Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 41. Scene 41

In which Nessa tries to write...

16th January 1995

Dear Diary of Calligraphy Fails,

 

If you had eyes I would tell you to look at the pile of books I just dropped next to you. They were so heavy I thought I was going to burst my stitches carrying them from the library. The dictionary alone is like two bricks in one!

And the worst part is that it might have been all for nothing. I got all those books to help me learn the funny alphabet, but none of them tell me how to read the funny letters. They all either show me how to write them, or show me a word written in the language with the translation to my beautiful Fadalesh. How am I supposed to learn that way?

I guess I’ll just have to treat this as an art project instead of a language lesson…

There’s this one book that’s for children to learn how to write. It has all this cute characters speaking in speech bubbles I can’t read and sort of showing the step-by-step of how to write the letters.

Hint: if you need a step-by-step guide on how to draw your letters, maybe you should find easier letters.

I’m now going to use the page next to this one for my first practice. I’ll use my favourite purple pen so the page looks pretty. I don’t think the squiggles will come out as anything other than horrendous, but who knows? Maybe with one whole page of practice I might get one to look nice.

That’s what I’m going to do! I’ll write the first letter the books shows me over and over again. Until it actually looks like the one on the book. And if that works, I’ll use another colour pen to write a different letter, and then another one…

I have the whole afternoon. You’re not going anywhere.

 

Hold on! Change of plans!

Just as I picked up the book from the giant pile, some piece of paper fell from between the books. How come I didn’t see it there before?

It’s just a thin strip of paper with what seems like one word written on it. I kind of like the look of it - it’s properly like an artwork. Maybe I should draw that instead? I can ask Lóránt what it means once I’m done. My first word in this new land!

Here it comes!

And so we have our first scene with an accompanying picture! (scroll down to the first comment to see it)
Sure, Nessa's attempt at writing a new language is not exactly the most beautiful thing to look at, but hopefully she'll improve overtime. She has plenty of time to practice after all...
But what does that word mean? Will we ever know? Is it even plot-relevant? Or is it there just to look (not) pretty?
My original plan for FOHT involved having every scene be followed by an illustration. That got scrapped in part because I ended up never having the time for proper artwork, in part because a runaway kid scared for her life wouldn't be in the right mind to draw the cute things I had in mind.
But now Nessa is sort of safe and almost happy, so maybe the promised artwork will follow soon...
 
SHAMELESS PATREON SELF-PROMOTION ALERT (attending to a special request ;) ): If you like the idea of an illustrated diary, please consider becoming my patron to help me make sure I have what I need to keep both the writings and the artwork going. It doesn't cost much for you, but means a lot to me! (look in my profile for details) 
 
SPECIAL NOTE: I'm going away to Manchester this weekend (playing at the National Concert Band Festival). I'm 95% sure I'll be able to post Friday's scene as usual, but Sunday's scene is definitely getting postponed to Monday. If it turns out I can't post on Friday, you'll see a new scene late-ish Thursday instead.  

 
 

Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting chapter. Nessa seems like she's starting to settle in more. I like her attempt at calligraphy, I'm not quite sure how that fits in the story. I guess I'll just have to wait and see whether or not it does fit in. I hope that Nessa and Lydia make up and then we see where the relationship goes from there and also see if Nessa can find out more about her father and if he's the one who she found possibly living in the giants land. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/4/2018 at 8:20 AM, Butcher56 said:

Interesting chapter. Nessa seems like she's starting to settle in more. I like her attempt at calligraphy, I'm not quite sure how that fits in the story. I guess I'll just have to wait and see whether or not it does fit in. I hope that Nessa and Lydia make up and then we see where the relationship goes from there and also see if Nessa can find out more about her father and if he's the one who she found possibly living in the giants land. 

For now you can take the calligraphy as a bit of extra world-building, and an easy way to add visual elements to the story. 

That said, Nessa is copying a random piece of paper she found inside a book. She still doesn't know what it it says. For all we know, she could have copied the spell to summon the apocalypse so many times over that not even a Messiah will be able to stop it from destroying the world over. 

As for Nessa's father... he's sure mentioned a lot for someone who supposedly died such a long time ago, isn't he? 

Am I actually implying anything by this, though? Who knows...  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..