Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,313 Words
  • 12,229 Views
  • 95 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cards on the Table - 6. Chapter 6 Double Solitaire

Ladies and Gentlemen, please place your bets.


Chapter 6




Kendall was just finishing up what had proved to be a very tough day. Mondays often came with a long exasperating list of resident complaints to deal with, and this was one of the worst in recent memory. Imaginary sounds in the hallways had to be investigated thoroughly, and the video feeds checked. Of course all registered visitors were suspicious characters, in the eyes of the more paranoid residents, blessed with way too much time on their hands. Scratches on mailboxes meant sinister attempts at identity theft and any new cars in the parking garages were major concerns. But it was Kendall's job to allay all these fears no matter how ridiculous he thought them to be. Once in a while the concerns and suspicions were legitimate ones. Investigate and report. That consumed most of his Monday. Slowly releasing pent-up air, he tried to let go of some of the stress he was feeling.

Spending a lot of time with Chet was both good and bad. They were becoming close friends. He was a really great, no, amazing guy, and they got along like a house on fire. Sometimes though, Kendall felt the pressure of Chet's not so casual interest in him. There was no doubt Chet was extremely attractive. There was nothing about him that wasn't appealing... but Kendall wasn't ready. As hard as he tried to let go of Michael, and as necessary as he knew it was, he wasn't able to cross that bridge... not yet, anyway. It was coming up on a month since he had seen or heard from him, and he still wasn't able to let go.

It was time, though, and Kendall knew it. He resolved to start moving forward, beginning today. He was taking Chet to dinner tonight to thank him for driving him to and from his hockey game this past weekend while Beauty was in for front-end work. Maybe he would try to be a little more conducive to the idea of there being something more between them. He had to admit he was curious about actually being with a man, but that wasn't a reason to lead Chet on. He deserved a guy who would return his feelings. They had talked in general about casual sex and both had the same idea about it. Neither one thought much of it.

Looking at the time, he realized he had to get a move on. Chet was coming to pick him up, and take him over to the dealership to rescue Beauty from all those strangers who had been poking at her. The man was quite amused at Kendall's attachment to his truck, and razzed him about it to no end. Kendall didn't mind. He knew it was weird, and wasn't surprised he didn't get it the way Michael had.

A quick relay of instructions to Jeremy, who'd just arrived for his shift, and Kendall was out the door. Exiting the building in a rush, he expected to find Chet waiting for him. Instead, he was taken completely by surprise at the sight of Michael leaning against his navy blue truck in the front circle, obviously waiting for him. His heart suffered the immediate effects of seeing his friend in the flesh again. Instantly, it began racing like a runaway train. At a loss for words, he stopped dead and stared. Why, oh why, did he have to look so good in those faded jeans and the V-necked tee that matched his eyes? Kendall loved that shirt. Even though they were a good distance apart, he could have sworn he'd caught the man's scent for a second.

 

Michael's big beaming smile faded as he watched a stricken look come over Kendall's face. All the confidence and determination he'd brought with him deflated as he saw that panicked expression. It was like a knife to the gut. Trying not to show his hurt, he stepped forward, hoping his old friend would follow suit. He didn't. He stood his ground in an almost defensive stance, and Michael began to feel like the enemy. He couldn't let it deter him. He knew this wasn't going to be easy, but didn't think it would be so hard. Still, he was prepared to knock down walls if he had to. "Deuce, we need to.... " That was as far as he got.

"What are you doing here?" Kendall asked sharply, interrupting him.

Michael witnessed his previously panicked expression change to a resolute one. It wasn't exactly cold, but it was firm, and he reeled from it.

"We had an agreement, didn't we? You agreed. You said you understood. The distance. I need that, and you said you understood. Why are you doing this now? I'm finally getting somewhere with my life, and now you show up?"

Taken aback by the accusatory tone, Michael was at a temporary loss for words as they stared at one another. Fuck. Now what? "I'm... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shown up like this. You're right. This wasn't what... it wasn't fair... but, I think we need to talk. I mean I know we need to talk. I need to talk."

"Dammit, Ace! It's not about what you need. For God's sake, don't you get that? I can't let you back in to my life anymore... not right now. It fucks me up, and I won't go back to that. You don't understand what it's been like for me. Look... I'm finally ready to move on. I need to... and you have to just let things be. We've already done all the talking, and there's nothing more to say. Sorry, but I have to go." His near hysteria changed to sadness and resignation. "I'm sorry... I don't mean to be a dick, I really don't. It's just that I'm fighting for my life here... and I need you to understand...."

"I love you, Kendall. I need you to know that."

"Sorry, I really do have to go now. My ride's here." He looked past him to where Chet had parked his Jeep, and then looked back at Michael, a little more subdued. "I know you do, and that means a lot, it does, but it doesn't change anything. I have to go. Take care of yourself. And Michael, I know this is hard for you too, but please don't come by anymore. It hurts." He walked away quickly and got in the Jeep. Chet's curious eyes met his before he backed out of his spot and pulled away.

