Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 3,294 Words
  • 3,016 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Commencement - 20. Plan B

“What do you mean Brett has a date to the prom?!?!” I asked a little too loudly after Emily told me the news at lunch.

 

“I’m just telling you what I heard,” Em replied. “He’s signed up for himself and a guest.”

 

“Who’s the guest?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know. It just says him and a guest.”

 

“Hey did you hear Reilly has a date to the prom?” Dustin asked as he sat down next to me with his lunch.

 

“Yeah, you have any idea who it is?” I asked.

 

“Nope. Just that it’s a girl who doesn’t go to school here. He didn’t say who it was. Does he have a cousin or something?”

 

“I don’t think so. I know he has an aunt who lives in New York. Who could it be?”

 

“I don’t know, but if you don’t want to go stag to this thing you better get your stuff together. Time is running out and so are the girls,” Dustin said.

 

“Okay, first of all, I don’t want to go to the stupid dance. Second of all, if I did want to go the only person I would want to go with currently hates me and already has a date. And even if that weren’t the case, I couldn’t go with him anyway because of the stupid school board.”

 

Dustin sighed. “Dude, are you ever going to stop bitching about everything and grow some balls soon? All you’ve done is whine and complain about how bad your life sucks since Brett broke up with you, and you weren’t the most cheerful dude even before that.”

 

“Look, Dustin. I have… Problems… Okay? I have problems relating to people like a normal person. I really am working on it and trying to be better. I’m trying not to let what’s wrong with me overpower what’s good. I just need some time to process. Okay?”

 

“Process away,” Dustin said. He turned to Emily, “I swear it’s like talking to a rock sometimes.”

 

With the prom a little more than a week away, it was going to be difficult to find someone who wanted to go with me. April was over, and the prom was on the fourteenth of May! I was still trying to process everything that had happened since that dreadful day when Brett had flipped my life upside down. Now that I’d had time to think about it, I felt even worse than I did before! Then mom went and told me I was autistic or something… How was I supposed to take that? I mean, I knew there was always something different about me, like I just couldn’t connect with people like other people did. It was always a chore for me to talk to people. But I just thought I was an introvert or something. It was just weird.

 

I wasn’t embarrassed about it. Not really. It wasn’t something I was ashamed of. I just thought differently, that’s all. Mom was more than willing to talk about it. She just didn’t want other people to label me or think of me differently. People already thought I was a dork, so there really wasn’t anywhere for me to go on the social ladder anyway. Not that I cared.

 

If Brett had moved on and found himself a girl to go to the prom with, that was fine. Just that everything I’d done and planned to do in my life revolved around him. I mean, why should I want to fight for marriage rights for gay people if the person I wanted to get married to hated me? No, I decided to change my career path again to something less challenging and more predictable – accounting. The idea of slaving away in an office all day surrounded by books and books of numbers made me happy. And that meant I didn’t need Jack’s stupid internship. I didn’t particularly want his money anyway.

 

So after school that day, mom let me borrow the car and I drove myself to Jack’s law office. The receptionist wasn’t nearly as nice as the one at Mr. Bryant’s office. She didn’t offer me any coffee, she just told me to wait in the lobby until Mr. McKenzie was finished with a client. I sat there minding my own business for a few minutes until the door to Jack’s conference room opened. To my surprise, Mr. Taylor and Pastor Carl emerged from the room, along with Jack. They were all laughing and joking as they made their way toward the place where I was seated.

 

“Well there’s the future of our society right there!” Jack said. “Billy! We were just talking about some of the things going on at school.”

 

“This is the Billy Roberts?” Mr. Taylor asked. He offered me his hand and I stood up to shake it. “Well I’m impressed! I’ve heard a lot about you, young man. It’s nice to finally meet you in person.”

 

“Yeah,” I said.

 

“Billy’s mother is one of the members at my church,” Pastor Carl said. “Of course, we’re still working on Billy.”

