Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Embracing the Tension - 9. Chapter 9

Warning: This chapter may contain sexually explicit content. Reader discretion is advised.

"Hello?" A tentative voice, young and uncertain answered the phone. That definitely wasn’t Ryan.

“Chloe?” Erik guessed. “It’s Uncle Erik.”

“Hi, Uncle Erik!” The hesitation dissipated into thin air, and Erik could just imagine her bouncing up and down. “Where are you?”

“Tell Uncle Erik I’ll be there in a minute!” The phone picked up Ryan’s voice as he shouted from afar.

“Uncle Ry says he’ll be here in a minute.” Chloe dutifully reported.

“Thanks, sweetie.” Erik smiled into the phone, wishing he could give Chloe a hug. “I’m in New York.”

“New York,” she repeated, testing out the sounds on her tongue. “Why are you there? Why aren’t you here?”

“Because I live in New York.” Those words had never felt so uncomfortable coming out of his mouth before.

“Oh.” Chloe obviously didn’t understand the implication. “Come back.”

“I will, sweetheart. I’ll be there for Christmas.”

“Oh, yay! Christmas! I love Christmas!”

Erik had no doubt. What little kid didn’t like Christmas?

“So, tell me, Chloe, did you go to school today?” Erik asked.

“Yup! And we painted our families! Caesar! Come here!”

Erik heard something that sounded like a cat yelping, and he wondered what kind of torture she was subjecting the animal to. Probably something only a child’s mind could dream up.

“And what did you put in your painting?”

“Mommy, daddy, me, Uncle Ry, Caesar, and you! And I drew our house in the back so everyone knows that we live together.”

A rush of emotion that Erik hadn’t anticipated rushed up and hit him smack in the middle of the chest. He blinked back tears and tried to take a breath against the weight pressing on his lungs. “You drew me?”

“Uh-huh, you’re my Uncle Erik. And Caesar, too. Even though he’s Uncle Ry’s cat. But he’s family, you know.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Thanks for keeping Uncle Erik company, Clo.” Ryan’s voice was closer now, clearer. “Why don’t you go downstairs. It’s almost time for dinner.”

“Okay! Bye Uncle Erik! Love you!”

Erik tried and failed to stop the strangled sound that escaped his throat. He ran his hand over his face and leaned his head back on the couch, wishing with everything he had that the couch was in a different living room, in a different city, in a different country.

“Chloe, walk down the stairs. No running!”

The pattering of running footsteps echoed through the phone, right before a heavy sigh, then, “Hello?” Ryan’s soothing baritone, a salve to all the aches and pains the day threw at him.

“Hey.” Erik put everything he felt into that one word, all the weariness and fatigue, the longing and loneliness.

“Hey.” Ryan’s response echoed back everything he needed: support, understanding, love. “Long day?”

Erik sighed. “Every day is a long day.”

“I’m sorry.”

He chuckled but didn’t try to stop Ryan from apologizing for something that wasn’t his fault. “I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.”

“I love you.” Erik said this in almost a whisper, because to say it any louder would send him down a whirlpool of longing for things he couldn’t have. The words were too powerful, and he wasn’t strong enough to resist.

“I love you, too.” Ryan was marginally louder because he was stronger; he had always been stronger. Erik knew that now. Even years ago, when it looked like Ryan was falling apart under the pressure of New York and their porn careers, Ryan was the strong one who recognized his limits and had the courage to step out before it destroyed him. Did Erik have the same courage?

He cleared his throat, but the ball of emotion remained. “So, I’m all booked for Christmas.”

“Great. Send me your flight details. How long are you staying?” Ryan’s voice was a little thick with emotion.

“Up on the 23rd, back on the 2nd. Is that okay?”

“Yeah, you’re always welcome here. You know that.”

“Thanks.”

They chatted until Ryan got called away for movie night with Chloe, and Erik dropped his phone onto the couch. He rubbed the heels of his hands into his eyes as he leaned his head back.

