Jump to content
    *HJ*
  • Author
  • 3,088 Words
  • 3,092 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Always - 12. Settling Down

Edited :)

Drew saw that he had really done a number on David’s face. His left eye was swollen, his jaw was an absolute mess and there were small cuts that speckled his face.

Drew looked from David to Luke and could almost feel the fear engulf Luke’s body.

"Come on, everything will be okay,” Drew said, placing his hand on Luke’s back once more.

As they began walking, Drew let the hand fall back to his side. All the while he was keeping his eyes on David, who was arguing with the head nurse. He didn’t even notice them as they walked out.

After seeing David in the hospital, Drew kept scanning their surroundings, wary for trouble. He even checked the reflections bouncing off the shiny exteriors of the cars in the parking lot to make sure they weren’t being followed.

"Are you okay?” Drew asked.

Luke just nodded as he tried to hide his shaking hands from Drew. Drew wasn’t fooled. When they reached his car Drew put his hands on Luke’s shoulders, and looked him in the eye.

"Everything is going to be okay. You’re safe. I promise. Besides, did you see what I did to his face?”

Luke smiled as Drew tousled his hair, and then opened the door to help him into the car.

Drew swung by the local drugstore, and dropped Luke’s prescription off at the window to be filled while they were picking up Luke’s things.

Luke guided Drew though town to the fancy estate his uncle lived in. He navigated him to one of the larger houses. It sat near center of the estate, and was built from not bricks, but cultured stone. The front porch had pots of flowers and wind chimes serving as the décor, along with a set of white wicker furniture, and a beautiful red oak porch swing. The stone path, leading up to the house, was lined with perfectly trimmed bushes. On either side of the red oak steps, lining the porch, were flower beds. Each was filled with pebbles, numerous amounts of flowers, and bushes; each placed in the perfect place to complement the house.

"Where should I park?” Drew asked stopping on the street, in front of the house.

"Just pull in the driveway, and we’ll go in.” Luke said.

Drew did as he was told and parked the car in the driveway beside the stone walkway. He turned off the car and hurried to the passenger door to help Luke. As he helped him out of the car Luke’s face twisted with the pain of his ribs.

"Is it hurting badly?” Drew asked shutting the car door with his foot.

"I’ll be fine,” Luke grimaced as they walked up the path. “Let’s just get my stuff and get out of here. The door should be open.”

"Alright, can your knee handle the stairs?”

"Yeah, just don’t let me fall.”

Drew put an arm around Luke’s waist, and Luke leaned into him as he put his arm around Drew’s shoulders. Luke wasn’t about to let Drew know exactly how much pain he was in as he climbed the steps to the front door. His ribs were throbbing, and it hurt when he breathed, but that didn’t even compare to pain of his healing stab wound. When they entered through the front door Drew found himself standing in a lavish foyer. They were standing on luxurious white marble tile in a round shaped room surrounded by majestic art and an immense winding stair case.

"Damn, how much does your Uncle make as a doctor?” Drew asked looking around.

"He and my father were trust fund kids,” Luke said bleakly.

"Well, where is your room?”

"The basement. Go through the archway, and the stairs are the first door on the left. They lead right down into my room.”

"Alright, I’ll be right back. Just sit tight.”

Luke nodded as Drew lowered him down on the first step of the staircase before he hurried off down the archway.

Drew opened the door that led to the basement, and began descending down the white carpeted stairs. The walls were beige and it all opened up into a large space with the same white carpeting from the stairs. There was a single twin bed sitting up against the furthest wall and next to the stairs sat two duffle bags, of what appeared to be clothes, and a single cardboard box labeled Luke’s.

"Bastard already packed his things,” Drew muttered as he swung the bags over his shoulder and grabbed the box.

He shut the door to the basement behind him and walked back into the foyer. Luke’s head was leaning up against the banister and his eyes were closed.

“Hey, are you ready to go?” Drew asked.