 

“So what brings you to my office today?” Jack asked.

 

“Your son,” I replied.

 

Suddenly, Jack didn’t look quite as cheerful. “Well you should come into my office and we’ll talk,” he said.

 

Before I went with Jack though, I stopped and turned to face Carl and Mr. Taylor. “One more thing, gentlemen.”

 

“Oh?” Mr. Taylor asked.

 

“Yeah… Gay people aren’t evil. You think I’m a monster because of who I love, but I think you guys are the monsters because of who you hate.”

 

“I don’t hate anyone, Billy,” Pastor Carl replied. “Especially you.”

 

“Didn’t you used to have a son named Nate?” I asked. “How’s he doing?”

 

Carl turned a shade of red I didn’t think human flesh could become. “Listen here you little…”

 

“Carl,” Mr. Taylor said, putting his hand on Carl’s shoulder. “Let it go. You did the right thing.”

 

“Could be worse. He could have slept with his wife’s best friend and hid his illegitimate son for eighteen years.”

 

Carl and Mr. Taylor just looked at each other on that one, obviously confused about what I was talking about. But Jack put his arm around my shoulders.

 

“Let’s just wrap up this little meeting,” Jack said. “John, we’re still on for five o’clock? Mon Valley Country Club?”

 

Mr. Taylor just nodded, looking at me like he wanted to rip my head of and spit down my neck. He and Carl made their way to the parking lot, Jack asked his receptionist to hold his calls and steered me forcefully into his office.

 

“What was that about, you stupid little shit?” he asked as soon as the door was closed.

 

“What’s the matter Jack? You’re not afraid of a stupid little shit’s stupid little mouth are you?”

 

“I thought I made it clear…”

 

“Didn’t your sons tell you? The secret is out. They know. They both know. I’m just surprised they haven’t told you.”

 

“What do you mean, they know?”

 

“Joey and Brett. They know they’re brothers. They’ve known for a while now, actually.”

 

Jack didn’t turn red. He turned white. “That’s… That’s an unexpected turn of events.”

 

“Yeah. So I just came here to tell you to take your stupid internship and shove it. But instead, I have a better idea. Why don’t you give it to somebody who really wants it?”

 

“And who would that be?”

 

“Joey,” I replied.

 

“Joey wants to be an intern?” Jack asked.

 

“No, Joey wants to be your intern! The poor kid actually wants to spend time with you, for reasons that escape me. Seems to me that neither one of your sons had much of a father in their life. You keep putting Joey in rehab to solve a problem that you created! He loves you. Don’t ask me why because you certainly haven’t earned it! But you’re so wrapped up in your own life that you’ve forgotten why you work so hard. Look, I appreciate the offer you made, but I don’t want the internship. I never did. I certainly don’t want any money from you for school. And since your secret is out I guess there’s no reason for you to do it anyway. I just came here to tell you that. I’m surprised they didn’t already tell you.”

 

Jack sighed. He ran his fingers through his hair. “I’m glad Brett knows,” he said. “I’ve wanted him to know for years now. I encouraged Jen to move here years ago when her parents died so I could be near him. You have no idea what this has done to my life, to my family… Everything I’ve done, I did to protect my family. You must believe that.”

 

“There’s a lot of that going around,” I said.

 

“The tighter I tried to hold on to Joey, the more he slipped away from me. I know the heroin and the cocaine are my fault. Brett always seemed the one that got away, the son I should have had. For years, my family has just been three people living in the same house, but living three separate lives. We’re all miserable. I’m going to tell Heather the truth. Jen’s not going to be too happy about it, but I can’t continue to live like this. Thank you, Billy.”

 

“What did I do?” I asked.

 

“You helped me to see something that I’ve been blind to. If there’s anything left of my law office after word gets out, I will offer that internship to Joey, if he still wants it. And if you want, I’m still willing to help you out with college.”