It was getting harder every day, this long-distance thing, feeling like he was only half-present because the other half of himself was miles away in another country. He was in limbo, not fully here and not fully there but trying to make it through each day, living for the next time they can be in the same room.

And all the while, that conversation replayed in his mind, the one they had in the car when he had word-vomited his fears about leaving New York, and Ryan heard it all as an accusation that Ryan wasn’t strong enough to cut it in the big city. Erik hadn’t been thinking about Ryan when he said those words, but maybe that was the problem.

Ryan was happy in Toronto. Erik had seen it with his own eyes. Hell, he’d experienced it himself. And all the other friends and acquaintances who had left New York looked happier wherever they happened to settle. So why was Erik so goddamn reluctant to admit that he could have that for himself? Why was he so set on soldiering on in a city that didn’t give a damn about him?

Because making it in New York is a sign of success, a sign of being at the top of his game. But what good was being at the top of his game when his heart wasn’t with him? When he felt like a shell of a human, just going through the motions without knowing why?

God, he was tired. So tired. A bath. That’s what he needed, a long soak in scorching hot water to sear off whatever fatigue had latched on to him and would let go. He was about to stand from the couch when his phone rang. A 416 number from Toronto, but not Ryan. Weird.

“Hello?”

“Erik Fischer?” A tinny, male voice floated over the phone line.

“Yes, it is. How can I help you?”

“This is Buck Cohen from ShadowBox Films. We connected back in September at TIFF.”

The image of a short man, bald with thick-rimmed glasses popped into Erik’s mind. Yes, they had connected at TIFF. Buck had seen the documentary, and they had exchanged business cards. But when Erik had followed up with a meeting request to see how they could work together on future projects, he’d been left hanging.

“Oh, yes. Hi, Buck, how are you?” Erik’s heart sped up. ShadowBox was known for making innovative documentaries, edgy stuff that bordered on controversial.

“Good, good. Listen. When are you going to be in Toronto next?”

“Well, actually, I’m going to be there over Christmas.” Erik gripped the couch cushion, hoping that that wasn’t too far away.

“Christmas. Perfect. I don’t do Christmas. Come by the office when you’re in town, ‘kay? We’ll chat.”

“Uh, yeah, sure. I’d love to—”

“Great, my assistant will be in touch. ‘Kay. Talk soon. Bye.”

Erik stared at his phone after Buck hung up, not quite believing what had just happened. It was just a meeting, he told himself. Just one of those get-to-know-you-so-I-can-decide-if-I-like-you-enough-to-work-with-you types of meetings. It could go nowhere. He could crash and burn and get himself blacklisted for the rest of his life. But it was something, something to latch onto, a sign that all wasn’t lost. At least, not yet.

###

"Hey." Ryan kept his voice even as he spoke into his phone after seeing Erik pop up on the caller ID. He ignored the way his heart fluttered and his heart rate increased with excitement.

“Hey.” Erik mumbled on his end of the line. “Sorry to be calling so late. I just got home.”

“It’s fine.” Ryan put his book on his nightstand and settled himself deeper into his pillows. Caesar, who had been curled up in his lap, grew bored and ambled off. “I was just reading in bed.”

“Hmm… in bed?” A hint of interest sparked in Erik’s voice.

“Yep.”

“What are you wearing?”

Ryan frowned down at himself. “PJs?”

Laughter floated over the line.

“What? They don’t have Spiderman on them or anything. Just boxers and a t-shirt. Why? What else would I wear?”

More laughter, bubbling like a brook, tickled at Ryan, and he had to wait a moment before Erik settled down. “You’re not very good at this are you?”

“What do you mean? Not very good at what?” Ryan demanded in mock annoyance.

“Phone sex.”

Ryan’s brain short-circuited for a second while he pondered the idea of phone sex with Erik. It was hard to believe they hadn’t had phone sex yet, considering how far into their relationship they were. His stomach fluttered with butterflies at the thought.

“We don’t have to, if you don’t want to,” Erik said after a moment of silence.

