Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Fairy Out of Her Tale - Dear Diary - 63. Scene 63

In which the Paparazzi show up...
Lórant - Rainbow.png

28th January, 1995

Dear Nessa,

This morning Lóránt woke up us earlier than our alarms. The house's front door was overtaken by people with cameras and flashes and megaphones. They called for Lóránt, for them to give statements about the situation and why they let a convicted criminal close to us.

'They want my head,' was how Lóránt summarised the situation to us.

'And your wings, and your reputation, and your freedom, and your job,' was Unn's idea of an uplifting come-back.

'What are they even doing here?' I asked, before Unn's comment had the chance to sink in.

'What do you think? News of Nessa's and Kris's disappearance travelled fast once the case reached court. Public opinion against demons is already at an all-time low since they used Daisen as a battle ground last year. And it has been turning against angels too because the celestial cities refuse to help. So this is too perfect an excuse to cause mass panic and enrage Daisenians.'

'To be honest, I would be fed up with the angels too.'

You must have realised already that there are times when Unn simply cannot be pleasant. Must be some cultural obstacle she is still to climb. This was one of the times.

'I mean, everybody has known for centuries that they're the only people demons fear. Everybody has been suffering for centuries with demons thinking we are their play-things. Nobody has ever been able to effectively keep demons away for long. Not even top Daisenian technology can stop those monsters. But the angels' sole reason for existing is stopping demons. And what they do instead? They build pretty sky cities to pretend the world down here doesn't exist. And all we get are the spares ones who are not fit to live close to the sun.'

Lóránt was standing right next to Unn when she said that. To their credit, they kept a decent poker face, though it is not hard to imagine that Unn's words stung like hot metal on the skin.

'Either way, you are not to leave the house today. Don't speak to the people outside. Don't give them a chance to take pictures of you.' Lóránt turned away from us.

'What if they don't go away?' I asked.

'One way or another, this will be over by Monday.'

Lóránt left us then.

I wish I had the presence of mind to tell Unn how this was all her fault. She should have measured her words properly before spewing out words against angels like that. She lacks the empathy to understand how hard it must be for Lóránt and all the other albino angels who are forbidden from being with their people - not because they were banished like us, but because staying up so close to the sun would kill them. Surely she could understand that...?

But alas, Unn and I obeyed our orders. We stayed in. And Lóránt did not leave their room for the rest of the day.

The only way this will be over by Monday is if they find you by then.

Love,

Lydia

Lórant - Rainbow.png

Thanks for reading!
Nessa's world has paparazzi too! Not even fantasy worlds can get rid of that plague! Oh, the horror!
And unfortunately we still have no sign of our main character, though at least her romantic pair is making up to us by doing a lot of gratuitous info-dump.
Raise your hand if you want to know more about albino angels, or you want details of the battleground Lóránt mentioned.
Raise your feet if you want more of tactless Unn bringing everyone's mood down.
And try to keep your balance if you chose all the options and are about to fall on your bum.
As per usual, my Patreon page is open to all those who would like to help this humble writer make a living out of his imagination.
We'll be back once the paparazzi leave our heroes alone.
Or next Tuesday, whichever comes first...
Lórant - Rainbow.png
Copyright © 2018 James Hiwatari; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope that Nessa and Kris are found safe by Monday. I think that Unn is being very mean even if what she said has any truth to it. It would be nice if we had a bit more information about Lorant than we have right now. Myself I would like to know how it was chosen to watch over the kids, what makes Lorant any more qualified than anyone else? I'm glad that Lydia is still writing in Nessa's journal every day that she's missing, I'm sure Nessa is going to be very happy to know that Lydia wrote to her everyday that she was gone. Another great chapter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/12/2018 at 8:48 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Poor lorant..

I marked this as "sad" because it doesn't feel right to "like" that kind of comment.

 

Yes, I have no mercy for the characters I like. Is there anyone in that story who hasn't got a tragic background?

(As of scene 70, this question becomes even more horrible...)

 

Maybe someday we'll get to a point when everybody is happy, getting together and having children who will be spared the tragic pasts of their parents. 

I mean, the story has to be set in 1995 for a reason, right? Nessa today would be 40 years old. She could even have grandchildren already for all we know... 

(is it just me who keeps thinking that 1995 was just 10 years ago?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/12/2018 at 1:14 PM, Butcher56 said:

I hope that Nessa and Kris are found safe by Monday. I think that Unn is being very mean even if what she said has any truth to it. It would be nice if we had a bit more information about Lorant than we have right now. Myself I would like to know how it was chosen to watch over the kids, what makes Lorant any more qualified than anyone else? I'm glad that Lydia is still writing in Nessa's journal every day that she's missing, I'm sure Nessa is going to be very happy to know that Lydia wrote to her everyday that she was gone. Another great chapter. 

You might like to know that most of your questions about Lóránt will get some answers in scene 72. We'll definitely get to know more about them and how they landed on the job. 

Of course, that says nothing about the circumstances in which we learn that information. 

You have another month or so to try guess!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..