skate blade during his last hockey game. Watching his guy stride purposely towards him in the bright sunlight, Bodie experienced that same impact he’d grown to expect, but didn’t believe he would ever get used to. It was the same feeling present at their first meeting, and every one since. It was impossible to imagine a more handsome guy anywhere. The short black curls on the top of Nate’s head shone with life from the rays of the almost noonday sun, and the matching stubble served to enhance the masculine perfection of his features. Those intense, darkly blue eyes were trained on him, and Bodie’s pulse quickened once they got close enough to get lost in. There was no doubt that brilliant smile was meant for him alone, and he couldn’t help but return it. Nate gripped his shoulder for balance before stepping over and sitting beside him on the sturdy backless bench they’d claimed earlier.

“I got it,” Nate shared as he sat down close enough their legs touched.

“I see that. You want me to hold your skate while you thread it?”

“Okay, yeah, that’ll make it go quicker. Let’s straddle the bench.”

Bodie spent the entire time watching his boyfriend’s face while he concentrated on his task. When his tongue snuck out the corner of that entrancing mouth, Bodie smiled.

“What?” Nate had noticed the blonde’s amusement.

“You look really cute when you do that.”

“Do what?”

“Stick your tongue out while you’re intent on something. I’ve seen you do it before.”

“Mr. Cavanaugh, are you flirting with me?”

“If it’s working, yes… if it’s not, then no.”

“That’s a yes, then,” Nate replied while studiously observing his progress with the lacing.

Bodie’s smile grew bigger and he couldn’t resist leaning forward and whispering, “You are beautiful, birthday boy.”

“If you say so,” he replied, meeting the smiling boy’s gaze, and pushing Bodie’s heart to an accelerated pace once again. “You’re the good looking one in this relationship.”

“If you say so,” he returned, chuckling. “Relationship… I like that.”

“You better.” Now it was Nate that was smiling.

 

From the minute they stepped on the ice, there was no denying how evenly matched they were as Nate headed straight for his uncles. The urge to grab his hand was strong, but common sense prevailed. Bodie had promised Mark Grant they’d be careful, and busy as it was, this was a small rural setting. Taking a page from the uncles’ book, he satisfied himself with sticking close and occasionally rubbing shoulders and arms as they chased down their targets. It didn’t take them long before they were right behind Kendall and Michael, matching them stride for stride as they all skated counter-clockwise. God, it felt good to be back on skates with Nate at his side. Quitting the hockey team had been devastating at the time. Now, he found it didn’t matter so much. His priorities were no longer the same.

“Took you guys long enough,” Michael teased. “You two looked pretty lovey-dovey over on the bench.”

“We did?” That had caught Bodie by surprise. He never wanted to make Nate a target for any kind of bullying in his grandparents’ little town.

“Leave them alone, Ace. Don’t listen to the big lug… you guys were fine. You don’t have to keep ten feet apart, and as long as you don’t shove it in people’s faces, it’s all good. Don’t worry about it, and just have fun.” Kendall did a good job of alleviating Bodie’s concern, and he relaxed once again.

“I’m just bugging you, guys,” Michael said as they chose that moment to skate past them with a challenge written all over their faces.

“Yeah, we know. See you later, old folks,” Nate said as he and his boyfriend lengthened stride in unison, and picked up speed. They laughed, knowing Kendall wouldn’t allow Michael to charge after them, and how much that would bother him. Weaving through the steady stream of skaters, they enjoyed sharing in this special pastime that had been a part of them since they were little tykes. Bodie was impressed with Nate’s abilities. They definitely matched his own, and he imagined playing hockey against him would be a real challenge, and playing with him, on the same line, would be something special.

“You’re good, Bode… really good.”

“I was just thinking the same thing.”

“What, that you’re good?”

“No, smarty-pants. You’re an amazing skater. Maybe even better than me.”

“Are you flirting with me again?”

“Yup.”

“Good. Seriously though… there’s no way I’m better than you. Let’s call it a draw?”

“Works for me, boyfriend,” he muttered quietly.

“It’s a shame we can’t hold hands while we skate, like that couple is,” Nate complained quietly as he pointed out the boy and girl in front of them. “It would be cool to do that.”

“I know what you mean, but I never want to be responsible for some redneck coming after you when I’m not around. Kendall and Michael, and your dad, are right about being careful. When we’re older it’ll be easier. We’re both going to be big guys.”

“I know. I really don’t need to hold hands to feel close to you. This is fun, don’t you think?”

Bodie smiled hugely as he put his arm over Nate’s shoulders in a best friend kind of gesture. “I’m having a blast.”

Nate burst out laughing. “You couldn’t resist, could you?”

“Nope,” Bodie replied as he drew his arm back. That contact was enough. He’d learned from watching the two laughing men on the other side of the rink. He was satisfied… and very happy.

 

As soon as they were safely ensconced in the back seat of Black Beauty, Bodie claimed Nate’s hand, feeling somewhat starved for the intimacy. Receiving no complaints from his smiling companion, he entwined their fingers. Once underway, it was obvious from Michael’s lean towards Kendall in the front seat they were doing the same thing.

“I wouldn’t mind going back there again tomorrow. What about you guys?” Michael asked while craning his neck around to look at them in the back seat.

“I would love to, but I have to go home at some point.” Bodie didn’t want to overstay his welcome, but he had no real desire to leave.

