Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 4,213 Words
  • 1,832 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Angels Ascending - 2. Part Two

Chapter Three

     

The Demon Centurion

     

Alex could not take his eyes off his reflection. With the daily treatments of Anima, given to him by Field Marshal Xavier, he had grown to seven feet in height with his body turned into a copy of Xavier's mass of muscles. Chest hair had also started to show up, hair that Xavier took pleasure in shaving off

Now towering over the other boys, Alex was forced to spar only against the weapons masters, as very few people could withstand his heavy but quick blows. Even so, Alex had severed the limbs of three of his teachers in practice spars. Many of those teachers did not understand the changes in Alex. He was short tempered, arrogant, and impatient. The students, who had become Alex's friends when he had been with Jason, were now afraid of him.

For his "accidents" in sparring, and rudeness to his teachers, Alex had ended up being lashed several times in front of the school. But instead of teaching Alex discipline, it led him to more bouts of anger and depression.

Alex complained to Xavier of feeling lonely and hated. The Field Marshal worried that Alex would figure out that all the changes could be traced to his arrival. To correct this, Xavier used his influence to encourage the Legatio students to fawn over Alex. They could be heard cheering Alex as Field Marshal Alex...leader of the Academy.

This, of course, did not please Commandant Oktor. He wanted someone to teach Alex a lesson in humility. To do this, he turned to double sword master Lorin.

Asking the thirty-nine year old weapons master to his office, Oktor told Lorin what he had in mind. The sword master's face took on a worried look. "I am sorry, commandant, but I am not sure if I can do what you are asking."

"I am not asking, I am ordering," Oktor said darkly.

"Sir...Alex is one of the best men I have ever trained. I am not sure if I can just ‘teach him a lesson', sir."

"What are you saying?" Oktor demanded.

     

"Sir... Alex is no longer a student; he is a master in his own right. For me to even hurt him will require me to fight as if my life depends on it...a fight that will lead to either his or my own death."

"You have noticed the change in the boy?"

"Yes...and I have to ask you...who let Xavier become his mentor?"

"I had no choice. How was I to tell a Field Marshal that he does not have the right to pick Alex as his student?"

"But, it is you who want me to punish Alex for something over which he has no control."

"Xavier will use the boy...for a purpose that I believe will endanger Domus. What is the Academy tradition when we find a student who is too dangerous?" Oktor asked with great difficulty.

"Are you saying that Alex is such a boy?" Lorin said, shocked.

Oktor remained silent for a long time before replying. "I am. Give Alex his final lesson."

"Either that, or he will give me mine," Lorin said before leaving.

Lorin went to his office and picked up his double-bladed sword. It was not as fancy as the one Alex now owned. It was, in fact, the first double sword Lorin had ever been given. Both blades had been replaced many times, as had the wooden grasps, but the iron hilts were original. This weapon had been his companion through two military campaigns and seven years of teaching others how to use the traditional Centurion weapon. The sword felt so familiar and comfortable in his hands that he would often sleep with it...that is, when none of the other teachers were with him.

Lorin remained in his office, deep in meditation, until the bell signaled the start of class. As he left, he looked back, believing that it might be the last time he would see it. Walking over to the practice field, he saw Alex standing by himself. No one was willing to be even near him.

"Alex...why are you not dueling?" Lorin asked calmly.

"No one is willing to face me," Alex said bitterly.

"Then I guess you will have to face me," Lorin smiled.

     

"Really?" Alex said hopefully. If there was one man he still respected at the Academy it was his sword master.

"Yes...just like old times; a chance to give you a final lesson." Lorin smiled, but said this in a sad tone.

"Great!" Alex shouted with joy, some of his old self showing.

"Now let's start slowly. I want to see your skill, not your muscles," Lorin said just before bowing.

"I'll try...this body sometimes has a mind of its own." Alex smiled before bowing.

"To be a true weapons master, you must master your body as well as your emotions," Lorin said as he moved into a guard position.