“No, I want to.” And Ryan did, as much as it terrified him and reminded him somewhat of porn, at least the performance aspect of it. But this was Erik and it was just the two of them; surely, he could get over this one piece of baggage?

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, yeah, I am. What are you wearing?”

Erik was silent for a beat before he said, “nothing.” Gone was the laugher, and in its place was a low rumble.

Ryan’s mouth dried at the image of Erik naked, covered only by a thin sheet twisting around his legs. Just a corner draped across his hips, obscuring the most X-rated parts of his body while the rest was on display under a warm, yellow light. In his mind, the light played off Erik’s smoke tattoo, and he imagined how the twisting shades of ink would look against the crisp whiteness of the sheets.

“Oh.”

“You’re imaging me naked in bed, aren’t you?”

Ryan could almost feel the vibration of Erik’s voice travel through the phone and reverberate against his ear. He shifted, but the smoothness of his sheets rubbed against his skin, sending tingles through his body until they congregated at his groin. He cleared his throat.

“You are, aren’t you?” The low chuckle from Erik was nothing like his earlier laugher. It was meant to entice, seduce. It worked.

“You are. I know you are.” The confidence in those words just as arousing as the image Erik’s voice conjured up. They felt like caresses over Ryan’s skin. “Mmm…” Erik moaned into the phone. “Tell me exactly what you’re wearing.”

Ryan squeezed his eyes shut and took a deep breath. When he opened his mouth to speak, his tongue wouldn’t cooperate and he ended up making random sounds instead of words. He couldn’t figure out if his sudden lack of vocabulary had anything to do with all the blood rushing to his dick, or with the bevy of butterflies still fluttering away in his stomach.

“Ryan?”

He could do this. He wanted to do this, damn it. What was a little phone sex between two people who loved each other? “Um…” He cleared his throat again before continuing. “Black boxers. And a red t-shirt.”

“The soft red t-shirt? The one I wore last time?”

“Mmhmm.” Images of Erik in the t-shirt, the material stretched across his wider shoulders, came to mind. He had practically lived in that t-shirt the last time he was in town, always running his hands up and down the material and commenting on its softness.

“Ugh, I love that t-shirt.”

“Mmhmm.”

“Run your hands over the shirt. Tell me what it feels like.” The breathiness of Erik’s voice tickled at Ryan’s ear.

Ryan ran a hand over his chest as instructed. “Um, it’s soft?”

Erik scoffed lightly over the phone. “Tell me how it feels.”

“It’s uh… It’s…” Nothing seductive or tantalizing came to mind, and Ryan simply burst out in nervous laughter. “Sorry, sorry.” Ryan apologized when he regained control of his giggles. “Let’s try again?”

“I’m not sure this is a good idea.” Erik sighed with a touch of amusement.

“No, no, I want to. Let’s try again.”

“Okay.” Erik agreed, though he didn’t sound as sure of himself as he had a moment earlier. “Forget the shirt; take it off.”

“Hold on.” Putting the phone down, Ryan stripped his shirt off and threw it at the foot of his bed. “Okay.”

“Shirt off?”

“Yes.”

“You’re lying on your pillows?”

“Yes.”

“And your lamp is on? The one next to your bed?”

“Yes.”

Erik sighed into the phone, and Ryan imagined he could see the hungry look that blurred the clear blueness of Erik’s eyes.

“God, I want to touch you so badly.” The words came out almost as a groan, the sound rippling over Ryan’s nerves. “I want to run my fingers down your body and trace your abs. Then I’d lick them, every single one. I want to taste the saltiness of your skin on my tongue.”

Ryan tensed his stomach as if Erik’s tongue were indeed dipping into every ridge, lapping at the muscles. His breath hitched as he imagined Erik’s tongue delving into his belly button. A muted moan escaped his throat. This was so much easier when Erik took control. Most of their physical relationship was like that, Ryan shouldn’t have been surprised that it translated into phone sex, too.

“You like that, don’t you?”

“Mmhmm.”

“I want to feel you under me. Bare chest against bare chest. I love the way you feel, naked in my arms.”