“Well, your mom said it was up to us what time we took you home tomorrow, so I don’t think Nate would mind if it was late in the day, would you, Nate?”

“No. We could keep him for a while since he has no school left. Maybe return him next weekend?”

Bodie laughed at how cheeky Nate was being. “Maybe I could just move in till the new year?” He looked at Nate and wiggled his eyebrows, getting a giggle from him.

“Not after what I saw on the living room floor this morning. Scandalous!” Michael exclaimed. “We’ll soon need a crowbar to get you two apart.”

Nate was blushing now. “It was just a little kiss, Uncle Mike. We weren’t ‘sucking face’ like you said we were.”

“No, that came later, in the bedroom,” Bodie joked, making Michael and Kendall both laugh while Nate squeezed Bodie’s hand so hard it hurt. “Ouch. Sorry Nate… I was just kidding… we didn’t do that, you guys.”

“Do you believe him, Michael?” Kendall asked.

“Not a chance. Nate looks guilty as hell, and Bodie looks smug. I tell you we’re going to need a crowbar and a hose for these two.”

Bodie winced when Nate leaned over and said, “I’m going to hurt you for that.”

“You already did. I think you broke my hand.”

“Sorry, but you deserved that for giving Uncle Mike more ammunition. You know what he’s like.” He exaggerated the sigh that followed.

“You’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking. Will you forgive me?” Bodie tried really hard to keep the smirk off his face while Nate studied him, but he wasn’t successful.

“I can see I’m going to have to watch you… you’re starting to remind me of someone.” He shot his Uncle Mike a glare.

Kendall, listening to the teasing in the back seat, chimed in with, “I was just thinking the same thing, Nephew. I’m starting to believe he’s more like Michael than he is like me, no matter what your grandfather says… pretty sure we have another Michael on our hands.”

“That’s a good thing… right, Deuce?” Michael asked with a grin.

“Oh absolutely, Ace, no doubt about it.” Kendall grinned back, and the boys in the back started giggling. Bodie was delightfully surprised when Nate pulled his hand up for a quick and furtive kiss while his uncles were teasing each other. He followed it up with a wink once their hands were back out of sight. For Bodie, the world shone that much brighter for having shared such a special little moment with this romantic guy who touched him on so many levels.

 

It didn’t take them long to get back to the house. Colleen, standing at the side door, ushered them in when they stopped to throw snowballs at each other. “You boys have been out in the cold long enough for one day. Look! Your faces are all red from exertion and the temperature. Get in here, and warm up. Nate, you still have some presents to open, so put your stuff away in your room—hang those skates up in the closet—and we’ll meet in the kitchen.

“More presents? But I already got your gifts… the clothes and the shoes….”

“Nathanial, you need gifts you can open on your birthday. Now scoot, the two of you, and spread your hats and gloves out next to the register so they can dry.”

“Yes, Grams.” Nate led the way, and Bodie was right on his heels.

Once in their bedroom, Bodie couldn’t resist pulling the dark-haired boy in for a hug, breathing in the scent of him. “You smell cold,” he murmured.

“You smell exactly like my boyfriend.” Nate kissed the side of Bodie’s neck, and inhaled deeply. “I’m going to take the box you made me downstairs to show everyone. Thanks again for the gifts. They are so awesome.” He pulled away far enough to plant a tender kiss on Bodie, one the blonde insisted on prolonging.

Bodie was the one to pull away first as he felt the stirrings begin. “Ah, maybe we better head down now.”

Nate acknowledged his blush with one of his own. “Good idea.” They carried out Colleen’s instructions in silence, and Bodie found himself becoming very determined. It wasn’t going to be exactly easy to take it slow, but he was confident it would be worth it in the long run. Nothing was going to be allowed to screw up their brand new relationship.

Bodie watched Nate carefully cradle the box that was so obviously cherished, opening the door for him so they could head downstairs. As they neared the kitchen, the lights went out and whispering could be heard. Someone must have pulled the curtains closed to darken the room a bit, and he could see the flickering light of candles coming from the doorway in front of the birthday boy. Sure enough, once Nate appeared at the kitchen entrance, the singing began. From behind him, Bodie joined the rendition of ‘Happy Birthday,’ giving it his all, just like the rest of them were. The cake was huge, and he had a pretty good idea of what Colleen had been doing while they were gone. The skating was likely part of a plan to get Nate out of the house. The room smelled strongly of chocolate, and the cake was covered in cherries and coconut, making his mouth water. It was the same kind his mother always made him for his birthday. When Nate was told to make a wish, his eyes met Bodie’s over the cake as he blew out the mass of candles. That gaze made him feel he was the wish, and he sent a charged look in the dim light to the boy who was definitely his dream come true.

When the lights went back on, Michael was the first to ask what Nate was holding. He showed his family the box, explaining how Bodie had designed and made it, and of course, Bodie turned crimson at the exclamations. Colleen’s face was awash with emotion, and the hug he expected her to give her grandson, she gave to him instead. “You are a very special boy,” she said to him quietly.

After that, everyone expressed their astonishment for Bodie’s handiwork and artistic skills. The depiction of the house went over especially well with Michael commenting on the accuracy of such a small painting. Kendall was the first to notice the chain Nate had pulled from under his fleece shirt. “Wow. Part two of your present, I take it?”

“Yeah, like the box wasn’t already enough,” Nate said as he gave an appreciative look to his boyfriend. The oohing and awing started all over again, this time for the chain and the engraving.

