Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 14. Scene 14

In which we start to get some answers...

8th January, 1995

Dear Diary of Emotional Exhaustion,

 

My tears have dried now. I don't think I have any left in me.

You can see my writing is much steadier and easy to read. That's because I'm no longer shaking.

My feelings, emotions, are all gone. I used it all up in the last few hours. The world turned from bright hospital lights and pungent smells to something grey and numb that no longer holds my attention. I don't care if I'm still here tomorrow. I don't care if I never go outside again.

The people who came with the nurse were police officers. All 3 of them spoke Fadalesh, so they had no trouble communicating what they wanted from me.

'We understand you're a fairy trying to enter Daisen, is that correct?'

I nodded. I didn’t trust my voice to come out properly.

'And it was brought to our attention that you seem to have committed a heinous crime. Is that also correct?'

What was the point in denying something so obvious? I nodded again. And cried. Whatever their punishment was, I wasn't ready for it.

'Here in Daisen, murder is usually punishable with a long prison sentence. However, we understand that not all those who kill do so out of malice and evilness in their heart. We know that you arrived here in urgent need of care, tired, dehydrated and malnourished. We need to give you a chance to explain your case so we know what to do from now on. Please tell us your story.'

Why would it matter if the killer didn't want to kill someone? A life was still lost. Murder is murder. And should be punished accordingly. I tried to explain it to them (my voice worked, though it came out hoarse, like it had rusted out of shape in my throat), but they're shape-shifters. They don't understand the laws of nature the same way we do.

'It matters because if your crime was the result of an accident or self-defence, you're not the kind of person who needs to be put in a correctional facility to understand what you did wrong and learn to be re-integrated into society.'

Such big words. So empty. It still didn't matter. As a killer, I shouldn't be reintegrated anywhere. The past couldn't be corrected. But my words flew over their heads higher than the angels' celestial cities.

'Your eagerness for punishment is for us a strong sign that we would consider you innocent. Please tell us your story. You'll be granted official permission to enter Daisen afterwards one way or another.'

I tried to tell them I couldn't, that I was guilty and my lack of wings was proof. That punishing me whichever way they saw fit would be easier for everyone. But they kept insisting on the story. They needed to hear every detail of it. And they wouldn't leave me alone until they got what they wanted.

I wasn't ready to tell anyone. I wasn't ready to tell you, my best friend, let alone strangers who couldn't even understand the meaning of what I had done. But they forced the words out, pulled them through tears and sobs and vomit, until all that was left was this empty shell now writing to you.

Maybe now is the best time to tell you too. The emotional numbness will make it easier. I should take the opportunity, in case my feelings eventually grow back.

You'll hear from me soon. I'm going to clear away the pile of tissues and the smelly bile on my hospital gown that I told the nurse to not change just yet. I don't want to deal with people right now. I'll get back to writing when I'm done.

Thanks for reading!
We're now heading to that moment in the story where we find out what exactly happened between Nessa and her step-father. Finally!
Though telling the whole thing is not something even Nessa can accomplish. The next 3 scenes will be at least twice the usual length, and by the time next Tuesday comes around, you'll know everything there is to know - or at least everything Nessa knows - about that fateful New Year's Eve.
You can also choose to become my patron (link on my profile) and skip the wait entirely for just a dollar. If you ever considered supporting a fellow writer, this is the best time to do so.
Nessa's story continues Friday with the first part of her tale inside a tale.
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, Wesley8890 said:

Yay! At least someone is entertaining the idea she's innocent

Fairies see certain parts of the world in strictly black and white terms. Shape-shifters, on the other hand, allow for a lot more grey to seep into their world view...

They're looking at the same facts from different angles and arriving at potentially different conclusions. Not that it comes as a surprise... Just as it probably won't be a surprise with which point of view we agree more.

Which isn't to say we should go and advocate for fairies to change their entire belief system. They do have reasons to believe what they do, but we're outsiders to them just as the shape-shifters are outsiders for Nessa. ;)

Link to comment

That was way lighter than I was expecting. Murder is still murder to Nessa, the guilt is beginning to sink in. At least someone is entertaining the idea of being innocent, then again how can we be sure it's not a ruse for her to swoop to their level, to trust them and when she does that's when they pounce.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, D.K. Daniels said:

That was way lighter than I was expecting. Murder is still murder to Nessa, the guilt is beginning to sink in. At least someone is entertaining the idea of being innocent, then again how can we be sure it's not a ruse for her to swoop to their level, to trust them and when she does that's when they pounce.

I like your mistrust of those people. That's generally a healthy attitude to have. ;) 

Or you can be a serial optimist and be glad that there are some decent police people somewhere. 

Maybe?

Hopefully?

Nessa is going to have to deal with a lot of cultural differences if she's staying in Daisen for the foreseeable future. Some of her convictions may or may not be shaken beyond repair. Others she will cling to until they have to be forcefully yanked away from her and it won't be pretty. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, James Hiwatari said:

I like your mistrust of those people. That's generally a healthy attitude to have. ;) 

Or you can be a serial optimist and be glad that there are some decent police people somewhere. 

Maybe?

Hopefully?

Nessa is going to have to deal with a lot of cultural differences if she's staying in Daisen for the foreseeable future. Some of her convictions may or may not be shaken beyond repair. Others she will cling to until they have to be forcefully yanked away from her and it won't be pretty. 

 

Awha well; she is in a foreign land; I'm not sure if the same rule applies to this land but when you cross the border for another country it unethical, when they find out, they most likely send you back or to jail. On top of that word sure does travel fast about a murder; so it's always good to keep to your tippy-toes, don't always trust what you see as gospel truth or word if it is projected. Words only hold so much leverage, its the action I believe in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..