Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 2,983 Words
  • 805 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Short Stories - 3. Just this once

This story is about a kid in history class, I remembered. I wondered if things were different. If he was given a second chance would we really become friends. Would it really matter, if we did?

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living, dead, space aliens, goats, or others are purely coincidental. There may be sexual content so if this, in any form, offends you, please cease reading. Also, if you are not of legal age to read this, please don't.

Copyright © 2008 by hh5

Just this Once

By HH5

 

The elevator doors open and out steps Dr. Jim Parson making his rounds at the Bronx Community Hospital - Mental Ward. He walks towards his fellow co-worker Dr. Paul Simpson handing him his morning cup of coffee.

Jim peering thru the door cell window, “So who do we have here?”

Paul just finishing taking his first sips of coffee says, “mmm … ahhh … this hits the spot … oh … Just another same old sad case but my guts says different?”

Jim noticing the dirty blonde kid wearing army kakis pants responds, “What’s the f*ck you’re so choke up? This kid isn’t so special? He’s just another f*ck punk kid that’s probably does meth drugs, steals car radios, goes to acid rock concerts, writes on trains and buses and probably dies at age 22 somewhere in the streets of NYC … His life is an open and shut case …”

Paul interrupted Jim quaint assessment, “No not this one, Jim. My guts tell me, he’s not what you think he is, he’s not like … the other ones … I say he’s a good kid …”

Jim squawks back, “Oh, but weren’t we all good kids at one time in our lives? …” Jim reviews the kids chart and bickers back at Paul “mmm … says here that he attack two Asian kids on two occasions and one of them got killed in a third occasion. He was found beaten and unconscious. It also says here that case is still under investigation …”

Jim concludes, “Ok, so we have two attacks and a homicide …”

Paul regretfully shoots back at Jim, “Do you think there’s a chance to saving this kid? It’s really a shame and a waste of life especial when it just a kid. I don’t care what he’s done … Jim, please man, and trust me on this one?”

Jim questions Paul, “I don’t know, Paul. Each case may look the same but … I can’t promise anything ... there may be nothing worth redeeming in this matter … Look, ok, I’ll take this case if you clear my schedule so I can work with this kid … if I find that this puck kid isn’t worth saving … I’ll drop him right into slammer like the others … ”

Jim blows his steam out of his mouth, “shheez … Open it up and give me oh 30 min before getting me, if it doesn’t look good.”

Paul opens the security door for Jim and nods in agreement but Jim sees a tear drop rippling down Paul’s cheek. Jim pats this friend on the back and walks in the cell.

Brian was very startled by Jim’s entrance. He ran to a corner to hide or rather not have to face his intruder. Brian did not want to be beaten up again; a normal reaction to any tall male adult.

Jim cautioned, “Wooo there, don’t be afraid. I’m here to help you. Please turn around, I’m not going to hurt you, ever …”

Jim motioned the kid to turn around, “I’m Dr Jim Parson and you are?”

The kid responded, “ahh … Brian”

Jim was pleased, “Brian … great we’re making progress … Now, Brian care to explain in your own words what got you here?”

Brian quickly responded, “No … “

Jim throws a challenging question back, “Why on earth not?”

“I don’t know” Brian didn’t want to answer directly how he felt because he usually gets abused whenever he does that. Brian knew being in a straight jacket makes him vulnerable to abuse.

Jim sarcastically answers, “Let me guess, you don’t trust me because I’m an adult, right”

“Yaa … duh …” Brian cringed a bit from his response. He was worried that Jim would take that response as defiance to authority and beat him.

Jim noticed that Brian didn’t mean to be so curt but it sort of came out like that. Jim decided to treat Brian like his kids. He pulls out his wallet and shows Brian a picture of his two kids. Brian gazes at the picture,“Well Brian, I have two kids around your age.” Brian wished his life was like that; just having a wonderful time,“They’re really wonderful kids.” Jim turned to another picture; one that Paul took showing both kids being consoled by Jim. Brian stares at it, “Whether their happy, angry, sad, or just having an ok day …” Brian flashbacks to when he was seven; his mom shielded him from his dad’s drunken fury. ”Brian, I’m always there for them.” Brian snaps out of it with many tears flowing down his cheeks. ”In my professional life … It’s just more of the same … I am here for you, son … I’m here to listen to what you have to say … Please give it a try sport … Really … Honest …”

Brian had been through a lot in his life especially being abused for many years by his father; His spirit all but gone from the years of abuse. Brian needed to get his guilt and troubles off his chest before he goes ballistic or seriously ill; his mental armor broke down. Jim made kind and gentle face that made Brian cry. Jim notices and hugs him; he strokes Brian back and head like he would do for his own children when they are having a crappy day. Brian started to settle down.