Big Mike and Bodie were standing off to one side while all the fuss was going on over the silver necklace. The older man grinned. “It was a good idea, son, but I don’t think you needed to chain him to you. That boy’s going nowhere, and from the looks of it, neither are you.”

Bodie knew he was probably still close to the color of a fire engine, but Nate’s grandfather, in the short time he’d spent with him, had a way of putting him at ease. There was something so easygoing and kind about the man, and it made him feel like he’d known him a long time.

“Thank you, sir. And you’re right… I’m not going anywhere… you’re all stuck with me.” Bodie’s heart swelled when Nate, who’d been discretely listening, looked at him and lifted his necklace, kissing the engraved part.

Strength is a good word to put on there, son. It’s something you guys will need as you go through life, and it’s something my grandson has in spades. And I’ll just put this out there. You can call me sir if you want, but I’d prefer Big Mike or gramps if it’s all the same to you. But you suit yourself.”

“Thanks… Gramps.” Bodie chuckled as it rolled off his tongue. He was surprised, but it didn’t feel weird in the slightest. He guessed that his heart had made the decision Nate’s family was his as well, and they were making it clear it was the same for them.

Michael was back to examining the box again, awe showing on his face. “How in hell are we supposed to compete with this? Way to outdo us, Bodie. Jeez. I say we just return these other gifts. What do you think, Babe?” Michael went to gather up the presents on the table, when Nate objected.

“Hey, get your hands off those. They’ve got my name on them so leave them alone,” he demanded to his uncle.

Colleen and Kendall laughed. “You tell him, Nephew. I think he wants a couple of those for himself.”

“Traitor,” Michael joked at his partner.

“Whatever. Just open them, Nate, so we can eat some cake. The smell of chocolate is driving me crazy after all of those calories we just burned,” Kendall encouraged.

Two xbox games, a Blu-ray movie, and a bottle of cologne later, and they all settled down to enjoy the cake. Bodie whispered to Colleen that it was his favorite kind, and as good as the ones his mother baked him. Nate laughed at the pleased look on his grandmother’s face.

“You’re good, boyfriend.”

“Isn’t he, though,” Michael commented around a mouthful of heavenly cake.

Bodie's blush returned, but fainter this time, as he looked at the grinning faces around the table. “Hey, I was being sincere.”

“Of course you were, dear. Ignore them and eat your cake,” Colleen said with a giggle.

Another giggle erupted from his right, just before his hand was claimed once again by his dark-haired guy.

 

They spent the next couple of hours in their room playing the new xbox games. Both were two-player, so it worked out well. Once again, they were pretty evenly matched. Both games were hotly contested, and they were having a great time relaxing and being themselves. It seemed like hardly any time had passed before they were called down to dinner. At Nate’s request, shepherd’s pie was on the menu, and the smell of it permeated the air as they raced toward the kitchen. Bodie had never had it before, but if the aroma was any indication, he was in for a treat. Colleen sure didn’t skimp on the helpings, as they all sat down to massive portions. For the next few minutes, there was only the grateful sounds of enjoyment coming from the men. His mom was a decent cook, and his dad was somewhat better, but Bodie would be willing to move in for Colleen’s cooking alone. The meal was easily one of the most delicious he ever had.

“How is it, Bodie?” Colleen asked.

“I think it’s the best thing I’ve ever eaten, ma’am,” he answered with a euphoric expression on his face. “I need to get my mom to make this.”

Colleen giggled. “I’m glad you like it, but please don’t call me ma’am. It makes me sound so old.” She giggled again. “Just call me Colleen or grams, okay?”

Bodie swallowed his food before answering. “If I call you grams, does that mean you’ll feed me more often?” He gave her a cheeky grin.

“Oh my, aren’t you a sharp one. Yes, dear, that’s exactly what it means. I heard you call my husband gramps, and it’s only fair,” she teased.

“Well, in that case, grams it is… Grams.” Bodie smiled, and then got quiet. “I don’t see much of my grandparents, my grammie and grampie, because they live in Florida now, and my other grandparents have… ah… they passed away. My mom’s parents, my nanna and papa, were killed by a drunk driver.” Bodie kept his head down and successfully fought back tears as memories assaulted him. Nate’s hand found his, and it gave him what he needed to look back up. “My nanna was a great cook too.” He kept his gaze on Colleen’s kind face because he didn’t dare look at any of the others until that awful feeling of loss passed.

“Well, dear, I’m not your nanna, but I can certainly be your grams. And I can give you the recipe for this to give to your mom. It’ll take nothing to write it out for her.”

“Thanks, Grams. That would be great.”

“You’re welcome, sweetheart.” Colleen smiled at the boy, and he saw the genuine sympathy there. “Now dig in… Michael’s way ahead of you,” she cajoled, and then laughed at her son’s scowl.

Michael may have been ahead, but they all managed to finish at the same time. With groans all around the table, they agreed to wait for more cake until after their stomachs had a rest. When Nate asked to be excused, Kendall told him to hold on.

“We have one more present for you, Nephew. Michael, since you arranged it, you tell him.”

Michael leaned towards the end of the table and gave his partner a kiss. “We arranged it, Babe. I did the first part and you did the rest. My part was easy.”

“Okay fine, Sunshine, we did it together… now tell the poor boy.” The loving look he gave his fiancé wasn’t missed by anyone.

“Yeah, tell the poor boy, would you, please?” Nate asked with a whine.