"Yeah,” Luke said pulling himself up by the banister.

"Let me go put this stuff in the car, and then I’ll come back and help you.”

Luke nodded while grabbing his ribs.

Drew ran out to the car with the stuff, and quickly crammed it into the small trunk. He slammed down the trunk, and opened the passenger side door with an express purpose in mind. He jogged back into the foyer where he found Luke still standing by the staircase. His eyes were closed tight, and pain clearly marked his face.

"Come on,” Drew said, as he lifted Luke up into his arms.

With his head resting on Drew’s shoulder, and his arms around Drew’s neck, Luke asked, “What are you doing?”

"Carrying you to the car,” Drew smiled.

"Why?”

"Because, you’re hurting and walking to the car would only cause you more pain. I should have come in by myself. I would have been able to find your room.”

"Drew,” Luke whispered.

"Yeah?”

"Thank you.”

Drew lifted Luke down into the passenger seat, and buckled him in. Before closing the car door Drew smiled and said, “Don’t mention it.”

He jogged around the driver side and in a matter of seconds they were pulling out of the driveway heading toward home.

"So, what do you want for lunch?” Drew asked, trying to distract Luke from the obvious pain he was in.

"Drew…it hurts,” Luke whispered.

Drew looked over at Luke who was stiff and clutching the door with one hand and the seat with the other. Drew’s heart leapt into his throat at the sight of Luke’s pain, and he stepped on the gas.

The prescription was ready when Drew pulled up to the window. Luke signed for it with a shaky hand. Quickly, Drew parked, and ran in to grab Luke a bottle of water so he could take the pill on the way home. Luke was grateful, and took the pill as soon as Drew handed him the bottle of water.

When Drew pulled into the driveway Luke was still in pain, but not nearly as bad. Drew jogged over and opened the front door before running back to the car to get Luke.

"Hang on,” Drew said as he lifted Luke out of the car.

"I don’t know how you’re doing this,” Luke whispered.

"What?” Drew asked as he closed the door with his foot.

"Carrying me. I weigh just as much as you do.”

"Don’t worry I’m built for this stuff.”

"You say that now, but just wait until you pull something,” Luke said.

"Hey, if I pull something then you can take care of me, but until then I’m taking care of you.”

Drew lowered Luke onto the couch, and threw the afghan that normally hung across the back over Luke.

"I’ll be right back,” Drew said, as he jogged into the kitchen.

Luke lay on the couch, and looked around at what he would now be calling home. Despite the twisting pain in his abdomen and the jagged pain in his ribs he couldn’t help but feel slightly happy. It was almost as if he felt like he had a reason to want to live now. He closed his eyes and concentrated on that small feeling of happiness as the pain killer began to take full effect. About the time that he closed his eyes, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"I’m going to go get your stuff, and I will be right back,” Drew said.

Luke nodded, and Drew made his wait out the front door.

As Drew unloaded Luke’s stuff from his trunk he saw who he thought was a neighbor standing at the end of the drive.

"Young man? Do you live here?” The old woman asked.

"Yeah,” Drew replied shutting his trunk with his elbow. “My mother and I just moved in a few weeks ago.”

"Oh, who was that you were carrying in?”

"Luke McGowan. He is also moving in with us.”

"Oh, he’s a good boy. Just misunderstood that’s all. His mother was a gem. It is a shame she left us so quickly,” the woman said.

"It’s nice to know not everyone is against him. Are you our neighbor?”

"Yes I live right down the road. I’m Mrs. Stevenson.”

"It’s nice to meet you. I’m Drew Knight.”

"Tell your mother to come by sometime and introduce herself,” The old woman said before walking off.

"Sure thing,” Drew called after her before heading back into the house.

As he entered he saw that Luke was asleep. He tip-toed pass him, and made his way to his own room. He sat Luke’s stuff in front of the closet and went to turn down the sheets of his bed. He wasn’t too crazy about sleeping on the futon, but he knew that Luke needed to sleep on something other than the rock hard slab that was the futon.

