Jump to content
    *HJ*
  • Author
  • 1,646 Words
  • 5,350 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Always - 1. Cars and Chicks

Disclaimer: The following is a work of fiction. All characters and events a purly fictional. Any resemblance to real events or people is pure coincidence.

It was two-thirty in the morning and Drew Knight was still awake. Jane walked over to her son and rested her arms over his shoulders, letting her long, curly, red hair fall into her face.

“Couldn‘t sleep?” she asked.

Drew shook his head as he placed the book face down on the table and ran his fingers through his dark, messy hair.

Jane looked down at the title of the novel that laid face down on the round, mahogany, table.

“That’s a wonderful book. What made you want to read it?” Jane asked as she sat down in one of the wooden chairs beside him.

“I couldn’t sleep. I finished my last one and I found this one in one of the boxes in the living room.” Drew said as he yawned.

“I couldn‘t sleep either…Do you think it could be hereditary?”

“Yeah it’s a possibility,” Drew said with what almost seemed like a hint of the smile she once knew.

Jane looked at the clock that hung over the door that led into the living room and then shot a wary glance at her son.

“I guess I should get to bed,” Drew said as he rose from the table.

“The principal called yesterday morning and said he wanted to give you time to ‘adjust’,” Jane said using air quotes.

Drew rolled his emerald eyes in disgust.

“We just got here a few days ago and they already know.” His tone was one of irritation.

“Drew, we cannot keep people from knowing who we are. It’s just simply unavoidable. I know you had gotten used to the story being dormant for awhile, but with my discharge from the hospital you knew it would resurface sooner or later. The story has already aired on the national stations as well as local news stations here in Kansas.”

“Yeah, I know, but it was nice not being seen as the son of an evil bastard,” Drew said frowning. “He doesn’t deserve to be seen as my father let alone a human being.”

“I know that, but if it makes you feel any better I told the principal not to make any formal announcements. Therefore, the only things people will know is what they watch on the news.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Drew said as he turned to go to his room.

“Before you head up to bed I want to give you something. I was going to wait till the morning to do this but,” Jane let her sentence dangle as she smiled brightly at her son.

“What?” Drew said turning to face her.

Jane walked across the kitchen and ducked out the door to the living room. Drew followed behind her and watched as she walked over to the sofa where her purse sat. She reached into the small black bag and retrieved a silver gift box. Jane walked back over to Drew and handed him the box. Drew, with a confused look opened the small box, and as he lifted the lid he exposed a silver key.

“I had been saving money to get you a car for a couple years, and before we left Washington I had asked your friends what kind of car you liked and when we were in L.A I found a guy who sold me a 69 Camaro for six thousand. It’s only had one other owner, and very low mileage. Well, I just had it sent over and its outside in the garage.” Jane smiled brightly

Drew didn‘t smile. “Mom, you shouldn’t have spent all that money on a car for me, I can ride the bus to school.”

“Well, I already did and you deserve that car, he should have gotten you one a long time ago. Anyhow, the job I got at the hospital pays real well, and we have plenty of money. Besides, I didn’t want my son riding the bus his senior year of high school. You are eighteen today after all.”

“Can I go see it?” the corners of Drew’s mouth turned upward.

“Yeah, go!” Jane said rushing him out the front door.

Drew went out the front door and opened the garage door. As he came face to face with his vintage raven black Camaro, Drew could not help but hug his mom. He circled it and then opened the driver side door and sat down.

“Mom, you really shouldn’t have done this. It even has a CD player.” Drew said running his hand over the dashboard.

“I had that put in extra, because I know how much you love your music.”

Jane was standing at the garage door watching her son look over his new car. Not even a new car can get a smile out of him, she thought to herself.

“Thank you.” Drew said as he got out of the car.

“You’re welcome, but you better get to bed it’s almost three in the morning.”

“I am going to start school in the morning.”

“Well, then you have to get up early, and I want straight A’s for this.”

“It’s a deal.” Drew wrapped his arms around his mom tightly. Then after a short moment he let go.

“Okay, go to bed.”