Michael hesitated, and grinned mysteriously before continuing. “Actually, this is a present for both of you." He gave Bodie an almost imperceptible half-wink. “How would you like to take the bus in with Bodie on your first day at Markham High?”

“Um, that would be so cool. Are you going to drive me to Bodie’s that morning?” Nate looked surprised and excited.

“Nah, won’t need to,” he said. “You can just walk over to meet him, or you can wait at your own driveway.”

“What? How is that possible? We don’t move in until the fifteenth.” Now Nate looked totally confused, but Bodie felt a surge of joy at what he thought might be coming. If he was right, the feeling it gave him proved how much having Nate at his side when he went back to school would really mean to him. Getting on that bus alone and sitting by himself was still one of the hardest things he had to do. There was no longer anyone to head for when he walked down the aisleway.

“It’s possible, my dear nephew, because we changed our possession date. We’re moving in on Tuesday, the third of January, and school starts on the fourth.”

Nate looked stunned as Bodie gave him a high-five that he returned weakly. “You did this for me?” Nate’s question was laced with emotion.

“It’s not that big a deal, but yeah. We haven’t forgotten what you’ve been through, what both of you have been through, and we want you to be happy, Nathanial. Plus we get to move in earlier too, so it’s not all about you.” Bodie could see Michael was trying to lighten the mood while his boyfriend fought unsuccessfully to control his tears. A few managed to slip out.

“I can’t believe you did this,” Nate croaked out before his voice steadied. “Thank you so much, Uncle Mike and Uncle Kendall. You guys are the absolute best.” He rose then to give them hugs, and they rose with him. A few more drops slid down his cheeks.

“You’re welcome, Nephew. We wanted you to start off at your new school in the best way possible, and we figured that would be you arriving with this blond guy we can’t seem to get rid of,” Kendall said as he returned the hug. Bodie laughed, wanting to hug them as well.

Nate studied his other uncle’s face as he approached him. “Is that what you were doing the day you dropped us off at the kennel, and went back to see the owner?”

“Yup. Clever, aren’t I?”

“You’re awesome, Uncle Mike. You have no idea how much this means to me.”

“Oh, I think I do, Nathanial, and you’re welcome.” Michael searched out Kendall’s glistening eyes over the top of the happy and emotional boy’s head, and Bodie once again witnessed that incredible connection they had. Michael was right… it was a gift for both him and Nate, and like his handsome boyfriend, he was on cloud nine.

“This is the best gift ever.”

Michael drew back and smirked. “Better than Bodie’s?

Kendall smacked Michael’s shoulder. “Now why go and spoil it, big guy?”

“What? I was just asking.” Michael tried to look innocent, but no one bought it.

Nate gave a contented sigh. “It’s a tie, Uncle Mike.”

Michael gave Bodie a smug look and stuck his tongue out, which Bodie promptly returned.

 

It had been a very full day for the entire family, with Nate’s birthday slowly coming to a close. He was a welcome source of heat and comfort, nestled alongside Bodie. The entire family was in the basement family room watching Nate’s birthday movie, “The Wolfman,” starring Anthony Hopkins. It was downright creepy, and a few times, the tension could be felt in his boyfriend’s body. While it was riveting, all three couples were yawning by the end of it.

“I think all that fresh air tired you boys out,” Big Mike said through a yawn of his own.

“What’s your excuse, Pop?” Kendall teased.

“I’m getting old, my boy. And your mother runs me ragged,” he teased.

“As if!” Colleen snorted as she cast a baleful eye at her husband. “I think it’s time you got your old rump to bed,” she said as she half-yawned and half-giggled. “That was a good movie, don’t you think, Nathanial?”

“Yeah, it was. It was kind of scary, though. Thanks for getting it for me.”

Colleen stood up, and beckoned Big Mike to do the same. “You’re welcome, dear boy,” she said as she leaned over and gave him a kiss on the top of his head. She did the same with the other three before heading up the stairs with Big Mike trailing dutifully behind. They all did the ‘Walton’ good nights before the elder pair disappeared. Colleen’s giggle a few seconds later let them know that Michael Sr. might not be that tired after all.

“Okay, boys, it’s bedtime, at least for Kendall and me, so it’s time to talk about those rules we mentioned earlier.” Michael looked at Kendall and laughed. “Jeez, have you ever seen two more serious-looking kids?”

Kendall laughed too as Michael continued. “Guys, it’s simple. We’re responsible for you, Nate, so we have to act like parents… not friends. Two rules. You wear sleep shorts and tee shirts when you go to bed. And you leave your bedroom door cracked open when you put your lights out for the night. A door that’s not pulled shut means we can look in on you, that’s all. It’s not about not trusting you, okay? It’s more about proper appearances.”

“Okay, yeah. That sounds fair, Uncle Mike.”

Bodie heard the relief in his boyfriend’s voice, but he had a question. “Ah, Michael… Kendall… are we allowed to lie in the same bed at all?” He could tell his question was totally unexpected, but he didn’t want to break any rules. He saw Nate glance quickly at him before returning his attention to his uncles.

He wasn’t surprised when after a loaded look between them, Kendall answered. “Do we have your promise you’ll talk to one of us before you consider taking any steps towards sexual activity?”

Both boys nodded at the same time, and Bodie could feel himself turning red, but he met Kendall’s eyes with the promise displayed openly in his.