 

Michael was trying to understand why that had gone so bad. He didn't even remember getting back in the truck, but here he was behind the steering wheel, trying to recall the conversation. One thing for sure; he'd picked the wrong time to show up. Chet, that bastard, probably heard the whole thing. He was likely smug as shit. As he pictured the man's face as he drove out, though, he'd looked almost sympathetic. Yeah, sympathy for the loser. Michael's mind went to that place where he wondered how close they really were. The thought of them together both sickened him and pissed him off. He might be the loser today, but he wasn't going to give up. He and Kendall belonged together. But... oh shit... what if Kendall had really fallen for Chet. He had to admit the guy was extremely good-looking.

He couldn't handle the thought, until he heard his mother's voice in his head, and her parting words from early that morning. 'Bonnie boy, if he loved you a month ago, he's still going to love you months from now. One of the defining things about him is his loyalty. You know that... don't fret... you know what you want now, so go get it'. He had to have faith. His mom was always right. What she did for him this past weekend was further proof of that. She knew him better than he knew himself... and she knew Kendall.

He'd been sitting there long enough that he knew one of Kendall's employees would soon come out to ask why. Kendall ran a tight ship, something Michel was proud of him for. Instead of wallowing in disappointment after not getting hired on by a police force, despite impeccable qualifications, he'd gone ahead and carved himself out a hell of a career. Kendall made a lot more money than he ever would have as a cop, and Michael had always been in awe of what he'd achieved.

Pulling out of Kendall's workplace, he headed towards home. Socializing wasn't something he did anymore. He was tired of the wrong people hitting on him and he refused to ever use another woman again. He had always been a social animal in the past, but that was when he had the security of knowing his best friend was always there for him... like he was his other half. Now that he had allowed his feelings for the man to surface, there was no putting them back, and he couldn't go out and pretend everything was fine... that he was fine. He would grab some mindless action movie, order a pizza, and lick his wounds in solitude.

Turning into the parking lot of Video Video, he suddenly realized what his biggest mistake had been in talking to Kendall. He should have said he was in love with him; not that he loved him. He sat in his truck thinking about it. It soon became clear, though, it wouldn't have made any difference. With the state the man was in, he wouldn't have heard it, and if he did, he wouldn't have believed it because of the obvious fact he wasn't ready. Michael saw now what he'd actually done. He had ambushed the guy, in the worst place, at the worst time, and made a mess of it. Kendall couldn't be pushed, and he of all people knew that. Instead of beating himself up about it, he would just have to be smarter next time. If at first you don't succeed, try till you bleed. That works. It had to.

Feeling a little better about things, he finally picked a movie... "Pitch Black". It looked crazy enough to numb his mind for a while. He headed home after paying for his selection. Slowing down for the light ahead, Michael looked over in time to see Kendall and his new best friend heading into Rizzoli's Italian Palace, laughing as they were going through the door. Every precarious ounce of good feeling deserted him upon seeing them together. Rizzoli's was a place you would take a date to. Michael knew that from first-hand experience. The place was romantic, and much of their business was catering to couples. Were Kendall and Chet really together? He was instantly overcome with nausea, and knew pizza would not be happening tonight. Maybe at Rizzoli's, but not at his lonely apartment.


                                                                                                                                     @@@@@@@


"You can drop the act, Kendall. You don't have to pretend for me. We're friends, okay? You're pretty shook up and I don't mind talking about it."

"He just caught me by surprise. I'm fine, really. Maybe a glass of wine would be a good idea."

"It's more than that and we both know it. He couldn't have affected you like that if you didn't still love him. I told you there's no need to hide things from me. I'm a big boy."

Kendall looked at him and smirked. "You certainly are."

"Hey, have you been peeking?" Now Chet was smiling as he raised his eyebrows.

"About as much as you have, big boy." It felt good to be able to joke.

"Guilty," Chet confessed, and they were both able to laugh, breaking the tension Kendall had been feeling.

They went ahead and ordered their salads and entrees, both a little more relaxed. Each ordered a small glass of red to complement their choices and they settled back to chit chat, the seriousness temporarily forgotten. Halfway through their meal, Kendall posed the question that had been on his mind for quite a while. "Chet, what do you want from me? Sorry about being so blunt but I can't come up with any other words." He didn't know if this topic was wise to get into, but he couldn't have it hanging over their heads any longer.

