Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 20. Scene 20

Nessa does things with an IV bag that she wasn't meant to.

9th January 1995

Dear Diary of a Sitting Duck,

 

I’m not sure how I’m going to sleep tonight. I just had a long conversation with the police officers. They explained what is going to happen to me tomorrow when they discharge me.

Yes, you read that right: they’re kicking me out of this hospital. They think I’m well enough to survive on my own.

Not quite on my own, though. I’ll have a guardian and a fake new family. Or something along those lines. My brain is still melting from all the things they explained and all the information they expected me to memorise like some sort of horrible school test. The officers brought along some other person who gave me a much longer introduction than anyone would ever need. She went beyond the usual name and pronoun, saying she was a “social worker” (whatever that means) and she thought fairies were the most wonderful beings in the universe and her favourite colour was pink. For someone who claimed to love fairies so much, though, she struggled a lot with her Fadalesh. Which was particularly painful to witness when she was ogling about every single little detail of the great care system the Daisenians created.

The worst part is that I can’t even tell you how great it really is, because I paid more attention to the drip drip of the IV bag next to my bed than I did to that woman. I tried my best to treat her like a teacher at school and soak up every sound she made, but after a minute her monotone voice was filled with words that were too complicated and weird to be Fadalesh. All was lost.

That said, I learned that two hours of talking emptied about half of the IV bag. Useful information, I know.

What I did manage to learn in those two hours worries me, though: they’re going to send me to live with this guardian angel who manages a house with four other teenagers like me.

‘Are all the teens criminals?’ I asked when the social worker said they would have similar backgrounds to mine.

‘You’re not a criminal,’ she answered with a shrug. I didn’t have the energy to disagree at that point. ‘You’re officially classified as a refugee as far as our laws are concerned. And the other minors in your new home are also refugees.’

‘What is a refugee?’

The officers gave me weird looks. Maybe they had already explained it? But the social worker didn’t seem to mind repeating it.

‘A refugee is someone who entered our borders looking for safety. They’re fleeing persecution or harsh conditions in their home country and need assistance to rebuild their lives. You are no longer welcomed among fairies, and we have reasons to believe demons are still after you, so it’s our duty to ensure you can live a safe and happy life in Daisen.’

‘The demons are after me?’ That explained the attack earlier, but it was the kind of thing I hoped wasn’t coming back to bite me. You know, that kind of nightmare you’ve seen with your own eyes and you refuse to believe it’s real because if you do you’re going to freak out and do something really counter-productive?

Well, guess who freaked out and tried to run out of the room with the IV still attached to my arm and four police officers (one of them a demon) guarding the door? And guess who ended up with a massive bruise from a needle dislocating inside my arm and doing all sorts of things it shouldn’t do?

When I think about it that way, I can’t believe they’re letting someone like me out in the world…

As it turns out, the demons Morumpi worked for haven’t given up on me. They can track my movements thanks to some blood magic that happened when Morumpi’s blood touched mine. So technically they can barge in at any moment and snatch me away, like that demon tried to do a few hours ago. That’s why they had a demon officer guarding me before. That officer really is supposed to be on my side…

The house they’ll send me to apparently has some sort of protection ward in it that should keep me safe there. The demon officer is back to their guard duty outside. Everyone is convinced I’ll be fine as long as I do as they say.

But a demon did manage to sneak past the guard and invade my room before. How can I sleep knowing it could happen again? I don’t want to close my eyes and be somewhere completely different when I wake up…

I’m going to stare at the window now. I’ll be back to writing once I feel safe again.

Good night. At least one of us should sleep…

Thanks for reading!
We've reached 20 scenes! Sure, things don't look that great for Nessa right now (and it might get worse), but I'm sure we can find reason to celebrate. Today's scene is even slightly longer than usual to give you something special.
One more scene and we'll be done with this part of the story. It's out of the hospital and into... whatever Daisen turns out to be like. Any guesses?
(if you don't want to wait until Sunday, there's always the option of visiting my Patreon page - link on my profile)

See you Friday!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

When this story started I was like oh hell a freaking fairy story not really interested in them. But then it got me hooked! Love it a lots!!!!!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

When this story started I was like oh hell a freaking fairy story not really interested in them. But then it got me hooked! Love it a lots!!!!!

Yay! You just made my night! 

 

I do try to not go down the route of "yet another freaking fairy story", so I'm glad it seems to be working. 

Though why did you start reading if you weren't interested? Just out of curiosity...

 

Link to comment
On 2/13/2018 at 11:12 PM, Wesley8890 said:

I got bored and figured what the hell.

As horrible as it sounds out of context, I'm glad for your boredom! ;)

 

Link to comment

Well as bad as asylum-seeking sounds it turns out to be in favour for Nessa. Perhaps she will meet a couple of like-minded fairies and magical creatures that will help her along. Eventually their bonds will grow and they will feel like family; then, in the end, they all face the Demon 'Boss' Lord when the time comes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/24/2018 at 8:14 PM, D.K. Daniels said:

Well as bad as asylum-seeking sounds it turns out to be in favour for Nessa. Perhaps she will meet a couple of like-minded fairies and magical creatures that will help her along. Eventually their bonds will grow and they will feel like family; then, in the end, they all face the Demon 'Boss' Lord when the time comes.

Well, well, what do we have here? A prophetic oracle who can see the future and guess all the not-at-all obvious plot points! How could I not have seen this coming! :D

Or maybe not? I mean, "magical creatures"? You make it sound like Nessa will have an entourage of cute little animals around here. Which is actually a cool idea. 

I''m sure the image of Nessa riding into battle in a rainbow unicorn that poops glitter is something we all would like to see. Right? Right? ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, James Hiwatari said:

Well, well, what do we have here? A prophetic oracle who can see the future and guess all the not-at-all obvious plot points! How could I not have seen this coming! :D

Or maybe not? I mean, "magical creatures"? You make it sound like Nessa will have an entourage of cute little animals around here. Which is actually a cool idea. 

I''m sure the image of Nessa riding into battle in a rainbow unicorn that poops glitter is something we all would like to see. Right? Right? ;) 

I mean, come on how cool would that be with Nessa riding a rainbow unicorn, then before the big clash of fairy dust and buckets of water Nessa has her battlecry. I suppose I'll have to keep reading and guessing the not-at-all-obvious plot points lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 6/12/2018 at 12:37 PM, D.K. Daniels said:

I mean, come on how cool would that be with Nessa riding a rainbow unicorn, then before the big clash of fairy dust and buckets of water Nessa has her battlecry. I suppose I'll have to keep reading and guessing the not-at-all-obvious plot points lol

Thanks for spoiling my climax. Now I'll have to go and redo the whole thing!

And just because you guessed so soon, I'll make sure everybody dies chocking in so much glitter, good and bad guys alike.

How is that for obvious plot point? :P 

(and then comes the other plot point that nobody would ever have seen - the fairy of resurrection comes to make sure the good guys actually have their happy endings, though it's going to be one hell of an ass-pull that will leave shit lying around the battleground for years to come)

(sorry not sorry for the mental image) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Just remember, you are the author and the twists that there may be in the storyline are yours to command. The rest of us sitting out here in computerland are merely readers and enjoyers of your work. You are the boss.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Just remember, you are the author and the twists that there may be in the storyline are yours to command. The rest of us sitting out here in computerland are merely readers and enjoyers of your work. You are the boss.

You say that, but only because you haven't seen Nessa asserting her dominance over the plot. She drives it, I'm merely typing it up and making sure internetland can read it. ;) 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..