 

“No. Give your money to Joey. More than that, give your time to him. Joey’s a mess, but beneath it is a kid who just wants you to love him. It’s not too late. I’d give anything for one more day with my dad. Brett, though? You can try, but I doubt he’ll want anything to do with you after eighteen years of lies. I don’t think you’ll win that battle. Like you once told me, McKenzie boys are notorious for holding grudges and their tempers.”

 

I felt better than I had in months as I left that office. I didn’t know what I was going to do to pay for school, but it didn’t matter at that moment. I just knew that I couldn’t go on being someone who couldn’t look himself in the eyes when he looked into the mirror.

 

The next day at school, Joey found me before lunch and pulled me aside to a hallway where we had a bit of privacy.

 

“Hey, I know what you did,” he said.

 

“I don’t know what you’re…”

 

“Look man, you didn’t have to say anything to my dad but I’m glad you did. Brett’s been trying to figure out how to say what you did to my dad for two weeks now. He doesn’t want to blow things up any more than he already did. When he first figured it all out and he was stuck at home with that stupid cast on his leg he wanted to destroy everybody. But I think since he’s seen how bad he felt after that trip to Buffalo, and how horrible you feel, he’s trying to figure out how to do this without feeling miserable and taking down everybody involved. He just wants people to be honest with him.”

 

“I understand,” I said.

 

“Good. Anyway, when dad came home last night he had a really long talk with my mom, I mean, like two hours in their bedroom. I guess he told her the truth. The good news is there was no screaming or anything like that, but mom slept in the guest room last night. Neither of them know what’s going to happen next, but at least they’re talking. So I’m guessing that soon enough Brett’s mom is going to find out my mom knows. I don’t foresee that conversation going very well.”

 

“How’s Brett handling all this?”

 

“Not very well. You know Brett. He gets a big idea in his head of how he’s going to do something but then when it actually happens he feels bad about it. All he’s talked about for two weeks now is how he should have just told you he knew instead of dragging you up to Buffalo. He had a picture of how that was going to go that didn’t end up like he thought it would. I don’t know... He’s too impulsive sometimes. He gets an idea in his head and just runs with it without thinking it through. Anyway, I’m on the prom committee and everyday he asks me if you’re going to go. I think he really wants you to go, but he’s afraid to talk to you right now.”

 

“I really don’t want to go. I don’t want to see a bunch of assholes I hate having a good time when I can’t be with him.”

 

“You don’t think Brett feels the same way? Look, Billy. I know we’ve never really been the best of friends. We both have our reasons. I know what I did to you was unforgivable. I am sorry. All I know is he’s my brother. I love him. And he’s miserable without you. Yes, he’s angry with you. Can you blame him? You lied to him for two years. But he still loves you. I think if you would just reach out to him and show him you’re sorry… Show him that he means more to you than anything else in your life… I think he’d come around. I know you kept everything about my dad a secret because you wanted to protect him. No one knows better than me how intimidating my dad can be. I think now that Brett has calmed down he’ll be more willing to talk than he was before.”

 

“I never wanted to hurt him,” I said.

 

“I know. I think he knows that too. It just turned into such a clusterfuck in the end. Find some way to show him what’s in your heart, because words just aren’t going to cut it with him.”

 

I thought a lot about what Joey had said to me. I wondered what I was going to do. There was a deadline at the end of school Friday to sign up to go to the prom, but I didn’t know what I was going to do. Should I sign up to go solo? God, that would be humiliating! I guess it’s what I deserved, but I didn’t want to become even more of a loser than I already was. If I was going to go, I definitely needed a date. But who? There was seriously no one left to ask. Even Dougie had found some girl to go with. I heard it was his cousin. Well I didn’t have any female cousins! I barely knew any girls at all.

 

I sat there at lunch with Dustin and Emily. They didn’t have to worry, they were going together! Dustin was sitting there talking about how some pro baseball scout had talked to him after our last game and I sat there barely paying attention to him.