Chet went to speak, and then hesitated. It was obvious he wanted to get this right. "I've been alone for more than a year now, and I'll admit I'm lonely. You're the first guy to pique my interest since... well, since somebody else. If you don't mind, I don't want to dwell on the past. The point is, I like you. I would someday like it to be more, but I'll settle for friendship. Okay, that's not what I meant. I'm not settling for your friendship. I really enjoy how we get along. You're a cool guy to hang out with. I like you and I respect you, and admit I'm crushing on you. But, I'm also not stupid. You're not ready... for me or anyone else. If you came on to me, as hard as it would be, I would turn you down, or at least I'd try."

Kendall chuckled at that, needing some humor at such an intense time.

"Hey, I'm not perfect, you know," Chet teased. "Seriously though, you are still deeply in love with Michael, and I'd be a damn fool not to see it. If you ever manage to move past it, I'm here... no pressure and no expectations. So my answer is that I don't want anything from you but what we already have, and that won't change unless you are over him. I know about loving someone who doesn't love you back, and I don't ever want that again."

"So you understand how badly I need to do just that? Get over him? He can never love me back either." Kendall became awfully interested in his cutlery at that point.

"Are you sure about that?"

Kendall looked back up. What was the man getting at? "What are you trying to say?"

It was Chet's turn to fidget. "Listen, Kendall... I might be cutting my own throat here, but I think you should talk to the guy, now that he's had some time. I don't think it's as cut and dried as you believe. I'm pretty sure he has feelings for you that go beyond friendship, and I've thought that from the first time I saw you guys together."

What the hell? Why was Chet doing this? Kendall was almost angry at his new friend's supposition. "Seriously?" He snorted as he set his fork down. "You couldn't be more wrong. Michael is straight with a capital S... the definition of a pussy hound. He has scored more times than Gretzky, and that isn't a joke. He has never, ever, shown any interest in me or any other guy that way. For fuck sake, man, you're off your rocker if you think Michael cares for me as anything more than a friend. That's almost funny." Only there was no amusement coming from Kendall when he was done. He winced at the despair in his own voice.

"Okay, fair enough. You know better than I do. Maybe you're right... but Kendall, I still think you should talk to him at some point. He seemed pretty desperate to speak to you today. I'm just saying... don't get pissed at me. I'll lay off now, and I'm sorry if it seemed like I was butting in. Are we good?"

"Yeah, we're good. To being good friends." Kendall raised his glass in a toast. He didn't want to think about talking to Michael. It hurt way too much to look at him and know he could never have him, never be loved by him. At that moment, the man's face came into view and he could picture him perfectly, and hear him say 'I love you, Kendall.' Too bad he didn't mean it the way he wanted him to.


                                                                                                                                   @@@@@@@@@@@

 

Michael couldn't get the running pictures of Kendall out of his mind. The compulsion to pick up the phone and call him was so strong that he had to get off the couch and walk around his apartment, clenching and unclenching his hands as he struggled to calm down. The sight of Kendall and Chet laughing and walking into Rizzoli's was pushing him towards irrational. He knew he had to chill out. They were just going to eat, for fuck sake. It wasn't like he saw them kissing or, God forbid, fucking. With that thought, he hurried to the toilet and emptied his roiling stomach. Fuck. This was a torture like nothing he'd ever experienced before. He had no idea what he should be doing... just that he had to do something. He had to fight. There was no way he was going to stand by and let Chet steal the man he loved away. God, he hated that name. It sounded like one of those guys from the old Gidget and beach movies Kendall had made him watch. Like Biff, or Chad, or that weird one they both laughed at... Moondoggie. Yeah, that was it. As Michael's stomach started to settle, so did he.

He thought about his mom, and what she would say. He could hear her in his head. The first thing she would say is that Moondoggie wasn't the issue. It was about regaining Kendall's trust, the right way. She would also tell him that it wasn't about her bonnie boy's pain; it was about Kendall's. He was in a world of hurt. He realized now that was the reason he'd acted the way he had when Michael had ambushed him. The panic was because he was hurting, not because he was pissed at Michael. Okay, he was pissed too, but more because he was caught off-guard.

So what was he going to do about it? He expected the man to trust him now, after letting him down so many times because he hadn't been able to let his true feelings surface, so how could he expect any less of himself? He had to have faith in his friend, the one he knew so well. He was fun-loving and spirited, but he wasn't impulsive, and he would have to trust that. He might be thinking about Chet as a partner, but the guy he knew would be slow to move on it. He sure as hell wouldn't use anyone. Moondoggie might be a threat, but he needed to believe he still had a chance at getting through to Kendall.

He sighed. In a perfect world, he would just tell him he was in love with him and that would be it. But it wasn't a perfect world. Kendall's shields were up, and a lot of damage had been done. In his eyes, Michael probably looked like the straightest guy in the world, and his lack of response to Kendall's declaration of love would appear to prove it. That had been his big chance and he'd blown it. It couldn't be his only chance, though. That conclusion was unthinkable. He couldn't deny the urgency he felt over it... he had to try again, and soon.