Alex only grunted on hearing that. He was tired of people telling him he had a bad attitude.

The spar began simply enough, each one testing the other for weaknesses, but when Lorin went from being on the defensive to an all out attack, Alex had to use all his skill and strength to defend himself. Even so, he was lucky to escape with only a deep gash to his left arm.

"Good Alex...I thought I almost had you!" Lorin grinned, truly impressed by his student's skill.

"You almost killed me!" Alex said angrily, almost throwing his sword down to punch his instructor.

"I wanted to see how good you really are."

"But..." Alex said uncertainly.

"Fight me Alex...fight me or run away," Lorin dared.

"Why?" Alex asked, confused. His weapons master actually sounded angry, something he had never seen before.

"You are a Demon. As your weapons master, it is my job to prevent you from damning yourself and our people."

Alex did not know what to say. He knew the term Demon meant two things. First, it referred to a mythical creature, a Demon with skin black as midnight, claws growing out if its hands, and fangs for teeth. This creature was considered violent, dangerous, and unpredictable. And, only one other mythical creature, an Angel, was believed able to control it. Second, the term applied to an out-of-control, violent, dangerous, and unpredictable Centurion...a Centurion whose thirst for blood outweighed his humanity.

If it was decided that a student was a danger of becoming a Demon, tradition held that it was the job of a weapons master to give this student one final lesson. It was a lesson that could only end with the student's life being forfeit. It seemed that Lorin believed that Alex posed such a threat, and was here to kill him.

"Please, Lorin...give me a second chance," Alex begged.

"Is this how I taught you, to be a coward?" Lorin said in distaste.

"I don't want to kill you," Alex said, tears now building in his eyes.

"You really think you can beat me? I am the master!" Lorin said, swinging an angry blow at Alex. His own face was streaked with tears.

Alex blocked his master's sword with ease. "I don't think...I know I can," Alex said resolutely.

"Then prove it." Lorin grinned as the real duel began.

The two men fought for almost an hour, each one giving the other only minor wounds. Each was of near equal skill. During it all, both men fought for their lives, but also found they were enjoying it. Light banter, and even laughter, came from both men as they fought across the dueling floor. With each cut and scratch they gave each other, the two men made fun by giving names to them, calling one on the arm an "Oktor", and the leg a "Philip". Alex even named a near fatal cut across his chest, near his heart, "Jason". In the end, though, the reality of how the duel had to end began to break through. Due to all the Anima Alex had consumed, he healed much faster than his weapons master. That made all the difference.

Lorin, becoming weak from loss of blood, gathered his strength for one final attack but, as he made his final blow, Alex met it with such great force that it broke one of Lorin's iron blades before continuing its downward journey to sever Lorin's right arm off.

Alex, having only intended to block his sword master's blow, screamed as he saw Lorin fall to the ground, dropping his weapon. "Master!"

"Finish it," Lorin begged, his free hand grabbing the point where his arm was severed.

"I can't!" Alex cried.

"You must, Alex...don't leave me to wear the mark of a cripple."

"Please!" Alex wailed.

     

"Do it!"

"No..." Alex refused, walking away.

"Damn you, boy! If you will not give me an honorable death I will hunt you down and kill you," Lorin cursed.

"No..." Alex said as he continued to walk away.

Just then he heard a sharp scream. Turning around, he saw Xavier holding a pike whose tip was stabbed into Lorin's stomach. Blue Amina was pouring out.

"No!" Alex shouted in shock.

"Never leave an enemy behind when you have a chance to kill him," Xavier admonished, as he kicked a throwing knife out of Lorin's remaining hand.

"I didn't want him to die," Alex cried, going down on his knees to hold his teacher.

"Don't cry, Alex..." Lorin smiled as his life was leaving him.

"Please don't die...I have so much more to learn," Alex begged.

"You will always be learning, Alex, but now you know what it feels like to lose someone you love. What you take from this experience will help decide your future. Please don't let bitterness poison your heart."

"Please..." Alex continued to beg, but it was too late; the sword master was dead.

