Jump to content
    intune
  • Author
  • 2,701 Words
  • 2,832 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Pitch Perfect - 7. Chapter 7: The Trouble With That Is...

Sam squeezed into the small space on the couch between Jeremy’s head and the wall. ‘Why is he here…now?” Sam wondered about the urgency behind his cousin’s arrival; it was after eleven on a school night.

Slouching, he rested his head on the back of the futon and splayed his feet out in front of him on the hardwood floor. Sam’s hand absentmindedly combed his cousin’s hair while his mind wandered home to his parents. Even from a thousand miles away their expectations bothered him. ‘Why throw your life away? What reason could there possibly be not to go to college? You know there’s no future in music- right?’

All valid questions, to a point, but Sam couldn’t stand the disappointment in their faces when he always had to answer that it made him happy. They never understood that, either. Both of his parents had gone to college, his mother was a nurse and his father an attorney. So practical. So sensible. What on Earth possessed their only son to follow the wayward path of music? What reason could there be to not have a job focused solely on money? In some ways Sam found it amusing; a gay son, they could ‘deal with’ his mother had said, but being a musician was really just Sam’s excuse to be lazy, apparently.

The aggravation he was beginning to feel subsided as Sam looked down and saw his cousin blinking up at him, obviously just waking up. “Sam?” Jeremy’s voice whispered thick with sleep.

“Yeah, I’m here.” Sam kept brushing Jeremy’s curls out of his face as he woke up, until he realized that it was an action he had adopted from his mother- then he drew his hand back quickly.

Jeremy sat up slowly and looked over at him. Sam was positive that he had stopped by to talk, but they were silent. He mirrored Sam’s slouch and they both sat quietly staring at the ceiling for a while.

In the end Sam was the first to break. In an attempt to stay on neutral subject matter until Jeremy was ready to open up Sam began by saying, “Do you know a girl named Addie from your school?”

“Yeah.” Jeremy chuckled to himself. “Everybody knows Addie. She’s so pretty, but not really that popular. There’s something a little strange about her. She’s always turning dates down all the time, always just hangs out with… Yeah, I know her, why?”

“She stopped by work today and we had a long conversation.”

Jeremy looked surprised by that information. “Really?” He murmured and Sam could practically see the wheels turning in his head. “So what exactly did y’all talk about?”

“Oh you know, school, friends, that sort of stuff.” Sam stood up heading toward the refrigerator. “Do you want anything to drink? Tea, milk, soda- something?”

“Just water,” Jeremy said and having followed in from the living room he sat at the kitchen island. “So... that’s all you talked about?”

“Huh?” Sam replied while pouring milk. He realized that Jeremy was still talking about Addie. “Oh yeah, that’s all really.” Sam turned around holding the drinks and saw Jeremy nodding to himself. “So, Germ, why are you here?”

Jeremy’s eyes flashed to Sam’s then dropped quickly back to studying the floor. He shrugged. “Do I need a reason?”

“No, I guess not, it’s just…”

“Okay,” Jeremy interrupted setting his glass down. He gave Sam a look daring him to continue.

‘What the hell is bothering Jeremy? He’s never like this. How long has he had such an attitude? Normally he’s so happy-go-lucky.’ Sam knew his initial guess had to be right, Jeremy was dealing with something serious- what other reason was there to act like that? ‘I can’t push him. If he wanted me to know, he’d tell me. My parents always forced things out of me. I know he’ll say what’s on his mind when he’s ready.’

“Well, I have work tomorrow, so I’m gonna shower and head to bed. You’re free to stay here if you want,” he said, not sure what else he could offer.

After retrieving pajama bottoms and a towel Sam went to the bathroom for a hot shower. It felt nice standing underneath the stream of water washing off the hard work of the day. He shut his eyes leaning his forehead against the tiled wall as the warm trails of water traveling down his back. The situation with Jeremy was unfortunate; Sam wondered why he had volunteered to give advice in the first place. ‘Am I qualified to give anyone guidance?’

Back in his bedroom he noticed Jeremy had decided to stay the night after all. He shut off the light as he settled himself into bed. After a few minutes of quiet Sam figured Jeremy must have already fallen asleep. However, just as Sam’s eyelids started feeling heavy he heard him.

“It’s hard to always be what people expect.”

“Yeah I know the feeling.” Sam found himself nodding in agreement even though the room was pitch black. He flicked on the bedside light so as not to feel so crazy.

“Especially lately.” Jeremy sighed. Then turning toward Sam he asked, “Hey, if I tell you something you’d keep it to yourself, right?”