He wandered aimlessly around the kitchen, random thoughts hitting him in no particular order. He looked at Kendall's box of cereal in the cupboard. He'd always kept it around for him, back when he seemed to be here as much as he was. He used to joke with Kendall that it was like chewing whole acorns, it was so crunchy. Nature's Choice Muesli. Gross. It slowly occurred to him calling Kendall wouldn't have worked, anyway. He wouldn't have picked up, and Michael didn't want to leave a voicemail. He had to figure out a way for them to talk face to face, when Kendall would be in the right frame of mind to listen. He was probably still eating dinner with Moondoggie. Maybe he would be lucky and that guy would choke to death on something. Jeez... where was this coming from? Michael knew the hate he had for Chet was ridiculous, but the jealousy he felt overrode his logic.

Going back to the cupboard, he took down the unopened box of cereal gravel and contemplated it. What the hell. His stomach had settled down now, and he hadn't eaten anything since lunch. Grabbing the milk out of the fridge, he noticed the expiration date. Not good. Checking the fridge again, he came up with orange juice as the only option. Well, this should be interesting. And it was. Michael was surprised it actually tasted good... and eating Kendall's cereal made him feel closer to him somehow. He smiled to think he could never tell the man about this, though, or he would never live it down. While it really was tasty, he definitely needed to brush and floss after eating it.

Heading to the bathroom, he detoured to the bedroom and opened the drawer holding some of Kendall's stuff. He took out one of his older, well-worn caps and brought it up to his nose. There it was; that unique Kendall smell. He breathed it in deeply, and it filled him with a serenity and a determination to have the scent around him all the time again. He was actually humming to himself as he took care of the cereal gravel that had infiltrated his perfect teeth.

Michael could hear his phone alert go off out in the living room. Hoping Kendall had changed his mind about talking to him, he rushed out to grab it. Disappointment surged through him as he read the text from Coach telling him to be at Stouffville Arena on Saturday morning for the Gwillumbury Cup tournament. Fuck, what a letdown. Kendall changing his mind would have been too easy. He was tempted to text Coach and tell him he couldn't make it... a work excuse would do, but he would most likely be suspended or even booted off the team. Michael loved playing hockey, but his heart was no longer in it. He lay back on the couch, trying to clear his mind of the disappointment he still felt. He closed his eyes, and eventually relaxed, soon drifting towards sleep.

With a start, he jumped up. Something had just seeped into his brain... a possibility that things could be working in his favor. Grabbing his phone, he sent off a quick text to one of his teammates, and paced anxiously while waiting for an answer. It took ten long minutes before an answering text arrived. He knew he had texted the right guy when the information he requested showed up in the text. And there it was. Badgers. The Unionville Badgers were in the same tournament... his old team... Kendall's team! He would be at the same tournament. Unless he backed out when he found out Michael would be there. No, that wasn't Kendall. He would be there. He'd never let his teammates down. Not like a selfish-feeling Michael had just been contemplating. Hopefully, the spirits or whatever would align, and he would get his chance to talk to him. Maybe not about specifics, but at least he could try to set something up where they could have that talk. Kendall was always happiest when he was playing hockey.

Walking back to his friend's drawer, he stared into it thoughtfully. Lying to one side were two pair of hockey socks. Unless Kendall had bought new ones, he would need these if his team advanced. He always liked to change socks between tournament games. Should Michael call him and offer to bring them to him? No. He would wait to hear from him. Maybe Kendall would call and ask him about them if he knew Michael would be there too. If not, he would take them with him anyway, and that would give him an excuse to approach him. In five fucking days, he would have a chance. Was it safe to wait that long? The thought made him very nervous, and served to temper the hope and excitement he felt.

Michael felt drained by all the emotions swirling through him. The anticipation that had him flying that morning had ended up in a crash and burn. Now, he had the makings of a plan and some hope to go with it. Stripping, he headed for bed, sliding under the covers, holding onto some optimism as his thoughts settled on the handsome blond. It wasn't enough. He got back up and headed out through the darkened apartment to the hall closet. Reaching into the inky blackness, he found what he was looking for, and headed carefully back to his room. Sliding back into his big comfortable bed, he pulled the old hoodie up close to his face so he could breathe in Kendall's scent as he drifted into dreamland. It wasn't as good as the real thing, but it would have to do... for now.

Lightning Tim strikes again! He is my rock. Thanks to all who support and encourage me each and every day.
Please join us in the COTT forum... It's a lot of fun!
www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/39932-cards-on-the-table-by-headstall/
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 88
  • Love 25
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Oh Gary, this was such a great chapter! You made me cry (you know which scene) but I was still smiling through the tears by the end. Chet is a very insightful man, and a very good friend. Kendall is lucky to have met him. I was sad for Michael seeing Chet and Kendal together but I laughed about "moondoggie" hahaha. That green eyed monster can be so snarky! I loved that Michael needed the comfort of Kendall's scent on his hoodie to fall alseep. Things are starting to progress and now we get go watch Michael trying to get past Kendall's defences. I have a feeling that is not going to go a smoothly as Michael hopes.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I need the next chapter NOW...

