Jump to content
    *HJ*
  • Author
  • 2,834 Words
  • 2,384 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Always - 25. "I Cried Like a Baby"

Big thanks to CassieQ for editing this chapter. I don't know what I would have done without her invaluable editing skills since Frosty is out of commission for the time being :( . So, props to CassieQ because she is completely and totally awesome! I hope you enjoy the chapter Darlings!  

Drew twisted in Luke’s embrace as the sun beamed through their bedroom window. Luke yawned before pulling Drew closer in his arms and snuggling deeper into the covers. They could both smell the scents of fresh coffee and bacon wafting through the house.

“I smell breakfast,” Drew mumbled into Luke’s chest.

“Me too, but it is so warm under here with you,” Luke said with his eyes closed.

“I know but we have a lot to do today. The press conference is at ten.” Drew felt Luke’s embrace tighten. “You sure you are ready to face Mayor Davidson?”

“Not really, but I don’t have a choice. We need to know what is going on, and as long as you are there with me I will be fine.”

“Let’s go get some breakfast,” Drew said as he threw back the covers and kissed Luke’s chest.

Both boys trudged into the kitchen wearing only their boxers. Jane raised her eyebrows at the boys nodding to their attire, but they just offered her sheepish smiles and shrugged. The counter beside the stove was covered in food. Jane had cooked a full breakfast of eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, and sausage. Jordan was already at the table with a full plate and a glass of orange juice when Drew and Luke came in.

“Morning boys,” Jane said as she sat down with a cup of coffee.

“Morning,” they replied in unison.

“Help your selves,” Jane smiled before taking a sip of her coffee.

Drew poured himself a cup of coffee while Luke poured himself a glass of orange juice. Jordan watched as they moved around each other at the stove. They seemed to know exactly what the other was about to reach for, and basically filled each other plates before sitting down next to each other at the table.

“Morning lil’ bro,” Drew grinned. “Sleep well?”

“Alright,” Jordan said as he stared at Luke.

Luke could feel Jordan’s eyes on him, and he kept his eyes on his plate. Drew noticed how uncomfortable Jordan was making Luke, but before he could say anything Jordan spoke up.

“Where did you get all of those scars?” he asked, staring at the freshest one.

Luke looked up at Jordan then back down to his plate.

“I had a rough year,” was all Luke offered.

“That one looks fresh,” Jordan said pointing to new scar on Luke’s abdomen. “What happened?”

The table fell silent and Luke didn’t know what to say. He knew that Drew didn’t want Jordan know exactly what was going on, but he also didn’t want to ignore Jordan’s question.

“David stabbed him a few weeks ago,” Drew said, placing his fork down as if he had lost his appetite.

“The David I met yesterday?” Jordan asked, raising his eyebrows.

Drew nodded, taking a long sip of his coffee.

“What the fuck was he doing in the house if he stabbed your boyfriend?”

“Language, young man!” Jane snapped, and Jordan just stared at Drew.

“It’s complicated,” Luke offered.

“Explain it to me then,” Jordan said as he sat back and crossed his arms.

Luke placed his fork on his plate, sat back and wrapped his arms around himself as he suddenly found the floor very interesting.

“Jordan, there are some things you are better off not knowing for the time being. Just trust me on that one,” Drew said as he continued eating.

“Secrets are not something I am very fond of now days,” Jordan said coldly.

“I’m going to go take a shower,” Luke said suddenly before quickly leaving the room.

Drew sighed, “I’m going to go see if he is alright.”

Drew left the room and Jane looked over at her son, who had resumed eating his breakfast. Part of her was frightened at her son’s new behavior, but the other half understood it perfectly.

“Darling, give your brother and Luke a break. They have gone through a lot to be together. Luke nearly died twice before he met Drew. Please get to know him before you judge,” Jane said with a somber tone.

“Well, if someone would tell me his story then I might understand him a bit more,” Jordan huffed.

“Darling, his story is very dark and it is filled with so much pain. Drew and Luke don’t want to burden you with their problems. They are trying to protect you.”

“I don’t need protecting anymore. I need the truth.”

“I will talk to Drew after the press conference, but Jordan…” Jordan looked up at his mother. “We all need protecting.”

**

Drew found Luke sitting on the bed in their room with his head in his hands. Drew sighed as he stood at the door. He didn’t want Luke feeling upset or hurt.

“I’m sorry,” Drew said as he made his way to Luke and sat down next to him.