“In that case, while we’d prefer you slept in separate beds, it’s up to you where you sleep. Like I said, we trust you, and if the intent is for comfort, we won’t give you a hard time about it, as long as the two rules are followed. And remember to be quiet… your grandparents are just two rooms down the hall, all right?”

“Yes, sir… I mean, yes, Kendall.”

“Yes, Uncle Kendall. We would never let you down. We know we’re too young to… go there.”

“Well, that’s good enough for me,” Michael said. “Take me to bed, Babe. I’m wiped right out.”

“Yes, boss.” Kendall rolled his eyes at the boys before standing up, and hauling Michael to his feet. “Good night, boys.”

“Uncle Kendall… Uncle Mike.” Nate rose and walked towards them. “Thank you again for all you’ve done for me. Nobody in the world has better uncles than I do. I really mean that… the best thing my mom ever did was put me on that plane. I love you both so much….” Tears flowed again that day, for everyone in the room as they gathered in a group hug. Bodie felt blessed too, by having these two men appear in his life at such an important time.

 

The boys’ showers were quick, and in no time they had crawled into their respective beds. Nate had been right about the bunk bed being a little short, but Bodie was too exhausted to care. Their kiss good night had been sweet, and they didn’t let it morph into anything more than that. Bodie heard Nate’s breathing across the room even out, and when he was convinced he was asleep, he let go of his own consciousness with a smile on his face to accompany him into dreamland.

 

Even in sleep, Bodie was partially attuned to Nate, and he slowly became aware of the restless time his boyfriend was having as he tossed and turned. Already awake, he heard a muffled cry before seeing Nate’s silhouette appear in front of the faint light of the window behind his bed. He was clutching a blanket around his body, and he took a few steps towards the door before stopping.

“Nate? Are you all right?” Bodie’s voice was barely a whisper.

There was no response. “Nate, it’s Bodie,” he said gently, like he was soothing one of the puppies. “Are you okay?”

“Sorry, I had a bad dream,” he replied, his voice trembling.

“Why are you sorry? I have them too… were you going somewhere?”

“I… my uncles… they let me sleep with them, and I don’t have them when I do.” He sighed. “I sound like a little kid, don’t I?”

“Heck no,” Bodie whispered. “I’ve ended up in my parents’ bed a few times lately. It’s all good, if you want to go to your uncles’ room… or maybe I could do something?” When Nate didn’t say anything, he continued. “Do you think it would help if we slept in the same bed? I know it’s not a lot of space but we can fit.” Bodie meant what he said about understanding if Nate wanted to go find some peace with his uncles, but he really wanted to be the one to help him through this. In his mind, it was his job now. As much as possible, he wanted to be the one his boyfriend turned to.

Nate quietly chuckled. “I don’t exactly get a lot of room sleeping beside Uncle Mike. He’s a bed hog.” He was beginning to sound more like Nate. Bodie knew that disoriented feeling after a nightmare very well.

“So, do you want to give it a try?”

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

Bodie stood up in the darkness, and reached out for Nate’s hand while he took the blanket from him and threw it back on the bed. “Inside or outside?”

“What?”

“Do you want to sleep against the wall or on the outside?” Bodie was able to make out Nate’s not-quite with-it expression.

“Is it all right if I sleep on the outside?”

“Of course. I’ll get in first.” Bodie spread out the blanket as he lay down on his side, and held it open for Nate to climb in. “See, there’s lots of room.” When Nate slid into bed with his back towards Bodie, he sighed in contentment as Bodie wrapped an arm tentatively around him. “Is this okay?”

“Perfect.”

 

Scant minutes later, neither boy was aware when the door slowly opened, and a faint shaft of light illuminated their sleeping forms. Nor did they see the smile on Kendall’s face before he pulled the door almost closed again.

 

 

  

Thanks to Timothy M. for editing, and to all those wonderful people who support this story. Please drop by the COTT forum:
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 58
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Back again, and caught up...and it's been a worthwhile effort! Really enjoying the way you've handled Brodie and Nate's budding relationship. And the holiday scenes and (almost done) move to the new house are both touching and satisfying. But I also expect there's gonna be a flurry of activities quickly--the move, move-in, renovations, parents move, and, oh yeah, a baby--well you've comma be covering a lot of stuff!
But we'll be following along--appreciating the good job you do! Bring it all on!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

This will be a short review :)

 

The birthday party was perfect! :D

 

I really liked Bodie's POV. It was really insightful to see how much of an impact not only Nate has had on him, but also Michael and Kendall.
And, gosh, I was almost moved to tears, when Colleen and Big Mike welcomed Bodie into the family.
The three couples:

  1. Nate and Bodie
  2. Michael and Kendall
  3. Big Mike and Colleen


Years down the road, M&K will be just like Grams and Gramps. Years later, I can see Nodie be just like Mendall, then Big Mike and Colleen. In each case, always in love :heart:

 

But the one thing that sticks right now, is how Bodie took care of Nate when he woke up from that nightmare. That was a beautiful moment :wub:

 

Thanks for posting this amazing chapter Gary :hug:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

While I enjoy the budding romance of Nate and Bodie, I hope they go back to the sidelines and Mike and Kendall take center stage again. There's a baby, there's a wedding, there's a Christmas puppy, there's a move ... Let's get to it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nicely done my friend - Bodie's POV was a good way to capture all that is happening right now. I agree with some of the other reviewers, there is an awful lot that will be in the chapters to come. The last two bits of the chapter, Bodie seeing supporting Nate as his job and Kendall coming in to check on them, spoke volumes about the relationships they have.