 

“I think they were from the northeast from the way they talked. You know how Brett used to talk when he first got here? That’s how they talked. I can’t believe they were actually interested in me! Could you imagine if I actually got drafted?”

 

I really couldn’t have cared any less about what Dustin was rambling on about. I had problems of my own. But then, I suddenly snapped to attention. “That’s it!”

 

“What?” Dustin asked.

 

But I didn’t even answer. I hopped out of my seat and walked determined across the cafeteria and found Mary Caldwell seated by herself. I sat down across from her. Mary had Down Syndrome and while she had been a part of our school forever, it was like I was seeing her for the first time.

 

“It’s rude to just sit down with someone without asking,” Mary said.

 

“Sorry,” I said. “It’s just… I was wondering if anyone had asked you to go to the prom?”

 

“Are you joking?” she replied.

 

“No, I’m serious. If you don’t have a date, would you want to go with me?”

 

Mary looked at me as if I had grown an extra head. “I thought you were gay,” she said.

 

“I am,” I replied.

 

“So why would you want to go to a dance with me?”

 

“I’m going to be completely honest, Mary. I am gay. I like boys, well, one boy in particular. But I can’t go with him because of the rules. What I really want to do is show the people in charge that they shouldn’t discriminate people just because of who they like. You’re one of the nicest girls in school, and the fact that no one has asked you to the prom sucks. If you want, I’d like to take you. Your ticket is already paid for. All you’d need is a dress.”

 

Mary thought about it for a minute. “Isn’t Brett Reilly your boyfriend?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I like him. He’s in some of my classes. He always makes me laugh. Okay, I’ll go with you.”

 

“Awesome!” I replied. “So pick you up about six or so on Saturday?”

 

“Four,” Mary replied. “If you’re taking me to this thing you’re taking me out to dinner too.”

 

I laughed. “Boy, you drive a hard bargain! Okay, four o’clock it is!”

 

I turned to return to my table, but then I stopped. “You know, you don’t have to sit here by yourself if you don’t want to. My friends and I would be happy if you would sit with us.”

 

“You wouldn’t be ashamed to be seen with me?” she asked.

 

“No way! We’d be honored to be seen with you. Seriously. Come sit with us on Monday. Okay?”

 

“Okay,” she replied.

 

I walked back to my seat next to Dustin and Em.

 

“What was that about?” Dustin asked.

 

“You still on the prom committee?” I asked Emily.

 

“Yeah,” she replied.

 

“Good,” I said. I pulled out the two tickets my mom had given me from my pocket and handed them to her. “Put me down for myself and a date.”

 

Emily looked across the cafeteria to Mary and then back to me. She smiled. “Mary Caldwell?” she asked. I just nodded. Em leaned across the table and kissed me on the forehead. “You’re a good man, Billy Roberts,” she said.

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate the support. Looks like about four more chapters or so to go.

Next time - Prom Night
Copyright © 2017 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It’s amazing what Billy can do when he actually thinks about someone else for a change! Turning down the internship with Jack’s firm is something he should have done long ago. Deciding to take Mary Caldwell, a student who has never been mentioned before, to the Prom is another good thing! Billy needs to think outside himself more often.  ;-)

 

Now, what can Billy do to convince Brett of his regret? I have no idea. And, at this point, it seems as though Billy is just as clueless.  ;-)

