Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 44. Scene 44

The week of updates continues...

17th January 1995

Dear Dairy Diary,

 

You won't believe who had the same idea as me about using sugary frozen milk to relieve heartache: Lydia.

(Actually, you’ll probably believe it, because who else would be having relationship troubles in this house?)

This could've been the perfect moment for us to talk, for me to explain my ignorance on dwarven social taboos, and for us to kiss and make up like the civilised teenagers we are, but no such luck. She saw me and ran. Left her ice cream behind and everything.

Strawberry flavour. My favourite.

At least I didn't have to wonder how rude it would’ve been to eat someone's leftover dessert, because the low rumble of Unn's water tank announced her approach while I was looking for a spoon. She came in a few seconds later, staring at me with an eyebrow raised and her giant fish tail swinging like that of an annoyed cat. 'I'm here on Lydia's request. She wants me to represent her in any official dealings with you for the time being.'

'What do you mean?'

'Right now I mean that I get to eat her ice cream while I talk to you. In general, it means anything you want to say to her, you have to say to me first.'

'Why?'

By this point, Unn was already at the table and had produced a spoon seemingly out of thin air. She spoke with the first mouthful of ice cream sloshing in her mouth. 'Because that's apparently what you do when you're simultaneously ashamed of, terrified by, and disgusted of the person you also have a crush on. My job here isn't to question her motivations, but to figure out your intentions and bring peace to the realm - or the household.'

I don't think Unn expected me to say anything to that (if her almost desperate mouthfuls of ice cream were anything to go by). A part of me did almost get shocked into silence, but after watching her devour the ice cream like she was on the brink of starvation, silence was no longer an option. 'Why?'

'Why what?'

'Why is Lydia asking you to do this instead of coming to me directly?'

'You seemed to have missed the part where I said she was ashamed of, terrified by, and disgusted of you. That's why.'

'But that's not what I mean!'

Unn finally looked up from the ice cream tub. It was nearly empty. She rolled her eyes as she spoke. 'What do you mean, then?'

'Is this another one of those weird dwarf traditions? Isn't it weird for you too that she asks a friend to deal with her romantic troubles for her?

'I'm not her friend.'

'Ok?' I tried not to sound too confused, but Unn just shrugged. 'Isn't it even weirder that she asks someone who is not even her friend to deal with her romantic troubles for her?'

'I don't care. She's paying me with ice cream. I'll do anything for ice cream. Particularly if Lóránt isn't around to see me eating ice cream.'

'And why is that?'

Unn finished the last spoon-full of the tub. She must have eaten about 3/4 of it on her own, and in just a few minutes. 'Because have you tried eating ice cream under water? There's no such thing as ice cream where I come from. And it's the best thing ever.' She grinned. Her pointy teeth had bits of pink blobs on them.

'No, I meant why Lóránt would have a problem with you eating ice cream?'

'Because technically my body thinks ice cream is poison and I get really sick when I eat just a little bit of it.' She said it with that grin still in place, as if she had not just admitted self-food poisoning. My first instinct was to run and call Lóránt, but she grabbed my arm before I could move away. 'You don't have to worry, it'll take about five minutes for anything to happen. By then I'll be in my room and you won't have to see any of the unpleasantness.'

'Shouldn't you call for help?'

'It's nothing life-threatening. I'll be fine in a few days. But Lóránt acts like it's the end of the world and I should know better and no amount of ice cream is worth the pain.'

'And it isn't?'

'It's ice cream. It's worth anything and everything, and then some more.'

I decided not to argue as Unn finally moved away, leaving the empty ice cream tub behind. She called back to me when she was at the door, though.

'If Lóránt asks, tell them you were the one who ate it.'

Thanks for reading!
This scene was pretty entertaining to write. We should be seeing more of Unn in the upcoming scenes as Nessa tries to sort her relationship troubles. What do you think of her so far?
If the beginning of spring/autumn puts you in a giving mood, now is the perfect time to check my Patreon page and see which of the rewards send your mind on a consumerist frenzy. I'm sure Jesus said something along the lines of "Giveth your hard-earned cash to this creative kid on the internet", so who are you to question his direct orders?
(My mother is a nun, so of course I know what I'm talking about. *wink wink*)
More to come tomorrow!
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I agree with Wesley in that Lydia asked Unn to talk to Nessa because she's ashamed, terrified, and disgusted by Nessa right now. I hope that Unn is going to be alright after eating 3/4 of the tub of strawberry ice cream, especially since she gets ill after eating a little bit. I think Nessa's going to have to go along with Lydia's wishes for now in order to see if they have a chance to get back together. I believe Lorant will know very soon that Unn ate ice cream again and not just a small amount either. The customs that the dwarves live by are strange and anyone who isn't a dwarf doesn't know about these customs. So it seems like the dwarves need to have a bit of a buffer zone where an outsider would be educated in these customs. I hope that Nessa is able to get to where she knows what is and isn't acceptable to the dwarves so that she and Lydia can get back together again. I think this was a little light for Nessa to get back in Lydia's good graces. Thanks for this chapter, I hope that we get to see whether or not Nessa and Lydia make up or not, and that Nessa is able to get more help on the proper things that are not going to cause more problems in the future. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/17/2018 at 11:17 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Ashamed, terrified, and disgusted, wow dwarves have problems

Dwarves have some unique cultural traditions... ;) 

Who knows, maybe the food they eat gives their farts explosive powers, which are highly likely to cause a problem in a tunnel...

But I'm just the author. I won't tell you to like the dwarvian way of thinking or interpreting one's bodily excrement...

Link to comment
On 4/18/2018 at 5:55 AM, Butcher56 said:

I agree with Wesley in that Lydia asked Unn to talk to Nessa because she's ashamed, terrified, and disgusted by Nessa right now. I hope that Unn is going to be alright after eating 3/4 of the tub of strawberry ice cream, especially since she gets ill after eating a little bit. I think Nessa's going to have to go along with Lydia's wishes for now in order to see if they have a chance to get back together. I believe Lorant will know very soon that Unn ate ice cream again and not just a small amount either. The customs that the dwarves live by are strange and anyone who isn't a dwarf doesn't know about these customs. So it seems like the dwarves need to have a bit of a buffer zone where an outsider would be educated in these customs. I hope that Nessa is able to get to where she knows what is and isn't acceptable to the dwarves so that she and Lydia can get back together again. I think this was a little light for Nessa to get back in Lydia's good graces. Thanks for this chapter, I hope that we get to see whether or not Nessa and Lydia make up or not, and that Nessa is able to get more help on the proper things that are not going to cause more problems in the future. 

Thanks for the really long comment!

The problem with taking such a long time to reply to it (has it really been almost a month? I really have to get back on track with those comments...) is that a lot of the things I would've said a month ago have already been answered by the story itself, so what is left for me to say is...

Well, I'm glad you're liking how the story is going. I'll do my best to actually catch up to the comments so I can have properly relevant things to say! :) 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..