“Drew, I just want him to trust me. He can’t do that if we don’t at least give him part of our story,” Luke said exasperated as he took he head out of his hands.

“He will eventually trust you, but I am afraid telling him your story might make him be even more distrustful.”

“Maybe I should start staying with Rose and Jeff—”

Drew placed his hands on either side of Luke’s face.

“No, this is your home just as much as it is Jordan’s. I love you, Luke, and I refuse to live without you. Without you, I don’t exist.”

Luke placed his forehead against Drew’s. “I love you more then I love my own life, but I can’t let you choose me over your brother. It isn’t right.”

Drew pulled back and looked Luke in the eyes. “I am not choosing you over my brother, because without you I can’t function. If I don’t know where you are or if you’re alright every second until we find the bastard who is trying to kill you…I’ll go insane.”

“I just don’t want to screw up your family.”

“Your part of my family Luke; you always will be. The only way for you to screw it up is to leave.”

Luke gave Drew a halfhearted smile, “I’m going to take a shower. I love you.”

“I love you too.” Drew placed a kiss on Luke’s lips. “Don’t use up all the hot water.”

“I’ll try my best.”

**

City hall was packed with more people than the town had ever seen. At the thought of encountering Mayor Davison, Luke’s heart was beating rapidly almost like the wings of a hummingbird. Jordan was just as nervous having to face all the press that would no doubt have zero respect with their questions. Jane was simply ready to get the whole thing over with, while Drew almost wished that the press would stick around a bit longer. He feared once the press was gone that the killer would make another attempt to kill Luke.

The family piled in Jane’s Ford and they followed behind Detective Bays’ black Honda accord. When they parked, reporters flocked the car. Detective Bays’ and four of the local police officers had to escort the family inside to a secure room.

“I know you said there would be a lot of press, Detective, but we were not expecting that,” Jane said pointing to the door.

“Yeah, there have been plenty reporters sneaking around town and the house, but nowhere near as many as that,” Drew said.

“Well, you are very good at keeping your lives private. Even the reporters that have been snooping around have not gotten any kind of a story, except a few candid shots of your and Luke’s relationship. Speaking of that, they will probably try and drag your relationship through the mud.”

“Why?” Luke asked.

“Because it will sell papers,” Drew replied bitterly.

“Just keep as quiet about it as possible. Don’t deny it, but don’t volunteer any information about your living arrangements or how they came to be. The last thing they need to get wind of is Luke’s history. Thankfully, the people here have kept silent about Luke’s past and not leaked anything. Mayor Davidson has made sure of that.”

Drew wrapped his arm around Luke’s waist and put his arm around Jordan’s shoulders.

“Who is present other than the reporters?” Jane questioned.

“Mayor Davidson, his son David, several of the local police department including the chief, and few of the town officials. I will be directing the conference. I promise to keep it light, but we have to give them enough so that they will leave you alone afterward.”

“Let’s get this over with,” Drew said.

“Just remember to keep calm. If they upset you then kill them with kindness. If they know they can get a rise out of you, they will only make it worse.”

Detective Bays let them into the main hall and up to the podium. Cameras were flashing, questions were being shouted and Drew was squeezing Luke’s hand so tight that he thought he was losing circulation. Detective Bays stepped up to the microphones and everyone fell silent.

“At this time the family will begin taking questions,” Detective Bays said.

The crowd erupted and Detective Bays pointed to a short, brunette, frumpy woman in the front.

“How does it feel to be reunited as a family after this terrible ordeal?” she asked looking at Drew.

Drew stepped closer to the microphones, not letting go of Luke’s hand, and said, “Words can’t describe how happy we are.”

The questions erupted again when Drew stepped back. Detective Bays pointed to a long nosed man in the middle wearing a black suit.

“How is Jordan adjusting to his new life after such a traumatic experience?” he questioned.

Jane moved forward to answer the question, but Jordan placed a hand on his arm before she could. She smiled and let him step forward to answer the question.

“I am adjusting as well as to be expected. You don’t just get over what I went through in a few days, but having my family around makes it easier,” Jordan gave a half grin and stepped back.

Jane smiled at Jordan and took his hand.

“You, in the green blouse,” Detective Bays said pointing at another short woman in the front.

“How do you feel about your brother’s sinful relationship?” She sneered at Jordan.

Drew squeezed Luke’s hand and gave the woman a deathly glare. To his surprise Jordan laughed as he stepped up to the microphone. Luke noticed the woman standing to her right gave her a disgusted look and took a half step to her right.