After turning down the sheets on the bed, Drew headed back to the living room. Luke was still asleep and Drew contemplated carrying him to the bed, but decided not to wake him. Instead, he went into the kitchen to fix lunch. He had a craving for a turkey sandwich and the pang of hunger in his stomach was becoming too much to handle. Like a typical teenage guy making a sandwich he began throwing stuff out of the fridge on the counter.

Drew never put just turkey on a turkey sandwich. He piled on the turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo along with bacon, and spicy mustard. As he threw together two sandwiches he caught himself humming to himself. He stopped right in the middle of spreading the spicy mustard on the bread and smiled to himself. He hadn’t hummed a song in so long that it caught him off guard. He laughed and continued what he was doing. When he finished he put one sandwich in the fridge, and took a large and satisfying bite out of the other as he made his way back into the living room.

He sat down in the chair beside the couch where Luke dozed, and flipped on the television. He lazily flipped through the channels looking for something remotely interesting to watch. He settled on a hockey game between two teams he had never heard of before.

While Drew watched TV Luke continued to dream in his sleep. His dreams were uneasy, frightening almost. He knew nothing was concrete or real, but he couldn’t seem to pull himself back into reality. Dark figures jumped at him, and ran after him. He found himself running into darkness surrounded by trees. As he was running he realized someone deep in this forest like place was calling for help. Over and over, “Help! Someone help me. Help him!”

Luke was deep in his subconscious now. He began to run toward the sound. “Help! Someone help!” Then Luke came to a stop when he realized the voice belonged to David. Luke stood there motionless as he looked at David. He was kneeling in the darkest part the forest holding Tyler’s lifeless body across his lap. The irises of David’s eyes were blood red as he looked up at Luke. Luke took a step back as he looked into David’s eyes.

"Why? Why did you do it?” David asked red tears falling from his eyes.

"Do what? David, you killed Tyler!” Luke screamed.

As soon as the words left Luke’s mouth David’s evil figure threw Tyler’s body away from him and lunged toward Luke. Fear shot all through Luke’s body as he turned to run. Then he saw Drew with his arms open wide standing in front of him. He crashed into him. Drew arms closed around him like a safety net.

"Wake up, I’m here.” Drew’s voice was soft and gentle.

Luke looked up at Drew’s face, “Wake up, Luke!” This time Drew’s words were loud and frantic. Luke fell back into reality. He found himself in Drew’s arms on the couch.

Luke realized everything had just been a bad dream. He wrapped his arms around Drew tightly.

"Are you alright? What kind of pills did Mom give you?” Drew asked still holding him tight.

"It was so real. David…Tyler…David he was crying blood and he was holding Tyler. He kept asking me why I killed him.”

"It was just a dream.”

"He was chasing me and then you just came out of nowhere and I ran into your arms. I was safe.”

"You will always be safe with me. I promise.”

Drew didn’t realize that he had let his eyes close while he was holding Luke. He also didn’t realize that his hands were moving up and down Luke’s back, and instead of moving away quickly he slowly leaned back so he could look into Luke’s eyes. It happened again. Their eyes locked. Drew felt the screaming urge to kiss him, and he didn’t know how he was going to stop himself this time.

Luke broke eye contact, and Drew released him. He sat back away from Luke awkwardly not knowing what to say. Both knew what almost happened…again. Drew knew he should say something, but he didn’t know what. He got up and retreated into the kitchen.

"What am I going to do?!” Drew screamed in his head. “I can’t be gay! But his eyes…that voice. He is so incredibly wonderful. What am I going to do?”

"Drew! Get in here!” Luke yelled frantically.

Drew bolted out of the kitchen and ran over to Luke.

"What? What is wrong?” Drew asked startled.

"Please, tell me that that is not real and those pain pills are fucking with my mind,” Luke said as he pointed to the door that led to the garage.