“Of course, we’re family. It’s not like I have anyone to tell anyways.”

“That’s true.” Sam saw the smirk before his cousin turned serious again.

“I’m gay,” Jeremy breathed out.

“That’s great!” Sam tried to put enthusiasm and shock into his voice. He thought shock seemed appropriate; act as if he hadn’t seen Jeremy kissing another boy-check. Sam also wanted to be happy and excited for this revelation, but he knew being gay was sometimes difficult, and a hard life was really the last thing he wanted for Jeremy.

Whatever he had sounded like must have been different than he expected because Jeremy let out a loud snort followed by laughter.

“What?”

“Nothing, I knew you’d say something like that,” Jeremy chuckled. “It wasn’t what I really wanted to tell you. I mean… in a way it was. But, I’ve known for a while that you were gay, so I figured you’d take it well, but the fake enthusiasm was too much.”

Sam wasn’t totally surprised to hear Jeremy already knew about him, he was open about it, and honestly his mother had a pretty big mouth. “So if that wasn’t it, what did you want to talk about?”

“Guys.”

Now it was Sam’s turn to be amused. “Yeah? What about them?”

Jeremy launched into a long story about a boy who had only just recently become his ex. They played sports together and had been dating for about six months when the asshole had apparently decided to cheat on him and lie about it.

“Wait a second,” Sam stopped him during the middle of his explanation. “How can you be so sure this guy cheated on you? Did you see him?”

“We were…” Jeremy hesitated answering and his cheeks turned pink. “Well, you know. So he called out the other guys name right in the middle and then I brought it up and he told me things wouldn’t work out with us.”

“Wow,” said Sam, not sure if it was because his kid cousin was old enough to be having sex or shock because Jeremy chose such a jerk in the first place.

Jeremy nodded and continued. The guy Sam had seen him with at the party was his ex-boyfriend. They still had a lot of contact through school, and the night of the party he had stopped by because he was upset and needed to talk. After the kiss Sam had witnessed they had fought again, and now their relationship was tenser than ever.

How could he date someone who would act like that? Jeremy is so much better than that jerk.’ Sam knew he was personally lucky when it came to men. Almost all of his exes were genuinely good people and that was definitely the case with his first boyfriend, Jared. It was a shame that his cousin couldn’t have the same positive experience. ‘Maybe he got the bad one out of the way early on...’

“I want to try talking to him,” mumbled Jeremy into his pillow, obviously half asleep by now.

“Who?”

“The… the guy. That… other…” Even though he was sleep talking at this point Sam understood what he meant.

“I don’t think that’s a very good idea, Germ. You’ll just wind up hurt again.” Sam was going to say more but he could see the steady rise and fall of Jeremy’s chest and knew it was already too late; he was gone. ‘I’ll have to remember to bring it up again tomorrow,’ Sam thought before reaching over and shutting off the light.

***

Talking again had been more difficult than Sam had anticipated. When morning came he went to school way before Sam was even awake and functioning. Work was hectic most of the weekend and all the intentions Sam had to warn Jeremy were more or less forgotten. Not that it matter much anyway, even if he had remembered they never crossed paths at home. It was odd; the rest of the family saw enough of each other, but Jeremy seemed perpetually busy.

Wednesday morning Sam worked an early shift then spent the rest of the day with Clara, an upright bass player he met through the shop. ‘She’ll be a great practice partner- it’s nice to meet someone else who takes music so seriously.’ Her technique was absolutely flawless, which made sense since she practiced hours every day. While playing and chatting at his apartment that afternoon Sam had learned Clara was trying out for the Philadelphia Orchestra at the beginning of March.

The only unfortunate thing was that she was strictly into playing classical music. Sam had nothing against playing Beethoven and Shubert, but his true love affair was with the blues. Playing again was refreshing; it helped Sam to refocus on why he was in Pennsylvania in the first place. ‘I don’t want my move here to be meaningless, I need to find people to jam with seriously.’

Originally any music related job would do. At the age of fifteen Sam only wanted to learn as much about piano, guitar and vocals as possible. Now he had a more concrete goal in mind. Blues. The bar and club scene in the Philadelphia was great, and he was relatively close to New York too. If he could get a good trio or quartet of musicians together they could start playing shows. Lots of performers had unrealistic goals of making it big, but in the long run Sam hoped to be a studio musician who taught lessons for extra income- he had no unrealistic illusions.