“I support my brother’s relationship one hundred percent. Sinful? Well, I suppose that is your own opinion. I just hope I can find someone who makes me half as happy as Luke makes my brother.”

Detective Bays smiled brightly as Jordan stepped back.

Drew tossed his arm over Jordan’s shoulders and gave him a squeeze, “Thanks, lil’ bro.”

“No problem,” he grinned.

Detective Bays motioned to a blonde woman in the back.

“How did you react when you first saw your brother again?” she asked with a smile.

“I cried like a baby,” Drew said with a smile.

“What were your first words to each other?” she asked before Drew could step back.

“Well, when he woke up in the hospital I was sitting beside his bed. He asked me if he was dead and I told him no,” Drew answered as his smile faded a bit.

After Drew stepped back Detective Bays called on a raven haired man on the right side of the crowd near the front.

“The rumors around town are that you are very protective over your family and boyfriend. Now that Senator Knight is dead will you continue to be as protective?”

Drew stepped up to the microphones with a serious face. “I will never stop protecting the people I care about.” Drew looked over to Mayor Davidson who was frowning at him. “No one will ever hurt my family again if I have anything to say about it.” Mayor Davidson raised an eyebrow at Drew and smiled.

David, who sat next to his father, took a shaky breath, knowing he could possibly be sitting next to the man that killed Tyler. After seeing the exchange between Drew and his father, he was nearly sure he was. In spite of everything, all the evidence seemed to point directly at his father.

The press conference lasted an additional twenty minutes after Drew’s threatening look to the mayor. The reporters continued to asked questions about Drew and Luke’s relationship, but it was nothing that Drew and Luke didn’t handle with ease. Jordan addressed everyone who asked him a question and so did the rest.

“That went surprisingly well,” Jane said as they finally got back in the explorer.

“Went better than I thought it would,” Drew said as he yawned.

“Except when they started attacking your relationship,” Jordan said. shifting in his seat to look back at the exhausted couple.

“Well, you seemed to jump to our defense nearly every time, lil’ bro. I have to say I didn’t expect it,” Drew replied with a grin.

“Well, he makes you happy,” Jordan nodded at Luke. “He seems like a nice enough person. I told you I approve of your relationship. I just don’t trust him yet.”

“You will eventually,” Drew shrugged.

“I hope so.” Jordan said more to himself than anyone else.

The remainder of the car ride was spent in silence. It wasn’t until their driveway came in view that the silence was broken.

“Isn’t that the guy who stabbed your boyfriend?” Jordan asked.

“Yeah,” Drew replied.

“I hope you plan on kicking his ass.”

“Language young man,” Jane said.

“No, I’m not. He is Luke’s friend, and he forgave him,” Drew said, without taking his eyes off David.

“You forgave him for stabbing your boyfriend?” Jordan asked, turning around with one eyebrow raised.

“No, I haven’t yet. I don’t plan to anytime soon.”

Jane pulled her explorer into the drive. David was leaning up against the back of his pick-up with a frown on his face. Drew and Luke immediately got out and walked over to him. Jane smiled at David who smiled back before locking eyes with Jordan for the second time.

Jordan frowned at him before turning to walk in the house behind his mother. David’s heart sank a little bit knowing another person hated him. He dismissed his feelings for the time being.

“We need to talk,” he said pulling an envelope out of his back pocket. “I found this taped to my window when I got out of the press conference.

Drew took the envelope and opened it. Inside was a letter printed on a piece of fancy stationary.

How many faggots does it take to screw in a light bulb? Don’t know the answer? How about this one: how many real men does it take to kill a fag? Answer: just me. You should have killed him when you had the chance. I would have made your death less painful. Now I have to kill him myself, and you are going to suffer for that inconvenience. Enjoy your last days alive. Make sure to inform your faggot friends that their days are limited as well.

Drew folded the letter up and put it back in the envelope. He looked up at David who was wearing a blank expression.

“This means whatever he is planning is going down soon,” Drew said running his hand through his hair. “I just wish we knew for sure if your father is behind it!” Drew said beginning to lose his temper.

“What do we do now?” Luke asked.

“We get proof that he killed Tyler. Think you can search around your house and see if you can find something to prove he drugged the alcohol he provided at your party?”

“Yeah, he will be gone until later tonight. He isn’t at home much since I came out. Now I know why.”