"Oktor has just ordered you expelled. You have nowhere to go. You will come with me," Xavier said in a threatening tone.

"No," Alex refused.

"Yes you will, boy...and you know why?"

"Because you will kill me if I don't?" Alex said as if he didn't care.

"No...because only I can give you the anima your body will soon be screaming for."

"I don't need anymore anima...I think that is what has made me into the monster everyone thinks I am."

"Yes...I have made a real Demon out of you, but you can't stop now. I have given you so much Anima that your body depends on it. You are now an addict... a mythological vampire...needing to feed on the Anima of your Centurion brothers."

"I don't believe you," Alex stuttered.

"Prove it." Xavier grinned sinisterly as he took out a vial of the blue elixir.

     

On seeing the bright blue fluid, Alex's mouth began to water. His whole body ached to feel the elation, sexual arousal, and power anima always gave him. He made to grab the vial from Xavier's hand, but the larger man pulled it just out of reach.

"Follow me." Xavier grinned, leading Alex back to his guest room.

Xavier then pulled down his pants, taking out his hardening manhood and poured some of the Anima on it. "I think you know what you have to do."

"Yes," Alex stuttered, not able to take his eyes off the blue fluid.

After Alex got on his knees, Xavier took the young man's head and pulled it to his sex. Alex sucked eagerly, trying to take every drop of Anima off Xavier's manhood. Every now and then Xavier would pull Alex's mouth off so he could pour more of the fluid on. Soon after he poured the last of the anima, Xavier exploded in Alex's mouth.

Xavier, seeing Alex's own cock hard and standing tall, lowered him to the ground while pulling his pants and loincloth down at the same time.

"My turn." Xavier chuckled as he took out another vial of anima and poured it on Alex's hard sex.

Alex did not last as long as Xavier, and soon came into the Field Marshal's mouth. Xavier then climbed further up Alex and kissed him. "Admit it, Alex, I am the only person who is willing to take care of you."

"You...you want to use me," Alex struggled to say through the fog of sex and Anima.

"And don't I treat you well in return? I will never abandon you like Philip and Jason."

"...But what do you want from me?"

Xavier grinned; he had been waiting for this moment. "I want your bond...I want you to give me your Anima."

"Have you not bonded already?" Alex asked confused.

"I have never found a person worthy until I met you. You will be the next Field Marshal Alex...I swear. Together we will bring the Domus Empire to greater glory.

Alex thought about it for a while. He had hoped that he would be able to give his bond to Jason but, with Jason in exile, he might never see him again. He felt angry that he had been forced to stay behind. All the people he had thought were his friends turned out to be only Gideon's and Jason's friends. Without them, Alex had been completely abandoned... except for Xavier. More than anyone in recent weeks, Xavier had taken special interest in him, giving him the sword he had long desired as well as the anima that gave him the strength to defeat his own weapons master. In the end, Alex based his decision on the belief that only Xavier really cared for him.

"I will give you my bond," Alex agreed.

"Good." Xavier grinned before giving Alex an Anima-filled kiss. With all the anima now in Alex's body, the bond would be strong... very strong. Xavier was sure that, with such a bond, he would be able to control the Demon he had created. Alex would be his enforcer, killing all of Xavier's enemies, starting with Perils. All it would take would be a little motivation. Xavier was sure that Perils himself would provide what was needed to push Alex over the edge.

     

Chapter Four

     

Aquanos

     

     

Sometimes the same trick can work twice. Admiral James, as reward for defeating the Centurion fleet at Eb, was given the honor of leading the invasion into Domus's chief port city of Aquanos. If that city fell, the ability of the Centurions to build a new fleet and bring in supplies would be crippled, since nearly all their military shipyards were located around the deep harbor.