Great chapter, I think I like Chet, blah, blah, blah....

I NEED THE NEXT CHAPTER !!!!!!!!!

First story author my ass, talented bastard who has me addicted more like it

just drop everything and write the next chapter... Please...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Not sure about this one, Gary. You turned Kendal into an ass and an idiot.

He may be hurting and it may have taken him a long time to make some hard decisions, but the way he treated Mikey when he saw him outside was nasty. Why would he be so dismissive of someone he supposedly loves? When has Michael ever treated him that way? He failed to show respect for the man he supposedly loves and viciously hurt him. NOT NICE.

And then you turned him into a complete imbecile. I already thought he was kinda flaky when he assumed Michael hated him when the man couldn't utter a word after having a nuclear bomb dropped on him. Fine, I'll ignore that and chalk it up to the shock of the moment. But in the light of how he feels he refuses to even consider the possibility of Chet's comments being true? What kind of asshole would do that? Had I been Chet I would have stood up and told dickhead he was not the type of man I was interested in. I'd want someone able to listen and not be dismissive of others.

Damn! I'd be real pissed at the man if he was real! Fucking Michael is a saint. I already mentioned before he might not be the brightest bulb but that heart of his makes up for it. All it took was one conversation with his mother and he saw the light. Poor guy gets dissed when all he's trying to do is correct his previous oversights!

I expect the real Kendall back in this chapter. You may dispose of this defective clone as you see fit!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I agree with Bucket1--I'm biting my fingernails waiting for the next chapter. I was really worried there at first thinking Michael might give up after Kendall's reaction to him, and that Kendall might go running into Chet's arms. But... whew... at least they both didn't do that. And Chet, poor guy, I really like him. He's so understanding, I think he'll be a great support for Kendall when he begins to realize Michael is serious about loving him--in the way he needs. Great chapter as usual!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Love or Obsession?? Kendall's impulsive, bizarre and over the top reaction to Michael's presence after nearly a month, and Michael feeling guilty and using words like "ambush" to describe his visit makes me wonder if these two have a snowball's chance in hell. They certainly will never lack for drama. I really like Michael but Kendall is suddenly "weird". Maybe Michael and Chet.........?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Fast work, Gary, and no suffering in the quality!

 

Okay, Kendall doesn't know what is going on in Michael's head, so I can cut him a bit of slack--but he was a real jerk in this chapter, and I wish Chet had called him on it in stronger terms. I guess Chet didn't do that because he wants in Kendall's pants...it's a shame because he seems like such a nice guy otherwise.

 

The last scene with Michael snuggled up with Ken's hoodie had my eyes brimming, but the anger at Kendall is still lingering. I hope this is art and not the real Kendall coming out.

 

Next please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hee. Well, every chapter so far has caused some strong reactions and this one is no exception, huh? I am fine with where we are. Kendall has been pining for Michael for SIX YEARS. He's got one month of independence behind him, hasn't done one unreasonable thing, hasn't leaped into bed with anyone, is taking step by cautious step, and then, HEEEEERE'S MICHAEL!!! I can totally see how he would be defensive. And just as I was impressed with Kendall for getting his feet under him and dealing with life alone, I'm impressed with Michael for not throwing a fit, just sniffing that sweatshirt :wub: and making his plans. I like these guys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter has received all types of reaction. I can see valid points to each. We want K&M to be together, sooner rather than later so Kendall's response was not what we want. It seems out of character ... but not really. He is usually well grounded not impulsive so his knee jerk response to unexpectedly finding Michael waiting outside his workplace seems out of character. However, he has himself so convinced that Michael can't return his love that he can't believe otherwise. As a result he panics when faced with seeing him. Kendall has had a month to establish a "new" Michael-free life. He recognizes that his love for Michael isn't diminished ... the thought of being around him, forced back into the past situation of unrequited love is terrifying. Hence his truly odd behavior. Of course I could be completely wrong ...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 04:03 AM, LitLover said:
Oh Gary, this was such a great chapter! You made me cry (you know which scene) but I was still smiling through the tears by the end. Chet is a very insightful man, and a very good friend. Kendall is lucky to have met him. I was sad for Michael seeing Chet and Kendal together but I laughed about "moondoggie" hahaha. That green eyed monster can be so snarky! I loved that Michael needed the comfort of Kendall's scent on his hoodie to fall alseep. Things are starting to progress and now we get go watch Michael trying to get past Kendall's defences. I have a feeling that is not going to go a smoothly as Michael hopes.
Thanks Lit, for a wonderful review. I'm glad you like Chet. he sees things clearly, you are right about that.I can be a very jealous person at times so I enjoy showing it in Michael.He is not used to it at all lol.Kendall is still a walking ball of hurt and Michael knows that. Those shields are tricky things to get through when we put them up. I love seeing Michael's determination to make things right. Thanks again...Cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 04:06 AM, Bucket1 said:
I need the next chapter NOW...