Link to comment

He’s far from reformed, but I give Billy some credit. The constant thorn in Carl’s ass. He didn’t continue to sell his soul to the devil by taking bribe. He even tried to help Joey. While sweet, not sure why he chose Mary to be his beard. I don’t see it as a nice gesture. At least he doesn’t have to worry about what base he’ll be sliding into.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ok, Billy is sloooooowly working his way to some form of redemption, in my mind. I do find it interesting that Joey and Brett never said anything to Jack. Hmmmmm...wonder why that is. As for the Mary bit, I think it is nice that Billy asked her but I can't bring myself to delve too deeply into it. Bad memories need to stay where they are. I don't have Down's but being called deaf, dumb and blind kinda sucks too.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Billy is working his way back to showing Brett he is still a "good" person even though Brett may be pissed at him.  The fact that he turned down the internship and the money and then told Jack to offer it to Joey shows both Joey and Brett that he may be changing.  It was even done without the expectation that Brett would even find out about it.  Asking Mary to the Senior Prom is also another step in the redemption that Billy is seeking.  Thanks and can't wait for the Prom and to see who is Brett's date.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I guess asking a former teacher wouldn’t be cool. But inviting the sponsor of the disbanded GSA would be a nice way to stick it to the administration without violating any of those new rules! I wonder if she’d agree?  ;-)

Link to comment

I have to say that there is one thing that surprises me after the last few chapters.  I know that Brett and Joey have always been friends, but Joey is taking this very well.  To find out that you have a brother who is only 2 weeks older than you, and that he was conceived due to his fathers infidelity, had to have been a shock.  At other times in the story he has mentioned that Jack seemed to react to Brett being hurt differently than if he had been hurt.  Joey had to have done the math and maybe realized that he was an afterthought, or a make up baby.  He could have taken out his frustrations on Brett, but he has remained just as supportive to his half brother as he always seemed to be.  Joey has matured and I was worried about him a few chapters back, but maybe the family can rally around and finally heal.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Well, now Billy's getting on the right path.  Starting with the internship.  I think Billy did the right thing at the wrong time, and a little bit for the wrong reasons.  He would've gone through with it if Brett hadn't dumped him.  I can see Billy being an activist for gay rights, but not a lawyer.  Still, he did turn down the internship, and managed to sneak a hit at Pastor Carl while doing it, so I give him credit for that.  What really made me proud of Billy, though, is how he pushed Jack to give it to Joey instead.  That's the unselfish part, and Billy had no reason to try and do a good thing for someone he hates so much.  I don't think this will go unnoticed by Brett, and trying to help Joey will mean a lot more to Brett than if Billy had simply given up the internship.

 

Inviting Mary to the prom was also a nice gesture.  And thankfully, he's being completely honest with her from the start.  I think word of this will get back to Brett as well, and he'll be happy that Billy went to the prom.

 

Now both boys have their prom dates, I wonder if they can play on technicalities and screw over John Taylor.  Suppose Brett and Billy were to show up at the prom with their "dates", and decide to spend the prom with each other instead, they didn't really violate school rules, so Billy should still have a shot at valedictorian.  That's the major roadblock to them getting back together, I think, but the way Billy is now he'll probably be able to talk to Brett and explain why he's so obsessed with beating Sarah Taylor.  Maybe there's a bit of selfishness, but it's mostly the principle of valedictorian being handed out through nepotism instead of merit.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

B).................. I'm disappointed on how many people here are throwing so much of the blame on Billy.  Jen and Jack manipulated Billy into being silent, Billy wanted to tell Brett long ago, and implored Jen and Jack to do so/  Jen was worse she was aware of Billy's condition and took advantage of him. Jack is starting to man up, and surprisingly thanked Billy.  I find it easy for Billy to accept Joey's apology now, he really sounded sincere and was very grateful for Billy telling Jack (and telling him off)  In fact Jack and Jen should tell Brett the truth about Billy and how they used him.  Dustin is a little nervy, considering Billy saved his life and was there in hospital for him until Dustin threw him out. (plus he must of forgotten where he spent almost a year).  Finally, Billy's mother should tell Brett of Billy's condition.  Great Chapter, Prom is going to be so much fun!!         P.S. I hope Billy asks and shares a dance with Brett, after all they are following the rules.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Benji said:

B).................. I'm disappointed on how many people here are throwing so much of the blame on Billy.  Jen and Jack manipulated Billy into being silent, Billy wanted to tell Brett long ago, and implored Jen and Jack to do so/  Jen was worse she was aware of Billy's condition and took advantage of him. Jack is starting to man up, and surprisingly thanked Billy.  I find it easy for Billy to accept Joey's apology now, he really sounded sincere and was very grateful for Billy telling Jack (and telling him off)  In fact Jack and Jen should tell Brett the truth about Billy and how they used him.  Dustin is a little nervy, considering Billy saved his life and was there in hospital for him until Dustin threw him out. (plus he must of forgotten where he spent almost a year).  Finally, Billy's mother should tell Brett of Billy's condition.  Great Chapter, Prom is going to be so much fun!!         P.S. I hope Billy asks and shares a dance with Brett, after all they are following the rules.

 

 

 

I disagree with most of this, and I'll try to explain why.

 

Yes, Billy was manipulated (intimidated is more accurate, in my opinion), but he still had many opportunities to come clean and tell Brett, yet he kept his mouth shut the whole time.  I'll admit this is partly because Billy wasn't able to pick up the signals due to his condition, but if he really felt so guilty about this, he could've told Brett and accepted the consequences.  The time to tell Jack to take his internship and shove it was when he offered it in that hospital room, but he didn't.  I also think it's entirely fair to blame him for letting things get to this point when literally everyone he talked to about Jack told him to confess to Brett to prevent his current situation from happening.  I do agree about Jen taking advantage of him, though.  Now I can't help but wonder if, all these years, she ever saw Billy as more than a patient or case study for her book.

 

Jack and Jen should tell Brett the truth, but I doubt Brett will listen to them, let alone believe what they tell him.  No, Brett doesn't want anything to do with either of them at this point, and any truth-telling would have to come from Billy, or maybe Joey confirming their story.  Brett needs to hear the truth from someone he trusts, and that list is very very short at the moment.

 

I can't really blame Dustin either.  Yes, Billy saved his life, but he contributed to letting Dustin get to that point in the first place, and he lied to him much like he lied to Brett.  I also understand why Dustin treats Billy like a selfish, whiny brat, because he kind of is being one and needs a kick in the rear to get him to start fixing things instead of complaining about how his life sucks now.  I do think Billy should tell him about his condition, though.  I'm sure Dustin would understand and support him.

 

As for telling Brett, again, I think Billy needs to be the one to tell him.  He also has to be careful in how he tells Brett so he doesn't sound like he's using it as an excuse.  But maybe Brett already knows about it.  After all, he might have happened to look through a copy of his mother's newest book while he was stuck at home.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Shadow086 said:

I disagree with most of this, and I'll try to explain why.

 

Yes, Billy was manipulated (intimidated is more accurate, in my opinion), but he still had many opportunities to come clean and tell Brett, yet he kept his mouth shut the whole time.  I'll admit this is partly because Billy wasn't able to pick up the signals due to his condition, but if he really felt so guilty about this, he could've told Brett and accepted the consequences.  The time to tell Jack to take his internship and shove it was when he offered it in that hospital room, but he didn't.  I also think it's entirely fair to blame him for letting things get to this point when literally everyone he talked to about Jack told him to confess to Brett to prevent his current situation from happening.  I do agree about Jen taking advantage of him, though.  Now I can't help but wonder if, all these years, she ever saw Billy as more than a patient or case study for her book.

 

Jack and Jen should tell Brett the truth, but I doubt Brett will listen to them, let alone believe what they tell him.  No, Brett doesn't want anything to do with either of them at this point, and any truth-telling would have to come from Billy, or maybe Joey confirming their story.  Brett needs to hear the truth from someone he trusts, and that list is very very short at the moment.

 

I can't really blame Dustin either.  Yes, Billy saved his life, but he contributed to letting Dustin get to that point in the first place, and he lied to him much like he lied to Brett.  I also understand why Dustin treats Billy like a selfish, whiny brat, because he kind of is being one and needs a kick in the rear to get him to start fixing things instead of complaining about how his life sucks now.  I do think Billy should tell him about his condition, though.  I'm sure Dustin would understand and support him.