Ryan loved it, too, being pressed into the bed with Erik on top of him—all that hard, toned muscle. Running his hand across his chest, he closed his eyes and remembered Erik’s weight; it was one of his favorite things about being in bed with Erik.

“I miss kissing you so much. You have the softest lips I’ve ever kissed. And your beard; have I told you how much I like your beard?”

Erik had, multiple times, as he rubbed his smoothly shaven check against Ryan’s hair-covered one. It tickled whenever Erik did that, but Ryan loved the idea of them rubbing their faces against each other.

“Oh…” A teasing tone wove its way into Erik’s voice. “Do you know what I see?”

Ryan forgot to breath as his entire attention turned to what Erik was suggesting.

“You do, don’t you?”

All Ryan could muster was a moan.

“That goddamn earring. I love playing with it. You know why? Because you come completely undone in my arms when I’m sucking on that earlobe. God, I can just imagine it. Can you?”

Needy whimpers escaped his throat, and Ryan was helpless to stop them. Almost as if Erik was in the bed with him, on top of him, licking at his earring, Ryan felt tendrils of fire snake from his ear down through his body, igniting every cell along the way. Gripping his phone with one hand, and his sheets with the other, Ryan arched up, looking for the solid mass of Erik to push him back down, but found nothing.

“Ahh…” Ryan’s strangled cry echoed into the phone.

“Are you hard for me, babe?” Erik’s words came in pants, breathed directly into the phone. “‘Cause I’m so hard right now. Fuck.”

“Mm… Erik…” He was hard, and yet, something was missing.

“Are you touching yourself yet? Touch yourself, babe. For me.” The command was growled, low and demanding, and Ryan didn’t think of disobeying.

His dick ached in his black boxers, a sizable wet spot already staining the fabric. Ryan squeezed his bulge and rocked his hips as if Erik was there to grind against. Except he wasn’t.

“Oh, yeah. I love the sounds you make, babe, whimpering like that. So fucking hot.”

The encouragement only made Ryan whimper more for what he lacked.

“Stroke yourself. Nice, long, tight strokes.”

Pushing his boxers down his thighs, Ryan took his cock in his hand, the length and girth of it familiar. Using his thumb, he swiped at the tip where precome had gathered and spread it around, using it to ease the glide of his palm.

Over the phone, Ryan heard Erik’s breath quicken. “Oh, god, Ryan. Can you feel my hand on you—in a really tight grip? Twisting at the head?” Erik’s voice cracked as a moan pushed its way through.

On his side of the phone, Ryan mimicked Erik’s movements, tightening his grip and twisting his hand around the head of his cock. He gasped at the sensation. “Ah, Erik!”

“Fuck.” The word was bitten out between heavy pants of air blown into the phone. “Switching to speaker.”

Ryan heard some fumbling before Erik was back, the sound echoing a little more than before. He quickly followed suit, putting the phone on the pillow next to his ear. He turned his face into the pillow, imagining he was pressing his cheek against Erik’s instead.

“What are you doing now? Tell me what you’re doing, babe.”

“I’m jacking myself,” Ryan whispered, a flush of heat flared in his body, and his head felt dizzy. “Cupping my balls.”

“Yes.” Erik moaned. “So am I. Roll those balls around, tug at them. Shit. Fuck.”

“Fuck, fuck, fuck.” He found himself muttering as an orgasm built inside him, as strong as it usually was with Erik, but somehow empty.

“Ah, fuck, Ryan. Fuck. I’m so close, so close.”

“Erik…” He filled his voice with all the longing he felt.

“Rub your perineum, babe. Rub it. I want you to come with me.”

Ryan cried out as he sneaked two fingers back and did as Erik instructed. He pressed toward his prostate, sending sparks exploding through his body. “Ahh!” He cried.

“Oh, god, Ryan, I’m coming. I’m coming, Ryan. Fuck!”

The line grew eerily silent, and Ryan imaged Erik’s body arching as his orgasm overtook him, all his muscles standing in sharp relief, straining at the intensity of sensations.