Sam started considering how he might go about finding a good group of people to play with after Clara left that night, and he was still debating over it the following day when he went into work. Most of the first step was already taken care of; it would be easy enough to listen in on the open mic musicians at the shop to see who was promising. Finding dedicated, reliable people and getting them to form a group was another obstacle entirely.

Mr. Ramone had been right in saying Thursdays were the slowest night of the week, Sam decided. There was more than enough time to clean the whole café in between the few customers that stopped in. He thought more about forming a band and how to recruit people as he headed over to the piano. Since there was only one couple sitting drinking coffee and he could hear the door if anyone else came, Sam started to ad lib a mid tempo blues melody. After a few improvised songs he heard the chime of the door from behind him and turned to see a familiar face.

“Addie!” Sam stood striding over to the counter. “How are things going?”

The petite girl looked up from her phone and smiled. “Good.”

“What can I get for you?”

“Hey, listen,” she said disregarding his question completely. “I wanted to ask you about something.”

He wondered what she could possibly have in store for him, but he guessed there was something she wanted by the twinkle in her eyes. ‘I guess there’s only one way to find out…’

“Shoot.”

“Well, I was hoping that you might be open to meeting a great guy and going out on a date?”

That question was enough to spur an internal, and involuntary external, groan. Being set up on a date felt tacky to him, was he giving off desperate relationship vibes to this girl? He was only nineteen and had just moved there so of course he wouldn’t be dating anyone. ‘Even if dating was at the top of my list of things to do I could go out and find a boyfriend myself.’

“I’m not sure that I’m a blind date kind of guy,” Sam answered skeptically; he didn’t want to come off as rude because he really did like Addie. Maybe the guy she planned on introducing him to wouldn’t be too bad.

Addie bit her lip. “Actually, it wouldn’t be a blind date. I told him to meet me here today, he should be here any minute.” She glanced again to the sleek silver phone in her hand.

‘Crap.’ Sam sighed deciding to give up on this battle. “I guess it doesn’t really hurt anything to just meet.” Addie looked up hopefully. “But, I’m not going to promise anything, okay?”

“Yes!” Addie leaned over the counter to give Sam a surprisingly tight hug for someone her size. “I’m going to wait for him outside, he’s never been here before,” she said before practically skipping toward the exit.

‘Well, that was easy,’ Sam mused as he watched her stand waiting outside the glass front. ‘If only it was that easy to make everyone happy.’

Sam leaned forward against the case displaying the cafés baked goods. He had a clear view of Addie who stood alone in the cold for several minutes before she started waving furiously to a passing car which had to be her friend’s because it pulled into the lot.

He watched transfixed as the car parked and a thin boy walked up to Addie. The kid looked genuinely happy to see her and they hugged. From what Sam could tell the boy was fairly good looking, which made him wonder again why they were being set up. ‘I guess that’s just Addie,’ Sam shrugged to himself.

For a few minutes Addie stood talking animatedly to the boy while he appeared almost defeated, then as Sam looked on Addie pointed to him. The boy looked up and their eyes caught momentarily. ‘Whoa, what green eyes.’

A second later the kid looked back to Addie with an expression of pure shock causing Sam to laugh. After that they were both talking and gesturing like crazy. Bemused, Sam wondered if the same stunt had been used on this guy as him. He probably hadn’t realized that by going out to coffee with a friend he was agreeing to meet some new guy.

Eventually they turned together, both walked into the café. Addie took the coats and sat at a table in the far corner near the window, and the boy walked hesitantly up to the counter. As he got closer Sam realized right away how attractive he actually was. With his hat off he could see that his hair was the palest shade of blond and it fell loosely over his forehead and over his ears. His skin was also a pale cream color, but he had a light dusting of pink on his cheeks from the cold. Then there were his eyes, which even from far away were striking, but as he got closer Sam noticed they were pure jade in color- not like most people’s eyes which had some variation. ‘Way to go Addie.

“Hi,” the boy said meekly as he finally arrived at the counter. He brushed his hair nervously behind his ears. “I’m Lucca.”

Sorry for such a long wait.  I'll try to write faster, but honestly my life's a little hectic right now.  I promise to keep writing though :)
Copyright © 2013 intune; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kinda disappointed I didn't get to hear Addie and Lucca's conversation outside the shop. sceptic.gif

I feel like a lugworm about to be scooped up and used for bait. aleric-cry.gif

Link to comment
On 09/28/2011 05:25 AM, Conner said:
Kinda disappointed I didn't get to hear Addie and Lucca's conversation outside the shop. sceptic.gif

I feel like a lugworm about to be scooped up and used for bait. aleric-cry.gif

Parts of their conversation will be revealed next chapter, not to worry.
Link to comment

So Germ and Matt were a couple, and now they're not. Why do I think that the boy who's name he screamed was Lucca - not that he and Lucca had ever done anything, but Matt is secretly in love with Lucca and Germ is getting close to Lucca to find out what's up.

