Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 58. Scene 58

In which Nessa is about to make a bad decision...

23rd January 1995

Dear Diary of Racing Minds and Hearts,

 

I don't even know where to start. The spell-casting session is over. Unn is not dizzy anymore. The demon didn't try to eat her soul or whatever it is they do to make people evil.

But...

I think I'm about to do something really bad. Not quite "killing-my-step-father-who-may-have-been-forced-to-attack-me" kind of bad, but close.

I'm going to see that demon.

Alone.

To find out about Kris's past.

After Lóránt forbade said demon to tell me anything.

And after Kris ran away terrified the moment he saw the demon.

I'm sure you think I've lost my mind.

I completely agree with you.

It's just...

I have to. The unanswered questions will keep bugging me until someone tells me what this is all about. It won't be Kris, it won't be Lóránt, so it'll have to be the demon.

Maybe it's some kind of hero complex? To rush head-first into something obviously dangerous because you believe it's the right thing to do, even when all your other instincts tell you no good can come out of it... Well, I'm the hero of my own story, so in a sense having a hero complex is fitting...

I don't have much time. Lóránt can't find out what I'm doing, and the demon will leave soon. Our conversation shouldn't take long, unless she decides she wants to take me away too...

It shouldn't be worth the risk. I should turn away now before it's too late. I know that's what you're thinking.

But you didn't see Kris face when he came into the room and his eyes fell on the demon. You didn't see his pale face turn even whiter, his breath being knocked out of his lungs, the sheer fear in his eyes.

And you didn't see the demon smile at it all, and greet him like an old friend. 'Hello, Kris, long time no seen. I'm sure your parents would've sent their greetings if they knew where you are.' She passed her tongue through her pointy teeth, showing them off in that low-key way only demons are capable of.

Kris ran faster than I could process the fact that I understood what the demon said. She would have had no reason to speak Fadalesh to Kris, but her words were crystal-clear to me. Maybe it's a magic trick powerful demons can pull off?

'Do you know Kris?'

'Since he was a little adorable horned baby. He looks awful now without his horns.' The demon licked her teeth again.

'Horned... baby?'

'Yes, of course. Don't you know demons are born with horns?'

I don't care if demons are born with horns or cornucopias.

Kris was born with a horn. The grumpy, scary housemate who was still nice enough to lend me a dress for my date and wants to go clothes shopping with me is a demon. Not a shape-shifter. A demon.

I should've seen it coming. That's why nobody bothered to mention what he was. Nobody wanted me to know, in case I felt even more scared of him.

They were right about that.

'How come he hasn't got them now?' I don't know how I managed to speak at that point.

'Horns for demons are like wings for fairies. You do something unworthy, they get taken from you. Why do you think Kris is hiding under the protection of an angel of all beings? And I'm sure you know all about being unworthy, my little fairy...'

'That's enough! Go to your room, Nessa. We'll finish the rest.'

I've been here ever since Lóránt sent me away.

But now do you understand why I can't stop thinking about all this? I need answers!

Why did Kris lose his horns?

How?

Who is he? What was he doing before he ended up here?

Can I trust him?

Can I trust the demons who seems to have all those answers?

If I don't come back, please tell Lydia I love her more than anything.

Thanks for reading!
Hands up who knew Kris wasn’t a shape-shifter!
Congratulations, you’re way more perceptive than Nessa, and you deserve a special prize for that!
Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, your prize will be the form of a kiss from Nessa, or a hug from Lydia, or a dress from Kris. Pick one!
(But be honest. If this curve-ball plot twist got you in the guts, all you get is Unn’s leftover ice cream.)
Or you could, dare I say, head over to my Patreon page where you can get even more (and actually proper, real) rewards...
You now have two days to guess what is going to happen to Nessa upon meeting this demon. Is she going to get captured? Will the curiosity kill the fairy (or at least cause considerable body harm)?
Maybe Kris will sweep in at the last moment and save Nessa’s arse from danger. Because nothing speaks “strong main character” like being saved by a guy who doesn’t even like you. Right?
Right?
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter. I'm glad that everything went well for Unn as far as her getting the spell put on that keeps her from getting sick in the water. Nessa saw the way Kris acted when he saw the demon. Kris turned very pale and then ran from the room. I didn't see the Kris was a demon coming, I didn't think he was a shape shifter either. I wonder why Lorant told the demon not to tell Nessa why Kris turned pale and then run from the room? I really think Nessa is going to have to Kris about why he lost his horns and is now under the care of an angel. I guess we'll have to wait for the next chapter or so to get the answers about this. I really love the story and can't wait for the next chapter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 5/13/2018 at 10:19 AM, Butcher56 said:

Another great chapter. I'm glad that everything went well for Unn as far as her getting the spell put on that keeps her from getting sick in the water. Nessa saw the way Kris acted when he saw the demon. Kris turned very pale and then ran from the room. I didn't see the Kris was a demon coming, I didn't think he was a shape shifter either. I wonder why Lorant told the demon not to tell Nessa why Kris turned pale and then run from the room? I really think Nessa is going to have to Kris about why he lost his horns and is now under the care of an angel. I guess we'll have to wait for the next chapter or so to get the answers about this. I really love the story and can't wait for the next chapter. 

Lóránt was being respectful of Kris's decision to not share information about his life. If he had not told anything to Nessa, then it wouldn't be Lóránt's place to do so.

And the plot thickens... 

Link to comment
On 5/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Holy crapola batman! I didn't see that one coming!!!!

Yay for plotting the right twists! :P 

At least neither did Nessa, so you're not alone in that...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..