“Night…” Drew said as he kissed Jane once more before going back into the house.

“Night sweetheart…”

Jane walked to the garage door and stood looking at the car she had bought her son, and for a second, thought that it may be the last one she would buy for this certain occasion. For a brief moment she let her fears get the best of her and a single tear streamed down her face. Then, jumping back into reality, she quickly switched off the light and went back into the house.


The next morning Jane woke up and put on a pot of coffee as usual. Drew came strolling down the hall in his boxers like he always did, kissed his mom on the cheek and proceeded to the fridge.

“What have I told you about drinking from the carton?” Jane asked, crossing her arms.

Wiping his mouth with his arm he replied, “Sorry Mom; won’t happen again.”

“Yeah, sure it won’t. You better go get dressed or you’ll be late for your first day, and you know you can’t deprive all those girls of seeing you in that car.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t want to do that,” Drew said closing the refrigerator door with a slight frown.

“This is nice,” Jane said leaning against the counter, waiting for her coffee to brew.

“What is,” Drew asked pouring some orange juice into a glass.

“Us, this. We haven’t been able to do this for so long.”

“Yeah, it is.”

They were both quiet for awhile. Drew wondered if his mom was noticing his effort to try and be like his old self.

“You know I’m thinking we should set Jordan’s room up, you know, just in case.” Jane was looking out the window.

“I was wondering when you were going to bring this up. I’ll help you after school today when you get off work.” Pain flickered in Drew’s eyes.

Jane nodded, and the look in his eyes did not escape her. Drew felt his heart sink as she turned her face away from him.

Drew attempted to lift her sprits. “They’ll find him, mom, it’s only been eight months, it took him a year to find us.”

“I know but I can’t help but wonder what he is going through. You know what he did to me, just imagine what he could do to Jordan.”

Jane once again let her fears get the best of her and she couldn’t help feeling like a failure in front of her son. She dropped to her knees and cradled her face in her hands and wept.

Drew walked over and knelt down next to her, hugging her, “Mom, Jordan can take care of himself, he knows how to defend himself.”

“I don’t understand why he didn’t take you when he took Jordan. Why didn’t he take you too?”

“Because, he was afraid of me, he knew I would expose him for the coward he is. Besides, I could have easily restrained him, but Jordan isn’t as strong as him and he needed someone he could control. I never told you this either, but do you remember the time he came home really beat up and told you he got into a fight at work?”

Jane nodded once.

“Well, the truth is that Jordan and I were walking home, he was drunk and he saw us. He stopped and told us to get in the car. I told him that it would be a bad idea, and he got out of the car and tried to grab Jordan and I punched him, after watching him hurt you, I just couldn’t stop hitting him.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you knew,” Jane said taking his face into her hands.

“I didn’t want you to worry. You have done enough of that.”

Jane pulled Drew into her arms and gave him a hug, “I’m glad you’re my son,” she said.

“Me too, Mom.”

“You need to go get ready or you’re going to be late,” Jane said, helping him up while wiping away her tears.

“Alright, I’ll see you after school.” Drew said as he turned to go to his room.

“Alright.” Jane poured coffee in her thermos.

Drew knew that his depression made his mother unhappy, but he was doing the best he could. Every morning he woke up and tried to act like his old self but he never could seem to pull it off. Life to him had become bleak and meaningless. He knew his mother was unhappy and he knew it was his fault. He blamed himself for everything and all he wanted to do was to make it right.

a href="http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/27336-always/page__pid__367324#entry367324">Questions? Concerns? Comments?
Copyright © 2013 *HJ*; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's a great story, really great and I am going to read every word, but did you know you've posted the chapter twice.

Link to comment
On 01/23/2011 10:56 PM, Nephylim said:
It's a great story, really great and I am going to read every word, but did you know you've posted the chapter twice.
No i didn't. Thanks for telling me!
Link to comment
On 02/19/2011 03:28 PM, Jon T Lappin said:
I really like the beginning of this. It's unique and has an interesting feel to it. I'll definitely be reading it all!!
Thats wonderful! I'm happy to hear!Hugs,Holly
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..