An extra rub on his taint, a tight squeeze around his cock head, and Ryan followed Erik off the cliff. “Ah, Erik!”

He drew out Erik’s name as the rush of his orgasm hit him, and he painted himself in his own come. The sound of blood rushed past his ears as his heart thudded its staccato beat, blocking out all other sounds. Ryan panted through the strength of his orgasm, and as he came down from the high, the air quickly cooled and his semen became sticky on his skin.

Now would normally be the time when Erik buried his face into the crook of Ryan’s neck and Ryan would wrap his arms around those wide shoulders. And the two of them would hold each other as their hearts settled into a normal rhythm. But Erik wasn’t there, and Ryan had no one to hold. Was it pathetic that he wanted to cuddle with his phone?

“Babe?” he whispered. The phone still showed an active call.

“Yeah, I’m here.” Erik’s voice was groggy, the way it always was after sex. But Ryan could hear a little something else in there; it was the same achy, empty feeling Ryan felt.

He sighed. “I miss you.”

Erik responded with his own sigh. “I miss you, too. So fucking much.”

How much longer could they do this?

###

Erik's arms strained as they hefted his heavy suitcase up the last stairs to Ryan’s apartment. Heavy with all the gifts he had brought for Ryan’s family. He may have gotten a little carried away with the gift shopping, but one purchase had led to another, and something about retail therapy and the prospect of having a real Christmas with a loving family had turned him into a bit of a maniac. He didn’t regret a second of it.

“Hey.” Ryan’s arms sneaked around his waist as he settled his hands on Ryan’s shoulders.

“Hey.” They smiled at each other for a moment before leaning in for a quick peck on the lips.

They had developed a bit of a ritual by now. The first several hours after Erik arrived would be spent on the couch, Erik nestled in Ryan’s arms, Caesar somewhere within petting distance. They would soak in each other’s presence, the touch of each other’s hands, the scent of each other’s skin. And slowly, with the passing of each minute, their realities would realign, almost like a blurry camera lens snapping back into focus, and they would remember how to be in the same space again.

“I’m suspicious of what’s in that giant suitcase of yours.” Ryan said, nodding at the largest piece of luggage Erik owned, sitting just inside the door.

“What’s there to be suspicious about?”

“I said you didn’t need to bring gifts for everyone.”

“And I told you I like giving gifts.”

Ryan grunted, and Erik couldn’t help the laughter that bubbled up from somewhere deep inside. “How come you don’t have a tree up here?”

Ryan shrugged. “Too much work. Besides, I do all the Christmas stuff downstairs anyway, so…” He shrugged again.

“Can I put my presents under the tree then? You guys do that, right?” Erik moved to get up from the couch, only to have Ryan pull him back.

“Yeah, but it can wait.”

Erik’s objection was silenced with Ryan’s lips on his, then Ryan’s tongue sliding into his mouth. And suddenly putting the gifts under the tree didn’t seem quite as urgent as it had before.

The kiss was lazy, Ryan’s tongue swiping at his and his swiping back, gentle nips of teeth and tugging on lips. There was no hurry, no rush and Erik let himself sink into the kiss, absorbing as much of Ryan into his heart as he could. With each passing minute in Ryan’s arms, Erik felt the bone-deep weariness of life melt away, replaced with a refreshing sense of satisfaction and completeness. This is where he belonged, where he was made whole, with Ryan yes, but it went beyond that.

Every time he landed in Toronto and Erik took that first step off the plane onto the jet bridge, it was like a weight lifted off his shoulders. He felt free, more at ease, and his steps felt lighter, quicker. It happened every single time, and while he had previously brushed it off as the ease of vacation, this time Erik wondered if there was something more.

They shifted on the couch, now lying side-by-side in the narrow space with Erik perched right on the edge and in danger of falling off. But he knew he was safe. Because Ryan’s arms were around him, holding him fast, drawing him in to safety. Erik threw his thigh over Ryan’s hip and snuggled in closer.