Brian took a deep breath and sigh with tears running down his cheeks, “It was history class. The teacher was late showing up as usual. I was just doing what I want; just doing my art to pass the time. Raymond, one of two Asian dudes has been bugging me at the start of class before the other Asian kid got to class. I tried ignoring him but he didn’t get the message so after 3 days, I snapped and gave him whack in the face. The other Asian kid, Mathew, walked in and saw it. He checked Raymond out and he said something to me that made me snap.”

Jim noticed Brian regretted his actions, “On Friday after class, I decided to jump Mathew. I wanted to make him pay for what he said to me. So I slammed him to the ground by letting his backpack bring him down. As I was trying to get on top of him to beat the crap out of him; he rams me hard with his recoiled legs and made his exit; the stairs. I got up and managed to barely knock him off balance while he made the run for. I only got him to slide down the first landing and then he was gone. I figured he went to the admin office on the first floor. I just high tailed it out of another exit in the school.”

Jim again noted that Brian was starting to hyperventilate and interrupt Brian to calm down but Brian continued, “My mom got the call from the school and I was lucky. If dad had gotten the call I would have been history. Mom and I argued about what happen and she told me if I don’t show up that she would tell dad immediately. I had no choice but to meet the principal. So on Monday, the principal wanted me and the Mathew to have a talk. Apparently, the principal gave me two choices either get expelled or make a friend. The principal sent us to school counselor and we all had a chat. The counselor said that we kids are going spend the time today to learn to be friends; supervised of course. So we start to talk to each other. It was heated and we almost started to fight. Counselor managed our anger and we both cried and then we apologized to each other. The counselor had us do some activities with each other. I guess to make us friends or something. We did all kinds the things for a week. We restocked up the school supplies room, and other clean up in the school. We played some games and played some sports. By the end of the week, he became my best friend. I never had a friend that was as good as him. I did everything to intimidate him to back the f*ck off. I told him during all that time; I don’t need a friend. He didn’t back off. I just couldn’t figure out why?”

Jim interrupted, “So why did u decide to take Mathew as a friend”

Brian explained, “I don’t know Dr Parson. I guess he grows on you. I mean. He’s doesn’t look like he going to attack you in the next minute. He just wants to be a friend. I had a lot of bad days and he just listens to my crap and then cries and hugs me and tells me that he’s here for me. He told me his crap and as I listened to his … I couldn’t believe that he has a life just like mine … I couldn’t believe it … until he cried nonstop in front of me … I don’t know what came over me … I hugged him … I told him I promised to watch his back. I told him I was sorry that he had a crappy life like mine and that I didn’t know we shared a lot in common.”

Jim responded, “So did you guys actually become good friends??”

Brian continued, “Well, the counselor was so excited that we made good progress, the counselor recommend that I not be expel me and release me on a two week trial basis. Both of us went back to our regular school schedule. We had a lot of homework to make up. So Mathew talked to me about all the homework we had to make up. We started talking about the classes; what classes I was good at and what classes he was good at. We decided to do it together and help each other and we did. It took us two weeks to get all caught up but we also had fun. The principal received reports from my teachers that I had made so much progress that they recommend I not be expelled.”

Brian sigh at his memory of Mathew,“Mathew and I continued to help each other; I never had a brother. If I ever wanted one; it would be Mathew in a heartbeat. We had sleepovers and shared each other chores. I got to walk and play with his dog. Gosh, it was the best of times for me and I bet it was for him. Well it was a perfect life for both of us … Until … I fucked it up …”

Jim was surprised, “What happen?”

Brian reacted, “One day during the sleepover at my place. We wrestled each other. I suddenly got confused. I just started really hitting him a few times until he went down. I finally came out of my confusion when I had beaten him.”

Jim interrupted, “Brian that’s blind rage … “

Brian was surprise, “Oh shit that’s what that was?”

Jim encourages Brian to continue, “Yes Brian … Did that end your friendship?”