 

And a Christmas puppy is on its way :D

Link to comment

Another great chapter! I can't get enuf of the adorable Nate and Bodie! They are so cute together! Was so sweet at the end of the chapter when Bodie cuddles Nate instead of him going to sleep with his uncles for comfort after his nightmare. As always, looking forward to reading more!

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Apart from it being wonderful seeing the world from Bodie's POV, there are two instances I really loved (above all the others, of course :gikkle:).

 

The first is the long awaited reveal to Nate (and Brodie by association) of the earlier move in date. Funny thing is, when I thought about how this moment would go, I thought it would be a lot louder. I didn't expect the tears...mine and Nate's. It was a truly magical moment that didn't need shouts of hurray (alright showing my age, I don't know what teenagers nowadays would shout) or jumping around. The quiet realization and the half-hearted high five (very effective visual btw :thumbup: ) really set the tone to show how profoundly the news affected Nate. To know that his uncles went out of their way to do this for his benefit shows him (thoughI think he already knew) just how much he mattered to them. This scene was beyond my expectations. Thank you Gary. :hug:

 

The second came right at the end. I loved Bodie's response and solution to both Nate's nightmare and how to deal with it. I have a feeling too that Kendall heard every word they said and was smiling proudly from ear to ear on the other side of the door.

 

Thanks for another amazing chapter Gary! You Rock!!

Link to comment

I agree it was a well crafted chapter Gary!
You took the day through Bodies POV so we could experience the growth and realization (in him) of just what he had here, both in his boyfriend and the supporting cast. The accelerated move-in date was the icing on the birthday cake. :wizard:

 

This feels like the concluding Nodie chapter. I know they'll be around, but the story seems ready to move on to what Geemeedee seems so itchy and eager to read about. ;)

 

Thanks for sharing!!

Link to comment

Nice chapter Gary.
The birthday celebrations went well and that was fun to see. I haven't skated since i was like 10. I kinda miss it.
Okay well yeah, i wanted the cake most of all...
Nice that the move in date is closer, works for everyone especially two unsure teens.
Be nice to see what's coming next. Thanks Gary,
tim

Link to comment

It was wonderful to see the day through Brodie's eyes and hear his thoughts. We now know him better and he's a nice boy (I know that seems cliche but you know what I mean) a good kid who appreciates the gift he's been given. I like that the boys are trying to follow the example of the uncles, to be friends before lovers. They both want and need the friendship and the sex stuff is kinda scary to them. Here they are loved and protected and they sleep the sleep of the innocent. I wish like Kendall, I could have peeked in on them for they are beautiful.
Thank you Gary.

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 11:07 AM, Robert Rex said:

Back again, and caught up...and it's been a worthwhile effort! Really enjoying the way you've handled Brodie and Nate's budding relationship. And the holiday scenes and (almost done) move to the new house are both touching and satisfying. But I also expect there's gonna be a flurry of activities quickly--the move, move-in, renovations, parents move, and, oh yeah, a baby--well you've comma be covering a lot of stuff!

But we'll be following along--appreciating the good job you do! Bring it all on!

Hey, Rex! Sorry it took so long to reply. I am one busy dude lately. Glad you've caught up, and like the Nate/ Bodie story arc... I've pretty much have them taken care of, and now there are more loose ends to tie up. I appreciate you taking the time to review... Thank you, and cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 11:21 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

This will be a short review :)

 

The birthday party was perfect! :D

 

I really liked Bodie's POV. It was really insightful to see how much of an impact not only Nate has had on him, but also Michael and Kendall.

And, gosh, I was almost moved to tears, when Colleen and Big Mike welcomed Bodie into the family.

The three couples:

  1. Nate and Bodie
  2. Michael and Kendall
  3. Big Mike and Colleen

Years down the road, M&K will be just like Grams and Gramps. Years later, I can see Nodie be just like Mendall, then Big Mike and Colleen. In each case, always in love :heart:

 

But the one thing that sticks right now, is how Bodie took care of Nate when he woke up from that nightmare. That was a beautiful moment :wub:

 

Thanks for posting this amazing chapter Gary :hug:

Thank you so much, Drew! I like the way you see it all. The new POV allowed me to show some stuff a little better, so I'm pleased you approve. And thank you for liking the final scene. It was a beautiful moment for me to write. I so appreciate your awesome support, Drew... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 12:41 PM, Geemeedee said:

While I enjoy the budding romance of Nate and Bodie, I hope they go back to the sidelines and Mike and Kendall take center stage again. There's a baby, there's a wedding, there's a Christmas puppy, there's a move ... Let's get to it!

LOL... perfect timing, Geemeedee! I've pretty much finished Nate and Bodie's part of the story, so yeah, it's back to the big boys again... and of course, the Christmas puppy... thanks for the great review... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 01:43 PM, Bucket1 said:

Nicely done my friend - Bodie's POV was a good way to capture all that is happening right now. I agree with some of the other reviewers, there is an awful lot that will be in the chapters to come. The last two bits of the chapter, Bodie seeing supporting Nate as his job and Kendall coming in to check on them, spoke volumes about the relationships they have.