Every time he went back to New York, he had to steel himself as the plane descended into the airport. The minute the seatbelt sign went off, it was like the starting gun of a race had sounded and he was off in a mad dash. He could never figure out where the urgency came from; he was usually just going home. But it was there just the same, just as it was there when he walked down the sidewalk or hopped onto the subway, like every step was a battle, and life was a war.

They fell asleep on the couch together. And when Erik opened his eyes next he was alone, covered in a blanket. He stretched the ache out of his muscles and sat up to find Caesar sitting on the coffee table watching him.

“Hey, Caesar…” He tried to keep his tone light. God knows what the cat was thinking behind those creepy intelligent eyes.

Caesar flicked his tail, lifted his head arrogantly and stalked off without a backward glance. Standoff averted.

Erik went in search of Ryan but didn’t find him anywhere in the apartment. His suitcase still sat where they’d left it when they’d gotten back from the airport, so he moved it into the bedroom and opened it to pull out the presents. He was going to have to make multiple trips downstairs, unless…

With a small pile of his clothes and toiletries laid out on the bed, Erik dragged the still mostly full suitcase down the stairs. The door to Rachel and Tom’s apartment was open; the Christmas tree was right in front of the big window overlooking the street and visible from the front door. Voices drifted from the kitchen at the back of the house, one male and one female, but not loud enough for Erik to overhear the conversation. He went ahead and stuck his presents under the tree; there were already quite a few there. Then, leaving his empty suitcase by the door, he ventured back to find the source of the voices.

“How long are you going to go on like this?” That was Rachel, and Erik stopped just out of sight of the doorway, some instinct telling him to wait.

“What do you mean?” Ryan asked. It didn’t seem like they had heard him in the living room.

“I mean, you guys are obviously crazy about each other. But you live here and he lives in New York. You’ve already told me you’re not moving back there, so when are you going to ask him to move here?”

Erik’s heart dropped into the pit of his stomach. He wanted to run away. He wanted to go in there and demand that Rachel stay out of their personal lives. But instead, he stood rooted to the spot. Eavesdropping.

“I never said I’d wouldn’t move back to New York.” Not that Ryan sounded very convincing.

“You’re kidding, right?” Something heavy, maybe a coffee mug, thudded on a hard surface. “You’ve pretty much implied it up and down. You’re honestly going to tell me you’re willing to go back there?”

The silence that followed was so typically Ryan shutting down and backing away from something difficult.

“Ryan, seriously. You can’t go back there.”

Ryan mumbled something under his breath that Erik couldn’t catch.

“So then, tell him to move here!”

“I can’t.” A chair scrapped against the floor, and Erik tensed, but neither one in the kitchen had moved toward the doorway.

“Why not?”

“Because his work is there. Besides, if it’s not okay for him to ask me to move to New York, why would it be okay for me to ask him to move here?” Ryan—always the academic.

“Because Toronto’s not a soul-sucking city like New York.”

Erik gritted his teeth, but he had to admit that Rachel had a point.

“And can’t he do the same work here? I mean, Toronto’s got a thriving film industry, doesn’t it? There’s TIFF!”

It was a simplistic argument but not one that Erik could disagree with. There was a decent film industry in Toronto. But moving to Toronto would definitely be considered a step back—not suicidal to his career, but certainly not moving forward.

“Rach…” Ryan sighed heavily. “I can’t ask him to come. What if he comes and then he hates it? It would be my fault, and I can’t do that to him. If he wants to move up here, he’s got to have to want to do it himself.”

Erik bit his lip before the weird jumble of emotions rolling around in the pit of his stomach came spilling out. He eased quietly away from the doorway, sneaked back upstairs, and headed straight for the bathroom. Leaning over the toilet, he breathed through the sudden urge to hurl. What was wrong with him? When the nausea subsided, he sat back against the wall, arms propped up on his knees in front of him, head tilted back and stared at the ceiling.

It always came back to the same question: would he move to Toronto? It was like their entire relationship centered on his answer to that question. The problem was, he didn’t know what his answer was.