“Alright, we’re going to track down Lucas and beat the truth out of him,” Luke said.

“Call if you need me,” David said as he climbed in his truck.

Drew and Luke walked to the front door. Before Drew could go in Luke grabbed his arm.

“Drew, I think I should leave.”

Drew let out an angry huff. He was going to tell Luke how completely and utterly stupid that idea sounded, but decided to show him instead. Drew pushed Luke up against the wall of the house and claimed Luke’s lips with his. Luke moaned in ecstasy as Drew grabbed his waist and grinded his hips against his.

“Do I even need to say anything about how stupid you leaving would be?” Drew asked, pulling only centimeters away.

“No,” Luke panted. “You made your point.”

“Good, let’s get inside.”

“I can’t go inside right now,” Luke said looking down at his obvious problem.

Drew laughed, “Me either.”

So what did you think? Have questions, theories, or just want to put your two cents in? Leave a review or post in the discussion thread. Discuss this chapter with me by clicking here!
Copyright © 2013 *HJ*; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I would be so scared if I were Luke and Drew. This psycho is out there and he's gunning for them all.

 

I hope David can find the proof they need to put his father away. But then that's not going to be easy; he is the mayor after all.

 

I can see Jordan's point that he doesn't trust Luke yet, but he should listen to his mother. He's already judging Luke w/o knowing all he's been through. He needs to find out the truth before he starts judging him.

 

Great chapter HJ! Can't wait for the next one! :) Have a happy 4th!

Link to comment
On 07/02/2012 02:30 PM, Lisa said:
I would be so scared if I were Luke and Drew. This psycho is out there and he's gunning for them all.

 

I hope David can find the proof they need to put his father away. But then that's not going to be easy; he is the mayor after all.

 

I can see Jordan's point that he doesn't trust Luke yet, but he should listen to his mother. He's already judging Luke w/o knowing all he's been through. He needs to find out the truth before he starts judging him.

 

Great chapter HJ! Can't wait for the next one! :) Have a happy 4th!

Ah, yes the task of getting evidence that will stand up against the mayor will not be easy. As for Drew and Luke being scared..Fear is definitely present in Drew and Luke's minds, but they have been through so much that they know better then to let their fear control them. When it comes to Jordan things get complicated. He is obviously screwed up, but he is trying to act as normal as possible in front of his family, but sometimes his walls come crashing down (as you will see in the next chapter). Jordan knows he is being hard on Luke, but Jordan is simply trying to bring himself to trust another male.

I am happy you like the chapter and I look forward to more reviews from you :D .

Link to comment

What is take to make Jordan trust Luke... so many question need to be answered

I wish Drew & Luke didn't live in fear... they deserve to be happy & free

Thxs HJ for great chapterthumbsup.gif

Link to comment
On 07/08/2012 12:38 PM, unlikelyu said:
What is take to make Jordan trust Luke... so many question need to be answered

I wish Drew & Luke didn't live in fear... they deserve to be happy & free

Thxs HJ for great chapterthumbsup.gif

Jordan is just like his older brother who is just like their original father. Hopefully, Luke will be able to gain Jordan's trust, but until then he will continue to give him a hard time. As for Drew and Luke, yes they deserve to be happy & free, but life is very unpredictable and more often then not unfair. Only time will tell what the future holds for our beloved boys.

Thank you for the wonderful review. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story as it is posted.

Hugs,

Holly

Link to comment

I notice a trait that Jordan and Drew share. They support each other, regardless of how they really feel about somethings. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that the mayor is the killer. I think there is maybe more than one party involved in the killings. I may be way off the mark, jmo.

I just checked, and see that I only have one more chapter to read, dang it! This is such a great read. I will be haunting you, prodding you to write. Good job AJ

Link to comment
On 08/12/2012 12:13 AM, joann414 said:
I notice a trait that Jordan and Drew share. They support each other, regardless of how they really feel about somethings. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that the mayor is the killer. I think there is maybe more than one party involved in the killings. I may be way off the mark, jmo.

I just checked, and see that I only have one more chapter to read, dang it! This is such a great read. I will be haunting you, prodding you to write. Good job AJ

Yes, Jordan and Drew may disagree more often then not, but they do have that brotherly support. Not to mention they nearly lost each other once. No matter what the other one decides they will support one another because they do not want to lose each other for petty reasons. Ah, Mayor Davidson... he is one evil son of a bitch, but I am afraid that is all I will leave you with about him. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..