Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 26. Scene 26

In which Nessa makes friends.

11th January 1995

Dear Sociable Diary,

 

I don’t want to say I feel happy and safe for the first time since my horrible crime but…

I feel happy and safe.

 

This place… it’s like home, but at the same time it’s so different from home that I can’t even understand how it feels so homely.

I’ve known my housemates for only a few hours, but we’re already like family. They made me laugh, told me stories of the worlds they left behind, and for the first time made me feel like I’m not really alone anymore.

I don’t deserve a family. I don’t deserve people being nice to me. But I still crave it. And I can’t help but smile when I think of everything that happened today. I’m a bad fairy, right? As much as I can still be a fairy, anyway.

‘We can’t change the past, but we can make up for it in the present.’ Those were the words of my guardian angel. I’m supposed to take them to heart from now on. I promised I would try (because noboby can look at an angel and say “no”). But now that I’m alone with you again…

I mean, you understand, right? I’m not supposed to let go of the past. That’s why the loss of my powers is permanent. For the rest of my life, I won’t be able to do anything that a proper fairy does. I won’t be able to forget.

Thanks, Dear Diary. I was feeling great until I started talking to you. You were supposed to be my friend and cheer me up! Stop making things worse!

I have to forget how mean you are, so I’m going to gossip about my new family instead of continuing this conversation. And for you to see how great my new friends are. You don’t have a monopoly on me anymore! You better behave, or I’ll leave you behind!

(Yes, I’m threatening a bundle of paper. I hope my new friends never find out about this.)

And now that I have colour pens again, I get to write each bit in a different colour too!

 

Lóránt - the Guardian Angel (their name gets the golden pen because that seems to be their favourite colour): A serious person, but with a kind smile. Avoids the sun like the plague. They’re the adult responsible for everyone here, though they’re not even 30 years old yet. The others treat them more like a fellow housemate than the voice of reason. Either way, Lórant was the one who defeated the demon at the coffee shop. So they must be really strong and worthy of everyone’s respect. They’re an actual angel, and their angel-made special barrier is what makes this place safe for me. Somehow. I don’t know exactly how it works.

Unn - the merperson (her name is in blue because, well, what other colour was I supposed to use for people from the sea?): I had no idea merpeople could live inland! Though now that I’ve made myself a fool asking Unn all the inapropriate questions, it doesn’t seem so impossible. She has her lower (fish) body pernamently stuck in a water tank on wheels that she controls with a joystick to move around. Aparently being in the tank sucks when the only way up is via stairs, but she would rather be here seeing the world than under the sea with… whatever boring stuff happens over there? She didn’t go into details.

Lydia - the dwarf (she gets her name in red even though dwarves are earth creatures. I don’t like brown so I’m not going to use a brown pen for her): She’s really short and hairy. I think she's about half my height? And she’s got all those muscles that glisten under her tight shirt when she moves. I’m not sure I find it attractive or intimidating. Maybe both? Not that I would ever make a move on her, though. She’s got enough body hair for three of me. Beard, chest hair, arm hair, armpit hair (isn’t that anti-hygienic?), leg hair… you name it, she surely has it. I’m sure she has toe hair too. She seems nice, though, under all that… hair.

Kris - the ??? (Purple pen because it looks nice. I don’t have anything on that guy to match a colour to a personality): I don’t know what race he is. He didn’t say, and nobody else seemed inclined to tell me either. Why would it be a secret, though? Maybe everybody just assumes I would know he’s a shape-shifter because he hasn’t got horns like demons do, or wings like (most) fairies, or the feathery wings from the angels, or the need for a watertank like the merpeople. And he isn’t ridiculously short like a dwarf or ridiculously tall like a giant (though he’s taller than me). So he could only be a shape-shifter, right? Kris is weird, though. Barely said a word to me the whole day. Kept to his dark corner. Maybe he is a fairy who lost his powers too? I guess I’ll find out eventually, but I hate secrets like this.

 

Look at the time! I’ve been gossiping for so long I didn’t realise the lights outside my room have all gone dark.

Remind me tomorrow to write about how weird it is to be in a house that is a single building with no access to nature whatsoever.

I’m going to sleep now too. Tomorrow is a new day, and a new opportunity to make sense of my feelings and get to know my family.

Good night, Dear Diary, good night!

Thanks for reading!
I hadn't noticed we could to colour text until I thought of doing it for this chapter. Nessa may or may not make more of a feature of that... :P
And we're gradually being introduced to new people. They'll have their own proper introduction scenes, so don't worry too much about memorising who's who yet. 
Nessa's comment on Kris mentions all the races in this world: fairies, shape-shifters, demons, angels, merpeople, and giants/dwarves (yes, they count as one. It's... too complicated for end note, but you'll see what I mean eventually).
 
We'll be back on Friday with Nessa being tempted to do something she shouldn't. 
Until then, why not check out my Patreon page in my profile? Maybe there's something there you'll like. ;) 
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So the merperson is technically disabled?I'm imagining her already. Kris is enigmatic and I like it! I think I'll like Lydia!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 2/27/2018 at 3:26 PM, Wesley8890 said:

So the merperson is technically disabled?I'm imagining her already. Kris is enigmatic and I like it! I think I'll like Lydia!

Merpeople's water tanks do function similarly to wheelchairs, and face much of the same obstacles. You won't see Unn going up the stairs anytime soon. Fortunately for her, though, Daisen has generally much better infra-structure than us (particularly for our 1995 standards), so even if Unn can't go up the stairs, she'll still find her way up through other means. 

After reading your comment for Scene 28 I'm liking the way your opinion about Kris is changing. Makes me want to keep throwing curve balls just to confuse you. :P 

The other characters will appear more soon, so we can see if your perception of them changes too. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..