He loved Ryan. With everything inside of him. And he knew that Ryan loved him back. But was that enough for him to pack up his life in New York and move to a different country? He didn’t know. On the surface, it made all the sense in the world, but still there was that clawing, grasping feeling that held him to New York when the city’s appeal was dying with each passing day.

He rubbed his hands over his face. He didn’t know what to do. And if Ryan meant what he had told his sister, the decision would have to be Erik’s to make.

Ah! More meddling from Rachel. Honestly, I hadn't realized how meddlesome she was! But considering how seriously bad Ryan and Erik are at communicating with each other, maybe they need someone to "facilitate"? :gikkle:  Alright folks, go ahead and hate on Rachel. :)
Copyright © 2018 Hudson Bartholomew; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

No hating Rachel, when you obviously use her to make Erik understand that it is his decision and only his that is needed. First Chloe, then her mother. Perfectly structured! And the other question of course is will he go and have that meeting with Buck, and what did he mean by "something to latch onto, a sign that not all wasn't lost, yet"?

  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment

I can't hate on her today....she didn't take a low jab to Ryan by bringing up porn again. Her arguments were sound and true. Erik needs to listen to his heart and his head and Chloe and forget about NYC. Ryan needs to grow a pair speak up and either tell Rachel to butt out or Erik move your ass up here yesterday. We all know Ryan won't do that. So I guess it's up to Chloe to be the voice of reason here and tell Uncle Erik she misses him and wants him back there

  • Like 2
Link to comment

We all need meddling sisters! I have two that always calls me on my crap, and what the most frustrating thing is, they are normally always right. Drives me up the wall.

 

BTW, I love Chloe!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It is all up to Eric. They are miserable apart, whole together. I still want to stuff a sock in Rachel’s mouth, but it made Eric think.

Adorable little Chloe said it best... You are my family Uncle Eric!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I don't hate Rachel, she actually makes sense. Which if you know me I should've called her a meddling bitch by now. Erik needs Ryan pure and simple he needs to make the the move!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is around the first time Rachel should have started her nagging so no objection this time. (even though I still side eye every comment she makes)

I love how comfortable Ryan is in his own skin now and understand that he applies his sense of self with his sister the same way he does with Ryan (it's the only way he hasn't shut her down by now).

People think admitting their limitations is a sign of weakness or excuse to give up but it's one of the strongest things someone can do.  When Ryan realized New York wasn't where he belonged anymore, he left, even walking away from what he knew would be a life changing relationship.

I'm paraphrasing but-If you love something, set it free;. If it's meant to be yours, it will come back to you;. If it wasn't, it wasn't meant to be.

Ryan and Erik are back to each other: Ryan is stable where Erik is not....unless he's with Ryan.  Erik knows what he has to do, doing it isn't always easy.

Another good chapter, Mr. H.  :worship:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yep, decision time is approaching fast. Limbo is not a good place to be. I can understand Ryan's reasoning, but I think he should talk directly with Erik and explain how he wants them to be together. Maybe they can find another place to live? Compromise? Then again, Toronto isn't the end of the world. With a bit of work, they can make it work for both of them. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 5:18 AM, mayday said:

No hating Rachel, when you obviously use her to make Erik understand that it is his decision and only his that is needed. First Chloe, then her mother. Perfectly structured! And the other question of course is will he go and have that meeting with Buck, and what did he mean by "something to latch onto, a sign that not all wasn't lost, yet"?

 

It's a reference to a potential way forward with his relationship with Ryan. If he can secure some job opportunities in Toronto, he'd have no excuse not to move there!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 5:28 AM, JayT said:

I can't hate on her today....she didn't take a low jab to Ryan by bringing up porn again. Her arguments were sound and true. Erik needs to listen to his heart and his head and Chloe and forget about NYC. Ryan needs to grow a pair speak up and either tell Rachel to butt out or Erik move your ass up here yesterday. We all know Ryan won't do that. So I guess it's up to Chloe to be the voice of reason here and tell Uncle Erik she misses him and wants him back there

 

Funny how children can sometimes be the most reasonable people in the room, huh? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 5:35 AM, Ibhubesi said:

We all need meddling sisters! I have two that always calls me on my crap, and what the most frustrating thing is, they are normally always right. Drives me up the wall.

