Jump to content
    jfalkon
  • Author
  • 1,081 Words
  • 859 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Holiday in Green Hollow - 8. Firelight

Firelight

They finally arrived at Tom's home. Unlike Sam's first visit this one did not involve running in the rain. The power was on and they were able to park in the garage. Tom led Sam to the living room and offered him a drink. Sam gladly accepted and sat down comfortably on the couch. He felt somewhat exposed in the light and made a point to look away from his host. His eyes scanned the room. It was perfectly neat. Meanwhile Tom went to the fireplace and began preparing for the marshmallow roast and anything else that might unfold. He moved the large fireplace screen aside.

"Do you need some help?" asked Sam.

"No, I got it. You just relax," answered Tom glancing over his shoulder.

Sam saw something in his eyes that he did not understand. There was an intensity in that look that seemed almost seductive. Sam dismissed it, thinking back to the way he behaved around Mark. Sam watched as Tom reached into the fireplace to open the flue. He had been treated to the same sight on his first visit and liked it even more in the light. He shifted uncomfortably and then picked up a magazine form the coffee table. It was partly a distraction and partly a shield to hide behind. He could not concentrate on it for long. Tom seamed to go out of his way to reach into the fireplace. The awkward reaches pulled his pants tight over his perfectly formed buttocks. Sam wondered if Tom had any idea how great he looked.

Once the fire was lit, Tom pulled a large loveseat in front of it and left the room for a moment. Sam moved to the seat by the fire still trying not to look turned on. He had to imagine Mark beating the life out of him to calm down. He was still concentrating on the gruesome image when Tom sat down beside him with two bags of marshmallows a box of toothpicks and some barbeque skewers.

"Time to roast people who suck!" he declared laughing at the idea.

Then he opened a bag of marshmallows and pulled out a handful of the treats. Next he built a stick figure. Then he put a skewer in its rear end and put it into the fire. "How do you like that, Ms. Trenton?" he asked the bubbling figure.

"Is she the one who got your man?" asked Sam.

"No. I think that guy likes my sister. Ms. Trenton was my high school English teacher," he put out the flames and bit her head off, "your turn."

Sam laughed and started building a stick figure of his own. He followed Tom's procedure, finally impaling the caricature. Then he began to roast it.

"Well? Does the marshmallow man have a name?" asked Tom.

"Yeah, Mark," answered Sam instantly regretting it.

"What? Mark is after your girl too!" Tom laughed.

"No. I mean, yeah," stammered Sam, "I didn't say it was your Mark."

"You like Sally. Don't you?" asked Tom.

"No! I mean I like her as a friend. It's someone else."

Seeing Sam's discomfort Tom changed the subject. Half an hour later Tom regretted making Sam feel at ease. Sam was full of marshmallows and dozing off. Through his half closed eyes he could see Tom sitting next to him. The firelight played over his features giving his eyes a faint golden glow. Slowly Tom moved closer reaching out and gently stroking Sam's cheek with his long fingers. Sam sighed as Tom leaned over and kissed him. Sam pulled him closer almost oblivious to the sound of the door opening. He tried to ignore the approaching footsteps as he kissed Tom's soft lips. He could feel the contours of Tom's lean body pressing against his own.

Tom suddenly pulled away with a shriek. Sam looked up and saw Mark standing over him. His eyes were red with fire and madness. He held an ax over his head.

Sam woke with a start. He nearly fell out of his seat as he tried to locate his would-be attacker.

"Are you Ok?" asked Tom.

"Mark... the ax!" Sam gasped.

"It's just a dream," Tom said taking his hand, "It's not real."

"Oh," Sam sighed, "Thank God!"

"What's going on with you?" asked Tom sounding concerned.

"It was just a nightmare. I've had a lot on my mind lately."

"Like Mark with an ax?"

"I guess you would be able to understand," said Sam deciding that it was better to tell the truth than seem crazy, "I'm...I'm gay and -"

"You are?" exclaimed Tom unable to suppress a smile, "Welcome to my world."

"Thanks," said Sam smiling back.

"So what does the nightmare have to do with it?"

"Tom, I like you. I would have told you sooner but it looks like you and Mark are going to get together," he let his voice trail off with out noticing the look of shock on Tom's face.

"I don't know what you do back there in the city but I'm not into that!" he answered.

"Into what? Love?"

"Not with my cousin!"

"What?"

"I don't sleep with my cousins!"

"Mark is your cousin?"

"Yeah. What did you think?"

"When you were talking about the guy you like I thought it was him."

"No," answered Tom with a grin, "He's my cousin. We've been friends since we were little kids."

"Oh," Sam paused trying to organize the new information in his mind, "So, who's this guy you like?"

"You," answered Tom quietly as a faint pink color spread over his face.

"What?"

"I would have told you but I thought you liked my sister."

Sam slapped his forehead and groaned at the irony. "Alright, I have one more question."

"Yeah."

"Do you have any plans for New Year's?"

"I do now," answered Tom giving Sam a hug.

They sat by the fire for another hour talking. The tension was now replaced by comfort. After calming down they began to feel tired and went to bed. Not bothering with the guest bedroom they laid down together. Sam remembered the last night he had spent in that room. He had spent most of the night in agony looking at the man he did not dare to touch. Now they lay close together but not touching. Then Sam leaned over and shyly kissed Tom's cheek. Tom kissed him back. They whispered "good night" and went to sleep not wanting to spoil something so new and good.

Waking up together the next morning was surreal. It felt like a happy dream to both of them. It took a moment for either one to grasp that it was real. Once fully awake they got ready for the day.

Copyright © 2011 jfalkon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks!  The lack of physical action is probably just a reflection of my personality.  Love scenes have never been my strength.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..