Drew looked to where he was pointing, and there laid a red snake with yellow and black stripes.

"Holy Fuck! Oh my god what do I do?” Drew yelled.

"I don’t know man!”

"Shit, come here.”

Drew scooped Luke up in his arms and quickly carried him into his room. He laid him down on his bed, and began rumbling around in his closet. He came up with an iron golf club.

"I’ll be right back,” Drew said holding the golf club at the ready.

"Be careful,” Luke said seriously.

Drew nodded and opened the door.

"And Drew…don’t hurt it.”

Drew quickly hurried out the door, and Luke was left to wait. He didn’t wait long. Drew came back in not a minute later with the golf club in hand, and leaned up against the door.

"Did you get rid of it?” Luke asked.

"No, I went out there but it was gone,” said Drew, breathless.

"Gone? Gone where?”

"I don’t know, gone.”

Drew climbed up on the bed next to the wall with his golf club in hand. Both looked blankly at the door. Both hoped not to see the snake slither under it.

"I hate snakes,” Drew finally said.

"Yeah, me too,” Luke replied.

Drew paused a minute, then turned to Luke and smiled.

"Don’t hurt it,” Drew said.

Luke rolled his eyes.

"It was probably just as scared as you. Besides, I don’t like hurting living things. Even if it is a snake.”

Drew paused a moment and looked over at Luke.

"Is that why you won’t fight back when it comes to David? I mean if it were me I would have confronted him by now,” Drew said.

Luke kept his focus on the door as he spoke.

"After Tyler’s death, when David did his one eighty on me, I tried talking to him. He was my best friend. I knew he was mad at me when I stood up for Tyler, but I never thought that he would hate me for trying to defend someone. He never would speak to me, and then he told my father that I was…that I was gay. David tried to take my life from me. He destroyed my body. In spite of all of that I can’t bring myself to kill him. I say kill because I know if we ever do come face to face, just me and him, death for one of us would be the only option.”

"I’m sorry. I don’t know what losing your best friend is like. I guess because I never had one. Don’t get me wrong I had friends, but they normally just wanted the face in the paper or they were interested in what I could pay for. You can’t be the son of a state senator, and a state boxing champion and have friends I guess. Even though I never had a best friend I do however know what it’s like to have your life ripped out from under you. I do know what it is like to lose people you care about.”

"Drew, you know that you have friends now, right?”

Drew looked over at Luke with a confused expression, “What?”

"Jeff, Rose, and me.”

Drew looked down at his hands.

"Luke, I know you and I are friends, but why would Jeff and Rose be friends with me? They talk to me because of you. They came to me because of you.”

"Drew, they both think you’re awesome. When they came to visit me in the hospital that first time neither one of them could stop talking about you. Drew your important to them. You are important to all of us. Just wait until you’re part of the boxing team. You will have so many friends you’ll forget all about me.”

"Man, I couldn’t forget about you if I tried.”

Luke laughed half heartedly, “I guess I make a lasting impression.”

"Yeah, a good one.”

a href="http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/27336-always/page__pid__367324#entry367324">Discussion Thread
Copyright © 2013 *HJ*; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awwww, I love how they are just settling in, and getting to know each other. Funny when he crawled upon the bed with the golf club. Boys try to be so bad, until they see a snake. LOL

Link to comment
On 08/11/2012 12:49 AM, joann414 said:
Awwww, I love how they are just settling in, and getting to know each other. Funny when he crawled upon the bed with the golf club. Boys try to be so bad, until they see a snake. LOL
I had too much fun writing that scene! ou really have no idea :D
Link to comment

I was going to wait until the last published chapter to leave a comment, because, after all, who is going to read this one? But what the hell, as an incurable romantic full of unrequited love, how can I wait any longer? I am thoroughly enjoying this story and the slow development of love between two boys this age. Why is it so different from the love I felt for my wife (female)?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..