 

BTW, I love Chloe!!! 

 

She is quite adorable. And meddling sisters have a role to play in all our lives :gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 5:55 AM, BlindAmbition said:

It is all up to Eric. They are miserable apart, whole together. I still want to stuff a sock in Rachel’s mouth, but it made Eric think.

Adorable little Chloe said it best... You are my family Uncle Eric!

 

Haha, I'm just imagining Rachel with a sock in her mouth. She'd keep trying to talk, I think. :gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 7:19 AM, Wesley8890 said:

I don't hate Rachel, she actually makes sense. Which if you know me I should've called her a meddling bitch by now. Erik needs Ryan pure and simple he needs to make the the move!

 

I know!! Erik needs to get his act together already :gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 9:02 AM, FanLit said:

This is around the first time Rachel should have started her nagging so no objection this time. (even though I still side eye every comment she makes)

I love how comfortable Ryan is in his own skin now and understand that he applies his sense of self with his sister the same way he does with Ryan (it's the only way he hasn't shut her down by now).

People think admitting their limitations is a sign of weakness or excuse to give up but it's one of the strongest things someone can do.  When Ryan realized New York wasn't where he belonged anymore, he left, even walking away from what he knew would be a life changing relationship.

I'm paraphrasing but-If you love something, set it free;. If it's meant to be yours, it will come back to you;. If it wasn't, it wasn't meant to be.

Ryan and Erik are back to each other: Ryan is stable where Erik is not....unless he's with Ryan.  Erik knows what he has to do, doing it isn't always easy.

Another good chapter, Mr. H.  :worship:

 

Thank you!! :*)

Link to comment
On 3/4/2018 at 11:00 AM, Puppilull said:

Yep, decision time is approaching fast. Limbo is not a good place to be. I can understand Ryan's reasoning, but I think he should talk directly with Erik and explain how he wants them to be together. Maybe they can find another place to live? Compromise? Then again, Toronto isn't the end of the world. With a bit of work, they can make it work for both of them. 

 

 

Yes, they're going to have to figure things out soon. Not sure how much longer they can keep the long distance working. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Although I can sympathise  with Eric and his need to make it in New York , I can’t empathise ! He doesn’t seem to be having much success in New York and new territory could mean New opportunity. I get it that , ‘ better the devil you know’ is a human default setting , but it’s time he realises  that he is content ,  relaxed and confident with Ryan and those are the emotions that make possibility endless and horizons stretch outward towards infinity. Now he just needs to sell himself at the meeting with Buck! Shouldn’t be hard , he’s a New Yorker (?)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/11/2018 at 4:14 AM, deville said:

Although I can sympathise  with Eric and his need to make it in New York , I can’t empathise ! He doesn’t seem to be having much success in New York and new territory could mean New opportunity. I get it that , ‘ better the devil you know’ is a human default setting , but it’s time he realises  that he is content ,  relaxed and confident with Ryan and those are the emotions that make possibility endless and horizons stretch outward towards infinity. Now he just needs to sell himself at the meeting with Buck! Shouldn’t be hard , he’s a New Yorker (?)

 

Yes to all this! The pieces are slowly falling into place, even if it's too slowly than we'd like! :gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

At least listening at the door showed Erik that Ryan understands the dilemma and is loyal to him. His body tells him how stressful N.Y. is for him, but he still cannot get free of the unknown chain binding him to the place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

"Long distance relationship" same end  same side of the same continent... that verges on commutable!

My partner and I commuted for three years between Southern Australia and eastern Canada...that was a long distance relationship! Still together after 20 years, so somehow we survived! 

Perhaps it's the effect NY has on our lovers! 

Enjoyable story, great characters, well written sex scenes. Thanks 

Edited by Canuk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..