 

And a Christmas puppy is on its way :D

Thanks, Bucket! Using Bodie's POV seemed the right thing to do, and fortunately, you all seem to agree. It was a good way for me to tie things up with these two a bit... I have to say, I really enjoyed this little foray into young love, but I wanted it to be a little different... I'm happt with how it turned out... I made sure to put a lot of Mand K in this chapter as well... they are the stars after all... Great review, B, and yeah, puppy! and I'm so happy you liked the last part... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 02:02 PM, jaysalmn said:

Another great chapter! I can't get enuf of the adorable Nate and Bodie! They are so cute together! Was so sweet at the end of the chapter when Bodie cuddles Nate instead of him going to sleep with his uncles for comfort after his nightmare. As always, looking forward to reading more!

Thank you jaysalm! I love writing about these two, but they will take a smaller role for a bit. They'll still be around, but Michael and Kendall need their time too... glad you liked Bodie as Nate's comforter after the nightmare... stay tuned... these two are too cute to leave out of the picture for long... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 02:12 PM, Reader1810 said:

Apart from it being wonderful seeing the world from Bodie's POV, there are two instances I really loved (above all the others, of course :gikkle:).

 

The first is the long awaited reveal to Nate (and Brodie by association) of the earlier move in date. Funny thing is, when I thought about how this moment would go, I thought it would be a lot louder. I didn't expect the tears...mine and Nate's. It was a truly magical moment that didn't need shouts of hurray (alright showing my age, I don't know what teenagers nowadays would shout) or jumping around. The quiet realization and the half-hearted high five (very effective visual btw :thumbup: ) really set the tone to show how profoundly the news affected Nate. To know that his uncles went out of their way to do this for his benefit shows him (thoughI think he already knew) just how much he mattered to them. This scene was beyond my expectations. Thank you Gary. :hug:

 

The second came right at the end. I loved Bodie's response and solution to both Nate's nightmare and how to deal with it. I have a feeling too that Kendall heard every word they said and was smiling proudly from ear to ear on the other side of the door.

 

Thanks for another amazing chapter Gary! You Rock!!

I already told you how your review made me feel. I will just say it was so validating, and it greatly calmed the fears that crop up now and again. What you say about the move-in date reveal still resonates with me a day later. To say the scene was beyond your expectations... well... it was a powerful thing to read... thank you... and I think you just might be right that Kendall let them work the nightmare resolution out themselves... whatever he may have heard, he wouldn't have intruded, but he shows how he will always be there when needed... to us anyway. Dad 101.And thank you for saying I rock... high praise indeed :) . Absolutely marvelous review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 03:12 PM, skinnydragon said:

I agree it was a well crafted chapter Gary!

You took the day through Bodies POV so we could experience the growth and realization (in him) of just what he had here, both in his boyfriend and the supporting cast. The accelerated move-in date was the icing on the birthday cake. :wizard:

 

This feels like the concluding Nodie chapter. I know they'll be around, but the story seems ready to move on to what Geemeedee seems so itchy and eager to read about. ;)

 

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks, Skinny! It's always great to get your feedback. I'm glad the POV worked for you... it did allow me to show more about the Nodie dynamic. You are quite perceptive in that yes, Nodie is winding down and taking a back seat for now...There is much else to take care of lol. Thanks for reviewing, my friend... your thoughts are much appreciated... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 05:25 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice chapter Gary.

The birthday celebrations went well and that was fun to see. I haven't skated since i was like 10. I kinda miss it.

Okay well yeah, i wanted the cake most of all...

Nice that the move in date is closer, works for everyone especially two unsure teens.

Be nice to see what's coming next. Thanks Gary,

tim

Thanks, tim. I appreciate the review. It was a good birthday all round... I think everyone got something from it...and having each other to count on when they go back to school, is huge... and yeah, that's my favorite cake. I haven't skated in a while either... used to all the time... Thanks again, tim... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/10/2016 09:26 PM, dughlas said:

It was wonderful to see the day through Brodie's eyes and hear his thoughts. We now know him better and he's a nice boy (I know that seems cliche but you know what I mean) a good kid who appreciates the gift he's been given. I like that the boys are trying to follow the example of the uncles, to be friends before lovers. They both want and need the friendship and the sex stuff is kinda scary to them. Here they are loved and protected and they sleep the sleep of the innocent. I wish like Kendall, I could have peeked in on them for they are beautiful.

Thank you Gary.

Yes, I do know what you mean, dugh. We get to see what a solid guy Bodie is, and how much Nate means to him. He is attracted to Nate, but he is not some crazy hormonal kid. He knows what is important, what they have, and how important it is to protect it. We find out he truly is in it for the long haul, and his protective instincts are strong. And you did peak in on them, dugh... you were right with Kendall and me when we saw them in innocent sleep :) . Thanks for the wonderful review, my good and dear friend... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/11/2016 06:16 AM, LadyDe said:

:heart::Steve2::hug::glomp::D:thankyou::wub:

And what everyone else said!

You know you're adorable, right? I just love your expressive reviews. Thanks, LadyDe for making my day once again... cheers, my friend... Gary...

Link to comment

You already know I loved this, but I wanted to make sure I left a review too. :) I enjoyed Bodie's POV. It was good to get to know him in this chapter and confirm how good of a kid we all suspected he was. There were a few things I really enjoyed about the chapter. One was the self-restraint Bodie used when he broke off the kissing in the bedroom. He seems to realize that they aren't ready for that kind of physical intimacy yet. I loved that Big Mike and Colleen invited Bodie to call them Grams and Gramps, and that he is comfortable enough to do that. They are one big family and that showed Bodie that he has been accepted into the family. With the rejection Bodie has faced lately, this would have been very important to him.
I loved the simple act of skating with each other, and Bodie seeing how M and K interact with one another. He saw that displays of affection doesn't have to be PDA... even just simple touches and being with each other is a display of affection.
Bodie is a mini-Michael and Nate is a mini-Kendall. I like that :) The fact that Bodie is comfortable enough to let his inner prankster out made me smile :)
There was a lot more that I loved about the chapter, but I will stop my rambling there. Thank you for another great chapter, Gary.

Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 04:37 AM, LitLover said:

You already know I loved this, but I wanted to make sure I left a review too. :) I enjoyed Bodie's POV. It was good to get to know him in this chapter and confirm how good of a kid we all suspected he was. There were a few things I really enjoyed about the chapter. One was the self-restraint Bodie used when he broke off the kissing in the bedroom. He seems to realize that they aren't ready for that kind of physical intimacy yet. I loved that Big Mike and Colleen invited Bodie to call them Grams and Gramps, and that he is comfortable enough to do that. They are one big family and that showed Bodie that he has been accepted into the family. With the rejection Bodie has faced lately, this would have been very important to him.

I loved the simple act of skating with each other, and Bodie seeing how M and K interact with one another. He saw that displays of affection doesn't have to be PDA... even just simple touches and being with each other is a display of affection.

Bodie is a mini-Michael and Nate is a mini-Kendall. I like that :) The fact that Bodie is comfortable enough to let his inner prankster out made me smile :)

There was a lot more that I loved about the chapter, but I will stop my rambling there. Thank you for another great chapter, Gary.

Thank you, Lit! I always love your reviews, but this one is special, not just for what you said, but also because of it being on my 'anniversary'. You saw all the things I hoped to convey about this young man. I wanted readers to believe he was deserving of Nate and his family, and you just told me I accomplished that, so thank you. mini-M and mini-K... love it... as alaways, much gratitude for your constant support, Lit... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

The rules of the game: to me the title not only covers the two rules Michael set up for Nodie sleepovers. The day showed more of the smart playing and respect by all our boys:

  • Lessons of Love: Bodie found out how you can feel connected as a couple without anyone being aware of it. Role models rule. :D
  • Family rule: If you love an Aceto man, you get adopted and loved by the whole family.
  • Teasing game: Joking and teasing is fun and friendly in the family.
  • Taking it slow may be hard, but it's the best way. Anticipation is good. So is kissing and holding hands.
  • Showing emotions and caring and appreciation is OK for guys too.
  • Protecting and helping each other is the duty and pleasure of partners.
  • Sleeping in the arms of your man is the best.


Did I forget anything?
Oh, yeah: LOVE is wonderful and takes your breath away and makes your heart go all giddy.

 

The scene with the gift to Nodie (early house warming) was exactly what we all hoped for. Thanks :kiss:

 

Happy Author Anniversary, Gary. You deserve all the praise and recognition. :yes:

Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 06:55 AM, Timothy M. said:

The rules of the game: to me the title not only covers the two rules Michael set up for Nodie sleepovers. The day showed more of the smart playing and respect by all our boys:

  • Lessons of Love: Bodie found out how you can feel connected as a couple without anyone being aware of it. Role models rule. :D
  • Family rule: If you love an Aceto man, you get adopted and loved by the whole family.
  • Teasing game: Joking and teasing is fun and friendly in the family.
  • Taking it slow may be hard, but it's the best way. Anticipation is good. So is kissing and holding hands.
  • Showing emotions and caring and appreciation is OK for guys too.
  • Protecting and helping each other is the duty and pleasure of partners.
  • Sleeping in the arms of your man is the best.

Did I forget anything?

Oh, yeah: LOVE is wonderful and takes your breath away and makes your heart go all giddy.

 

The scene with the gift to Nodie (early house warming) was exactly what we all hoped for. Thanks :kiss:

 

Happy Author Anniversary, Gary. You deserve all the praise and recognition. :yes:

No, Tim, I think you covered it all really well. The title referred to not just the rules placed on them by others, but the rules they place on themselves... being careful, protecting what the have, and building that solid foundation. You pretty much say it all... especially the 'taking it slow' part. I think we see, with Bodie's POV, they have each others' back. Bodie is genuine, so who knows... maybe the have a good shot at a forever kind of love. I'd like to think so. Absolutely wonderful review, my friend, and thank you for the kind words on a special day for me... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

Took me long enough, but here goes.

 

It was great to see the day unfold through Bodie's eyes. I always thought that Kendall and Michael's relationship would not stand as a model for just Nate, but For Bodie also. This chapter proved just that. Just by watching how K & M connect, and show love and affection without always having to touch, but by being in tune with each other was a lesson for Bodie. A relationship not defined only by the physical but also by learning to listen an to be aware of your partner's needs. It was interesting how perceptive he was while taking in the interaction of the two men. I feel this is a lesson that will serve Bodie well as a young man coming of age. He is already putting it into practice, if caring for Nate after the nightmare was any indication.
I absolutely loved Kendall peeking in on them, though I suspect he was there for much longer.

 

Big Mike and Colleen just have Bodie their seal of approval. It can't get any better than Grams and Gramps.
The move-in, move-up date reveal: all the reactions were priceless. Nate's realization of what his uncles did for him and what it meant to him was just precious. Bodie benefits too, so win!

 

Perfectly wonderful chapter Gary. Full of heart and love..

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..