There were three major obstacles to overcome, however. First, a giant chain that stretched across the mouth of the harbor, held up by three tall towers, had to be brought down lest the chain snap the masts of the Jadoorian fleet. Second, the seawall that blocked the entrance to the port and shipyards. Getting around it would require that the fleet come within range of the ballista and catapults lining the fortified wall. Finally, there was the problem presented by nature. The ocean storms, that had been bad when the Centurions made their last desperate attempt to leave Eb in late autumn, were now even more treacherous during the winter months.

The only thing Aidan thought he had to his advantage was surprise. Just as the Centurions had assumed the Western Federation would wait until late spring to attack, it seemed that the Centurions did not think their chief port city was in any danger of invasion during the storm season. It was the Admiral's job to correct them of that view.

As luck had it, James's armada made it safely into the Inner Sea and just out of sight of the Aquanos coast without running into a storm. After night had fallen, he gave the order for his small attack ships to land their men at the base of each of the three towers holding up the giant chain. If his men could not take at least one of the towers, this attack would be all for naught. An hour passed, the time it would take for the attack ships to reach the towers...another hour, then a third. Impatient, Admiral James was tempted to send in his larger ships to add their support but then, on the far horizon, a green flame popped up signifying the fall of one of the towers. James, jumping out of his hammock, heard his men give out a cheer as if Domus itself had already fallen.

"Admiral?" one of James's commanders asked.

"Yes, Kyle?"

"Shall we order the attack?"

"No need, commander...as you can see the fleet is already on the move." James laughed.

The commander watched his fleet come to life. The torches that had been extinguished were relit and the rowers moved their ships forward at top speed. When James's flagship arrived at the entrance to the bay, the chain was indeed down and his men were marching from the towers towards the seawall. It would be their responsibility to remove the Centurions manning those defenses.

As soon as most of the fleet was in the outer harbor, James ordered the arrow and fire boats to attack. These boats were small, with one sail, four oarsmen, and six archers. They moved close enough to the seawall that the catapults could not hit them. Then the archers started shooting at the Centurions who were trying their best to aim large boulders at the Jadoorian ships.

According to Jadoorian spies, only ten thousand, white-armored, Home Guard garrisoned the city. In his thousand-boat fleet, James had fifty thousand troops besides the rowers. Already, twenty thousand were on land making the five-mile dash to the seawall.

The Admiral watched with glee as fires started to appear on the seawall, the war machines catching on fire from the arrows his boats had been aiming at them. Then he saw the Jadoorian black and white flag moving along the seawall, ever closer to the lighthouse at its end.

When the black and white flag appeared at the top the five-story lighthouse, James's men let out another great cheer. The fleet started to move again, this time into the inner harbor. There they were met by a small fleet of attack and merchant vessels but there was no hope of them holding back the armada of Jadoorian warships. The only victories by the small Centurion fleet were setting fire to their own ships and ramming them into the closest enemy vessel. Although that only slightly slowed down the Jadoorian fleet, it was enough of a delay to set fire to the piers, preventing the Jadoorian ships from docking.

     

James, however, had been prepared for that. On the decks of his warships were large wooden barges made of green wood. He sent out the order for them to be dropped into the water. While the boats were under constant barrage of flaming arrows, the skilled pilots soon had them lined up and tied together into new makeshift piers.

The large warships then docked and lowered their ladders, letting their men climb down onto the makeshift piers and into the city of Aquanos. After three hours of fighting, the port and warehouse district were under Jadoorian control.

James then left his flagship to get a better view of the battle. With fifty thousand of his men engaged against just a token force of Centurions, they were making rapid progress.

Finding resistance only at the commanding general's citadel, and around the Legatio governor's house, James was watching as his men began to ram the gates of the governor's house when a white flag appeared at the window.

"Look at that, men...the poor governor wants to surrender." James laughed.

In the end, it turned out not to be so easy. The governor wanted to surrender, but his Centurion guards did not. When the gates finally fell, the remaining Centurions charged out carrying a bound and gagged governor with them.

It would have been nice to capture the governor alive, but unfortunately he died in the shower of arrows rained down on the Centurions by the Jadoorian archers. Still, three of the Centurions were able to fight their way to the general's garrison and climb over the walls with the aid of a rope ladder.