 

As for telling Brett, again, I think Billy needs to be the one to tell him.  He also has to be careful in how he tells Brett so he doesn't sound like he's using it as an excuse.  But maybe Brett already knows about it.  After all, he might have happened to look through a copy of his mother's newest book while he was stuck at home.

 

 

B)....................I'm not sure you understand my points, every one else is overly pointing their blame at Billy, there were many more to blame.  I think his mother should have spoken out immediately after Billy spoke the truth about Joey in front of the Pastor, Jack and congregation. Even his father tried to tell him about his social blunder afterwards. Maybe in his mind he tried payback to Joey's bullying in church then most if his friends told him what a shit it was to do in public, but Billy didn't see it that way.  So this time he wants Brett to know, he just  doesn't want to tell Billy himself, after all it is the responsibility of Jen and Jack to do so. Because he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, in fact he is told that by Jack and Jen it will destroy their families.  Both actions would be socially wrong, but Billy is NOT socially skilled. It has been noted several times in this story, that Billy felt himself different from others, not close to anyone(until Brett). Too bad he couldn't trust his mother who could of helped  but would of been glad to help them breakup.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Benji said:

 

B)....................I'm not sure you understand my points, every one else is overly pointing their blame at Billy, there were many more to blame.  I think his mother should have spoken out immediately after Billy spoke the truth about Joey in front of the Pastor, Jack and congregation. Even his father tried to tell him about his social blunder afterwards. Maybe in his mind he tried payback to Joey's bullying in church then most if his friends told him what a shit it was to do in public, but Billy didn't see it that way.  So this time he wants Brett to know, he just  doesn't want to tell Billy himself, after all it is the responsibility of Jen and Jack to do so. Because he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, in fact he is told that by Jack and Jen it will destroy their families.  Both actions would be socially wrong, but Billy is NOT socially skilled. It has been noted several times in this story, that Billy felt himself different from others, not close to anyone(until Brett). Too bad he couldn't trust his mother who could of helped  but would of been glad to help them breakup.

Oh, I thought you meant how we the readers were blaming Billy :rolleyes:........I agree Billy isn't the only one to blame, and I've said it many times.  However, I don't think that calling Billy out on his shitty actions is blaming him for everything, but he probably sees it that way.  And since the story is told from Billy's perspective...  That's probably also why we didn't see his parents' reactions as them trying to teach him that the way he acted was wrong, but instead as them blaming him and ignoring what he has to say.  Billy was stuck because Jack and Jen basically made him choose between his boyfriend and his family.  While I think Billy's mom was wrong to hide his condition from him, it's really hard to say for sure whether or not they did try to help him be more socially skilled.  He's not socially skilled, and that makes him come off as selfish and arrogant, so it's hard for me to blame the people around him from reacting and treating Billy like a selfish, arrogant prick.  All his friends said was along the lines of "What is wrong with you?  You don't treat people like that!".

 

But the breakup is mostly Brett's fault, I think.  He wanted Billy to be honest with him and respect him, but if he'd been honest with Billy and confronted him instead of playing this silly game, this wouldn't have happened.  It's likely that Billy would've caved in and told Brett everything if if he heard the words "I won't hate you."  That's it.  That's all Billy needed to spill the beans.  But Brett had to be a little brat and fuck things up for both of them.

 

I find it kind of funny that Joey's the one playing mediator and trying to get them back together. :gikkle:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

B)......................That's exactly right!  My grandson always was described by classmates as an arrogant, selfish, know it all, with little to none friends.  It wasn't until he was 12 years old he was diagnosed as high end autistic  with a near genius I.Q. level. (He has had one friend from 9th to 11th that was a bit similar except he had lots off friends and was popular, who moved)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 4:05 AM, noahthesmallpotato said:

It's feels weird not to hear even a single word from Brett in this chapter. Somehow, it felt incomplete.

Incomplete... just like Billy without him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..