Uff - so I'm totally wrong about this all but it does sound fun anyway :)

Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 08:49 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
So Germ and Matt were a couple, and now they're not. Why do I think that the boy who's name he screamed was Lucca - not that he and Lucca had ever done anything, but Matt is secretly in love with Lucca and Germ is getting close to Lucca to find out what's up.

Uff - so I'm totally wrong about this all but it does sound fun anyway :)

You may be on to something, but it's too early to tell lol. I really appreciate you sticking with me :D give baby q a hug for me too!
Link to comment
On 12/08/2011 01:40 AM, cogito_ergo_sum1666 said:
Geez this is so getting interesting
Glad your into it. Thanks for commenting :D
Link to comment

My reaction throughout this chapter was "omgomgomg!!!" LOL. I love this story!! :D Darn even though I'm trying to prolong it, only three more chapters to go until I'm caught up. :(

Link to comment
On 01/29/2012 09:47 AM, EmDee said:
My reaction throughout this chapter was "omgomgomg!!!" LOL. I love this story!! :D Darn even though I'm trying to prolong it, only three more chapters to go until I'm caught up. :(
haha *has to reread chapter* Oh yeah, this was a busy one. Jeremy is finally starting to get more involved and Lucca and Sam meet too, this was a fun one to write. Glad you are enjoying it :D
Link to comment
On 02/03/2012 08:34 AM, Zolia Lily said:
LOVE how all the threads are coming together... can't wait to see where they lead!!
Thanks :) They're slowly knitting together... I hope.
Link to comment

Andy's thought are along the line of what my mind was conjuring. nice tangled web being woven here. Glad i was correct about addie's intentions. can't wait to see what happens next.

Link to comment
On 05/19/2012 06:18 PM, Jammi said:
Andy's thought are along the line of what my mind was conjuring. nice tangled web being woven here. Glad i was correct about addie's intentions. can't wait to see what happens next.
I think Addie always has the best intentions at heart- even if her motives are a little confusing at times. She's especially protective of Lucca, I think they have a special friendship :) Thanks for the review.
Link to comment

Hell yeah, way to go Addie!!!! WOOT WOOT!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif and that discription of Lucca got me all hot and bothered...He sounds gorgeous... and I know I mentioned that I love Sam, but damn he just keeps getting better and better. Not to mention I love musiciansblush1.gif Glad Germ felt he could talk to Sam and loved how he told his cousin that he poured it on a little thick when he came out to him...hahaha The fact that Lucca intruduced himself after his little spat with Addie, gives me hope. And good ole Matt calling out another mans name eh? this plot gets thicker and thicker all the time...

Link to comment
On 05/31/2012 06:07 AM, Naptowngirl said:
Hell yeah, way to go Addie!!!! WOOT WOOT!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif and that discription of Lucca got me all hot and bothered...He sounds gorgeous... and I know I mentioned that I love Sam, but damn he just keeps getting better and better. Not to mention I love musiciansblush1.gif Glad Germ felt he could talk to Sam and loved how he told his cousin that he poured it on a little thick when he came out to him...hahaha The fact that Lucca intruduced himself after his little spat with Addie, gives me hope. And good ole Matt calling out another mans name eh? this plot gets thicker and thicker all the time...
I agree.. yay for Addie- the other characters would take far too long to do anything without her around ;) I'm glad you like Sam, as you can probably tell I like music too :) I like writing scenes between Jeremy and Sam, they obviously love to tease each other but there's a lot of love there too. Yeah.. good 'ole Matt lol he keeps digging his own grave. Glad you're enjoying the story, thanks for commenting and reading :D
Link to comment

Whoa this is getting interesting. Addison seems to understand everything about the four guys even without explanations. Says something about women's intuition, just hope it doesn't backfire on her.

Link to comment
On 03/22/2013 07:15 AM, Daithi said:
Whoa this is getting interesting. Addison seems to understand everything about the four guys even without explanations. Says something about women's intuition, just hope it doesn't backfire on her.
Thanks for the comment :) Addie is pretty clever ;)
Link to comment
On 10/29/2013 03:18 PM, Miles Long said:
The build up in this story is delicious; I must read more! (Thank you :*) ).
Thank you! I love getting reviews! Glad you're liking the story.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..