Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 21. Scene 21

Warning for some body dysphoria.

10th January 1995

Dear Shabby Diary,

 

Looks like I survived the night. I don’t know how much I slept, but it can’t have been much. The demon guard was there every time I spied the door. At least this time they didn’t flirt with anyone.

I think this is the last time I’ll write from this hospital room. I’m not sure if I’m happy or scared to leave this place. I guess I’m both?

I don’t like the hospital. The nurses are still not nice to me (I can’t even tell if they’re the same nurses changing their appearance or different people altogether) and they don’t seem to care that fairies are not supposed to eat meat. I had another unidentifiable carcass cut in tiny cubes and mixed with an omelett for breakfast, and spent the next half hour attached to the toilet while everything propelled its disgusting way out. When I got back to the room, the tree police officers from before (finally shape-shifters who didn’t change their looks from one day to the next!) were already waiting for me.

You have no idea how embarrassing it was! They had already seen me as a sobbing mess of tears, and now I appeared wearing a gown smeared with vomit, stinking of putrefied food, and my hair was all over the place. They must think I don’t care for my apperance. That I’m not bothered by the substantial beard that sprouted under my chin over the last nine days (why can’t they give me razors?). That the sickly yellow gown with all its chunks is a fashion statement.

They were nothing but gentle and polite, but I’m sure they think I’m an ugly fairy who’s never going to make real friends. Never mind me being a murderer (they certainly don’t seem to), what’s going to make me a social outcast here is my haggard look.

I need to find a razor. Scissors. A blade of some kind. My beard hadn’t been bothering me so much until I saw it in the mirror this morning. I’ve never let it grow this much. I can’t even recognise myself anymore. I look in the mirror and I see baggy eyes, sickly skin, a frown instead of a smile, and all that disgusting body hair growing where it shouldn’t.

Then I remember that I’m not the same person anymore. My physical transformation seems so minor when I try to talk to the potted plant next to my bed and it doesn’t say anything back. Or when I try to feel what the outside world is like, understand the nature of this desert nation, and get nothing but the dry air-conditioned air blowing on my face. If I don’t touch my chin and don’t look in a mirror, I can live with a beard. But I don’t have anything to distract me from fairy things I can no longer do. Nothing to help me pretend I’m still a fairy like any other, and I’m just here on an impulse holiday.

As much as I don’t like this place, I don’t want to leave. I don’t want to have to face a strange place, to get to know new people and new rules when I’m not even sure who I am anymore. How can I do it? How can anyone think I can do it?

Do you think I can? You know me better than anyone else here. Tell me what I should do! Pretend you’re not an innanimate bundle of dead trees!

Please?

 

 

I don’t know what I’m hoping for. I’m too old to believe in this kind of magic.

Thanks for reading!
This was Nessa's first direct reference to her being what we would consider a trans woman (there was a comment about not having a uterus a few scenes ago, but plenty of cis women also don't have uterus, so that was more of an indirect hint). Her world is used to not taken gender for granted, though (or conflating it with one's Nether-regions), so the kind of body dysphoria she has is slightly different to what we would expect around here. Nessa is happy with her body for the most part (just not the hair!) and she really wishes she could get pregnant. But her world is just as diverse as ours, so the way Nessa feels is not necessarily the rule for everybody.
If there is a rule at all...
This is technically the end of part 2. On Sunday, we'll move on to something... quite different?
As always, here's a tiny reminder that my patreons can see everything I post one week ahead of everyone else, plus draft scenes, discarded content, and exclusive secrets. *wink wink nudge nudge*
See you Sunday!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

When the sun seems to be coming out another colony decides to detach in the toilet. The nurses should really sort out their priorities; fairies don't eat meat; how hard is it to bring Nessa a fruit-salad. I can relate to not wanting to leave a place that you have considered safe because it gives you peace of mind; I hope that were Nessa goes that she finds her peace, though I believe that is going to be a long road from here. Also, I have never said anything about the changing diary names but that is still a quirky thing; it's like Nessa mind can't settle on a proper name so she names it everything that comes to mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/24/2018 at 8:21 PM, D.K. Daniels said:

When the sun seems to be coming out another colony decides to detach in the toilet. The nurses should really sort out their priorities; fairies don't eat meat; how hard is it to bring Nessa a fruit-salad. I can relate to not wanting to leave a place that you have considered safe because it gives you peace of mind; I hope that were Nessa goes that she finds her peace, though I believe that is going to be a long road from here. Also, I have never said anything about the changing diary names but that is still a quirky thing; it's like Nessa mind can't settle on a proper name so she names it everything that comes to mind.

Now, now, we shouldn't let the actions of one group of nurses define our entire image of Daisenian nurses. Maybe other nurses out there are actually capable (or, more likely, willing) to make fruit salads. Maybe the place Nessa is going to has such nurses. Or maybe we'll never know because Nessa's life will be so wonderful she'll never need nurses again! :) 

(Yeah, right...)

I think by now Nessa has decided the diary will be named whatever is most fitting for the occasion. Why bother with a boring repeated name when you can just call your best friend anything that comes to mind? :D 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, James Hiwatari said:

Now, now, we shouldn't let the actions of one group of nurses define our entire image of Daisenian nurses. Maybe other nurses out there are actually capable (or, more likely, willing) to make fruit salads. Maybe the place Nessa is going to has such nurses. Or maybe we'll never know because Nessa's life will be so wonderful she'll never need nurses again! :) 

(Yeah, right...)

I think by now Nessa has decided the diary will be named whatever is most fitting for the occasion. Why bother with a boring repeated name when you can just call your best friend anything that comes to mind? :D 

Ah, I suppose it will be the day a nurse will bring a fruit salad, rather than the horrible hospital food usually gets, everyone knows the best part of hospital food is the jelly. Let's hope for Nessa that her life does get better, but as they say, no pun to my story lol, its darkest before the dawn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..