Brian answered, “I didn’t realize that I had this blind rage in me when I get into any kind of fight even if it’s a play fight. It’s like I come out of this bad dream and then I saw him …

Mathew was balling out his eyes crying and in pain. I hurt my best friend. Dr Parson. I suddenly felt regret for what I had done for the first time in my life. It wasn’t easy for me to care about anyone but I didn’t want to lose Mathew because I was so f*cking stupid. I didn’t know what to do. So I hugged him and held on to him and I told him I was so sorry and I really didn’t mean it. I kept on holding him and telling him I love him and then it happen, I kissed him. He stared at me for a long while. Trying to figure out what happen. He saw he saw my raging tears; he saw that I was so sorry for what I done.

He kissed me back. Dr Parson. He forgave me for my f*cking stupidity. I knew from then on Mathew was really my best friend but it was something more. We got intimate. Every day that we had the chance to spend time with each other; we did stuff. We never felt so much love for each other.”

Jim interrupted, “Brian, are you GAY?”

Brian continued, “I don’t know Dr Parson. All I know is I love Mathew. It’s like we’re meant for each other. We see each other as the only ones that care about each other. No one would ever care about me like Mathew does. And there is no one in the world that would care about Mathew like I do. The only thing wrong was … no one really understood us.

One day his dad caught us and I got sent home and he got beaten. My dad got a call from his dad and I got the same punishment. For a long while, we didn’t see each other except for history class. So one day I called him. I told him I missed him and we had to meet. So we did. I told him what happen to me and I showed him my bruises. He told me what happen with him and he showed me his bruises. We both cried in each other arms for a long while until we couldn’t cry anymore. It was getting late so we both went home.

After things cooled down a bit, we got back together but kept our affections a secret from our parents. It was hard. We loved each other very much. But we started to make some mistakes and our parents were getting suspicious of what we’ve been up to. We both panic because we didn’t want to get punished again. So we decided to run away together.”

Jim questioned, “Why runaway Brian?”

Brian continued, “I don’t know Dr Parson. Brian and I couldn’t take the idea of losing each other. We love each other. We both realized that we didn’t want to be separated ever again nor punished for just loving each other.”

Jim questioned again, “So where did you go?” Brian didn’t want to speak further. It was something he didn’t want to remember ever again. Jim convinced Brian that he’s has to continue for Mathew’s sake.

Brian regretfully continued, “We got pretty far hitch hiking. We found an abandon building we could stay. After a while we got settled, trouble began. A street bully found us in our building. He spied on us and found out about us. He was angry. He picked on Mathew and started beating him and raping him. I tried to stop the bully but he was too big for me. He pulls out a knife and I got my hands on a beam. I hit him hard but I was too late for Mathew. The bully lost his knife so he started beating on me. All this time Mathew was bleeding to death. I had to do something and I did. I lead the bully away from him and the bully followed. I did a duck and cover right in his midstep and sent him tumbling down a broken staircase and heard a splash. His leg hit me hard and broke a couple of ribs. Part of my lungs collapse. I was having hard time breathing. But I needed to get back to Mathew. So I crawled to him; I told him I love him before he died and I passed out. A wrecking crew found us and then all you know now is history.”

Jim was proud of Brian but realized his own mistake, “Brian I am so sorry about Mathew. I didn’t know the whole story until now. I promise; I am going to help you through this.”

Brian was in disbelief and was looking forward to take whatever consequences for his sins, “I don’t know how you’re going to help me Doc. When Mathew died; I died. Life does matter much anymore. I lost my best friend in the world. I f*cked it up and I deserve to die!!!!” Brian started to morn and cry for the lost of an irreplaceable companion.

Jim realized that this kid needed serious help, “Don’t give up Brian. You have to get better for Mathew. He would have wanted you to live. I promise I will help you. I won’t give up, just like Mathew wouldn’t. I’ll cover your back.”

Brian still crying looks up, “Dr. …”

Jim interrupted, “No Doc … No Dr … No Mr. … No Sir … its Jim ... Just Jim … I’ll be seeing you soon…”

Brian showed a glimmer of hope in his face, “Jim Thanks for listening …”

Jim exited the cell room in tears.

Paul asked, “How did it go?”

Jim hugs Paul and stares at Paul, “Quite well actually. I think we may be able to save this one. Good Wishing, Paul … Please work out my schedule for this kid please”

Paul smiles and nods to his friend, “Thanks Jim … Just this once … Have dinner with me … you know to celebrate a victory??”

Still I wonder if it was really worth writing this story. Look what happen. I can't accept someone going to tell me if it did happen or didn't - Thats Life.

Either way its a shame that's what we call life.

Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..