Great chapter, I think I like Chet, blah, blah, blah....

I NEED THE NEXT CHAPTER !!!!!!!!!

First story author my ass, talented bastard who has me addicted more like it

just drop everything and write the next chapter... Please...

LOL. Thanks for your enthusiasm, but in all honesty, the next one might be slower.I'll see.I don't mind you thinking I'm a bastard if you think I'm a talented one.Addicted is a good thing,right? Cheers, buddy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I get Kendall's reaction to Michael and his unwillingness to listen to Chet when he said that Michael may have deeper feelings for him. He's built his defenses and lived with the notion that Michael is straight for the entire time he's known him. To admit that Michael could possibly return his feelings would be painful beyond endurance if it turned out not to be true. Of course, we readers have the benefit of knowing the truth about Michael's feelings. I really like Chet. He's a great friend and a stand-up guy. The ending when Michael fell asleep with Kendall's hoodie was so sweet. Five days? I'd be going insane! Yet another great chapter, Gary. I can't wait to read more!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I guess I only need to ditto the reviews of Irri and dughlas, but let me add a bit.

I think Kendall had been convincing himself he was doing really well without Michael. Seeing him brought home how much he loved him and missed him and showed him how futile it was to tell him they couldn't be friends anymore. Thus all of the pain and effort was for naught. Must have made Kendall feel rather dumb and as a proud man who likes to be in control, it probably made him angry.

All of the above may have contributed to his refusal to listen to Michael, and he lashed out like a cornered and feral animal. Yet he knew it was wrong and tried to retract. When he has had time to think it over, he'll be ashamed of this behavior. Hopefully, it will make him act more rationally the next time Michael approaches him.

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 04:09 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Not sure about this one, Gary. You turned Kendal into an ass and an idiot.

He may be hurting and it may have taken him a long time to make some hard decisions, but the way he treated Mikey when he saw him outside was nasty. Why would he be so dismissive of someone he supposedly loves? When has Michael ever treated him that way? He failed to show respect for the man he supposedly loves and viciously hurt him. NOT NICE.

And then you turned him into a complete imbecile. I already thought he was kinda flaky when he assumed Michael hated him when the man couldn't utter a word after having a nuclear bomb dropped on him. Fine, I'll ignore that and chalk it up to the shock of the moment. But in the light of how he feels he refuses to even consider the possibility of Chet's comments being true? What kind of asshole would do that? Had I been Chet I would have stood up and told dickhead he was not the type of man I was interested in. I'd want someone able to listen and not be dismissive of others.

Damn! I'd be real pissed at the man if he was real! Fucking Michael is a saint. I already mentioned before he might not be the brightest bulb but that heart of his makes up for it. All it took was one conversation with his mother and he saw the light. Poor guy gets dissed when all he's trying to do is correct his previous oversights!

I expect the real Kendall back in this chapter. You may dispose of this defective clone as you see fit!

I appreciate the review, Carlos and I respect your opinion.Kendall seems very real to me, not mean or hurtful, just struggling to get through a tunnel that still looks dark at the end.He doesn't know yet that Michael has had his revelation, so he is still in defensive mode. I am sorry you don't like him or how I have portrayed him but I thank you for your opinion and the fact that you care. Your support has been truly appreciated. What you saw in this chapter was the real Kendall, but he is very stressed out. Life isn't going to plan and he is struggling.He needs to let those shields down that Michael talked about. Thanks and cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 04:54 AM, craftingmom said:
I agree with Bucket1--I'm biting my fingernails waiting for the next chapter. I was really worried there at first thinking Michael might give up after Kendall's reaction to him, and that Kendall might go running into Chet's arms. But... whew... at least they both didn't do that. And Chet, poor guy, I really like him. He's so understanding, I think he'll be a great support for Kendall when he begins to realize Michael is serious about loving him--in the way he needs. Great chapter as usual!
Thanks CM for a great review. Michael is more determined than ever. Kendall is in such a vulnerable state for a really strong guy, that I would worry for him if Chet wasn't there for him. Kendall is not an impulsive guy and he would never use Chet. It's up to Michael, as to whether he can get through to Kendall. I so appreciate that you support me ,CM...Cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 05:13 AM, sammiam said:
Love or Obsession?? Kendall's impulsive, bizarre and over the top reaction to Michael's presence after nearly a month, and Michael feeling guilty and using words like "ambush" to describe his visit makes me wonder if these two have a snowball's chance in hell. They certainly will never lack for drama. I really like Michael but Kendall is suddenly "weird". Maybe Michael and Chet.........?
Thank you sammiam for your review. It has been an interesting day.I think you made a good point in that it is both Love and Obsession. Kendall's love for Michael bordered on obsession because he knew it wasn't returned yet he stuck around. Michael realized three days ago that he was in love with Kendall...Kendall has no idea that that is even a possibility. Kendall's 'Weirdness" is fear of more pain...he has not been able to get over Michael like he thought he could...his plan isn't working...I hope you hang in there...these guys need to communicate...and Kendall has to let his shields down...they haven't been protecting him anyway..Thanks again...Cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 06:10 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Fast work, Gary, and no suffering in the quality!