As the sun began to rise, all of the city but the garrison was under Jadoorian control. It had been a bloody battle. The total dead and wounded numbered over seventeen thousand, and three thousand men were still unaccounted for. Even Admiral James was bloody, having found himself in a few sword fights as he made his way between different crisis points.

While taking a rest from the battle, James saw Commander Kyle walking up to him, followed by three, black-robed, Famulus. "Admiral...may I recommend you take a chance to relax and enjoy your victory?" he asked, his speech slurred by drink.

     

"What do you have in mind, commander?" James smiled tiredly, his nose wrinkling at the smell of the commander's breath.

"The bathhouse was not damaged. Some of the Templar guards wanted it to be burned, but we informed them that you wanted the city taken in one piece."

"Yes...we are here as liberators," James said loud enough for the Famulus servants to hear even though he knew they would not understand him.

"Well, sir, the baths are still running...and the Famulus are working as if nothing has happened. The water is nice and warm. A massage afterwards would also not be bad," Kyle grinned as he handed the Admiral a wine skin.

"Well then, commander, I think we should take advantage of the situation." James smiled before taking a deep swig of the wine. "Huronite...not bad."

Commander Kyle nodded to the three Famulus servants, who came forward and began undressing both him and the admiral so that they could change into clean white robes. When they removed the men's loincloths, one of the Famulus said something in his own language that triggered laughter from all three of them.

"What did they say?" James asked Kyle. The commander had been attached to the Admiral due to his knowledge of the Domus dialect.

"I am embarrassed to say this, sir, but they are laughing at our manhoods." Kyle blushed.

"What's so funny about them?"

"It has to do with the fact that they see us as Centurions. All Centurion warriors are circumcised when they enter adulthood."

"So?" James asked, not getting what the Famulus found funny.

"The Famulus called us 'children soldiers'."

"What?!" James laughed.

"Yes..." Kyle laughed as well.

"We fight and die by the thousands to free them, and they call us children!" James said in disbelief.

     

"I have a way of showing them that we are men." Kyle grinned. He looked to see if any Templars were nearby, seeing that there were none, he moved closer to his Admiral and gave him a quick peck on the check.

"Kyle?" James said with raised eyebrows.

"When in Domus, do as the locals do," the commander said nervously, a little embarrassed that he had dared to kiss his superior officer.

"Kyle...I have never been with a man," James said confused.

"But you are supporting King Aidan."

"That is because I respect him."

"I'm sorry..." the embarrassed commander replied, his head hanging low, walking away.

"Hey...don't go away!" James shouted, pulling Kyle back.

"Why? I just made a fool of myself," Kyle said, trying to hide his tears.

"Can I just ask you why...why me?" James asked, lifting up the man's face so he could look into his deep blue eyes.

"Well, you are handsome...I watched you swimming naked on the beach back when we were patrolling the southern isles." Kyle smiled as he reached over and brushed James's tanned cheek.

"You liked what you saw?" James laughed.

"I like everything about you, Admiral. You are a great man. I have felt blessed that you have allowed me to be your personal aid."

"You earned it. You are smart, considerate, and...beautiful," James finally realized as he tilted his head to kiss the young commander.

"Why?" Kyle asked when James released the kiss.

"I have a confession to make. Yes, I have been with many women. Yes, I have found the sex enjoyable. But no, I have never fallen in love with any of them, let alone cared for them. I care about you, Kyle...more than I have ever let myself realize."

"Do you love me?" Kyle asked in a pleading voice.

     

"I don't know if I love you the way you love me...but I'm willing to find out."

"Alright!" Kyle grinned, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Now, how about we go to the bathhouse? I hear that they are so large that several men can bath at the same time. We can pretend that we are back at the southern isles, but this time I will be watching you as much as you will be watching me."

"Yes," Kyle agreed, as he began to lead his Admiral, and hero, toward the marbled bathhouse.

   

Copyright © 2013 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..