Jump to content

Broken

There are currently no reviews.
Genres: Non-Fiction
Sub-genres: Autobiography
me-at-13.jpg

Growing up gay and OUT in Mississippi in the 70s was unheard of. Well, I had no choice about the out part, and it sucked balls. This isn't a happy happy, joy joy story. This is where my nightmares come from.

This story contains profoundly disturbing elements. It was written as part of the author's therapy to come to terms with his past.
Copyright © 2015 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 0
  • Characters 0
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 0
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

  • Site Moderator

As a fellow born and raised Southerner, I am enjoying your life story so far. After reading the prologue, I am somewhat apprehensive about what may come. It's history. You can't change it, but history is most often written by the victors. It may help in some way to remember that. :)

Link to comment
On 04/10/2015 02:06 PM, drpaladin said:
As a fellow born and raised Southerner, I am enjoying your life story so far. After reading the prologue, I am somewhat apprehensive about what may come. It's history. You can't change it, but history is most often written by the victors. It may help in some way to remember that. :)
There's some dark and disturbing parts- much of it is NOT pretty. When I first posted it, someone emailed me that "Wow- you were really disturbed".

 

No. You think?

 

Yeah- we were messed up but blaming us for it was like blaming a pinata for getting hit with a stick.

Link to comment

Like Rex said, I've only just found this story too. Wow, just wow. So sad, and, although my experiences were no were near this extreme, you write in a way I can really relate to, especially the popularity and school experiences. I myself was bullied and at times would let things build and build until finally I would explode and go on a rampage. That really rang true for me and sent me on my own little trip down memory lane yesterday. You really make the writer do a lot of soul searching. Judgment is something I still fear as a gay man and I often hide my true feelings in order to compete in the professional, socio-political climate. You've captured the essence of judgment and what it feels like to be judged perfectly

I must pick up on the dialogue between characters too. Yours is very easy to read. Often on this site I like the story and the plot, but the dialogue is poor and unbelievable and inevitably makes me stop reading. Your characters talk to each other like real people. I'm an actor and reading your dialogue is like reading a script. You've mastered the art of description and romance and still you bring a beautifully naturalistic dialogue to your characters.

Maybe it's easier with it being autobiographical, but the subject matter suggests otherwise so I'll have to assume your just a really good writer. Either way, I'm hooked on this story and I pray it has a happy ending in some way. Well done for being so brave and thank you for sharing this piece of your life with us.

I'm following and will be rating 5 stars.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..