 

Okay, Kendall doesn't know what is going on in Michael's head, so I can cut him a bit of slack--but he was a real jerk in this chapter, and I wish Chet had called him on it in stronger terms. I guess Chet didn't do that because he wants in Kendall's pants...it's a shame because he seems like such a nice guy otherwise.

 

The last scene with Michael snuggled up with Ken's hoodie had my eyes brimming, but the anger at Kendall is still lingering. I hope this is art and not the real Kendall coming out.

 

Next please!

Hey CG, Thanks for this.It turned out to be the wrong place at the wrong time, and now Michael realizes that..Kendall is struggling and seeing Michael hit him hard. I remember being in a bar with a friend when my ex came in looking for me...he wanted to talk...we had already done this...and I felt he wasn't respecting my wishes. Some of that was in here. Chet tried to talk to Kendall but there is so far no reason to believe Chet had a point. Kendall at this point can't let himself have hope...It's a shame but it's hard to open yourself up when you are reeling...a great review CG...Cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 06:11 AM, Irritable1 said:
Hee. Well, every chapter so far has caused some strong reactions and this one is no exception, huh? I am fine with where we are. Kendall has been pining for Michael for SIX YEARS. He's got one month of independence behind him, hasn't done one unreasonable thing, hasn't leaped into bed with anyone, is taking step by cautious step, and then, HEEEEERE'S MICHAEL!!! I can totally see how he would be defensive. And just as I was impressed with Kendall for getting his feet under him and dealing with life alone, I'm impressed with Michael for not throwing a fit, just sniffing that sweatshirt :wub: and making his plans. I like these guys.
Hey Irri! Needless to say, I love this review, and frankly I needed it.I am so glad you understand Kendall. Michael totally gets him and gets what he did wrong. I love Michael's determination to make up for not cluing in sooner.He is not about to turn tail and run. His mom's voice telling him it's not about his pain, it's about Kendall's...is really Michael understanding for himself...and I admit to doing the hoody thing...cheers and thanks xo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 07:58 AM, dughlas said:
This chapter has received all types of reaction. I can see valid points to each. We want K&M to be together, sooner rather than later so Kendall's response was not what we want. It seems out of character ... but not really. He is usually well grounded not impulsive so his knee jerk response to unexpectedly finding Michael waiting outside his workplace seems out of character. However, he has himself so convinced that Michael can't return his love that he can't believe otherwise. As a result he panics when faced with seeing him. Kendall has had a month to establish a "new" Michael-free life. He recognizes that his love for Michael isn't diminished ... the thought of being around him, forced back into the past situation of unrequited love is terrifying. Hence his truly odd behavior. Of course I could be completely wrong ...
No dugh, you are not wrong. You have it completely right. People are multi-faceted and you get that...we react differently according to many things, especially stress levels...and Kendall is stressed. His great plan to move on is failing miserably, and he's terrified. The love he feels is a part of him and it won't let go. That strength of love is why people can spend their whole lives together...A fantastic review dugh, thanks and cheers
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 08:50 AM, Valkyrie said:
I get Kendall's reaction to Michael and his unwillingness to listen to Chet when he said that Michael may have deeper feelings for him. He's built his defenses and lived with the notion that Michael is straight for the entire time he's known him. To admit that Michael could possibly return his feelings would be painful beyond endurance if it turned out not to be true. Of course, we readers have the benefit of knowing the truth about Michael's feelings. I really like Chet. He's a great friend and a stand-up guy. The ending when Michael fell asleep with Kendall's hoodie was so sweet. Five days? I'd be going insane! Yet another great chapter, Gary. I can't wait to read more!
EXACTLY! Thank you Val. I need you to write my responses. It is so wonderful how people care and express all these opinions. I just want my guys to be loved like I love them.Kendall's defenses have become his worst enemy but he doesn't know that.Five days...that's an eternity. cheers and thanks
  • Love 1
Link to comment

For me, the real hero here is Chet. Practical, big hearted, gracious, open with his feelings--he really deserves someone who's his equal. Shame that his quality isn't being recognized. IF the guys work it out, there's another story line out there waiting with Chet as the star.

Great chapter!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 08:56 AM, Timothy M. said:
I guess I only need to ditto the reviews of Irri and dughlas, but let me add a bit.

I think Kendall had been convincing himself he was doing really well without Michael. Seeing him brought home how much he loved him and missed him and showed him how futile it was to tell him they couldn't be friends anymore. Thus all of the pain and effort was for naught. Must have made Kendall feel rather dumb and as a proud man who likes to be in control, it probably made him angry.

All of the above may have contributed to his refusal to listen to Michael, and he lashed out like a cornered and feral animal. Yet he knew it was wrong and tried to retract. When he has had time to think it over, he'll be ashamed of this behavior. Hopefully, it will make him act more rationally the next time Michael approaches him.

You have amazing insight Tim. Kendall really is mostly angry at himself for the reasons you said. He thought his plan for distance would work, but he still sees it as his only option. Seeing Michael was proof that he didn't progress at all. Somehow he has to get past those defenses he has put up...they don't work anyway.He is a strong guy, and it's galling to him that he can't beat his feelings for a guy he believes is straight as they come. Thanks and cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 10:47 AM, Robert Rex said:
For me, the real hero here is Chet. Practical, big hearted, gracious, open with his feelings--he really deserves someone who's his equal. Shame that his quality isn't being recognized. IF the guys work it out, there's another story line out there waiting with Chet as the star.

Great chapter!

Great to hear from you Robert! Thanks for reviewing. There could be a method to my madness where Chet is concerned:). To me, he is a huge part of this story. Kendall was in a tough way when he walked away from his friendship with Michael and Chet has been a rock for him.Yet he has never tried to take advantage of the situation. He is a class act.Thanks for supporting me, my friend...Cheers
  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a great chapter, Gary. :)

 

I felt Michael's pain when Kendall just blew him off like that. But Michael's mom is very smart. It's so true that you can't just turn off an emotion like love just b/c you don't want to love the person anymore. It doesn't work like that. And as Irri said, Kendall has loved Michael for six years; that's a long time to be pining over someone. Especially someone you see every single day. Kendall's love for Michael will be there for a long time to come.

 

I like Moondoggie. Like the others, I think he'll be a good friend to Kendall, despite his feelings of wanting to be more than friends. And now he put that little seed of hope in Kendall by mentioning that maybe Kendall's wrong about Michael. Maybe Chet should have told Kendall that Michael going out with lots of women doesn't mean anything; it's obvious he hasn't found what he's looking for and he won't b/c he's only looking at women. Now Michael's eyes are open and he realizes what he's been missing in all of those relationships: Kendall. =)

 

I also loved the falling-asleep-with-hoodie scene. That was really sweet. :)

 

Terrific chapter, Gary! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter....but then everyone else has told you that already, right? After reading all the other reviews, I don't really have anything original to add. :funny: I really hope Michael's plan works. Awwww sleeping with the hoodie. That's just so sweet and hopeful. :wub: You're doing a wonderful job as a first time writer.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 01:17 PM, Lisa said:
What a great chapter, Gary. :)

 

I felt Michael's pain when Kendall just blew him off like that. But Michael's mom is very smart. It's so true that you can't just turn off an emotion like love just b/c you don't want to love the person anymore. It doesn't work like that. And as Irri said, Kendall has loved Michael for six years; that's a long time to be pining over someone. Especially someone you see every single day. Kendall's love for Michael will be there for a long time to come.

 

I like Moondoggie. Like the others, I think he'll be a good friend to Kendall, despite his feelings of wanting to be more than friends. And now he put that little seed of hope in Kendall by mentioning that maybe Kendall's wrong about Michael. Maybe Chet should have told Kendall that Michael going out with lots of women doesn't mean anything; it's obvious he hasn't found what he's looking for and he won't b/c he's only looking at women. Now Michael's eyes are open and he realizes what he's been missing in all of those relationships: Kendall. =)

 

I also loved the falling-asleep-with-hoodie scene. That was really sweet. :)

 

Terrific chapter, Gary! :)

Hey Lisa. Thanks for another great review.Chet is a really perceptive guy.He is not one hundred per cent sure of what he is seeing from Michael...if you remember from an earlier chapter, Chet noted that Michael didn't ping his gaydar, but Kendall did. We know what Chet is seeing is right...but Chet only has a strong suspicion.As michael said, Kendall can't be pushed, so Chet really did all he could. It's up to Michael.There are years of conditioning and swallowed down hope to get past and Michael did an amazing job of convincing the world he was straight because he made himself believe it as well.Kendall and Michael both have had a real tough day. Kendall now knows his plan to get over Michael isn't working, but to him there doesn't seem to be another option.Fortunately, Michael seems determined. Thanks for liking the chapter, Lisa. The hoodie scene was special for me too. It was a tough chapter to write so that gave me comfort. Cheers and thanks
  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..